• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Large Medieval World Roleplay and Worldbuilding

Leon Gallio

Hi all, I'm interested in a classical good old comfort food medieval roleplay with fantasy elements, and allowing stuff like ridiculously sized anime style greatswords, but within a medieval context.

LINK!

I have a few simple concepts in it:

-Medieval Chivalry, but modernized
-Magic that functions as modern communication technology
-Classical Medieval Governing Systems, but ideological flexibility
-Balance of classic and dark worldbuilding
-Some realism, but vigorously opposed to grimdark
-Upward mobility
-Wars, Intrigue, Romance...
-A Sith style dark order
-A balanced, varied world
-Willingness to improvise or retcon, worldbuild as we go
-Sorcerers, Demons, Priests, Druids, Dragons, etc.
-Varied mythos, from Christian to Celtic, Slavic, Norse, Greek, Mesopotamian etc. to Indic and Eastern to even Islamic
-Regular activity and a laid-back atmosphere
-Fun above all!

Open to all!

Last edited:
Hey! I might toss my hat into the ring. I’ll probably be focusing on some worldbuilding elements more than the actual RP itself, but I’m happy to bring in a few characters to RP with as well.

I always wonder why all the medieval fantasy roleplays take place in a good hopeful kingdom.

Hey! I might toss my hat into the ring. I’ll probably be focusing on some worldbuilding elements more than the actual RP itself, but I’m happy to bring in a few characters to RP with as well.
Put me down for world building as well, I have a map or two already drawn up that we can borrow features from or use. Got some factions ideas floating around in the old noodle too that might work well.

I'm mainly interested in the rp but if I come up with any ideas I'll be sure to informmm

I always wonder why all the medieval fantasy roleplays take place in a good hopeful kingdom.
I kinda wonder that, too. And it's so funny that everyone seems to completely ignore any type of religion especially considering that religion (Papacy; Religious Wars; Crusades; etc)) and death (Religious Wars; Plague; etc.) were literally defining elements of the medieval world.

***And let me clarify that this is NOT to say that all medieval stories should be outright mired in evangelism. I only say that sometimes instead of the things everyone's so familiar with i.e. dragons, knights, armor, etc., maybe sometimes take a look at some of the more unpleasant aspects that give your heroes something to actually confront... that doesn't breathe fire.

Look. Not everyone wants those themes in their fantasy. Especially because it’s real world, and fantasy is usually an escape from the real world.

Look. Not everyone wants those themes in their fantasy. Especially because it’s real world, and fantasy is usually an escape from the real world.
Look. Not everyone's looking for an escape. Some are just looking for a good time/story/experience. I'm not twisting anyone's arm and quite frankly not even going so far as to recommend it. Someone brought up an interesting point earlier and I (apparently egregiously) decided to add my two cents. If it means stepping on other peoples' fun, then by all means I don't think realism should be added, then. Let's just agree to disagree and leave it there, yes?

Look. Not everyone's looking for an escape. Some are just looking for a good time/story/experience. I'm not twisting anyone's arm and quite frankly not even going so far as to recommend it. Someone brought up an interesting point earlier and I (apparently egregiously) decided to add my two cents. If it means stepping on other peoples' fun, then by all means I don't think realism should be added, then. Let's just agree to disagree and leave it there, yes?
Yes, agree.

Its just a very curious trend. Just like when there is a massive moment of epic strife, war or cataclysm but then everything gets solved before the heroes come in. And the rp starts in the times of peace right after.

All the cool and terrible stuff ended before the rp even begins!

I would like a story that takes place right in the heat of things, so I can stop going through the "low level, peaceful town adventurer experience" and work to make the world a better place right away instead of waiting for it to get worse again.

Its just a very curious trend. Just like when there is a massive moment of epic strife, war or cataclysm but then everything gets solved before the heroes come in. And the rp starts in the times of peace right after.

All the cool and terrible stuff ended before the rp even begins!

I would like a story that takes place right in the heat of things, so I can stop going through the "low level, peaceful town adventurer experience".
Well what’s our concern with that when world building is a thing we’re doing here? We can make it however we want.

Well what’s our concern with that when world building is a thing we’re doing here? We can make it however we want.
Then lets go ham! The kindgom is losing the war, corruption is rampant and the holy church is increasing its oppression towards the "lesser races" instead of doing anything to actually help.

So whan can we do? Try to help our kingdom? That would take a big reform, maybe a revolution. What about the church? Destroy it? Take over it? Play their game and build a fake Messiah? Should we focus in helping out kingdom survive the war first?

A chaotic, morally ambiguous setting, but as condensed as possible. Creating a whole world would just dilute the experience.

What do you guys think?

Then lets go ham! The kindgom is losing the war, corruption is rampant and the holy church is increasing its oppression towards the "lesser races" instead of doing anything to actually help.

So whan can we do? Try to help our kingdom? That would take a big reform, maybe a revolution. What about the church? Destroy it? Take over it? Play their game and build a fake Messiah? Should we focus in helping out kingdom survive the war first?

A chaotic, morally ambiguous setting, but as condensed as possible. Creating a whole world would just dilute the experience.

What do you guys think?
I think we should ask the guy who’s running this first. But honestly I’m more of a fan of peaceful things so I don’t know.

What do you guys think?
I think having multiple kingdoms in flux, with one or more facing a similar situation such as this one, could prove to provide ample settings for everyone. We gotta remember, the settings heavily influence character backgrounds, and everyone's gonna want widely different histories for their peeps.

I do like the idea of a kingdom losing a conflict, horribly so, to the point where they have to result to terrible policies or face capitulation. Perhaps there's a civilization that's pushing a certain sect of their citizenry into slavery in order to rapidly raise production. Or, building off the idea of religious revolution, perhaps there's a country edging closer to civil war due to a theological divide in their people.

Good! We need that! The choice to have no map is because in my experience, keeping track of it, making the proportions look just right in geography etc. is too much of a chore, and nations can look like the map version of uncanny valley. Making it a fantasy version of our world would be cool but I think that it'd be seen as lazy, rightfully so.

I think having multiple kingdoms in flux, with one or more facing a similar situation such as this one, could prove to provide ample settings for everyone. We gotta remember, the settings heavily influence character backgrounds, and everyone's gonna want widely different histories for their peeps.

I do like the idea of a kingdom losing a conflict, horribly so, to the point where they have to result to terrible policies or face capitulation. Perhaps there's a civilization that's pushing a certain sect of their citizenry into slavery in order to rapidly raise production. Or, building off the idea of religious revolution, perhaps there's a country edging closer to civil war due to a theological divide in their people.
Trust me, multiple kingdoms will exist. There are dozens of them! Dozens!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back