• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy JRPG-Inspired Roleplay

_Line 213

| || || | __
So, I've been looking for something in this sort of vein for a while now, and seeing as nothing has really flowered, I've decided to try and put something together myself.

What I'm hoping to put together here is a JRPG inspired roleplay in which we pass the GM title amongst ourselves from time to time to ensure that everyone has the chance to both lead the story and play the story. Allow me to break this down a bit to really get into the meat of what I mean, and don't panic quite yet if it seems scary.

Ideally--at least in my mind--if someone is GMing a story, their character should take something of a backseat to whatever is going on so that the story isn't solely about them. Additionally, there are often times where people want to turn their brain off and experience what other people have to offer without having to worry about GMing or anything, or times when players come up with great ideas for arcs or locations that they want to explore as a GM and not just as a player. To facilitate all these things, I'd like it if those who join in are willing to pitch their hat into the GM ring every so often so that myself and others have the chance to sit back and experience the story without worrying about conflicts of interest and the like. The frequency of the passing of the mantle is something that we can decide on together, or it can be something more freeform that happens whenever someone else has a cool idea they want to spring on the group, or whenever someone else decides that they're finished with the mantle and want to take a break.

If people are interested in this roleplay as a whole, but no one at all wants to be a part of the GMing stuff, I suppose I can do it all myself anyway, since the urge to make this happen is strong. People will still be encouraged to take up the mantle for a while if they so wish.

Regardless of whether or not people are interested, there are a few collaborative elements that I would like to maintain, namely a group discussion for worldbuilding, and a group discussion for how we want our quest to start out; the first is for the sake of allowing everyone to develop a vested interest in the world with characters and locations that they're looking forward to seeing or introducing to players over the course of the story, and the second is for the sake of negotiating a starting scenario and party that feels like it can bring everyone's individual character concepts together. Potential starting influences, at least for me, include things like the Tales Of series, Dragon Quest, and some of the less high-tech Final Fantasy games (Crystal Chronicles comes to mind, for instance), though inspirations are of course negotiable once we all arrive at the table together.

I should also note that there won't be any actual RPG mechanics involved unless there is overwhelming demand for them. We're primarily going for feel here.

If you're at all interested, please say so below.

Now, this does seem interesting. I dont mind gming, either, i just cant say how regularly i can take on that spot. I tend to have surges of ideas that i then work out, but i cant really come up with something to start intentionally.

Now, this does seem interesting. I dont mind gming, either, i just cant say how regularly i can take on that spot. I tend to have surges of ideas that i then work out, but i cant really come up with something to start intentionally.

Feeding ideas to other people to take on is also perfectly acceptable; if there are things that people want to see or feel would help them engage more with the story, then voicing that is totally encouraged as well.

I mean really in the end players should be contributing to the story without needing the 'role' of GM. Honestly the best way to accomplish the effect of being able to take part without being the one in control is probably best left to having a co-gm and then allowing the players all contribute their own ideas and play their own parts. i suppose in a way that is "GMing' if they are taking the roles of NPC or leading some action but eh....

The most important thing I think if you want to do such an idea is to establish a general world idea and a main plot thread. From there it can easily be left to the players to help create particular elements of the world and help fill out the fine details. Like "Find the 7 Dragonballs to summon the Dragon" (shush I just finished watching DBZA :P ) is a good general idea with plenty of room for other things to be filled in, and naturally more depth can be inserted in as it develops not just from the GM but also the players that can make things more intricate.

This seems interesting. I wouldn't mind "GMing" and contributing to the story line from time to time.

I mean really in the end players should be contributing to the story without needing the 'role' of GM. Honestly the best way to accomplish the effect of being able to take part without being the one in control is probably best left to having a co-gm and then allowing the players all contribute their own ideas and play their own parts. i suppose in a way that is "GMing' if they are taking the roles of NPC or leading some action but eh....

The most important thing I think if you want to do such an idea is to establish a general world idea and a main plot thread. From there it can easily be left to the players to help create particular elements of the world and help fill out the fine details. Like "Find the 7 Dragonballs to summon the Dragon" (shush I just finished watching DBZA :P ) is a good general idea with plenty of room for other things to be filled in, and naturally more depth can be inserted in as it develops not just from the GM but also the players that can make things more intricate.

Normally I'd set everything up beforehand, but in this case I want to try having the players in on the ground floor; if we end up stuck, I can always come up with a framework rather easily. The more player investment there is in the setting, I find, the more fun everyone has. I was even thinking of borrowing the idea generation apparatus from a PnP game called FATE Core, but I'll explain how all of that works once we're hashing ideas out together.

A GM / Co-GM route is fine if people would rather go with that, but I also want to experiment with communal, revolving additions before we resort to that, unless people would rather go that route right away.

Normally I'd set everything up beforehand, but in this case I want to try having the players in on the ground floor; if we end up stuck, I can always come up with a framework rather easily. The more player investment there is in the setting, I find, the more fun everyone has. I was even thinking of borrowing the idea generation apparatus from a PnP game called FATE Core, but I'll explain how all of that works once we're hashing ideas out together.

A GM / Co-GM route is fine if people would rather go with that, but I also want to experiment with communal, revolving additions before we resort to that, unless people would rather go that route right away.

If your okay with it, i don't mind contributing some ideas both based and inspired by works like Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy, if that's the kind of JRPG style your thinking of, either way, it will be an awesome experience to be part of this RP :].

If your okay with it, i don't mind contributing some ideas both based and inspired by works like Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy, if that's the kind of JRPG style your thinking of, either way, it will be an awesome experience to be part of this RP :].
Ive played neither of those, tbh.

I think the only real jrp i ever played were pretty much all Dragon Quest games. And Fire Emblem.

We can also slowly ease up to the main plot. It doesn't have to be set in stone from the beginning. But I do think like a main bad guy should be established whether it is a strong Demon-lord or a diabolical evil genius trying to destroy all the world.

The Fluffiest Floof The Fluffiest Floof I love both those games, and FF too~

Tis fine, though I just think a small general plot devise tends to work well. I wasn't meaning complicated I meant like "Saving the world from an Asteroid" or "Stopping the Dark Lord from Reviving" or "Stopping a war between nations", or heck "World is set to end in a week, find a way to stop it" Very general idea with plenty of room for stuff to be adapted or developed. XD

Though since it was brought up, it probably would be good to define the general setting that will be shot for, in terms of fantasy, sci-fi, steampunk, magic based, ect. That could always be easily discussed and figured out though as a group but still probably the best first step to take. XD

A planning / OOC discord can now be found here. I'll be fiddling with it a bit as we go, and we can talk more about worldbuilding stuff there once people trickle in.

I guess I'd like to join as well, I'm already somewhat GMing in a different RP that wasn't made by me as well, so I guess I can contribute as much as I can for y'all. A small party travelling around the world to fulfill a quest? Count me in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back