• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Karma ~ The True Consequences ~ A High School Story

Kurotsuki

One body, many minds
Participants; BlossomsOfRainbows BlossomsOfRainbows Stillsnow Stillsnow Kurotsuki Kurotsuki

Setting/beginning;

The first day of a new semester, so exciting! For everyone but Saki Akare, that is. She was just one insignificant drop of water in a sea of hundreds of students. The brightly shining morning sun conflicted with her mood, hurting her eyes and making her look down at the ground. A cacophony of inaudible chatter rose from the crowd, slowly melting into jeering laughter. But of course, that was just inside her head. The hallucination faded as suddenly as it had appeared.

She wore a long-sleeved zip-up hoodie, despite it being quite a warm morning. The rest of her outfit was more what you'd expect; a plain shirt, pleated skirt, knee-high stockings and a worn out pair of sneakers. Her mother had done her hair for her that morning, tied up in two neat pigtails with little red ribbons. She had gotten no sleep the previous night, and had little dark circles under her eyes. Those sad hazel eyes, which had been so bright and full of passion, once upon a time...

She made her way to her homeroom classroom and claimed a seat in the far corner, hoping nobody would notice her. She laid her head down on the desk. Class hadn't even begun, and she already had a headache.
"What sort of torture will today bring?" she mumbled to herself, "Just another day in this hellish purgatory..."

The first day of 11th grade was exciting for Haruki Furukawa. The previous years had been pretty boring and average, but this year, they had everything they wanted. A girlfriend (who happened to be the most popular girl in school), a bunch of friends, and they had become president of the Drama Club. Because of their girlfriend’s status, they were now one of the popular kids by association. They hadn’t expected this, but that doesn’t mean they didn’t like it.

Haruki wore a loose grey sweatshirt over their school shirt and slacks. They wore designer sneakers that they had gotten for their last birthday. Their shoulder-length black hair was tied back in an androgynous style, and their wide purple eyes were sparkling with excitement for their first day back to school.

They walked into class with their bag slung over one shoulder. They had a wide smile on their face as they happily greeted their friends on the way there. Once they got to their classroom, they took the seat next to Saki, giving her a sideways glance but not saying a word to her. They took out their phone and began to text until class began.

((Yume will be in my next post))

Kiyomi walked into the classroom after them, followed by a small group of her misfit gang. They were well known around the school for being 'rebels', mostly getting in trouble and spending a ton of time in detention. They took up the entire third row. Kiyomi leaned back in her chair, balancing precariously on the back two legs, and looked over at Saki (who was right behind her).
"Hey, guys? The crazy girl's in our class again," she said to her group. Some of them snickered and others just rolled their eyes. "At least I won't be the one bringing the class average down this semester."

Saki ignored them, or maybe she simply didn't notice what was going on around her. From the distant expression on her face, probably the latter. She barely looked up to acknowledge Kiyomi and her band of hooligans. One of them threw a pencil at her like a dart. It hit her in the face, dangerously close to her eye. Once again she didn't react, barely flinched. She simply didn't have the willpower to tell them to stop.

The Mazda suddenly came to a stop, hazard lights went up and blaring car horns filled the street. “Get out. It’s too early for your shit Lacey.” Lacey took a look around through the windows.

“Uh, we’re a street away. You’re not drunk already, are you?” Lacey said with an eyebrow raised.

“I said get out!” Lacey scoffed, she threw her handbag over her shoulder and slammed the door of the car on the way out. She stood there and watched the car become a little dot in the distance- her mum couldn’t have driven off faster. And don’t ever come back...

“H-hi Lacey, you look mad, a-are you okay?” Lacey got out of her head and turned her attention to the person in front of her. It was some short boy in glasses, his name was escaping Lacey at the moment but she morphed her scowl into a big smile nonetheless.

“No, don’t worry about me. I’m alright, thanks,” she said, blocking her mum out of her mind and instead focusing her mind on all the possibilities the new grade had in store for her. All the people to befriend. She took a step forward, feeling a little lighter just thinking about school. “How was your break? Buy anything for me?”

The walk didn’t take long, most of what the boy had said had gone over her head but she’d noted two things: his name was Kito and he had a grin on his face the whole time she was talking to him. He was enough of a reminder of how different things were at school. How much better it was there. The smile she was wearing felt a little more genuine when she got onto the school grounds, and even more genuine when she’d stepped into her homeroom after all the hugs, greetings and complements she’d gotten in the hallways.

The room was kinda packed, Kiyomi and her gang of misfits were already there- already stirring some shit up from the looks of it. Haruki was on the row behind them- texting busily on their phone. They were adorable. She noticed there was an empty seat on one side of them and on the other side... was Saki. She somehow seemed a little more off than usual. Lacey took her eyes off of the girl and walked over to her boyfriend with light footsteps- hoping he wouldn’t hear.

“Morning baby!” she said, sitting on the corner of their desk. “Wanna come sit in the front with me? There’s more people to talk to over there.” She glanced over at Saki again. Really Lacey just wanted to get away from her.

Yume walked confidently into class wearing a preppy pink dress and a bright smile. The smile was mostly fake, but almost nobody was able to see through that. She held her books to her chest, waving towards some classmates she was friendly with, but mostly ignoring everyone in her path. She took a seat front-and-center, where the “teacher’s pet” normally sat. She was fine with this title, having some of the best grades in school she felt she deserved it even.

She sat her books on her desk and then approached the back part of the classroom where most of the conversations were taking place. “Good morning.” She held a smile as she glanced towards everyone, the smile fading as her eyes landed on Saki. “I see we have Little Miss Psycho joining us today.” Her facial expression turned into a smirk as she directed her attention to the group of misfits and laughed mockingly. “I’d be careful if I were you guys. I’ve heard her bite is poisonous.”

Haruki looked up from their phone to see Lacey sitting in front of them. They looked a bit startled, but in a good way. Their facial expression turned into a grin as they shoved their phone into their pocket. “Morning, baby. Yeah, let’s move to the front. The view is better there.” They laughed lightly, swiftly standing up and pushing in their chair, making their way towards the front away from the commotion.

They turned to Lacey and murmured, hoping no one would hear, “I didn’t realize who I was sitting next to. I wouldn’t want to be caught seen with her if we were the last two people alive.” They then raised their voice back to a normal level when a group of students came up to greet them.

The gang collectively greeted Yume with some passive half-waves.
"Psycho Saki? Nah, she couldn't hurt anyone if she tried," Kiyomi laughed, and the rest of the group joined in.
"I feel kind of bad for her, though..." one of Kiyomi's misfit 'friends' spoke up, "she's pretty much the whole school's punching bag."
"You're kidding, right?" Kiyomi kicked her feet up onto her desk.
There was a long moment of silence before the other guy spoke again. "Yeah, of course. Joking. Who cares what happens to that little brat?" they laughed awkwardly.
"That's what I thought," Kiyomi replied, taking her feet off the desk as the teacher entered the classroom.

Lacey felt a weight lift off of her chest as Haruki stood up. Yume and Kiyomi were causing just a little too much of an uproar for her taste. “I didn’t realize who I was sitting next to. I wouldn’t want to be caught seen with her if we were the last two people alive.” Lacey snickered at their words. She’d probably kill herself if she knew you thought that, Lacey thought to herself. She knew Saki had a crush on Haruki a few years ago, she was pretty sure she still did. Not that it mattered, the only thing that had come of it was that it made Lacey want Haruki more.

“My thoughts exactly and I don’t blame you for not noticing her, she blends into the background so much. It’s kinda freaky. I do wish Yume wasn’t always on the attack though, it’s not a great look.” She kept her voice down as she replied but really she didn’t need to- Kiyomi’s group was probably all anyone could hear anyway.

Lacey sat Haruki down next to her in the front row after some light chatter with the group that’d approached them just as the teacher walked in- with Hiroki tumbling into the classroom just after.

“I’m not late am I?” He blurted out to no one in particular through heavy pants, he was buckled over with his hands on his knees, “I can’t be late on the first day again, I ran here and everything. Last year I was late on the first day... and I failed a bunch of my classes and...and-“

“You’re fine Hiro. Just on time!” Lacey said, interrupting his rambling. Hiroki looked at her with a relieved smile and shot her a thumbs up- to which she did the same. Hiroki bumbled over to the couple, gym bag dragging on the floor and moving a couple of chairs and desks aside as it followed him. He took a seat next to Haruki.

“You... hoo boy, I’m tired. You good buddy?” He said to Haruki, slumping back in his seat and taking some more heavy breaths in. He held a fist up- awaiting a fist bump. Lacey was trying her best to stifle a laugh at Hiroki’s antics but couldn’t quite contain herself completely.

Haruki laughed lightheartedly, putting up a fist and returning the “fist bump”. “Yeah, I’m good. Glad you could make it. I was thinking you wouldn’t show up.” They turned to their bag and pulled out two bottles of water, holding one out in offering. “Here, you look like you might need this.” They turned in their seat and gave the other one to Lacey with a small but bright smile.

Haruki then turned to face the front of the class, where the teacher was waiting to start the lesson. The idea of sitting in class was boring (unless it was Drama class), but they weren’t the type to make a scene over it. It would soon be over and they could spend more time with their girlfriend or other friends. That’s the mindset that kept them from falling asleep.

The teacher projected the day's lesson onto the whiteboard; a back-to-school slideshow presentation. They went over school policies, dress code (which no one followed anyway), and grading for the semester. Finally, when the boring presentation was nearing an end, up came a short segment about bullying. As the teacher droned on about the school's supposed 'zero tolerance' for bullying on campus, many people glanced back at Saki. She put her bag up on her desk to hide her face behind.

Finally, the bell rang, signalling the end of class. Students were directed to go to their next class. Despite having the same schedule as some of the other students, Saki didn't go with them. Instead, she ran out of the classroom before anyone could stop her.

An empty, unused classroom at the end of the hallway hosted countless illicit acts each day, from students copying others' homework to smoking and vaping during school hours. That's where Saki went. That room was a place of secrets, and her secret was one of the worst. Once she entered the classroom and checked that no one else was there, she rolled back the left sleeve of her hoodie. Beneath her sleeve was a mess of scars, some old and some new, crisscrossing up her forearm. She felt around in her pocket and her fingers closed around a small object; a flimsy but sharp pocketknife. Her hand trembled as she popped out the blade and brought it up to her exposed arm.

"Why must I always be the victim?" her voice came out in a breathless whisper as she made another cut. Blood and tears alike began to drip onto the tile floor. She hardly felt the pain as she cut deeper. Deeper. She was always distracted. By the time she came out of her daze, there was too much blood to hide. She put away the crimson-stained blade and stumbled out of the room, making a break for the nearby bathroom and praying it would be empty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back