• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Kingmaker

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Gerak goes to check the old fort's ramparts, checking to make sure the wood will still hold weight. He also goes outside the fort to check lines of sight; knowing what their enemies can and can't see will be important for positioning. In particular, he checks how far the bandits will need to come in to see something happening near the fire pit; the further they can lure the enemy in, the easier it will be to take them down.

Once he's found satisfactory answers, he goes to find Oleg. While the trader's irritation with them is understandable, for Gerak's plan to work, he'll need Oleg's buy-in. Besides, another crossbow would serve them well.

You all explore the various locations in the trading post, looking for anything of use. Before you split up too much, Svetlana finds you. She informs you that she was wrong. Apparently there are some weapons in the Stockroom. She tells you to feel free to use them and points out where the stock room is.

Exploring, here is what you find:

1586066501473.png

A1. Market Yard: This open area is where trade takes place. The two tables near the fire pit are used to display wares and serve food to visitors, while bulky trade goods are offloaded into the storage pen.

A2. Guesthouse: Oleg rents out the beds in this guesthouse to anyone who wishes to stay the night at a rate of 5 sp a bed per night. A rustic breakfast and filling dinner is included in that price.

A3. Stable: Oleg keeps his jittery horse Claptrap here. He rents out the other stalls to visitors’ steeds at a rate of 2 sp per stall per night—that price includes a day’s worth of water and feed and a complimentary rub down for the horse.

A4. Storage Pen: This fenced area has a wooden roof to keep off most of the rain and snow—trade goods like furs and other goods are stored here until enough build up to warrant a trip to the city to sell them off. The pen is currently empty, as Oleg’s been forced to turn over his stock to the bandits.

A5. Middens: Three 3-foot-deep composting pits and middens.

A6. Main Hall: This squat but solid wooden building is Oleg and Svetlana’s home and the storeroom for the trading post. The double doors leading out into the market yard can be barred but not locked.

A7. Dining Room: This is a comfortable room with a few chairs and a table—the Levetons use this room primarily as a dining room.

A8. Office: This room is where Oleg keeps his ledgers and meets with important visitors—in theory. As of yet, no one of importance has bothered visiting the trading post.

A9. Stockroom: This room is used to store the trading post’s stock. The stock currently consists of a suit of leather armor, a heavy wooden shield, two hand axes, five javelins, a longbow, two dozen arrows, a scythe, two spears, two unmarked potions that look identical, an unmarked potion that looks different, two vials of antitoxin, six torches, two weeks of trail rations, a number of animal furs, and a locked chest.

A10. Storeroom: This room contains two barrels of drinking water, a half-full barrel of lantern oil, three common lamps, a dozen candles, a week’s worth of firewood, a hooded lantern, 70 feet of hemp rope, a tent, and enough food (mostly cheese, hard bread, and dried venison) to last for 2 weeks.

A11. Bedroom: This modest bedroom is where the Levetons sleep.

Gerak, the ramparts are in good shape and are load-bearing without issue. From up here you, depending on position, you can vantage on any part of the trading post.

After checking the ramparts, you find Oleg working in the stables. He grunts as you approach.

"What'd'ya need?" he asks in a slightly less gruff tone than before.

Kameron Esters- Kameron Esters- , 4eyedintrovert 4eyedintrovert . Sherwood Sherwood , Psychie Psychie , Spiderheart Spiderheart , Wondertainment Wondertainment

Gerak quickly takes in the environment of the stable, grabs an appropriate tool, and gets to work beside Oleg. "I've got a plan for the bandits. One that should keep them off your backs even after we're gone." The half-orc isn't all that physically powerful, but he's a hard worker, and does his best to keep pace. "The way I see it, the worst case scenario is we kill a few bandits, but then their friends come asking questions after we're gone. So we want at least one of them to escape with a head full of bullshit."

"The elf is a wizard, and she's got a raven who can keep watch for us. So the plan goes like this – we pretend to be bandits, either Pitaxian or on the run from Brevoy. When the actual bandits arrive, the conflict turns into a 'turf war.' These are bandits, not trained soldiers – at least one of them will probably try to run when they realize they could die. And if one makes it to the gates, and heads back to their boss with a story about another upstart gang... well, the bandits will be too busy looking for their 'rivals' to harass you."

"Just wanted to make sure the plan was acceptable, since it could well be your lives in the balance." He stops working for a moment to wipe his brow with his sleeve. "I'm open to suggestions, if you see any problems."

Gerak, Oleg stops, wipes the sweat from his brow, and shrugs.

"I was just going to hang their bodies from the ramparts as a warning," he says. "But, I like yours better. Do you need anything from us?"

"Mostly, I just need you to play along, and to not aim too carefully at anyone trying to escape." The half-orc grins. "Oh, and we're also trying to keep a live prisoner to interrogate. I can be very threatening when I want to be, so if you want to see one of them piss themselves, you're welcome to sit in on the process."

Gerak just wants to make sure everyone is on board with his plan of "let one bandit escape to give a misleading report," and, if anyone has objections, resolve them. Beyond that, he's content to wait til morning.

Klemnon nods in agreement to everyone's plans, pleased to be among such proactive companions. "The plan sounds like a good one to me. I will of course be on the high ground but I think Zula wouldn't mind having a bandit or two for lunch." Klemnon looks down at Zula, who salivates, baring his teeth, at the though of biting into a bandits throat.

You’re given all day to prepare. The Levetons (that’s Svetlana and Oleg’s last name) mind the trading post and go about their daily business. If asked, they provide you with whatever you need.

The next morning, you wake in the dark of the early morning. You find Svetlana has prepared breakfast for you already. Once you've had your fill, Oleg finds you.

“They should be here soon,” he says. “Svetlana and we keep the gate open and meet them as normal? Or did you want us to hide with you?”

Tell me where you all position yourselves before the bandits arrive and where you want the Levetons.

Kameron Esters- Kameron Esters- , 4eyedintrovert 4eyedintrovert . Sherwood Sherwood , Psychie Psychie , Spiderheart Spiderheart , Wondertainment Wondertainment

Athaclenna wakes early from her Trance, then reaches for her spellbook. After turning a few pages, she decides on which spells she will prepare for this battle. She then spends the next hour before the sun rises studying the mystic forms inscribed on the pages, committing the words to memory. Once done with that task, Athaclenna will go seek out a position on the ramparts that will provide her with good cover from the bandits as they approach.

"Riku, I will be depending on your keen eyes to give us a bit of warning. Can you do that for me?"

"Awk! Yes! Riku is good at spotting things!"

"Of course you are. Your bright eyes have saved me on more than one occasion. Do a good job today, and I'll give you a good treat tonight! Now go, and don't take any chances by getting too close to the bad men."
Cantrips
Mage Hand

Level 1 Save DC 16
Mage Armor
Magic Missile
Shield
Sleep x2

Force Missile x8

"Svetlana can do what she likes. I need you out by the fire pit so we can shout at each other, though; gotta sell the idea that you're being shaken down again." Gerak chuckles wryly. "We just leave the gates open and let them follow the noise. And speaking of noise..." He snaps his fingers at Mokele, who has occupied itself by chewing on a horse-hitching post. "Go hide in the stable and wait for my signal." The eidolon releases the post and meanders off, grumbling.

(Gerak, and ideally Oleg, will be at the fire pit between A6 and A2. Mokele will be just inside A3.)

Miren walks out, having arrived at the outpost last night. She's a blond woman, pretty but not too outstanding, in clunky but humble armor.

"Hello, all. What's happening?"

After catching up with Oleg, Miren nods firmly. "I would like to assist. I'm an acolye of Abadar and have some control over divine magic. My name is Miren. Where would you like me to position myself?"

Gerak takes in the woman's armor and choice of weapon, he nods approvingly. "You're gonna be down here on the front lines with me. Look as mean as you can; remember, we don't want this coming back on our hosts." As if to emphasize the point, he grabs a handful of ash from the firepit and begins rubbing it into his face, giving him a grimier appearance. "How's your shouting voice? I think mine's pretty good, but I'm open to the possibility that it's not the best one here."

Come morning, Niko rises and begins to prepare himself for the upcoming fight by spending a minute summoning his other-worldly friend, Ifrit. He gives the monster a grin. "Hello again, my friend. Time to earn our pay. Ready for a fight?"

"Yes, fight! Fighting is good!" The big fiery thing bares its claws and teeth in excitement.

"Ok, ok! Ease up! You'll get your chance soon enough. Now, go hide in the stable with the other Eidolon, and be silent until it is time for the battle to begin. I'll be up on the wall with my crossbow, giving out as much hurt as I can. Be ready!"

"Ifrit is ready. Ifrit will make you proud!" With that, the monster lopes off to hide.

Zula nudges Klemnon awake. Klemnon sits up in bed, throwing the blanket off. "Ready for lunch, boy?" Klemnon asks. Zula bares his teeth, growling. "Right, you go hide and I'll take position on the wall." Klemnon says. Zula runs out of the guest house and into the stable with the eidolons Klemnon puts his armor on and takes up his bow and arrows then heads toward the ramparts. Standing on the wall, Klemnon scans the area, getting the lay of the land, then squats down, hiding himself as much as he can.

With everyone in position, you need only wait. Sunrise comes and goes, bathing the trading post in shafts of morning light.

Then, like clockwork, an hour after sunrise, you all hear the distinctive sound of trotting horses on the trail from the South. Four bandits on horseback leading two extra horses approach the trading post. The leader of the pack is a gruff man in leather armor and a green cloak. He carries a composite longbow. The other men are a rag-tag bunch of scumbags armed with short swords and bows.

Oleg tenses, but keeps his composure.

They have not ridden through the open gates yet.

Do you wish to do something before they enter the gates?

Gerak takes a step away from Oleg, as to not accidentally spit in the man's face. He clears his throat, takes a deep breath... and enters his half-planned tirade. "I do! Not! Care! If someone else is shaking you down. I'm here, right now, and I'm telling you to bring me everything in this shithole that you think might stop me from setting it on fire!" He inhales again; screaming takes a lot of air. "Do you know who the fuck I am?! What I'm capable of?! If you don't do as I say right fucking now, whoever buries you is gonna be able to use a godsdamn shoe for a coffin! A –" He slams his fist into the table hard enough to be heard at a distance – "shoe!"

He pulls his hand back and shakes it, wincing. That should be enough for a bit – certainly enough to draw the bandits in. And, on the subject of drawing... he pulls out his sword, ensuring that he'll be able to quickly escalate the conflict with the bandits when the time comes.

Niko smiles at the comments being spewed by Gerak. A shoe as a coffin? I'll have to remember that. He sits, ready to use his crossbow.

Steadying himself atop the wall, Klemnon readies himself by drawing his bow and an arrow, training it at the front gate; awaiting patiently for the appropriate opportunity.

Athaclenna calls Riku down to her, and whispers into his ear, "Did you see any other riders out there, or were there just these four?"

Inside the trading post:
The four bandits and their six horses ride into the yard at a trot. They pull up short, but don’t dismount. The leader in the green cloak spits and eyes you with a withering stare, Gerak.

Oleg grits his teeth and clenches his fists, doing his best to keep the ruse up.

“Who the hell are you!?” the gruff man demands.

Everyone on the ramparts above, you have a clear shot at each of the bandits on their horses.

What do you all do?

Outside the trading post:
Chef,
you have the Oleg’s Trading Post in view. You see four scummy looking men on horseback and leading two extra horses ride through the main gate of the trading post.

What do you do?

Kameron Esters- Kameron Esters- , Sherwood Sherwood , Psychie Psychie , Spiderheart Spiderheart , Wondertainment Wondertainment , Orikanyo Orikanyo

Chef

It had been... Rough going for some time. Not only had he been forced to go alone after his previous group left him, he had been left with no map or compass... The bastards took it and all their stuff and left him behind. Three days he waited at camp after he woke that morning to a lonely empty camp, three days hoping they had just gone to get something and they would be back...

But no luck...

All he could really do is be thankful they didn't steal his things.

However, being the only one meant he also didn't need to worry to much avout food. He had plenty and it was nice not always having to make a meal presentable... Why is everyone so squeamish about fish eyes anyways? He is lucky to not have to explain what a prarie oyster is... But now, he was alone... Given some job to go hunt bandits... Sure, it was fine, but you can't eat human.

They taste terrible and honestly go good with nothing. Same goes for elves dwarves, anything walking on two legs and waving arms about is worthless.

Plus nobody will eat with you, so, yea, no need for that.

Well, birds have two legs, so they don't count as they have wings.

Everyone loves chicken.

Even chickens.

Maybe he should have brought a chicken...?

Ah..?

His thoughts were interrupted by the first landmark he had seen in a long awhile. The small fort-like place was... Well.. not small.

But appeared to be having abit of a disturbance... Shouldn't you dismount when entering a trading post? And if they were traders, where were their wares...? Why have to extra horses if you...

Ah...

Now the idea egg is laid bare upon the frying pan!

Yes these must be... Bandits!

...Hopefully...

Well, if they aren't he will find out soon. He must find the man of Leg. He shall give answer to this. Or maybe something will happen? Who knows, it is start of journey! All things can happen.

Without hiding himself, Chef Gorgorigo started up towards the fort with a bright big friendly(????) Smile on his face.

"Hello frends! Is Gorgorio! He here for work! Looking for man of Leg! Leg man here?!" He yelled from just out of the gate, oblivious to the serious situation he was quite litterally walking into... And the fact he was cutting off an exit for bandits whom were about to be shot at.

Gotta keep up good appearances!

Gerak had opened his mouth to supply a witty retort when the... new arrival emerged. At first, all he can do is blink in confusion, but the opportunity to take advantage of the distraction quickly pops into his head. He sends out a thought-message to Mokele – Now. Wordlessly, the half-orc breaks into a charge, going straight for the bowman. He looks like the leader; if he falls, the others might follow.

(Hoping for a surprise round for at least me and the eidolons, given our new arrival's distraction. Gerak is fighting defensively, so to-hit is at a -3.)

Last edited:
Seeing Gerak make his charge, Niko sends the mental command to Ifrit to attack. At the same time, he leans over the edge of the wall and fires a shot with his crossbow at the nearest man, hoping to take him by surprise.
Hit Points: 11

Armor Class: 16
Touch AC: 12
Flat Footed: 14
CMB: 10
CMD: 12

Fort: +2
Reflex: +2
Will: +2

Initiative: +4
Base Attack: +0
Melee: 0