• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Kaizoic: Earth Reborn

"You do that." Rufus kept pace with him in a stroll showing his newfound ease of their situation. "I'll be drinking to make my rest all the more easy."

The scenery around them was primeval, but somewhat familiar. Among the building-sized tropical trees of titanic proportions, there were smaller trees of pine-straw and birch relativity.
It was a clash of prehistory and 'modernity' in the eyes of the two men. Strange, but beautiful.

The dense vegetation around the road made it immensely tough for the sunlight to pierce through the jungle. But occasionally, a ray of light would shine through the canopy of tall trees. After being in a cave for so long, it felt almost heavenly to bask in the sunlight, even if it was so rare.

Kairo rolled his eyes.“Yeah. As long as you don’t fuck a dinosaur girl.” He teased, a shitfaced grin making its way onto his expression.

Rufus raised a brow at him. Whatever he was planning to say, he decided otherwise.

"Says a lot about you, seeing that you brought it up first." He chided snidely, readjusting the belt loop holding his helmet.

“Hey! I’m just saying that you seem the type.” He said in defence. Raising his arms in a stretch.

“You can’t say I’m wrong.”

"I most certainly can seeing as my first encounter with a dinosaur involved attempted murder." Rufus pointed out.
"Right now, I want a shot of whiskey instead of a tall drink of water, if you catch my meaning."

The two Noah refugees soon found a clearing where at the distant split in the road, there stood a humble building of wooden planks and what looked to be strapped down straw for a roof.
A sign hung from a post displaying a campfire with a cauldron resting in the flames. Words were accompanying the image in an unknown language, but given prior infornation; they probably read 'Traveler's Rest'.

Rufus smiled at the quaint appearance.
"Gotta admit. Nice to see something NOT made of metal and tech. You know?"

“Yeah.” Kairo replied, eyes glued on the building. The travelers rest was something to truly behold. The structure that closely resembled a hut was wildly different from any building he’d seen in his life. It was safe to say that wood and straw were materials of the past, seeing them here made him begin to question that.
“Looks like we’ve went back in time or something.”

He found a smile appear on his face at the sight of the rest. They’d finally reach their destination. His sore muscles ached for the comfort of a warm bed and a shower.

Like a giddy child, Kairo grabbed Rufus arm and began pulling him towards the rest.
“C’mon, I’m craving that shot of whiskey too.”

His companion swiftly snatched his arm from Kairo's grasp.
"What am I? Your date? Don't snag me like that." He flicked his finger on Kairo's forehead with a roll of his eyes.
The ex-smuggler pressed on with his hands nesting in his pants pockets.

He recoiled a tiny bit, realizing that he’d let his excitement get the better of him.
“Right. Sorry!” He said, following behind. “Just happy is all.”

"Not a big deal." He waved Kairo off as they ascended the small set of stairs leading to a door clearly designed for Bom's large race.
No knob, so Rufus merely pushed open the entrance to behold the tavern interior.
Almost a dozen tables of reasonable size, four of which were positioned near an empty fireplace. Two Kendians sat near a window made of a see-through fabric, most likely to keep insects out.
The two large saurians were a mossy-green color wearing tribalistic robes made of cloth and ornate body paint across their solid forms.
They watched the humans enter with curiosity and no small amount of suspicion.

Rufus did not acknowledge their looks for long, only moving straight for the bar and scanning the interior for someone to serve a drink.

Kairo on the other hand, quickly caught on to the saurians caution. It bothered him slightly, but he tried his best to keep it hidden. Still, he found it tough not to make an occasional glance at the two.

All his worries seemed to fade away though as he got closer to the bar. Finally, he could let loose and relax from everything that’s happened. Ever since the Guest had kidnapped him, he hadn’t gotten a single break.

He sits down on the bar stool, riveting in the comfort of not walking..

Rufus tapped a knuckle on the counter to call attention to he and Kairo's presence. Sounds of movement came from a door behind the bar and shortly after a young woman stepped into the open. Noticeably tall and with a fit form, she was very pleasant in appearance. Her tanned skin complimented her black hair that reached her lower back. Green eyes graced her face, but a stern look maintained upon it.

She saw the two.
"Don't get humans in here a lot." She stated blankly, her demeanor fierce but placid.
"What do you want?"

The women’s towering height meant Kairo had to tilt his head up slightly to meet her at eye level. Even with the elevated bar stool that he sat on. Her features had a certain charming flare, even when they were glaring him down like he was some street thug. Simply put, she was pretty damn hot.

Kairo looked at her for a second to long before realizing what he was doing. He quickly looked back at the selection of drinks behind her instead, hoping she didn’t notice how awkward he was being.
“Uh...what do you recommend?” He asked, -a nervous smile on his face.

"Water or anything mixed with Ironbark fruit." She replied blankly. "Most everything else is meant for Archos and is damaging to humans."

Rufus had a suave grin plastered on his face since the moment she stepped into view.
"I'll try the fruit drink." He requested.

"Three bits." The woman tapped on the counter with her nail.

"See, we're a bit short of cash-"

"No tabs. No charity." She snapped. "You can't pay? Get out."

"Let me explain, please." He chuckled. "See, my friend and I are merchants from out West, and we had a run-in with . . ." He looked at Kairo. "What were those things called, again?"

Kairo raised his eyebrows, slightly confused as to why Rufus was spinning such a lie. There must have been some reason, so he’d play along with it for now.

“You mean the Tyravi?” He said. Not saying much more. He wanted to see how Rufus would deal with this.

The woman's eyes widened a bit.
"And how are you alive?" She asked, glancing between the two.
Loose strands of hair hung over her eyes, which she quickly brushed away softly.

"We were practically rescued by this big fella." He paused. "Bom I think his name was. Referred us here, ans said someone named Cräga would help us out."

She leaned over the counter.
"Well you found me. So Bom sent you here? And . . . What? That gets you free drinks?"

"Well I hope, but a room for the night would be preferable." He smiled.

She smirked with a lack of amusement as it attempted charm.
"Given your story, I think that can be arranged." She directed her gaze to Kairo.
"He telling the truth?"

“Hmm? Oh yeah. 100 percent.” Kairo answered. The merchant part was definitely pushing the truth, but he wasn’t going to rat that out. Especially when him and Rufus were so close to a getting a room. “Sadly we don’t have battle scars to prove it.” He joked, perching his folded arms on the counter.

"I got some. Not from the Tyravi, anyway." Rufus smiled at Cräga.

"You can cut that crap out now." She warned.
"Rooms are upstairs. You pick one, and fall in the bed for the night.
Complimentary are at 8:30 at night and 8:30 in the morning. Anything in between will cost you."

"Sounds fair." Rufus shrugged. "What about those drinks, hmm?"

"Don't push it."

“No drinks. Got it.” He answered. Nodding his head to emphasize the point. He wasn’t going to let a drink come in his way from getting a bed to sleep in.

“Thanks Cräga. You’ve got no clue how much I needed a warm place to sleep.” He said, before turning to Rufus. “He appreciates it too.” He looked back at Cräga, a finger pointed at Rufus. “Just isn’t too good at showing it is all.”

"Just don't make a ruckus up there." She started wiping down the counter. "Folk around here don't like being woken up."
She looked at the sunlight still shining brightly outside, knowing well how likely it was that a majority of the visiting Kendians would be napping the day away.

Rufus stomped into the humbly decorated room, and kicked off his boots. He then let out a most relieved sigh as he sat down atop the soft bed with only socks on his feet.

"Kairo . . ." He said to his companion with a wiggle of his toes. "Few things feel better than taking off shoes after a long walk." He laughed in serenity at his current comfort.

“Mmm for sure.” He mumbled nonchalantly, kicking off his own boots. He made a beeline to the second bed, and quickly plopped face first onto the comforting mattress. He sprawled his arms out, giving out a sigh in relief. “But falling in bed after a long walk is even better.” He said, his voice muffled by the sheets on the bed.

He stayed there for a few moments, letting his muscles and mind just drift away. It felt like ages since he’d slept in any sort of bed. Let alone a comfortable one. Revelling in the feeling, he probably would have slept right now if it wasn’t for the fact that it was the middle of the day.

Besides the new sheets, there was something else that he seemed to be excited about too. He usually wasn’t the type to swoon over girls, but Cräga was undeniably an outlier. Not just in looks, but also her composure and strength. Kairo didn’t think he’d met anyone like her in his life.
“That Cräga girl.” He turned his head, so as not to speak into the mattress. “She’s really something else huh?”

"Oh yeah." Rufus stretched comfortably. "Was not expecting a girl who works an inn for lizards to look like that.
That's for damn sure." He grinned and laid down on the bed.

"Christ I can't remember the last time I slept on a bed."

Silence passed.

"Oh yeah. It was three weeks before the launch."

“You could’ve taken a bed at camp.” He mumbled.

It had been just a few days since he’d last slept on a bed, and he had already missed the feeling overwhelmingly. He couldn’t imagine what months of shitty sleep would have done to him.

With his eyelids getting droopy, he decided to sit up on the bed. There would be time to sleep later in the night.

“Maybe you’ve gotten used to sleeping like a homeless man. ” He said, in between something that was half laugh, and half yawn.

"Live the majority of your life ducking from hired guns and Republic stooges, and you'd take safety over comfort too.
To me, it's become habit." He got comfortable.
"Be a good one to break if this is how I'll be sleeping." He smiled in bliss atop the straw-stuffed bed.

Muffled sounds of a door opening and barefeet walking on the floor below faintly came to the two's ears.
Cräga briefly conversed with the new guest to the inn before a reply was given in another language. Seconds later, the same footsteps ascended the stairs and passed their room on the way to the owner's destination.
Whoever it was, they were now Kairo and Rufus's neighbor, and from the sounds of a body collapsing on a bed, they shared a common exhaustion.

“We’re gonna need money for that.” He said. “Don’t think anyone else would be willing to give us a room for free.”

There was a slight pause, before Kairo heard the sound of someone crashing on the bed through the thin wall.

“Wonder who that is”

Rufus had his eyes closed.
"Either a drunk or a drifter like we are now.

Back home, there were spots like this on the highways. If I'm right, there'll be some odd jobs in that village Bom mentioned we can do to earn a living until we figure our next steps."
He folded his hands behind his head.
"What was the name of that place, again?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back