• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Knights of Pine Shrew

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Esmeralda's suspicions of Pineshrew were only further confirmed by Eculind's words, though she was relieved to hear her father was alright. Her body seemed to want to run back there, and him out of there, however, for she knew Pineshrew was sure to fall soon, and her father with it. That was a factor Esmeralda simply couldn't live with, he was her father after all.

"How recently has Argos been sighted?" asked Esmeralda, as her throat began to tighten.

Eculind grabbed another outfit and slipped it on. Same color as the last dress but this one was far more appealing in terms of modesty. She tiptoed over in the new outfit. “Argos has been showing up more recently as of late. Probably preparing to do something soon. He showed up at the pineshrew castle briefly.” She shrugged and gestured to her dress waiting for another opinion.

Esmeralda's eyes widened at Eculind's words, further confirming to herself that she needed to go and get her father out as soon as possible.

"I like this one a whole lot more," replied Esmeralda with clenched teeth, trying to conceal the fear in her voice, "Eculind could you do me a favor? Can you put me back into my assassin clothing, I'll need to be going soon, don't want Corrian to become too worried."

Euclind preened at Esmeraldas compliment. She spun a slow circle enjoying her new outfit. Her smile faded at Esmeraldas request. She stopped facing away from her. “You want to leave already?” She turned and looked at Esmeralda. “I thought we were having fun. Were you not enjoying yourself? Did I do something wrong?” Eculind stalked away and prostrated herself on a pile of cushions. “We can do something else.” She tilted her head up and looked at Esmeralda curiously. This was the first person in a long time who had come of their own volition simply to spend time with her. Esmeraldas desire to leave left Eculind with dangerous thoughts of keeping her here. She licked her lips at the thought. Considering her options. Eculind did not do such consciously but magic swirled at her fingertips in tiny purple strands of smoke.

Esmeralda began to scramble in her mind as Eculind went from content to dangerous. She could tell Eculind was not happy at the prospect of Esmeralda leaving so soon, which caused her to begin to tell Eculind the truth.

"It's not that I'm not enjoying myself," replied Esmeralda, "How about we go and do something outside of this alchemy room, I hear that a great new restaurant opened up not too far from here."

Esmeralda prayed that her proposal would calm Eculind's magic from doing something to her. She needed to get to Pinshrew as soon as possible but understood that in order to do that without too many repercussions she would need to comply with Eculind's desire to get to know her better.

Eculind relaxed at hearing that Esmerlada was enjoying herself. The girl did want a change of scenery however. That caused Eculind a new form of strife. “Ah a restaurant. Out there.” She stood and began to wave away the table into smoke. “What would you like to eat, I can make it right here. No reason to leave.”

“Oh no I quite like the outside.” She said with a brief smile. “But the king.” Her voice dropped and she looked at Esmeralda inquisitively. Her mouth slowly worded something but she changed her mind. “Maybe, uh you should go.” She balled her fists and stifled her cracking voice as best she could. She twirled her hand and Esmeralda was back in her original outfit. However now there was a necklace with a small pendant about her neck. “Keep that on you. It’s a gift. I hope to see you again soon Esmeralda.” A gust of wind and an invisible hand guided Esmeralda out the door and the door clicked behind her.

Esmeralda's hand shot to the small pendant on her neck, thinking back to yet another bizarre interaction with Eculind. After pondering it on her way back to the apartment Esmeralda was left with only one question, "Why wasn't Euclid allowed outside." Though such curiosities were left unanswered and Esmerlada concluded that would be for another day. Her mission now was to get back to Pineshrew and save her father.

She began packing her suitcase and barely noticed Corrian walking in.

"Hello love," she asked while placing some undergarments into their bag, "Where have you been."

Corrian had stayed distant from Esmeralda. He only barely kept her in view for the most part. He followed her scent keeping a keen ear in case he heard trouble. Nothing happened and she went where she said. Seeing her enter Eculinds castle Corrian peeled off and spent his time watching people come and go from a dark alley. No one paid him any heed, and he saw no targets of opportunity. He was primarily out here for Esmeralda's safety but if he could happen upon a mark he would make some money while he was at it.

He found no new target but Esmeralda appeared and again he tailed her from a distance. He knew she wanted to be alone. She craved her freedom. But his desire to keep her alive outweighed her desires. He wouldn't have her death on his watch. She at least kept her face covered this time. She gained some auspicious looks but no one acted out on her. Few Assasins would be foolish enough to act on a target they were not certain of. Esmeralda made it to the safe house and Corrian Loitered outside for a bit before coming in.

"Evening love, I see you didn't get turned into a rat or anything." A trip to Eculinds carried its own danger. He tilted his head as she packed. "Are you going somewhere?"

"Eculind a told me about," Esmeralda's voice cracked at just thinking about it, "About Pineshrew."

She walked over to Corrian and nestled herself into his chest, trying to calm her fears for her father.

"Corrian, I have to go back to Pineshrew. I have to go back and save my father from dying at the hands of Argos. He's come very close to the castle and I just afraid that he's already dead. I've already lost my mother Corrian, I can't lose him too, I simply couldn't bear it."

She let out choked sobs in Corrians shirt, no longer being able to keep herself together.

Pineshrew coming under attack wasn't much in the way of news. Arogs being sighted already was a tad more troublesome. If the troublesome Minotaur was making advances on Pineshrew the kingdom was likely not doing well.

"Pineshrew is going to be even more dangerous then here. It won't be easy to get your father out." Corrian held Esmeralda as she shared her sorrows with him. The timing for all this was not the best either. In only two days he would transform with the full moon. Already he was more wolf then human. Even inside the Safehouse he had kept his face covering on for the most part not wanting to so his more wolf form.

"Wanna save your dad huh? I'll help you on one condition." He leaned back so he could better look at her face. "Just let me have a good first impression with him huh? Don't want him thinking you fell in love with a regular scummy assassin."

Esmeralda let out a small laugh at Corrian's words followed by small sniffles as she tried to stop herself from crying any further. Corrian was to come with her, a fact that calmed her significantly for now she didn't have to face the evident wrath of King Baile alone. The pair then decided they would leave that evening, wanting to get there sooner than later, though they would have to stop on the second night of their journey for Corrian had to go through his wolf transformation. The two made a small campground in the middle of the forest as the sun began to set, Esmeralda looked over to Corrian with a questioning gaze.

"So, where is the best place for me to go during your whole wolf thing," she asked.

Corrian watched the setting sun contemplating how much time he had left. It wasn't much, he could feel the pull of the moon already as his wolf form wanted to break free. He wasn't looking forward to this transformation. It left him to do two things he wasn't fond of. Leaving Esmeralda for the night was something he preferred to avoid. Second, his transformation to the wolf was often painful.

"Stay here, I'll be going. I should be back in the morning." He removed his hood and boots. If he left the items on while he transformed they would be destroyed. He had made the mistake of leaving his clothing on during a transformation multiple times. He was learning now. "My level of control depends on how smoothly the process goes." He looked at Esmeralda and removed his shirt. Long gone was his normal human body. Now he was practically covered in fur. He removed his gloves which ended in clawed hands now. This was the last thing he wanted to show her. He argued it was better if she knew the truth. "You'll see what I become." The sun disappeared behind the trees and he began to hunch and grown in pain.

A mixture of ragged breaths and gasps turned into a long howl Muscles rippled and shifted and his stance changed from bipedal to quadruped. Gone was Corrian, now was the time of Kastor. He took several long slow breaths and shifted his body. Kastor locked onto the one scent that was nearest. Human flesh. He took two steps towards Esmeralda snarling as he moved. He turned his head from side to side looking at her with each eye in turn. He towered over her and looked down at the little human. He stopped and huffed waiting for something to happen.

It took everything in Esmeralda not to run and try to comfort Corrian in his pain, but she knew what he was to become, something that could kill her if she came too close. She backed away as his human form turned wolf, suddenly overcome with fear at the scene in front of her. He was no longer than the man he loved, he was simply something else. Kastor stomped over towards her and soon was found towering over Esmeralda. A whoosh of hot air surrounded her face as he stopped in front of her, expecting her to do something.

"Hello Kastor," Esmeralda said confidently, mustering up all her courage, "How are you this evening."

Kastor took in the new scent. Familiar. Human. Metal. Weapons. He exhaled slowly and stared down at the little figure before him. His jaw opened and closed as saliva dripped from his maw. The girl proffered a question. Kastor stood there for a long moment looking at the girl in disbelief. She was too calm for the danger she faced. Even so, he would not leave her unanswered. "You should be more concerned if you will live to see the rising sun." The voice came in a snarl. It was low, too low to be properly human. "Esmeralda." He moved even closer and prodded her shoulder with his nose. "You know my name, my REAL name."

"Surely he told you that." Kastor pushed her again backing her up another step as he moved forward again. "I wonder though... Has he told you which is his real form?" Kastor licked her face. "Human flesh, I have not tasted such in some time. He makes his living killing yet so often prevents me from feeding on the same flesh he harvests for money. Maybe I should make him suffer for that."

Esmeralda kept her head up high as Kastor began speaking to her, trying to pay little attention to how much danger she was in now. The best thing Esmeralda could do right now was to keep the beast talking, distracting him from actually executing what he spoke so boldly of.

"I highly doubt killing me will make Corrian anymore sympathetic to your desires," replied Esmeralda, gently placing her hand on her short sword in case she was going to have to use it, "Have you even tried to tell him that is what you want to do?"

Last edited:
“Talk?” Kastor sidestepped Esmeralda and looked at her hand which now grabbed at her sword. “You don’t seem to like to talk much either.” He bared his fangs and a low growl issued forth. “You think you could fight me and win? What do you think would happen if you killed me?”

Kastor moved forward and pushed into the girl shoving her back. “Foolish girl, surrounded by odd things you can’t explain and still you suspect nothing.Tyrosine is not the king you think he is-” Kastor flinched and blinked rearing back in pain yet nothing had hit him. Snarls and growls turned into a long howl and the beast ran off into the woods.

Several times through the night a long howl would break the stillness of the night and animals would cower in fear. Yet as the moon waned and the sun rose. Kastor the werewolf succumbed to the will of Corrian.

Corrian staggered back to Emseralda. He gathered his clothes and dressed himself again. “Sorry about that, I should have known he would try to do something like that. Your OK right?”

Kastor, to put it simply, absolutely terrified Esmeralda and her conversation seemed to do nothing to help her case. Her defensive stance had only further angered the beast, causing her clutch on the hilt to become even tighter. Then, Kastor began to say something about King Tyrosine of Cretos, and him not being the man she thought he was.

"King Tyrosine," thought Esmeralda, "I don't even know much of him beyond him being a king."

Esmeralda brought her sword out as Kastor got too close for comfort, ready to knock the beast out. Luckily, Esmeralda believed Corrian got some hold of the beast and directed him away, causing Esmeralda to let out a shaky laugh. She laid on the ground and slept hesitantly the rest of the night, hoping Corrian would come back eventually.

A castle came into view, a castle Esmeralda knew to be Pineshrew. Her father, Alvaro came into view on the highest tower, he was backing up slowly from Argos. Esmeralda tried to scream for her father but nothing came out. SUddenly Argos sent a hoof into her father's chest, sending him flying down to the ground, lying forever on the ground with a resounding thud.

Esmeralda shot up, sweat covering her body from the nightmare. Suddenly, she heard the sound of rustling leaves causing her to draw her sword in case of danger. She let out a relieved sigh when she saw Corrian, back from his own night of hell.

"I'm fine," she replied to his question, "I'm just glad he didn't decide to fight me, Kastor seems like a formidable foe."

"Do not underestimate Kastor, he is tougher than he looks. I think he killed two bears last night." He rubbed at his neck. "And who knows what else." Corrian looked up at Esmeralda. He noticed that she looked shaken but he wasn't sure if he was the sole cause of her rough night. He had already asked if she was OK. Asking again seemed rude. Yet he could smell the fear on her still. What else could be bothering her? A lot of things really. The state of her father her continued survival and a plethora of other problems rested on the girl's shoulders.

"We should be going. Getting through Pineshrew will be difficult." The mood seemed too somber for him. He walked closer to her and gently took her chin in his hand. "C'mon now me saving your dad is bound to make a good impression on him right? Even more so when I figure out how to get this bounty off you."

Esmeralda let out a light chuckle at Corrian's words, "My father should love you regardless based on my feelings of you, but yes, that would help your case much."

Getting up, Esmeralda ran her finger through her hair, straitening it out as she thought on her journey ahead. She was very anxious to get back to Pineshrew to find her father again. The two were off for Pineshrew soon after, and as the day turned into night, Esmeralda's heart beat quicker and quicker. As they approached Pineshrew, Esmeralda turned to Corrian.

"So how do we want to approach this?" she asked him.

Last edited:
Corrian was reassured as much as he could be that Esmeralda was doing OK. All the same she was ready to get to Pineshrew. He would not hinder her. Even as tired as he was. They travelled on and at some point they crossed the border for Pineshrew. Not much was different. But as they continued to travel it became more apparent that something was wrong. The smell of smoke became more pungent. Corrian picked up on other scents as well. Blood, distant but it was there. Rot, smells of death he was all too familiar with. It was faint but soon Emseralda would pick up on it as well.

The pair broke through a thicket of trees and on the other side were the first clear signs of destruction. A lone farmstead smoldered surrounded by burned fields of crops. Corrian did not even bother to check the house. If anyone was inside they would be dead. He got closer to Esmeralda. “We will need to stay on guard. We do not know where Argos keeps his forces or if he has patrols. We would do well to avoid any of those.” As they traveled the destruction was the same everywhere they went. It was not contained to just homes and crops. Even farm animals were found picked clean, likely eaten by the hungry armies of Argos. The source of the smoke smell could be seen as they crested a hill and an entire forest blazed burning up a hillside. It would seem not even nature would be safe from Argos.

Though distant they could see the outline of the castle as well. Corrian picked up the faint sounds of battle even from here. It would seem that the castle of Pineshrew was currently under siege. Corrian sighed and looked at Esmeralda. “We got our work cut out for us if we want to get into there. Looks like they haven't gotten through the gate yet though. That's good news for your father at least.” Corrian stopped and turned his head sharply to the left. He heard something coming yet as he scanned the land he saw nothing. He followed the sound and looked up. Pegasus. Six of them flew directly for the pair. “Run! We need to get back into the woods so they cannot chase us so easily. I can only fight them if they land.” Corrian bolted for the tree line as he heard flapping wings closing in towards them.

Esmeralda was shocked at the sight that was in front of her, the peaceful home she once knew had been destroyed, replaced with ruin. Tears pricked her eyes as she began to recognize pieces of past neighbors' homes scattered around. Argos had finally begun his attack, and it seemed he was winning. Luckily, Corrian was remaining more alert than she was and pointed out the herd of Pegasus flying towards them.

Esmeralda's feet moved before she thought they would, sending her sprinting into the woods alongside Corrian. She brought out her shortsword as she mentally prepared herself for the battle ahead. One pegasus swopped down just as Esmeralda was reaching the tree line of the forest, causing Esmeralda to send her blade up in the air, slicing the mare's stomach. The remainder of the pack let out an angry whinny as their partner fell to the ground, and prepared themselves to avenge their friend's death.

Corrian beat Esmeralda to the tree line and turned in time to see her swing her blade into a pegasus. The other beasts banked away at the treeline. Corrian began to draw throwing knives but he could already see the beasts were fleeing. He watched in disbelief waiting for the creatures to return. But they flew steadily away. Esmeralda had only killed one though. It seemed more likely they were going to get help. The creatures would be at a disadvantage here in the woods and they knew it. “Good they've left us for now.” Corrian motioned for Esmeralda to follow and he moved deeper into the woods.

“We should hide out till nightfall. We will have better luck getting into the castle then anyway. You know of a back way in or something right?”

Esmeralda was glad to be rid of the beasts, at least for now, and agreed wholeheartedly to Corrian's statement until waiting till nightfall.

"I don't know anyways back in," replied Esmeralda, "I wasn't allowed to leave the palace without the permission of my father, and when I did it was mostly with Zathar."

Esmeralda watched the tree line of the forest hesitantly, in case the pegasi decided to come back with more friends. She thought back to her days at the palace, scouring her for any mention of a secret passageway into the palace until she realized something.

"Wait Corrian," she asked turning to him, "Didn't you do research on Pineshrew before accepting the job here. Did any of it tell you of any secret passageways into the castle."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back