• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

OOC [Isekai Hell][OOC] It began in fire

gmimperfecti

Supporter
Reference Links
IC-thread for It began in fire (TBD!!)
Isekai Hell Rules
Isekai Hell Characters

This is a 3-scene adventure in the Isekai Hell world. One to two will involve combat, one should involve a social interaction, and one should involve environmental hazard or challenge.

In the first scene, something goes wrong and the group meets with hardship and adversity (e.g. they are trapped in a burning restaurant). Then there is a the figure it out, in which they figure out what and why the first scene happened (E.g. investigation, beating people up, or using magic). Finally there is the conclusion in which the characters resolve the first scene (e.g. sweet revenge, reporting in to someone, etc.)

———

A little about me. I am new to the Isekai Hell rule system, but I feel like I have a decent grasp on the rules. This is an exercise in exploring the rules while running a game. I really enjoy running games and find myself doing that quite a lot. In fact, I’ve been running games for over 20 years, and I have an Isekai campaign that I want to eventually run in this universe. Before that, I want to run a few one-offs or maybe it’s all tied together. We’ll see.

———

In reading the rules for Isekai Hell, I have observed that it’s largely deterministic with a rules-lite skeleton to keep things grounded and expectations easier to manage. I am a big fan of players helping to flesh out a scene proactively and without needing to put in endless qualifiers in their posts. As such, I will allow two situations where you can gain a bonus to effectiveness:
  1. Scene Enhancing Stunt. In Exalted there is a notion of stunting, which allows characters to take their skills and abilities beyond the bounds or at least be creative with them to enhance the story for everyone. While everyone who participates in IH is expected to write well thought out, multiple paragraph posts. A stunt in this sense, builds and enhances the existing scene making everything cooler and more fun. If you do this, you can take a +1 to the effectiveness during the post, limit once per scene.
  2. Something bad happens. If good stuff always happens it gets boring. To support people introducing challenges, adversity, and interest, a character a voluntarily write their actions failing or otherwise introducing an additional challenge or problem in the scene. Effectively the character is taking a -1 or -2 in the post, to use a +1 or +2 later on. Limit once per story. Again, the character self-elicits and notes in the OOC if they think it was a -1 or -2 level of badness that happened to them. They can bank the corresponding +1 or +2 for later.
———

Using skills and narrating success. I would rather bias for pacing and momentum plus IH is designed to be a framework in which stories are made. The emphasis is on stories, and pacing is an important component of a story’s success. As such, I’d rather error on moving the plot forward. I can always introduce a twist or complication to balance things out or help ensure the story remains interesting.

Scenes will thus be setup like this:

Setting:
  1. Overall Scene Difficulty: E, if you want to do something not related to the below.
    1. Now that you are committed, here’s how difficult it is for this. This challenge turns out to be a difficulty of C! Here’s why: a,b,c.
    2. Now that you are committed, here’s how difficult it is for this. This challenge turns out to be a difficulty of G! Here’s why: a,b,c.
    3. Now that you are committed, here’s how difficult it is for this. This challenge turns out to be a difficulty of F! Here’s why: a,b,c.
  2. Location & Time
  3. Goals
  4. Characters

Last edited:
Choose your setup
We will open the scene at a nice restaurant. Make a decision between one of these five choices and then click on the spoiler to help you set the scene.
You must be rich or well connected. Congratulations! You have a very good seat with the best food on the house with a bunch of NPC friends that are sucking up to you! Your table is in the middle where the service is great. You can choose to enter the actual bar section if you get bored of your NPC friends. The scene difficulty starts off at F.
Someone has been trying to recruit you and they’ve managed to convince you to meet them at the restaurant. They will be covering all expenses. You are seated towards the back corner of the restaurant in a more shadowed section. Scene difficulty starts off at E with a social interaction.
You’ve convinced someone or seduced them or otherwise were able to “tag along” with someone. You are here as a stepping stone to accomplish something. Maybe you are here to tail someone, assassinate them, or something else good or evil. Scene difficulty is D to get what you came for, asset or reward to come if you succeed.
You work at this restaurant (only temporarily!) to make some money. Maybe you are working off a debt owed or just tonight’s dinner. You will be amongst the tables but not sitting at any one table. The scene difficulty starts off at F, you will get a debt resolved or a F-grade asset of some sort after the story.
Feel free to come up with your own reason why you are here if none of the above works. For this option, the Difficulty of the scene is E.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back