• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Kaizoic: Earth Reborn

Kairo acknowledged his presence with a slight nod, before he took out one more coin from the box. He made sure the lid was blocking Vincents view of the contents in the box, as he didn't feel like flaunting this stuff around. Then again, bringing the box in itself would have raised alarm bells for Vincent. He walked up to the counter in the front, putting the jewel encrusted coin on the table. "The coins at your front desk, now I'm just waiting on the ring." He said, turning around and leaning on the side of the table.

Vincent climbed down and plucked up the coin for inspection. As though certain it were fake, he bit down on it to see if it would bend under pressure.
When it didn’t, he shook his head in disbelief.

“I’ll go get it.” He sighed, and turned for the back room. Moments later, he returned with the Kendalt family ring in hand to set it on the counter.
“I still have no clue how you got those things.” He commented, but not disappointed at having acquired them himself .

"Hey, lets just say I got lucky." He said nonchalantly taking the ring. He slid it on his finger. The ring felt cold on his skin, a sensation that made him feel like he definitely shouldn't own something this expensive. It did look nice on him though, and the historical significance of the thing was an added bonus for sure.

"Pleasure doing business with ya." He said, trying to sound as professional as he could. He glanced back at the pile of equipment he'd left on the floor as well. Yeah that was definitely going to be pain to haul back. "You mind if a grab a backpack too?" He asked.

Vincent had both coins in each hand and was grinning like a boy would on Christmas morning, if there even was anything comparable to Christmas anymore.

“Yeah, sure.” He said. “It’s on the house.”

Darrek chuckled at the short man’s state of overwhelming.

Kairo smiled, going back to the shelves. Just a few moments later he came back with a bag large enough to carry most of the stuff. Still, as he began packing everything up, he realized that not everything would be able to fit. He decided to put the vambraces on just so he had enough space for everything else.

“I look homeless.” Kairo joked, looking at Darrek. “Ehhh, then again I technically am.”

Darrek chuckled. “Yeah, technically.” He glanced at Kairo’s new accessories. “You look like an authentic wanderer now.”

The two left the store and emerged back on the steadily busy streets of Drafisl.

“So what’s with the ring?” Darrek asked, pointing a claw to the recent purchase.

“Oh this?” Kairo held up his hand to glance at the thing. It had been a long time since he’d been able to purchase something out of want instead of need.

“eh, just thought it looked good on me.” Kairo shrugged. “probably not the best use of money buuut.” He shaked the box, still filled with coins. “I got a lot of that on me right now.”

Darrek smirked again. “Rolling in it, except you just bought out the only place you can spend it.” He teased as he began walking down the main street, uncaring of the still-wet mud squelching between his clawed feet.

Kairo let out a short laugh at that. The one moment he had money in his life there was no place to spend it. How ironic.
“Speaking of the money, I gotta find a place to put this shit. I’m sure a lot of people here would wanna take this if they knew what was inside.”

“Only one who would try is in there.” Darrek pointed to the General Store. “And me of course, but you pretty much paid me off so there’s that.”

The two were now reaching the gates of Drafisl, leading back to the Traveler’s Rest. Darrek however, was not watching where he was going as he was speaking with Kairo. So he did not see the pile of manure he was soon to step in.

“I’m surprised you didn’t take more.” Kairo said truthfully. He was willing to offer the irokai way more then just 2 coins. Considering that box was filled to the brim with these things.

“Might give some to the others to- woah!” Kairo put an arm in front of Darrek, effectively telling the man to stop. “You’re gonna step in shit.” He said, face deadpan.

Darrek glanced in front of him.

“Oh.” His eyes widened. “Thanks.”
The Irokai cautiously stepped around the fecal pile and coughed awkwardly.
“So what now?” He asked Kairo. “Anything planned for today besides shopping?”

Kairo wasn’t quite sure of what the answer to that was. He wasn’t expecting to have made enough for their trip back to camp so quickly. He’d imagined that he would of been working until Rufus came back. Now with this much free time, he wasn’t entirely sure what to do.

Kairo shrugged. “Well technically I wasn’t planning on shopping anyway.” He said, idly kicking a rock on the gravel road. “I might practice with the crossbow a bit. I’ve never used anything like before the fight with Bazin.”

“Well I’ve used rifles, but I’m a lousy shot.” Darrek said. “Otherwise I’d be happy to teach you some things. I think Rufus would be the best one to teach you, if we’re being honest.”
He fell silent.
“How bout lunch? Cräga probably has a stew going.”

At the mention of lunch, Kairo quickly remembered that he hadn’t eaten anything since last night. Rufus, that dumbass, decided that he would go out and start his job first before even touching his food. He hoped the man wasn’t going hungry now.

Kairo licked his lips. “‘Mmmmm. Yeah I like that idea.” Kairo said. “You think she’s willing take gold as payment?”

Darrek glanced at the gates, then back into town. A knowing smirk crept over his scaly lips.

“I have a feeling it won’t cost anything.” He assured with a pat on Kairo’s back. “Come on, I’m about to take a nap anyway. May as well get some food prior.”

Darrek chuckled and started making his own way back toward the Traveler’s Rest. Along the way out of town they passed other wanderers of both man and Vindav, most likely going into town for supplies before moving on. A few looked to be traders carrying wagons of crates and unknown product.
The coming of the Kendians and the yet unnamed holiday sent Drafisl into a state if traffic.

It was not long before the two were back on the doorstep of Cräga’s inn, and Darrek entered first.

The short walk back became even more congested with merchants and travellers than in the morning, giving the street a very lively atmosphere. The lively buzz was completely unlike the silence on these roads when they’d first arrived. It made the walk past much faster than expected.

When the two got there, Kairo followed Darrek into the rest.

Bom and Dracon were sitting at the bar with Cräga standing behind. The three were engaged in conversation up until the two entered.
Dracon glanced back and saw Kairo and Darrek. Without any other discernible response he nodded to Bom and Cräga, and called upstairs by clicking his tongue against his teeth.
Responsively; Frederick, Ezekiel, and Leonard bounded down the stairs to crawl back atop their master’s back as he left the Rest.

When he passed Darrek, he made no acknowledgement of his presence. However, when passing Kairo, the hermit Irokai made a red-eyed glance down to the man’s hand and stopped for a moment.
Just long enough to look at his ring before staring Kairo in the eyes, the scarlett colored irises of Dracon piercing into his soul almost.
With no words, he continued and left the Rest.

Darrek had already sat at the bar at this point.

The sight of Dracon made Kairo tense up slightly in apprehension, clearly remembering what the Irokai had done during their last encounter. He had no clue how to feel about that man, one second he's saving his ass and the next he's slamming his best friend into the door. There was just too little known about the Irokai, for Kairo to feel safe around him. When Dracon made a motion to leave, he felt oddly relieved.

The Irokai's quick glance at the ring, then back up at Kairo, didn't go unnoticed either. He'd expected Dracon to have left without acknowledging them, but instead he was met with the piercing and unnerving gaze of scarlet eyes. It was intimidating, and completely uncalled for, the emotions that Kairo's eyes portrayed as he glanced back at Dracon. Did he disapprove of the ring, or was it something deeper than that? Whatever it was, having the attention of Dracon, let alone something this negative was never good.

He stood still, head tilted back as he watched the Irokai leaving, until he was left alone with his thoughts. He looked quite conflicted as he took the seat next to Darrek.
"Bom...Cräga" He greeted, trying his best to sound his normal self even after all that. "Me and Darrek are here to take all your food!"

Bom laughed heartily and Darrek chuckled.
Even Cräga smiled.
“Perfect timing. I just got a request from in town.” She retreated to the back kitchen. “Tarlim was up here earlier. Said to give you this as a thank you.” She said as sounds of cluttering pans banged from within.

Darrek sniffed the air, and hummed in appreciation for the smells his keen senses detected.

Kairo smiled a bit at his own joke as well. It really wasn't anything that funny, but seeing Cräga actually smile for once did make him feel a bit more confident.

"Huh...." Kairo answered, clearly surprised as Cräga mentioned another gift. "Didn't think Tarlim could be any more generous than he's already been."

“Gratefulness takes many forms, youngling.” Bom commented as Cräga returned with a cast iron platter with a makeshift cover over it.

She set the meal in front of Kairo, the smells of spices and smoked meat filling his nostrils.
“He cleaned it and brought the rest for you since he’s allergic.” Was Cräga’s final statement on the dish before taking off the metallic dome to reveal the gifted meal.

The blue-green Pouncer Wasp was resting on its back in a plate of boiled leafy greens and spiced broth with its head missing and its legs coiled into its body. The colors of its armored shell were more vibrant from the boiling, and it smelled like a mixture of crab meat and dry smoke.

“Damn Cräga.” Darrek visibly dripped saliva from his teeth. “When did you learn to cook Poynca?”

The long-haired woman shrugged. “Not that different from Placoderm or River Mussel.”

"Wow." He drawled out, the last thing Kairo expected Cräga to bring out was the wasp he'd killed earlier.

The man eyeballed the dish, it was definitely exotic that was for sure. Then again, nothing in this darn planet was the way he was used to anymore. He had to give Cräga some credit for her expertise cooking though, as the dish definitely smelled much better than it looked. Not that it looked back either, the plating and presentation were beautiful. Kairo was just slightly put aback by the fact that this thing was trying to kill him a few hours earlier.

Still, even if Kairo wasn't sure how to feel about the dish, he was still going to eat it. "Smell's delicious." He said, that was true. "But I can't finish that thing alone....this meal wasn't made for one." He added, looking at the three with a smile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back