• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Jackie & Tom's Excellent Road Trip

TrashRabbit

probably from space
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
8i8lnRN.png

Two cryptids. Hunting cryptids. Gay screaming.

The most causal rp ever.

Last edited:
Tom's phone wasn't working. This wasn't a particular occult phenomenon merely a middle of the woods Maine problem. The sun had set and they were no closer to civilization than when they started and Jackie was helbent on getting somewhere tonight so the trees looming low over the road zoomed past she pushed the little AMC Gremlin at speeds not recommended for back dirt roads.

"You know," Tom said, blowing smoke out the rolled down window. "I'm starting to think Steven King was a fucking liar." The summer air outside was of a cool crisp pine scented variety that spoke of rain. And so far nothing strange had happened since they'd rolled into Maine and deemed their coastal tourist trap towns too crowded and full of yuppies to handle.

Jackie plucks the cigarette from his hand, the speed not letting up even a bit as she looks away from the road to roll her eyes at Tom, "If Pennywise doesn't come out of those trees-" She uses the cigarette to gesture to a patch of trees on the side of the road, "- and kill me instantly, I'm going to sue him for our travel costs," They pass the trees, and Jackie frowns, takes a pull of the cigarette, and sighs the smoke out in disgust, looking back at the road, "Unbelievable. I was really hoping that jinxing myself like that was going to make something happen. Stephen King is a fucking liar and I'm suing. If I had any fucking service I'd do it right now."

"Can you check the map? I have no fucking idea where we are. Have you been keeping track?"

Tom picked up the map, still open in his lap and crinkled it around loudly with a bit of fan fair and said;

"Well if the wiggly lines are the same as the last fucking time I looked at the map, then we are still fucking lost. And if penny wise doesn't fuck at least one of us while we're literally lost int he woods, what is even the point of being alive? This road has to go somewhere right?"

"Don't fuck Pennywise, Thomas! Clown fucker. Also this is fucking Maine! Do any roads lead to anywhere worthwhile? The answer is no. "

"I don't know shit about Maine I'm from SEATTLE." He said, indignant that Jackie had standards and that pennywise was were she drew the line.

"I'm from New York! Fuck! You're a fucking wizard, Tom! Cast some fuckin'.... Whatever. Do that thing with the magic and give us a route."

"That's not- Jackie. Please," He said, and threatened her by wrinkling the map loudly like a bag of potato chips at her, "You know that's the opposite of what you want!" Tom's magic was awe-full kind. The kind of magic that didn't make much sense in lieu of it being magical. He could twist trees into terrible shapes, and pull things through time and space, get up after being hit by a bus. Most importantly he had discovered he could punch ghosts. He was strongest in liminal spaces and when he felt half dead. But his magic was not the candle and ritual kind, or the charming harry potter kind and honestly using it made just about any situation worse.

"God, if it will make something interesting out of the same road and these same fucking trees, I would welcome it. We should have fucking run into something by now. What the fuck."

"Fine you want me to phase the car through a tree?" He reached his hand out the window and made a grabbing motion. The Gremlin lurched to the side unnaturally and the road stretched and narrowed like a horror movie.

"Did you or did you not say to casting some fucking whatever?" He asked wiggling his fingers at her. At least he was sober.

"That was fucked up and you know it. You know it. If I die, I won't be here to scrape you off the next time your dumb ass gets hit by a fucking car while high on coke. So don't do... that. Again. Please. The vertigo is going to make me throw the fuck up."

"I fucking told you it was the opposite of what you wanted, but did you listen, no? And like you don't know I'm immortal. Maybe I'm just immune to trucks. you ever think of that? Huh?"

And it was then that the engine cut out abruptly.

"I never listen to you, first of all. Second of all, what the fuck sort of logic is-"

The engine suddenly dies, and for a long moment, she says nothing; Jackie continues following the turns of the road, using the last of their momentum until they roll to a complete stop. Jackie slams her head into the horn. It doesn't even beep.

"This car is stupid and I hope a wendigo eats us."

"You know I wouldn't' mind going batshit Hannibal lector for a while-" Tom says then yells out the window, "C'MON YOU NASTY ASS GHOST EAT ME"

The forest around them feels deathly quiet after he goading and he sits back in his seat. working each other up is what they are good at. "Are ya gonna," He says, "Ya know?" He pantomimes turning the key.

"I wanted to see if a Wendigo would eat me first," She sighs, then turns the key. The engine makes a sound almost like it would almost turn over and start, but nothing happens - it doesn't roar to life like its supposed to, just pathetically makes noises that it's trying so hard, "Well... We're definitely going to die."

"Oh thank god, you got me thinking about living forever too hard-" He says blowing smoke out the window. Then he leans over to check the gauges on the dash board, just to make sure they're not out of gas. "I guess thisis the part where I get out and open up the the hood and like look at the engine with my hands on my hips and think straight thoughts till I figure out how to fix it? And then penywise eats me? Thats how this works right?" He said this as he opened the door, "Pop the hood, Jackie," he adds and steals the cigarette back with one long arm.

"Yep, that's how it works. Maybe if you bat your eyelashes at him, he'll let us off with a warning," Jackie pops the hood, hopping out of the car. When she lifts the hood, a puff of smoke emits from the still hot engine, and Jackie sighs. "See, it's moments like this that I wished you were a useful wizard."

Tom coughed and waved his hand and used his phone as a flash light. It sure looked like an engine. Did they need coolant? Could they use water. How did sports cars work. he took a step back and held his hands out; "Abracadabra?!"
the whole car sort of bounced hard on its suspension and it's outline doubled and tripled in image, blurring about the edges for a moment. Tom didn't usually mess around this much and it didn't seem to help the car much.
"Maybe we need a more advanced Pokemon; ALAKAZAM," He says and puts his hands on the hot engine. The car strained with a noise like a whale and then the engine was-

-gone.

"oh no."

Jackie takes several steps back as Tom steps forward, knowing it was better to not be in the blast radius of any possible misfires that could happen, since they always happened to Tom. She covers her ears and closes her eyes as Tom touches the engine, hoping that they’re not going to die here-

As far as she can tell, nothing bad happens. Except when she opens her eyes, and sees Tom looking wildly similar to a dog who just got caught being naughty, and a car that now had no engine.

Their car. It now had no engine.

Jackie takes a deep breath and tries to not lose her shit. After a long couple of seconds, she whispers, “What in the actual, literal fuck, Tom.”

"I- " Tom said, "I got this." He took off his jacket and rolled up his sleeves. "I made it go I can make it come back. I made it go. I can make it come back." He mumbles to himself as he holds his hands out in the empty space beneath the hood. Reality seems to have objections to whatever he's attempting and the dark road begins to close in, condensing and consolidating physical space. Sound drops out.

The gremlin bucks and rolls back with a bang, like its been struck by lightening. The engine, is pristine in the light of tom's phone, factory new and chrome. Tom staggers and turns to Jackie, sweeping his arms low in a mock bow. "Tada"

But looming behind her like a large phosphorescence moon is a Pleistocene mammal. Now a Moose is so large as to be of concern on its own; this ones antlers are wide as a soccer goal and taller than the gremlin at the withers. But it's glowing. and pale, and its eyes are beady ice blue and its mouth, when it bears its teeth are sharp like a dogs.

Tom's eyes go comically wide as he stands up from his bow.

"Hey Jackie." He says in his smallest voice. Smaller than the little oh no when he lost the engine. "We should run-"

Jackie watches as Tom scrambles to bring back the engine, this close to just... killing him. She justifies the sentiment with the fact that he’ll come back so it’s fine, but that only makes it more tempting. She holds off though, glaring at the back of his dumb blonde head as he tries to bring it back, bending reality and hitting mute on the sounds of the forest that surround them-

“JESUS FUCK!” She screams, just about scared out of her skin as the car slams backwards, Jackie’s legs giving out and unceremoniously dropping her ass on to the concrete. She holds a hand to her cheat, trying to hold her to hold her heart in her ribcage because she swears that shit is going to jump out of her chest. “Fuck, Tom, that scared me!”

As she notices his eyes are on not her, but above her, she follows his line of sight up, and up, and up, and catches the largest moose she has ever seen staring down at her. It’s not even just a regular moose, which could kill her just as easily - it is white as snow, with teeth as sharp as a wolf’s.

Jackie, of all things, laughs nervously, then says, lowly, “Get in the car, Tom. Slowly.”

Tom reached out and grabs her, pulling her up and to her feet. The best snorts, breath steaming white into the night. Moments ago it had been a chilly summer night and now there is something in the air that smells of snow and sorrow. The ghost moose opened its terrible sharp toothed maw and screamed with the voice of a dying man.

He follows Jackie's instructions, backing away slowly, hand gropping for the gremlin, and then the door handle-

"I hope I'm immune to moose."

“Mmm, don’t like that,” Jackie says, trying to fast walk but not too fast but hastily enough that she’s got some space between herself and the ghost moose with the teeth and the -

Jackie freezes as it screams. Even more slowly now, she opens the door and climbs in, waits until Tom is in and shuts his door. She shuts her door, then quickly tries to turn the key in the ignition. The car blessedly turns over and starts, and Jackie throws the gremlin into reverse and slams the gas, putting a hand on the back of Tom’s head rest and leaning around to watch out the back window.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back