Istar's Trial

A hair raising and soul rattling shriek echos through the room and your body. At your back you feel the air rush by as you are sure the greatclub narrowly misses you. Within in the sane breath you hear a stone shattering crack. You safely make it into the passage.

Istar took a brief glance behind her checking to see if she had made it to safety. Seeing no creature , she stopped running and sat on the stone floor , leaning against the wall behind her and clutching her sword close to her chest. Tears welled in her eyes , threatening to spill down her cheeks , but the Elf furtively wiped them away. "I'm a Paladin , Paladins don't shame themselves by crying.. b-but I shouldn't flee from my foes either!" More tears formed in her eyes , but once again she wiped them away before they could fall. She clutched her beloved sword yet tighter. "I-I need to atone for my transgression , I need to.. I need to slay the abomination for Corellon to forgive me!" The revelation seemed to bring her some measure of joy , though she had the presence of mind to heal herself as she rose to her feet. The deep wounds on her side closed as she whispered a prayer beseeching Corellon's forgiveness and aid , striding back to the room the creature resided in.

---------------------
Lay on Hands:roll(2d6)+0:6+1+0 Total:7

You hear the cracking of stone and another loud crash. The shriek fills the passageway, it seems like you may have company soon.

The moment the abomination came within her view , Istar called down all the power Corellon granted her , with the the express purpose of striking it down. As the divine energy coursed through her , the Elf's fair skin seeming to take on a celestial glow. She rushed directly to the creature , her hand reaching out and firmly grasping one of the creature's ribs with her left hand. Through that hand she channeled healing energies , her emerald eyes blazing with righteous determination.

----------------
Smite Evil Cast (ignore creature's Damage Reduction)

Melee touch attack:roll(1d20)+11:20+11 Total:31 (Automatic hit , critical threat)
Critical confirmation:roll(1d20)+11:14+11 Total:25 (DM confirmed)

Lay on Hands:roll(2d6)+8:6,6+8 Total:20
Critical damage:roll(2d6)+8:3,5+8 Total:16
Damage Total:36

Last edited:
The divine power surges through you, the power filling you entirely, had you not been calling on the shear energy might have been overwhelming.
It flows from you into the undead abomination, the skeleton freezes in place. A silent scream filling its mouth, holy flames shoot from its mouth and empty eye sockets. The light of divinity arcing out to banish any shadow in the darkened passage.
The bone you are holding begins to crumble as the corporeal body flecks away and falls to the stone floor.

Soon you standing over a pile of ash and dust and battered but serviceable half-plate armour. The light and power receding from your grip and body, but the warm comfort of your god remains in your heart. Soon only your fallen moonrod is the only light in the passage, you can still see the door from which you left.

Istar felt exhilarated as the creature started to crumble away in her grip , the power coursing through her greater than it ever had. As she over the ashen remains she had an ear-to-ear smile gracing her features , her brilliant green eyes wide with sheer amazement. Corellon's comforting , familiar presence in her heart gave the Elf a profound sense of solace. "Thank you , Corellon Larethian," she said with the upmost reverence , "Thank you for blessing me with this power , thank you for choosing me as your Paladin.. but above all , thank you for still strengthening me , still protecting me , still loving me despite my shameful actions. Corellon , Creator of the Elves , I will always dedicate myself to you. I will always carry out your will in whatever way you desire. Corellon , I love you , and I will always love you until I draw breath no longer."

Once she had finished her prayer , the Paladin stood back up , and after taking a deep breath she gathered her moon rod. She entered the room the skeleton had resided in and began to look it over , entirely forgetting to dust the creature's ashes off of her left forarm and hand.
"Now let's see what this abomination was guarding here!"

---------------------
Perception:roll(1d20)+3:10+3 Total:13

Last edited:
As you stand in the ruined doorway to note that the room was almost too small with the large skeleton in it. But with it gone it is still a relatively small room.

It seems to be two strides(10 feet) across (north to south) and about four strides(20 feet) long(east). In the opposite corner(south east) you see another wooden door. Leaning against it is a short bow, it looks newer then the rest of the scattered remains and weapons you have seen in these passages and rooms.

Along the wall to your left(north) about halfway a glint of something shinny catches your eye. Something metallic is poking out of a sack.

Istar strode over to the object in the sack , finding herself drawn to the sharp glint of unrusted metal which seemed so out of place in the long-abandoned Maze. Still , she was just as wary of it as she was every other object she had came across within the maze , and as she walked she carefully looked it over for any oddities or potential traps.

---------------
Perception:roll(1d20)+3:18+3 Total:21

Last edited:
As you get closer you see the object is made of what appears to be gold, though without opening up the sack you cannot be sure. Through the thinning sack you also see what very well could be coins, though what they are is not apparent. As you lean in your eyes see two oddly shaped bulges, one you think is a faint pale green and the other appears darker, like a dark purple or black. The fabric of the sack obscuring any finer details.
You are also confident there are not traps.

Istar smiled broadly , assuming the object to be quite valuable. "Those have to be precious gems! Gems!" She excitably shrugged her pack from her shoulders and set it on the ground beside her , opening the flap so she could place the sack's contents inside. The Elf then began to draw the object from the thinning cloth , taking great care to avoid damaging it or the other objects it contained.

The first object you pull out of the sack is a shiny gold statue, the word trophy comes to your mind. Next item you pull out is a pale green gem that had been cut into a triangular shape, it is about the size of your fingernail. Following item that you remove is a dark purple gem cut into an oval, about the size of your thumbnail. And finally weighing down the sack is many gold coins. They are of varying shapes; pentagons, circles, crescents. Some have dragon heads, others lions, and a few with moons. These are clearly from all over the realms.

Istar's eyes widened as she saw the diversity of the gold pieces. "I've never seen such a variety of coins.. not in a single place! This had to have been placed here!" As she dumped all the coins into her pack she made sure the trophy was atop the pile , and she placed the two gemstones into her small coin pouch. Smiling all the broader , the Elf put her now-heavier pack back on her shoulders and strode towards the door. She carefully studied it - and the oddly well-maintained shortbow leaned against it - carefully for any traps.

-----------------
Perception:roll(1d20)+3:12+3 Total:15

The door does not appear to be trapped, nor does it seem like the bow is a danger either.

Istar cautiously reached out for the bow with her right hand , and should it not trigger a trap she would look it over , trying to deduce any special properties it may possess.

-------------
Appraisal:roll(1d20)+3:16+3 Total:19

You pick up the bow, it seems to be very well made, you think it might be comparable to your bow.

Istar stashed the shortbow in her pack. "It looks to be of high quality - perhaps as high quality as my own. I'll sell it after I escape this Maze." After that she cautiously reached her hand out for the door's handle and slowly pulled it towards herself , alert for any sign of a trap.

Users who are viewing this thread