• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Graded [Paizu Mountains] The Fox and The Hound

This RP is part of the Isekai Hell group. It'll feature Mitsunari and Ceylan as they travel to the Paizu Mountains to look for a Syncretist Cardinal known to have strong healing magic, hoping to have him cure their [maimed] conditions. Anyone hoping to free Ceylan from the fox's bad influence or to join Mitsunari's attempt to make use of the Syncretist goody-two-shoes is welcome to join in on their journey (but do give a heads-up so we can work out how to best incorporate other characters into the story). There will be a relatively strict 48 hour posting cycle to ensure the RP progresses at a nice pace.

At the Foot of the Paizu Mountains
9D7Sx0f.jpg
Mentions: Mitsunari LadyOfStars LadyOfStars

Ceylan

Ceylan's journey had progressed slowly and painfully. He'd been able to hitch rides from people to get closer to the Paizu mountains, especially now that he was back in his home country, The Republic. He realised that his beast blood made it easier to connect with people here, far more so than with the Fae at least. Sadly enough, his destination was a remote one, so even the nearest city was still far off. Hitching rides to go even further was difficult as well, as there was nobody around for miles. He wished he could afford hiring some flying beasts, perhaps even a dragon, to just fly him all the way there, but that was well above what his meagre coin purse could handle.

His legs were also killing him. Why was the thing he needed most in this area the thing he wanted to fix by going here? He'd grown tired of casting continuous healing magic on his own legs just to be able to walk, yet he didn't see another option. He also wondered how the others were doing. If Cayde was still adventuring, if Haruki and Tia had settled in somewhere and if Mira was adjusting to the Syncretist branch he'd dropped her off at. He'd considered taking her along, but the man he was visiting did not like people, so the less the better.

That did mean Ceylan had to try to keep walking with his own strength. He grunted. Blasted legs. Another healing spell cast, he managed to start to move again, as the pain was relieved enough to keep stepping for as long as he leaned heavily on his staff. He should probably rest somewhere soon, but he was packed lightly to leave his legs unburdened, meaning he'd have to camp in the open. He had not prepared well for this trip, had he? He felt a bit foolish, but on the other hand, he was also able to convince himself that this was part of his atonement.

At least the weather was nice. He thought, as he saw storm clouds gather on the horizon... That made him pray to the weather gods pretty quickly. Rain was the last thing he needed right now. There should be one more small village before his final destination. Perhaps he could reach it and spent the night there, get some supplies and then make his long way into the mountain proper. Such was the plan, at least. With some luck, he'd be able to get there in one piece and without any interruptions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seikatsu Mitsunari

Tracking and stalking, that was what Mitsunari's life had boiled down to in recent months. Rumors of a powerful healer had caught his attention, but the man seemed to move around quite a bit. Aside from the traveling, learning about the man was no easy task as the man was a member of the church and no holy person would easily open up to someone like the fox. He was forced to skulk about, ambushing people in places where the healer was said to have been and taking what they knew of his plans to find the next clue. It was safe to say he had seen far more of Ryke now than he had ever hoped to.

So when his latest inquires hinted that the man was headed north to the land of the beasts, Mitsunari was upset but also relieved. It was a far journey from Ryke, but a new place where he had yet tread upon.

And while they wandered through the open plains a storm seemed to be brewing up ahead, but those winds carried a scent upon them; the smell of a mutt. Behind his bandages and mask, Mitsunari grinned with all of his teeth. "Finally, I have found you." He would cast his own healing spells upon himself in an attempt to alleviate the pain he had been feeling and stifle the pain he was about to put himself through.

Excitement spurred him forward, his ogres in tow as they hurried through the scenic fields towards their target. And certain as the sun rose in the east, there was in fact a canine who fit Ceylan's description, traveling through the same path. "Bring him to me. Alive." He issued the command in the language of the monsters; a precaution to keep the hound from knowing his intentions if he was capable of hearing that far. 1663955453298.png

Without hesitation the red giants rushed forward, their blades gleaming in the sunlight as their heavy steps shook the ground. "Alive!" The kitsune reminded the ogres as he saw the hunger in their eyes. Upon reaching their master's target one of the ogres would attempt to grab hold of Ceylan, its large hand stretched open to wrap around the small prey.

Elvario Elvario

9D7Sx0f.jpg

Ceylan

It turned out it wasn't good weather he should've prayed to be good, but safe roads instead. His heart skipped a beat when the ground shook, as some very large things were approaching fast. He knew the mountains had some dangers lurking in them, but five giant red ogres? That was not what he expected, especially not at the foot of them. What in the world was he supposed to do? Run? His legs wouldn't him far? Fight? He could bonk them with his staff, but that'd do exactly nothing? Pray. He was already doing it, begging the deity of travellers to keep him safe from being eaten on these roads. It wasn't working, as the things kept heading his way. Being eaten here by a clan of Ogres was not how he thought his life would end, but he knew his days, no, his minutes, were numbered. If he'd felt bad before about leaving Haruki and Tia, his heart ached even more now, knowing he'd not even meet them again. They'd just think he'd have left them and never returned.

“Maker have mercy on me.” He said, as he was ready to meet him when a sharp looking sword swung his way... only to be stopped. Intead, he felt fingers wrap around him. What was this? Were they going to torture him first? Boil him alive? Bring him to their leader as a gift? Whatever it was, it likely wasn't going to be better than what would've occurred had he died here. He breathed in deeply. Then bit down into the Ogre's hand with all his might. With some luck, he could anger these things enough to kill him quickly, rather than suffering a slow death.

1663961198546.png
Seikatsu Mitsunari

The ogres secured Ceylan and when the priest bit down on the monster's hand, it grunted and gave him a brief shake. "He deserves to be eaten." The monster declared as it turned to present Ceylan to Mitsunari. It took a great deal of restraint for the red beast not to bite down on Ceylan and rip off a limb to snack on. But fear of its master was also a good motivator.

"You'll eat soon enough." The fox promised as he made his approach. "Put him down." At Mitsunari's command, the dog was dropped and the ogre let out a low growl of frustration and anger. "You're not what I expected a priest to look like." His head tilted to the left as he looked over Ceylan curiously. "You're far prettier than the other holyfolk I had to interrogate in order to find you." In the background the ogres plopped down to the ground one after another, shaking the earth beneath their collective weight as they did.

"I will cut right to the chase, hound. I am cursed by the gods..." His hand came up to pull at the bandages on his face, revealing the burnt flesh behind the wrappings. "...and I have searched high and low for a way to cure this affliction, but nothing I have found is strong enough to undo the damage that bitch has done to me." Mitsunari straightened up and stepped back from Ceylan, giving the healer some breathing room. "Until I stumbled upon rumors of a powerful healer of the chuirch. I've searched far and wide for you and now here you are." Again the wicked grin formed on Mitsunari's face as his heart rate sped up with excitement. "I will make this simple. Heal me and I won't kill you.." The fox cast an impatient glare at the priest, his eyes fixed upon Ceylan.

Elvario Elvario

9D7Sx0f.jpg

Ceylan

His attempt failed, as he wasn't given a quick death. Instead, he was granted confusion. Someone controlled these monsters? When he was put in front of the fox, he scoffed. “Sorry for disappoin...” Wait, hold up, reverse that. Prettier? Really? What in the world was this? He'd already started to snap back with a remark, knowing his fate was sealed, but this caught him off guard. If it wasn't for him being kidnapped, he'd almost be charmed. Almost. That said, he was kidnapped and there was something Ceylan really didn't like about the way this fox said 'interrogate' regarding his fellow Syncretists. “What have you done to my brothers and sisters?” Despite his situation, he sounded surprisingly hostile for being Ceylan, yet this threat to those he'd grew up with was one of the few points that could genuinely draw out some anger in him, even if his life was at risk.

As the fox made his intentions clear, Ceylan attempt to appraise him, but it was to no avail. He had a lot of choice words to reply, anger, frustration and fear as well. However, taking a deep breath, he decided it was best to stay with the calm and rational option. “You've found the wrong person. I failed the gods and ended up in the same condition.” He said, showing his legs. “If I had the power to heal away god-inflicted injuries, I wouldn't be trying to walk around with them.” He really hoped that it would somehow be enough to make the fox back-up, even though he wasn't quite sure. At the very least, he didn't want to mention anything about who could help the fox, as he really didn't trust this figure in the slightest. The fact the fox had two more tails than him was slightly intriguing, as he knew a tiny bit about Kitsune and their magic trickery, almost closer to a [Fae] than a [Beast] in that regard, but he was far too weary of this man being evil to want to interact with him. That, and the fact he'd just been kidnapped by ogres, of course.

1663970780539.png

Seikatsu Mitsunari

"What?!" Ceylan's declaration that he was unable to heal their seemingly similar afflictions caused a spike in anger in the fox. As he thought about the months he'd spent suffering like this and then the time he spent to track down the dog his catalyst that hung around his neck started to chime and glow. "Argh!!" In a fit, Mitsunari turned around and conjured a cascade of fire that erupted from his mouth as he screamed. the flames rolled out away from the pair, leaving a ashes in its wake as the field was set ablaze.

He breathed heavily, his chest visibly pushing against his kimono. The ogres look to one another and then back to the kitsune, caught off guard by the sudden outburst. They had never seen Mitsunari in such a state.

"If you cannot help me then you will discover first hand what I have done with your beloved brothers and sisters." The low tone of his voice didn't stop his words from being heard as he turned to face Ceylan and peered at the canine through his bandages. He used his [Persuasion F] in an attempt to convince Ceylan that he had indeed harmed his friends when in truth he had not done anything to any of them. But then he had an even better idea. "Actually, you may be better kept as a pet. I'm sure that if you've reached this level of skill in healing, then you will continue to grow to meet my needs." His fists loosened and the black tails that had been tense now relaxed. "But you will not need your legs for any of that."

His eyes went to the ogres and he gestured for them to come and get Ceylan. "Eat his limbs! We will take him home with us." He said in the monsters' native tongue. If Ceylan was no use right now then he would be in time and to show him how serious he was, Mitsunari intended to dismember the priest and use healing magic to keep him alive. The ogres rose to their feet and lumbered over to Ceylan, two of which grabbed the dog by his arms and lifted him off the ground. "Be quick about it." He nonchalantly waved his hand, unbothered by the impending bloodshed.

• Amaterasu's Wrath - Magic Affinity C, Fire Affinity F, Wind Affinity F, Magic Area Of Effect F, Spell Duration F, Magic range E, Magic Targets F -The caster's chest swells with air and upon exhaling a torrent of fire is released that is enhanced by wind. The flames spread out in a cone shape and up to a maximum length of 30ft and width of 10ft. - Grade C - 10ft range, 30ft Cone AoE - 3 Post Cooldown
Elvario Elvario

9D7Sx0f.jpg

Ceylan

Yep the fox was a magic user alright. Shouting fire and wind like it was nothing. That said, Ceylan had no clue what to do in this situation and he failed to see through Seikatsu's deception (technically not a persuasion, but I'll roll with it) as he wasn't exactly in the state of mind to think things through calmly and rationally. Even in his current situation, he cared more about the others than himself, as he knew one of those brothers and sisters might be Mira, who he'd left behind, or some of the orphans whom he grew up with, or priests that taught him all he knew...

He gathered his courage to reply to Seikatsu, wishing to say that he'd never serve this fox, but he changed his mind. He had to be rational about this. “What would you do if I would learn how to...” 'Heal you.' would've finished the sentence, but his reply was cut short by the command to have his legs taken from him.

The two ogres that'd managed to grab a hold of Ceylan first smiled broadly at the command to eat the dog's limbs. They knew the other three would start to demand their share if they weren't quick, so they lifted up the priest above their heads and bit right down onto the legs, one for each, hoping to snap them off with ease... except they didn't really snap off. The ogres were sure they were biting down hard, as they heard thinks crack and the nice flavour juices were flowing out rather well. It was almost like a piece of jerky, very flavourful and chewy. The ogres kept chewing away at the noisy one's legs, enjoying the flavour.

Ceylan was logically shocked by the command, as he closed his eyes, not daring to look at what was coming. Closed eyes didn't stop a feeling, as the immense pain of getting his legs bitten off made him scream out in agony and terror. However, his legs didn't fall off. The same bindings that [maimed] him were now somehow keeping his legs somewhat together. Only somewhat. His bones broke easily at the force of the Ogre's teeth, somehow finding new parts to break with every time the ogre chewed. Blood flowed freely as skin got scraped off. His legs were quickly turned into mangled flesh and bone between the god's bindings, yet every time the bindings tied them somewhat back in shape, they were chewed on again. Only a few chews later, they were mangled beyond imagination.

Some gods had mercy on Ceylan, as the dog finally passed out from the immense pain. However, it was clear that he'd soon bleed to death if the ogres didn't stop chewing and if he wasn't treated very soon. Were Seikatsu to (eventually) go through sparse Ceylan's belongings, he'd spot the dog had a map of the mountains with him, along with a route towards a high-up mountain cabin labelled 'cardinal'. It didn't take a genius to put two and two together and figure that the dog was likely trying to make his way towards a higher-ranked person in his church to get rid of his maimed status. That said, the map missed some details and some markings were strange to the fox, so it was unclear if he'd be able to make his way there on his own.

1664034662752.png
Seikatsu Mitsunari

As the ogres turned Ceylan into a midday snack, Mitsunari was more focused on the state of the man's legs. They were still attached to his body and Ceylan's screams meant he could feel them still. "A curse and a boon." The other two three ogres were ready to dine on the priest's arms as their master had commanded, but Mitsunari had a sudden change of mind. "Put him down." He commanded. The ogres groaned, but conceded to their master's wishes and placed Ceylan on his back. The fox approached the mangled hound and crouched down beside his legs. It appeared that the damage had been done, but his legs remained whole. He was sure their conditions were different, but it left him wondering how his own might respond in such a situation.

"Fox's Gift." His black tails danced about behind while he waved his right hand over Ceylan's unconscious form. The spell wrapped around him and started to heal his wounds. Healing magic was not Mitsunari's forte, but he had learnt a few things in his travels. In his current condition it had become somewhat necessary. While the spell worked to mend the dog's wounds, Mitsunari turned instead to his belongings. "What is our dear priest carrying around?" He would pass over everything in favor of a map. Having tacked the dog to these mountains, he was curious as to where he was headed.

"Cardinal?" He peered back at Ceylan, a knowing expression now on his face. "Seeking help from a power greater than your own? Resourceful." Mitsunari packed the bag up once more, but kept the map. "One of you carry him. We have our destination." He kept the map in hand and threw the bag to one of the ogres as another one of them picked Ceylan up and threw him over their shoulder. The group wasted no time setting out, following Ceylan's map as best they could.

• Fox's Gift - Magic Affinity C, Magic Range E, Magic Targets E, Healing E - Cloaks targets in a pale green aura that then begins to heal their wounds, cure one disease, or non-lethal poison. - 30ft Range, 5 Target Maximum - C Grade - 3 Post Cooldown
Cooldowns:
Amaterasu's Wrath (1/3)
Fox's Gift (0/3)

Elvario Elvario Silent Angel Silent Angel

Malerie
33414975_g6x6VxoKNBXct2z.png

Malerie trudged along, somewhat cursing her somewhat weak body. She wasn't one to go on hikes normally, even if they were good for her, and even in her previous life she mainly worked out by doing yoga and power walking, not hiking. She glared up the mountain, wishing ill on the rocks themselves. Not so much the people who lived on it, as they probably had their reasons, but the mountain itself was a pile of refuse in her opinion, and truly she wouldn't mind if the whole world was much more flat overall. Would make her travels just that much easier, at the very least.

As her mind was caught up in those muses, her train of thought was broken by a scream. Not just a scream, but a scream that came from a voice that was... almost familiar. She put on a burst of speed and ran up towards where it came from and saw a group of very... interesting people. One was a familiar priest, and his predicament made her gasp in both shock and pity. "Jesus Christ, what happened to you?" She said it in a low tone, but with heightened hearing it very well could have been clearly made out by the kitsune. Her eyes quickly made out the other 6 people, which quickly made her realize how bad of a situation she was truly in.

She slowly started to step away, but one more look down at Ceylan made her know that if he didn't get any help, he wouldn't live much longer. Her hands closed into fists as she did her best to steel herself, checking her bag for necessary herbs and medicine, and she slowly and nervously started to walk towards the group.​

9D7Sx0f.jpg
Mentions: Mitsunari LadyOfStars LadyOfStars | Malerie Silent Angel Silent Angel

Although the attempted healing cleaned up the legs a bit, closing some of the cuts and the more superficial wounds, as well as curing any diseases the Ogre's foul spit might've left in Ceylan's blood, the heavily mangled legs were far too damaged to fully restore (even though that was never Mitsunari's intention to begin). However, an additional problem would present itself. To heal significant injuries to the point they'd no longer be lethal, he'd need far better (C-Grade at least) healing and considering the heavily mangled, broken, twisted and shattered state of bone, flesh and muscle alike, as well as the very significant blood-loss, it was only a matter of time before the passed-out Ceylan would meet his makers as a result of dying to the remaining injuries.

Following the map in a general direction would not be too difficult, as a small village closer to the mountains was the next destination on it. However, form there, it'd probably be a much bigger challenge due to some of the markings being difficult to interpreted for those not familiar with the faith and whatever methods they used to ensure only the worthy could meet their cardinals.

It's a that point that Malerie would enter the scene, lured in by the sound of Ceylan's cries of agony. It would be up to Mitsunari how he'd perceive the newcomer, but even though he didn't possess an appraisal ability and even though Malerie wasn't as clear a monster as most, his sharp senses would be able to pick up on the fact that she wasn't your average peasant, nor a fellow priest.

1664134722248.png
Seiktasu Mitsunari

As they crossed the terrain, Mitsunari stopped parodically to check on Cey;an's condition. Although he had the mutt's map, he could not make sense of most of the symbols on it and knew he would need Ceylan's knowledge to proceed, so he could not let him perish. The village that was marked upon the map would be the best chance of healing the man before he would be able to cast his spell again. "There is a village up ahead. If there are no healers then it may serve as a good source of food." He teased to the ogres. It was while he mused about eating people that the fox would hear the voice of someone nearby. He turned quickly on his heels and his eyes darted about in search of the interloper.

And there he saw it, a figure watching them. "What are you?" He whispered as he stepped away from the ogres to single himself out as its leader. "Come closer friend!" He called to the stranger, beckoning them closer with a wave of his hand. Whatever it was, it did not appear human and so Mitsunari spoke in the language of the monsters, hoping that he had stumbled upon something he could entice with violence and the perhaps even subjugate.

He didn't have too much time to spend on this engagement, but he could not turn his back on them either, not before knowing whether they were friend or foe.

Cooldowns:
Amaterasu's Wrath (2/3)
Fox's Gift (1/3)

Malerie

Malerie's eyes flicked from the man to the ogres, but she was a bit too deep to back out at that point. She took in a shaky breath, before saying in the common tongue, "I'm not sure what you just said, but if I got the hand waving right, then I must refuse, as I'm not getting any closer than I need to." She swallowed before glancing around once more, as if wondering where to dart to if the man tried to force her to come closer.

Eventually her eyes fixed on Ceylan. "Umm... With my professional opinion, that man is dying, and considering you're still carrying him, I can assume you'd rather him not. I'm a doctor. I don't have any fancy magic or the like, but I am rather good with medicine, and I might be able to help him, if you would allow me. But... I would prefer if your friends," She tilted her head towards the ogres, "kept their distance while I work. To be honest, people like them make me nervous. Especially with... you know..." She motioned to her mouth, drawing attention to the blood that caked theirs. "It's kind of unsanitary."

1664215261231.png
Seikatsu Mitsunari

"You're in no position to make demands of me."
MItsunari quickly replied as he glanced back at the ogres and then to the woman once more. The ogres were his defenders and whether or not this woman was a threat to him still remained to be seen. Although she had yet to display any power and didn't appear to carry any weapons, so he had his doubts. "Put him down." By his command the ogres laid Ceylan on the ground and Mitsunari moved to stand by the canine's head while the ogres formed a semi circle around them, standing just close enough to allow them to reach out and grab the fox or the priest if need be.

"If you're capable of saving his life then do so, otherwise you will be the doctor that condemned him to death over a little discomfort." While Ceylan would be useful in finding this cardianal, Mitsunari doubted he was the only person in the world who could understand the markings on the map. Other members of his church could be found and forced to decipher it. That would be a long and tedious process of course, but Mitsunari had nothing but time.

"If she tries to run, kill her." Mitsunari instructed.

Malerie

Malerie started to walk forward, saying, "The keeping their distance isn't just because of me not liking them. They obviously aren't sanatized and them doing anything with the wounds could very well make them even worse than they already are." She knelt down, looking at them. "Though by the looks of it, they already made these wounds horrible. And as for condemning him to death over discomfort, whoever caused these wounds would have condemned him to death if I didn't come along. The legs hold important arteries for the human body, or I guess the beastman body in this case, and these legs are mangled. It looks like some sort of healing magic has been cast, but even with that he would bleed out within an hour, maybe two."

She began to work, first making sure every part of the wounds were disinfected before going about actually fixing the wounds. Her hands were in and out of her bag for a good while, grabbing herbs and medicine that she either put on the legs or made him ingest. The process was somewhat slow, but the first thing she gave him seemed to have slowed the bleeding and put his body in a general state of rest. Soon she grew close to completion, bandaging the wounds, but she had saved his life using her knowledge to [Heal What Ails You].

• Heals What Ails You - Medicine B, Healing B - Using her medicine knowledge in addition to her healing knowledge, Malerie can strengthen her healing ability. - Grade B - 3 Post Cooldown

9D7Sx0f.jpg

Ceylan

Malerie's healing managed to close up the wounds on Ceylan's legs enough to stop him from bleeding to death. Her herbs and medication from the medicine managed to get him to wake up from his passed-out state. Even so, he felt horrible. Woozy from blood-loss and in pain from his legs still being rather [maimed] from the curse and having barely settled into a bit of a 'normal' shape again. When he opened his eyes to see Malerie, he was thoroughly confused and for a moment, he thought he was back in the Holy City of Vegard again.

However, when he also saw the Ogres and Mitsunari, he quickly realised the gods had merely sent Malerie on his path to have her extend his life a bit longer. He wasn't sure why, as he'd almost made peace with his death, but he knew there had to be some reason for it. His first thought was that he should be very careful not to make known that he knew Malerie, as that'd probably put her in danger. His second thought surprised even himself. He should logically feel a lot of hatred for the man who'd put him through a lot of pain and torture, but he didn't. Was this a task set upon him by the gods? To test the limits of his faith by having him try to convert someone that nearly murdered him?

He wasn't sure. The blood-loss didn't exactly smooth over his thinking capacity, for what it was worth. “Thank you for saving me, kind stranger.” He addressed Malerie first. His deception wasn't the best, but perhaps Mitsunari would just chalk it up a lack of sincerity or something else, instead of assuming an existing relation between the two.

That left the difficult part, as he turned to Mitsunari and felt a shiver run down his spine. He really didn't want to experience the pain from moments ago all over again, but if he didn't try now, he'd knew he'd never find the courage or fortitude to ever try again. “We've gotten off on the wrong foot.” Understatement of the century. “Allow me to properly introduce myself. I'm Ceylan, High Priest of the Syncretist Church.”

Was he going to do this or not? A last shred of doubt filled him, but he shoved it aside. “I'm willing to guide you to a Cardinal of our faith, someone whom could cure both our conditions. However, I can't guarantee he'll help you. In return, I'd like for you to tell me your story.” Short after he said it, he looked through his pack for his map, only to realise it wasn't in there.

1664382828288.png
Seikatsu Mitsunari

Now that she had come closer he could se the woman better, but still was unsure of what her species was. He had never seen another creature with her features before. He watched the woman do her work and took note of Ceylan's reaction to the various instruments at her disposal. She was skilled and that could not be denied, Ceylan was lucky that she happened upon them when she did, although he would be able to cast his healing spell again very soon. Was her willingness to lend her talent purely out of a desire to do good or was there more to her involvement the fox wondered.

Finally the priest awoke and he was speaking too. He found it weird however that the canine chose to introduce himself to him rather than to the woman that saved his life. He was left wondering if there was something he did not know about the two of them. So he wasn't just some random priest it seemed, that was probably the most interesting thing about the dog. He was someone of importance within his faith and to Mitsunari that made him just a little more valuable.

It was a strange request to want to know his story, but Mitsunari would prefer not to torture the priest again and have him lose consciousness. "Fine. You're physician friend may tag along too." Mistunari gestured to the Ogre nearest Ceylan and with a powerful hold on the canine's arm he lifted Ceylan up to his feet. "But we walk and talk, priest. My ogres need to eat and there is a village up ahead that should have ample supply of food for them."

Cooldowns:
Fox's Gift (3/3)

Malerie

Malerie blinked in surprise at the fact that Ceylan didn't seem to recognize her. After all, she wasn't exactly hard to remember. How many other gray skinned girls with masks for faces had he met, she wondered. Her eyes went from Ceylan to Seikeatsu, her face slowly moving into a frown. Something was going on between the two of them and she had to admit, she didn't exactly like it.

Her eyes focused on the fox beast man once more. She really felt like there was something off about him, but she wasn't completely sure what. However, she soon learned one reason when he said that there was plenty to eat in a nearby town. That... didn't seem right. Something about the way he said that put her on edge, and she couldn't help but ask, "Supply of food? What kind of food do they eat?"

Ceylan

Somehow, the fox wasn't going to get the ogres to try eating his legs all over again. That was a relief. However, the next problem arose. The presence of ogres would no doubt be a great disturbance to the village they were heading for. Besides, if Ceylan recalled the ones living near here correctly... Although Ceylan couldn't detect any specific malice, there was a certain eagerness and aggression that disturbed him. “Is there any chance I could convince you to have your ogres stay behind whilst we go and obtain food for them, so that they will not cause panic in the village?”

Knowing that he wasn't in a position to argue, he'd start heading for the village regardless of the answer. That said, he maimed legs weren't suddenly going to make him any faster, especially not after the treatment from the ogres, so he'd be back to the slow and steady if left to his own devices. He had ulterior motives though, as he was really hoping Malerie would volunteer to support him. First of all so he wouldn't be in the hands of those ogres again, secondarily so he could whisper; “Thanks for saving me, Malerie, but this man is trouble. You've got to make a run for it the moment you've got a chance.”

The village that started to get visible on the horizon was a very simple one, not even having a wall around it. All in all, there were maybe 10-12 buildings, mostly cattle farms. A large amount of sheep was walking around in pens outside the village, as it looked like they were going to be sheared soon.

1664466327363.png
Seikatsu Mitsunari

The kitsune's eyes focused on the woman for but a moment when she inquired to the type of food that the ogres would eat. He scoffed at her assumption that she could speak to him any further. She was tagging along solely to keep Ceylan from dying, should his would require medical attention in the future that neither of the two magic users could attend to. In truth he saw them both as his prisoners and had no intentions of conversing with them, expect for the fact thar he bargained with Ceylan. That alone would be the only reason he conversed with the priest.

It seemed however that Ceylan too had worries similar to the beak-faced woman. "Where I go they go." Mitsunari quickly declared. "I highly doubt that a crippled priest and...whatever you are..." He dismissively waved his hand in Malerie's direction. "...could manage to carry enough food to feed them all anyway." The ogres were Mitsunari's only line of defense, he would never part with them again, not after the last time he traveled solo.

As the group started to move once more, Mitsunari and the ogres trailed close behind. His own affliction made walking a chore as well, but he had learn to conceal his pain his suffer in silence. Fortunately the village they had been discussing came into view and Mitsunari opened the map that he had taken from Ceylan. He looked it over, comparing the location of the village to other markings on the map, but still couldn't make sense of everything.

"Given our current pace, Priest, how long do you suspect it will take us to reach your cardinal?" Mitsunari inquired. The ogres would need to eat their fill if they were to be walking for a long time, otherwise they would get angry and even Mitsunari could not cage five disgruntled monsters. Food was part of survival after all.

When the sound of the village reached his ears, Mitsunari raised his left hand to instruct the ogres not act of their own accord. "Wait for my command. You will all get to eat before the day is out."

9D7Sx0f.jpg

Ceylan

It was tough news to learn the fox wouldn't go without his ogres. However, he did have a counterargument. “We could herd back some sheep. They'll eat sheep, right?” The next question was a bit more difficult to answer. Ceylan knew his life was on the line here, so he should say something of use, but not everything... “The path isn't exactly made to be easily accessible, so it'd depend on how easily we can pass through everything along the way and what the current condition of the roads higher in the mountains is like. I'd estimate it might take a day or three at least.”

However, as they went closer to the village, they ran into someone leaving the village. It was a young looking sheepfolk with her herd of sheep, about 20 of them, as she was likely taking them back to the fields after having been recently sheared.

Maya
oybOfWa.png
8ItANhA.png

As she spotted their group, she waved at them. “Hello travellers!” She hurried to meet with them with a gleeful smile. She glossed over all of them equally, but her smile only widened when she saw Mitsunari's three tails. “Oh, wow! You're a Kitsune, aren't you sir? That's so cool! My mother always used to tell stories about them, how they're magical and powerful and protectors of the weak! Is that true sir? Is that why you've got these giant red man with you?” She was blissfully unaware of any danger she might be in. “Are all of you on your way into the mountains?” She asked next, with a wondering look as she tilted her head a bit.

Ceylan, meanwhile, was praying to any god he could think off that Mitsunari wasn't the type of person to kill this girl without a though and have her and her sheep eaten by his Ogres. If worst came to worst, though, he'd be ready to do whatever he could to save the girl.

Seikatsu Mitsunari

1664555199903.png

Ceylan was very invested in the idea of keeping his ogres at a distance and Mitsunari could not blame the priest. The monsters would need to eat soon and after having been a poor excuse for a snack, Ceylan could probably tell how hungry they were. On top of that he was given a brief glimpse into how calloused the fox could be. In truth he had not made up his mind on the matter of whether the ogres would dine on the villagers or not. And Ceylan was going to great lengths to try and avoid that possibility. But before he could speak, they were approached by sheep, ascended and not so.

Looking down at the girl as she spoke, Mitsunari was brought back to his days in the empire. There were all manner of beastmen there and one such person was a sheepfolk. Back then they were all victims of the empire's slave laws and although he was not looking for friends and family, those close quarters and traumatic experiences forced them all to build a bond. He broke that bond back then, turning those friends and would-be family into his weapon against their masters. But here he was presented with the chance to avoid repeating the past. This girl mentioned his kind were considered protectors and idolized in a way. And yet the republic allowed the empire to thrive while many of their kin suffered under such cruel conditions.

"I am a protector." Mitsunari replied with a cold tone. "Eat the flock, spare the girl." His eyes never left the girl's form as he gave the order and the ground started to tremble. The ogres spent on time on thought letting their hunger guide them as they rushed towards the herd of sheep. The kitsune crouched down to be at eye level with the girl. "The world is cruel young one and to protect you and all our kind from its evil, I must do terrible things." He was no guardian angel or tender of the weak; those days of caring for his sickly brother were behind him. Yet he could not sentence this innocent to death, not when there was nothing to be gained from it.

9D7Sx0f.jpg

Maya
oybOfWa.png
8ItANhA.png

The girl could only watch in shock as her entire flock got eaten. Panicked bleating and the sounds of bones being broken by teeth, blood dripping from ogre mouths and bits and pieces of skin and bones flying from them. For the young sheep-girl, it was horror. After all, she'd known this flock ever since she was a kid and her parents had only recently allowed her to start taking them out to the fields. Not only that, but they were her family's capital. Without them, how would they earn money for food? Would her parents ever forgive her for loosing them? Tears formed into her eyes, although she didn't move an inch, stunned by fear. However, when Mitsunari said it was to protect them, a tiny glint of hope appeared. “Is it really for everyone's protection?” She asked him, clearly trying to put up a bit of a brave face. “Will you pinky-promise me?” She said, holding up her pink towards Mitsunari.

Ceylan

Although he knew it was cowardice, Ceylan felt a lot of relief when the ogre's only went after the flock and not the girl herself. Whatever the fox had command them in their strange language, he at least wasn't one for meaningless evil. It meant his decision to not resist him at the cost of his own life might have been a good one. Perhaps, just perhaps, this man might even be redeemable.

Ceylan would wait a bit for the ogres to finish feasting, but would eventually dig through his robes to take out a small coin pouch, handing it to the girl. “It's not much, but it's all I have. Use it wisely and I'm sure you'll eventually be able to get a new flock.”

He then turned to Mitsunari. “Your ogres have eaten. I'm assuming you have no objection to going around the village now, rather than through it?” He pointed to their north-east. “The first mark on the map is the simple mountain-path over there. It's often used by shepherds, so it should be in good enough condition. If we start making our way up there, we can make a good distance into the mountains before dark and spent the night in one of the shepherd's cabins.”

Hopefully having Mitsunari on board with that, he'd return to their previous topic once they were making their way up the mountain. “So, what should I call you?” The fox hadn't replied to Ceylan's introduction, but he hadn't given up the hope of getting a name out of him, be it real of fake.

1664716288292.png
Seikatsu Mitsunari

As he watched, the only thing Mitsunari could think of was how annoying the sheep were as they perished. Listening to humanoids was less irritating to him because he considered it his fanfare. like trumpets symbolizing his victory over an equally capable foe. But he was dragged fro his thoughts by the voice of the little girl once more. She seemed to take him at his word and perhaps that was a testament to the status of his kind in these lands or a showing of the girls gullibility. "When the eastern empire falls, know it was me. Protecting our people." he straightened up and watched Ceylan pass on a purse full of money and for the briefest moment he considered taking it from the girl, but resisted the urge.

"Very well." He conceded to Ceylan's request that they not head into the village. The hound was quite determined to protect those people and their peace. With the priest explaining their path, Mitsunari followed him without question and when they finished consuming the flock the ogres caught up. The fox looked to the long walk ahead of them and let out a heavy sigh.

"Mitsunari." He replied to the question of identity. It had been a while since he had a conversation with someone that wasn't a monster or an enemy. It felt weird to engage in pleasantries. He looked Ceylan over and then thought back to what the sheep girl was wearing. "Is this your priest attire or the way they dress wherever you're from? I have not spent much time in the north, but I don't get the feeling they dress as you do here."

Malerie

Malerie assisted Caylan to his feet, looking him over before frowning. He didn't look well, even with her healing. She shook her head before turning, putting an arm around him to steady him as they walked. When she heard what he said, however, she whispered back out of the corner of her mouth, "I could get that he was bad news. However, I'm not leaving without you."

Malerie grit her teeth at the sound of rending flesh, but at least the girl was safe. That was something she wouldn't be taking for granted. She glanced at each of the three non monsters, her teeth on edge. She... really disliked this... kitsune? He was a horrible person who seemed to be completely fine harming those who can't fight back as long as it lead to his goal. She had taken an oath to do no harm, so for her, there was nothing worse than doing harm to another person without reason. Though he might think his reasons are good, in her eyes he was just as much of a monster as his ogres.

Her eyes flicked to Ceylan, wondering if bringing this person to wherever he needed to go was truly a good idea. He didn't seem trustworthy in the slightest, and she had a sinking feeling that he would do his best to get what he wanted one way or another, no matter who he had to hurt to do it. And she was also sure that if he had a reason, he would have harmed the girl he claimed to be protecting without a second thought. She wanted to leave, but she didn't like her chances of outrunning these things, and she definitely didn't like Ceylan's chances. So for now, all she could do was trust the dog man.​

Last edited:
9D7Sx0f.jpg

The sheep-girl crashed to her knees short after the group left, clutching the coin purse in her hands whilst trying to come to terms with what just happened.

Ceylan

Ceylan, on the other hand, was somewhat pleasantly surprised. Not only did he get a name that didn't sound fake, the fox-man was actually asking him a question. If it wasn't for the fact his legs had nearly been eaten off on this man's command, he'd almost be happy about it. Scrap that, he was happy about it. His tail would betray such sentiments, although it was a slow wag. After all, he was still somewhat careful about whom he was dealing with. “It's a combination of those. The underclothes are from where I'm from, the overgarments are vestments from our church. We don't have any strict dress-codes, but most of us wear something like this to at least be identifiable.”

Considering Mitsunari has asked him a question, Ceylan was feeling rather brave, so he asked one in return. “I take it you're not a fan of the Eastern Empire either?” He carefully observed the man's reaction (Empathy D) to those words. “Our church has a long and troubled history with them, as we heavily condemn their acts of slavery. They arrested our priests on accusations of helping slaves escape on multiple occasions, so it's a dangerous place for us to wonder, especially those of our kind. They even tried sentencing one of our bishops to death over the murder of a slaver.”

As they kept walking, he had to lean more and more on Malerie as the healing wore off and his maimed legs started to hurt and slow him more and more. He'd also go considerably slower by minute. On top of that, he could sense her concern. That was something he could maybe do something about... “I'll have to warn you though, Mitsunari. The cardinal we're headed for is a strange man, even for those of our faith. I've be warned he might not even wish to heal me, so I'm not sure what your chances would be. He didn't sound the type to be susceptible to threats or bribes either.” Those words were all genuine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back