• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here

Agent23

"Honey!!! Wheres my Supersuit?"
The city of Lumen

Nestled in the center of the continent surrounded by plains and a gentle flowing river it is the fertile heartland of midra. Home to millions, and as destiny would have it home to the six who would shape the future. A gentle breeze rolls in bringing with it the calming aroma of the wildflowers growing in the plains to the north, helping to soothe the bright summer sunlight as not a cloud was in the sky to offer its shade.
~~~

Jethro applied a generous layer of salve to his eye hoping it would do better for the swelling. He could still see but it was annoying for sure. Today was another normal morning for him nurse his wounds, Eat some chow, do some drills , then head to the Temple. Luckily for him Obera was trying to go for his body for whatever reason and only landed a few good shots to Jethro's left eye. His ribs were pleasantly sore from the focused beating but none more so than after a good massage or a romp in the brothel.

A breakfast of steak, eggs, wheat loaf, and Ale as per usual would pep him up for his morning routine. First he would work the straps of the large 150 pound boulder onto his shoulders and stand. Once it was secured he would run several laps around his families property. Next he would chop several thick logs into firewood using a severed axe had in his curled hand. The third drill would have him striking a leather wrapped oak tree with his full force. This regiment ended with a swim in the nearby river. The training was Painful, yes but effective, most definitly. He was a rippling wall of muscle with bricks for hands and an anvil for a jaw and he intended to keep it that way.

After the swim he went back home just noticing his elderly parent s begining to stir. "MA! PA! FOOD IS ON THE TABLE. GOIN TO THE TEMPLE NOW." not wanting to wait around for them to start asking for things he promptly shed his wet undergarments and tossed on a white robe and some sandles, todays ceremony was to be a big one, and the Preistess asked him to be one of the sacrifice bearers. "It actually fits? Whoda guessed it?"he mused as he walked with his chin up and chest out, obviously full of both pride and excitement at his new duty. The massive Temple jutted in the sky ahead, the glowing crystal at its top spire looking down on the city from its 300 meter perch. Said to be the eye of Midra herself Jethro couldnt help feeling as if the goddesses eye were watching him approach. But surely this was how everyone must feel when they approach the massive white and gold structure.

You just wish to go to this event because you want to see all of the pretty maidens dressed up for the ceremony

"Sayviel! I'm absolutely devastated that you would think so lowly of me. Just because of that time I dragged us through a harsh winter to a particular tavern that I was told held the most beautiful maidens in the world, you seem to have an opinion that such women is all that I care about! I wouldn't be traveling with you if I had no concern for your ailment, my dear. This ceremony is bound to draw those near and far, and during this we might find a sorcerer strong enough to lift that curse of yours. See? I'm a wonderful blood sibling to have around."

The pony snorted as she shook her head, solid white forelock falling between her intelligent, bright blue eyes. That had always been the give away to others that something was off about this particular white pony; she had sharp eyes that were often followed by a sharp wit. The woman trapped in this form was not afraid to speak to others using telepathy, often shocking those who might be tempted to steal such a fine steed.

Yes, we'll see if that remains the case for I personally believe that it is for the revelers and being the center of attention that you truly bother going to events. You do always manage to make at least one enemy, and I just hope that I am far enough away this time that I am not caught in the middle of the fray.

"That was one time, Sayviel!" The elven woman riding on her back argued as the pair traveled toward the temple. "One time I didn't realize that a woman was maried and that her rather stocky spouse was standing behind me, and you never let me live it down. Truly, you hold me in such high esteem," the bard huffed. She was a young woman especially by elven standards, and not uncomely as far as appearances went. Long red hair flowed over her shoulder and remained tucked behind her ears, allowing others to see their points clearly. Her skin was fair like porcelain even though she spent many a day riding on the back of her snarky companion. Bright green eyes watched the trail ahead. She didn't bother holding on to the reins of the pony; Sayviel needed no such instruction like a normal horse would. So the bard busied herself with her lute, strumming a few chords and humming along to a tune she was crafting in her head. It was such a beautiful day that she couldn't help but want to capture the magic that brilliant sunlight cast.

Then she saw the giant structure ahead, her hands stilling on the strings. "Look at that, Sayviel!" She couldn't believe what she was witnessing, the majesty of Midra herself. She leaned forward on the saddle, moving her lute to where she usually slung it on her back. Filomena smiled and looked down at her equine companion. "I've never seen anything like it, not even when we were at the keep. Come on, let's get closer!" she urged, and Sayviel increased her speed to appease her curious friend. They soon closed the distance and stopped outside of the structure just to gaze in awe at it now that they were so close. Filomena shivered, sensing magic that was overwhelming for the young elf.

Little did she have an idea that this structure was going to be the birth place of a brand new exciting adventure, one that she would recall via song as the journey unfolded.

Gabriele awoke, as he usually did, somewhere within the depths of the temple. When he worked, he did little else than walk the city and preach. Once finished with that, he'd often head back here to peruse the veritable library of scrolls in this Temple. After all, it wasn't all for show. Someone had to record the history, had to record the rituals and rites. Gabriele looked over these, both modern and more ancient. He wished to understand more than just the benevolence. He wanted to know how land grew into the bustling nation it was, why it was that they were given the honor of being the last.

Which is why he often awoke to the sound of telling in his ear by one of the older priests. Gabriele is half certain the man simply took care of the scrolls, which is the only reason he was a common sight. With a bit of effort, and a small amount of squelching, he pulled his head off the open scroll. Without a word, he neatly rolled it up, and placed it in that expecting hand. Right bastatd, this priest.

"Come on Gabriele! I TELL YOU THIS EVERYDAY! Don't. Sleep. On. The. Scrolls! Go home! Use actual pillows! Sleep on the ground with a rock for all I care! If even a single scroll is damaged because of your drool I swear..." On and on the priest went, but Gabriele sort of turned him out as he stood and began to stretch. Something about today being important... Oh yeah, some ceremony or other. Probably another pointless thing about hope and light. It's all good to talk about it, but at some point, you have to act you know?

Was he forgetting something... No, couldn't be. He's still clothed in a, admittedly, rumpled set of robes and simple underclothes. His spending money is currently still in his pocket. The mandatory book for when he's on duty is chained to his hip still. Ignoring the still ranting priest, he brought a hand up to his mouth and did a quick breath check... Yikes. He's gonna raid the mint stash. Screw you Brother Flavius, you can't have all the mint. Can't walk around with his breath smelling of alcohol. Sure, he only had a single pint, but given he rarely drinks in the first place, that was enough.

So, with this goal in mind, he upped and left the idiotic priest to his rambling. Navigating the winding halls, he'd eventually find a small room. One would be forgiven for thinking it was naught but a pointless room. However... Right there, behind this loose brick, was a pile of mint sprigs. He took a few, popped them into his mouth, and replaced the brick. With the breath situation now satisfied, he began to smooth out his robes. Gotta look nice for the people, even if he isn't directly allowed to participate. All Midra's adherents must be in attendance, even if he'd rather be home on the family estate than out in the crowds with this lot of... Idle beings. He'd even rather be out there, actually doing something! Working towards hope and bringing light back to this world.

You know what they say, right? Be careful what you wish for. Sometimes, just sometimes, it'll come true...

Ermrig woke up to a loud noise.

"ERMRIG, WAKE UP!!!", screamed a voice too close to his ear.

Low groans and bloodshot eyes made their appearance known. This was not uncommon. Sure, falling asleep in a bar was not something someone would call healthy nor sanitary. But, when you haven't had a real home for weeks and the inn you've been staying at foreclosed due to fraudulent business one would be more than open to having a harder bed. "Shut up ya damned goblin, if you screamed any louder I think your lungs would collapse.", Ermrig hissed. Said 'Goblin' was Ermrig's best friend, or at least the 'best' friend who gave free drinks. His name was Collin Draught, and he ran the shittiest bar this side of West Lumen. "Well........ If it wasn't almost TEN O-CLOCK I would have held back, but seeing how it's almost time for me to open up I'm a little more than inclined to scream at your ugly face. Besides, that ceremony is today and I'd figure I would catch some customers before they went. And I can't have you stinking up the place.", he said. "Collin.... Who the hell is going to want to drink before the ceremony. People usually drink afterwards.", Ermrig replied.

Ermrig was was now fully standing and wiping the crust from both his eyes and his mouth, leftover mead he presumed. "That's just it! This is no ordinary ceremony, it's supposed to be BIG. So if people usually drin..........'. Ermrig had now completely tuned out his friend Collin, because Collin was bat-shit crazy. If Ermrig hadn't known him from childhood he would have probably chosen a different bar or tavern. And don't mistake this for a tavern, this was probably the only bar for miles. Most places that serve alcohol usually also sell food, making them a tavern. This place though, did not sell food. The last time Ermrig tried Collin's home cooked food it sent him to a healer. A pretty penny had to be paid for that bill.

"Collin.", Ermrig interrupted. "Do me a favor and don't forget that you have to be there too, we all do.". He didn't want to stop his friend but he didn't want to see him breaking the law. "Well alright, you've made your point. Now go on, get some fresh air or something. I'm gonna open those doors in a few minutes.", he said. Ermrig patted himself down, 'good, nobody swiped anything.' he thought to himself. Grabbing some silver from his pouch he put it down on the table and walked out the door. The air was indeed fresh and Ermrig nearly choked on it. The stale air of the forge was better suited for his lungs because he basically grew up there. An abundance of oxygen nearly sent his system into shock. "Shit... *cough*", he sputtered. The day was not starting out good.

Ermrig however, had nothing to do for two hours. His crossbow snugly held to his back along with the rest of his worldly possessions he briefly considered looking for a new inn. But, he then remembered the ceremony today and most inn's would be closed. In fact it seemed the only business open right now was Collin's piece of shit bar, maybe it wasn't such a bad idea.... "Maybe I'll just be early to the damn event.", he said. Setting his sights now towards the temple (you couldn't miss it) he began walking towards it, occasionally eyeing the giant glowing crystal above it. Eventually making it to the steps leading up it, he gave a small whistle. Too many steps for someone who is still recovering from a hangover. Still, he patted his hair and made it at least presentable and started walking up. Ermrig was going to have a long day.

In the dead hours of the morning, far before any sane person would wake up, a dark figure walked around the streets in a strange, irregular gait. The only thing visible about this creature in the pitch hours of the day was it’s strange bone white mask, resembling the barely human features of two holes for eyes and one for a mouth.

Despite the chilly weather of the morning, the insidious figure didn’t seem to mind at all, prancing through the cobblestone streets with little care at all.

‘Bells and chimes. Bells and chimes.’

The figure thought as it effortlessly scaled up two walls in an alleyway, finding its usual perch to listen to the bells of the cathedral.

‘Three hours for the bells.’

It thought quietly to itself as it stared at the beautiful architecture of the grand cathedral.

To keep itself busy before the bells, the golem usually practiced juggling daggers, brought some bread (Not that it had a mouth to eat, it enjoyed molding the bread into funny shapes), or doing cartwheels. This day, however, it had a rare treasure. A sleeping person on the road had a slightly ruined deck of playing cards on them. From its former life, the golem had an inkling of what games could be played on the cards, but instead opted to construct a house of playing cards from them.

Time usually passed quickly for the golem as it waited each morning for the bells...

‘One hour until the bells... Im so excited!’

By that time, it had constructed a small hut with its cards. The golem wondered what would live inside, and started to fold small crude figurines from the cards

‘A mother, a father, a daughter a-‘

Its thoughts were interrupted by the sudden sounding of bells and chimes. The creature dropped the cards, quickly springing up to see why the sounds had come early.

Already people were filing into the streets, setting up marketplaces and vendors. The golem had only been watching the bells for a few weeks now, so this occurrence seemed rather strange.

Instead of scurrying away to avoid being seen, intrigue hit the golem as it saw figures clothed in white open the door. The golem raised its head again, staring up at the beautiful gem. Perhaps this was its chance to hear the bells closer, and maybe even see that shining gem when the sun begins to set in the early afternoon.

But, the golem was wary of the inhabitants. Not too long ago, a group of children chased him off the street with mud pies and rocks... That was sad... But maybe, this time it would be different... Besides, it new that when it juggled it made them smile. Sometimes. Othertimes, theyd be scared of the golems quirky appearance and skittish mannerisms.

For now it would wait... Wait until more people filed into the town center. It remembered the best tactics for infiltration. Blend in, become part of the crowd. Find the target. Eliminate. But now its only target was the beautiful gem and the sounds of the bells.

However, as time went by, the golem grew more and more impatient, almost excited to go among the people...

It slowly crept down, walkig out the alleyway and into the rabble. In the bright hours of the sun, the golem got many strange looks. It started to walk closer and closer to the entrance of the cathedral, until it got blocked by a torrent of citizens, the doors to the cathedral were barred from entry.

“Oh bugger... I knew I should have waited...”

As the golem invented a new strategy to enter it began to throw a knife up and down, catching it deftly even amongst the dense crowd.

It quickly attracted one eye, who then called out

“Hey! Its one of those weird jesters! The ones from the east!”

The golem flinched, ready to expect a rotten vegetable until it saw many sets of eyes eagerly waiting. Slowly, the golem took out a second dagger, and did its usual routine, throwing and catching the daggers in a circular motion. The action attracted more and more attention... Smiles, laughter.

‘Come come, come and see, the greatest jester to ever be!’

The golem sung merrily to itself as it attracted a small crowd.

Lumen... Jan-Hendrik had first seen the city as a boy. He remembered marveling at it, then. Its bustling markets. The temple of Midra, with its crystal adorned obelisk towering high over the city and its people. Looking upon it now, he could not help but feel like it had lost some of its luster. Then again, so had he.

The cart rocked back and forth, jostling the smelly peasants who had no better way to reach the city on this - apparently - so holy of days. Jan has wished he’d picked a better time to try and enter the city, intending to lie low. He reckoned that the whole country must be clamoring to get a look at their supposed goddess. Which meant, undoubtedly, that the mages would send a delegation. Would he be recognized, now, in his sorry state? Perhaps.

He’d burn them all. Curse them. The traitors. Jan bristled at the thought of them, the men and women who had brought him so low. They’d pay. They’d all pay... Jan sighed, and another hole in the road nearly threw him headlong over the side of the caravan. A burly, scrunched-faced farmer shoved Jan off of him. Who was he kidding? He was powerless, now. Stripped of it, alongside his dignity.

Finally, the caravan came to a halt, unloading its human cargo as near to the citadel as the city watch would permit. Jan stumbled, his legs wobbly from the long ride, and ended up knee deep in the mud. He shot up, weathered the snickers of the peasants, who’d take any chance they could to laugh at the expense of those who were so clearly above their station... In vain he tried to collect some shard of self respect, flattening the ruffles of his lapel as he made his way into the city. He had hoped to book a room somewhere. Something modest - his pockets were not so deep as they used to be - but warm and dry. He hoped to also have a bath. Jan worried he was beginning to stink. But unfortunately the crowds were too thick, and he now realized, most if not all of the shops he passed were closed. Devils curse his rotten timing.

Left with little choice, Jan allowed himself to be lead up the long walk toward the temple of Midra, drawing his collar up high around his face.

Last edited:
Lumen temple square

The city was bustling as people flooded in for hours. Millions of people on their pilgrimage to witness their goddess return. Trays filled with offerings filled the arms of many, to be cast into the sacrificial vault, a massive steel box on stone wheels nearly the size of a house with two dozen huge burley men and orcs holding on to several iron handles ment to push the sacrifice forward. Among them was Jethro beaming an excited grin. After nearly three hours had passed the massive ornate temple doors opened and several paladins in cermonial armor would walk out in a formation at first parting the crowd before forming lines leading up to the temple doors and ending at the sacrificial vault.

The sounds of chiors and instruments could be heard emanating from the temple as the high preist came to address the crowds. A loud cheer erupted from amongst the faithful which then quieted to a low din as the man raised his hands and preparred to speak. "We are gathered here Today on this most glo-" "Whats that in the sky?!?" a man said causing many others to shift their gaze upwards at the ball of golden fire falling towards the temple. Shouts erupted as the ball veered away from the temple and slammed directly into the sacrificial vault landing inside of it with a loud clang that would make the biggest of bells blush at thier own inadequacy. The impact shattered the stone wheels and carried the several ton cart i to the air almost slamming it atop dozens of civilians. Yet it stopped in midairhovering still as if it were bolted down. Moments later light began to shine through the steel and in a flash it was vaporized.

The cloud finally disappated revealing the golden clad goddess seeming a little dishevled as if she were tired. "So sorry, its a bit hard to steer at top sspeed." her voice said seeming to come from everywhere at once, the air ,the ground, everything. She lowered herself so that her feet were touching the ground, not that it did much to alleviate people need to look up at her, she was at least twelve feet tall in her even in bare feet. "Nine hundred and ninety nine years and fifty one months ago i left you with one request...to prepare." she closed her eyes with a thoughtful look, raising her hands. Soon afterwards a smile wasged over her face. "And you have done perfectly. We have enough weapons to arm a populous ten times our own, enough food to last 100 years behind our walls, and enough Enchanted artifacts to glass the surface of the planet. In one weeks time the barrier will end and the monster kings hordes will decend upon us." she raised her fist defiantly "They will find our brillance blinding, our wills insurmountable, and our blades thirsty." cheers erupted through the crowds and the goddess turned towards the temple beginning to walk towards it. "Tonight i will celebrate with you, tomorrow we will go to our positions, and in a weeks time we will test the preparrations we have made."
~~~
The goddess was beautiful, even if her skin wasnt green enough. The way she handled that steel vault was enough to make Jethros orcish heart pump. she began to walk towards the temple yet as she walked six orbs of light would rise from her wings. Yet no one seemed to notice them. Jethro did however and a puzzled look washed over his face as they hovered off in different directions, one of them coming directly towards him. He looked around to see if anyone else noticed anything but everyone was too busy celebrating. Instinctively his hands curled into fists, but the orb simply floated up to him and said "Come on, follow me, she wants to see you." its voice was jovial and childlike which a bit disarming. He was further confused when the orb began to lead him away from the temple towards the western gate. "Where are we going Tiny ball person?" he said in his gruff voice. The orb just giggled, "Im an archon silly, she wants to meet you outside the walls by the river. The others will be going there as well." the creature brightened up a little bit and jethro assumed that was a smile of sorts. However he couldnt help but be disappointed, here he thought he was getting summoned to a private meeting with the Goddess. Before he could focus on his disappointment too long the archon giggled again. "Get your mind out of the gutter buddy your about to meet a goddess." jethro blushed a bit but did as the little archon told following it while keeping his thoughts on his work.

It was a shame that she had to leave her friend in the stables, but at least she made sure that she would be pampered. Well, as much as a horse could be pampered. She'd still never hear the end of the complaints about the stables and their comparisons to the rooms in the keep where Sayviel had rested while she was an elf. She would just make it up to her by bringing her some apples from the feast. Some carrots too, now that she thought about it. With that little problem settled in the bard's mind, she turned her attention to the celebration. Gracious was it ostentatious! One would expect it, though, given the reason for the event and all. She listened to the man about to speak when there was a blazing ball falling straight from the heavens themselves! Was it a spell gone awry, Filomena too scarred from the last time that happened to automatically think otherwise. And then there was a voice that spoke once the steel vault was kept from killing those below spectating the spectacle.

That voice! It was so beautiful that it had the bard's attention in a heartbeat. There was a musicality to it that the bard could only wish to obtain, and it was both strong and feathery at the exact same time. Like how diamond was so strong. Filomena felt emboldened by the goddess's words, and she wished for a moment that she could meet this goddess, to learn from her how she could possibly inspire others so easily with her words and voice. Yet she was haulted from doing so as a golden orb crossed her path.

Magic. It radiated from this being and made the elf tilt her head. "I'm used to receiving love letters, but I have a feeling that you are not being sent my way for such a thing," she teased. The orb was leading her somewhere, and it wasn't the first time that she was following something that others would think she was daft, or drunk, or both to do. She constantly talked to an ensorceled pony after all. The female elf shifted her instruments on her back and looked toward where the orb was leading her. "This isn't the way for the celebration, little one. Hopefully you have better directional sense than I do," she laughed. The orb bounced up and down as if emphatically disagreeing with the elven woman's assessment that they were getting lost.

"All right! All right. You have my unending trust. I shall follow you to the ends of the world if that is what you require of me. Hopefully that is not the case, but there have been places that I've been that felt like it." The orb was not leading her to the edge of the world but rather to the river, she could hear it long before she could see it. There was an orc already there, something that set the elf on edge. They didn't particularly have good relations, and this one looked like quite the brawler. Well, that meant it was best to stay on his good side lest the past repeat itself. Better to have his beastial nature at her disposal than working against her since, while she was quite the fencer, that was..not quite as effective past the peacocks of court.

"Hello, friend," she greeted Jethro with a bright smile. "Seems we have both been led here by our light companions." Oh. Speaking of companions...Sayviel was going to be right miffed that she had done this without consulting her. Sayviel was, after all, a little more sensible than Filomena and tended to be the one to keep her from doing the more impulsive things that got them caught in traps. Like that time she almost got them trapped by robbers because they used the 'poor, pitiful, injured maiden' trick. Filoemena nearly fell for it, but the cynical Sayviel caught her.

Oh well. She'd just...get her extra sugar cubes. That'd pacify her.

Gabriele, as one could expect for a priest of Midra, was at least mildly inclined towards joy at this celebration. Even if he believed it a bit of a farce, a thousand years of a dome was... Astounding. From what he could gather, that was probably longer than any other kingdom stood. He might be wrong of course. He wasn't exactly a historian after all. He just hoped the ceremony went well. People would be happy, and he could probably excuse himself to an early day off from preaching, claiming it the will of Midra... Maybe.

However, as he stood back to watch the proceedings, slightly envious eyes upon the paladin, something occurred. Something he didn't quite expect, but must admit he found extremely hilarious. Their Goddess Queen, the one who so dutifully has protected them for nearly a thousand years... Crashed her own celebration. Clearly no invite, not that she really needed one. Hijacked the proceedings, interrupted the high priest's speech... And then just walked off from the crowd. At least she had a sense of humor about her. He could appreciate that.

Yet, when she left, he did in fact, note an orb of light that ignored the other priests and paladins, and instead came to a hover before him. Such an experience was truly shocking, and thus he sort of looked around before disturbing his self imposed silence.

"Are you lost, little... Orby guy?"

"Oh, Gabriele. I'd have imagined you'd know what I am!" The little light orb seemed to chuckle, a little tingling noise like chimes as it's lights brightened. "I'm a Lantern Archon, and Midra is interested in you~!" There was no face to extrapolate this from, but Gabriele was fairly certain it was wording it that way to mess with him. Child-like voices doing a sing song is rarely trustworthy. "So just follow me, and you can meet your Goddess personally!"

"... Fine then, I suppose I shall. After all, there's a week before any monsters, so I don't have a reason to distrust you. Lead the way." He gestured outwards and smiled politely. Here's hoping this little bastard ain't lying. After all, Midra clearly had a sense of humor.

For his efforts, Gabriele was rewarded with a free excuse to leave the celebration, and to potentially talk to his Goddess. He wanted to settle a bet on if he properly was a priest or not. Some of his fellows were adamant he wasn't, and he was adamant they're gatekeeping pricks. This train of thought would've continued, if not for the distracting sound of a happily playing river. Rushing water around small rocks. Truly a lovely sound that reminded him of home. He could spy, with his eyes, two other figures. An orc who dared to be taller than him, and an elf who he was fairly certain dared the same. Sure, that wasn't their fault, but it soured his mood slightly to not be considerably tall amongst this group.

Whereas a normal person would introduce themself, maybe clichè would dictate them bonding over clearly a shared experience they're about to have... Gabriele ignored that desire. Instead, he gave a nod of the head to the clearly scrappy Orc. Fairly certain he was one of the pole bearers for the ceremony. As for the elven lady? He'd give her a mild bow, a short dip of the body before just casually standing by the river, watching the waters.

Ermrig was not unfit, not in the slightest. His arms strong from the forge with the muscle to show. His legs however, not so much. Never much of a sprinter or runner, but average when it comes to leg muscles. Compared to the steps of the temple though, it was taking it's toll.

"Dammit *gasp*, dammit it all", he said.

There on the top of the steps stood a very tired dwarf who looked ready to sit down, which he was about to do. But exactly when he spotted a nice bench he was interrupted by a loud explosion sounding not unlike a bell coming from the center of the temple, followed by a loud booming voice that Ermrig couldn't quite understand. Ermrig walked through a doorway to find the source and stepped into the temple square, which features an open roof over the whole area. "...and in a weeks time we will test the preparations we have made.", was all he heard when he entered into the main room. But oh what a sight to see! The goddess Midra stood at the center looking as if she had stepped out of a painting still wet. But alas, she decided to walk away from the crowd, thus away from his field of view and his life. Seeing the dis-array and people cleaning up the mess in the square Ermrig decided to just head back to Collin's bar. He had shown up to hear the speech and to see Midra herself speaking to the populace, but now it didn't seem like he'd have a chance. But right before he turned around he did notice 6 orbs show up behind the goddess, though he just dismissed it and turned back around out the doorway.

Walking towards the steps and right before stepping down, light blinded him.

"Hello!", the light said.

"Fuck!", Ermrig said.

The light had flown right in front of Ermrig's face and startled him, which made him swivel, do a 180, and have his body a set projectile down the steps. His body being a bloody corpse at the bottom of the steps, if the light hadn't saved him.

"Woah! Slow down friend! I didn't scare you that hard did I? The goddess wouldn't want to see you playing around!", the light said in a playful tone.

Ermrig was having none of this but at the moment he couldn't respond. He had been scared to almost death and now he was on his knee's. The light had promptly stopped his fall before he fell. The light now in front of him made itself known. "Sorry about that! I've been sent by the goddess to bring you to a location! Please, when you are ready just follow my lead. She wants to see you.", said the light. Ermrig was now bewildered. Seconds ago he was scared, seconds after that he was mad, and now; he was confused. The goddess herself had sent a guide to bring him to a location where she wanted to meet him! But, her guide almost killed him. Ermrig couldn't decide if he wanted to be mad or to be glad. The guide also spoke in a child's voice, which both disarmed and confused Ermrig, only leading to more questions.

"Why me?", Ermrig replied shakily.

"I can't tell you that, only goddess can silly! Follow me!", the light replied.

The light now zooming off and making circles, stopping suddenly with what Ermrig could only imagine it being that it was waiting for him. Seeing there was no use defying its orders and considering the goddess was involved, he felt more than inclined to follow. Walking down the stairs now he noticed that quite a lot of people were doing the opposite, the light now weaving in-between people without them reacting at all to it. 'Quite strange, no reactions. It must be invisible to everyone else.', thought Ermrig. Walking through the city was a different story, barren of people with only a few stragglers standing around. The light now on a steady course it suddenly took a sharp turn heading toward the forest. Ermrig followed.

The light now bringing him to a break in the tree lining it was revealed to be the side of a river, though he could hear it a little ways back along with some conversation. Ermrig didn't frequent this river often so for the most part it was unfamiliar. There were 3 people standing near the river. The first being an orc which he recognized as he had made frequent trips to forge in the past, Jethro he believed his name was. The second being an Elven lady who Ermrig did not recognize, though not for a lack of trying. The third being a human wearing a set of robes, he imagined he frequented the temple. Now fully in view of the three and having their attention Ermrig decided to sit down up against a tree, adjusting his crossbow so as to be comfortable. Looking at the group he said:

"Don't mind me, been walking all morning.", he said.

Ermrig hoped they liked mead.

The golem would continue juggling merrily, even adding some heavier objects such as fruits from nearby stalls to the mix. However, as the bright goddess crashed down upon the congregation, Murmur stumbled, dropping the mess onto itself. Fortunately, the pointy ends of the daggers didn't harm the golem much, but what truly vexed them was that all the attention was robbed off of itself. Grumbling quietly, Murmur would pick up the daggers, stuffing them into it's straps as it hummed a light tune

"Quick and mercurial, love fades..."

The golem seemed about ready to head out until the bright orbs of the goddess appeared around her. Nearly as radiant as the gem above the tower. Murmur seemed completely enraptured, tilting its head as it stared at the orbs. Suddenly, one would come barreling towards him, bringing the commotion of the onlookers again.

"Hello! Come, we have something spec-"

Without letting the strange orb finish it's sentence, Murmur tried to grab it. As the golems hand passed straight through the orb, it tried again and again until eventually the light spirit let itself be grabbed like a ball. Immediately, the golem would start juggling again with the orb. Small laughs and chuckles sparked from the crowd as Murmur continued with the show

"I know this is really fun, but we have to go! It's really important!"

A sentiment that Murmur completely ignored. Throwing the orb and a pair of daggers up into the air, the golem would do a handstand, kicking all of the objects up with it's flat feet.

"Oh brother..."

The light spirit muttered before slowly becoming intangible again. Murmur glanced up.... Or down...? It could see the orb now floating in front of it's porcelain mask

"Come, let's play somewhere else!"

The orb pleaded as it hovered through the crowd

"Come back! I'm not done with the show!"

Murmur... murmured in a somewhat alarmed tone as it immediately gave chase, pushing through the crowd and sliding through them with such speed.

The chase would continue for a few minutes, the orb flying raidly through the air while Murmur ran after it. The golem's gait was completely off, flailing it's limbs and doing the occasional cartwheel as it ran. It was a wonder how it managed to not stumble in it's wild chase. Eventually, Murmur prepared a great leap as the orb began to slow down. Landing with a roll, the golem grabbed the orb in both hands. However, as it opened them, the orb was nowhere to be seen!

The construct was awfully confused and began looking around, taking in it's surroundings for the first time: A strange grassy field and many odd faces. Four to be exact.

Did the orb bring it here to play with them?

The golem reached for it's daggers. This seemed like an awful lot like an assassination contract. Maybe it would get rewarded by the orb?

"No they're your friends!"

The orb called out in a panicked tone. Murmur spun it's head around, trying to find it again before hanging it's head defeated. Might as well introduce itself.

Taking a few steps forward in front of the congregation of the red-haired bard, the chiseled orc, the keen-eyed dwarf, and a pious human. With a bow, Murmur silently took out it's ragged deck of cards as it began shuffling them, preparing for a trick...

Magic tricks are the best way to make friends, right?

Jan had missed the second coming of the goddess. He had been spotted. Or, at the least, he had thought he'd been spotted. A delegation of mages had crossed his path en route to the temple, men and women he knew, and who knew him. Naturally, he fled, rather than stick around for the proceedings, sure in the knowledge that an ajudicator was on its way to slap him in shackles and haul him back to the Mage's Tower - probably to face summary execution... Jan doubted they'd grant him the opportunity to slip their hold a second time.

And so, he'd missed the return of the goddess, hiding in a stable of all places. It stunk of horse. Jan shuddered to think that he was probably contributing to the overall smell of the place in no small way. The weeks on the run had not been kind to him. He was still hoping to have a wash before he left this city behind him. He was running toward a future that was, as of yet, unknown. Unplanned. And he was, as of yet, unprepared to face it. It was then, as he squatted among the pigs and goats - and other miscellaneous stable denizens - that Jan truly believed he had gone laughably, irreversibly mad.

He pointed a single gloved hand out before him, looking to the creatures in the stable imploringly. "Can any of you see that?" He asked.

Floating before him, as clear as a lighthouse gleaming on the horizon, was an orb which radiated a soft, yellow light. Jan blinked, rubbed his one uncovered eye - immediately regretted it as the stink of his riding gloves assaulted his nose - and looked again. The orb had not disappeared. It hung there, bobbing lazily, as if it were floating atop an invisible lake. This was magic, but the spell was foreign to him. He had never seen its like before. Perhaps the order had tampered with his memories as well as his repertoire of spells... Jan was certain that whatever it was - be it a mage's spirit familiar or some other form of peculiar magic - it had been sent by members of the magisterium to root him out of hiding. His captors would be banging down the walls of this stable soon.

Then, of course, they did not. Jan felt strangely disappointed when nothing of the sort occurred. The only alternative he could fathom was that this time he had truly lost his senses. His last remaining eye was in open rebellion, creating illusory balls of light to toy with his jagged mind. His confusion spoiled into rage. Flames licked to life along his fingertips.

"Don't think I won't burn you out! Begone." He made a great show of flourishing his magic, flames dancing in the air. The orb did not react. Jan thought it might be pitying him. And why wouldn't it? He'd never had reason to bluff before now. Of course he was a poor performer, so much so that he couldn't even intimidate a figment of his own imagination. Jan deflated, the flames licking themselves out. Then the orb spoke.

"Are you done, yet?"

It asked in a voice that was half childish, half petulant pre-teen. Before Jan knew it, the orb was leaving. He was leaving, too. He followed it, for no reason other than he had no better prospects at the moment. As they walked, the orb told him that the goddess had chosen him, was seeking a meeting, and that they were currently on their way to meet her. He had to give his madness credit for an interesting story, at the least.

The orb and he left the city behind, following a line of trees that parted to reveal a river, where a small party had gathered. Jan had decided, if his sanity was through with him, he was at least going to enjoy his insanity.

"So, I don't suppose you five are all figments of my imagination?" He asked, giving each of them a stare, one at a time. What a motley bunch, he mused. He'd begun to think that he may not be insane. That this may all really be happening. He wasn't sure which truth he would prefer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back