• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

ISO first D&D campaign

Farmgirl310

Wandering, but not lost
i don't use discord.
I am comfortable RP but would love help to start. I have all the basics I just need a campaign
20 years old, Central time, Female
i don't particularly like steampunk and futuristic plots. Thanks all

Are you thinking of making something on this site in roleplaying fashion or something that can be put on a board like on the ever-useful Roll20? I love original content, but have never really participated in things that follow a main campaign, so I am interested in either. Descent into Avernus seems very interesting, but long-term. Curse of Strahd also seems interesting, which I think has a low level cap and is good for forum roleplaying.

I hope you will enjoy your first time as a DM, if I am reading that right. I have no context when it comes to acronyms.

Hi, would like to help. Had some serious bad experience with Discord so I get that but a lot of the DnD online crowd uses it. I can share some thoughts if you like. PM me

Also is your thumbnail... Pink Floyd, Darkside of the Moon?

Are you thinking of making something on this site in roleplaying fashion or something that can be put on a board like on the ever-useful Roll20? I love original content, but have never really participated in things that follow a main campaign, so I am interested in either. Descent into Avernus seems very interesting, but long-term. Curse of Strahd also seems interesting, which I think has a low level cap and is good for forum roleplaying.

I hope you will enjoy your first time as a DM, if I am reading that right. I have no context when it comes to acronyms.

It depends on what we'd be doing honestly I'm okay with play by post with the use of d&d dice mechanics or something of that sort

In that case a forum-based posting style might be best. I have had that for a group and it worked nicely, but slowly. We later transferred to a two-week schedule where we all gathered on an instant messenger system and did a lot within the course of two hours, but you can only do so much within two hours. Whatever the case, I wish you luck on your campaign and hope to see it flourish, perhaps as one of its players.

Well you could use a variety of platforms. For instance DnD Beyond now has dice rolls incorporated so that the whole party and GM can see the roll. You can also search for a game on their forums. So you could use the forums here with DnD Beyond to track the mechanical and RP aspects. Many online DnDer's like Discord because of the bot Avrea which handles the dice stuff, and can interface with DnD Beyond, Google sheets etc...for character info. Roll20 can do the same, but I find it a bit cluncky. Foundry is good, but as a GM to host you would have to pay. Again willing to help, but need to know more of what you are looking for. Also there is a PbP community out there with their own website etc as well as Reddit and stuff.

Amen to Roll20 being clunky. I am suffering its existence a bit with my own campaign. Map making with three layers is not advisable. That is what art programs are for, which I learned late. LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES!

I am an old school TTRPG player/ DM started in the 80s with AD&D and now learning 5e. Back then we didn't worry to much about maps, drew them out if needed. And really only when doing a dungeon crawl. If you have a good team playing, especially if doing everything in text, adequate descriptions can be given for theater of the mind. If a map is needed I have seen some people just sketch on a piece of paper and share on Discord, no big.

So as far as playing in a group and getting the DnD experience... very doable, however when you say no Discord, ok so more limited but still doable. And I get why people avoid Discord there are some really toxic people / servers out there. I am very sensitive to some of that stuff. Anyway, I hope I am helping and not confusing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back