• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Knew we shoulda nuked it from orbit... (An AvP Story!)

Characters
Here

ManofManyRoles

Fantasy and Sci-fi Enthusiast
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
LV-767 Jungle Swamp, five miles north of the colony, three days post arrival
Hunting Party

It had been three days and some change since the Hunting Party had touched down on the planet, their arrival granted by a small Scout Ship which had been allotted to them from the Cunning Death clan's Mothership. It was difficult to determine how long ago the Serpent nest had begun to take root on the planet or if any humans remained of the original civilian caste who had resided here at one point. Ultimately, it was of very little concern to Ghan'tha-cte if any of them were alive anymore or not or if they had been turned into hosts for the swelling nest. Already the human warrior caste had begun to arrive to offer support to their kin in this time of panic for them. Up until now he'd managed to avoid interacting with them, though he was not yet certain if the same could be said for the rest of the Hunting Party. Typically a solitary individual, it was against his routine methods to lead a party in such an endeavor. But if he was to be able to continue to better himself and earn the title of 'Elder', he had to refine his skills with the more social side of things. Perched from a large branch in the tree he had taken to utilizing for the past twenty minutes as an observation point he glanced around, head swiveling this way and that before the clicking of his mandibles could be heard as he spoke, keying into the biomasks localized radio frequency to communicate with the hunting party. "More soft-meat have begun to arrive as of late. They all appear to be of their warrior caste, though I suspect many will simply become fuel for the Serpent's growth." The Elite stood upright from his kneeling perch before leaping forward by a good dozen meters to another tree branch, the wood creaking in protest below him and shaking as he thudded down on it, the biomasks visual settings cycling a few times before landing on the EM Field Detector...nothing. "These swamps have emptied of the serpents as of late...I suspect they've taken notice of easier prey."
9c0f2a27b530bdbda2f5178929abfcff.png

Worthlessplebian Worthlessplebian Murdergurl Murdergurl GojiBean GojiBean
---------------------------------

LV-767, Novis Colony, one day after touch down, Alpha Platoon F.O.B, reconfigured colony nexus building
USCSM

'Just another bug-hunt'. No such damn thing as 'just another hunt'. Every time they had to deal with an infestation something new, stupid, or new AND stupid happened to them all. This drops 'new AND stupid' one may ask? Hasn't presented itself yet, but Hardy was a learned man who knew it'd only take time for the other shoe to drop. Bzzt, crackle "Hardy, do you ready me?" A sigh escaped the Staff Sergeant as the female voice crackled to life over his commset in his ear, causing him to nod his head. "Like a book, Lieutenant Hale. What's wrong?" "Why do you assume somethings wrong?" "Because you never radio me on these fekken drops with good news, ma'am. What'd Alpha Platoon do this time?" "Aren't you just charming this drop, Staff Sergeant? We've lost contact with three of your squads to your east. The Kilo, Bravo, and Charlie squads have been stationary and radio silent for the past thirty minutes, half a click from your location." There came a loud sound from the marine as he glanced around at the F.O.B that bustled and buzzed with the energy of the stationed forces, giving a nod. "Understood, Lieutenant. I'll get a group together and look into it." "Much obliged."

Hardy paused to reach up and change the radio frequency he was on to to a private channel utilized by the field forces of Alpha Platoon to avoid commands comms being flooded with chatter. "Alright boys and girls, orders from on high just came through. We need to run a patrol, we've got three squads who have gone silent. Sergeant Raines, Private 'T.J', Lance Corporal Byrd, Kali, I want you all to form up with me at the east entrance to the F.O.B in five." There came the sound of clicking at a keyboard as Hardy ran a routine check of the F.O.B's sentry emplacements, a soft 'dammit' under his breath audible before he spoke again. "Jensen, may as well rally with us there as well. Two of the six sentries is on the fritz and not responding, we'll need you to take a look at them. Let's move people, clocks ticking." Hardy stepped away from the console before heading due east towards the entrance/exit of the Nexus which opened up into the industrialized colony that lay surrounded by a jungle's and swamps to the north and west and hills and plains by south and east. Slinging his shotgun from his back he looked it over a few times, checking the safety and that the weapon was prepared to empty a slug into the nearest ugly that was asking for it. Part of him hoped that the squads were just goofing off, but deep down he highly doubted it was that simple...it never was.
tumblr_odd0lriqGH1vp3hgzo1_1280.png

GojiBean GojiBean Becker Becker Commissar Darman Commissar Darman Karcen Karcen

LV-767 Jungle Swamp, four point eight miles north of the colony, three days post arrival
Hunting Party

The wandering warrior-hunter had found himself another coterie of kin to join their hunting expedition. For the past few months of his life, this experienced Elite had been in the company of many kinsmen from differing clans. Learning about them and their familial differences had been an interesting and sometimes rewarding endeavour. For this occasion, the Blood Drinker had found himself amongst two members of the Guan-thwei, both of whom are young bloods and an Elite from a differing clan, much like himself. Though unlike himself, this Elite (who Mordre came to know as Ghan'tha-cte) wished to elevate his status to Elder. Or so Mordre has heard. Regardless of the hunting leader's motivations, Mordre hopes that his ambitions won't blind the older huntsman. The Blood Drinker's legs had carried him from branch to branch, the movement encompassed by thoughts of carefulness and calculation. The hunter's cloak shimmered with each dash then calming down when he stopped. The goal of this hunt was to be the mighty Serpent, their mighty foe! With who they dance the waltz of death. The presence of the softskins, the Oomans, were inconsequential to Mordre. He has dealt with them before but it always turned into hunting them down, avoiding them so well that they did not even know he was there, or very rarely accepting their assistance. The Blood Drinker happened upon an ancient tree with great height, gnarled by age, withered by the elements. With sharp claws, Mordre dug into the old tree then ascended its' body. Reaching the peak, his sword-hand enclosed itself around the tree crown. He hung off the side, h'sai'de—sword—swaying gently with the wind. The communication device of his helmet sprang to life, as Ghan'tha-cte broadcasted his findings and thoughts. "Yes... The soft-meat, unawares as they are, could have fallen to the Serpent's treachery. These latest arrivals might be an attempt to reimburse lost numbers." Mordre replied with a hypothesis as to why more Oomans arrived, whether it is correct or not remains to be seen. He released his grip then fell back into the denser jungle. Like an acrobat, his hands grappled onto a branch then using his lower body changed the direction of his fall, just before the apex of his swing Mordre's hands released the branch, sending him to another. He speaks on the frequency once again when he stops. "The soft-meat do so enjoy to pervert the serpents, if we follow them then it is assured that we will find the serpents."
fb9d76aaf17109460b54869b403efba4.jpg

ManofManyRoles ManofManyRoles Murdergurl Murdergurl GojiBean GojiBean

Kali had been mostly undisturbed from the time they had landed and she didn't mind it. Humans didn't much care for her kind despite them making her. This free time had allowed Kali to look into the hive mine, to focus on gathering the feelings and desires of the hive upon this world. It was a difficult process and dangerous the queen was strong here, but she was ... distracted. Looking into the hive mind was not a simple as looking into a screen and seeing what was going on on the other side. It was more like peering into emotions and thoughts sensations and for lack of a better word the soul of the hive. A souls was something Kali didn't understand she had asked Emerson once about souls and he had told her it was something some people thought they had. She didn't get it a soul was something unseen and thought to be given by the gods that made humans. Gods were another thing that Lai didn't understand despite sharing a name with one. They had made humans or some humans thought they did and humans had made her did that make them her gods? It was all to much for her and soul while close was not exact and if souls were a thing then a soul was not shared like the hive mind was.

The hive was agitated, which was odd. humans were not a source of agitation until they attacked and even then it was not this nervous seething hatred, it was hot, fast, and beastly. There was something going on something in the air that the hive, that Kali didn't like. Something deep in her was telling her something was wrong in the air itself. that was just about all Kali could get from the hive mind, agitation at something unknown. Then her concentration was broken, the mental connection to the queen and the lesser xenomorphs was lost.

A patrol, they were to run a patrol, why did they not seek to destroy the hive? Humans and Xenos could not coexist as humans of different races did and to Kali this meant one thing it was humans or the xenos. That was how the xenomorphs would see it there was them and then there was prey , sometimes they prey fought, sometimes it killed some of them, but they were all prey. Kali moved over to the radio and picked it up not turning it on but finding herself hissing in annoyance at something unseen, some that wasn't prey and if it wasn't prey what was it?

Kali left the room she had taken as her own quarters, a benefit of being so disliked was that few people fought with you if you wanted to have you own secluded area. The room had once been a child's and the smell of the hive was all over it the child likely taken kicking and screaming into the hive to be a host. Kali did find it a little hard to feel the fury or horror others did if she pointed such things out. Well no one had wanted the room anyways and toys were fun to play with like back in the lab. Kali would head out and towards the area she was told to go, not thinking the hive was behind the disappearance, but maybe they were, but she didn't feel the same joy of having new hosts, of growing the hive that was normally there after an attack.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5575288.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Soft meat. Soft meat warriors. And a Serpent hive to contend with. It was going to be quite the hunt.

His mandibles clicked inside his bio-mask in excitement at the thought of going after more Serpents. But the scar just above his left hip suddenly began to ache. He looked down and put his hand over the old wound, long since healed and his body fully recovered. So why the pain? He gripped the region a bit more tightly and took a deep breath, exhaling softly. The pain slowly subsided, and he released his grip as he looked out ahead to the jungles of the planet stretched out before him which lay between himself and the soft meat installations.

"Ki'sei (I understand). Do we know how many soft meat warriors are here? I have dealt with their kind only once before. They did not gather in great numbers at that time. But I was led to believe if their numbers are great they can present a significant obstacle to our Hunts."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5575292.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

The radio at his waist cracked to life.

"Alright boys and girls, orders from on high just came through. We need to run a patrol, we've got three squads who have gone silent. Sergeant Raines, Private 'T.J', Lance Corporal Byrd, Kali, I want you all to form up with me at the east entrance to the F.O.B in five."

He was about to roll his eyes until he heard the part about three squads going missing, at which point his eyes closed, eyebrows went about as high as they could go on his face, and his eyes opened to blink a few times.

"Shiiiiiiiit. Three ov'em? Dayum!" He muttered to himself.

He used his thumb and index fingers to pinch the "talk" button, never removing the radio from his waist and simply turning his head and tilting it down to speak at the radio.

"Dis's Raines. Roger that. East entrance in five. See ya there."

He released the pinch, gave a little hip bump to his ZX-76 modified for slug rounds to pop it up into his hands, and cracked his neck.

"A'ight. Time ta move. Who's got point?"

ManofManyRoles ManofManyRoles Becker Becker Karcen Karcen Worthlessplebian Worthlessplebian

LV-767, Novis Colony, one day after touch down, Alpha Platoon F.O.B, East entrance watchtower
USCSM

"How many?" Oliver queried as he glared at T.J. whom himself was fixated on surveying the gentle hills to the east.

"As of this production month? Approximately fifteen thousand units of Model 'V' are operational, Mr. Jensen." The monotone reply seemed to rock Oliver on the spot, he blinked in sheer astonishment at the thought of there being a 'Thomas' model Android on nearly every distant world that fell under USCMC jurisdiction. It took hearing the old man take a few sudden breaths and lean against the handrail of the watchtower to break T.J's attention from his duties. "Are you feeling okay, Mr. Jensen?"

"Am I feeling okay? No, i'm not. Within the last two hours, i've discovered that my Son signed up for some wackjob project to create dispensable cannon-fodder for the Corps. Now i've been told that there are thousands of Thomas' out there, dying everyday for little gains! My Son! My flesh and blood turned into a pawn in someone else's sick game!" Oliver's followed his outburst with launching a half empty can of soda across the plain metal flooring of the tower, painting the far wall with it's remaining contents. The ambience outside to the east of the tower was remarkably quiet, too quiet. T.J. noted as such before his attention was brought inside the wire. With a moments hesitation, he rested his pulse-rifle against the handrail and briefly turned to face Oliver.

"I do not agree, Mr. Jensen. Combat androids such as myself are programmed with the three laws of robotics and specifically the two commitments given to me by the Corps." His stern reply caught Oliver by surprise, Thomas rarely quoted 'the Regs' and hearing it now from a familiar face made him feel very uncomfortable. After all, he was speaking to a body replica of his deceased Son and reality was a long distance away. Despite noticing the old man's unease with the situation, T.J. continued; "My two commitments are to protect my fellow Marines and win the fight. The Model 'V's, alongside other Corps Androids were introduced to save lives, to venture in harms way so a human does not have to. I am content with this fate."
the two stared at one another before a crackle of audio came through T.J's headset.

"Alright boys and girls, orders from on high just came through. We need to run a patrol, we've got three squads who have gone silent. Sergeant Raines, Private 'T.J', Lance Corporal Byrd, Kali, I want you all to form up with me at the east entrance to the F.O.B in five."

"Understood, T.J out." Gripping the radio toggle on his combat harness, T.J. answered briefly and turned his back to Oliver as he began to collect his equipment from the east tower. Despite Lt. Hale's advice that he take up a bunk within the improvised platoon's barracks to ease T.J's integration with the Humans. The Android felt his unique abilities would be put to better use keeping a persistent eye on their local surroundings, after all this planet made everyone feel uneasy.
'Especially the Staff Sergeant'

Oliver on the otherhand felt somewhat at ease being within the dilapidated colony base. Whilst it wasn't a bastion, it was reasonably defendable from the Xeno threat and he knew the layout better than most. Watching T.J collecting his gear and desend from the tower, the old man looked out into the distance and gradually began to understand that something was wrong. There was no movement beyond the three hundred yard mark, no Marines, no wildlife, nothing. Earlier that day, he could hear the grumbling of engines and the shouting of orders. Now it was quiet - too quiet.

The few remaining Marines and citizens went about their daily routines, it was the one source of life that brought a sense of ease as Oliver looked over his shoulder and glimpsed into the colony base. He felt that the conversation between himself and his Son, no the machine that has replaced his Son was cut too short by the communications over the radio. 'How typical of something inhuman to up and leave at once'. Oliver let out a sigh of frustration whilst reaching into his pocket for a smoke, by the time the cigarette reached his lips, another radio broadcast came over the net.

"Jensen, may as well rally with us there as well. Two of the six sentries is on the fritz and not responding, we'll need you to take a look at them. Let's move people, clocks ticking."

"Goddamit.." Oliver withdrew the cigarrette from his mouth, wedging between the welds of the handrail and giving it a gentle tap. "Don't go anywhere, i'll be right back."

T.J was the first of the two to collect his equipment and gather at the east gate. He had turned in this pulse rifle at the armoury and re-equipped his M56 Smartgun, with all the bells and whistles. 'Two thousand, five hundred rounds of ammunition present. Sidearm and high-explosive throwables aquired.' A brief overview of his personal loadout, the Android had a habit of making a mental note of his own equipment and mentally prepared a full report for the armourer. It was proper procedure for all combat androids to recount every round used and unused after a combat patrol, even since their introduction to infantry roles, Command has been keeping a very close eye on the new models.
'Proper procedure'

He felt nervous, one of the minor ticks given out a random to androids to make them appear more human. T.J's mouth formed words but his voice was silent, he recited the three laws of robotics and two commitments given to him by the Corps. All the meanwhile loading the smart-gun with a fresh five-hundred round drum and cycling the action. Having fixed his eyepiece in place, he nodded briefly as Sergeant Raines voiced;

"A'ight. Time ta move. Who's got point?"

"Smart-gunner volunteers for pointman, Sergeant." T.J's responce was calm, collected. Much unlike his quiet mumbling earlier, the Android felt himself become at ease as the situation developed. Perhaps it was his inner programming, causing any personality quirks to be put aside when things became more serious - probably Thomas' conscience slipping through the code and reclaiming the Synth for himself.

Or so Oliver thought to himself.

Down in one of the many dugouts made to accommodate the Marines on Post. A team of marines was monitoring A series of Cameras. With them, Adrian was tossing and turning. Futility trying to get some rest. Those on Watch who understood why he was in there. Dutifully ignored as the off-watch Marine curled on the floor in the corner had one of his increasingly frequent nightmares. This one, though, seemed to be pretty bad. Causing Adrian actually to start to whimper. This, of course, drew the attention of some of the Fresher Marines. Most with some look of both Concern and Disgust. The Corporal assigned as the Dugouts Watch-commander was about to wake him up to end Adrian's suffering when the Radion Went off—waking the Marine up instantly. "Alright, boys and girls, orders from on high just came through. We need to run a patrol. We've got three squads who have gone silent. Sergeant Raines, Private 'T.J', Lance Corporal Byrd, Kali, I want you all to form up with me at the east entrance to the F.O.B in five." sighing, Adrian got up from the still mud floor Before quickly acknowledging the radio, quickly gathering his equipment and weapons. Adrian made his way towards the Dugouts exit as he passed the Corporal. He nodded a silent thank you to the man before stepping out.

Abruptly transitioning from Darkness to Light. Adrian had to shield his eyes for a second. as he stood there to let his eyes adjust. Adrian threw the straps to one of the heaviest non-crew serve weapons in the Corps arsenal over his shoulders. Focusing on the Heavy Weapon. Adrian hoped to distract himself from remembering the dream he had just had. "Fuck this thing!" he exclaimed with an aggravated sigh as he tried adjusting the thing. After about a minute of him dancing about. Adrian finally got it in a comfortable position. Finally as satisfied he can get. Adrian made his way over to the east gate. To meet up with the Patrol gathering there.
"Byrd Here!"

LV-767 Jungle Swamp, four-point seven five miles north of the colony
Hunting Party

The Elite paused as he observed the swamp around him, mandibles clicking softly for a few moments...the non-verbal queue for 'regard', likely to the thoughts the other hunters had posited. "You both provide solid points. If we do not find the nest first, then it will be the soft meat that does it for us. As for how many are here, I cannot say. A great many, I've managed to avoid being noticed thus far from their patrolling. I have quite a history of dealing with the soft meat, they're quite entertaining hunts. Not the strongest or the most fearsome...no, very clever though. They will become a thorn in our side if they see fit." Another bounding leap from one branch to another, the great tree's limb shaking under the heavy weight that suddenly made a roost atop it. "Though there are some I hold a deep disdain among their numbers...though I have not seen any as of yet." Creeping to the end of his branch the Hunter stooped low, cycling through his vision modules, head canted to the side a bit. Off further into the distance was a small horde of serpents, harrying a small building set at the edge of the waters of the swamp, an outpost of some kind. Though every time they would draw closer small arms fire would drive them away from the make-shift barricades that had been erected at the doorway. "It would seem not every serpent has left this location...I see about twenty from where I am. I do not believe it is any of the new arrivals they harass...shall we take a look?"
9c0f2a27b530bdbda2f5178929abfcff.png

Worthlessplebian Worthlessplebian GojiBean GojiBean
-----------

LV-767, Novis Colony, Alpha Platoon F.O.B, reconfigured colony nexus building, east building entrance
UCSCM

Step after step, combat boots carried him across the tile floors of the nexus towards the east entrance, fingers slipping a slug from his ammo rig and sliding it in, pumping the shotgun to chamber it properly. The Nexus bustled with energy around him, Marines debriefing the whole two survivors they had found, setting up defenses and sentries, barricades and barbed wire. They couldn't all just walk off into the woods with their heads on a swivel, that was a quick way to die or get hived. They needed some sort of direction to go off of. So unfortunately, that meant people running patrols and getting a sense of the area. At the question of who had point and then T.J kindly volunteering to do so, Hardy offered a small scoff before keying back into his comms. "Tell you who doesn't got point, and it's you T.J. That gun of yours literally cannot hit us in the back since it has I.F.F and the bullets curve around marines, and don't even fucken ask me how that works. Better you cover our flank and keep your eyes on the HUD your headset has to give us an idea if anything's moving. Sergeant Rains and I will take point, I want Byrd in the middle with Kali. Rains and I have done this sort of shit before, better to have us lead this fekken headless chicken we call a patrol."

Arriving at the eastern entrance and waiting for all members of the group to rally up Hardy gave a nod, eyes scanning each man and the single woman of questionable genetic stability in silence. As his eyes landed on Oliver he gave a nod, jutting a thumb over his shoulder into the colony proper. "From the looks of things, Jensen, the problem sentries are a dozen yards or so out of the F.O.B and watching choke point entry ways. We'll escort you over to them so you can run repairs and you should be able to run back here no problem. The six sentries running in tandem won't let anything into this entrance, but with two of them down we've got an issue. As for the rest of you. I'm only saying this once. Something moves and it ain't human or our lovely Miss Kali who I'm going to consider human for all intents and purposes, you waste it. You go chasing shit into the dark, that's on your fucking stupid ass cause I sure as hell ain't going out to shake hands with the boogeyman just to drag your dumbass back here. And if I do find it in the kindness of my little withered black heart to do that, I'm sure as shit going to get your dumbass running laps around this F.O.B when we get back. Are we clear?"

Hardy waiting for the inevitable 'Yes, Staff Sergeant' that was to follow the impromptu 'pep talk' gave a nod once his message was delivered, making a quick motion for 'on me' he started out into the dark of the colony, floodlights from the F.O.B shining down as he reached up to ignite the shoulder light on his armor. "Staggered column people, stay tight. Kilo, Bravo, and Charlie squad have been radio silent and stationary for the past thirty minutes. I'm praying they got a real good excuse for some stupid shit like that. Kali, can I get a sit-rep on what our lovely little friends have on their mind today?" It may have been on everyone's mind, but Hardy wasn't about to say the unspoken out loud. More than likely they were going to identify corpses and retrieve dog tags or bodies if things permitted, but there was always the slim chance they found a liquor store on the colony and decided to get fucking wasted on duty.
tumblr_odd0lriqGH1vp3hgzo1_1280.png

LV-767 Jungle Swamp, four-point seven three miles north of the colony, three days post arrival
Hunting Party

Mordre had been disappointed up until now, the absence of any real hunt began to bore the hunter. An idle mind is, perhaps, the most dangerous threat to a hunter. The hunter began bounding from tree to tree with an utter lack of care. The trees ruffled and the patrolling unit went: "Jenkins, you hear that?" The private pointed his pulse rifle high in the green sky. Mordre's acute hearing and biomask enhanced audio sensors picked up the chatter. The next time the Blood Drinker landed on the bark of the jungle, he did not move. His five-chambered heart, which fought against the strenuous physical activity, began to slow its' rhythm. The experienced exterminator's lungs inflated then deflated with each deep breath. The patrol silently scanned the tree-line, unfortunately, they did not find the elusive hunter. Mordre shifting his breathing again and climbed down to a branch. Kneeling, the hunter once again conducted a sweep with his many vision modes. He saw fit to comment on Ghan'tha-cte's statement. "Yes, yes. Very clever prey, I seldom find their attempts at bravado entertaining. Their anger is commendable... For some of them anyway." Mandibles clicking in response.

Then the hunting leader said that he spotted a pack of serpents. To confirm his claim, Mordre zoomed towards the area that was suspected. He saw the black tide rise then beaten back by bright bursts of muzzle fire. Yes, the leader spoke truly. "Then let us not delay!" The hunter once again took off, however remembering not to become careless again.

In a short period of time, he happened upon the outpost and began waiting for his brethren to arrive. He did not want the glory all to himself—he is not a lone hunter anymore. Mordre climbed high to avoid detection, also ambush.

ManofManyRoles ManofManyRoles GojiBean GojiBean

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5575288.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

"Understood."

Silent Knife's legs bent causing the branch beneath to groan in disapproval before leaping from it at full power. His body sailed through the air as his active camouflage crackled to life engulfing him in a shimmering aura as the light bent around his body to mimic the environment around him. Upon reaching the next tree he gripped its trunk, fingers and nails digging into the bark as he slid down a few inches with the tree tilting in the direction he'd struck it from, before stepping one foot on the branch beneath his right leg and using it to step around the trunk to another steady branch heavy enough to hold his weight.

One, two, leap. He was in the next tree and once again using his agility to quickly slip around the trunk from one branch to another.

One, two, leap. Another tree. One, two, leap. Yet another tree.

Over and over he slipped from tree to tree before his Bio-Mask detected the presence of his Hunting Party. To his left he spied the gathering serpents in the distance seemingly in a stalemate with the small arms fire of the soft meat and their defenses.

A good distraction. He thought.

Spying the Elite, Ghan'tha-cte, nearby, he approached cautiously with a soft click of his mandibles to announce his presence. Sneaking up on an Elite was never wise. And luckily he didn't need such a harsh lesson as that which his waist reminded him of to know this. Landing softly in a tree just a few paces away, he glanced over to the Hunt Leader.

"What is our approach?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5575292.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

"Well sheeit! I get point today! Whoo!"

As he jogged a decent clip towards his destination he kept a careful eye on his surroundings and an eye over his shoulder at his teammates. The formation probably could have been a bit tighter. But hey. Movement was movement at this pace and with this urgency.

Upon reaching the FOB's Eastern gate he spied Hardy.

"Dayum! This here planet sure as shit ain't doin' these poor fucks any favors." He remarked as he watched the scene unfold around them.

He brought up his shotgun and cocked the chamber, readying it.

"I'm right with ya bawss man. Following your lead. Let's fill these bugs' bellies with somethin' heavy they'll never forget."

ManofManyRoles ManofManyRoles Becker Becker Karcen Karcen Worthlessplebian Worthlessplebian

ManofManyRoles ManofManyRoles Worthlessplebian Worthlessplebian Becker Becker Commissar Darman Commissar Darman Karcen Karcen

Kali did not like the synth some instinct of her told her to ignore him yet another knew she should pay attention to him. She had been around plenty of fake men before, the doctors liked to used them when they got scared and even then she had never liked something about them. She saw them as human yet their scent was not human it was just wrong a thing shaped liked prey and Kali had no other choice but to have a negative reaction to it. The anxiety of the hive did not help, she knew there was something wrong in the air a scent they had picked up that triggered something deep and forgotten. It was a hatred, a fear, it was something that should not be the hive did not fear. Kali didn't want to go out, she wanted to find some dark place to hide till she could find what she hated, but she had reason and could ignore that deep hatred the xeons had of whatever was in the air.

" We looked into their mind " Kali started often speaking in plural when other xenos were about, some deep instinct triggered to be part of them yet separate. " They are not happy, that is not good. The hive is always happy with new hosts even if some die. There is an axienty something has them agitated.... scared, angry, primal. We feel it too something deep in us says to be on edge to be careful something is coming. We don't know what it could be like children fearing spiders or snakes we feel this fear in out very .... in ourselves" Kali explained trying to put the feelings into words and stopping herself from saying she felt it in her soul as she was still unsure what one was and if she would even have one.

TJL.png
T.J.

"That gun of yours literally cannot hit us in the back since it has I.F.F and the bullets curve around marines, and don't even fucken ask me how that works."

"Understood, Staff Sergeant. I would make the recommendation that no-one flinches when the bullets start curving." Something resembling a smirk appeared on T.J's face as he responded to Hardy. Sarcasm seemed to be fairly common amongst the men of Alpha platoon and T.J felt it was appropiate to imitate this behaviour to better intergrate with his fellow Marines. Using his free hand, T.J powered on the eye-piece and flicked through the various boot-up sequences. Double checking his primary weapon was important for a Smart-gunner as without it's incredible firepower the section as a whole would be at risk. As a Android, he understood that one of his many roles within the Corps was to be expendable, to protect his fellow Marines with his life and to provide the best protection he can. These values pulsed within his artificial veins, his programming was absolute in it's purpose and nothing short of deactivation would stop him - or so he believed. There had been times when speaking to the Lieutenant, times when her voice of reason went against his purpose. He was to die so that others could live and yet Lieutenant Hale saw this as a 'terrible waste of life'.

'Life..?'
The thought stayed with him as he peered over to Kali, this abnormal life-form before him appeared otherwordly. Her pale skin radiated in the sunlight, it was beautiful but T.J didn't have the words or the understanding to describe the emotion he felt when glimpsing into those scarlet red eyes. Compared to the grimy Marines around them, she and she alone stood out. These cocktails of emotions flickered through T.J as he continued to gaze at Kali, his programming designated any Xeno to be destroyed on sight or captured for research purposes. The I.F.F tag hanging around her neck was a major source of conflict within T.J's understanding of this order. She was dangerous and thus a threat to his fellow Marines, yet he was to treat her as a ally and support her as one of the Platoon.

"I am conflicted, Subject Kali. Lieutenant Hale has suggested that involving myself in minor social interactions would better my intergration within the Platoon. I have witnessed Marines from the other squads taking bets on whether or not you'll eventually betray us." T.J's tone was curious as he has long observed his fellow Marines with much fascination since landing on the planet. Speaking with the Lieutenant has proven to be a great source of information in regards to understanding humanoids and their oddities. Behaviours such as betting, boxing and love making were common ways to 'relieve stress' when a dangerous mission was underway.

"How would you bet, Subject Kali?" His dark brown eyes scanned the Hybrid whilst waiting for her reply. Estimations of her loyalty to either the Corps or the Hive was all he had to calculate with and he didn't like using his own judgement. Combat Androids still struggle with independent thinking outside of their normal operating parameters and this is one of those moments T.J never saw coming. Xeno were to be destroyed if they posed a threat, this one easily had the potential to harm a fellow Marine and T.J had orders not to harm her.

Turning away to scowl at his frustration, his attention turned back towards Staff Sergeant Hardy and Sergeant De'Marco as the two organized the Squad into formation. Seeing weapons being loaded, equipment checked and orders given out felt like a step back into normality for T.J. Several Marines were see giving out extra grenades and ammunition to those heading out on patrol and being the Android meant T.J was loaded up with enough spare magazines, shells and munitions to supply a small outpost. The thought had not phased him in the slightest, his artificial body was far stronger than any Humanoid and could put up with the additional weight carried in a pack slung across his back.

"Sergeant De'Marco, I've got your back." It was a phrase he had heard before and somehow felt it would be the right thing to say just before the Squad headed off into the wilderness. T.J liked the man for his can-do attitude and willingness to take the lead into danger and hoped to further understand his superiors - outside of what the Lieutenant has told him. Unsure of how to continue the conversation, he finished with a simple nod and prepared to step off with the rest of the Platoon.

Last edited:
Kali listened to the fake man abd his odd question. She knew of the bets they were nothing new humans always felt distrustful towards those that were not them. In truth she found the synthetic men were only a step above her kind when it came to trust. Once Kali had asked why they did not trust the fake men when they made the fakes obey them without question. The answer was that they did obey but it was not always the sane person or orders the humans obeyed. This was something that had confused and still did confuse her. The synthetic men had vern made by humans and creations were to obey their makes so how could they obey another?

" We were made by humans so we obey humans. We do as they say like you do metal man will you betray them because our answer is the same as yours. " Kali answered not truly saying yes or no but well she was clear enough in her mind.

As the patrol finished gathering at the gate. Adrian did yet another Weapons check. Shouldering the P.I.G., Adrian watched as the diagnostic sequence ran its tests through the little screen in front of him. "Battery, Check. Cabling, Check. Capacitors, Check. Firing Lens, Check. Magnetic Coils, Check. All systems checked. Weapon Green!" The little feminine voice droned out. which gave Adrian a slight smile. "Thanks, Shirley." Looking up and Slinging Shirley over his shoulder. Adrian let out an audible Groan when He heard the Lineup. glancing over at the Hybrid, Adrian had to suppress an involuntary shiver. Moving over to, Adrian instinctively held his rifle tighter. Honestly, he hated feeling so nervous around Kali. He was just always on edge when she was near. And her presence always reminded him of his nightmares. Removing and inserting the Mag. Adrian Noted the counter read two hundred eighty rounds. Swapping the Magazine and dropping the old mag into his dump pouch. Adrian nodded when the reader counted six hundred rounds. that simple action alone helped to calm his nerves. Looking back to the Hybrid. He just noticed the synth was in conversation with her. listening in, Adrian Groaned again when he heard him mention the bets about her turning on them. "Oh don't fucking mention that!" he cursed under his breath.

When the two's conversation ended. Adrian moved up to stand beside the Hybrid. Watching the Synth leave to fall in behind the Sergeant. Adrian just shook his head. "Someone should probably teach him some table manners."

LV-767 Jungle Swamp, four-point seven five miles north of the colony
Hunting Party

The Berserker paused, considering the best approach they could take to dealing with the small horde that was otherwise struggling to breach the outpost. A group of no more than twenty, easy pickings. Mostly a collection of drones, though two warriors could be seen in the midst, a bit more battered than their comrades, likely due to trying to charge the defenses more often than the rest. A glance over his shoulder at the soft click that announced the presence of another Hunter, a small click of his own mandibles in regard. "The Warriors make fine trophies, but an assortment of lesser is also acceptable. Our approach...is to hunt them." The warriors attention returned to the group down below that had yet to take notice of them, plasma caster whirring to life as his helmet engaged it's targeting, the small 'triangle' marking a spot in the middle of the horde on the ground. The roar of the weapon firing could be heard, drawing the attention of the serpents for the barest of moments before the explosion sent them scattering, enough power put into it to wipe one of the humans military trucks into scrap. With a roar of challenge the Hunt Leader lept from his branch and to the ground, twin wrist blades shooting out of gauntlets to their full eighteen inch size. Yes, this is what he was after, the adrenaline and thrill of the hunt!
Worthlessplebian Worthlessplebian GojiBean GojiBean
LV-767, Novis Colony, Alpha Platoon F.O.B, reconfigured colony nexus building, east building entrance
UCSCM
Hardy didn't seem too pleased by Kali's assessment. If anything, he grimaced slightly at the explanation that the damn Xeno's were anxious. He didn't think the damn things could feel anxious. Or anything beyond the want and need to make more of themselves. "Abso-fucken-lutely lovely. Thank you Kali, appreciate the insight. Do me a favor, and if you catch wind there's a desire to drag us off while we're on a patrol, please lemme know?" Marching out of the Nexus with the rest of the patrol squad he did a quick look over his shotgun, nodding to himself. Though this equipment run down was cut short when T.J voiced that there was a betting pool that their lovely 'support' might turn on them. First off, who the hell was running that bettin pool? Second off, why the shit hadn't he heard about it? Then he remembered the last time what he had done when he found some dipshits were making bets about his Platoon and what the Lieutenant told him would happen if he broke another dumb privates nose. "T.J, wanna tell me who's running that bettin pool? I think I need to have a chat with em. Or was that yer attempt at flirting with Kali?" Despite the latter clearly being a joke, a smile didn't touch the grim Staff Sergeant's lips, too focused on the task at hand. A quick glance over to his second in command and fellow pointman, Raines. "Seen worse, honestly. You ever been to Frejya's Snowball? Surprise, it's nothing but snow and ice. For miles. It sucks."

Marching forward in stagger formation, one had a chance to observe the colony, a heavy 'Downtown Detroit' vibe with hints of 'god awful jungle' put in here and there. One of the more advanced colonies, some of these buildings were several floors high, alley ways further ahead guarded by sentries. Well, most of them anyways, some had been shorted out. Hence why they were bringing along Jensen. However, if one was checking the motion tracker, there'd be a dozen or so signatures up ahead...but the sentries weren't going off, and there was nothing to be seen in the hivemind. What was down this street, then?

LV-767 Jungle Swamp, four-point seven three miles north of the colony, three days post-arrival
Hunting Party

The action-starved hunter gripped onto a tree over the horde of serpents. The leader's plasma caster could be heard. A bolt of crackling cyan decimated a few of the serpents. The others, now cognizant of their enemy, scrambling to meet their foes. A combat roar could be heard from the leader, signalling the beginning. Mordre emptied his throat then bellowed to the air with all his might. His claws unbutton themselves from the tree. Then muscular legs carried him to the sky. Below a shifting vortex of blackness that shined as the sun blazed. Mordre prepares his arm. A flex of the wrist activates tiny servos in the wrist blades' compartment. Unsheathing twin blades that have ended countless prey.

The exterminator sliced through the air, immediately impacting the dirt with a heavy slam. The single wrist blade sliced cleanly through the neck of a serpent. Its' acidic blood chewed away at soil or vegetation. Though the kill energised the hunter, it did not cloud his mind. Immediately the hunter jumped back away from the group. A drone attempted to rush at the hunter, stabbing at him with its' pointed tail. Mordre evaded through thrusts then sealed the kill by plunging his wrist blades through the chest. Using the new carcass, the yautja threw it at two other drones. The twins wasted their time eviscerating the corpse in their way, allowing Mordre enough time to draw the h'sai'de. A diagonal cut from low to high across the drone's head killed it instantly. But before Mordre could finish the other one, it clawed at him. Leaving a light wound across the hunter's chest. A new scar amongst the rest. Angered by the small wound, Mordre dashed to the side simultaneously swinging his sword. He cleaved the serpent in twain, its' guts and acid spilling at this feet. Four serpents were killed, that left sixteen.

ManofManyRoles ManofManyRoles Karcen Karcen Becker Becker

" If they feel joy we will tell you, though we will know in other ways before that" Kali said there would be more physical things she would be able to notice before she noticed through the hivemind. That was because she had to focus on it to really feel the mood of a few drones over the whole and even then it took strong clear emotion to truly be easily detectable without risk.

The comment about the machine flirting with her was confusing. Kali was under no illusion she was to humans a hideous melding of human and alien and to alien she was other, there was no side that would actually find her pretty. She also doubted the metal man had been made with such emotions. Kali remembered the unfeeling metal men of the lab who did not even wear a fake face. They had been simpler yes, but they were the same as T.J. so if they had not love in them why would he? Hardy calling her lovely Kali took as sarcasm at worse and l good natured teasing at best, she did not truly believe he though of her as more than a smart monster to call upon. He was at least smart to try to be nice to her and Kali did take note of it.

Not feeling anything in the hive mind Kali deiced she could have her confusion cleared up " We doubt the metal man was flirting do his kind even have such thoughts?" Kali asked willing to at least give T.J. some benefit of the doubt about what emotions he had even if what he was told her he was like those things in the labs. Then it struck her a powerful emotion from the hivemind. It was not something here maybe not even by them but she felt it bloodlust. " The hive is fighting something we don't know what but we can feel their bloodlust" Kali said a warning that any of her kind they found would be in a frenzy. " Not here but somewhere " She clarified as to her here seemed safe.

TJL.png
T.J

Patiently waiting for the squad members ahead of him to begin advancing into the colony, T.J turned his gaze upon the faces of those passing by, specifically focusing his attention onto their eyes. 'Such beautiful colours and shades, I don't know why I can't stop looking.' Compared to the varied and unique eyes that T.J had taken note of since landing on the planet, it was his own that he found no love for. Staring for hours in the bathroom mirror, his sight affixed to his own dull iris', he had no bright blues or deep browns to act as a window to his soul - Just an unremarkable grey-ish brown shared by most Android models. Compared to him, Hardy's blues and Kali's red iris' were flush with life and looking deep at them felt like they could tell a story without a single word being spoke.

'Seems everyone has a story to tell but... mine has already been written before me. Drafted into walking this grey-ish brown path til' the bitter end.'

Lofting the smartgun into a high-ready stance, T.J followed along the rest of the patrol deeper into the colony. Those observant would certainly notice something unnatural about the Synth's movements, whilst his legs worked hard to trudge through the layers of thick jungle mud beneath their feet, his upper body would appear almost completely level. Internal gyroscopes functioning overtime to keep T.J's torso stable and his head gradually shifting from side to side - similarly to how a sentry turret would scan it's assigned sector. Whilst his body continued to advance unhindered by the boggy terrain, conflicting thoughts and priorities confused T.J and his mind wondered elsewhere. Perhaps within any mind there would be a empty room to calm one-self and make sense of the world around them, however as a artifical being, he had no such luxuries to fall back on in times of great mental stress.

'It is my duty to walk this path and thus I shall embrace my fate.'

With absolute efficiency, his combat subroutines operated flawlessly to keep T.J upright and moving forwards with the Squad, despite all the bulky supplies hanging off the Synth like a pack-mule, his mind was working just as hard to interpret the Xeno's answer to his previous question about loyalty. He felt that her input provided a insufficient conclusion and considered pressing for a more clear reply but was cut-off by Sergeant Hardy.

"T.J, wanna tell me who's running that bettin pool? I think I need to have a chat with em. Or was that yer attempt at flirting with Kali?"

"We doubt the metal man was flirting. Do his kind even have such thoughts?"

Being outside of the conversation was something T.J was used to, up until this point he had very little one-to-one interactions with the other Marines in the Squad. Despite his attempts to replicate human behaviours like sleeping, eating and enjoying time off from post. These actions had not achieved the desired effect and he continued to be isolated from other Marines. Thinking back to patroling the barracks last night, he would occasionally look over his shoulder and take a glimpse at where everyone slept peacefully. Whilst they were wrapped in their sleeping bags and seemingly content with the quiet, the android continued his observation. A faint feeling bubbled deep within his chest, conflicting with the cool rain water that battered his armour and flowed through the gaps into his clothing. This heat within him continued to burn as he glared through the open doorway into the barracks, unable to release this flaring energy, he simply turned and continued his guard-duty.

"That category of thoughts and feelings are not authorized.. amongst other things."

The same heat in his chest began to flicker through his walls of coding and reveal itself. Perhaps it was his personality at war with his programming, or was it just all 'part of the plan?' His mouth opened to inform Sergeant Hardy about the on-going betting antics being held by Adrian and a few other Marines, however the words never left his tongue. One sharpe eye to the side and his gaze met Adrian's. T.J had no reason to protect the Lance Corporal but the bright glow beneath his programming continued to steadily burn with a unwillingness to accept his given principles.

DELETE vid_22_09_013A
PURGE COMPLETE

"My files relating to this appear corrupted, Staff Sergeant. My sub-systems have likely been affected by irregular maintenance cycles, I will attempt to reconstruct them upon our return to the barra.."

A faint crunch stopped T.J in his tracks and peered down to see a bloodied baseball cap wrapped around the heel of his boot. In-humanly leaning back with all the weight tied to him, he raised his foot almost horizontally and let out a whistle to attract either Sergeant's attention to the situation. The harness needed to heft the Smartgun made it impossible to bend down and reach anything below knee-height. As the crumpled cap was removed from his boot, T.J's curiosity got the better of him and he reached out to wipe some of the blood onto his finger. Without a moment's hesitation he placed the finger into his mouth and left a dark red mark on his tongue.

"Accessing colony data; ground personnel; stationed; Amanda Evans; Female; thirty-six; blood type A+; Employment: Class 3 Electrician; Blood oxidation shows time of injury to be less than a hour ago."

The baseball cap appeared to be rough around the edges, probably from constant use by the woman that was employed here. T.J felt there was more to this individual and began delving through her personal files that were attacted to the data he previously accessed.

"Ms. Evans has a Daughter on record, stationed in the same sector of the colony. It would be right to inform the next of kin."

T.J continued to gaze upwards with his smart-gun at the broken vent, a bloodied path leading to where the cap was found. Most likely the killer had struck her and quickly made off with the body but it would've taken something unearthly to manage all the way to the ventilation systems.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back