• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
Hours passed, with the once later hours of the afternoon fading into the early hours of the evening. The Temple of Kasai was to begin fading in the light, as the heavy Summer embodiment of her power and creation began to set into Terran's Horizon. Not many were to be seen moving about, save for the occasional apostle going about their business involving preparation for the ceremony of the Kings Pantheon meeting with the Flame Goddess, or running about with food to prepare for the meal that would take place shortly thereafter. Some members of said pantheon had retired to their temporary rooms, others remained awake to prepare themselves for the meeting with the Celestial figure.

It was understandably a nerve wracking thing, even for the King who had stood before such a figure of immense power responsible for all creation upon this earth. Meeting one's maker, and accepting that they knew everything about you. Every flaw, every secret, every exposing detail the none upon the face of this entire universe could ever hide behind any sort of facade or disguise. In every literal meaning of the expression, they could stare straight through to your soul and read you like a book. They'd know your fear, your joy, your sorrow, your rage, everything. What's more, is they'd know it far before one would ever even have time to open their mouth or change the expression upon their face. The only thing that would determine your level of fear, was whether or not you had something to hide. That question would need to be carefully evaluated by every member of the pantheon before they were to step foot into the Inner Sanctum of Kasai.

Though they were to be predetermined as pure in heart and intent, penitence precedes prophecy.

Once all things were prepared and ready of the Pantheons reception, a single apostle would approach the individual bedrooms present in the upper halls of the Temple. First, they walked toward the room of the King and knocked a total of three times within rapid succession. Within a few seconds, The King was to answer the door, already more than ready to enter into the Sanctum. He was adorned no longer in his standard armor and cloak, instead he now wore a set of white robes that were tailored in a similar fashion too that of the ones that Apostles wore. Except, much like the Disciple's robes, a subtle golden trim was added to the robes folded edges. It was a ceremonial robe, only used for very special occasions such as these, and it would be Arvin's first time wearing it as the King and Prophet of the land.

"The Inner Sanctum is prepared for the Prophet and Pantheon whenever they so desire to enter."

"Splendid! I shall make my way there now. Gather the others up and lead them there once they have all emerged from their rooms or wherever they might be in the Temple. In the meantime, I'll shall make one last prayer to the Four for guidance before seeking answers to my questions."

"As you wish, dear Prophet."

All things said, Arvin went his separate way, down into the deeper halls of the Temple on the familiar path to the Inner Sanctum in which he and many other Kings long past had walked before.....

In the meantime, The rest of the Pantheon would be summoned one by one by the same Apostle. To each of them, he would request the same thing. Maintain reverence, and remain silent in the Sanctum unless directed otherwise. If asked where the King was, he would simply inform them all that the King was already down in the Sanctum waiting for them all. So, the journey along the same path Arvin had taken through the glorious walls of the temple was underway.

As our heroes were to stand before the chamber in the under halls of the Temple's foundation, they would see yet another glorious door this time constructed of stone. It depicted the passage of scripture detailing Kasai's construction of the sun, with a quote from the phrase etched into its surface in the ancient written language of Örn. The apostle was to approach, and knock a solid three times before the towering stone carpentry was pried from one another and swung outwards as two apostles had been standing at the ready to open the Sanctum for the Pantheon.

Inside, they'd see more marvelous wonders of stone craftsmanship. All things present within were forged from the molten rock of the Earth's Core, including the very floor the Pantheon was to walk. It depicted several more intricate illustrations of the Flame Goddess and her story of stumbling upon this corner of the Universe and beginning this cycle of dispute and battle against the Void and its many terrifying creations. Her interactions with the other Gods, the many things she was to create. They were all documented here, in this indestructible Sanctum of Kasai's very fabricated core. In the centermost portion of the room was a statue of the goddess herself, kneeling yet still towering over them all. She rested canting to the left, with here palms raised, holding a rather delicate flame that was not made of stone as the rest was. No, this was a sacred flame. An eternal flame. One that had been ignited since the Temple's construction oh so many years ago. Before the statue of the Goddess was an etched and colored depiction of the sun which flowed in a spiral pattern outwards. The outermost portion started as a vibrant red, yet faded to orange in the middle sections, and then ended as a bright yellow at the very center.

Arvin, standing at the very edge of the suns depiction, stood with his head bowed. Yet, once his Pantheon would eventually draw close, his head would raise and he would turn to them with a soft smile on his face.

"Welcome my friends, to one of the most holy places in the entire world. I hope you all had ample time to prepare yourself for this, as I did. If you have any fears at this time, I ask you to leave them behind. Our Goddess will approach us only as friends and allies, so long as you do not give her a reason to think otherwise. Now, Join me at the edge of the sun, but do not step within the confines of its color just yet." Once they followed his instructions, Arvin looked toward the statues and spoke softly. "Goddess Kasai, thy servants seek counsel with thee. Hear us, and let us enter into thy domain."

There was silence, with the only noise being the echo of Arvin's voice reverberating off the walls once he had finished speaking. Yet, the fire before them began to crackle and flicker in a less still fashion as it had before. Then, a new, yet bodiless spoke softly yet in a way in which all could here.

"Step forward, my children, for your Goddess hears your pleas."

Arvin led the way into the suns carving, and the Pantheon would notice as they were to step upon the vibrant colors of the depiction, the world around them seemed to fade away. Instead of walls in every which direction, and the Apostles circled around the carving, there was only darkness with the eternal flame acting as a light source amongst it all. All else was gone, there was only this strange domain of Kasai in which they had been allowed to tread upon. Once the Pantheon reaches the reddish-orange tinge of the middle layers, Arvin brought them all to a halt.

“This is as close as you all shall go. Whatever you do, and whatever you hear. Do not approach closer, and do not leave the circumference of the sun. Focus only on your prayers, and on her voice.”

It was an ambiguous and somewhat disturbing way of providing instructions. But Arvin didn’t necessarily have the time to explain. Even if he did, he figured their own experience with this communication would be better than him trying to explain what would happen himself. So, the King left them were they were instructed, and he himself step further toward the yellow until he was upon the center of the spiraling pattern which was directly before the statue of the flame goddess.

“Kneel, and listen. Close your eyes, and block all other things out.”

Arvin followed his own instructions, refraining from speaking any longer, and removed the hood from atop his head as he did so. Head bowed once more, he began his fervent prayer to the one who had bestowed this blessing to him. His heart begged for answers to his nightmares, and to the many questions he had of the things to come.

Sure enough, once all members of the Pantheon had carried out the Kong’s final instructions, the same tender voice from before spoke again.

“My children, Leaders of Mankind, and Chosen Pantheon of the Four...”

“I sense much distress in your minds. Much turmoil, and just as much a confusion...”

“These are troubling times for you all, I understand this. So I offer to bring you a slight peace of mind....”

”Open your hearts to me, and ask one question and I shall provide an answer in full...”

”But be warned, should your intent with my information be questioned... You will remain ignorant to these things.”

A promise of a question to be answered from a God who knows all things? Quite the deal, and one that brought extreme joy to Arvin’s heart, knowing that his mind may finally be out at rest. So that he might continue his work of protecting his people, and preparing for the Apocalypse.

But, nothing in this world is free. Godly or otherwise.

“However, prepare your minds. For in exchange for my own knowledge, you will answer a question of my own. Unique to the every one of you...”

“I shall be honest, so long as you remain honest with me...”

“Do these things, and blessed will you be from this moment on...”

A price of answering the question of a Goddess was truly terrifying. What could she wish to know from them that she couldn’t already understand herself? Many things would have to be considered, before any members of the Pantheon could attempt to engage in this deal. However, before they could even begin to let the cogs in their mind turn, another voice called out from the darkness. One that brought no warmth, or any sort of comfort. No, instead it was cold, lifeless almost. Truly without body or presence, save for the foreboding tone it brought upon the room.

“Nay, I beckon you brave heroes...”

“The one you have heard intends to deceive you, and to lead your Souls unto damnation...”

“I beseech thee...”

“Approach the folds of the darkness...”

“Escape from this Fatal Illusion...”

“And I shall answer you not one question, but all the mysteries of this world.”

Only half of the Pantheons members would hear this chilling call of the darkness, while the others would hear even still another voice. This time radiation from the center of the room, almost directly above Arvin.

“Dear champions, why do you sit so far from me...?”

“My Children, draw closer! Fall into the embrace of my warmth!”

“You should not be held in exile in comparison to your foolish King!“

“He wishes to hide his own information from you all!”

“He keeps you at so that you might only have one Question answered!”

“Come near to me, and I will answer thee all things!”

Juju Juju seasonedcat seasonedcat ItsKenAgain ItsKenAgain Ramjammer Ramjammer The True Plague The True Plague

The rest of the afternoon was well spent. After a thorough cleaning, Aurin roamed the parts of the temple that he could, admiring it like a gallery, spending the time as a luxury. Exploring helped to calm his thoughts, and the ones that were left he took with him into one of the common prayer rooms, taking the opportunity to confess them ahead of time. This candlelit meditation took quite some time, but it was liberating. He finished with a deep sigh and then was met soon after by an apostle bidding him to return to his temporary room. Evidently the ceremony in the inner sanctum would begin soon and he had to prepare himself.

He returned quietly to the room, and found a white robe waiting. Not something he would typically find himself wearing, but he figured the same for much of the Pantheon. Aurin donned the ceremonial robe anyhow, surprised by its fit. He pulled his hair out over the collar, letting it fall behind his back. The Knight sat on the edge of the bed, waiting. He twisted at the rings on his fingers to pass the time until he decided those were probably best left behind as well. Eventually he could begin hearing knocks, until a set landed on the door of his room.

Entering the inner sanctum was like traveling through time, back to the beginning. If there was ever one thing Aurin longed to see more than anything else, it would be the creation of their world. As it was, Kasai was the first to bring anything out of the darkness, and dared to stand against the Void. Now the Void was encroaching on her masterpiece and it was almost like a test of its worth as now the life that was created had to fight back. He hoped they had the strength to do so. It seemed maybe this was why they must have faith in the first place.

Greater than the murals that led into the sanctum, was the grand stone depiction of the Goddess Kasai. Towering over them, holding immense power and strength, yet still appearing gentle, graceful. The goddess of fire was many things, and warmth was part of her appeal. She held a flame in her hands, representing the beginning, the end, the loop of eternity.

King Arvin was already there, head bowed. Some others had arrived before him and others had yet to come. Aurin waited, trying to follow the King’s lead and reaffirm some of his prayers from earlier, but he found it hard to take his eyes off of the dancing flames overhead.

After a short while they’d all gathered and Arvin turned to address them. Aurin considered his words, and did as he said, bringing his feet to the edge of the sun design on the floor. As the King called out to the Goddess, the echoing of his voice brought a beating to his heart. He almost didn’t dare to breathe, awaiting some response. When the Goddess spoke, it was strange to hear, but so incredibly fulfilling. The Knight broke into a smile, exhaling softly to himself with joy. If candlelight had a voice, this would be it.

They followed Arvin further into Kasai’s realm. The material world began to strip itself away, but one hardly noticed until all that was left was flame and darkness- as it might’ve been in the beginning. However, they halted on the King’s command. He ordered them not to go further. As he always did, Aurin obeyed, yet part of him wondered what there might be beyond that point. The King seemed so deliberate- “Do not approach closer.” but his words only became stranger as he himself left them where they stood and continued further in before stopping. The Knight’s lips pursed, but his feet stayed planted. When he was told to kneel, he did so, dropping his head as well. In this position, it seemed almost futile to repeat his prayers another time, he only waited in eager anticipation for whatever was to come next.

Again the voice like candlelight danced, flickering around the room. She spoke with compassion, in a motherly tone for her children. The Goddess saw what they had seen, she knew what they had known. She offered an opportunity that one almost wouldn’t know what to do with. An answer, and a question. One to calm their minds, but what could she ask them that might not send their own thoughts reeling? She requested only honesty, which alone might be easy enough in response to a Goddess who crafted one’s being, yet in front of the others… There were many things one might admit to The Four that would never fall on the ears of another soul.

Almost right on the heels of the candlelight voice, another one interrupted. Aurin remained unmoving, not daring to until he heard what the voice had to say. This one was like the heat from a hearth, the center of a home, and came from the middle of the room. The voice seemed almost longing, calling them to come closer. The Knight rose his head slightly, only to look towards the others of the Pantheon. Some remained kneeling, others looked around, but not everybody seemed to look to the same place. Was this some divine calling, or a test?

The hearth voice continued, sounding of reason, yet calling their positions below King Arvin into question. She called them all in as equals, offering not one answer, but all the answers. Isn’t that what a mother would wish to give to her children? Aurin’s eyes fell onto the back of his King, searching for a clear solution, but finding more questions rising than anything.

Why would the hearth voice call out if it had no place here? Wouldn’t a Goddess want to have the closest bonds with her creation? If a mother was so often kept from her children, would she not long for their embrace when they finally found their way to her? King Arvin was said to be Kasai’s blessed prophet, and he certainly held her gift and her favor… Yet, if they were all her children, all her chosen, why must they remain further from her than one young King? Was it true that he was holding them back? He had brought them here. He’d had them trek through the woods all day for this, one doesn’t typically ask that of others lightly, and the King surely hadn’t. He had allowed them to come with him into the sanctum. Yet, Arvin had been here before, and he knew what was to befall them, right? If he knew this and didn’t tell them these things, what was he hiding?

Was this a test of Arvin’s? A way to gauge their fealty to him? If it was a test, that called his motives into question if one was to make the correct decision. A prophet King. What would he value more if he was worthy- fealty to himself, or to that of The Four. Did he hope to rule out those that were unworthy here? Who would trust his command, and who might listen to the calling of the divine above him instead? What if he meant to keep only those that chose to follow him? Aurin dropped one palm to the ground, almost trancelike, inching upwards...

After all, Aurin was only in service of the King now because he’d previously placed the value of serving man over that of the Gods. He found himself blessed with the great mercy of a second chance to prove himself, and this could be it. What if remaining where Arvin said was a command meant to challenge his faith? Loyalty, faith, men, prophets, gods and goddesses, where did he stand? Would any answer suffice as long as it was in opposition to the evil that prodded them from the Void? He stopped, half standing.

Yet the candlelight voice, it carried a weight, a responsibility. It was easy to get close, but extend one’s reach too far and you’d be burned on its flame. Would an all-knowing being even need to ask a question of her children? Who was it for- them or her? If for her, then what could she need with that knowledge? Did she stand to gain something from that which she already owned? Was it like being caught red-handed and having to admit to the troubles one had caused? Perhaps a lesson was to come of it…

Surely the thing that separated mortals from The Four, and from the vices of the Void was a prudent horizon of knowledge. If one knew too much, held too many answers, what was the point of seeking guidance from the creators? There must be balance, or one would fall astray. They might succumb to evil temptations, and illusions of godhood, that would challenge the very fabric of their being. The evils the kingdom faced now, they must come from thoughts like this. One could never expect to hold the knowledge of The Four without becoming an enemy of them. But, then, what was King Arvin doing closer to the center than anyone?

The Knight dropped back to his knees. What audacity did he have to stand before any of the Four? If he fancied himself a servant, who was he to defy orders? To question what was in front of him? He gritted his teeth and felt the corners of his mouth pulling into a sneer at himself. He had answered this call, come this far since losing everything he had known before. How dare he be ignorant enough to throw this all away due to mistrust? With all this weighing on his shoulders, he lost sight of a truth. One that the candlelight voice he’d heard speak first already knew.

There were so many answers he still couldn’t imagine facing. The opportunity to know all things came with such a terrible price. There was the potential for much more pain and regret than any of the Four would ever bestow on a soul. With all the turmoil one would hold in their lifetime already, again, there had to be balance…

The Knight sighed, and began thinking, his face growing hot as the pressure built. He would get one shot at this. In the end it came down to a question of faith, and of humanity's worth before the Four. He must be honest in front of Kasai, and he had to expect to pay a price. It was only fair for such a gift. Finally he began his question.

Kasai… I come before you to ask one thing. I’ve been lost, hoping to find my purpose. Hoping I will fulfill that purpose. I am where I am now because I failed before... I asked for a sign, at a shrine to Argus and I believe it led me to follow King Arvin. I was surprised to be met with such grace, and to be brought all the way here. Now that I fall before you, I am troubled as you know. The Void comes for us. I know we must fight. I know that I must continue to believe we can win, or else we’ve already lost. I have to hope we haven’t been forgotten… To settle my mind, I must ask… You, and all of the Quadrinity… Will you help us to defeat the Void?

Crow, in his usual difference to everyone else... Spent the time before the huge ceremony actually snapping. Because Crow knows about something called self care, which the King, and a few others, could learn a bit about. Then again, he only chose said option because he's been unable to really sleep at the castle, and he didn't feel right studying demon anatomy under the hallowed halls of the Temple to Kasai, or any of the big temples to be honest. Thus, he had to choose between a sight seen before... Or slipping into that oft denied bliss of dreamland. It was obvious his choice.

Nevertheless, that's not to say that his rest was peaceful. After all, he couldn't shake the feeling something was wrong, even in his sleep... However, he also felt there was little he could do about it. Which given his usual lack of sleep, led to an... Interesting dream. Of a different time when he could tell something was up, but also knew there was nothing that could be done about it...

Although he was not on that battlefield, by the King's orders, he knew the scene well enough. The dead lay in uncountable piles, demons and mortals alike. Beasts and nobles bled in equal amounts. Good and evil, strong and weak, it mattered not. Everywhere you looked, the ravages of war had seen to it that a body or a more grisly reminder of death lay there. That's not to even count the injured whom lay amongst the piles. In spite of monumental death and injury, demons still swarmed the field. A being of perverted fire stood out the most, lighting up the world before him.

As it rose its arm for a strike against a silhouette wearing a crown, the dream changed. Instead of a battlefield he'd never seen... He was brought instead to that day the demons invaded anew. To the Pantheon injured, some worse than others. That feel of absolute, sheer powerlessness washing over him. A faint, taunting voice echoed around him, reminding him of the fragility of that he clung to. Reminding him that just as much as he knew to fix, his enemies knew just how to destroy it. The human body, which he fought so hard to fix, was much more easily taken apart. Every sickness presenting new challenges. How many times could he put them back together? How much longer could he stay together?

These questions, and so much more were given voice in his head, every doubt he had about his current position in life was brought up. Every minute worry that he didn't acknowledge wanted to make itself known. Although he could force himself awake... He needed the rest, troubled as it was. It was better to have some rest than to continue forcing himself to continue on via stimulants. Which reminded him... He'd need to mix up some more at some point. Work still isn't done at the castle, even if he's taken a day break from it.

Eventually, as all good things do, his rest came to an end due to an insistent knock on his door. When Crow awoke, he noted the robe that was hung neatly in the room. Made sense. If he were to enter the sanctum, he'd not be allowed his own robes... Which sucked major ass. His own robes were handmade with exquisite skill in his eyes. This white robe with gold trim paled in comparison in his eyes. However, he supposed with his mask...

Merely a minute after stepping out into the hallway with his mask on, wearing the robes, he was rushed back inside and told in no uncertain terms he may not hide his face in the sanctum of Kasai. Fucking priests fuck ass fucks. So rude. Nevertheless, he complied and left his robes and mask behind. The symbols of his position, key parts of his identity in his eyes. It felt weird... Extremely weird. So instead, he distracted himself by checking his hair and noting he should redye it purple soon. Would hate for the natural color to show.

Slowly, surely, he'd make his way to the sanctum as was requested. Best hurry up and get this done. Sure, he'd like to see the beauty that is hidden from most eyes here... But every minute made him slightly more anxious. This was something important involving the Gods. He may not be particularly religious per se, but even he knew better than to fuck shit up. Which, given who he is, it's much easier said than done to not fuck shit up.

So it would be that Crow stood at the edge as instructed with an immense tension evident in his form. Forcing his back to stay straight, standing at his full height with forced steady breathing. Gotta keep it together Crow. Don't fall apart. This is the moment. They've been invited into the sun.

With rigid steps, Crow made his way in, up until they were told to cease and the King continued forth. For a moment, all was still, nothing to go off of. Just the encompassing darkness, flames, and knowledge the others are experiencing the same. Then once more, the King spoke. Bade them to kneel and pray where they are. So, did Crow kneel, close his eyes, shut out the others, and for the first time in a year, Crow began to pray.

The Goddess spoke to them all once more, promising an answer to a question, provided they have no questionable intent with said information. Furthermore, they must answer a question for Kasai... Which Crow thought was odd... But didn't bother to question. If the Goddess wished to question something of him, he supposed that meant they weren't as infallible as believed. They are creators, but that doesn't mean they know the inner hearts of man. Every imperfection, every beautiful facet.

However... The voice of the Goddess disappeared. Instead, a voice as lifeless and as sure as the Grave spoke up to him from his... He'd say maybe the left? Right? Definitely not forward... Nevertheless, it spoke of distrust in the Goddess. Distrust in the path they currently take. Instead it insisted upon him reaching for the darkness, dropping this illusion... Did it mean hope, or life? Furthermore, it promised all mysteries to be unveiled. It was... Tempting. Oh so tempting. There's so many mysteries he'd like to unravel... So little trust in the path life will take. So little he could expect the Gods to actually manage to do...

However, he can't allow that to color his perception here. He may not trust in the Four as much as others might, and his curiosity may be great... But he believes in his King, even if Arvin can be a bit stupid at times. Much like he believed in Kungen before him. He does his job, and he does it well. So, Crow pushed the dread words of what he'll call Death out of his mind, and would instead ask a question of his own. A fairly simple one, truth be told. However, mildly unexpected.

"... Will I be able to save this one? Even asking all four of you for help, I couldn't be there in time for Kungen. Will I be able to help Arvin in a time of need, or am I destined to fail my one job of seeing to the safety of the King again?"

e4d0f73008d36a647825b7e48d19a783.jpg
Aurelia felt much better after washing off the filth from the day's trek. The wash-pools were exquisite, though perhaps the visit might have been much more relaxing had Nemir not followed after her. The hulking woman had given her quite the fright when she dashed down the halls, and even in the baths she was still... intimidating.

The unease only grew when Aurelia returned to her chambers. She paced the floor of her small room, wringing her fingers together. Frankly, she never dreamed of meeting the gods while she lived. There was always a part of her that wondered if they were even anything like the stories and songs made them out to be. Were they fair or cruel? These uncertainties were vastly terrifying annoying. Dealing with nobility was easy, child's play for a blue-blood such as herself, but a goddess was something entirely different. There was no way she could prepare herself for the encounter, no clever tricks or lies to let her traverse the rockiest waters of conversation. No amount of charm, wealth or family power would sway a goddess of the four. Aurelia was utterly powerless, vulnerable. She hated it.

She sighed to herself and plucked at a stray thread on her robe, eyeing the embroidery with disinterest. At the very least everyone else would be too. That gave her some solace, but not enough. When one wore so many masks you grew to dislike what was underneath, all dark and twisted. If the goddess could see everything, her family, and what she had done, then this meeting may not be a happy one. Aurelia felt a surge of anger at this. If Kasai truly did smite the wicked then Aurelia would have to condemn the goddess herself. If she was playing judge, why would she start now? Beasts dressed as men, wolves among sheep, and heroes never kept their title for long. Aurelia refused to feel guilt for playing by the rules of a game she did not make.

A knock came at her door. Aurelia turned her head and sighed. It was time.

Aurelia arrived in the chamber shortly after Crow and Ser Aurin, the former almost causing her to break her silence. The amount of times she had seen Crow without his avian mask could be counted on one hand, and every single time it was delicious. Like a shark to fresh blood, Aurelia could easily see how awkward he felt without it, cracks in his usual arrogance. It was not hard to tell why. His hair was an outrageous purple, though she had to begrudgingly admit his face was far from homely. Normally seeing him like this would give her more confidence, but seeing him nervous was actually giving her a feeling of unease. She glanced at Sergio, wondering if he was also growing apprehensive. The truth and The Wind had a rocky relationship. Not even Aurelia was able to reliably pick up on Sergio's lies. Secrets were his trade, and she knew how reluctant he was to give them up. Aurelia walked beside him as they followed Arvin's directions and stopped at the edge of the solar ring.

The voice that spoke send ripples of warmth over Aurelia's body, yet a shiver of awe run up her spine. Her steps fell light as she walked deeper into the sanctum with the others. She knelt as she was told, and felt the beautiful voice return. It spoke of a deal, the currency one Aurelia was quite accustomed to, though this time she could not counterfeit her side.

As she pondered this, another voice drifted into her mind. It was dead, chilling, and yet terrifyingly sweet. Sea green eyes turned to the dark, peering past the flickering halo of light. As she turned her face away from the mote of flame she felt a soothing relief from the intense heat, though the longer she stared the more the chill crept in. She had grown so accustomed to the light that all other things were cold to her, nor could her eyes see through the shade. Aurelia tilted her head as she listened to the voice, letting her golden hair fall over a shoulder. Admittedly, she did play with the idea of stepping into that good night, a flirtation with the unknown. What could it offer? What secrets lay under the cover of darkness? What power would come from it?

In the end, the voice forgot one very important thing. Nothing was ever free. Aurelia knew the game and the price of staying where she was. On the other hand, she did not know what she was risking if she followed that siren song. While her imagination followed after the voice, her rationality overcame it. She already swam with piranhas, she did not need a shark. Besides, she sat in the chambers of a goddess. This could very well be a test of faith. If so, she already gained more respect for this goddess.

Ignoring the dark voice like an unwanted suitor, Aurelia accepted the offer of the goddess. "Very well, I will give you my question. Can we truly drive back the demons? King after king, it never seems to change. I have read all the songs, all the great works of poets long dead. We rise and we fall endlessly, over and over again in a cycle of crushed hope and death. Forgive me for my cynicism, goddess, but so many heroes have risen up, so many promising kings, and yet it all ends the same. You must understand, believing in anything is dangerous. Tell me, is Arvin enough? He has a good heart, a brave one, but that did nothing to save his father. I do not ask if we can stop the wheel. I wish to know if we can break it."

She could not find peace no matter how she tried. Had Nemir been a weaker willed woman; the kind prone to making excuses for herself, she'd have made many. That she was tired. That she was hungry. Confusion and fear of the unknown that lay ahead hounded her. Anything and everything all to avoid the truth of the matter.

Nemir was woefully, and terrifyingly unprepared for whatever was to come.

It was almost comical when she cared to think about it. A farce had she been of a mind to speak about it to anyone else. Here stood the last Judicator in Orn, afraid to meet one of her makers. It was shameful to even consider. The ghosts of House D'shem had to be howling in sorrow to know Nemir's sorry state. What Priest among her forebear's numbers could claim such a disgrace? Lines of Prelates stretching back to the founding of Orn and the writing of its very laws were her birthright. House D'shem would dream and the Gods would speak. Their words imprinted on not just the mind, but the very soul. The time had finally come. Not merely for Nemir, but for every ghost still shrieking in the bones of a long dead house. A single bloodline's destiny generations in the making was about to be made manifest once and for all. And all that could be shown for it was its last living daughter's inability to comprehend her place in it all.

The bath, lavish as it was had not helped. If anything, her mood worsened the longer that she immersed herself in it. The sheer opulence of the room only increased her dread. Nemir found no solace in those gilded pillars, likening them to the bars of a cage she'd been trapped in. The sweet smoke of incense was cloying, mingling with the smell of fragrant soaps and oils into a dizzying cloud. She was far too tense to even enjoy the brief respite she'd been given and had nearly fled the place when shed finished bathing, leaving Aurelia to fend for herself.

She couldn't even take solace in her armor. Assured by its protection, and the faint sense of anonymity that its helm granted her, Nemir had entered the Temple far more confidently then. But the familiar weight had been denied to her and replaced by light robes composed of a fabric she couldn't name.They were too loose. Too light. It lent a sense of vulnerability to her growing unease and Nemir felt her stomach twist further into knots.

Was she not better than this? It was a bitter thought. One that not even cold logic could dispel, much as she wanted it to.

Surely the rest of the Pantheon was of the same mind. Uncertain.Fearful. Only an arrogance that bordered on heretical would give someone cause to be unafraid in the face of their God. Not even the haughtiest of Nobles or most depraved Warlord could ignore the pressing weight of their own mortality. Nemir knew that she wasn't alone. Not in her nervous, circular thinking. But the notion kept her no better company than the others that preceded it, and fear as often, overruled everything else.

Nemir tried to keep herself as occupied as she was able while she waited. Ghan, for reasons she couldn't fathom, had been supplied his own set of robes. Perhaps as a matter of conduct and tradition. She doubted the Hyena had the presence of mind to even understand what was going on. They'd left one large building to walk through the woods and enter a different building. As far as he knew it wasn't even a different building at all. It didn't matter to him, all of his friends were there.

Nemir wished that she were so simple. A mind utterly devoid of any considerations save for her next meal, and when she might receive the order to tear some poor sinner's throat out. She envied Ghan's freedom from the thoughts that plagued her. The Hyena had not a care in the world as she wrestled him into his robes. To him it was all a grand game, lucky fool that he was.

She'd only just finished getting Ghan dressed when the Apostle called for her. It was time. Nemir kept her composure as she was lead deeper into the Temple to where the King, and The Goddess awaited her. Cold, stern, and unyielding. Nemir had been called these things. Had become these things. And she exuded the air of one who's faith was unshakable. And of a woman sure of her place within the gaze of the Gods. Her fear, though it bitterly kept hold of her and filled her chest with cold dread, was kept locked away deep within. It mattered not. Before Kasai's eternal flame, all would be illuminated.

Even the wretched embrace of fear could not keep back the awe blooming in her chest at the sight marble tapestry that stretched at her feet as she finally set foot into the Sanctum. A veritable field of color filled her sight, and Nemir knew instantly the tale laid out before her.

The making of the world. That time so long past in the annals of history that its scope was utterly lost on her. Who among them did not know of it? In a time before it ever was, did Kasai first light the forge of Creation. And in that time after did all things follow.

So lost was she in her spiritual musings that Nemin nearly missed Arvin's gentle instructions. His voice was almost lost within the grand scale of the Sanctum. If by his own choosing out of reverence, or another, greater power, she could not say. A massive statue in the likeness of the Goddess loomed over them all. In outstretched palm she held aloft the most sacred of flames. It would burn eternal. Long after the flames that lit their souls had burned out.

Nemir gazed downward, eyeing the image at the sun painted onto the polished floor. She stepped forward, just toeing the crimson edge of the image. She gave Ghan a cursory look and instructed him to sit and wait. It would have been enough under normal circumstances, but things were far from normal. Nemir crouched down to look The Hyena in the eye and jabbed a finger at his muzzle.

"Do not ruin this for us." she said gravely, only to receive a walleyed stare in return.

Secure in the knowledge that Ghan would behave himself, Nemir knelt as Arvin instructed. It was any easy thing to do. The pose of supplication before the Gods came as second nature to the Judicator. It was familiar. Reassuring. In prayer there was nothing left for her to consider. The world faded from sight, from sound. Nemir waited and the Goddess spoke.

The warmth that her voice exuded was indescribable and yet so painfully familiar that it bordered on melancholy. Nemir was for an instant sent reeling back to her own childhood. The warmest breeze of a summer afternoon promising limitless possibilities to a knobby kneed girl with too much spare time on her hands. It was innocence, it was freedom. It was but the smallest taste of a happiness that she hadn't known in decades. Nemir clung desperately to that voice in the dark. So much Kinder than the voice in her dreams. A voice of bitter cold, and dread tidings. The voice of the Goddess held no lies in it. It did not taunt her for her ignorance the way that the others did.

Kasai offered on by that which Nemir needed. The Judicator was ever a woman of simple sensibilities. All the world and whatever lay beyond could be offered to her, but what good was it then? To know every truth was to commit oneself to an ignorance eternal. With everything known what was there left to learn?

Nemir only had one question. That which had plagued her for countless days, and innumerable sleepless nights.The proof of her shame and the burden of her existence. From the day that the sky grew black with Demons, and Orn was sent buckling to its knees, only a single thought had plagued her every waning moment.

"Goddess I have looked up on your works with my own two eyes. I have seen your beauty cast in the glow of sunrise. I have felt your fury in the scorching flames. I have been graced by your immeasurable kindness by the warmth of the hearth during the coldest nights of winter." Nemir began. Her voice even, but her heart thrumming so wildly that it threatened to burst from her chest.

"I know these things Goddess. But there is yet one thing I know not. When the skies became black, bearing the beating wings of the Void's spawn. When the rivers ran red with the blood of friend and foe. When the bodies lay so thick upon the ground I could stride upon them. I fought. I Killed. And I lived. I lived and they died. I lived as my fellow soldiers died around me." Nami r's voice trembled with exertion and she slumped forward where she was kneeling, seeming far more tired than she ever had.

"My King died, and I lived. It should not have been so, and yet it is. My blood unspilled. My soul still bound to the Mortal Realm while his goes far beyond. Goddess, I ask... Why? Why would I be made to suffer such shame? Have I angered you? Enough that I must bear the indignity of my failings until such a time you think I need to no longer? What good is one Judicator in the place of her King?"

1581896154505.png
~Sergio~​
Sergio had to admit he was a tad, nervous? Was that the right word to say? He was unsure what to do was the honest thing. He knew what to do in churches and temples, never what to do when you're before the actual fucking god. Mind the language. To be frank Sergio was not a religious person, he had seen the worst in people, he knows how dark humanity is. No God ever helps the poor or the sickly, the woman forced to sell their body just to feed their family. No god ever frees them and they die, alone in some ally way. No funeral, no send-off. No one comes thinks of them after they die. So, if gods were so powerful how come they didn't help those who needed it?

Maybe it was more of a personal grudge, all and all he just didn't care for any of them in particular. He knew how to act in churches and such for obvious reasons, but it was the same as a wolf pretending to be a sheep in those cases. Sergio let out a sigh at the king's 'orders' of what to do and not to do. This seemed so meticulous, why must the god's be so picky? They are so much harder to please then some nobles. Not all, but most.

Sergio still listened to Arvin though, he knew more about this than himself, a first for everything he supposes, but still, he was in unfamiliar territory. At the promise of knowledge, Sergio felt himself let out some of the tension that was being held inside his body. This was something he could work with, something that he had done for a long time now. But the price of having to answer something from her honestly made him a little uneasy. She may not be a noble or someone he was doing business with, but he still did not like having to promise that he would answer any question she had honestly. Sadly he knew he had little choice in the matter. This was the fate he signed himself up for when he agreed to help out Arvin in exchange for those juicy royal secrets. He felt himself internally smirk at the reminder of those.

As he thought of his question a voice in the dark called to him. The promise for all knowledge. He almost felt himself laugh at the offer. No one knew everything even if they were some sort of god. The future lies in the sands of change. No one could ever know everything because at one time there is never anything. There is always more knowledge, this darkness could never know everything. Plus everyone in their right minds knows that nothing comes totally free.

He listened to the others speak, thinking deeply about his question. What does he want to know? He could ask a question about anything, but what should he dare question? The plans of the demons? The reason things are the way they are? The reason he likes m-. No, not that one. There were so many options but what should he chose. Clearing his throat Sergio spoke up, "My question is simple really. What motives drive the demons? Are they fired by lust for blood? Or is there a reason they are doing what they are doing?"

“Aurin Elliot...”

“Surely by now you have realized your place at the King’s side, as a true champion in combat. Thus you were chosen to raise forth the armies of Örn to prepare for conflict with the Voids Spawn...”

“Just as you have been preparing for war, so to have we...”

“Myself and my fellow Gods, ever since our time of creating this beautiful earth to instill life in this depressing darkness, have been working effortlessly to meet the Void personified as they continue to struggle against what we have created...”

"The Void..."

"The Time is short for its arrival..."

"For with every passing day, it continues to manifest..."

As Kasai continued to speak, Aurin would be shown a brief vision. A horrific visage of shadow and death incarnate.
511FAB7F-3AF0-4E89-97B5-A94CDFD9BEBE.jpeg

“For centuries we have fought them, and they continue to wreak havoc amongst us while our children on earth combat their own threats...”

“We have been in this fight just as long as humanity itself, and will continue to fight even until the bitter end...”

“Our strength will be lent to you, Aurin...”

“Our blessings, made your own...”

“Though we cannot fight along side you in the mortal realm, know that we will do everything within our power to preserve and protect every last soul upon the earths surface...”

“Remember this, and doubt not...”

There was a brief pause.

“Tell me Aurin...”

“Even now do you believe your name is still stained with the blood of one whom you did not love? Do you believe yourself to have escaped the shadows of your past? Or do you still feel that you owe something more to fate, as a means of redemption?”
ItsKenAgain ItsKenAgain

—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—

"Gabrielle Heartsong..."

"You question the fate of your King, wondering if you shall have influence over death as a means of saving him from the Voids grasp..."

"Given you were not afforded then opportunity with the late King Kungen, you now hold yourself somewhat accountable for his death..."

"And now seek a means of redemption through sparing Arvin's own life..."

"Am I incorrect in saying such things...?"

"Let it be known, Arvin's fate is not your own, nor is it yours to control..."

"He is fully prepared to fight and die as a means saving his people, you of all people understand this..."

"However, having been placed as one of the righteous individuals brought into his Pantheon, it can be said for certainty you will be right by his side through every single battle he will encounter in the days to come..."

"With your knowledge and ability..."

"Death can be set at bay, and your King's life spared..."

"Even if only for a few days longer..."

There was a brief pause.

"Tell me, Crow..."

"Why do your choose to hide your face from this world? Not only in body, but in name as well?"
The True Plague The True Plague
—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—

"Aurelia Luxenri..."

"This vicious wheel of suffering, and fate..."

"Know that it is not something that you as a mortal are alone in wishing to break..."

"This conflict with the Void and it's abominations, it is not just your fight..."

"We too, as Gods, look for a means to an end of destroying this cycle of death..."

"However, such a feat would require the Voids very destruction. For as long as it exists, so too shall its ability to create abominations to be sent forth to destroy you..."

"The Time is short, and we fear that soon a mass
cataclysm shall be made known upon humanity. One that offers only two results..."

"Humanities eternal prosperity..."

"Or utter and violent end..."

There was a brief pause.

"You question if your King, the chosen prophet of our holy order, is enough to aid in breaking this cycle..."

"Yet the question should be..."

"Is he enough for you? Do you believe him to be capable of fulfilling destiny, and saving his people from the Voids grasp for time and all eternity...?"

"For it was only through the faith of humanity long past that allowed the Kings of old to be successful in their own endeavors..."

"So where is it that your own heart stands...?"
Juju Juju

—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—

"Nemir Cesti..."

"There exists no anger or contempt against your soul..."

"Rather, great favor exists in us for the life of hardship and fierce battles that you have endured, as a means of serving not only your King but our holy order as well..."

"Terran sees limitless potential within you, and so it is that you truly are chosen of us to be one of the many champions standing before me today..."

"The Demons arrival upon the earth, The fall of Örn's once great Army, and the death of Kungen..."

"The fault of that day is not yours, but ours..."

"We failed to warn you of that fateful day, we failed to prepare you for the unholy creatures the Void would set loose upon this earths surface..."

"And so it was that so many of our children would perish in the inferno..."

"But you survived, not that you might not suffer, but that you may carry that vibrant flame of passion. The heartache of losing so many that you thought of as your brothers and sisters of arm, we allowed it to be upon you that you might
inspire and drive a new generation of warriors to prepare themselves to avenge their fallen predecessors..."

"You were spared, so that the heart of Örn's fight in this world might live..."

"Rest assured, the time will come when they shall be avenged, and your heart may finally be at rest. Content with the fulfillment of this age old fight against the Void..."

"This I swear to you..."

There was a brief pause.

"Tell me, Oh Judicator of Örn..."

"Do your believe, and understand the truth that yourself and your fellow members of this Pantheon bear equal importance to that of the King? That you all function not as pawns, but as pieces to the puzzle of solving this great conflict once and for all?"
Ramjammer Ramjammer

—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—

"Sergio Acre Yarrow De Iuliis..."

"I must say, it is surprising to find a question from someone so desirous towards knowledge to be so simple..."

"You seek to understand the motives of a Demon..."

"To understand their hellbent rage to hunt and destroy every last instance of life upon this earth..."

"The answer to this, is far more complicated than most would assume..."

"While bloodlust and an animalistic intent to hunt is easy to assume, it is not the case..."

"They fight for the same reason humanity does, for their own survival..."

"Survival from the same threat, The Void..."

"Each fledgling crafted from unholy flesh is born with an understanding that if they do not fight, they themselves will be erased from existence..."

"For what better way to get an animal to fate, than out of pure fear?"

"There is a desire to live, yes, for they have been promised to inhabit this earth after the Voids victory over it..."

"But that is nothing more than a farce to engage more desire from them..."

"You understand as well as I that once this conflict is over, and humanity is erased..."

"So to will the Demons be wiped from the face of existence..."

There was a brief pause.

"Tell me Sergio..."

"Do you demonstrate the same will to fight that a Demon does? When this world goes to hell and you are met with a final Cataclysm that will decide not only your fate, but the fate of all humanity..."

"What will you be prepared to do?"
seasonedcat seasonedcat

—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—.—

Few times had Aurin’s heart beat this quickly in his chest. His hands were clasped close to his body to hide anticipation, yet his fingers still grew cold between each other. No matter the answer, the price of knowledge was living with having it. This is what generally kept the Knight from dabbling too much in the art of such things. Great knowledge could be a terrible burden, like a plague of the mind, it could consume one. Then again, so could the worries that kept one at battle with themselves in the wake of ignorance. The struggle that was to come here would be making himself satisfied with whatever Kasai granted him to know.

As soon as she began her answer, Aurin could already feel himself at conflict. Surely by now he should’ve accepted his place, shouldn’t he? Hearing straight from one of The Four that he had been chosen not put where he was by accident, that should have been all the answer he could have needed to settle his fears. So why wasn’t it? Embarrassment at this transformed itself into heat which rose to his face, and he bowed his head away from the flame. Could hiding his shame from its light hide it from himself? No. It couldn’t. That was the problem, really.

He was comfortable when he could be proud, and he had been for a long time. Pride was something he could wear like a shining piece of armor. Pride had to be earned through, or else you were just making an ass out of yourself. Painting silver over a clay chestpiece. It might pass at a glance if you were careful and convincing enough but take a stab at it, or even bend it the wrong way, and it would crumble, leaving you exposed and vulnerable.

A lesson in humility would be a hard one, so the other option is a question of worth which sits at the bottom of a pit of shame. You start there and crawl up the sides, but make one wrong move, have one doubt in your footing, and you could slip and fall back down without an answer. You can start to feel like you should just stay there, because you’ll be punished for trying to climb out. Or, you can keep trying, no matter the cost. And certainly, with the warning coming from Kasai, there was no option other than to continue fighting.

She reassured him that the Four had always been at war with the Void, for as long as humanity existed and they had never fought alone. That was genuinely nice to hear. There was certainly less pressure when you could assume you and your Gods were on the same side, and your existence wasn’t some kind of test, or game. However, that didn’t do anything to lessen the threat that came for them, and Kasai made sure Aurin was warned of this. The Void was arriving closer and closer every day. There would soon be a war unlike any that had been seen on Orn before as the Void grew to reveal its fullest form.

The warmth of the Goddess’s flames began to fade away, surrounding the Knight with darkness, like a well filled with ink. He lifted his head to search through it, but did so blindly, as there was nothing... Until there was.

“What… is…?”

The carnal form that entered his mind’s eye came forth from the darkness, with tendrils and tentacles wet with viscera and grasping wildly to drag in whatever they could reach. Clawed hands, slicked black like tar and oil carried this personification of death. This hellish vision of it would only consume its victims and bring them to a fate of damnation and suffering. It’s skeletal jaw mawed as if in anguish, with insatiable starvation. Howling for its next prey, never to be content, and not one to be escaped, or reasoned with.

Aurin’s hands fell away from him, shaking in front of him as he witnessed this. When the image persisted panic grew inside him and he tried frantically to push his hair away from his face to see clearly anything other than this monstrosity. This failing he covered his eyes, palm’s heels pressing into them, but his sight wasn’t the source of this nightmare. Kasai was showing him the horrors the Quadrinity kept at bay all this time, a fate they were all fighting against. As she continued to speak, eventually the terrible archetype faded and the flame returned.

She made promises of strength, of blessing, and protection. Aurin tried to let these words calm him after what he’d been shown, but this vision wouldn’t be easily forgotten. It made the dread of what they were soon to face all the stronger, knowing what fate would be if they failed. There was a pause as he tried to collect himself, but then the Goddess would speak again.

“Tell me Aurin…” Ah, yes. An answer for an answer, that was the deal. And her question? “Even now do you believe your name is still stained with the blood of one whom you did not love? Do you believe yourself to have escaped the shadows of your past? Or do you still feel that you owe something more to fate, as a means of redemption?”

“How could I not?” He began, a sigh filling the space as he searched for his next words. His brows pulled together, something like pain crossing his face as he dug into old wounds to find answers for Kasai. Perhaps honesty was sometimes akin to an animal gnawing off its own limb to escape a snare. Painful, self-destructive, coming with great loss and no chance of being the same as you were before. However, stay in the snare, and you’ll never be free.

“I don’t regret not loving her. I was never meant to love her the way they wanted me to. But my purpose, my life was to protect the Irvailde family. Half of my years I trained for them, served them, and defended them. Even if it meant risking death for little more than petty squabbles between houses, or staving off bandits on the road. I knew little of anything else. I wanted nothing more, because as it was I was the best at what I was meant to do. But when we faced a true threat, when the Void came for us, I showed nothing of it. I let myself be complacent enough to follow the desires of men, rather than answering any call from the Four. My skills were wasted. After that I had nothing left to offer that could make it right.”

He thought further, weighing his journey in his mind but finding malice and doubt grasping him. Aurin felt his throat burning. He wished to hold these secrets to himself, as he had been. Keeping that armor from cracking. Yet, he would be a fool to imagine himself being anything but exposed to the Goddess. His true fear was speaking these thoughts into reality, for then he could no longer pretend they weren’t real. How strong a warrior…

Aurin thought of that voracious creature in the vision. There were much greater, much more meaningful battles to face than his own. This. This threat was one worth fearing. His insecurities, his personal discrepancies, they would only hold him back while he lived. No fear, no desire, no amount of denial could escape the grasp of that being he’d seen. If that’s what they were to overcome, he would have to be much braver.

“I’ve escaped nothing.” He answered with conviction. The flame danced in his eyes as he finally dared to hold face to it, unbreaking. “I’ve been running, I’m still running, and many days that’s the reason I see for me being here. How far can I go to make up for failing the purpose I held before this? How can I feel right accepting this role when it came to me by such means? But if I stop now, if I quit running, I fail again. Whatever fate awaits me in serving this new purpose is one I must face, yet I fear I do not have the means to give enough to repay for my losses.”

Siren77 Siren77

There was few things that really dug into Crow as much as that name. That damnable name. The only thing that kept him from standing up and walking towards wherever that dark voice right then and there... Was that he couldn't get mad. It was one thing to get pissed when the King addressed him by his name. He's known the King for a bit, and Arvin is aware that Crow hates it. Using it, whilst berating him, was the closest Arvin would get to Crow getting genuinely furious with him, such as what happened at the party.

When Kasai did it though, Crow knew he couldn't just yell at literally a Goddess. Crow, shockingly, wasn't fucking stupid. He was just usually apathetic to the title that others have. However, the term Goddess has at least some respect to him still. Barely, but yes. He knew getting angry would not aid him here. In fact, Kasai might even know that she's poked the one thing he hated to think of. Put it out of mind. Never acknowledge this particular Goddess again after today. Kasai is dead to him for making him answer that question.

Her answer to his question was... Unsatisfying. He wasn't looking for his issues to be told back to him. He knew he blamed himself for Kungen's death, even if it was unreasonable. He can't just put it out of mind that maybe, if he had been allowed on the field of battle with Kungen, maybe something would've been different. Reasonably not, but still. Furthermore, reminding him that Arvin is willing to fight and die for his kingdom? Seriously? Sometimes. Just sometimes, Crow wonders if the Gods truly do hate him. All he can hold onto is that he may be able to keep the King up for a few more days longer, some day.

Now though, was the question from Kasai. That. Fucking. Question. You know the one.

"Tell me, Crow..."

"Why do your choose to hide your face from this world? Not only in body
, but in name as well?"

"... So much for the belief that the divine hold all knowledge." He may be less hateful in tone, but his wording wouldn't change. Just because he has to accept that she used his real name, doesn't mean he'll be able to hold back some spite. He just isn't going to have a full on shouting match with the divine. "You wish to know why I've distanced myself from the name of Gabriele Heartsong? Why I hide away behind my robes and mask?"

"It's complicated... Or I like to think so. I've decided to go by Crow, to distance myself from the name of Gabrielle Heartsong. The name of a criminal orphan, whose life has been nothing but survival. That is not the name one should have associated with royalty... Even if that plan fell through. Never the less, it helps me keep the two separate. So long as work needs to be done, the Crow shall be there. Working amongst the dead and dying. Hovering over them like a carrion bird."

"The mask is meant to represent there is more than is known. That they know the doctor, not the man. It also keeps my expression to myself. Given how little I care for some of my patients, it is necessary. They may feel the burning hatred of my gaze, but they can't call me out because they can't see it. Play the part of a caring doctor after all."

"The robes? Serve both defense against physical attacks... And emotional ones as well. Appearing larger, and less human serves me well enough. Very few actively challenge me in conversation, and more than a few are admittedly and unadmittedly terrified. That... Is fine by me. It gives me less reason to interact with those snakes in the grass. What I do, Kasai, is a necessary evil. To hide myself away, in service of my only calling."

Siren77 Siren77

When she finally found herself staring into the face of a God, it was all too easy for Nemir to remain silent.

It wasn't truly Kasai's face, Nemir knew this, stricken dumb as she was. Instead, there before her burned a gout of Holy Fire. So pure and brilliant was the sacred flame that she was nearly blinded by its glow. That was just as well in her opinion. The stories of being blinded if one saw the true face of the Gods, surely held some truth to them. Nemir could not recall a more beautiful sight in her long years of living. And there in her chest suddenly resided a mournful weight at the realization that she'd never see anything even a fraction as beautiful after.

She dared not to speak out of turn. Her self-imposed muteness went far beyond mere courtesy.To deny Kasai the space that she chose to fill with her words would be a blasphemy inconcievable. It was better to remain silent. It was easier.

And even if Nemir had possessed to speak out of turn before Kasai, she'd have not been able to find the breath to do so, having it stolen from her before the Goddess of Flame's glory.

That sanctified flame glimmering in the dark did for more than fill her vision with endless light. The roar that it exuded was loud enough to deafen her. A crackling and tremendous inferno that filled what space hadn't been touched by Kasai's light. Nemir found the breath stolen from her lungs, all available oxygen taken to feed the Eternal Flame before her. And yet she did not find herself suffocating. There was nothing else but her, the flame, and Kasai's wisdom. She needed little else.

The words of the Goddess were not really words, At least, not the kind a Human ear could sort out. The roar of the flame merely filled the silence and understanding dawned on Nemir.

It was a slow kind of understanding. The kind one often found while staring blankly into a campfire or hearth. The dancing frames before her eyes seemed to hypnotize, allowing considerations both profound and mundane to meander through her skull. How often in her life had she come to realizations this way? Sitting in the dark wilderness with nothing but a humble campfire to keep away the cold and her rambling thoughts to fill the empty space left over.

That small and timid understanding warmed her more than any fire could in the end. It did not dispel all of her fears. Much in the way that a simple campfire could not keep away the biting chill of a blizzard forever. The flame of enlightenment needed to be fed constantly to retain its light. But it also needed to be protected from outside influence that would seek to snuff it out. A foundation had been laid, and it was now up to Nemir to build upon it.

'To carry the Flame. To inspire?' The Judicator thought dumbly.

To say that idea filled her with trepidation was a profound understatement. Over the course of her life Nemir had grown used to operating alone. Even living in the same house with her father had been an overwhelmingly lonely experience. Whenever she did bother to side with anyone Nemir preferred to take orders from another. If not from a mortal, then from on high.

'I've always been this way.' She thought bitterly. 'Leaving my fate in someone else's hands.'

Nemir did not have to speak her thoughts for Kasai to truly know them. The passing over of responsibility for her own life had been a habit the Judicator had become too entrenched in. It was easy to let existence merely happen to her. It was easy to wait for death. She would point to any number of reasons for where she was if it meant she'd never have to say that she chose it for herself.

The will of the Gods. Kungen. And now Arvin. Nemir Kknew that she'd merely become a spectator to her own existence. She'd known it for a long time.

And naturally Kasai knew it too, because she granted the Judicator another understanding, a question that she could not avoid. Not here. Not ever.

"I-I'd like to believe that I do." She said in an uncommonly timid manner. She knew that it was true innately. The Pantheon were no more Pawns in this game than anyone else. At the very least Arvin lacked the capacity for such things. Moving and discarding his companions like pieces on a game board was simply not in the young King's nature.

And yet despite this. Despite that she would constantly assure herself that these things were not so, there resided in Nemir a small bit of resentment.

'I'm a damn Judicator. Yet here I am playing the role of a fretful Wet Nurse,' She seethed internally. The King was far from petulant or irresponsible. But his trademark stubbornness had since lost its charm. Towing around a gaggle of bickering Nobles wasn't exactly the grand fate that she'd imagined for herself either. And Crow's propensity for instigating at any given moment had grown tiresome. It was clear to Nemir then, that merely allowing life to flow along without her input would do irreparable harm not only to herself, but to those around her. Gods only knew what would happen if she just sat on her hands and watched idly while the rest of the Pantheon took aim at each other. Their squabbles were small, and did no harm presently, but the Judicator knew how quickly that sort of nagging could breed resentment. It wasn't a matter of if in her eyes, but when.

"I suppose I'd better start acting like it then, hadn't I?" She replied evenly.

Nemir wasn't quite sure what was to come next, and frankly she was afraid to ask. The Judicator presumed that Kasai would simply expel her from her presence when all was said and done, and so prepared herself for such an eventuality.

Ghan, who'd she'd forgotten all about, seemed to have other plans.

Without any prompting the Hyena began to bark his head off. Nemir froze. stricken by both fear and confusion. He was an animal, and so could probably be forgiven for his lack of decorum. But as his owner Nemr feared that she might earn disfavor for not keeping the beast under control.

She wanted to reach out and stop Ghan, but she stopped herself. The Hyena's banks were of the loud and very insistent kind. The kind he made whenever he desperately needed Nemir's attention. He barked unceasingly at the Eternal Flame and the Judicator was suddenly left to wonder just how much Ghan really understood.

'Is he aware of the Goddess?' she mused, her brow furrowed in deep confusion. 'But how could that even be?'

Aurelia cast her eyes downward, to the stone etched in twitching shadow. Of course, she knew the stories well. As a child she had practically worshiped them, befriending the characters of long-dead heroes and kings. Still, It was all rather childish, to think that heroes could win if you just believed enough. Was it really true this whole time, or was the goddess mocking her in some way? Unlikely, but could a little faith actually do anything?

The goddess' question took her a little by surprise. Where did her heart lay? Aurelia blinked, pausing as she thought carefully over her next words. Her mother taught her to lock up her heart, her father taught her to kill it, books taught her to give it away and her brother taught her the error of such naive thinking. Now this goddess asked where her heart lie? How strange it was, for Aurelia to have no idea where it had gone. For anyone else the answer was her family, but you couldn't lie to a goddess of flame.

"I had a brother who believed in Kungen so earnestly that he forsook all titles and inheritances just to answer the call of battle. He believed with all his heart that his king could fight back the demonic scourge and usher in a new age of peace. He was such a dreamer..." Aurelia exhaled a drawn-out sigh. Of course, she was mostly to blame for that. It was she who introduced him to scripture after scripture of heroic saga and poem. He held onto those tales, even after Aurelia had long given up the belief that life could be like those songs. "After the invasion, they couldn't find much of him. It took days for the Luxenri soldiers to find him, and almost a week to get his broken little mess home. He was disowned, did you know that? My lord father did not even attend the funeral of some 'boy playing hero'.

Aurelia's pretty face was lined in a frown, her icy eyes melting in the corners, "So you see, Kasai, I'm not quite sure if belief will make a difference."

Her fingers went to her arm, rubbing the pinkish scars through the fabric of her sleeve. The demons had taken them by surprise, but none of the fledglings could compare to the terror that was the Baalgar. Just recalling that day made even Kasai's eternal flame feel distant and dim. In all of her life she had never been more afraid, but in that memory of smoke and blood there was also the silhouette of Arvin and the cambion. She could still smell the blood, see the charred flesh of his back.

"Yet... If there is any chance that Arvin... that we can destroy this void, then what right do I have to give up? My brother believed in Kungen, died for him. If he could do that then perhaps the least I can do is believe in the king's son." She replied finally, a faint pink collecting on her face. Saying those words felt so foolish, yet frightfully liberating. What came next was terrifying, but for once she felt like she was going in one single direction.

Aurelia felt faint, weightless...

and then completely embarrassed when Ghan's unexpected bark caused her to flinch and let out an alarmed 'eep'. In front of the goddess. That brainless mutt! Damn him! Aurelia felt her chest swell with anger, but she politely bit her tongue.

1584411461337.png
~Sergio Acre Yarrow De Iuliis~​
Sergio raised a surprised eyebrow at the comment of the goddess. His entire life was learning the secrets of people and using them to his advantage. The motives of one in power were always one of the best things to learn to know where to look next but also to be able to get into their head. Learning the motives of the demons could not only give him somewhere to stand after this whole thing sent him off the side and hanging on by the tips of his fingers. How could he be in control if no one had any information on them? His only power was information and he found himself severely lacking in this department when it came to the demons. He knew little more than the others. That was one of the worst feelings for him.

At the goddess's question, Sergio was taken off guard for a brief moment before fixing himself. Here he had the option of the right answer or the truth. He knew he had to tell the truth, though his entire job was built around lies. He let out a sigh, running his hand through his hair as he thought. Even as he tossed his hair it returned to the perfect position it sat in. Yes, the gods made him the beautiful and no amount of stress was going to damage that.

Scratching the side of his face he spoke, "I am sure since you are a goddess you know about my work. I am used to lies though here I am with no choice but to tell the truth. I do find this quite a predicament," he let out a soft sigh once again, "Though for the promised exchange of knowledge I will grant you this moment of truth from myself. I was going to say you should be honoured, but you yourself are a god and I doubt you are honoured by the gifts of men."

"To answer your question, no. I do not have the will to fight that these demons possess. They clearly are ready to die for their cause, though I doubt I would be able to bring my self to honestly say I could do that myself. Nor do I know myself what I would be willing to give up to save everything. I would like to say I am a good enough person and give you the blurb that I am willing to bleed out to save everything, but I am not. I collect knowledge to ruin people's lives. I thrive in situations where I am above people. I can't even fight for myself, how can I save everything when I can't even save myself if someone came at me."

Sergio felt a wave of depression hit him at these thoughts. His emotions bleeding away and leaving him with a feeling of emptiness. He was among the supposed bunch that was going to save the world though he knew that he was not here for anything more than to be a background character. Here to provide information to them but not to be remembered by the world. So why did he find himself standing before a god? Why is he here? Should he not be back at the capital while they steal the show? They were ready to die for this, maybe not Aurelia, and all he could say in this is that he would prefer to be safe. He always plays it safe. He doesn't let others get secrets on him. He doesn't fit this group. "Is this all you need my goddess." he gave her a numb bow, feeling static at the tips of his fingers. When had it begun to hurt so much when he felt nothing?
Siren77 Siren77

“Yet again your conviction proves most prominent, Aurin Elliot...”

“While it is not up to me, nor my fellow icons of divinity, what it is you still owe to this life to consider your sins of the past repaid...”

“Understand that you possess a potential and worth far greater than any fault ever witnessed in your life...”

“Rest assured, whatever fulfillment you seek to make your wrongs right will be found...”

“For in the coming days your mettle as a teacher and as a warrior will be tested in the most valiant of means...”

“Do not lose your faith, do not lose your hope, do not doubt your place in this, and do not forget the things that you have witnessed this day...”

“As not only will your skills in combat be of use to the cause of your people. Your testimony, perception of faith, and influence upon the your people will be of greater value than all else...”

“Lead by example, purge all doubts that are within your jurisdiction, and serve your King to the very end. Only then will your suffering be at its end. Only then will you find peace...”

“We are counting on your Aurin, and just as you have faith in our work, so too do we have faith in you...”

“Keep running, oh brave Knight, and fail not.”

There was a pause, giving ample time for Aurin to collect his thoughts before the Goddess would speak again.

“Behold, the Prophet speaks. Hear him.”

ItsKenAgain ItsKenAgain
——————————

“Stay your Anger, good Doctor...”

“You let your carnal emotions cloud your mind, and allow you to forget who it is in this conflict that your rage should be directed against...”

“While you aid and fight for your Kings cause, you deliberately go to cause contention amongst his Pantheon, with those whom you deem deserving of hatred...”

“These actions alone can have far greater repercussions than you even dare to understand...”

“While the nobles do cause much of the instigation of doubt, and resentment towards the new King, they are still a part of the people you have promised to serve as a member of your King’s Pantheon...”

“I need not lecture you on these things, nor should I address the obvious heresy in contending your pitiful emotions against those you are meant to serve. Divine or otherwise...”

“Though you have not deliberately shared these emotions with me, rest assured I am aware of them.”

“The Divine do hold all knowledge, these questions I ask of you and your companions are not for mine own betterment. They are for yours...”

“I look not to belittle or mock you. I am not your enemy, Authon. Neither are those of noble heritage who work in the King’s favor, and even still those who do no can still be reconciled to the path of righteousness...”

“But it requires you to be above petty squabbles and misleading emotions that the Void shall surely use to lead you astray...”

“Be an example unto others of what faith brings. Let your kindness and work of good shine and lead them towards the light. Many doubt and fear you yes, but that can be change so long as you are willing...”

“Remember what you have witnessed this day, and let your testimony guide others. Purge all doubts within the confines of your influence, and all will be made well...”

“The Four are aware of you. We support you, and have faith in your ability to serve and aid in saving this world. Remember this, and keep to the faith.”

There was a pause, giving ample time for Crow to collect his thoughts before the Goddess would speak again.

The True Plague The True Plague
———————

“I understand that the works of your companions are tiresome. Their faults often outweigh the works they enact in support of the same cause in which you fight for...”

“But patience must be had for those who lack the same disciple you have earned over years of service...”

“It goes without saying that all members of this, the holy pantheon of our order, bear their own traits of fault. For you are human, to expect perfection is impossible...”

“So I ask you to act not as a doting mother, rather a guiding hand to provide aid for their betterment...”

“It’s difficult to mesh and to work as one, but without an attempt on all counts to improve, it cannot be done...”

“Be an example to them, lead by your actions and words, and they’ll eventually come around. It just takes some time...”

“All will make their adjustments, to set aside their personal grudges and contentions for the betterment of humanity...”

“When I say all, I speak not just of Pantheon, but all of Örn. They will look to you in the coming times of grief for help. So I ask you, do not hide your kindness from them. Remember what you have witnessed this day, and use your testimony as a tool to lead them all...”

“Doubt has plagued the Kingdom, and grave consequences are to follow swiftly if they are not rectified...”

“Stay true to your faith Nemir, and remember that we as a holy order are in support of your work. We have faith in you, and will continue to bless in advocation of all you do. Remember this, and doubt not.”

There was a pause, giving ample time for Nemir to collect her thoughts before the Goddess would speak again.

Ramjammer Ramjammer
————————

“This age old conflict with the Void has not been kind to any of your people...”

“All have suffered, and witnessed horrors irreparable to their souls well being...”

“Bonds have been torn, by those lacking in faith against those persisting and thriving in it. Your brother was not the first, and he will not be the last. I assure you that he posed no regrets over his sacrifice of status, but your father will regret for an eternity forsaking his son. He was not playing hero, he was being an example, one that all would be wise to follow...”

“Status, money, power. It’s all superfluous. For these things cannot last, as you may come to understand...”

“But Faith, Hope, and Dreams. Those are Eternal, those are what life forever with ones soul, as they sacrifice all for the betterment of the world. And those are what will make the difference between Humanities salvation, and the Voids crusade against this earth being realized...”

“So do not give up Aurelia, do not let the Dream and the Faith upon which your brother built a foundation for Hope perish...”

“Instead, take that same passion and thrive in it...”

“Faith can go a long way, and can compensate in a matter of life and death...”

“Though it be difficult at times, don’t let it fail. In the coming days you will be looked to as an example of how to act, and how to rely on faith. Remember what you have witnessed this day, the promises made to you, and let them motivate that faith...”

“Faith will be compensated Aurelia. We as Gods have great faith in your ability to act and fight for what is right, and we believe in you. And we know that faith lingers in your heart, you just need only let it grow to receive the blessings in it.”

“Let your faith grow, and hide your heart no longer. Let it be free, and doubt no longer.”

There was a pause, giving ample time for Aurelia to collect her thoughts before the Goddess would speak again.

Juju Juju
———————
“Sacrifice can be a difficult task...”

“We have nurtured humanity to cling to their work and strive to get gain as a means of productivity and aiding their fellow man...”

“Yet as the ages went on, families rose to power through monopolizing their resources and growing in such an exponential way as a means of gaining power...”

“Some used it for good, others their own self interest. But these families, these groups of people that consider themselves above their common brethren, are soon to realize that these items they hold in greater esteem than that of their Gods are temporal and will quickly be forgotten just as they will...”

“Greed has poisoned men’s souls, and thus traditions of holding on to material things has spread through generations...”

“These things are not of your fault alone, rather the influence of those around you...”

“Where your fault comes into play is the refusal to change, and to believe that you possess the potential to be better than these petty habits that your forefathers have adopted...”

“Desire Faith, over gold. Hope, over misused knowledge...”

“In the coming days, you may find it best to seek after these changes...”

“There is faith in you, but it is held back by the lack thereof in yourself...”

“Do not let the false teachings of your ancestors bind you. Let your soul be free, and seek to be strong in the face of adversity. Learn to be Kind, Learn to be of Service, and Learn to Fight...”

“These types of more useful knowledge will better your life in ways unimaginable...”

“This I promise you, and this ask you to share with those that bear similar problems in this life. Be an example to them. Show them the way. For in the coming days, Faith may very well be all that is left for you to cherish...”

“We as Gods have faith in you, Sergio. We know your potential and we anxiously await the day it might be realized. Remember what you have witnessed, and use it to better yourself and those around you. Do this, and your role in this fight against the Void will become far greater than it already is...”

“Do not let false wealth blind you...”

There was a pause, giving ample time for Sergio to collect his thoughts before the Goddess would speak again.

seasonedcat seasonedcat
——————-

Crow continued to simply focus on the words of the Goddess whom spoke to him, along with the rest of the Pantheon presumably. Wonder how that works. Some sort of telepathic bullshit, or was it simply perception from each individual's perspective? Not the point, but an interesting thought to consider later. Perhaps he could learn to speak telepathically. Should he be allowed to? Definitely not. Will he attempt it? Maybe. When he eventually has some free time. What was the point of this tangent? Simple. Staying his anger. Forcing emotion down to ensure he didn't do anything too regrettable. Like thought heresy.

So what is being said so far is that he's too emotional, and through causing strife amongst the Pantheon, he may be creating much bigger issues that he can't foresee... Why is it always that he's the one in the wrong? The noble brats cause just as much strife with him as he does with them, yet he only ever hears how he's the one in the wrong. It's unfair, and he demands better treatment. Furthermore, he disagrees. He only agreed to serve the King. His duty is thus, only to the Throne, and those who are, by extension, a part of it. Which is why he grudgingly will prioritize any member of the Pantheon over other patients, besides Arvin himself. King shall always be top priority for the doctor. Though... Fair point. He's not really serving that well if he's putting his own feelings in direct contrast with what his masters demand of him. However, they knew the rebellious nature of the Doctor, and still accepted him. A little bit of pushback at times was surely expected, regardless of divine status.

Well fuck. Apparently his thought heresy was in fact known. Though does it count as heresy if not acted on? Is it just blasphemy then? He'd ask the more religious people, but he'd likely go 'missing' for the effort of pushing the issue, especially if he had to explain why he needed to split hairs and know the difference here. Also, he fucking hated that explanation. Oh, so you know, but question anyways? Sounds like a waste. Explain what you want to see them reflect on, instead of just asking a question. Leading or not, you risk them finding the wrong answer or convincing them of something that may or may not be tru-

Crow stiffened, the hairs on the back of his neck raising as he heard that name. A name kept so close to his chest that he'd not even given it to Arvin. Authon. A name that held a lot of weight to him, and one that he couldn't argue against. Arguably, more of a title than a name, but one nonetheless. War brother. Given to him as he served dutifully amongst the united forces under the old king. A name that held respect, and one he had distanced himself from to avoid dirtying it. When uttered by the Goddess, followed by instructions... He couldn't exactly find it in him to rebel. Couldn't rile himself up enough to actually deny it. For once, the rebellious spirit that burned eternally in his chest was outshone by a sheer sense of duty and honor.

Although Authon didn't have much faith in the divine, he had a feeling that wasn't the faith he was supposed to show. Although assured of their existence, Authon kept his faith in the mortal realm. So, instead, he'd be an example of what faith in the King could bring. An extension of what the Throne stood for, as a chosen member of the Pantheon. He'd even make an attempt at quashing the more... Volatile emotions that cause so much strife, though even Authon can't promise a full refrain from mischief on occasion. Just... Lighten it up a bit, and cease the merciless targeting.

The pondering and collecting of thoughts did eventually come to an end, and Crow returned mostly to the here and now, waiting to heed the words of the Prophet.

Siren77 Siren77

By the time the attention of the Pantheon was called to Arvin, they’d see him sprawled on all fours. Sweat was dripping from his brow, and his fists were clenched against the stone floor. Ragged breaths were all the could be heard from in the silence of the Inner Sanctum.

It took a brief amount of time, but The King slowly gathered himself from the floor, only rising to a kneeling position. Worried eyes glanced about, looking to his friends, obviously hesitant about what he had to say.

Finally, the King spoke.

“Örn... our Kingdom... is to burn.” Arvin ran a hand through his dampened hair, taking a few deep breaths before continuing. “Kasai has made it known unto me that The Four have dictated this fate as a means of punishment for the lack of faith our people harbor. Their doubts and plots against our work have brought about this predestined fate. And now all we can do is prepare for it.”

Looking back up towards them all with slowly regained confidence, The King feigned strength.

“The Month of July is midway through its season, and the Goddess Kasai has dictated that Örn shall burn at the eclipse of October. Just at the end of our harvest. She is giving us time to prepare, 3 1/2 months worth of scheming and stockpiling has been allowed to us. Not only this, but in that time we must begin warning our people of what is to come. They must understand that their resentment towards the Gods will bring about their ultimate end. There is still time. I have faith that we can save the majority of our people. But, even if not, at the very least we can still save those who’s faith has not perished.”

At last Arvin mustered the strength to stand, facing them all with a stoic expression on his face, but fear still hid behind his eyes.

“It will not be easy though. I have no doubts that the Void will work far more tirelessly than ever to sway our people’s heart from the salvation our Gods provide. He will have agents not only among the Demons, but among our own people as well. It is obvious I cannot do this alone.”

“My friends, my Pantheon. I need your help now more than ever. Not only this but I need your faith, and to dedication to this work, that we might preserve as many people from damnation as possible. I know I have already asked much from you all, and that this brings far more than what you all bargained for. But even still, as your King, I ask. Can I count on you all?”
Juju Juju seasonedcat seasonedcat Ramjammer Ramjammer The True Plague The True Plague ItsKenAgain ItsKenAgain

Crow waited patiently for the King to pull himself from the ground, suppressing the desire to go over there and make sure the sprawled out King wasn't injured in some way. He did not believe the Divine would do anything directly to harm Arvin, but he wouldn't rule it out. However, unless this was a big fuck you by Kasai, he was fairly certain he'd be the only one here in danger of divine smiting anytime soon. Once the King was on his knees, Crow relaxed a bit, and released a breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding. He waited patiently for the Prophet to speak.

Oh boy. The Divine have decided to smite indeed. It was just... Not the target he expected. The entire kingdom was to burn. His first thought was to start flooding the Kingdom just to spite the Gods. Fucking burn water you fucks. However, he was supposed to refrain from being a little shit to such a degree. The next step was debating the ethics of killing the entirety of the people harboring such doubts and plots and pleading for Divine forgiveness... But rooting out such bullshit would probably take longer than three months to do fully. How can they prepare then?

Maybe... Could they perhaps reach out to the other races to see if they could find refuge, presuming they themselves won't also be burnt to a crisp for lack of faith as well? He could always try talking to the elves, if he finds the time and gets permission to leave for such a journey. Start moving people out, and setting up stockpiles. It was worth a shot, probably.

When the King stood up, Crow tilted his head up to keep his eyes on the King's face. To most, they'd perhaps see the stoic face and hear his words, and imagine confidence, maybe even calm. Crow saw a scared child, doing what he must because nobody else could. Someone who needed help desperately, but had to show they were still in control as everything went off the rails. A drowning man crying for help. What kind of man would Authon be, if he were to deny to oblige?

"I have spent quite a bit of time in service to you, and your family Arvin. Bandaging your wounds, providing cures for you in sickness. All this time, without a single serious complaint about my service to you. I believe it only fair then, that I be the first to declare it. I shall continue to uphold the same agreement I made to your father, and by extension, to you now that you've taken his place. My place is where the King needs me to be. I shall help however I can, wherever you need me. You can count on me, my King." He took a deep bow, head brought leveled with his waist, and held it for a few seconds before rising again on his own. Barring Nemir, Crow was the oldest servant here, both in time spent serving, and in age. It'd be more shocking if he didn't wish to stand with him and work with him. Don't snicker you bloody walnut, he knows how to serve the King... He just usually chose not to because it usually wasn't serious if he chose to not.

Siren77 Siren77

“Örn... our Kingdom... is to burn.”

In that moment, that brief second where the young King's words hung in the air before fading away into the dark, Nemir was elsewhere.

She stood once more under ashen skies, blood lapping at her ankles as innumerable bodies floated lazily past. Her hands, clenched into fists, trembled violently as the revelation overtook her. Gone was the yawning dark of ignorance. Gone was Kasai's Eternal Flame, it's warming embrace sputtering out alongside it. The truth in it's entirety had been laid bare at their feet. A Prophet driven by the hungering want that only confusion could provide had led them towards illumination, and they'd thrown themselves willingly into the flames. There was no escape, not when the words had been uttered so plainly, so clearly. Their endeavor for knowledge had revealed a reality too painful for words.

As if it mattered in the end. The words of the Goddess ever moved of their own accord. By their leave or no, it was of no concern. All would be enlightened in the end. Their flesh stripped away, only to leave their souls howling before the fury of the Gods. It was a fate inescapable.

"The dreams were right."

It was a bitter and unwelcome thought. But it was the unfortunate truth she'd been burdened with. Nemir had no cause to deny the nightmares for what they were even prior to Kasai's final judgement. It was sensible, a byproduct of the world they lived in. The Demons and the Void had always been the probable culprit. They'd washed over the land before, devouring everything in sight and she'd been positive that they'd do so again.

In the end however, the sea of gore she stood in was of their own doing. The darkness overtaking the kingdom had worked a far subtler magic on the populace. One that cut deeper than any wound left by the jaws of a Demon. Despair and hopelessness reigned, and so too did a weakness of spirit. What use did the Gods have for a people that couldn't even muster the strength to pray?

That thing, whatever it had been was right. The vision faded, and yet the cold of its voice remained clear in her mind.

"The Wheel turns."

Nemir exhaled a long breath, one that she hadn't even known she was holding. There was only silence all around her, save for the ever present crackle of Kasai's flames, and Arvin's labored breathing.

The young King looked incredibly haggard, and weaker than she'd ever seen him. His burden had been utterly titanic before, but the truth of his prophecy had made it near impossible in scope. That one man would be forced to accept such a fate was an unapproachable concept. Arvin's apparent weakness did not stem from a lack of conviction, nor courage. He bore the look of a man who'd seen far too much, and would be forced to carry the weight of knowing in grim silence forevermore.

"He is far too young for this. At this rate, he'll end up like me." The Templar thought balefully.

She watched impassively as Arvin moved to stand, his movements sluggish. If it was from either his injuries or the responsibility bearing down on him, she could not say. Possibly the latter, but she apparently knew far less than she thought.

Ghan nudged gently at her hand with his nose, the sudden wetness startling her from her darkening thoughts. She smiled wanly and the Hyena whined as she scratched his head gently. "I know, friend. These are dreadful times we live in." The large beast huffed, pressing his side against her thigh for some measure of comfort and Nemir sighed. The Kingdom would burn, innocents would die. Nature would be razed and every living creature therin would suffer for the sins of mankind.

What a life.

"Three and a half months is not much time. It's nothing in the grand scheme of all things." She finally spoke, her voice soft, lacking its usual stern edge as she addressed Arvin. Indeed she was right. Those precious weeks would fly by in the blink of an eye, and they'd barely have much, if anything to show for their efforts in the end.

"The calamity we face is unlike any other. Many will die, and despite all our efforts we cannot save them all. We are few, and with the passing of the years I simply lack the strength." She admitted. One Templar was not enough to spread the words of the Gods across the Kingdom. One was not enough to quell the fears of the people, to soothe their nerves, nor to break the riots that would soon follow. She was not enough. Not in the face of such a monumental task.

Nemir's expression hardened ever so slightly and she fell silent, recalling internally one of many tenents beaten into her during her training days.

"Every breath that you draw is an act of defiance in the face of your enemies. They may break your bones, your spirits. They will spill your blood without reason. But if they can't even keep you from sucking in a single breath, well that's a spit in the face. You don't always have to win. Sometimes, survival is victory enough."

Her mentor, long dead, had been an odd man. Less a Templar and more a surly swordsman. But he was practical and never minced his words in all the years she'd known him. Nemir knew it was best to heed his teachings, more in the days to come than ever before.

"We cannot save them all." She repeated herself, a tone of finality taking root in her voice as she she stared the young King down, searching the man's gaze for some semblance of understanding.

"But we will try anyway."

For the moment, the Knight’s worries danced with the embers instead of within him as he awaited a response. Did the Goddess plan to rebuke him, and confirm his fears? Aurin knew that’s what he’d expected all of this time. Waiting for judgement that, since he’d left his past behind, hadn’t caught up with him. It left him uneasy, to stay in anticipation.

Hands wrung behind his back, but when Kasai spoke it was not laced with any malice or disapproval. Her words were assurring, but more than that, they were giving him direction. She would remind him of what was important, and what he would have to do. Things he knew, but had been far too preoccupied to accept. Holding his concerns inside hadn’t allowed him to prepare himself adequately for his duties. Now that they were out there, well, there was a lot more room for clear thought.

Aurin would keep running, but he would keep his eyes forward. He had to stop glancing over his shoulder every chance he got at what was behind him. If the shades of his past were truly chasing him, this would only slow him down, and he would let himself fall prey to what was ahead of him instead. It would come for all of them if they let themselves continue to be distracted, and there would be nothing left to stop that vision from manifesting.

Coming back into awareness, and out of the little world with just him and the flame, Aurin dwelled briefly on the faces of the other Pantheon members. Each of them held a different tone, but were all equal in intensity, but the King was faring much worse. Nobody moved forward to interrupt the moment, giving him time to pry himself away from the sanctum floor. He had to have seen something too, but being reduced to this state, it had to have been absolutely catastrophic. The small seconds where the King couldn’t hide the fear in his eyes was not enough to prepare them for his message.

“Örn... our Kingdom... is to burn.”

Those words were the kind that took all of the air out of the room, creating a vacuum where the moment doesn’t feel real. Images flashed through Aurin’s mind as his breaths shallowed. The night of the last attack. The blazing streets, fledglings and cambions, the Baalgar. So another wave? No… The King continued from where he knelt. It was quite the opposite, and not something they could simply put their armies against.

There would be a brief window of time, a mercy to the people, and then, those who failed to turn their faith to The Four would be culled in a sea of fire. A few short months would determine if thousands would live or die. It was hard to hear, but that didn’t stop Aurin from trying to make sense of it for himself.

This news came after Kasai had promised Aurin The Four would do all they could to protect and preserve as many souls as possible against the Void. For both of these things to be true, then this had to be the only way. The time given to them to prepare had to be so they could save everyone who could be saved. Those who refused The Quadrinity would be far too easy to turn over to the Void’s influence. More soldiers in the Void’s ranks for them to battle. If that was the group The Four meant to target, then perhaps that’s the only way those they spared would have a chance to escape the other fate the Knight had seen.

King Arvin held the throne and in turn responsibility for his people, but it was going to take all of the Pantheon to convince them of what they’d heard today. Arvin had never been shy about how much he genuinely cared for the Kingdom, and as he asked for their help, it was obvious the King was hurting. The loss to come was not going to be without a heavy toll, but there was hope that it could be mitigated. That was enough to keep him going through these next weeks with the strength he had. The young King faced many burdens, but he showed no signs of backing down.

Watching Crow pledge himself first to this cause was odd but not entirely unexpected. Aurin remembered the moments when the Doctor would show his actual concern for the King, and in those moments the Knight truly believed there was good intent behind the image he put on the outside of the “Demon Doctor”. Seeing him do this now without the robes, or his face hidden by his mask, it was easier to read the man. For the first time he looked like someone Aurin might trust. That was the odd part.

Nemir was also quick to lend her help. She was like many other older warriors Aurin had known. Wiser, stronger, but tired. That didn’t stop her from doing what she knew to be right, though she knew the costs. Aurin admired her resolve, and didn’t want to fall far behind. He too knew this wouldn’t be easy, but, it was the best they could do.

Many are likely to see this judgement as an attack and it will be difficult to convince them otherwise... Yet, I believe I’ve seen what lies ahead if we fail to defeat the Void.” Aurin began, pausing to try to find the words to explain what he’d been shown, and what he imagined it to mean. The Knight knew he wouldn’t do it justice, but he shook his head, giving it an attempt regardless. Arvin should know as much as possible.

Kasai gave me a vision of a horrible creature- nothing like we’ve faced so far. It was as if terror and suffering had a form. Escape would be impossible. Fighting back would be futile. She showed me this while explaining what The Four have been protecting us from all this time.” As he spoke of what he could picture in his mind, an unsteadiness rose in his voice that he tried to settle before continuing. He was sure of this next part, and needed to reflect that.

We can fight the Void, but only with the help of The Four can we win. If this is what they must do to give us a chance, I can be at peace with that. As the Four have my faith, King Arvin, you have my service, and my oath to fight by your side, to whatever ends call for me.

September 18th, 571

Two long months have passed since the revelation was made at the Temple of Kasai, deep within the Western forests of Örn. That day marked a turning point for the Pantheon, with a new threat on the horizon, this time in the form of Divine Intervention. With their once great Kingdom being sentenced to burn, the eight brave individuals ordained by the Gods themselves were hard pressed to begin their work. The time had come for an ultimatum, and every soul was worth its own fortune to the Gods. However, as the Judicator of Örn had so excellently put it, they could not save everyone. But they damn well would try their best.

A decree was issued first thing in the morning after King Arvin had returned to his home. Within the confines of his plight to his people, he’d tell of the prophesy the Goddess Kasai had made known unto him. They were to depart from this great Kingdom, leaving behind any and all of their worldly possessions as to travel away from the poison that had rooted itself amongst their own kind. At the eclipse of October on the 31st night, Örn would burn under the dull glow of the harvest moon. So it was ordained by the King that himself and all who would follow would depart from the Kingdom on the 31st day, before the darkness of night would ever grace the horizon. They would arise, and depart if they did not wish to be consumed. All others who remained would perish. None would be spared, none would be saved, lest they heeded the words of their prophet.

As expected to the sorrowful eyes of the King, his message was met with a fierce wrath from the majority of those he lead. Not only from those who rejected him before, but also from many who once believed in him. They believed themselves to be betrayed, for their difficult thing he had asked of them would destroy their lives. Some thought the gods had forsaken them all, and others began to doubt the gods even existed. Rebellion was beginning to spurn in the hearts of these individuals, and the fires of rage were only kindled by those nobles of influence who had been a thorn in the pantheons side since day one.

The Lyncaster, Reinthold, and many other families had been involved in conspiring with one another in rallying the people against the Puppet King. They took these times as an opportunity to rise up and dethrone the man that had held them at bay for so, refusing them the ‘rights’ their status should bring them. Their efforts proved fruitful, as on many occasions did mobs of citizens scorn and rebuke the Pantheon with such harsh words whenever they made a public appearance of any kind. Heretics, traitors, flase gods, and many other titles were thrust upon them. The people that they once had such strong connections with had abandoned them.

It was dark times, there was no denying it. Not only was there turmoil within the Kingdom, but outside its confines as well. The Platoon of the Kättare soldiers were the first of many to disappear after departing from the sanctuary Örn provided from the Demonic Hordes. Due to these incidents, travel had become limited as to prevent more individuals from going missing. But these events were used as nothing more than more fuel to turn the hearts of the people against the Gods and those ordained to lead them. They made claims of Arvin wishing to take away their freedoms, and make them as puppets in his hands, that he might pull their strings and control their very lives. So many more souls would fall away.

The gradual revolt of his own people against him was weighing heavily upon the Kings heart. Burdened by the loss of those once faithful to the Gods, a question would resound in his mind many times a day. Just how many would they truly be able to save? He’d already understood that many would be lost, and yet, there were far fewer than he hoped there would be. It was eating him alive inside, but he still focused his efforts into preparing for the inevitable destruction of his inherited kingdom.

In his mind, he still thought it possible to save it from destructions, and so he made it a point to further hone and perfect his combat tactics. And he knew full well Aurin and Nemir were engaging in the same practice, both with their soldiers and themselves. Both himself and Lyrren trained daily, dueling and practicing as often as they could, for they both felt the same burning desire to fight for their home, regardless of what the Gods had ordained. If there was even a chance to redeem their land, they would take it.

Once again the brothers were engaged closely in combat, the sound of their blades ringing in the air as steel collided with steel. Arvin wielded his Champions Blade with the same vigor and determination as he always did, with his brother meeting him the same with his own dual blades. Arvin repelled an assault from his brother, before slicing upwards, only to miss as Lyrren ducked to the side and sent both his blades slicing in a downward Arc towards his brother. The King hardly had time to parry, only to receive a kick to the abdomen that sent him sprawling to the ground. By the time he was ready to recover, his brother held him at sword point.

“Ten bouts in a row. You’re getting sloppy my brother, more than usual in our bouts.” The both of them were breathing heavily, both dressing in nothing more than their pants and boots as to relieve them of the heat of the September sun. “It’s clear to me that something ails you, would you care to talk about it?”

Arvin merely grunted as he shoved his brothers blade out of the way and stood, wiping the sweat from his brow with his forearm. Bringing the Champions Blade forward once more, he stood at the ready for yet another bout. But Lyrren would not entertain him, and would instead put his blades into the brick of the courtyard and leaned upon them.

“Come now. I won’t fight until you atleast talk to me.”

“I have nothing to say. My pains are mine to bear. I need not share them, as you yourself have plenty to worry of as it is.”

“True, but that does not mean I cannot make room for the woes of the one closest to me. I may have my stresses, Arvin, but that does not mean I’ll abandon you for them. I may be a member of your pantheon but above all else I am your brother and your friend. You should know that I am always here to talk with you.”

“I understand and appreciate this Lyrren but it’s not exactly something you can change.”

“I never asked to change it, only that I might hear you out and make the burden of your soul lighter for a time.”

Arvin lowered his blade and sighed, “It’s everything, Lyrren. When myself and the others left the temple we were so hopeful of everything, that we might be able to make a difference and save the majority of our people. But now it only feels like things have gotten worse. Everything’s fallen apart so quickly, and I feel as if my own people want me dead. What’s worse, is now because of your affiliation with me, you and everyone else in my Pantheon have become subject to such violence and disrespect. Your own safety has been jeopardized and I can’t help but feel as if it’s my fault!”

“Arvin,” Lyrren reached and put a hand on his brothers shoulder, “It truly isn’t your fault and you know it. This is merely the weakness and the seeds of doubt that the Goddess spoke of in action. When faced with this hardship, those that now oppose of show their true colors. But it’s all just noise.”

“They reign in the majority Lyrren.”

“They do not. Have you not walked the city streets recently? I’ve seen more houses in the depths of preparation for what is to come than others that are not prepared. You only think those that oppose us are the majority because you’ve narrowed your vision to the negativity of the world, as you so often do. Open your eyes Arvin, and see the good in the world. I promise that things will weigh easily on your mind if you do this. Our people are preparing. We may not be able to save them all, but those that have faith will survive. I know it.”

Arvin’s hardened heart softened at the testimony of his brother, and his stern gaze returned to its typically friendly nature. He’d raise his own arm and grasp his brothers shoulder in return.

“Thank you, Lyrren.”

The two would embrace, before agreeing to call it a day for their training.

“So, when do you leave with the search party?” Questioned Arvin.

“First thing tomorrow morning. We want to try and make it past the hills that the platoon traversed, that we might be able to track them down from there. We’ve searched those areas many times, but I have a good feeling we’ll find them this time.”

“That’s what you’ve said every other venture you’ve lead.”

“Never hurts to be positive, does it?”

“No, I suppose it doesn’t.”

“So what of you, dearest King? I’ve heard you plan to take another trip of your own with the others as well.”

Arvin nodded his head, “We’ll be heading to the Temple of Origins. The Four have finally revealed to me that it is time they receive their blessings. In the days to come they will need the power the gods can provide, especially with how heavily our numbers will fall once October ends.”

Lyrren grinned wildly at the statement, “Splendid! Do you truly believe their individual connections with the gods have improved enough to inherit these things?”

“I can’t say for sure, only they know that. But I will say these things happen for a reason. The gods would not tell me it is time if it were not so.”

“Who do you think each of them will be chosen by?”

“Honestly I can’t say. The only one that’s obvious is Nemir. She’s served Terran well over the years, and I imagine the Stone God will be more than happy to bless her for it. But who knows, the Four have surprised me before.”

“Honestly I can’t say. The only one that’s obvious is Nemir. She’s served Terran well over the years, and I imagine the Stone God will be more than happy to bless her for it. But who knows, the Four have surprised me before.”

“I’m putting two silver that Crow gets chosen by Kasai.” Lyrren snickered.

“Really? I think Argus might favor him more.”

“Oh please, a wild personality like his? Kasai must enjoy it.”

“I dunno, he claims his experience with her was far more tense than the rest of ours.”
Ramjammer Ramjammer The True Plague The True Plague Juju Juju seasonedcat seasonedcat ItsKenAgain ItsKenAgain

Crow sighed, staring off into the distance. The ol' thousand yard stare. Things have changed quite a bit since that day in the temple. It may be hard to believe, but somehow things have gotten worse. Sure, he didn't expect many to find it palatable to abandon all they knew, all they had, to run before the flames of the divine. After all, even he isn't so fond of the concept either, but he didn't expect the amount of backlash it received. Well... Actually, he expected it from the materialistic scumbags that make up the noble class, but he didn't expect it from those who had little to their name.

After all, in his experience, having nothing to really tie you down simply makes it easier to start anew. He had nothing to lose, so he had joined the fight against the demons when he was a young lad. He had nothing to lose, so he had taken to experimenting on the corpses of the demonic foe. Now? Well, he had something he could lose. He could lose Raven... Arvin... Hell, he'd probably be sad to see Sergio go, given Sergio is the most tolerable noble that he didn't in some way aid in their upbringing. He had so much to lose in this, but he knew it was the risk he has to take. Though it hadn't hit home until he had to sell the apothecary he had been running for a year now outside of the castle.

He still vividly remembers that day he knew he had to sell it. When a small group of rebels had stormed his apothecary. He remembered seeing one hold a knife to Raven as they surrounded him. If he had to guess, he'd presume Lyncaster sent them, given they said they'd stick him like a pig. Shame they forgot one thing... Never attack your doctor. He doesn't quite remember how it all happened, due to it being a flurry of blows. He remembers vague screaming, a few stabbing pains... And when he came to, Raven crying on his shoulder, and guards removing the broken bodies of six men. Raven had been fine, the man holding her hadn't expected the kick to the jewels she gave him, and they really didn't expect the carrion bird to turn into a beast. However, unlike his fellows in the pantheon... Crow knew to listen to his own fucking advice, and he made a rather quick recovery with only three times he ruined his stitches... Look, work doesn't stop because you got stabbed, especially when your job is to care for others.

In a day, he had everything set up. He pulled his rank to get armed guard to escort a carriage with him and his belongings taken to the castle. For an extremely low price, he sold off the building that used to house his business, and moved in to the castle until such time as they finally left. It was an odd sight, to be honest. Sure, he was the royal doctor, but he's been living outside of the castle since the King's death. Sure, he'd arrive most days to make the appearances he's required for, or if he were sent for, and he briefly stayed in the aftermath of the demonic invasion to handle the issues of the Pantheon... But to live in the castle felt unlike him. He preferred the company of the masses, but now every stubborn fool swayed by the nobles is just another threat to him. If not for the fact that a fair few of them were just starving men or pub brawlers only, he may not be here now.

Shaking his head, Crow adjusted his mask and went back to his walk. Raven has demanded he spend some time each day on a walk. Gets him out of the room, and prevents him from studying himself to death. Which he wouldn't do, thank you very much Raven. Great vote of confidence. See if he'll save you from hired thugs next time... Anyways, as he stomped through the halls, towering over most servants he passed. Maids would step off into side passages if they didn't freeze up at the sight of the doctor. He'd give a slight nod of his head to acknowledge them, usually getting a meek hello or an eep of fear in return. Probably because he's a big man, in black robes and beaked mask. You'd imagine they'd get used to him, but nooooooo... Apparently the Demon Doctor, the one that the nobles once spread rumors of being a rebel, Royal Physician himself is just too hard to adjust to... HEY! Stop snickering, he's serious. How hard can it be to adjust to the imposing man who walks the halls?

Anyways, ignoring the scared staff, he'd step foot into the kitchen... Only to have some bread and an apple tossed at him before being yelled at to leave. Guess he still isn't welcomed back into the kitchen after he jokingly asked if they've considered serving demon meat. Come on! He has some preserved cambion flesh. He preserved most of the carcass from that invasion. Not that he'd share it with the kitchens... He needed it to see if he can make something that'll melt it. Anyways...

He pulled his mask up slightly, enjoying that sweet, sweet crunch of an apple. It go cronch. Idly, he wondered if he should go hunt down the others... But that's social interaction. He prefers that comes to him. Much less awkward that way. So instead of heading towards the courtyard, or anywhere else he could expect someone to be training, he went for a stroll in the dying garden. It's a somewhat lovely sight. Even with their best efforts, nature claims the plants in the end.

Siren77 Siren77 Juju Juju Ramjammer Ramjammer seasonedcat seasonedcat ItsKenAgain ItsKenAgain

Metal met metal outside of the castle stables. As blows exchanged Aurin advanced quickly against his opponent, all while repeating-

“Front foot. Front foot. You’re putting too much weight on your front foot.”

Much to the dismay of the young squire who, admittedly, was just doing his best to avoid being hit. The boy grunted and lunged forward, swinging his weapon at the knight with, perhaps a little too much force. It didn’t matter, because Aurin was quicker. The knight slipped the path of the squire’s attack and went low. He brought his spear behind Kip’s leg and yanked upwards, sending him to the ground. Aurin could almost feel the thud travel through the dirt.

Ack- Damn it!” The boy shouted. He huffed as Aurin merely chuckled.

“I did try to warn you.” He mused. “Then again, if you weren’t so busy trying to take my head off you might’ve been paying more attention to your feet.”

Aurin held his weapon to his side and took Kipling’s hand, bringing him upright. The boy brushed his pants off and spent a moment getting his breath. His brown eyes squinted at the knight.

“I was trying. It’s not like you were giving me much time to ‘think about my feet’.”

“What, like anybody else will? You should be practicing those drills I showed you, even when we aren’t training.”

“I have been!”

“When you’re not sneaking off to spend time with that doctor’s apprentice.” Aurin shot back. Kipling’s face went red and he had no reply. The knight raised his eyebrows and a shit eating grin took his face. “Mhmm, I thought as much.”

Truth be told, Aurin had noticed this happening for a while, ever since Crow had moved into the castle and brought the girl with him. He would hate it more that his squire spent so much time around those two, but these days were hard enough as is. Perhaps it was a good thing they seemed to get some comfort being around each other. If it made Kip’s life better, Aurin could overlook it to some extent.

He walked back over to the stables, resting his spear against the stall and climbing up onto the first wood slat in order to reach his horse. The knight brought his face close to hers and scratched behind her ears.

“Sorry the riding lesson was cut short, but the squire had other plans.” He explained as if she had a clue what he was saying. She turned her head, nudging him, and he took that as a response. He patted her in reassurance. “Next time we’ll get more practice in.”

Aurin leaned back and let himself fall away from the stall, landing on his heels and turning on them to face the squire who was in fervent combat with an invisible partner. The knight had been training Kip any chance he got in the past months. While the boy impressed him with his tenacity, Aurin could tell when he was about fed up- and after a full morning of discussing techniques and drills, this was about as much as either of them could take.

“That’s enough for now, Kipling. There are some things I should be checking on before the Pantheon meets this evening. If you practice those drills while I’m gone, maybe next time you’ll fare better.” He taunted, waving without looking back as he took his leave.

---

After finding a quiet place closer to the main part of the castle, Aurin settled down in some shade where he could find a suitable bench. He wanted a moment he could be alone with his feelings- something he’d found himself doing much more frequently since his experience at the Temple of Kasai. Things had not been easy, watching the kingdom turn against Arvin and the rest of them that followed him so closely. It made staying in the castle walls all the more enticing to avoid the slander they met if they chose to venture the streets. In all honesty, he’d almost stopped caring at this point.

Things had changed for Aurin. He could not rid himself of the vision Kasai had granted him. It played far too frequently behind closed eyes for him to ignore. With that, he had no doubts as to what was coming. His sense of duty overtook him in many ways, giving him that boost of certainty he’d needed. For him, this choice was an easy one. Have faith and leave, or stay and burn. He was not so sympathetic to those who would choose to stay, so their hateful words meant little to him now. However, there were those he still held some concern for.

In the days following their return he’d put his pride aside, and decided to reach out to those from his past he’d been trying to distance himself from. He admittedly wasn’t sure how much good it would do, but if he was to help save any of them he had to try. So he’d written his family urging them to heed Arvin’s warning.

Considering his last correspondence with his family, shortly after arriving at the castle for the first time, did not go well (mostly his fault) he had to resort to urging his closest brother to convince his parents for him. It had been an ongoing process but his brother proved to be someone he could still count on. He ran his thumb over the familiar wax seal, bidding today’s letter to be the one he’d been waiting for before unfolding the parchment.

Aurin,

I’m glad to share, I’ve got good news for you! I’ve tried about every trick in the book in these weeks, speaking to Mother and Father, but I think they’ve finally come to. That, or they’re tired of my badgering. Though, I like to think that there truly is some faith still held in their hearts for our gods and kingdom; some that isn’t just for show. Anyhow- I believe they’re at last convinced of the decree the King gave. The preparations are being made now for our departure soon.

PS, They won’t admit it, but I think they’re glad you wrote.

Your favorite, Isaiah

Well, thank the gods, something had gone right. There was someone else he’d written though, and it had gone as expected, with the utmost animosity. That being said, he had one more letter to read today, which was one of many he’d received since sending the first. A letter from his previous charge, High Lord Irvailde.

One look and it seemed to be just as belligerent as the last few. It was a mistake to let this man know how to reach him. Aurin pinched the bridge of his nose and closed his eyes. As obnoxious as the result had been, he still didn’t regret at least attempting to get the old man to follow Arvin’s orders. He knew full well that Irvailde thrived off of exploiting others for material gain, and that his temper was akin to that of a wild boar. So, he’d been chalking this up to another loss he couldn’t prevent. Just as he was going to rid himself of the letter, though, a few lines in specific caught his eye. He brought the letter closer to him, backtracking on Irvailde’s words.

While you, with all the weak will of a dog, fall under the false words of that heretic boy with his delusions, there ARE those who are truly loyal to this kingdom’s welfare- other families who have upheld this nation with their contributions for far too long to be cheated out of all that is rightfully theirs, and I will not be tempered by a coward like you. I hope the mobs take you all. Your 'gods’ know they have my FULL support.

Aurin’s stomach fell a bit as he tucked the letter hastily back away. This was not good. Nothing more than fuel on this fire that licked at the castle walls. If Irvailde really meant that the mobs had his support in the way he thought, Aurin knew that likely meant quite a large amount of financial gain to the revolt. He could be conspiring with Lyncaster and the others leading the uprisings. Perhaps Irvailde would’ve done so regardless, but Aurin couldn’t help believing that he’d spurred those actions even more by sending to the high lord in the first place. He’d been ignoring much of these chastises this far. He knew how quickly the high lord had turned to hate him, but it still pained him to be in this position now. Any hope he still had of protecting that man and his family had to be lost if they were conspiring against King Arvin and the Pantheon's efforts. He sneered, gripping the bench in his frustration. Shit.

He’d been anticipating what to do if this happened since the first time he considered its possibility. Instead of going straight to King Arvin on the matter, who was surely stressed enough, it might be more logical to take what he knew to Sergio when he saw him. Let him know there was yet another noble family gunning for them he might want to keep a lookout for. And this was totally not an excuse to go talk to Sergio in private sometime. He kept this in mind as he left the bench, though he had no clue where to find the Spymaster this time of day. Nor much of anybody else for that matter. Perhaps he'd wander around for awhile with this bit of free time and see where that got him.

Siren77 Siren77 seasonedcat seasonedcat Juju Juju The True Plague The True Plague Ramjammer Ramjammer

Aurelia Luxenri The True Plague The True Plague
Inner Palace --> Rookery --> Kitchen​
b18baf5a9cc8fcbdd21dba0c649ff709.jpgThe moment Arvin had made his decree, Aurelia knew what sort of backlash it would amass. She knew the noble ecosystem better than most, the type of knowledge that could only come from an apex house such as Luxenri. The bottom feeders, the sheep, the wolves, she knew where most fell. Some would bare their fangs, while others would wait for something else to pounce before joining in. Often they were the worst of the two, and in the previous weeks, it became clear that they were utterly surrounded by such. While Crow was undoubtedly the lowest on the ladder of the Pantheon, an attack on him meant an attack on all of them. The streets themselves had become dangerous, and Aurelia did not dare stray from the keep (much to the detriment to her expensive taste of style).

Of course the filthy commoners were taking the excuse to attack their betters, but they were not alone in their malcontent. More and more noble voices began to join them until it became nothing short of a political disaster. Of course, it was to be expected; these were proud families, old bloodlines that had been old long before the founding of Orn. The lands they ruled had become as much a part of them as their name, and now they were being asked to uproot everything for on the hopes of salvation. There was no saying what the future held, and taking unnecessary leaps of faith was not how these noble houses had grown into the political giants they were today.

Aurelia let out a sigh, the smell of hot wax and ink clinging to the air. She gazed down at the latest reply from the nobility of Orn, a singular scroll bound in green wax. Pressed into it was the insignia of a rabbit leaping over an arrow, sigil of House Rothway. For a moment Aurelia simply sat in her cushioned chair, reluctant to unroll the inevitable bad news. Stacked into neat piles on either side of her were replies from other noble families, some trite, some vulgar, but all declining the king's plea. The day was still early, and yet she could already see it souring before her.

Finally, she willed up enough courage to unroll the parchment. Her fingers slid beneath the wax, breaking it, and unrolled the message. Green eyes soaked in the candlelight as they glided over the flowery, yet carefully etched words. She frowned slightly, blinking. According to this message, the Rothways reaffirmed their allegiance to the crown and promised to travel to the capital in the coming week, along with their peasants and loaded wagons of supplies.

"6000 bushels of wheat, 500 each of barley, oats and rye. 200 cattle and 400 sheep." she muttered, then placed down the scroll with a sigh, "Not nearly enough, yet better than nothing. We will have to make do... we have other no choice. Unless we select less people to board the ships. No, Arvin would never agree to that. Yet what good is escaping the demons if we starve? The gods told us to have faith, yet faith doesn't fill a stomach. Hmm. Perhaps I can ask Lord Ambercolt for more provisions... or make a deal with one of the remaining families. Farnford? Vorrai?"

Aurelia laid out a fresh piece of parchment and drew her quill from the ink pot, tapping away the excess liquid, "House Crawvine has always been respectful of the Luxenri, but..." she trailed off on her own. There had been no ravens from her family since over a fortnight ago.

This was concerning, as she often transferred information about the capital on a weekly basis. The sudden silence was alarming, but she was sure to keep it to herself for now. Perhaps a raven had been shot down, thought that would be difficult, as the Luxenri ravens were nocturnal. Choosing to ignore tell-tale portents, Aurelia finished up her letters to nobility and once the ink had set, placed them into a small silk bag. It was time to visit the rookery.

---​

The familiar screeches and mutterings were a strange comfort to a high-browed lady such as herself, yet Aurelia could not help it. Even as a little girl she had been drawn to the ravens. Unlike crows, which were all very annoying and obnoxious birds. One raven in particular, a ruby-eyed Luxenri stock, was her favourite. He was old, having been born when she was little, but was the sharpest of the flock. Melantios, she had named him, after a fictional hero. One of his eyes had been clawed out by a hungry owl, but the other had a certain wiliness to it, like he knew something you did not. Today, he had something else, a tightly bound scroll.

"My lady." he croaked upon seeing her, bobbing his head up and down. "Treat. Treat. Lady. Hello."

Seeing the old bird brought a smile to her face. Of course, as customary, he would not let her near the scroll without a reward. Any and all attempts to take it from him would only result in a nip at her fingers or him fluttering away. Unfortunately, she did not have any such delicacy on her, and the simple food provided by the feeding troughs would not please the cunning old bird. He watched her with his one ruby eye, preening a feather to two. "Cannot know. King. My Lady. Treat."

"You're not the only one cawing for handouts, Melanthios. You will have to wait your turn. I shall visit the kitchens to see if they have any spare liver." Aurelia said while fastening a letter to a better-behaved raven's leg. It flew off as soon as she opened the doors to its coop. "You had best be carrying some good news or the only treat you will be getting is a rat."

"Rat, rat, rat." Melanthios rasped, then imitated a meow. Close enough.

After Aurelia had finished sending off the ravens with their letters, the Rookery was a lot quieter than it had been before. Of course, not counting Melanthios' babbling nonsense. She left him there, scroll still bound to his foot, and made her way towards the kitchen with her empty silk bag. Now that she was out of the rookery, she couldn't help but wonder what news her family had sent after such a long period of silence. It worried her so much that she didn't even see Crow walking down the hallway until after it was too late to change her course.

Aurelia pursed her lips thinly, wishing she had waited just a little bit longer and cursing the one-eyed-raven for his nonsense. Should she ignore him? No, that was impossible as much as she wanted to. It might make him go out of his way to torment her. Sighing heavily to herself, Aurelia forced out a curt greeting, "Good day, Crow."

Maybe he would grow bored and go away? The last thing she needed was another delightful conversation with the royal doctor.

Crow had been rather caught up with munching on an apple, thinking of how poetic being in a dying garden, as the royal doctor of a theoretically dying kingdom, would be. Literally. Think about it. Much like a gardener, he is struggling against the natural route of things. He prunes and tends to in the hopes of keeping alive that which seeks to die. Do his comrades seek to die? Probably not, but given how little they listen to his fucking medical advice at times, they may as well be trying to hasten their demise. Stubbornness can only transcend the realities of the flesh for so long. Oh yeah, what was this long winded thought for? Simple. He had been too caught up in thinking, that in his haste to make his way towards the gardens to chill amongst the encroaching cold of winter, he failed to avoid an absolutely horrid encounter.

"Good day, Aurelia." Crow spoke slowly, after he finished swallowing his most recent bite of this somewhat poor apple. Not quite sweet, skin was a little mushy. Makes sense they'd throw poor produce at him. Tossing good food at animals merely encourages them to return. Carefully, he reached up and pulled his mask back down the rest of the way, covering his mouth once more. Much easier to make rude gestures like sticking his tongue out, if the offending appendage is hidden. "Another day of lording over the birds and mail?" His tone was kind of casual, more amused than anything else. Unlike the nobles of the Pantheon, Crow had nobody he had to reach out to. The only people who are important to him, are all already heading out. Any of the street urchins loyal to him would be ready to drop everything and move on. Raven obviously would go with him... Provided that squire of Aurin's came with. Yes, he tormented her over it at least once a day. It was amusing.

He stepped towards the side of the hall, giving her full room to pass if she so chose.
"Don't let me stall your work. I'm sure there's still some loathsome folks you can convince to come along. Even a parasite is smart enough to follow the host over bickering for carrion." Crow had only promised to be nice to the various nobles... He never promised he'd not rib the ones he had to keep company. The only tolerable of the three was Sergio. "Given you decided to leave the rookery, I'll presume you have to get a treat for one of your pompous birds, no?"

One of the few benefits of moving into the palace was he learned the routines of the others for the most part. He couldn't say where anyone was for certain, but he did know the general actions one will be doing. For example, both the King and the Prince would practice with each other. The squire and his apprentice would sneak off together when not made busy by his or Aurin's hands. Aurin was usually practicing with his horse, the off duty soldiers if you could call them that, or sparring with his squire. Aurelia was busy exchanging letters with nobles usually. If she wasn't hovering near the rookery or her room, he'd have no idea... He could at least respect that. Not that he'd ever tell her or indicate it. That's respecting a noble, which he can't condone unless threatened by beings who could erase him without worry. Also, he's a bit vindictive towards the nobles ever since that attack. Fucking made him move into the castle.

"So go ahead, run along. You have business with potential backstabbers and opportunistic mites to be busy with, not discussing your duties with me."

Juju Juju

Aurelia Luxenri The True Plague The True Plague
Kitchens
b18baf5a9cc8fcbdd21dba0c649ff709.jpg"You should be a little thankful for lordlings and mail, Crow, both are among the few things keeping your precious commoners from storming the keep as we speak," Aurelia retorted hotly, yet there was an unmistakable hint of uneasiness shadowing her words.

She knew perfectly well what happened when a palace was raided by the filthy creatures of the commons. It was not just in books, or rumors, but something she had seen happen to neighboring lords. You could hardly believe humans were capable of such savagery, yet she knew what sort of spiteful little demons they became when given the chance. She thought of it often nowadays, and in the growing discontent she found it was keeping her awake at night. It became her primary concern to stabilize the capital's situation, aside from provisioning them for their exodus. By now it was starting to show in the tired look in her eyes and the ink stains on her fingertips.

"Parasites? What provisions are the beggars and cobblers bringing? Those nobles you spite are the same people who will be keeping you warm and fed during the journey! Guards to keep us safe! Do you have any idea how dire the situation is? You..." Aurelia frowned, then glanced suspiciously between Crow and the kitchens. He had moved aside to let her pass? Wast this a trick?

Her face flushed at the comment on feeding the birds, but she was mostly baffled by how easily he was letting her pass by. It was strange, not unwelcome, but just... strange. She narrowed her eyes at that avian mask, wondering what sort of face he was making beneath. You could almost accuse the doctor of being agreeable. Almost.

Aurelia regained her composure and spoke carefully, still a little confused, "Y-yes... I have very little time to waste. Let us hope they have more to spare for pompous birds than apples."

She walked past the towering doctor, and to her surprise was allowed to pass without hinderance. Before entering the kitchen she gave Crow one last glance then disappeared into the doorway.

1609361027414.png
~Sergio~
1609361419477.pngSergio pulled at his hair, frustration woven into every frame of his future. His usual well kept appearance was at an all-time low, a surprise to most of his servants that fearfully avoided his study. His clothing resembled his nightwear more than anything, but he was in no mood to bother changing into something more presentable. A pile of teacups and untouched plates adorned his desk as well as the stand beside it. He had not bothered to eat anything and preferred a more caffeine centred consumption. This of course was coffee and tea, used as a substitute for his minimal sleep.

Sighing to himself he set down another letter, placing it atop the pile of many that had collected over the time since they had visited the temple. People were far from happy with the new information and were into dissing the king and his allies than saving themself. This has made things very hard for Sergio. His spies were constantly in danger, tension high in the streets leading to many fights, and some had just up and left his work. He had to recall most of his information services and was at an all-time low with his hold on nobles. The few spies that were willing to continue work were moved forward with care, he couldn't risk losing them, nor did he want to risk their lives.

Tearing at the skin on his finger, he gazed out his window. So many of the foolish nobles were refusing to listen to their warnings. They were focusing on rebelling, something the city had no time for if it wanted to survive. Thankfully, losing most of the foolish nobles would be far from missed with himself or many such as Crow. Though, at the same time losing them did propose a problem with work.

Blood dripped off of his skin, falling on top of the paper with a quiet plop. He gazed down at his finger numbly. Pain gently throbbed around his nail as blood pooled and spilled over. He sat there, watching the liquid spill from himself for a while until there was a gentle knock on his door. The blood had crusted onto himself as well as soaked into the depths of the paper before him. Shaking his head, he crumpled the paper and discarded it onto the floor, "come in." he spoke dully, his exhausted eyes dancing over to the door, only to be met with yet another servant who carefully placed tea before rushing out.

Rubbing his face roughly he reached out and prepared his drink. He ignored the small pool of emotions that curled in his stomach, somehow he had wished someone would have come to visit him. He had spent most of his days in his study, taking care of spies and reading through loads of papers 'borrowed' from nobles. Thankfully, him being a noble allowed some flyers of meetings for rebels to be passed onto him, of course, this only happened when the mail forgot who lived in his house. Sipping his tea Sergio picked up another piece of paper and began to read through it tiredly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back