• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Graded [Wellston Village] The Crafting Guild's Foundation

Ingenium
Interactions: Elvario Elvario
__mani_of_machine_elona_drawn_by_harusame_rueken__7f209dccfa1aa9d6976fce0377bcab98.jpg The construct listened to the abrasive man calmly. He looked to the nearby well which was the subject of their argument. Noting the design and pulley system. Behind his crimson orbs his mind was quick at work. Analyzing the rusted structure and coming up with solutions. His archives were independent from his memory, as small as it was. A vast store of information some comprehendible some not and more still sealed from his view. Containing all sorts of knowledge from the sciences. From metallurgy, to physics, and chemistry. So long as it aided in creation it was somewhere within his core. Within a fraction of a second he already had an assortment of potential solutions.

At the behest of the smith he ceased his examination for a moment and turned to the old man. "While your trust for the machine which has aided you so is admirable. No mechanism may be eternally shielded from malfunction and entropy. As it stands this water extraction device will not function in its current state." He delivered a frank response based on the condition of the well. Before the smith could continue his rant to the optimistic if somewhat naïve man, he then spoke to him. "However, your assessment that the device is unsalvageable was too quick a judgement." He went up to the well pointing to the rusted gears and chains. "While the oxidation upon these components is extensive the overall structure is undamaged and retains its core functionalities. The non mechanical portions may need to be replaced, but possibly naught else." It may be that his evaluation was wrong somewhere there may be a defect deeper within the system he was unaware of. He raised himself from his position turning to the two of them. Uttering words which he spoke profoundly. "Metal endures longer than the flesh of men. Those that tend to metal must labour long to learn its ways, and thus is understanding attained. With which one may find the path to Comprehension." He then speaks a familiar phrase he had said once before with the tenor of a sage. "And Comprehension is the key to all things." A weight which had settled over his being left him as he once again took on a more casual and impassive countenance. "Do you have any vinegar?" For now he would try the simplest answer first.

Smith
DV5oRA0.jpg
CBfcd4k.jpg
Mentions: Ingenium EMIYAman EMIYAman
The smith outright laughed at Ingenium's suggestion. “Oh boy, you're a funny one kid. If you think you can get this stuff working by turning this into a cooking show, by my guest.”

Old Man
s3hCUx3.jpg
gLf9Yp9.jpg

The old man was a bit more constructive. Vinegar, you say? Hmmm... I think I might still have some soured wine. That's close enough, right? He said, as he went to fetch a bottle of wine of which the cork hadn't been inserted properly, causing it to be as close to vinegar as it could be without being actual vinegar. “Here you go lad.” He said, as he handed the bottle over.

It was only then that he noticed his odd hands. “Oh dear, you're not a normal regular old lad, now are you?”

The Sith scoffed. “Your eyes get worse by the day old man. I'm pretty sure he's one of them fancy constructs from the capital. I bet that's where he's got his fancy speeches from as well.”

If Ingenium would set to work, he'd notice that only a few of the smaller sized gears were rusted beyond fixing, as the remaining 'good' metal would be too thin to hold out for long. Luckily, they were small enough to be an easy build for a knowledgeable tinkerer and not large enough to require a smith. Most of it, however, would function properly with some cleaning off and oiling up.

Ingenium
__mani_of_machine_elona_drawn_by_harusame_rueken__7f209dccfa1aa9d6976fce0377bcab98.jpg He stared at the smith completely straight faced. "Fermented liquids possess a variety of applications outside of gastronomy." As he said this he noticed a flaw in the more intricate and compact gears. Coming quickly to the required measures he would have to take to revitalize the well. At this the old man returned from where he went to fetch the vinegar. Though he had returned with a soured wine rather than something more akin to white vinegar.

He took the bottle from the man. Who came to a realization upon seeing the constructs metallic hands. Nonplussed by the old mans reaction, nor the smiths rude manner of speech he merely answered. "Indeed, I am what you would refer to as a machine." He brought the bottle up to his nose and uncorked it. The smell reached his nostrils affirming him as to its practical use for the situation. "Acetic Acid is present within, and at a higher concentration than the average wine. In all probability due to the fermentation process which occurred after long time storage. It is fortunate that you kept it, with it this device may yet be made whole in the fulfillment of its purpose once more." With that he brought himself before the intricate system of gears, cogs and pulleys. He pulled the tools he had brought with him from the recesses of his coat and began to disassemble what he could meticulously. That which was far too rusted to remove without much more force than he could muster, or risk of damage. Was where he poured the wine upon it. Most of the rust remained but the surface rust was quickly eroded and broke down enough for him to scrub off with a wire brush. Allowing him to remove those pieces as well. He set about two piles that which could be salvaged and that which would need replacing. Fortunately only a small portion of the thinner smaller components would have to be removed and have a matching piece put in its place. He however had those parts on hand as he had fabricated a variety of gears and materials during his free time over the days he spent within the Artisans shop. He placed the rusted pieces into a container upon which he poured the rest of the wine submerging the metal in the liquid.

He raised himself from his prone position he had taken during his work. Then turned to his audience. "Please allow it to soak for thirty minutes to a couple hours. The oxidation upon some of the components is extensive, consequently more time may be needed. Upon that time I will conduct the final maintenance procedures, then reassembly. It should be more efficient in its functionality than it has in the last few decades, based on my projections." In a rare display of emotion his eyebrows knit together slightly at the two. "Proper maintenance would have not allowed the mechanism to reach this point of inefficacy. Reverence for that which allows you to live would serve you well. If you require the knowledge to maintain it, then I shall impart it to you. So long as you grant that knowledge to others who may have need of it, and may thus better themselves though it." He spoke as if lightly scolding a couple children. Exasperated at their foolish behavior, but willing to teach them the proper course.

Sophia Smith

80590e5d-b5e6-4cc9-88a6-066287038278.jpg

Sophia grinned at her companion. "Well, I'm gl.ad that your new personas were good enough to pass the scrutiny of the town, though I don't think they look close enough to actually see what you are even normally~" She paused for a moment before asking, "By the way, two things. One, does your personas fool those orbs the city guard uses? And the other thing I was wondering is do you have any business experience? I had some issues because I'm not exactly business minded, so I don't do well with things like paperwork..."

She next nodded at the response about the blood. "I can completely understand that. Don't know when something will happen to me, and you won't be sure when the next crazy lady will fall in love with you~ But Kalina, I want you to know, whenever I'm home you can just bite and suck. I won't begrudge you of a meal, you know." She paused for a few moments before saying, "By the way, I actually have a plan for that type of thing. If I make a fridge with my artificing, I have a plan to make sure you have plenty of the stuff even when I'm on trips like that. Think that would be nice?"

Kalina Chivernu
Mentions: Sophia Silent Angel Silent Angel

She frowned at the mention of the city's orbs. “Truth be told, I haven't got a clue and I'm not all that eager to try and find out. Being caught at the gates would be pretty dangerous...” She then had an idea. “If you were to ever get your hands on one, I could always try it out without guards around. Although, if you really need me in the city, I guess I could try to sneak in through the Underbelly again. It's a nasty place, but that's how I got in last time and I think it might work again.”

As for Sophia's other question, Kalina shook her head. “I'm sorry, but I don't have any experience there whatsoever.” She pondered on it for a moment. “The best I can do is look at it critically or, if you really don't trust it, try to sneak in someone's office to go through their paperwork.” The latter came out as easy as a breeze, as she didn't think all that much about breaking en entering.

Kalina was caught a bit off guard by the blood thing, even though she should know better by now. Luckily, she quickly found another topic to direct her attention towards. “What's a fridge? Is it like a refrigeratory?” She vaguely recalled brewers putting blocks of ice in cellars to keep their alcohol cool, as her own family had been tasked with getting that ice at a few points. “I'm not sure if winters here are cold enough to gather enough ice, or if we'd be able to get a deep and isolated enough basement.”

Smith
DV5oRA0.jpg
CBfcd4k.jpg

Meanwhile, on the town square, for as far as the small crossing could be considered one, Ingenium was teaching the townsfolk. The Smith was clearly very sceptical of all he was doing, eyeing his work with a mixture of confusion and intrigue. However, when he started to lecture them, it pulled out a scoff. “Look, city boy, I don't know who made you with such an attitude, but tone it down. You don't know the first thing about this village and...”

Old Man
s3hCUx3.jpg
gLf9Yp9.jpg

“... and he's already helped us fixed something.” The older man interrupted. “Don't be mean to him just because he figured something out to fix something you couldn't.”

After a click of the tongue, the smith decided to remain silent.

The old man, meanwhile, was clearly in a good mood. However, a slightly devious glint appeared in his eyes. “Oh, boy, that warms my old heart. That a stranger such as yourself would be willing to teach an old man like me!” He gave him a warm smile. “In fact, I've got multiple things I'd love to be taught about! You see, my great-grandfather was a clockmaker and the clock that's a family heirloom stopped working. Surely a smart fellow like you can fix that! Come, come! I'll show you the way.”

If Ingenium would follow, the old man would show him the way to the largest house in the village (which was still relatively small by noble standards). Some of the rooms in there seemed to serve a public function, such as a small room with a large bookshelf near the entrance. Otherwise, the house was adorned with various weapons, furniture and paintings. All of them were clearly heirlooms of some worth, but nothing that'd stand out as truly expensive. The clock was probably an exception. It was a cuckoo-clock of which the mechanism had started to fail, mostly due to the tension in the springs and wires having loosed to much over time. It'd be possible to fix, but it'd it take a fair bit of time to tinker with the small mechanisms and parts.

Sophia Smith

The craftswoman tapped a claw on her chin. "Might be able to hire someone, but I would rather get someone I trust to deal with paperwork. Easier to know they're not making shady deals behind my back. But," She paused, pointing a claw at the vampire. "I'm not going to be doing any breaking and entering. That type of thing isn't exactly a good look for a prospective guild leader to have. Especially if I want to be a respectable one."

The next set of questions silenced her for a few moments, with the spider girl not being able to help but stare at Kalina. She knew the other girl was from another world, but with that question she couldn't help but wonder about her. But she decided to probe her love a little bit. "Hey, sweetie, when was it over where you came from when you came over here? Like, what year, roughly?"

Kalina Chivernu

It was a bit tough for someone to be a respectable guild leader if they were harbouring monsters, but Kalina wasn't going to point that out. She'd long ago given up on figuring out the inner workings of Sophia. The reverse didn't seem true, as Sophia suddenly brought up some very uncomfortable questions. “I'd rather not talk about it.”

She figured it'd be best to change topics. “Ah, by the way, I found out these ruins officially belong to the mayor now. He's an old man, a bit of a weird one, but he doesn't seem too bad. Besides, his position is little more than honorary at the moment, with how few people even live here. If you want, I'm sure we can set up a meeting to discuss buying this place.”

Sophia Smith

She looked at her for a few moments before deciding that, even if she didn't want to speak of where she came from, Sophia could still explain about herself. "Well, I came from a middle class family and generally had most commodities I needed when I was younger. Got into blacksmithing, and was able to sell my stuff on the internet and make a living off it. As for fridges, those things are something most families had when I was born. It helps keep food cold and makes them last longer. Same was for blood, but the stuff that doctors used for blood to make sure that it stayed good for transplants was a bit more intricate and precise than the ones in normal homes. That's what I'm planning on making for you so you don't have to deal with as many issues with running out of supplies."

She thought for a moment about the possible meeting before nodding. "I think that would be good to do! If it's the mayor, he also probably will lowball the price. It's not like he can do too much with it. Might even give it to us for a lower price so we can actually bring more folks into here."

Kalina Chivernu

The vampire wasn't quite sure why Sophia was suddenly talking about herself. Was it an attempt to get her to do the same? It wouldn't succeed. Whilst Kalina did take in the information, she was pretty sceptical of it. One thing stood out in particular, as it could potentially ruin a lot of things. “You'd need a really great excuse to have such a thing, otherwise you'll be arrested the moment people learn of its existence. Having a cold closet filled with blood is sure to make everyone think you're... well, doing some demonic rituals or, you know... doing what you're doing.” Feeding Kalina in itself was already 'bad' enough in society. Whilst Kalina was glad that Sophia didn't seem to mind that all, she was also confused as to how little Sophia herself seemed to take that into account. If they'd kill Sophia for sheltering monsters, Kalina wasn't sure if she'd be able to forgive herself from letting it come to that. There was another thing to point out. “Also, for what it's worth, I can drink it even if it's pretty old. It looses flavour and gets unmixed and all that, but it's neither toxic nor as foul tasting as animal blood.”

As for meeting the mayor, Kalina nodded. “Alright. Then I guess it's up to Elizabeth Mason to introduce you to the mayor. We can say Edith Ryker, the name I've chosen for the merchant identity, is capable of financially backing the Guild if the mayor wants some form of insurances. If he wants to meet her, we'll need to come up with an excuse as to why they won't be present in the same place. We could probably say that Edith is rarely around due to being a bad drunk and sleeping off a hangover or due to getting wasted. The latter might take away some credibility of her legitimacy as a merchant, but it'd be a small cost to pay for having a good excuse as to why she wouldn't be around a lot.” Satisfied with her plans so far, she looked at Sophia. “If all that sounds good to you, I can change into Elizabeth and we can head for the mayor's house right now.”

Ingenium
__mani_of_machine_elona_drawn_by_harusame_rueken__7f209dccfa1aa9d6976fce0377bcab98.jpg After he informed the men on the proper handling of the well the old man approached him. The construct felt some satisfaction knowing that the man was receptive to learning what he had to say. Ignorance itself was no sin, but he found he could not tolerate voluntary ignorance very much. It was simply illogical. And it seemed humans had no short supply of this fallacy. The smith responding aggressively to his lecture was a tell tale sign of this. He was not yet sure of his being or purpose, but he felt this was why he was here. Mortals seemed unable to progress when their emotion got in the way. So a being like himself who possessed no such weakness would be the perfect aide. He knew the knowledge within his core was one that belonged to humanity though there were inconsistences with the humans he saw and the technological capabilities he knew they were capable of. Yet that changed nothing in the long run. He had supreme respect for knowledge and all those who seek it out. Especially as they use it in the formation of a more realized world.

He came out of introspective thoughts at the request of the old man. He grew interested in another project though once again a maintenance based one. A clock, an heirloom at that most likely fairly old by mortal standards. His mind raced with various designs, quickly moving past ones which were too antiquated such as sundials and water clocks. He suspected it would be clockwork with a variety of gears and cogs all working in tandem. Though its level of sophistication was undetermined. "I am...pleased. You understand the value of developing ones intellect. I shall see to this machine in your progenitors stead." With that the construct made to follow the old man.

Last edited:
Sophia Smith

Sophia shrugged. "Just make it like a chest and cover it with food. That way they'll just think that it's preserving that type of stuff. Which I guess it technically is~" She gave the vampire a wink. "And I want to provide a bit more for someone as amazing as you~"

A claw came up as the plan was explained, the lady humming softly to herself. "Well, I could probably say that you're needed at the forge. I could probably say I tasked you with crafting nails to increase your skill as a blacksmith, and with a stone area you probably don't have to worry about burning down the building~" She stuck out her tongue before saying, "Also, I could send for you and tell you to do an errand after so it's a bit less suspicious! We don't have to put one of your wonderfully cute sides down just for this buy, if we play our cards right~"

She perked up slightly, remembering something. "Oh! And also, Once we're a bit settled, what would you like to see in this place~? What's your vision for how this place will look when everything's fixed up~? I hope that I can have a place where you feel comfortable after what you've been through, so I also want to think up things I can make to make you happy~ So? Tapestries? Or maybe velvet carpets?"

Kalina Chivernu

“That sounds like it might work, but it'd put you at a big risk if you're ever searched or investigated. I'd rather have you try provide less and ensure your own safety first.” Whether it was from genuine care or from plotting out the most sustainable way to keep getting a source of high quality blood was something Kalina herself wasn't sure of, but she did at least genuinely worry about Sophia's recklessness.

Kalina shook her head with a slight sigh. “Your apprentice fletcher suddenly working at the smithy would not be too much of a convincing excuse. On the topic of Elizabeth, give me a moment...” Kalina said, as she went off and around to corner to work her magic (and disguise and concealment) to get back to one of her other persona's in full.

Elizabeth Mason

“Well then, mistress Smith, shall I, Elizabeth Mason, your humble yet clumsy apprentice fletcher, accompany you to the mayor?” Assuming a 'yes' to that, Kalina would venture forth towards the mayor's house.

Old Man
s3hCUx3.jpg
gLf9Yp9.jpg
Mentions: Ingenium EMIYAman EMIYAman | Sophia Silent Angel Silent Angel

“Well then, kid, is it still repairable?” The old man asked, having shown Ingenium the clock. The answer to that, was that it was, if Ingenium would find a way to get back the tension on the springs or if he'd find materials to replace them and perhaps if he'd have to lube up some of the more rusty parts. As luck would have it, the mayor himself would be able to provide most of those materials after digging around in his store-room and letting Ingenium pick what was actually needed from large boxes of stuff that ranged from useless to useful, although leaning a lot more towards the former. Perhaps the old man was a bit of a kleptomaniac.

As he was working on it, two ladies entered the room. Sophia, along with Kalina (as Elizabeth) headed in, upon which Kalina spoke up. “Ah, mister mayor, I'm sorry, I didn't know you were having guests... I wished to introduce you to my teacher, miss Sophia Smith. We were, eh, hoping to discuss some things, but I'd better leave it to her for now.” She said, stepping aside so Sophia could face the mayor and start off the request/negotiations in whichever way she deemed to be fitting.

Ingenium
Interactions: Elvario Elvario Silent Angel Silent Angel
__mani_of_machine_elona_drawn_by_harusame_rueken__7f209dccfa1aa9d6976fce0377bcab98.jpg He worked out the old mans question as he stood before the clock. It was an antique piece to be sure, an old design that was to be replaced by more advanced and accurate devices in the future. He was interested in the potential that lay within the future, and not the obsolete relics of the past. He however held whoever created this device and the clock itself in high regard. The skill required to create a clock like this was rare, and the machine itself had performed its purpose over all these years. That was worthy of note. "Its damage is not so extensive as to be unrepairable. I can restore it to its proper function. However I do not have the properly sized components to replace the damages parts. Do you possess them?"

After having rifled through the old mans storeroom then emerging with a container of various items he now crouched before the clock tending to the worn equipment, before removing the defective pieces. He had grabbed a variety of nuts, bolts, a rare couple springs and anything else he could get his hands on though some most likely wouldn't be useful to the current task. As he attached the new springs stretching them out slightly to fit where they were meant to be the sound of the door to the old mans house reached him. He didn't react or turn and just kept to his current assignment. It was a simple fix all things considered requiring even less time than the well. Though that was because this machine wasn't exceedingly rusted. Finishing up he wound the clock back up and observed its various moving parts. Now satisfied with the revival of the machine he went to inform the old man.

"The mechanism has been restored. While annual maintenance is preferable it is not necessary for at least two decades. However, infrequent oiling should allow it to last a couple hundred years until exten-" He paused upon entering the room which the old man had rested in while he worked. The cameras that made up his eyes focused in and out in the closest approximation to surprise he could express. He blinked at the newcomers, who had come through the front door while he worked. He did not recognize one of the blond women but he did recognize the lighter of the two. "Master Artisan, greetings." He looked to the woman she was with then back to her recalling their last talk some hours ago. "Is this woman the 'love' you mentioned with who you wanted to spend 'private time' with? If that is indeed the case then I pray that it was a productive time which satisfied your emotional needs." While impassive as ever on the inside was different. The Construct was expressing approval for his actions and words. Feeling he had conducted a respectful and reasonable interaction which would satisfy the "etiquette" mortals expected from their peers. Though now he thought back to the smith and wondered how his behavior factored into mortal social customs.

Last edited:
Sophia Smith

The blacksmith smiled at the old man, her eyes moving from him to the construct before refocusing on him. "Good afternoon, sir! I just wanted to discuss the ownership of that old castle, and if I could purchase it for the creation of a guild. However, if you're doing something, I wouldn't like to interrupt." Her eyes once again glanced to the construct for a few moments before her eyebrows slowly raised at his statement towards her and the other lady.

She didn't even look embarrassed, but more amused than anything. However, she hoped that the lady behind her wasn't going to blush her brains out. "She is, and it was~ Though I would suggest not bringing that type of thing up in conversation. Like interrupting a sale, it's another courtesy that you might need to learn. While I might not be embarrassed by that, saying it to another person might be absolutely humiliating." She looked at him for a few more moments before turning back to the older man, a claw coming up as she rested her cheek lightly on its side. "I did get a good look at the insides and out, and I think I'd mainly be buying the land its on at a bit of a marked up price due to the fact that I'll mostly have to build the place from the ground up. When you're done, I'll discuss some more of the details, but I think the trade you'll get from it being here will be worth it."

Mayor Oswald
s3hCUx3.jpg
gLf9Yp9.jpg
Mentions: Sophia Silent Angel Silent Angel | Ingenium EMIYAman EMIYAman

The old man, whom turned out to be the mayor, was clearly enjoying watching Ingenium fix things. “It's been quite a while since I've seen that cuckoo leave its nest.” He said, as the construct was tinkering away at the cuckoo-clock. Whether the man was so focused on the work was out of genuine interest or simply due to enjoying the free labour he was getting was unclear, but he was happy nonetheless. “Ho-oh, two decades? Then I guess these old bones will just have to write a note to whomever inherits it.” The mayor laughed, clearly not expecting to live to see the next day the clock would need such fixing. It didn't really sound like he was up for annual maintenance, for that matter.

Upon the sight of Elizabeth entering, the mayor nodded. “Welcome back girl, and welcome to you, miss. You can call me mayor Oswald.” The man's face soured a little when Sophia talked about the castle. “Why don't we move to my study.” He said, showing them the way through a small 'library' (a room with a single relatively large bookshelf) and into a smaller room to the back, with a single desk and some chairs. After taking place behind it, the man got a bit more serious, but not before looking at Elizabeth. “You still recall where I keep the tea, right? Why don't you get us something.”

Elizabeth Mason

“Alright~” Kalina said cheerfully. She'd worked pretty hard to have this identity befriend the mayor, which she hoped would pay off. That said, it was a bit tough to focus, as the really odd conversation between the unintroduced metal guy and Sophia had made her feel very awkward. Not only was she unsure how their relation would affect those around them, she was also worried that it'd implicate her fake identity. Whilst falling in love with an apprentice wasn't stranger than falling in love with a monster, it wasn't exactly a great story to keep up. She really would've preferred this identity to have a different relationship. It was already too late though, as whilst the mayor hadn't commented on it, she was sure he'd heard it and was keeping it in the back of his mind. From everything she'd gathered, the old man was sharper in mind than he often led others to believe.

As Kalina went off to make tea, Sophia would realise just how sharp the man was. “Now, ma'am, offering little more than a marked up price for a plot of land is problematic. You should know that the castle is a very important landmark for our village. We may not have much, but to just squander away some of the most prominent features of our village and culture is not something to be taken lightly. Besides, it's of important cultural value. The only reason I'm not outright sending you away, is that you've captured my attention with this... crafting guild, you speak off. There's very little to gain or do in this area, so what makes you wish to start such a thing in our humble village?”

Meanwhile, Kalina was able to confront the construct whilst the water was heating up. She still wasn't quite sure what or who he was. Luckily enough, she figured her current identity wouldn't shy away from straight-up asking about it. “So... no offence, but who and what are you? Oh, and how do you know miss Smith?”

Sophia Smith

Sophia noticed the face souring, but didn't take issue, knowing there was probably a reason behind it. The spider girl noticed that he made the request most likely not just to get the tea, but also to speak to her privately about the proposition. She gave Elizabeth a small smile and a "Thank you" when she left to make tea before she turned to the mayor once more, sitting down in one of the chairs before looking the man in the eyes, listening to his explanation. She wasn't offended by his annoyance, but instead did her best to understand it from his position. Her eyes wandered for a moment as she thought about it before moving back to him, giving him a small nod and saying, "I'm sorry for the offense I've caused, because I didn't mean to, I swear. The reason why I would like to do it in this area is because of its placement. It's close to Ryken, but it isn't in the city, and it's an area that could use the extra traffic from the creation of the guild. To be honest, the city seemed way too stuffy for me personally, but because of how close it is proximity wise, it allows people to easily come to and from Ryken in order to actually trade with or join the guild easily."

Ingenium
Interactions: Elvario Elvario Silent Angel Silent Angel
__mani_of_machine_elona_drawn_by_harusame_rueken__7f209dccfa1aa9d6976fce0377bcab98.jpg The construct furrowed his brows slightly. Apparently his polite greeting wasn't received as well as he had calculated. It seemed he had acknowledged his efforts too early. He still had much to learn in regards to mortal social practices. He wasn't saddened or frustrated but resolute. It was a task he was given so he would complete it, that was all there was too it. While cut somewhat short in his full evaluation of the clocks condition the information he had communicated to the old man, who he now knew was the mayor, was sufficient. Now that him and the Master Artisan were to engage in some kind of business he was no longer needed.

For now he would look for others who were in need of his abilities. But, before he left he was approached by the woman who had come in with the Master. The construct turned to face her his countenance was as deadpan as ever. His metallic hands gripped his collapsible cane as he stood a ways from the entrance. "Who... I am?" For a moment he well and truly blanked. A single question reducing him to a state of non-functionality. His processors raced at a speed they had not done before and his body grew a touch warmer from all the inner computation. The core which made up his being stirred in response. A revelation had come from the most mundane of things. "Ah, my apologies. No one has ever put forth that query before." Returning to himself he pondered for a moment but the answer was already granted to him. "You may refer to me by the designation, 'Ingenium'. I am a machine, one who's functionalities lie in the creation of machines and diverse implements." It was a simple introduction all things considered, but it felt like a portion of himself Ingenium did not know was missing was suddenly returned. It was a welcome feeling. "Smith. So that is her name. When I first came upon this village I was adrift. A stirring within my core brought me to Ms. Smith, and she offered me a place in her workshop temporarily. Her offer was a fortunate one that gave me the opportunity I needed to center myself. Is this answer satisfactory?"

Mayor Oswald
s3hCUx3.jpg
gLf9Yp9.jpg

The man's eyebrows furrowed into a frown. “It's still half a day to get there and half a day to return. Only those that need speciality items would take an entire day to get them, so you'd really need to offer something of great value with that guild you're planning to start if you want this to work out. However, if you were to start in the city itself, you'd be able to sell to folk from the get-go, even with non-specialized products.” He shook his head. “I may be an old man, but I'm not senile. Just the city being stuffy can't warrant wanting to start all the way out here and hoping for the best. Seeing as how I'm responsible for the safety of this little village, I'll just be blunt. What else is there? Are you planning to deal in illegal wares? Are you plotting to sell to criminals and monsters? Unless you give me a better reason for this choice of place, I'll have to assume the worst.” It seemed like the first barrier to break through was some warranted scepticism on the mayor's side, before a price could even be discussed.

Elizabeth Mason

Meanwhile, Kalina was wondering what in the world Sophia had dragged in. How could someone like that never been asked that question before? Yet at the same time, he didn't seem to be lying. It was pretty darn odd. When he mentioned 'machine', a shiver went down her spine. The word brought up some horrible memories. She couldn't help display a hint of fear and disgust at it, but quickly managed to hide it again. She quickly found a topic to latch onto to distract herself. “You call her master artisan and ask about her private life in the open, yet you didn't even know her name...?” There was some genuine surprise and confusion there. That said, she sighed it off and answered his question regarding his introduction. “Well, it was enough, I guess. Anyhow, I'm Elizabeth Mason, her apprentice fletcher.”

Short after she finished boiling the water and putting in some tea leaves, she glossed over to the mayor's study. “Do you think we should go there and see if we need to help out miss Smith? I don't know the mayor too well, but he can be a tricky person to deal with. He's an old fox, that one.” She whispered to Ingenium. She didn't know the odd machine too well, but she wondered what his position would be. On the one hand, Sophia would look stronger and more in control if she wrapped this up herself. On the other hand, Kalina didn't have all that much fate in her ability to pierce through the mayor's remarks, as the Fae woman tended to be pretty naïve.

Sophia Smith

She thought through what she would say, trying her best to not screw anything up more than she had. "I do work already in the city, but the issue is a single person can make a living only if they join one of the few guilds there. I actually had to join the adventurer's guild because, I don't know how they started out, but the merchant's guild is money grabbing and tyrannical in their practices. I do not believe I could ever start a guild there without being shut down by the merchant's guild before it ever got off the ground. And as for specialty items, I already sell dresses unlike any others have seen, and I'm able to create prosthetic limbs that work just as good, if not better than the original limbs. I am known for my ability to create things that most others couldn't due to my large skill set."

She had let her eyes wander around the room as she talked, her mind a bit lost in thought, before she finally set them back on the man. "Though, if there's one thing I do take some offense to, it's the insinuation that I am going to be selling to people who use my weapons for evil. I vet who enters my shop. I will never sell to people who I believe will do wrong with my gear, because if I were to, then that blood would be on my hands just as much as others, and if I find out someone used my equipment to commit crimes, I will personally go and take the equipment back from them. I understand that what I make are used for combat, but selling to people who harm others would be something I could never do."

She leaned back, taking a deep breath, letting her head cool. She needed to calm down. Don't get heated with the person you're trying to buy from. "But, in the end, the reason why I'm going out of the city is to help other crafters. I don't like how the merchant's guild takes advantage of new people who join it, and I think that those people are the next generation. They should be assisted, not used as stepping stones so only those who are conniving can make it to the top. But I know doing it in Ryken would put a target on my back, and people like those in the merchant's guild would easily have the power to try and shut me down. So I'd rather not give them the chance to."

Mayor
s3hCUx3.jpg
gLf9Yp9.jpg

The mayor raised an eyebrow as Sophia ranted about the merchant's guild. “I've heard some bad things about it, as one would about any type of guild, but nothing as bad and accusatory as this.” It was clear he wasn't really buying it, but that he didn't outright wish to try refuting these claims either. “As for the second part, if the boy over there is your apprentice, I would believe you on the second part. He's quite a fine tinkerer, so I'd have high expectations from one he'd call a master artisan.” He actually let out a chuckle when Sophia mentioned chasing down those that'd do wrong with her equipment. “That would make for a fine tale. Very well, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on that terrain.”

That short amount of joy, however, vanished when he got serious again. “So, from what I'm understanding, you have some bad blood with the merchant's guild and a high degree of confidence in your abilities. That leads me to wonder, what's to guarantee that the presence of your guild here won't draw in the ire of those merchants? We've got preciously little to go around in this village, so if the merchants were to act as you say they would, it'd be easy for them to put an embargo on our little village and leave us without proper resources.” A certain glint in the old man's eyes might reveal what he was hinting at, were Sophia to be capable of picking up on the subtle suggestion.

Sophia Smith

She thought over it for a few seconds, thinking what he might mean. Considering the merchant's guild moving out of the area, what could he want from her to assist? Then she refocused on him, giving a small nod. "For the people living here, I wouldn't mind requesting members of my guild selling at a much lower price. Though, I would prefer if those details get ironed out, because if more people move here due to the guild, I would prefer if it was just the original people, or maybe the first few who come along. Better that way than to end up selling to enough people at a heavy discount that I start having a profit margin completely in the red." A claw reached up, scratching her head thoughtfully before she gave him another look. "Maybe we can work out something for that. Until a certain amount of people live here, they can make requests directly to me, but after that, the main group can make those requests directly and others have to fill out forms to show special cases? I don't know, what do you think?"

Mayor
s3hCUx3.jpg
gLf9Yp9.jpg

A slight smile became visible when Sophia picked up on his suggestion. It was a bit blunt of her to just repeat it like that, but that was another matter. After a bit more thinking, the mayor had made up his mind. His village was barely even on the map right now, so this guild might be a great opportunity from stopping the last of its inhabitants to leave to the city proper. However, he wasn't going to just wing it.

“I'm sure that we can come to an agreement, but I will need to lay out some things that you should take into account.” He said, as he took up a quill and ink to make some notes. “Firstly, you will need to register your guild and pay proper taxes to the barony. Our village is too small to have its own jurisdiction in that regard, but I am allowed to handle the registry process myself. We'd merely need the baron's seal of approval afterwards. Once you're properly registered, I can sell the property to the guild, rather than to you as a person. That would allow you to pay off your debts in monthly payments, as I should warn you that the land doesn't come cheap. If you wish to both buy the land and built upon it, I'd highly suggest investing in materials rather than spending a fortune on the land from the get-go. After all, even if it is just some ruins, this location used to be of great importance and might become very strategic once more, whilst it also has cultural and historical value.”

After a bit of thinking, he nodded to himself. “That said, on the promise that you will supply the town's inhabitants with the tools they need, I am willing to grant a more mutually beneficial price. Secondly, please note that I am merely looking after those that live here at the moment, as I would consider anyone that moves here due to the Guild's existence as something you yourself earned and would not ask you to discount them on my behalf. However, were that to fail and were your presence to irk the merchant guild, I merely wish to have some guarantee that it won't bring further ruination to this village. A contractual obligation to provide necessary goods at minimal marketable value would function as such a guarantee.”

He then went on to the next topic. “Then, as for the building itself and the materials needed for fixing it... We do not have a lot of craftsmen here, but we do have a few. I'd like for you to offer them a first option at any contract with regards to building or supplying the guild. Anything that they cannot supply, or that they cannot supply at appropriate standard market-fare costs, you're free to look for elsewhere.”

He finished writing up some lines. “That would be the outline of our contract. Of course there will be more, once you've registered your guild, but if all this sounds acceptable to you, I'm sure we can also find good terms for the details of the contract.”

Sophia Smith

The spider lady listened to what he had to say, nodding as he explained what he wanted. When it came to the price point, she gave him a small smile. "Well, I've created dresses for nobility and gear for great warriors. I have a bit of money saved up from those types of sales, at least. I think that buying it under the guild would be a good option, however, as it will put a bit less pressure on me to get it and the mats all at once."

She tilted her head, giving small nods as he continued to explain his wants for the town. "I would be happy to sell to them. I don't really believe in highway robbery prices, especially for people who help me. Whatever I make, I can promise you it will be at the lowest price I can reasonably set. And I'm fine giving commissions to the workers of this village. After all, it would be pretty rude of me to bring in people from out of town when people would also be able to use my employment."

She glanced over the contract, making sure what was in it was what he suggested. "I'm thankful that you're willing to do this for me. To be honest, I am sorry I didn't consider the importance of that castle, but I hope that, through my actions, I'll be able to earn your trust. Or at least your respect. Whatever I do, as long as I'm alive, I'll help your townspeople however I can. You have my word on that." She gave him a small bow before standing up straight. "If you want a list of what I can do personally, I'd be glad to give you a list of my skills. I hope you're able to put them to good use while I'm here."

Ingenium
__mani_of_machine_elona_drawn_by_harusame_rueken__7f209dccfa1aa9d6976fce0377bcab98.jpg The construct who had taken the name Ingenium cast his eyes to the woman before him. Even he couldn't find fault within her words. From her perspective his actions were rather atypical of how the average individual would conduct themselves before another. Compared to when he had first met Ms. Smith he could now better understand how he may have come off, his struggle with social skills would continue but progress was irrefutable. "Elizabeth Mason... Then I shall refer to you as Ms. Mason." Within Ingenium his mind considered her words. A Fletcher was a rather primitive craftsman. Yet it matched what he could infer about this area's level of technological innovation. Though what lay in the wider world may yet prove this village to be an exception rather than the rule. What he has observed cannot be the full extent of humanity. It conflicted with his own understanding far too much. Though the possibility of him being the anomaly was not lost on him.

As Elizabeth went about the kitchen preparing tea Ingenium stood to the side and watched feeling fatigue set in he was leaning onto his cane more than he was before. Within his coat he fingered his shotgun finding a sense of contentment and purpose in its presence. He was roused from his inactivity by her speaking quietly to him, the smell of a freshly brewed tea now reaching him. He stared blankly mulling over her question. "My support is unlikely to be of any consequence. As I have yet to reach the social adeptness preferred for such an interaction." The idea that the Artisan woman couldn't complete her task had never occurred to Ingenium. Yet alone how the man she now spoke with may stand in opposition to it. He realized now the situation may not be so simple as to having the means to do so. Additionally the idea of speaking unnecessarily was unappealing to him. "That man, the 'mayor' as you identify him is possessed of intellect and understanding. I do not believe I have experienced anything 'tricky' from him. He simply requested that I freely give my capabilities to repair and perform maintenance on a few items. It was quite generous of him. Though I am unaware as to his relation to foxes." Bizarrely or perhaps typically for Ingenium he saw the mayor asking him to work seemingly without pay, as a good thing for him. Unknowing that there was a good chance he was being taken advantage of. Though even if he knew he likely wouldn't make a fuss and simply do it anyway.

Elizabeth Mason

Kalina stared at the guy with a perplexed look. She really wondered how in the world this person could even function. The way he talked and acted were very out-of-world, even for her own standards, which were out-of-world in the most literal sense. Not only did she feel like this person had probably also entered from another world, she felt like it had on of the most out-of-place and insane worlds compared to the time and age she'd been from. That said, she couldn't help herself from reacting to his odd statement regarding his social capabilities. “Well, understanding your limitations is a good way to start growing~”

However, his words regarding the mayor were... showing just how much he would need to learn. “He made you do work for him, without offering you any compensation. I'd say that's about as tricky as it gets.” That said, she wasn't a kind enough teacher to tell him the true meaning of him being an old fox. Instead, it was much more fun to play into it. “No, I'm just fairly sure he's got fox beastmen blood on his grandmother's side.” As Kalian had gotten distracted talking to this odd construct, the mayor and Sophia were wrapping up in the room besides them.

Mayor
s3hCUx3.jpg
gLf9Yp9.jpg

The man gave a bit of a smile at the mention of Sophia's savings. He sincerely doubted she could pay it all in one go, even if she'd desire it. At the very least, she did sound like she'd gathered a good enough starting capital to be taken seriously. There was one particular part where they man's eyes lid up. “Oh, such a list would be perfect! We've got a fair few leaking roofs in the village, lots of tools that need sharpening, we're behind on making warm clothes for winter and I'm sure that some of the enchantments on our magic lanterns need to be refreshed.” It sounded like there'd be a long enough list of jobs ready for Sophia.

With that offer being the last straw, the mayor signed the contract as well. “Alright, I'll sent a copy to the baron for approval, but if it's up too me, I'm looking forwards to a long and prosperous working relationship, miss Smith. Welcome to Wellston!”

The End.

Reward Suggestions:

[Asset] Castle Ruins – Ruins of a small castle in the town of Wellston, half an hour from Ryken. Currently barely liveable, but in a good location to build something new.

[Asset] Wellston Contract – Connection to the village of Wellston. Monthly payment in taxes, promise to supply the villagers with goods at low market rates and help with repair jobs, access to their supply of craftsmen/materials.

Sophia – optional title [Naive] – Character's naïve nature might have some try to take advantage of them, but will also make it easier for most to believe them to be sincere.

Ingenium – optional title [Tinker Fanatic] – Character's fanatic nature towards their craft allows them to pay more attention to details and find more opportunities, but also makes it easier for others to take advantage of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back