• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Journey of Two Bows (w/ Dragonborn1)

Tending to a growing flame in a small firepit, Peanut sat a hundred or so feet from the cave and readied to roast a few foraged materials on her sword. She was lucky. Most of the area had been picked clean of things to eat, but this time of year there were some gooseberries and blueberries available. There were no nuts yet ready, being early summer, and she was not overly fond of gooseberries when raw, so she hoped spitting them with her smallsword and heating them over a smoky fire would bring some life to her palate.

She leaned back against a half-rotted log and toyed with her tail, the rejection still fresh in her mind from not even an hour ago. Looking over to her instrument was bittersweet. She wanted to play a melody, but the sorrow from before remained. Perhaps roaming on her own on this quest of hers was a bad idea after all. She knew her old comrades would still be there for her, but perhaps they had moved on to a different town. If she could Scry them, maybe it would be easy, but she did not find much use of the cracked orb she used for such. Sometimes the orb worked, sometimes it didn't for any number of reasons, too hot, too dry, too wet, too noisy. It was the only one she could come across, and it was frustrating to work with, so she stopped bothering to try it.

Looking back at the cave ponderously yielded an interesting result, causing her to squint. Was that Scout? Perhaps he was going off to scout like his name suggested, though his gear seemed a little odd for scouting. She kept an eye on him for a time, bafflement written within her eyes, then looked back at her gooseberries. Some had burst open from the heat and were ruined. She retrieved her sword from the fire and blew on the remainders intensely. There went a delicious bite to ea, but hopefully the rest were salvageable.
Scout stormed by the cave entrance not paying attention to Peanut.
Pushing past the torn curtains obscuring his den, Scout let out a shrill cry. Stupid, stupid, stupid! Why was it always him who was blamed?
Hagnar had to be behind it…
Scout secluded himself in the corner with his knees being used as a headrest. Sobbing with tears soaking his knees the crying muffled by his knees. A long while after his break down, Scout began to pull himself together and grabbed a sack to stuff random objects less liked than his violin.
His last item is a book about dragons which he quickly stuffed into the sack. He sent a study stick to hold it up and rested it onto his back.

Again, a walk of shame is witnessed by everyone in the den. From what Scout could see no kobolds had a reaction to Scout walking by.
One kobold he saw Scout knew he’d show up to witness the humiliation. Hagnar’s expression is smug with victory.

Bitter about the loss of her berries, Peanut pocketed the remainders away for safe keeping and kept the fire lit as she went back to the cave, looking for a merchant or a chef who could sell her some foods. She did find one, a gnarly-toothed individual with a song in his heart and mouth for bubbling pots and pans. Looking her up and down and easily recognising her as an outsider, he proffered some rations he did not intend to use for a marked-up price, but Peanut's cravings outweighed all thought of bargaining.

Taking her newfound goods, including a head of cabbage and a broken-into bag of flour, into both arms, she migrated back to the entrance when she witnessed Scout. Her eyes could not help but look at him with curiousness and sadness. What caused him to look so dejected?

Hagnar leaned against the entrance behind the two guarding kobolds, glancing over to Scout with a horrible look of victory. With a smile he said as calmly as ever, "Best of luck out there. You'll need it to survive the wilds and to be a better musician than me in one week."

Peanut's snout wrinkled in disgust witnessing this, not knowing the context but definitely not caring about his attitude. Scout carried on him a bundle on a stick. Was he leaving for a week? She wanted to march right up to the master bard and strongly poke his nose, dropping all of her goods to do so, but she instead applied a more tactical approach.

"What's all this about, then?" she called out when getting close, offering a sugary smile at the two.

Hagnar, realising that he was overheard, shook his head and replied, "Nothing of too much note. You'd best be off, traveller."

Peanut too shook her head and glanced over to the master bard, saying, "I'm sorry, Master Hagnar, but the question was intended for Scout here."

His mood spoiled, Hagnar walked away a short ways and slumped against the wall again, however he remained still close enough to listen in. With him out of the way, Peanut would listen to Scout's explanation with open ears, and look at him inquisitively with her large blue eyes.

Bitter about the loss of her berries, Peanut pocketed the remainders away for safe keeping and kept the fire lit as she went back to the cave, looking for a merchant or a chef who could sell her some foods. She did find one, a gnarly-toothed individual with a song in his heart and mouth for bubbling pots and pans. Looking her up and down and easily recognising her as an outsider, he proffered some rations he did not intend to use for a marked-up price, but Peanut's cravings outweighed all thought of bargaining.

Taking her newfound goods, including a head of cabbage and a broken-into bag of flour, into both arms, she migrated back to the entrance when she witnessed Scout. Her eyes could not help but look at him with curiousness and sadness. What caused him to look so dejected?

Hagnar leaned against the entrance behind the two guarding kobolds, glancing over to Scout with a horrible look of victory. With a smile he said as calmly as ever, "Best of luck out there. You'll need it to survive the wilds and to be a better musician than me in one week."

Peanut's snout wrinkled in disgust witnessing this, not knowing the context but definitely not caring about his attitude. Scout carried on him a bundle on a stick. Was he leaving for a week? She wanted to march right up to the master bard and strongly poke his nose, dropping all of her goods to do so, but she instead applied a more tactical approach.

"What's all this about, then?" she called out when getting close, offering a sugary smile at the two.

Hagnar, realising that he was overheard, shook his head and replied, "Nothing of too much note. You'd best be off, traveller."

Peanut too shook her head and glanced over to the master bard, saying, "I'm sorry, Master Hagnar, but the question was intended for Scout here."

His mood spoiled, Hagnar walked away a short ways and slumped against the wall again, however he remained still close enough to listen in. With him out of the way, Peanut would listen to Scout's explanation with open ears, and look at him inquisitively with her large blue eyes.
Scout recognized the voice, it’s the kobold he guided earlier. Scout gave her a weak smile which betrayed how he looked with droopy ears.

”Scout was framed. Scout‘s being kicked out for punching another kobold. But Scout saw them break into Scout’s den, and now Scout is the one getting kicked out!“

Peanut followed Scout’s gaze to Hagnar.

”Scout suspects Hagnar put them up to it. Hagnar even took Scout’s insturment as punishment!”

He explained, Scout turned away from Peanut, starting his trip as his figure got smaller in the distance.

Learning all of this from Scout, Peanut watched as the youth walked away and thrust a stabbing glance toward the master bard. The other brushed it off with the roll of his eyes. Could he have done something so low as to put the others into action, or so rude as to take his instrument away? If she had to be honest, armed with no other knowledge of Hagnar except for their brief exchanges, she would say that it was possible.

"Perhaps you can enlighten me why you would strip a kin of his instrument, Master Hagnar?" Peanut did not even try to hide the barbs in her speech. "He did seem fond of song."

"There is a difference between prattle and song," replied Hagnar, shrugging. "He is better off for it not taking his violin in its state, and when he gets back he can play it at his leisure. The young Scout is trouble and needs guidance. A brief exile will teach him such."

Peanut's muzzle curled, eyes lighting up as she stated in command, "His instrument, now. Give it here so I may give it to him."

"Oh? And why should I listen to you, aspirant? Do you not want my approval? You seek a master bard status yourself, yes?"

Peanut flashed a smile and said, "I have my ways."

-- -- -- -- --

About two minutes later, Peanut stepped out of the entrance with Scout's instrument held by the neck, holding her head proudly as she ran in Scout's direction. It might take a little while to catch up to him, and if passing her campfire she would leave her instrument unattended to do so.

"Scout! Over here! I got something for you!" she would call over the distance should she catch up, waving his instrument over her head.

Learning all of this from Scout, Peanut watched as the youth walked away and thrust a stabbing glance toward the master bard. The other brushed it off with the roll of his eyes. Could he have done something so low as to put the others into action, or so rude as to take his instrument away? If she had to be honest, armed with no other knowledge of Hagnar except for their brief exchanges, she would say that it was possible.

"Perhaps you can enlighten me why you would strip a kin of his instrument, Master Hagnar?" Peanut did not even try to hide the barbs in her speech. "He did seem fond of song."

"There is a difference between prattle and song," replied Hagnar, shrugging. "He is better off for it not taking his violin in its state, and when he gets back he can play it at his leisure. The young Scout is trouble and needs guidance. A brief exile will teach him such."

Peanut's muzzle curled, eyes lighting up as she stated in command, "His instrument, now. Give it here so I may give it to him."

"Oh? And why should I listen to you, aspirant? Do you not want my approval? You seek a master bard status yourself, yes?"

Peanut flashed a smile and said, "I have my ways."

-- -- -- -- --

About two minutes later, Peanut stepped out of the entrance with Scout's instrument held by the neck, holding her head proudly as she ran in Scout's direction. It might take a little while to catch up to him, and if passing her campfire she would leave her instrument unattended to do so.

"Scout! Over here! I got something for you!" she would call over the distance should she catch up, waving his instrument over her head.
Scout overheard the sounds of someone calling out. He turned around just in time seeing Peanut rushing over, Scout’s eyes grew wide seeing his prized possession grabbing his violin and giving a big hug.
The kobold squeezed it lovingly and glanced back at Peaunt with an embarrassed expressio, clearing his throat and had to fight the urge of giving her a hug too.

“How did you manage to convince Hagnar to give it back?“

Scout asked, giving the strings a small pluck with its saddened tone.
Right when he did however, the string snapped, then another, and the neck of the instrument snapped in two pulling apart the other strings…

Peanut originally felt quite pleased when witnessing the reunion between instrument and musician, knowing the joy that can be found between the two herself. She carried it carefully, the poor thing at the last of its rope, but still intact enough to be played. Then catastrophe struck, and the instrument snapped in twain. Her heart sank, her hand reached out, but the wood was corroded in such a way that the violin was unsalvageable and there was nothing she could do. No amount of Mending could work.

She raised her hand to her head in sadness, replying, "I cast magic on him and those around him, to be honest. In a day's time he may realise what he did, but I doubt it, not that it matters anymore. I'm sorry, Scout."

She bit down on her scaly cheek, unsure of what to do or say otherwise, then was thunderstruck by an idea.

"Um . . . I can get you a new instrument. I know a guy, Tupper by name, who sells instruments in a shop three days from here, selling viols and other instruments with bows. It's a little farther than where I need to be, but it's in the right direction. Say the word and I'll accompany you there. It's the least I can do to make amends. Sadly there is nothing I can do to fix yours."

Peanut originally felt quite pleased when witnessing the reunion between instrument and musician, knowing the joy that can be found between the two herself. She carried it carefully, the poor thing at the last of its rope, but still intact enough to be played. Then catastrophe struck, and the instrument snapped in twain. Her heart sank, her hand reached out, but the wood was corroded in such a way that the violin was unsalvageable and there was nothing she could do. No amount of Mending could work.

She raised her hand to her head in sadness, replying, "I cast magic on him and those around him, to be honest. In a day's time he may realise what he did, but I doubt it, not that it matters anymore. I'm sorry, Scout."

She bit down on her scaly cheek, unsure of what to do or say otherwise, then was thunderstruck by an idea.

"Um . . . I can get you a new instrument. I know a guy, Tupper by name, who sells instruments in a shop three days from here, selling viols and other instruments with bows. It's a little farther than where I need to be, but it's in the right direction. Say the word and I'll accompany you there. It's the least I can do to make amends. Sadly there is nothing I can do to fix yours."
“Scout is pretty numb at this point…”

He stated, dropping the remaining piece to join the pile.
“What‘s the point? Scout getting a new instrument just to have it destroyed isn’t worth it. Why are you being so nice to a stranger such as Scout? Scout got exiled, and is gonna die out here you can go back to the den Scout will stay here…”

Scout’s voice got a depressed tone, all hope lost, facing away from Peanut’s gaze. Slinging the sack of his belongings onto his back he began to wander off again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Much later, a few hours since the trial, a short scratching of claws upon wood as someone was at the door
“Mr Hagnar? It’s me, Rex your advisor. Are you ok? I heard about what happened ever since Scout was kicked out, a pink kobold attacked you with a spell? I’m just checking in and I brought a doctor too.”

Peanut looked down at the miserable pile of what used to be a violin, her face somber, then with an artful flourish of her yellow cape and with an extended clawed hand she snagged Scout's arm.

"For the record, I'm not going back, except for the items at my fire. Even if he is the last master bard left, I wouldn't. The way he treated both of us was wrong, so I intend to do us both some good by getting you a proper instrument. Hide it from him, make sure he doesn't see it, and you'd do yourself a favour." Her eyes dug into his, unwavering and resolute, as a smile cropped up. "Also? I'm returning a favour to a good friend I've never met. Please allow me this. The price of a good instrument is nothing to an adventurer like myself."

She let him go shortly thereafter, awaiting his answer.

-- -- -- -- --

Hagnar glanced up from his lyre, his expression blank as if he were deeply engrossed. Something felt like it was odd or foreign, but he could not tell why. He shut himself in his room so that he could think straight, and the wrongness remained. However, his eyes darted up when Rex declared himself at the door with a strange piece of information. The pink one attacked him with a spell? How could this be? He never saw it.

"Come in, Rex, and be quick about it. The doctor too," he snapped, taking his instrument and setting it aside. "What do you mean, attacked? Do you know something I do not?"

It would be clear to Rex and perhaps the doctor, if either of them was the discerning type, that Hagnar was confused about their visit. Suggestion was a powerful spell that could alter the mind as if the thought provided were his own, but numerous remedies existed to bring the subject back to his full senses.

Peanut looked down at the miserable pile of what used to be a violin, her face somber, then with an artful flourish of her yellow cape and with an extended clawed hand she snagged Scout's arm.

"For the record, I'm not going back, except for the items at my fire. Even if he is the last master bard left, I wouldn't. The way he treated both of us was wrong, so I intend to do us both some good by getting you a proper instrument. Hide it from him, make sure he doesn't see it, and you'd do yourself a favour." Her eyes dug into his, unwavering and resolute, as a smile cropped up. "Also? I'm returning a favour to a good friend I've never met. Please allow me this. The price of a good instrument is nothing to an adventurer like myself."

She let him go shortly thereafter, awaiting his answer.

-- -- -- -- --

Hagnar glanced up from his lyre, his expression blank as if he were deeply engrossed. Something felt like it was odd or foreign, but he could not tell why. He shut himself in his room so that he could think straight, and the wrongness remained. However, his eyes darted up when Rex declared himself at the door with a strange piece of information. The pink one attacked him with a spell? How could this be? He never saw it.

"Come in, Rex, and be quick about it. The doctor too," he snapped, taking his instrument and setting it aside. "What do you mean, attacked? Do you know something I do not?"

It would be clear to Rex and perhaps the doctor, if either of them was the discerning type, that Hagnar was confused about their visit. Suggestion was a powerful spell that could alter the mind as if the thought provided were his own, but numerous remedies existed to bring the subject back to his full senses.
Scout’s eyes weighed heavily to combat Peanut’s stare. Scout‘s expression turned into a look similar to pondering. He did like the idea, he just doesn’t have money for one,two he’s not as skilled than others, and three what would he play?

Scout glanced up realizing he was lost in thought. He gave a nod but had a few concerns…

”Scout will follow you. Scout cannot go back after Scout’s time is up from exile. Scout wants to explore and write his own song. Scout is motivated to rub a adventurous song into Hagnar’s face.”
Scout says, his arms flailing and at one point slamming his fist into his palm. When finished with his concerns he outstretched his arms, not for a hug but for her thoughts.

The handle turned, Hagnar witnessed Rex and his companion walk inside. As Rex shut the door behind him the doctor set down his bag, a moment of fidgeting resulted in a light source being retrieved.
The doctor carefully extended Hagnar’s eyelids to shine the light to check their responses. Again, the doctor returned to his bag to continue fidgeting.

”Well I found you unconscious near the entrance I did. By that time I witnessed that pink kobold racing away with a violin barely hanging by a thread. I came to a conclusion that she had something to do with your condition.“

Rex explained, right when he finished the doctor accompanying Rex returned back to Hagnar. The doctor kobold preformed more tests as the two other kobolds talked.

”Speaking of which…didn’t that kobold getting accused of attacking someone own that violin I just mentioned? And speaking of that, how did that trial go?”

Peanut's tail flicked into an upright direction, excited as she was not only for him but for her as well. She tried to contain it, but a giddy squeal of excitement tore from the young kobold's throat as she took the hug anyway and swallowed him up into her arms. If she had any cool factor, it probably evaporated in that very instant.

"I'm glad! I'm very, very glad! You won't be disappointed for choosing this!" she zealously replied, stepping back a few steps. "Let's get you an instrument so you can write your own bard song. You can sing too, right? Right. Great! Stay here! I will get my viola and be back tout suite!"

With speed, she rushed back to collect her precious case and snuff the fire out, a wide smile on her face. This was better than travelling alone, and better still than what she thought was a tremendous feat of harpooning and eating a dolphin all by herself one fateful week. Yes, this was going to be a great time, she could feel it.

-- -- -- -- --

Hagnar grumbled as the pinpointed light was shown into his respective eyes, pupils dilating and growing normally.

"I am fine, but do not recall much of the exchange," he hissed, looking over to Rex and probably earning the scorn of the doctor as he was performing his duty. To be honest, he never cared for doctors or proximity, just adoration. "I was on the ground?"

Listening on, his eyes narrowed again, a revelation seemingly coming back to him. His hand reaching out to snare Rex by the shoulder after he was done speaking.

"The pink one, she ran off? She pulled one over on me. She cast Suggestion and I was forced to obey! Blast that aspirant! I will get her back one of these days when I find her. She will pay me back!"

Realising his agitation and excitement, he released Rex and leaned back. His eyes darted between the two.

"Thank you both. You have done well, but I need to think. Please leave. Now."

There was no pleasantry behind it, just a command, as he brooded in his chair.

Peanut's tail flicked into an upright direction, excited as she was not only for him but for her as well. She tried to contain it, but a giddy squeal of excitement tore from the young kobold's throat as she took the hug anyway and swallowed him up into her arms. If she had any cool factor, it probably evaporated in that very instant.

"I'm glad! I'm very, very glad! You won't be disappointed for choosing this!" she zealously replied, stepping back a few steps. "Let's get you an instrument so you can write your own bard song. You can sing too, right? Right. Great! Stay here! I will get my viola and be back tout suite!"

With speed, she rushed back to collect her precious case and snuff the fire out, a wide smile on her face. This was better than travelling alone, and better still than what she thought was a tremendous feat of harpooning and eating a dolphin all by herself one fateful week. Yes, this was going to be a great time, she could feel it.

-- -- -- -- --

Hagnar grumbled as the pinpointed light was shown into his respective eyes, pupils dilating and growing normally.

"I am fine, but do not recall much of the exchange," he hissed, looking over to Rex and probably earning the scorn of the doctor as he was performing his duty. To be honest, he never cared for doctors or proximity, just adoration. "I was on the ground?"

Listening on, his eyes narrowed again, a revelation seemingly coming back to him. His hand reaching out to snare Rex by the shoulder after he was done speaking.

"The pink one, she ran off? She pulled one over on me. She cast Suggestion and I was forced to obey! Blast that aspirant! I will get her back one of these days when I find her. She will pay me back!"

Realising his agitation and excitement, he released Rex and leaned back. His eyes darted between the two.

"Thank you both. You have done well, but I need to think. Please leave. Now."

There was no pleasantry behind it, just a command, as he brooded in his chair.
The sudden squeeze of Peanut hugging Scout prevented any oxygen to flow throughout his body. He couldn’t get a single word in with her rambling, wanting to be honest about the singing part. It embarrassed him that he couldn’t sing well…
The kobold watched his new friend scurry off towards the den. Again, left alone and hoped she would come back. In Scout’s memory Peanut might be his first friend…

Rex was pulled closer to Hagnar seeing his yellow eyes and the fine detail in his scales. But the adviser didn’t complain though his shoulder was being dug into.
”Actually sir, I witnessed the pink one set camp close by the dens entrance and walk out with food from the merchant.”

He explains, breathing a sigh with a rub of his shoulder when the pressure was finally relieved.

”Hagnar, with all due respect, you need to rest. The spell really sapped your energy. I suggest you don’t preform for at least a day.”

The doctor intruded.

Both kobolds glanced at each other at Hagnar’s words. Rex motioned for the doctor to leave with him, with a bite of his lip he followed.
Hagnar was alone again once the door closed with grace.

Peanut came within ten minutes, her case tucked behind her along with a tied-up sack. Resting on her face was a smile which refused to die, and upon her lips was a hummed ditty, overjoyed as she was to have a travelling companion.

"Here, hold this, please," she stated, tossing the bag over to Scout, "and don't let it fall in any holes or other bags if you value your life. You can toss your bindle in it, though, so long as it is nothing magical."

If Scout wanted to check it out, he could see a wellspring of magic inside the darkness, but nothing else within the bag. Such is the uncommon Bag of Holding, a special storage container that can swallow anything that can be placed within its mouth. Unfortunately the case was a bit too large to fit, but Peanut did not mind the weight too much.

"We'll go as far as we can for today, rest for a bit, and march again. We can cover a lot of ground at night. Animals don't tend to run around much then except for the large ones, and even then they don't stick to roads. Sound good?"

-- -- -- -- --

Frowning at the thought of rest, Hagnar slumped further into his chair, eyes focused on the distant wall with a silent fury. It was not so much the action of taking the instrument that irritated him so as the brazen gall of manipulating him and forcing him into this situation. If he had an instrument, he could have handled the spell without issue. At least, that is what he told himself. He could have done so through his voice if he decided to sing or vocalise.

The doctor declared that he should not play his instrument, but he knew better. He needed to practice so that, if he found them again, he could beat anything they could throw at him, especially if Scout learned magic from her. Such could not happen overnight, but if he did learn magic Scout needed to be forcibly removed from the situation, buried three-foot under.

"Antedictum," he thrummed, playing solid notes from his kobold-sized guitar. "Antedictum, Antedictum, lend me your muse, and bind your strength to mine as I play so I may crush my opposition."

The instrument glowed a deep green that pulsated in the dark, subservient to he who played it, and a devilish grin appeared on Hagnar's face.

"We have work to do."

Peanut came within ten minutes, her case tucked behind her along with a tied-up sack. Resting on her face was a smile which refused to die, and upon her lips was a hummed ditty, overjoyed as she was to have a travelling companion.

"Here, hold this, please," she stated, tossing the bag over to Scout, "and don't let it fall in any holes or other bags if you value your life. You can toss your bindle in it, though, so long as it is nothing magical."

If Scout wanted to check it out, he could see a wellspring of magic inside the darkness, but nothing else within the bag. Such is the uncommon Bag of Holding, a special storage container that can swallow anything that can be placed within its mouth. Unfortunately the case was a bit too large to fit, but Peanut did not mind the weight too much.

"We'll go as far as we can for today, rest for a bit, and march again. We can cover a lot of ground at night. Animals don't tend to run around much then except for the large ones, and even then they don't stick to roads. Sound good?"

-- -- -- -- --

Frowning at the thought of rest, Hagnar slumped further into his chair, eyes focused on the distant wall with a silent fury. It was not so much the action of taking the instrument that irritated him so as the brazen gall of manipulating him and forcing him into this situation. If he had an instrument, he could have handled the spell without issue. At least, that is what he told himself. He could have done so through his voice if he decided to sing or vocalise.

The doctor declared that he should not play his instrument, but he knew better. He needed to practice so that, if he found them again, he could beat anything they could throw at him, especially if Scout learned magic from her. Such could not happen overnight, but if he did learn magic Scout needed to be forcibly removed from the situation, buried three-foot under.

"Antedictum," he thrummed, playing solid notes from his kobold-sized guitar. "Antedictum, Antedictum, lend me your muse, and bind your strength to mine as I play so I may crush my opposition."

The instrument glowed a deep green that pulsated in the dark, subservient to he who played it, and a devilish grin appeared on Hagnar's face.

"We have work to do."
Scout fumbled with the sack unexpectedly thrown at him. He juggled until it steadied in his claws. Scout‘s eyes widened when the curiosity overpowered him, the void below him looked endless, he tested it by sticking his claw inside.

Hearing the plan all he did was nod, he didn’t have anything better.
while Peanut was occupied a scent managed to catch his interest, it smelled like a smokey piece of food Something he’s never smelled before. Embarrassed by not packing food or eating anything before hand, he could feel the vibration of his stomach. Glancing off the beaten path laid a dense forest, viewing anything further with was difficult due to the foliage.

The sense of hunger lead him to follow the spell. he’d be back in a minute…
The kobolds nose pointed to the sky raising up with his arms bent like he was a begging dog. Leaves rustled, a noise possibly heard by many predators, he didn’t know this…
Towards a clearing a wooden wheel poked within the foliage. It’s attached to a rectangular object with its own light source and cloth enveloped the top. His attention shifted once his ears perked to mysterious voices, noticing moving feet underneath the cart.
Against better judgement Scout army crawled forward, taking shelter under the strangers cart. A fire crackled while the figures clinked glasses, they laughed one figure probably told a joke to the others.
To him the voices sounded like noises of jibber jabber, but that wasn’t his objective. A table held onto his prize of a massive stock of food.

Bingo…..

"Aye, that's the good stuff," said a merchant in an expensive suit, his face perhaps as flushed red as the clothes he wore. The final sip of something bubbly stirred within elegant glass held by the neck between two fingers. "Dragontop 521 and Trollbane 518, I can't choose between either of them. You've exquisite taste, my friend."

"Likewise, my friend, likewise!" joined in the other in low voice, his finery perhaps just as decorous beneath a traveler's cloak draped over his shoulder. Rocky crystals poked out of his cheeks and from his head in certain symmetry, identifying some accidental or ancestral elemental blood in his veins. "I drink much, so I know my favourites. The next city has much to offer us as well, though not as much as we can offer them. We can turn good profit from these goods."

"Aye again. Batro, can you grab me a plate of whatever you can put on there? At least five things, thank you."

Batro, seemingly a civilised goblin, hopped to the table, nabbing whatever he can get his mitts on to place it on a clean tin plate. He reached desperately for a slab of meat for a few seconds, but managed to snag it and ran to the two with plate presented. The first merchant, ruddy and pleasant, thanked the little one and slipped a silver coin into his hand as thanks. The goblin was seemingly grateful and ran back to where he previously was: cleaning, washing, and polishing. None were too alert, so if Scout wanted to grab a small amount of food he had ample opportunity, provided he did not make too much of a sound.

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Outside of it all, Peanut looked about, wondering where Scout had run off to. She could have sworn she had seen him a second ago, and then he vanished when her back was turned. It's strange, though. It seemed as if, farther off and coming from beyond the next copse, there was the smell of roasted meat.

"Aye, that's the good stuff," said a merchant in an expensive suit, his face perhaps as flushed red as the clothes he wore. The final sip of something bubbly stirred within elegant glass held by the neck between two fingers. "Dragontop 521 and Trollbane 518, I can't choose between either of them. You've exquisite taste, my friend."

"Likewise, my friend, likewise!" joined in the other in low voice, his finery perhaps just as decorous beneath a traveler's cloak draped over his shoulder. Rocky crystals poked out of his cheeks and from his head in certain symmetry, identifying some accidental or ancestral elemental blood in his veins. "I drink much, so I know my favourites. The next city has much to offer us as well, though not as much as we can offer them. We can turn good profit from these goods."

"Aye again. Batro, can you grab me a plate of whatever you can put on there? At least five things, thank you."

Batro, seemingly a civilised goblin, hopped to the table, nabbing whatever he can get his mitts on to place it on a clean tin plate. He reached desperately for a slab of meat for a few seconds, but managed to snag it and ran to the two with plate presented. The first merchant, ruddy and pleasant, thanked the little one and slipped a silver coin into his hand as thanks. The goblin was seemingly grateful and ran back to where he previously was: cleaning, washing, and polishing. None were too alert, so if Scout wanted to grab a small amount of food he had ample opportunity, provided he did not make too much of a sound.

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Outside of it all, Peanut looked about, wondering where Scout had run off to. She could have sworn she had seen him a second ago, and then he vanished when her back was turned. It's strange, though. It seemed as if, farther off and coming from beyond the next copse, there was the smell of roasted meat.
His eyes followed the path which the green creature took. Whatever it was it’s the same size as him and obedient. Staring off from the others while they chatted the green creatures previous spot made his stomach gurgle. The biggest feat he’s ever seen outside the den. Packed with meat, fruits, and vegetables, his eyes were only set on the meat.

Scout figured out his plan to continue army crawling along the grass to the ‘Holy Grail‘ of food. He did so, occasionally glancing back towards the merchants thinking that he made too much noise. It was a slow, painful, process but he stood infront of his prize. Scurrying through his belongings he still possessed Peanut’s void carrier, silently he filled it with all the meat greedily from the table.

With not a scrap left Scout turned to leave, although something did catch his eye…
Was that..it is! An instrument was left beside one of the merchants. Still filled with greed, Scout deposited the bag of goods under the cart.
Again being patient, Scout scurried on all fours on cue with the merchant possessing the insturment standing up. He dived under, or behind, where they once sat. Behind his cover he stretched his arm out grabbing his prize. He took an inspection on what he has.
Sadly, it wasn’t a string instrument, instead it was a trumpet!

Still satisfied he returned to the safety of the cart, dragging the void carrier along the ground with a scratching noise as it scraped the grass…

The merriment continued within the small party, none of them the wiser of what was going on. The goblin once sniffed in the air, smelling something different that was not there before, but looking about did not provide any foresight of what was going on, and so Batro continued his tasks.

The meat, bit by bit and every morsel dripping with juices and delicious, fell into the sack with a faint piff and disappeared from sight. The trumpet itself, brass and complex in make with silver etchings, was as beautiful as it would sound if tested. The owner did not seem to notice its absence as Scout slipped away.

However, the dragging of the Bag of Holding stirred the sharp senses of pointy-eared Batro, and he looked over mid-wash to see a kobold slipping away with a sack and trumpet. Batro, feeling brave and defensive, yelped and alerted the others with a "Thief! Stealer! Stop! Oh, me show you."

Magic swirled around the goblin picked up a spellbook from his belt. His hand rose and fell as his lips muttered nonsense, though the magic was real enough where the words were not.

"BOOYAHG!" he shouted, tossing a spell Scout's way. The spell was a sleep spell, laughable to the common adventurer, but enough to knock Scout out mid-run as everything fell into blackness.

-- -- -- -- --

Scout would not be able to tell much of what had passed, only that he was far away from where he once was and out in the open. He could still hear shouting, and would realise that his hands were still gripping the materials he had like a vice. He would also realise through magic-laced eyes Peanut's frown above him.

"Come on, again, wake up!" Peanut hissed, shaking him by the shoulders. "You're lucky I ran after you because you probably were going to be very dead. Thieves are treated similar to bandits out here. They're searching for you right now." She looked down at the trumpet in his hands and frowned deeper. "Are you intending to keep that?"

The last words he heard were of alarm and hostility, soon the world went black. Scout laid unconscious in his state he knew he was doomed. Why did he have to be greedy? This wouldn’t have happened if Hagnar turned everyone against him!

His train of thought was derailed hearing a fimiliar voice ring through his head. Weighted eyes from the spell prevented him from waking up like the voice said. Succeeding, the weight released its grip on his eyes.
His body jolted upwards the sudden movement caused pain. Even with his eyes open it took a while to actually see anything, must‘ve been the spell…
Something within his hand caught his attention he gasped when the void carrier was still with him. Giving it a hug of victory he glanced over at Peanut in embarrassment and set it down. The mention of the trumpet also surprised him.

”Scout couldn’t wait to get a new instrument. Scout is very sorry. Scout’s first day in the wild isn’t going well…”

Quickly the yells startled the kobold. The travelers must be close!
Scout grabbed the voice carrier and Peanut’s hand, scurrying away still causing noise as their bodies brushed against leaves and twigs.
The voices were deafening, getting louder, footsteps of haste and anger trailed behind them. Scout screeched to a halt just when an arrow threaded past both his ears. It inbedded itself into a tree…

Peanut continued looking at him uncertainly regarding the trumpet, then sniffed and glanced up. The group of merchants caught up with Scout and her so fast! Were they all able to use magic, even in their drunken state? She had to guess that it was possible.

Scout, quickly recovering, pulled her along, and seconds later she went right along with him. The arrow that passed them and was embedded into a tree sent a surge of fear through her heart. From the size of the shaft the archer was huge. Was it the earth genasi man? She worried about their chances if they could not find cover, but turning back and fending them off was not an option . . . was it? She did not want to bloody her hands. Perhaps she could use Dimension Door again, like when Scout was magically induced to sleep, or cast Fear . . . or Calm Emotions. Those all might work, but were limited in area.

"Come on out, little rat thieves!" shouted the fastest of the bunch, the merchant in red, a hundred feet away and closing. His flamberge was drawn and had a icy glow to its wavy blade, though it did not seem magical. Alchemical silver? Cold iron? Regardless, his speed was going to be an issue. If he runs faster than they do, he will catch up.

Ping! Another arrow, closer this time. Luckily neither of the runaway kobolds ate it.

"Scout!" she called out, a little out of breath from the running. "Do you know magic?"

Scout saw the blur of an angry human getting closer his body was stiff in place in a trance at the weapon the person held. He didn’t register the speeding arrow whizzing by them, what did snap him back to reality was Peanut. She asked if he could do magic?
His eyes widened and ears dropped, he fiddled with the tops of his hands.
Just when another arrow flew by a little too close that he could feel the breeze. Scout perked, remembering something.

”Scout has a plan! Friend of Scout must distract them, Scout saw something that can help.”

Peanut didn’t get another word to object to the plan.
Peanut is left alone to fight, or run, it was up to her.

Scout pushed through the leaves and branches scooping a sharper point one good for fighting. Now he just had to….
Scout fell backwards, just as a tree exploded in a burst of fire. A little green creature with their spell book caught up to the kobold. His little heart beats, is this what combat feels like? It felt awful like he was about to pass out.

Distracted with his adrenaline making him tired even before actually fighting, he barely dodged another fireball. Scout landed into some moss, in desprate measures he rushed the creature. Pulling his arm back to throw the slightly sharp stick at his target. If the Goblin got distracted by the odd move, Scout grasped the spell book as the two began tugging at it.

Peanut looked at him in silent questioning, then agreement. Grinding her heels into the ground and turning on a dime, she drawing her short blade and ran towards the ruddy-faced merchant heading her direction.

When the two were close, she displayed an artful flourish by taking off her hat and swaying it between him and her, and the surprising technique had the intended effect of confusion. His flamberge turned away from its intended mark, following the hat, and her blade swished out to catch it and knock him off balance. He fell like a sack of potatoes, but the archer far out there in the trees launched an attack that forced her to dodge. Two against one? While it was a fair fight, her job was to distract, and she had every intent to do that.

The man on the ground held his sword before him with one hand, getting up with the other, and Peanut crossed weapons with him, whispering a word. Darkness enveloped the both of them, centered on the flamberge, allowing Peanut to slip out relatively unnoticed.

~~ ~~ ~~

On Scout's side of things, the goblin was using the most ancient of magical spells with as much respect as any other wizard: with use considered extreme. He seemed like he had the upper hand, Scout not putting up much of a fight as he was dodging, but the stick shocked him. He dodged to the left, as Scout expected, and could not react in proper manner when Scout reached out for his book.

"No! Get away from book. Book not yours!" Batro shouted, pulling back on the book, then charging his attacker with fist and foot. Being a goblin, he was not unfamiliar with fighting, but wizards don't make the best fighters. He did get a punch in to Scout's jaw, however it came at the loss of the spellbook. His mouth hung agape as he charged forward with more fury. "Give back!"

Peanut looked at him in silent questioning, then agreement. Grinding her heels into the ground and turning on a dime, she drawing her short blade and ran towards the ruddy-faced merchant heading her direction.

When the two were close, she displayed an artful flourish by taking off her hat and swaying it between him and her, and the surprising technique had the intended effect of confusion. His flamberge turned away from its intended mark, following the hat, and her blade swished out to catch it and knock him off balance. He fell like a sack of potatoes, but the archer far out there in the trees launched an attack that forced her to dodge. Two against one? While it was a fair fight, her job was to distract, and she had every intent to do that.

The man on the ground held his sword before him with one hand, getting up with the other, and Peanut crossed weapons with him, whispering a word. Darkness enveloped the both of them, centered on the flamberge, allowing Peanut to slip out relatively unnoticed.

~~ ~~ ~~

On Scout's side of things, the goblin was using the most ancient of magical spells with as much respect as any other wizard: with use considered extreme. He seemed like he had the upper hand, Scout not putting up much of a fight as he was dodging, but the stick shocked him. He dodged to the left, as Scout expected, and could not react in proper manner when Scout reached out for his book.

"No! Get away from book. Book not yours!" Batro shouted, pulling back on the book, then charging his attacker with fist and foot. Being a goblin, he was not unfamiliar with fighting, but wizards don't make the best fighters. He did get a punch in to Scout's jaw, however it came at the loss of the spellbook. His mouth hung agape as he charged forward with more fury. "Give back!"
The two twirled from momentum dancing around as the two fought for the upper hand. Being punched isn’t something he’s not yet used to. His teeth clicked tasting a foul substance, in a lucky turn of events, the punch caused the green creature to let go! He landed on his butt, but couldn’t catch his breath since he was tackled by his opponent.
Scout sent out a kick into the Goblin’s stomach, forced onto his side the book spilled open.

While the two fought for dominance Scout reached for the book, knocking them over the head with it. As he scooched backwards to get away Scout’s attention locked onto the spell book, more importantly the page it was on. Fighting through his fast breaths he tried his best to read a spell. His spell speech would make a master spell caster cringe Hagnar would probably laugh at him. Scout kept reading dispite his opponent charging.

Finishing the spell Scout squeezed his eyes shut feeling a strange energy tingling his scales, it was such an odd sensation Scout showed signs of joy that it seemed the spell was working…
More so, the spell created a strong wind blowing against his scales and the sound is like static. He felt his body floating which made him open his eyes. He somehow created some sort of swirling vortex floating above the ground, and it produced a strong wind!

Scout watched the Gobling grab onto a root to anchor themselves.
Scout grabbed onto a sturdy looking rock as everything that wasn’t held down flew by…

Kicked back, the goblin coughed out hard as he tried to refill his lungs with new air, but his diaphragm was not cooperating too well, and he yelped at being clubbed by the book on the head. Reeling back, he glared at the kobold and readied to attack him again, but when a spell flared off the goblin felt panic. The grim light, the wind. NO! He had to grab hold!

The vortex swirled, devouring nearby objects and pulling up grass in the surrounding area. First came the leaves, then the straw, then the blades of grass, then finally the roots as the hungry maw ate, but the vortex did not last long. The goblin collapsed to the hard ground in a heap, but that too did not last long. Looking up in fear and derision, he limped back in the direction of the camp and the archer. The spellbook was forfeited.

Within the magical darkness, the merchant in red swished around his blade angrily searching for Peanut and stumbled on a patch of thick grass. He was out of the fight too, at least for the moment, leaving only the archer.

Peanut glanced about the horizon for any sight of him, but could find nothing until the archer came out, bow up in the air and without an arrow nocked. He was giving up too.

"Take what you have and get out of here, but trouble us no more. Coleman, Batro, we'll return back to camp."

"B-but!" the goblin blubbered.

"No buts! You'll get a new spellbook, but it will come out of your pay," the earth genasi barked, cowing the goblin wizard.

"Very well," said Peanut, dropping the darkness and revealing the very angry, red-faced merchant named Coleman. Together, the three returned back to camp, their weapons sheathed or lowered, feeling very much defeated but leaving with their lives. Peanut, on the other hand, breathed out a sigh of relief and approached Scout, sheathing her tiny blade.

"Whatever you did scared them off, I think. To think you can cast magic after all! How did you do that?"

Kicked back, the goblin coughed out hard as he tried to refill his lungs with new air, but his diaphragm was not cooperating too well, and he yelped at being clubbed by the book on the head. Reeling back, he glared at the kobold and readied to attack him again, but when a spell flared off the goblin felt panic. The grim light, the wind. NO! He had to grab hold!

The vortex swirled, devouring nearby objects and pulling up grass in the surrounding area. First came the leaves, then the straw, then the blades of grass, then finally the roots as the hungry maw ate, but the vortex did not last long. The goblin collapsed to the hard ground in a heap, but that too did not last long. Looking up in fear and derision, he limped back in the direction of the camp and the archer. The spellbook was forfeited.

Within the magical darkness, the merchant in red swished around his blade angrily searching for Peanut and stumbled on a patch of thick grass. He was out of the fight too, at least for the moment, leaving only the archer.

Peanut glanced about the horizon for any sight of him, but could find nothing until the archer came out, bow up in the air and without an arrow nocked. He was giving up too.

"Take what you have and get out of here, but trouble us no more. Coleman, Batro, we'll return back to camp."

"B-but!" the goblin blubbered.

"No buts! You'll get a new spellbook, but it will come out of your pay," the earth genasi barked, cowing the goblin wizard.

"Very well," said Peanut, dropping the darkness and revealing the very angry, red-faced merchant named Coleman. Together, the three returned back to camp, their weapons sheathed or lowered, feeling very much defeated but leaving with their lives. Peanut, on the other hand, breathed out a sigh of relief and approached Scout, sheathing her tiny blade.

"Whatever you did scared them off, I think. To think you can cast magic after all! How did you do that?"
The pulling upon the kobold ceased with him abruptly crashing back to earth. As Scout groaned he witnessed the goblin limp away, since they were a witness to what he’s done to their group his body urged him to give chase. Scout used his hands to push himself up from his knee.
Gravity allowed a wet sensation one he had felt before and knew it well. Glancing down his arm gashes of split scales let blood bubble up to the surface.

Scout perked up to remembering about his friend. His legs begged for rest with a noticeable limp. Seeing the other travelers retreat gave Scout a much more happier mood now that he wasn’t threatened with death.
Then there was another familiar experience, Scout didn’t like this experience, Scout used the spellbook he held to cover is face.

”Scout didn’t mean to run off! Scout is sorry, leave Scout here to die.”

He used the spellbook as a shield from Peanut’s expression which he guessed was anger.

Peanut gave him a once-over, a discerning look on her face, before she raised a hand. Instead of striking him, however, she pressed her palm against his injured arm. Healing magicks coursed through him, knitting flesh and scale back together and rejuvenating pain.

"I'm not angry," she voiced with a sigh. "Your apology is enough. I just don't know why you chose to do it. There's more to us kobolds than larceny. As you know, we've got heart, spunk, and spirit too. Now come. We've got a camp to make ourselves."

Hand still on his arm, and with a debonair smile that lasted the trip there, she dragged Scout road-side. Along the edge of the road, she collected her viola and settled it on her back. A ponderous expression sat on her face and was aimed at Scout.

"Come to think of it, what did you steal to make them so mad at you?"

Peanut gave him a once-over, a discerning look on her face, before she raised a hand. Instead of striking him, however, she pressed her palm against his injured arm. Healing magicks coursed through him, knitting flesh and scale back together and rejuvenating pain.

"I'm not angry," she voiced with a sigh. "Your apology is enough. I just don't know why you chose to do it. There's more to us kobolds than larceny. As you know, we've got heart, spunk, and spirit too. Now come. We've got a camp to make ourselves."

Hand still on his arm, and with a debonair smile that lasted the trip there, she dragged Scout road-side. Along the edge of the road, she collected her viola and settled it on her back. A ponderous expression sat on her face and was aimed at Scout.

"Come to think of it, what did you steal to make them so mad at you?"
Scout grew back his smile at Peanut with the mended wounds the pain that was unbearable, is now filled down to a slight burning. Scout paid no attention to Peanut’s talk as he still focused onto his now healed arm.

”Scout got greedy, Scout stole food because Scout was hungry.”

His ears dipped again, the pain returning. Not from his arm, it was an aching feeling in his chest. Scout walked a ways away from Peanut to keep his distance if she was still mad. The magical void carrier was taken back by Peanut, but he still had his new possession, a spell book.

When Scout and Peanut found a spot to set up camp, Scout continued to sulk from a distance away from Peanut. Even when the night approached Scout stayed at the edge of the fires reach.
His hunched over position made it so he looked like a blob, his legs pulled tightly to his chest made this even more so.
A strong wind has picked up through the night, Scout didn’t care if he was cold, all he wanted was to be alone…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back