• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Graded [Paizu Mountains] The Fox and The Hound

1666198007047.png
Seikatsu Mitsunari

A heavy sigh slipped from the fox's lips as he watched the beast fall to his ogres. It managed to survive his spell and that had impressed Mitsunari. If he weren't here for other reasons he might have tried to subjugate the bird. But for now he would take his victory instead. Now he was down two ogres unfortunately and he could only hope that their next encounter would be the cardinal and not another threat.

After walking for some time and having kept to himself and his monsters, who took it upon themselves to drag along some of the bird for food, Mitsunari heard Ceylan's voice again. It was weird to think that not too long ago the priest was a statue.

"Raijin." He corrected. "In japan he is worshipped as the god of thunder. But like I said before, there are no gods where I come from. Just tales that help make sense of the world." He used to believe when he was a child and coming here his faith was restored momentarily, but he had yet to see the deities which he was familiar with. Only the one who burnt him.

"I am a self taught caster. Learning as I travel." In truth he had never once thought about seeking out a mentor, but now that he had come so far he doubted he would be able to find one. "I assume your church assisted you in honing your skills? What is the limit of your magic?" Those Mitsunari had interrogated to find Ceylan were not very clear on what the priest was capable, but they all praised his healing capabilities.

Cooldown:
Raijin's Fury: (1/3)

Elvario Elvario Silent Angel Silent Angel

Halfway Into the Paizu Mountains
8404d28b23a6d80263177213eb50f5a9.jpg
Mentions: Mitsunari LadyOfStars LadyOfStars | Malerie Silent Angel Silent Angel

Ceylan

Their journey moved on without encountering any more hostile wild-life. That said, as they were getting deeper into the mountains, the area around them was getting more and more treacherous. Especially the large ogres had trouble following along, as their sizes didn't allow them to easily manoeuvre some ledges. Ceylan and Minstunari, meanwhile, had go to through great lengths to try climbing up some of the rocks (or figure out other options), as the path they were taking clearly wasn't one that was traversed often or easily and some parts were in disrepair due to rock slides taking out chunks of it.

Even so, Ceylan was interest to hear more about the fox's stories. “No offence, but you say that there aren't any gods where you're from. Yet if that world and this world are connected, couldn't it be that the gods here are also present there, yet merely chose not to interrupted with that world for some reason?” His question was driven by genuine curiosity, as a world without gods felt too strange an idea to him. “Also, I can't help but wonder, but you do not seem fond of gods, yet you still call upon the name of one. Is there a reason for it?”

Ceylan was fairly impressed that Mitsunari was self-taught, as his abilities certainly suggested a good teacher to be behind them. “Part of them, yes. Healing is one of the pillars of the Syncretist Church, although more mundane methods are still more common than magic ones.” He fell silent for a bit at the next question. “It's... complicated.” He wasn't sure how much he should say. Eventually, he decided to just be honest. “I tried bringing back the dead once, but I failed. I thought I was strong enough, but perhaps I was not, or perhaps it is something the gods didn't deem to be a good thing. I also can't cure my own legs from the curse bestowed upon them, yet I was able to cleanse a corrupted minor deity once.” At the notion of it, he wondered if he should tell Mitsunari about his encounter with the tree deity.

Before he could, however, their next hurdle arrived. A small, unnatural looking rock formation bridged a deep ravine. “We'll have to cross here...” Ceylan said, trying not to look down. (OOC: They'd be arriving from the left side, having to cross to the right side.) As he said it, he could feel the wind's currents moving around between these formations a fair bit faster and harder than elsewhere. Narrow. Windy. Slippery, perhaps. He wasn't eager to cross this on maimed legs, it was the only way he knew.

1666375214321.png
Seikatsu Mitsunari

Struggle would not begin to describe Mitsunari's experience as the group ascended the mountain side. The size of his ogres had not gone unnoticed, but the fox would drag them to the edge of the earth if their legs would carry them there. It seemed that his declaration of there being no gods in his home world might have bothered Ceylan, which was understandable. "So far I have seen the gods here pluck people from other worlds to bring here and place curses upon people. If they have access to my world have yet have done nothing to build up or break down that world then they do not exist there. They are here, actively participating in the lives of this world and leaving other worlds alone and isolated." All the kitsune could think of was how many people suffered in his old world or how the corrupt triumphed and there seemed to be no hint of divine influence working for or against anyone. Deities did actively live in that world therefore they did not exist. Mitsunari paused for a moment, catching his breath and surveying their surroundings. Ceylan's questioning was starting to irritate him, but he reminded himself that he needed the priest's guidance. "It is simply a name, try not to read too much into it." He declared in regards to the naming of his spell.

It seemed that Ceylan was full of stories, more so than Mitsunari had expected. "You must be the most well-traveled priest of this age." He praised, To think that someone would have had so much experience and although he was no fan of the divine, he still considered meeting one a n impressive feat. He was brought back from his thoughts when he heard Ceylan speak about their path and then heard the howling winds. This would be just as dangerous as fighting that cockatrice, perhaps more so.

No spell in his arsenal would be capable of countering the winds that threatened to sweep them off the bridge and he doubted Ceylan possessed something to counter it. The fox's eyes went to the ogres. They may be heavy enough to withstand the wind, but they had to hope the bridge could support their weight. He looked around the area once more, thinking further on their possible options.

He spotted some of the large rock formations and noticed the length of the formations. "Priest." He called to Ceylan. "Think one of those could be knocked down to be used as a sturdier bridge? We could then let the ogres carry us across the bridge without fear that the bridge would break. " He wasn't sure how they'd go about doing that, but their minds might come up with something when put together.

Cooldown:
Raijin's Fury: (2/3)

Ceylan observed the hanging rock formations Mitsunari talked about. “Perhaps..?” He replied, although very unsure. “I'm not sure how we could bring them down though, let alone in a way that'd allow them to function as a new bridge. Besides... there are rumours that giants live in these mountains. This path should be inaccessible to them, but I'd rather not try my luck by spending a lot of time here and making a lot of noise.”

In the end, he shook his head. “I'm sorry, all I can come up with is saying a praying and trying to crawl across one by one. I'm sure it should hold us, at least, but I'm not sure about your ogres.” He quickly glossed over what the others were carrying, then sighed. “It seems like none of us brought any rope along, so I'm afraid we can't use that either.” He looked at the narrow bridge, surrounded by howling winds. His tail dropped, but he swallowed his fear. “Shall I go first?”

He approached the edge of where the bridge started, feeling the howling winds pull on him already. “Abeona keep us safe.” He uttered a small prayer to one of the deities of travellers. This was going to be tough. He wasn't particularly afraid of heights, but any sane person would fear this deadly height. Unless one of the others would stop him, he'd get down on all fours, trying to give the wind as little as possible area to push against, then started to craw onto the bridge. Twice he had to grab hold of the rocks and clasp onto it for dear life, but eventually, he managed to reach the other side. Now it'd be Mitsunari's and Malerie's turns.

1666551385337.png
Seikatsu Mitsunari

"Giants?" It was infuriating to just be learning about the presence of such threats now that they were this far into their journey. While he was angry at the sudden development, he could not turn back now. First the bird and now this. Mitsunari stepped closer to the ledge and right away he could feel the strength of the wind, it would be dangerous from him to try crossing without the help of the ogres, but he agreed with Ceylan that they would be too heavy. "Damn it." He stepped back from the ledge and turned to look at the red monster, but before he could address them, Ceylan started to cross the bridge. Mitsunari was impressed. He wasn't sure if Ceylan was bravely going first or foolishly trying to inspire them to face this danger. Perhaps it was neither, maybe he was desperate to find this healer.

"Remain here. We will regroup after I've been healed." The fox told his pets. It was his turn now and he wouldn't let his fears of what could happen get in the way of what awaited him. He stepped to the edge of the suspicious looking bridge and then stepped out of his geta. With a deep breath he prepared himself, steeling his nerves. "Just move...if he can do it so can I." Like Ceylan had done, Mitsunari got down and proceeded to crawl across the bridge. His ears were tucked back and his tails were wrapped around his waist He moved carefully, but could feel the wind beating against his side and his breath being snatched away from him. His geta were in his right hand and his left hand clawed at the ground, searching for any purchase that might help keep him from falling off. He never once looked back as he moved, his eyes forever forward.

Cooldown:
Raijin's Fury - (3/3)
Elvario Elvario

Malerie

The woman hummed as she listened to the other two talk, somewhat lost in her own world as she pushed the syringe into her bag once she was sure that the insides were completely ready. She watched both of them go over, her eyes searching the bridge earnestly as she wondered if it would give way or not. However, after the second member of the party crossed, she decided that it would be best if she did so too. After all, if two people suffering debilitating curses could cross, why couldn't she?

She moved across carefully, but still slightly faster than the other two. A small grin was spreading over her face as she looked at the other side, noting that the ogres made no move to follow. Possibly their master didn't trust that the bridge could hold them. That meant that, if she went a seperate way once they reached the healer, more likely than not the man couldn't stop her. Good~

She finally reached the other end, hopping of the bridge onto solid ground, a grin plain on her face. "So, where to now, Rover?" Her eyes became unfocused as she giggled, remembering that as one of the stereotypical names the other one had known before that. Interesting. It wasn't a name you would really hear around these parts, but it had a cute ring to it. Yes, the priest's nickname was now rover~​

Mitsunari would feel the winds pull and tug at him as they strengthened and weakened sporadically from the gentle caress of a breeze to outright attempts to blow him into the abyss. A particular strong breeze managed to move him right up to the edge of the abyss, before his grasping left hand managed to clasp onto a piece of rock that allowed him to hold-on for dear life. Eventually, with roughed up hands and knees, he managed to join Ceylan on the other side.

Malerie was able to follow suit, although as she moved, she could see cracks form in the bridge below her. A combination of its sudden usage, the howling winds and its already decrepit state had made it start to give in to the elements. She'd be about halfway when the cracks formed broadly enough to even be heard, forcing her into a careful balancing act of going slow as to not be blown off yet fast as to make sure she wouldn't stay on this bridge long enough for it to break down and throw her into the abyss below. Like Mitsunari, however, she eventually made it.

Ceylan

Ceylan had been watching them with a fast beating heart. The thought that he'd be free if Mitsunari wouldn't make it hadn't even occurred to him. Instead, he'd just been genuinely concerned about the others crossing or not. When they both made it, he gave a deep sigh of relief. That said... “I'd prefer it if you wouldn't call me that. Ceylan will do just fine.” He had no clue what 'Rover' meant, but it sounded like an insult.

A narrow mountain path allowed them to continue their way forwards, although it was getting dark again. They'd be forced to spent the night in a small natural alcove in the mountainside. After a cold and uncomfortable night on the hard stone soil, they were able to travel onwards at first light the next day. It'd take them all morning, but eventually, Ceylan's tail started to move back and forth. “There it is!” He said, pointing at an odd tower in the distance.

Tower in the Paizu Mountains
9a47dbed22f29f579720a08e6efc79fa.jpg

There was one concern that Ceylan wanted to share, just to be safe. “The cardinal here is... rather eccentric. I haven't been told what to expect, but I have been told it's best to try to go along and hope it'll get you what you want.”

1666718796257.png
Seikatsu Mitsunari

Embarrassment. That was all Mitsunari felt after he arrived to the other side of the unstable bridge. His bandages now stained with fresh blood on his palms and knees, his kimono dirtied from being dragged over the stone, and still even further to go. He stepped back into his geta and let out a heavy sigh as Malerie crossed the bridge now. Her choice of name for Ceylan was amusing and Mitsunari could see why the priest didn't particularly like it, but he didn't say anything about it. Instead he followed along in silence, mending his wounds and hoping that they didn't stumbled upon any giants.

When they made camp for the night the kitsune could not rest. Without his ogres he felt vulnerable and the responsibility of making sure Ceylan did not leave him behind was on him alone now. Part of him wanted to put some faith in the canine and believe that he would not flee at the first chance he got, but Mitsunari couldn't bring himself to risk that. So when the sun rose over the mountains and the first light hit his eyes, the kitsune let out a loud yawn, but was on his feet all the same.

As their journey neared its end and the tower came into view, Mitsunari felt his heart rate pick up and adrenaline wake him up. Hearing ceylan's warning reminded Mitsunari that this was a person who shared Ceylan's faith and that he himself was not an upstanding citizen. So before they started towards their destiny, Mitsunari moved closer to Ceylan and crouched down to be on the same eye level as the dog.

"I trust that you're not planning to do anything to keep this cardinal from healing me?" His tone was threatening as he gently grabbed Ceylan's chin to keep the priest's attention fixed on him. "And that you will vouch for me if need be. I did not travel all this way for nothing and if I am forced to leave empty handed, then I will do so with several corpses in tow." He let go of Ceylan's face and straightened back up. This was everything he had been waiting for and he would not let it slip through his fingers. His gaze swept across to the doctor, shooting her a glare that communicated the same threat.

Last edited:
Tower in the Paizu Mountains
9a47dbed22f29f579720a08e6efc79fa.jpg

Ceylan was genuinely confused. His tail, once slowly wagging with growing excitement, instantly stopped doing so when Mitsunari was being all-out aggressive and threatening again. Ceylan liked to believe they'd build up a little bit of trust during their journey thus far, but it turned out he was wrong. If anything, Ceylan felt a little insulted. “If I was planning to get in the way of your healing, I'd have done so sooner. I'm not going to go back on our deal.” There was, however, one thing that Ceylan had to make clear. “That said, someone doesn't just become a Cardinal of our faith without power. It's not someone I'll believe I hold much sway over and it's not someone I expect to be powerless enough to be threatened into submission. If you want to have a chance at getting healed, I'd suggest you play along with whatever he'll ask of us. Even I myself, am not sure how things are going to turn out.”

Without saying more, Ceylan turned to start heading up the path towards the tower. He wasn't sure what to expect at the top, but they were able to make it there uninterrupted. Two large doors confronted them, which took some effort for Ceylan to push over. He would've knocked or something, but he couldn't find a door knocker and his fists barely made any sounds against the massive doors. As the doors slowly opened by the canine pushing with all his strength, it revealed a peculiar tower interior.

620agb6m.jpg

The entire tower had a very 'open' floor plan, as there was nothing separating the various layers at the centre. One could look from top to bottom without issue. However, all sorts of layers, platforms and staircases covered the sides, making room for bookshelves, desks and surprisingly homely looking kitchen and living areas. There were a few rooms off to the sides, but it was unclear what was in them.

AdMRabL.jpg

However, before they could get a better view of the area, they were spotted by at least a dozen of peculiar looking Beasts. One of them started by yelling out in shock. “Look, the door!” Another soon caught on. “Is it a guest?!?” Their voices echoed through-out the tower, where more voices started to join in. “We have guests?!?” “Oh my, there are guests! Get the master!” “Master, there are guests!” “Master! Master!”

Needlessly to say, the many shouting mice and the open tower plan having quite the echo to it was presenting the two with a choir of echo's and shouts. Ceylan was kind-off just standing there, having expected a lot, but definitely not this. It'd be up to the other one to try breaking the ice or to join Ceylan in standing there and hoping the 'master' would show up and put some things to order. Notable, however, was that none of these mice dared to approach them more closely. They did, however, drop whatever task they'd been doing, whether that was reading, cleaning or cooking, to stare at them from the various levels of balcony's and walkways through-out this tower. They'd feel at least 12 sets of eyes stare down on them.

Last edited:
1666899579028.png
Seikatsu Mitsunari

There was no need for a back and forth on the matter, Mitsunari had made his position clear and he would not let warning of the cardinal frighten him. It was to be expected that the person who could defy the curse of deities would be an exceptional power, but Mitsunari was not going to submit to fear. He faced the gods and lived, surely this man or woman would not prove a greater challenge. But he said nothing in response to Ceylan's words, his mind turned towards being restored to his old self.

Arriving to the door of the tower he watched as Ceylan forced open the entrance, an act Mitsunari would have shunned the priest for, so he didn't lift a finger to offer assistance. As the entrance gave way to the interior, Mitsunari gazed up at the height of the tower and marveled at it's design. But then came the voices, soft, small, and legion. His eyes darted about as he paused and took a half step back, prepared to save himself if need be. Only to find mice.

His eyes swept over them in some disgust, but also in curiosity. they summoned their master without hesitation. Perhaps the mice themselves were powerless to remove them, or their obedience unrivaled. The fox looked to Ceylan and saw that the canine made no moves or introductions. So he would take the lead.

Clacking of his wooden shoes signaled his movement as he stepped forward to be the center of attention for all with the ability to perceive him. "I am Seikatsu Mitsunari!" He declared. "I have come here in search of your master as only his power can heal my grievous wounds! We have traveled far in search of the Cardinal who we have heard boast a great power." If the cardinal was eccentric as Ceylan warned, then a bit of flattery might gain them some favor.

Tower Interior
620agb6m.jpg
AdMRabL.jpg

Mitsunari's voice would soon find itself echo through the tower along with the choir of mouse voices. Sadly enough, their replies weren't all that useful. “He's looking for the master!” “Someone get the master!” “Did you see the master?” “Master, master!”

“Quite now!”

A voice echoed from somewhere at the top of the tower. Instantly, all the mice stopped their chatter. The owner of this voice soon showed himself... namely by jumping down from the top floor. An image of white, light yellow feathers and robes crashed towards the ground, only for the figure to spread out his wings near the bottom and safely glide the last bit down to the floor without issue.

Cardinal Zoilus
qyRUNbf.jpg
LiM0hrV.jpg

As he folded his wings behind his back and stood up straight, it was clear how tall this man was. With a good 2.30 meter (7'7”) he towered above his two guests. As he looked at them, his eyes glowed up with a dull yellow glow, after which he sighed. “A cursed colleague and a cursed murderer. It seems to be an easy question to ask why you are here, and I won't bother asking how you ended up traversing together. No, let's get straight to the point. For what reason do you believe I should aid you?”

Ceylan

Ceylan was a bit taken aback by the directness of his colleague, but he decided to step up. “Because of our creed, sir. You are a Syncretist Cardinal, meaning you too strive towards more good in the world. Healing us would be an act stimulating such good in the world, so I humbly request you rid us of our curses.” With some [Preach] abilities behind those words, they sounded fairly convincing even considering how simple and direct they were. However, the Cardinal did not seem to be swayed by them.

“Then, to the both of you, I'll ask. How would healing you promote any good in the world? Starting with you.” He gazed at Mitsunari, firmly enough to make the fox feel like the Owl was staring straight into his soul. There wasn't the slightest shred of fear in the Owl, as the only emotion one could read on him was a mild curiosity. Although this person wasn't a god, it was clear he had obtained some power that touched the divine itself, as his very presence radiated an odd sort of authority, despite the eccentric demeanour and situation.

Preach – Religion C, Connected C [Syncretist Church] – Character holds a long theological speech about faith. Not very entertaining, but theologically sound. - Grade C - 3 Post Cooldown.

Last edited:
1667059621127.png
Seikatsu Mitsunari

Mitsunari's ears twitched when he heard the rustling of robes from above then and his eyes moved to find the source of the sound, only to see that a large owl-like creature made a quick descent towards them. Eager as he was, Mitsunari didn't think this man a friend and so he stepped bac k as the bird landed, affording him room to react should the cardinal be hostile.

The creature was of an impressive stature and Mitsunari found himself staring up at him in awe somewhat. Something about him was familiar, reminiscent in some way to the goddess who had burnt him. But now was not the time for dwelling in the past, the cardinal's first question brought an answer to Mitsunari's mind almost immediately, but the answer Ceylan gave was not to his liking. It forced the Cardinal to change his questioning.

How he wanted to hit the canine over the head for this. But he needed to give an answer the cardinal would appreciate and approve of. "I cannot lie to you, great Cardinal." The fox started. "I am no hero and I would not hope to be one." His hand reached up to pull at the bandages around his face and dragged them down to reveal the burnt skin beneath. "I have suffered a great deal in this life at the hands of racists humans who bind and shackle those weaker than them. It is my dream to see those people meet an end deserving of their cruelty and people like us set free, yet I cannot make that dream a reality as I am." Now was when he would attempt to sway the owl's mind. To be surrounded by feeble mice and to live in such a location, the owl had to think high of himself and all this served to bolster his ego. So he would hope to play to that.

"It is only with your aide that i can be restored to proper form and see my fighting strength returned to me so that I might see our shared enemies tremble and our kin rise. Help me now and your gift would save thousands more who have suffered like myself. I would be an avenging angel with your help." His words carried with them the truth of Mitsunari's experience and the pain of his time in captivity, but also his desire for blood he felt owed to him. Yet he hoped that those words coupled with [Beguile] would sway the cardinal in their direction.

• Beguile - Persuasion F, Seduction F, - Mitsunari pours on the charm to deceive and/or coerce his target into taking actions they might not have normally. - Grade F

Tower Interior
620agb6m.jpg
AdMRabL.jpg

Cardinal Zoilus
qyRUNbf.jpg
LiM0hrV.jpg

Although it was difficult for beaked creatures to show a smile, it looked suspiciously much like the Cardinal had been smiling through-out Mitsunari's answer. “Your answer seems to be an honest one indeed. Now then, priest, what is yours?” He looked at Ceylan.

Ceylan

Ceylan was caught off-guard a little. He knew the question was coming, that wasn't the issue, but Mitsunari's honesty and directness were unexpected. He'd attempted the fox to try more than a little charming, but perhaps this approach was for the best. Ceylan himself had a much simpler answer. “I merely wish to be able to walk freely again and roam around bringing healing and faith to wherever it is needed.”

The Cardinal nodded. “Now, let me tell you this. What is the key difference between your answers?” He didn't wait for an answer. “There is none. I've learned that words, intentions, desires and even prophecy might change drastically. If I were to undo your curse, priest, only for you to be captured by those Empire slavers to heal their slaves so that they might abuse them all the more without losing productivity, would my act of healing you not bring about all the more despair? If they were to force you to heal their soldiers and fuel their war machine, would you not merely become a cog in a much greater evil? Yet if this criminal's words are true, his quest for vengeance and bloodshed would eventually prevent many from suffering. Healing the one that's seemingly the worse option might be far better than healing a fellow priest. Only the future could tell me, yet the future is unknown... or so I thought.”

The Owl pointed to the staircases. “Join me.” He commanded, as he led them upwards. He could fly up by himself, but he chose to walk so that his guests may follow. “It's been a while since I've had guests and these maids are not the most intellectual of companions, so allow me to regale one of my tales.” He said, as various mice skittered out of their way. “You see, when the gods first deemed me worthy of healing magic strong enough to resurrect the life that died before its time, I was ecstatic and desired only to use it to bring back those that I was sure would change the world for the greater good. So, I started my research. I locked myself away here, in this tower, with books of history from all over the world, looking deeply into the past to find the strongest, most virtuous heroes. I wished to assure myself that whomever I brought back was going to change the world for good, after all.”

As they walked up the stairs, they passed various bookshelves on the balconies that backed up the Owls claim, displaying epics and history books of heroes from all over the continent. “I finally found one. A beast who's blood had dilated with that of the humans, much like yours, taking on more humanoid traits. Even so, he'd been one of the first to strive for the freedom and prosperity of our species. Not through war, but through showing everyone that we were more than just slaves, that we could be heroes and warriors. He was garnering fame and recognition, enough so to start changing the world, perhaps, but he died during a monster invasion. Refusing to retreat when all hope was lost, hoping to save just one more soul that was retreating.”

They slowly kept going up the stairs, now passing the mid-way point. They were up pretty high already, as the owl didn't exactly keep his pace limited to what their [maimed] conditions could keep up with, forcing Ceylan to keep healing himself just to try continuing up these stairs. “Heroic as his ending might make him out to be, it turned out my assumptions were wrong. What I resurrected wasn't the hero I imagined, but something... worse. I realised too late that all his ideals had vanished, that he was a husk of his former self, no longer wishing to save, but wishing only to destroy. My mistake brought a great danger upon this world. My careful planning ruined by an unknown factor that occurred between life and death, or perhaps during death, I do not know.”

As they were getting closer to the top, there were less books and there was more and more magical equipment. Magic crystals, lenses, scrolls, tomes and all sorts of other things of interest and value to a mage. Even including collections of various staves and catalysts. “So, when the past hides its most precious secrets from me, no matter my attempts, I figured I would look into the future instead.” As he said it, he gestured them to some sort of odd looking chair in one of the rooms nearly at the top of the tower. It was surrounded by magic crystals, encircled by carved-in runes and emanating some sort of strange glow. “This, my guests, is my latest project. It allows me to peer into the futures of those that take place in it. If you wish for my healing, all I ask for you is to take place, to see if the words you spoke shall become true or if much darker futures would await you. To see if my aid will not merely have me repeat my greatest failure.”

1667242792375.png
Seikatsu Mitsunari

He wasn't certain, but Mitsunari considered the owl's words to be praise and approval of his goal, which reassured the fox. He was on the right path for sure if this wizened creature thought that his plan might be best. However as they ascending the tower's stairs and heard the tales of old heroes, Mitsunari felt that perhaps his chances og being healed were slipping away. His path was not the same as this hero of old that the owl spoke of, a path of which the cardinal seemed to greatly approve of. Even if the hero had become corrupt in death, his living days were the blueprint. Mitsunari was starting to worry. Only his aching body and bleeding wounds distracted him from the doubts which started to fester. Damn this owl for forcing them to walk these stairs. As Ceylan healed himself, Mitsunari did the same.

Arriving to the top of the stairs and to the room with a chair within, Mitsunari listening to the owl. A device to gaze into the future was genius and Mitsunari found himself wanting it for himself. But he was concerned with what the cardinal might see. While he wanted to destroy the Empire he did have much larger ambitions than that. His glanced at Ceylan and then back to the chair. They would need to do this if they were to be healed. "I'll go first." He declared boldly as he stepped forward. "All I have to do is sit down?" The kitsune minded his step as he moved to the chair and wrapped his tails around his waist to sit down. He was concerned about the safety of this device, but between the three of them their healing capabilities should be enough if anything bad happened. "I am ready Cardinal."

Tower Interior
620agb6m.jpg
AdMRabL.jpg
Mentions: Mitsunari LadyOfStars LadyOfStars

Cardinal Zoilus
qyRUNbf.jpg
LiM0hrV.jpg

“Very well.” The Cardinal said, as Mitsunari sat down. As the Cardinal picked up a tome, Mitsunari would suddenly feel as if gravity drew him into the chair, making it impossible to get up again. The Cardinal started chanting in a language neither he nor Ceylan could make sense off and as the Cardinal's words resounded through the entire tower, the magic circles started to light up, crystals started to glow and catalysts started to shake in place. It was pretty clear some high level magic was being channelled and it was all going to be directed at one particular fox...

Immediately after the rapidly rising tension in the tower reached its climax, Mitsunari would experience a few seconds of completely nothingness. For just a few seconds, he wasn't aware of who he was, what he was or where he was. He just simply 'was' and that was good. Then the images started flooding in. No, it wasn't just flooding, it was torrent of them. It wasn't just one future that he was seeing. No, it was all of them.

One second, he was seated on a throne in a vast yet empty East Empire palace, surrounded by nothing other than the ogres that trembled in fear at the mere sight of him. A feeling of emptiness and hollowness accompanied the vision. Another moment, he was standing in a pool of blood. His own blood. A sword was piercing him through the chest, leaving him to bleed out alone and forgotten. A feeling of solitude and regret overwhelmed him. Another moment, he was caged again by slavers. He felt them spit at him in disgust and contempt. Bitter rage and frustration tore him apart. Another moment, he was sitting in a house, far off from the known world, watching children play whilst lovingly embracing a shape who's form remained unclear to him. Happiness and love warmed his heart. Another moment, he was standing on a battlefield. Countless corpses of beasts, humans, fae and ogres surrounded him, in his hand a catalyst that was casting magic that reigned havoc on everything around him, yet in his eyes a dead and lifeless stare. He felt nothing.

There was one vision, however, that returned multiple times, yet in different forms. A clan of Kitsune, those of his kind. A simple town, hidden away somewhere. People casually chatting with him. Simple, everyday business. Then he saw that same village burned to the ground. Charred remains of its inhabitants. He himself was holding a torch. He did not know why, but he'd feel intense grief and despair. However, only seconds later, he could see that village again. This time, he was training people whilst his ogres building walls. They were preparing for something. He felt fear, but also hope. Another vision, him and a clan of Kitsune were travelling through a desolate wasteland, desperately trying to support each-other to reach some unknown destination. He was walking at the forefront, looking back to see the blurry faces of those who'd entrusted their lives to him. A feeling of gratitude mixed in with a feeling of being burdened by a great burden overwhelmed him.

Then, all of a sudden, he could hear a choir of voices call out to him.
"Awaken, my child, for your future has yet to be made."

With cold sweat coating his fur, he'd be pulled back into reality. To his surprise, the Cardinal had the same intense look upon him, clearly having witnessed much of the same as Mitsunari had. Eventually, however, the Cardinal broke their silence.

“So many roads that lead to despair. So many roads that lead to irredeemable violence.” Oddly enough, tears had formed on the Cardinal's eyes. “Yet they exist. Roads leading you to good. They exist, still.” The Cardinal looked at Ceylan. “Tell me, high priest. Should my aid rely on the chance alone? Should I say his life has too much chance of falling into despair and cast him down right here and now? Or should I aid him, should I hope and pray to the gods that he may find one of the few roads that lead to the greater good?”

Ceylan

Ceylan, having witnessed none of the visions, but having seen and felt much of the magic, needed some time to find the courage to speak up again. “Yes. I believe that the act of granting him the ability to find those roads that lead to good is, in itself, a good we must commit ourselves to.”

The Cardinal gave Ceylan a feint smile. “Very well.” With a simple wave of the Cardinal's staff. Mistunari would feel something he hadn't felt in a very long time. Painless. His cursed burn wounds were no longer covering his body. After spending so much time under constant suffering, it was almost as if his mind still wasn't used to how it felt to not feel any pain at all.

Last edited:
1667406442304.png
Seikatsu Mitsunari

Mitsunari was unprepared for the spell's activation and had not expected it to be so aggressive, but he was even less prepared for the spell itself. Images and sounds flashed in his mind like memories and they brought with them a flood of emotions. Some of the visions he welcomed and others he was curious about, but did not shun. As the spell ran its course he heard the voices calling to him and gasped as he awoke from the dreamlike state. He breathed heavily while sweat ran down his face and his hair clung to his skin. It took him a second to get oriented, but he heard the cardinal ask Ceylan of his opinion. This was the moment of truth and Mitsunari looked at the canine with a focused glare.

Much to his surprise, the priest vouched for him and before he knew it, another spell was being cast. Suddenly the bandages no longer clung to his skin, and the unbearable pain that he had become accustomed to was absent. He moved to stand up and moved as if he still suffered from his injuries. Then he peeled away the bandages, ripping them off his body to reveal a big toothy grin stretched across his now healed face. Nervousness and joy gave way to a soft chuckle rising up within the fox as his tails swayed happily behind him. They too now free of scorch marks and fully restored to their fluffy beauty. "Thank you." Mitsunari said softly to the cardinal as he bowed his head.

Then he approached Ceylan with a small smirk. "You have one a great service for me, High Priest, and I will one day repay you for this kindness. So should you ever have need of my magic or knowledge, I will come to your aid." He placed his right hand over his heart, swearing this promise to Ceylan. "Now it is your turn."

Tower Interior
620agb6m.jpg
AdMRabL.jpg

Ceylan

Mitsunari's words were taken with a fair dose of healthy scepticism. Even someone as priestly as Ceylan couldn't easily forget the feeling of having his legs eaten and he knew fully well these words came from the man who'd coldly ordered that to be done. Even so, Ceylan meant what he'd said, so he too, would hope that this act and his forgiveness would put Mitsunari on one of those few roads towards good. Perhaps the fox actually meant what he'd said? Ceylan certainly hoped so. That said, he was too nervous to try to reading him, as the fox's last sentence was clear as day.

Was Ceylan getting cold feet now? He'd seen what Mitsunari had been put through and he was honestly nervous beyond imagination. That said, he steeled his nerves and stepped forwards, sitting down as well. “I'm ready, Cardinal.”

Cardinal Zoilus
qyRUNbf.jpg
LiM0hrV.jpg

“Very well.” The Cardinal said, as he started up the process once more. Everything went the same as before, although this time around, Mitsunari was able to witness it as a bystander. He felt less of the effects, but saw far more of them. It was as if the entire tower was shaking on its foundation as the Cardinal cast his magic upon Ceylan, who was pressed back into the chair like Mitsunari had been. However, as the Cardinal was about to cast his magic, something started to glow among the [Bindings of Elisiul] it was a golden flower that suddenly erupted in an array of bright light. Dragging not just Ceylan and the Cardinal into the visions, but Mitsunari as well. [Using [Miracle] asset.]

Darkness. Nothingness. It wasn't clear where they were, only that they were. Then, a sound was heard. The cry of a baby. A Human baby. People were speaking. It was an odd language, but it sounded faintly like an older middle-eastern, Semitic language. Visions suddenly appeared. A baby was placed upon an altar. A crying mother was held back by odd robed-people. One of those held out a knife. Without a second thought, he plunged the knife into the child.

The visions faded. All was dark again. Sounds were heard again. Sounds of a grieving, heart-broken family. However, all of a sudden, the cry of a baby was heart. The grieving stopped. A voice was heard. “But... he was dead.” The voice sounded panicked. Fearful. “He was stillborn. This... this can't be!” Dread. Worry. Hostility. Those were the emotions carried by the voices that were heard. Then, the single gentle voice of a woman. “Don't worry. Don't worry dear. I'll make sure they won't harm you.” Silence. Then, moments later, the voice spoke again. “It's okay, my child. Even if I can't be there for you, I promise I'll pray for you, every single day of my life. I promise. I promise.” The sounds of a weeping mother overwhelmed even those listening with the bitter grief of having to give up on something so precious and irreplaceable.

The visions of the past faded once more. Instead, they suddenly found themselves on a hill. Surrounding them were flowers. Poppies. Thousands upon thousands of golden poppies, as far as the eye could see. They could hear a voice speak to Ceylan, although it sounded like the entirety of this realm was speaking to him.

"This is my gift to you. For as long as your heart holds fast, no matter what awaits you in life, you will always be welcomed here at the end of it."

That's when the vision ended and the Cardinal's magic kicked in. The visions of the future arrived. Ceylan could see himself chained up. Someone insulted him. Telling him to heal more or to be forced to go without food. He was in horrible shape, left only alive for his gift of healing. He felt pain so great he couldn't feel anything else. Another vision, he was in the Fae nation. He seemed to be free at first, but that proved to be a lie. His eyes were hollow and empty. His mind was no longer his own. He'd been made into the perfect tool for the Fae warmongers, ready to take on the Empire once and for all. Despair filled him, as he was aware of what he did, yet his mind and body were no longer his own. Another vision. He was in a town, talking to... Tia. He was smiling as he let her try some candy. She was smiling back at him. He felt truly happy. Another vision. He was standing in a city. Surrounding him was nothing, but death and despair. A deep fear filled him. This was his fault. He'd trusted them. He trusted them and they'd taken advantage of it. The vision didn't show him who he'd trusted or why, but it filled him with a deep sense of dread. Another vision. He was seated in a church, wearing the gown of a Cardinal. Before him an endless stream of people seeking his aid. He felt exhausted. He felt stuck. He felt caged by his own responsibility and powers. Another vision. He was laying in bed. Someone was laying besides him. Their shape unclear. He felt happy, yet like something was eating away at him. Like he'd abandoned something important to pursue his own happiness instead. Another vision. The Cardinals had all gathered. They were all looking at him. They were crowning the new Pope of the Syncretist Faith. He felt a sinful feeling. He was proud. Yet also scared. Scared of the many burdens he was taking upon himself. Scared of what failing would entail.

Finally, he awoke. He was drenched in cold sweat and his eyes had started to tear up. He was visibly shaken, both by the visions of the past and those of the future. So much so that he couldn't even speak for the moment.

The Cardinal spoke up. “A gift from Elisiul itself. Intentions as pure as they can be. A strong desire for good. Yet so much tragedy. Oh, so much tragedy.” Once again, the Cardinal's eyes had started to tear up. He turned towards Mitsunari. “Tell me, should I strike him down right here and now, so that he can meet the gods before he has to suffer? Should I give him the guarantee of what's good for him, or should I heal him of his curse and give him the freedom to suffer through his life first, hoping to find those very few roads that'd allow him to find his happiness in this life?”

1667413288782.pngSeikatsu MItsunari

Mitsunari stepped back and let Ceylan move forward to undergo the odd process of having his future read. While the priest was the target of the spell, Mitsunari was fixed upon his body. he'd spent so much time running around lie a victim that he had forgotten what he truly looked like. Now he was healed, now he was himself again. Then came the Cardinal's voice breaking his self-centered fantasy. "I believe Ceylan needs to live. Heal him and if he is to suffer, at least he will save others and bring some good to the world in doing so." The kitsune turned his eyes from the cardinal to the priest. Mitsunari cared little for Ceylan's ideology and worship of the gods, but the man was a source of light in a dark world and those were all too rare as Mitsunari had learned first hand. Ceylan seemed like the type to choose to suffer if it meant he could continue saving the world, so Mitsunari would support that ideal.

Elvario Elvario

Tower Interior
620agb6m.jpg
AdMRabL.jpg

Cardinal Zoilus
qyRUNbf.jpg
LiM0hrV.jpg

“Very well.” As before, the Cardinal motioned with his staff upon hearing Mitsunari's reply. The bindings around Ceylan's legs would slowly vanish, until nothing but untainted flesh remained. “I sincerely pray that the gods will lead you down the few paths that will not only make you a tool for other's happiness, but that you can one day find your own as well.”

Ceylan

A bit weary, Ceylan stood up. The emotions from what he'd seen of his past and future still weighed heavily on his mind, but even so, the feeling of being able to stand again on his own legs, without needing constant healing, without being in constant pain... it was amazing. His tail showed, as it started to sway back and forwards in a rhythmic pattern. “Thank you.” Ceylan said, both towards the Cardinal and Mitsunari, who'd backed him up to get here.

However, before they could make their next move, the Cardinal looked at them. “Ah. It seems the giants have awoken. I suggest you remain here for the night, otherwise my efforts end up being in vein and the reading of your futures gets annulled by a giant's stomach. Also, I suggest you don't return down the same path. Those ogres of yours ventured out to find something to eat and attracted one of giants while at it. They're currently becoming a meal themselves. There's another path down south, which should be safe now that the ogres travelled eastwards.”

The owl turned around. “Girls, show them a room, will you?”

As he called out, a few of the mice maids would come up. They'd prepare a decent bed, decent food and decent drink for them. Nothing to write home about, but clean and healthy. Enough to get them started well on their way going back during the next day. Thanks to the Cardinal's advise, they were able to descent down the mountain without any issues. Thanks to their conditions being healed, it could even be considered a pleasant hike through nature.

The End.

Ceylan
Remove [Miracle] asset.
Remove [Maimed] title.

Mitsunari
Remove [Maimed] title.
Add title: [Redeemable] – no matter how many atrocities and questionable deeds the character has committed, they've shown there is still good in them and there are still paths that can lead to salvation that are left open for them. Regardless of [criminal] or negative titles, those of good nature will be more willing to give them a chance if they show honest attempts at bettering themselves.

Isekai Hell RP Grade

Elvario Elvario Silent Angel Silent Angel LadyOfStars LadyOfStars

This is the idea of how to use maimed titles. Run into powerful npcs that make the world just a bit of a bigger place. Looks like you guys went the healing route. In using your maimed titles, it wasn't really in question you would be healed, but the monster likely wouldn't have been welcomed into the hermitage so it all worked out.

Aftermath
folks were healed and fates now spiraled outward with near infinite possibility, but many paths had concerning ends that may haunt the characters. It's a hard thing to make risky decisions while knowing any one of those risky decisions could play out like one of the bad endings witnessed.

The beastman samurai tasked with watches over the northeastern region of the Republic would eventually get word of the sighting of ogres in the hills. Mitsunari would be at extra risk if he remained in the area with his minions.

Rewards

Ceylan - 63 points (narration)

Ceylan has been healed of his stigmata and may remove the maimed title from the equipped titles. His speed stat will return to pre-maimed status.

Mitsunari - 42 points

Mitsunari has been healed of his burns and no longer experiences negatives to his actions and may remove the maimed title from the equipped titles.

• [Abuser F] - character has willfully caused harm to "innocents". Character is now a criminal until slain or redeemed.

• [Vandal E] - character committed willful destruction of property belonging to "innocents". Character is now a criminal until slain or redeemed.

Partial Participants

Malerie - ??? points (grade may be provided in the future if character is properly moved to new character thread)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back