• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Koulwarth: The Initiation

That's alright, Meriel, it's only your first try. Even the best magicians struggled to understand magic when they were young, probably.
How about a hug?

Stats
Ambrose
Female Resident

Health: 89

Strength: 7
Agility: 6
Intelligence: 6
Charisma: 7

RELATIONSHIPS

Elmyra: 78

Meriel: 67

Laeroth: 53

Roran: 55

Viessa: 33

Aymer: 41

You pull Meriel into a hug, and she seamlessly melts into your embrace, sobbing into your shoulder. You rub small circles on her back, and wonder how long you've been standing here in this position.

Eventually, her sobs slow to sniffles, and she pulls away, face red as she daintily wipes her tears away. She doesn't look at you, eyes fixed on the floor. After a moment, she speaks, her voice croaky. "Th-thank you..." she mumbles. "...I need to... s-sit down... for... a moment..." She turns away quickly and returns to the sitting area, where she turns towards the wall, successfully hiding her face.

It doesnt look like she's in any way upset with you (quite the contrary), but it does look like she desires some time alone to collect herself.

You decide to:

Try the spell yourself. (Requirement: 6 Intelligence)
Ask someone else to try the spell.
Drop the spell idea and continue searching manually on your own.
Drop the spell idea and continue searching manually with someone else.

OOC
( ViciousVip3R ViciousVip3R official clown business official clown business No relationship bonus atm, but don't worry! We'll come back to this moment ?)
Voting ends Feb 3, 2018 at 7:00am PST

Well, that backfires spectacularly but at least we saved it. Time to tempt fate and try the spell ourselves. (Maybe an explosion is a good way to find the exit to this place.)

Stats
Ambrose
Female Resident

Intelligence: 6

RELATIONSHIPS

You think you can probably pull off the spell yourself. You mirror what Meriel had done, closing your eyes and holding your hands out in front of you. Then you concentrate as hard as you can.

On what? You don't know; you didn't read the book.

Finding no success, you open your eyes and frown. Maybe you just weren't concentrating hard enough. Or maybe you could ask someone else with more magical prowess for some insight.

You decide to:

Scan the bookshelves for St. Eldas' Magic Theory.
Ask someone else about the spell.
Try the spell again, but concentrate way harder than last time.
Drop the spell idea and continue searching manually on your own.
Drop the spell idea and continue searching manually with someone else.

OOC
( ViciousVip3R ViciousVip3R Nah, no explosions (for now ?)! Look at me leavin this suspense for yall ??)
Voting ends Feb 3, 2018 at 11:00pm PST

Last edited:
Stats
Ambrose
Female Resident

Intelligence: 7

RELATIONSHIPS

You decide to try to find the book Meriel mentioned before. Something about Magic Theory? Didn't you have something like that in your room?

Ah! You spot St. Eldas' Magic Theory on one of the shelves, hidden between two much larger books with unpronouncable titles. Taking it, you begin to flip through the pages in search of the spell Meriel spoke of. It takes you a while, and you skim many pages containing tutorials and notes on how to focus one's mind to properly cast magic spells. +1 Intelligence!

Eventually, you find the page you desire. You read it, then reread it a few times just to be sure you understand it completely. Meriel did say that this was a risky spell.

You retake your stance from before, eyes closed and hands outstretched. This time, you also firmly plant your legs and make sure you are standing as straight as possible. Then, you focus very hard on the ground, which by entension links to the walls, which in turn will link to any sort of contraption or mechanism.

After a moment, you begin to hear a faint hum in your ears, and as you open your eyes, the world is inverted in color, and you can see other rooms, as though tou are looking at a 3D blueprint of the place (not that Ambrose would know what that is, but you get the idea).

You feel vibrations in the back of your head, and you turn. You see something off color, almost white and shimmering, but its quite far off, definitely not in this room. As you focus, you see a few more of a similar nature, but again, all are too far away to be of much use at the moment.

You close your eyes again, abandon your stance, and open them, finding the world returned to normal. "It was worth a try," you mumble to yourself, disappointed, but also slightly proud at yourself for successfully casting such a spell.

You glance around, and spot Laeroth staring at you from the balcony, like a bird in a nest. You lock eye contact, but he doesn't look away, so you do before it gets uncomfortable. You wonder if he was watching you. You look back, but he's gone.

You decide to:

Try to find Laeroth and talk to him.
Continue searching manually on your own.
Continue searching manually with someone else.

OOC
( ViciousVip3R ViciousVip3R my alARM DIDNT GO OFF IM SORRY IM HERE ?)
Voting ends Feb 4, 2018 at 9:00pm PST

Yep, let's see if we can help anyone else find... whatever we're supposed to be looking out. If it stands out, that's gotta be it, I suppose.
If our choices from there are the same as last time, I suspect Laeroth will be able to figure things out on his end, and Aymer is the only other person by himself. So, I'd be interested to see what kind of progress Aymer's made so far.

Stats
Ambrose
Female Resident

RELATIONSHIPS

Finding that Meriel's spell was, in a word, useless, you decide to find someone else to search with.

Meriel is already out of the question. She definitely looks better and more at ease than before, but she still ooks a bit shaken, so you figure leaving her alone a bit longer is probably for the best.

Aymer is still searching alone, as is Viessa. Laeroth is nowhere to be found, but you assume he's skulking around and is fine on his own. Roran and Elmyra are together still, but the latter seems ready to sit beside Meriel to take a break.

You decide to search with:

Aymer.
Viessa.
Roran and Elmyra.

OOC
( ViciousVip3R ViciousVip3R A short one today lol! Also official clown business official clown business ik you kinda already voted to search with Aymer but I figured id leave it open in case Vicious or Pryno Pryno or anyone else wanted to vote differently ? also due to school/work, i think im gonna keep updates to once per day instead of two; hope thats okay with yall!! ??)
Voting ends Feb 5, 2018 at 10:30pm PST

Last edited:
(All good, life comes first!)

I'll also vote for Aymer since I find no reason to disagree with Jake, or any of the points he has mentioned.

Back! And yes, I'm a french Canadian. A Quebecker, to be precise.

Anyway, since we messed up with Viessa (and that our bad boy is gonna need someone that he trusts to keep him under control), I will follow the others and vote for Aymer.

Stats
Ambrose
Female Resident

RELATIONSHIPS

Aymer: 44

You head over to Aymer, who is hanging around the bookshelves in the middle of the room. He is tracing his finger along each row, but as he sees you approach, he coolly acts as though he could care less about actually looking.

"Hey, Aymer," you say as you move alongside him.

He shrugs in your direction. "Hey."

"Do you wanna look around together?"

He makes eye contact with you, then looks away. "I guess. Since there's no one else around."

You roll your eyes fondly. He obviously has no qualms with you; he's merely maintaining his 'independent bad boy' facade. You can tell he's glad you took the time to ask him. +3 Relationship!

"Have any place in mind?" he asks. "I kinda went over these already." He gestures to the bookshelves beside him.

You want to search:

The sitting area.
The fireplace.
The upstairs balcony.
The bookshelves in the middle of the room.
The bookshelves along the walls.
Where the door used to be.

OOC
( ViciousVip3R ViciousVip3R Pryno Pryno Aw thanks guys!! And okay cool beans; just wanted to be sure lol! ?)
Voting ends Feb 6, 2018 at 9:00pm PST

Huh, looking back the door (that disappeared) should have been the first thing we checked. Guess we should check it now.

So, where could the exit be? I see I few possibilities: under the rug (in the sitting area), hidden behind a bookshelf (with the classic mecanism) or behind the fireplace. The flames are blue; what if they didn't burn? We should test that with a book of lesser value. The balcony could be interesting too: it's a good place for loot.

Let's say...the upstairs balcony.

ViciousVip3R ViciousVip3R Pryno Pryno

Welp... as we have a tie, Ill extend the voting period to 7:00am PST in case official clown business official clown business wants to give his 2 cents lol ?

Part of me just wants to give you guys both, but i feel like Ive been too nice abt that ? and Im not really a fan of leaving it to chance/leaving someone out (at least in this scenario haha) If nothing changes by then, I guess Ill flip a coin or smth pfft

Thanks guys!!! <3

No, I'm gonna vote now.
The problem is that I don't like either of the options 'cause I don't expect much to be gained from the door now that it's gone, and Laeroth was last seen at the upstairs balcony.
What do I think, then? The bookshelves in the middle of the room are as good as any of the options around here. Perhaps we should leave things up to chance after all.

Hmm, maybe I could explain my choice: So we walk into a room, and then the door closes behind us with no warning. Why would we even go searching in other locations before first checking the door? We have received no instructions, so we don't even know if we are trying to leave this room, but the door is certainly the best starting point, no matter what we do next. By checking the door, we can glean all sorts of information about our current predicament: was the door set off by a pressure sensor, remotely controlled, etc. which should dictate what our next step would be. (Yes, I'm aware that the spell turned nothing up, but we are still new to this whole magic thing, and certainly a physical check, even a cursory one, is better than assuming that we can afford to overlook the entrance) Sometimes the simplest option is the solution, it sure seems illogical to go searching for an exit without first checking to see if we can open what we are certain is a point of entry. Once we assure ourselves that the closed door does not require further investigation, we can focus on gleaning as much knowledge as possible from the bookshelves. I'm sure with everyone else searching that we will find a way out of here sooner or later, but we should improve our knowledge while we can. (On that note, I also think that the balcony doesn't offer too much promise other than a view of the whole room, but who needs that when we have a "blueprint", and of course, as Jake mentioned, Laeroth is also currently there, so there shouldn't be any loot there either.)

Well, I better quickly change my vote to the door before anything else happens. Maybe we'll see something no one else was expecting to see. We're gonna be in this room for a while so I suppose we may as well take all the time we need to look around.

Stats
Ambrose
Female Resident

RELATIONSHIPS

"I kinda wanna check out where we came in. The door's gone, but maybe there are some other clues left behind."

Aymer shrugs. "Whatever."

The two of you move over to where you came in, and sure enough, the door is still missing. However, there is a faint outline of what looks like a doorframe. At first you get excited, but then realize that it isn't a huge clue, just the fading on the wall where the doorframe used to be. There are also scuff marks leading back into the wall, as though the steps they belonged to were cut off suddenly. Aymer even knocks on the wall, but it is solid rather than hollow. There is no room adjacent that way anymore.

"Must be some kind of mechanism or latch," Aymer ponders quietly. "Doors and rooms don't just disappear."

You wonder if you should tell him what you found with Meriel's spell. You still don't really know if you can trust him after all.

You:

Just tell Aymer about the spell. You can trust him.
Use the spell again, closer to the door, without him knowing. It might be something small you couldn't see from the other side of the room.
Use the spell again, closer to the door, but tell Aymer first.
Don't use the spell, and don't mention it to him.

OOC
( official clown business official clown business ViciousVip3R ViciousVip3R Pryno Pryno Alright there we go!! Thanks u guys ? Also nice commentary; i love it!!! ?)
Voting ends Feb 7, 2018 at 11:00pm PST

I trust Aymer, but I'm not sure if he could do it know. If he failed, he could get hurt. I think we should explain him, for a future use, and then make a demonstration. The next time (and I'm sure that there will be a next time), he will do it.

Edit: That meant 3. The demonstration was supposed to be for the door. It was unclear, my bad ^^'

Last edited:
I think we should tell Aymer about the spell, but that doesn't mean we have to show him how to do it. (We should keep any tactical advantage we have while gaining his trust) Then we should proceed to use the spell to inspect the door further, it would make sense that proximity affects the spell.

Yep, let's close in for this one. Surely, there's no harm in telling Aymer as well. I don't believe he'll be able to use it himself, but it'll be nice if we really start trusting each other and he understands what we're about to do.
Clearly, it's going to work this time.

Stats
Ambrose
Female Resident

RELATIONSHIPS

"I don't think it was a mechanism," you say, eyeing the outline of the door frame. "I used a spell earlier that detects things like that, but i didn't see anything. But maybe now that I'm closer, I can try again."

Aymer stares at you, eyes wide. "You used a spell?" he manages, expression appearing as something between horror and fear, though its hard to tell. "You used.. magic?"

You nod. "Um... yes, why?"

He tenses, shakes himself, and looks away, trying to regain his nonchalant demeanor. "No reason. It's just... hard, I hear." As you ready your stance, he adds, "Just don't do it close to me!" and backs up several paces.

You close your eyes and focus on the ground again, and when you open your eyes, the 'blueprint' is already much clearer than before. You don't see anything around the door frame, but you do see a small pulley-looking object through the wall to your right. Other than that, you find nothing of interest, so you reopen your eyes to the natural world.

Aymer is staring at you, a little too intensely, but he says nothing.

"There wasn't anything by the door, so that must have been magic too. I did see something behind that wall, though," you inform him. "I'll go get the oth--"

"No," Aymer interrupts. "Don't say anything to the others. Let's check it out ourselves first. If it's a way out, then we'll tell them. If not, I say we keep it to ourselves." He moves to the place in the wall that you indicated and begins feeling around. "We might just have to break through, though."

You could do as he says, and try to find some instrument of destructiom to break through the wall. However, you could also try to find a spell to help you phase through the wall, though you don't know how fond Aymer will be of that idea, not to mention you might suffocate to death inside the wall if you fail. Even still, you could tell the rest of the group so you can work something out together, or perhaps get Aymer to drop the entire idea and trynto find an exit somewhere else.

After a moment of consideration, you decide to:

Break through the wall.
Phase through the wall.
Gather the group and tell them about the mechanism.
Keep it hush-hush and only recruit one person from the group to help you.
Drop the entire thing and look somewhere else.

OOC
( official clown business official clown business ViciousVip3R ViciousVip3R Pryno Pryno Confession: when writing that, by "tell Aymer" i didnt mean to imply "teach Aymer", so thats my bad ? but its cool, cause he doesn't really seem to wanna learn ayway lmbo)
Voting ends Feb 8, 2018 at 9:00pm PST

I totally believe that we should keep this to ourselves for now, and am relieved that Laeroth agrees. With that being said, I think we should try the spell, as every new spell we learn is another spell in our arsenal.

If it's the only exit, we will have to come back later. Finding another one could be interesting, as it will surely lead to somewhere else. According to logic, there are no chance to arrive at a new place if we use the same door. Then again, this place's architecture doesn't make any sense. Breaking and phasing are dangerous anyway. Aymer would be displeased if we told another person. Maybe that we will come back, but that's for another time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back