Opinion It's hard getting people's attention...

Isaedras Cleditre

The Sveik 裏切ら
Has anyone else noticed it's getting pretty hard for a roleplay or any kind of thread to pick up steam? Not to say there isn't activity on quite a few new threads as they are posted but when it boops down to roleplay and roleplay ideas I've seen a lot of good ideas sort of "swept under the rug." Anybody else?

I can't really say it's happening, only recently got back on the site, but it's always felt like that. Why is this so low when there are so many people online or why are there no replies but all these views. I think it might just be the norm of things.

I can't really say it's happening, only recently got back on the site, but it's always felt like that. Why is this so low when there are so many people online or why are there no replies but all these views. I think it might just be the norm of things.

Hopefully things can change so the effort people put into crafting their storylines, character building , and so on, can be noticed and appreciated!

I think a nice influx of users and activity will come back to the site with summer being right around the corner. Sometimes you just gotta find the right people, but everyone has their own life and situations that keep them busy. Like I said it's probably the norm, I'm used to IM roleplays where messages are constantly going back and forth or hour long sessions that see a lot of progress. Waiting a week for an rp to get started, then waiting for the character approvals and intro posts. Yes a lot of work goes into it, but the time is all we notice. How long until it ups? When can I post? It's all part of forum roleplay.

I think a nice influx of users and activity will come back to the site with summer being right around the corner. Sometimes you just gotta find the right people, but everyone has their own life and situations that keep them busy. Like I said it's probably the norm, I'm used to IM roleplays where messages are constantly going back and forth or hour long sessions that see a lot of progress. Waiting a week for an rp to get started, then waiting for the character approvals and intro posts. Yes a lot of work goes into it, but the time is all we notice. How long until it ups? When can I post? It's all part of forum roleplay.

Very good points all ofnthwm x.x maybe I'm just impatient. It's just that a few roleplays I've hopped into have yet to get started due to lack of interest and it's a bit irritating after a while since it feels like you're the only that sees the potential in a thread that everyone is rushing by. But I have faith that eventually people will come

I think the problem is two fold - Age Demographic and Lack of Courtesy.

Which actually kind of go hand in hand a lot of the time.

Now to be clear by lack of courtesy I don't mean everyone on here is a raging dirt bag or anything. I just mean that for a lot of people it doesn't occur to them that their partner might actually like to know if they are going to be busy or can't reply or something comes up. Like it doesn't occur to them that they're kind of putting their partner in an awkward position by just making them wait around.

Because either it genuinely doesn't seem like something they need to do or they just have this assumption that their partner will move on without them saying anything ( this is more for the timid types that avoid confrontation like the plague )

Another thing is age demographic. A lot of this site is teenagers ( and some early twenties )

Which there is a lot of different things going on in real life at different points in your life and it's hard to accommodate for different things if you aren't actually communicating with your partner.

Like this is the time of the year when a lot of finals are taking place, people are going on vacation, if you're in a transition year this is when you start planning for college or getting a job or whatever.

So like people have a lot of different things going on depending on where they are.

And not everyone again thinks that communicating that is necessary. For one there are plenty of people that just assume we're all in the same boat so they think - well i'm in finals and also getting a new job so my partner probably is to so we're both busy.

I have found the best solution to this particular problem is just to talk to people. Be like - hey are you still interested? Are you busy? Etc.

It saves a lot of time and prevents you from making a lot of assumptions that may or may not be true.

I think the problem is two fold - Age Demographic and Lack of Courtesy.

Which actually kind of go hand in hand a lot of the time.

Now to be clear by lack of courtesy I don't mean everyone on here is a raging dirt bag or anything. I just mean that for a lot of people it doesn't occur to them that their partner might actually like to know if they are going to be busy or can't reply or something comes up. Like it doesn't occur to them that they're kind of putting their partner in an awkward position by just making them wait around.

Because either it genuinely doesn't seem like something they need to do or they just have this assumption that their partner will move on without them saying anything ( this is more for the timid types that avoid confrontation like the plague )

Another thing is age demographic. A lot of this site is teenagers ( and some early twenties )

Which there is a lot of different things going on in real life at different points in your life and it's hard to accommodate for different things if you aren't actually communicating with your partner.

Like this is the time of the year when a lot of finals are taking place, people are going on vacation, if you're in a transition year this is when you start planning for college or getting a job or whatever.

So like people have a lot of different things going on depending on where they are.

And not everyone again thinks that communicating that is necessary. For one there are plenty of people that just assume we're all in the same boat so they think - well i'm in finals and also getting a new job so my partner probably is to so we're both busy.

I have found the best solution to this particular problem is just to talk to people. Be like - hey are you still interested? Are you busy? Etc.

It saves a lot of time and prevents you from making a lot of assumptions that may or may not be true.
I fully agree with this. When I know I'm not going to be available for a considerable about of time, I let them know. Most of the time, and I mean ninety-nine percent of the time, I know when and when I'm not going to be available. If it's more of a group play, I'll let them all know. Or if it's just a scene where I'm with one other person, I'll message them personally. Courtesy like that can go a long way, because sometimes I think that that they are just not simply interested.

I think people see an idea they like and jump into posting saying they're interested or make a character sheet right away without thinking about the other rps they're in or if it's truly something they want to rp.

I used to hastily join new rps, and then realize I had too many and have to drop some. Or the idea presented in the interest check turned out to be something I wasn't able to actually commit to.

It's not a bad thing necessarily but I think it results in lots of people dropping out as soon as they showed up and it can get pretty annoying after say, the third rp you make in a row dies within the first week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back