• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Graded [Osun City] Let's Schmooze!

LadyOfStars

Tu'er Shen the Rabbit God
Hello and welcome! This rp is part of the Isekai Hell universe! If you'd like to join or learn more, visit us here

This rp will focus on the gatehring of a group of merchants in Sol County with the goal of networking to build connections between characters.

Setting:
Weather: Warm, Windy
Time of Day: 7pm

f02ecb635f566da82cf54874f5fd0f5b.jpg

A 'party' wasn't the best use of resources in their current predicament, but Linneus wasn't doing this far the thrills and his guests weren't regular partygoers. The ballroom of the castle had been decorated in royal blue, Linneus' house color and cluttered with flowers all purchased from local florists and farms. Food had been procured and prepared by chefs native to the county as well. With all the troubles plaguing his people, Linneus was trying to do everything he could to keep money in their pockets and food on their tables.

That was where this not-a-party came in handy. He had invited members of the Merchant's Guild to attend and that was the reason for the big show of money. He needed them to know that despite current circumstances, Sol County was still profitable and worthy of investing in.

"Count Linneus Light!" A voice announced as the doors to the ballroom opened up and the Count entered the room. Every head bowed and some even applauded as Linneus made his way to the dance floor. There were merchants of every class here and he planned to grease every palm he could. He needed to.

"This is a beautiful soiree, my Lord." An older man said as Linneus approached a small clique of elderly looking merchants. "Yes, very fine indeed. The decor is of a fair quality." Another man added.

"Thank you gentlemen." Linneus said with a grin that stretched from ear to ear. "Everything you see here was sourced right here in Sol County." He bragged as he watched the men look back at the decor tok it all in once more. "But excuse me, I have many guests to greet." He left them to think further about the possibilities and found his way to the center of the dance floor.

"Thank you everyone for traveling so far for this little gathering! Please eat and drink to your hearts content! There is no shortage of refreshments!" While he had paid for a large quantity of food to be supplied, it was in fact finite, but that was all part of the great game. Another round of applause resounded through the room and Linneus signaled the band to start playing. It was time to start schmoozing these rich merchants and lords.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cleo Rom
"Blue Quill Merchant"

Strength
Precision
Intelligence
Vitality
Speed

{ F }
{ D }
{ A }
{ E }
{ F }

D

Active Titles:
Human| Trader | Merchant | Stouthearted | Closer

-Ryke-
Osun, Sol County

Code by: Shatter Shard

Cleo had attended Linneus' party, as early as many of the merchants and wealthy people, as he too needed connections if he were to go anywhere as a merchant. The Sol County seemed to be a suitable investment for the future, but his travel to the region had given him an insight of the state of affairs of the county. Despite the wealth Linneus openly shows in the party, those up to speed would know that the region is currently being threatened by the Thorne Barony on the east. Not many would try to support a region under duress, but things seemed peaceful enough that a number of merchants were willing to attend this little gathering in an attempt to suck up to the count. Of course, Cleo was one of those people.

The food, the decoration, the lavishness of the ballroom was very satisfactory. Although Cleo had not much experience with other parties of this kind, he instinctively knew how much these things would cost. Not enough to cause a financial problem, but a great amount of money was certainly sunk to create this luxurious atmosphere. The wealth displayed was an achievement that could only be done by nobility, and people with sufficient wealth. Heck, with enough planning, even Cleo could probably create a party like this. If the count was any more... "generous" to the merchants, he would've made the party a little bit more lavish than it is, but the fact that it was "modestly luxurious" spoke volumes to his morality. There was only one reason why the party was the way it is; the count paid for all of these from his own pocket. That alone earned Cleo's respect.

The time passed, and the main character of the show finally arrived at the party. Although Cleo was without affiliations, it was customary to bow one's head to nobility, and so he did. He clapped along with some merchants, but all this time his eyes never diverted from the count himself, Linneus Light. There were a generous number of rumors surrounding his rise in power and influence, and a few were privy to the favors and strings he had to pull behind the curtains to step into his current position. Cleo had gathered this information before his arrival, and he was sure some of the people in the party knew of this as well.

The other merchants started to move and establish connections with the count, but Cleo stepped back and let the eager ones first. Siezing the initiative was certainly a useful move in this current situation, but Cleo had to make sure. He just had enough subtlety to observe the count but was open enough that anyone will immediately notice his gaze if they just pay him attention for a little bit. However, none would know the was currently using his ability to gauge the count (Eye of Midas).

Invoked Abilities
[CD | 0 Post] Eye of Midas: Business F, Perception F, Insight F, Appraisal F | Cleo can see the approximation of the value of objects that he sees, as well as the relative value of a person in terms of usefulness and compatibility, especially on the basis of the Golden Rule. For objects, he sees a white glow that changes in intensity proportional to its value. For people, he can see a variety of colors (and he doesn't know the meaning of all the colors) with the intensity increasing proportional to the basis of the Golden Rule.

Mentions: Shatter Shard Shatter Shard

1a1b44ea9e74ac7a34c8c1aab83848a6.jpg

Count Linneus Light

Cleo's survey of Linneus would reveal to him a great many things, some good and some bad. He held several titles of varying affect and had a decent wealth of his own accumulated. But perhaps the most important would be the aura which then surrounded Linneus. It was not golden, which Linneus and maybe several others would have expected of the magnanimous noble, but a bright yellow color, somewhat akin to the color of the sun with hints of gold on the border. Although he always felt as though he was being watched, Linneus did not suspect he was being watched so closely. He went on laughing and conversing with the other guests in a normal fashion.

In his own mind he kept reminding himself to speak of the county's many virtues and the quality of the people who served under him. "Yes, Baron Dashi Shimeiji was an adventurer and is a great hero. WE are lucky to have him serving as our general and living here in Sol." He hoped that the Baron would not mind him using his good name to gain favor with these people, but rich folk like these loved to hear tales of heroism and adventure.

"I miss traveling the county and seeing the realm's problems with my own eyes, but my place is here in the capital." Linneus mused as he and two others made their way to the buffet table nearest Cleo. A husband and wife, the duo were very interested in hearing about the dangers that Linneus had faced since their own lives had become quite mundane since the birth of their children.

"I lead an expedition to hunt goblins and I was present for the defense of Highgrove village/" Normally these were not things that he would boast about because in truth he did very little in either story. But he needed to tell tales that showed Sol was actively bettering itself and not submitting to its foes otherwise no one would want to invest their money in the county.

As they approached Cleo, Linneus nodded his head in acknowledgement of the man. "How are you finding the party?" Linneus inquired of the unfamiliar merchant.

Linneus' Titles: Count, Human, VIP, Popular Leader, Mercenary Despised, Adventurer Despised, Peace Maker. Precarious Noble, Redcliffe Figurehead

Shatter Shard Shatter Shard

Cleo Rom
"Blue Quill Merchant"

Strength
Precision
Intelligence
Vitality
Speed

{ F }
{ D }
{ A }
{ E }
{ F }

D

Active Titles:

-Ryke-
Osun, Sol County

Cleo kept his face straight, but he could not restrain his surprise as he gazed at the count. A bright yellow aura, such a magnificent color that even Cleo was momentarily stunned from its brightness. The golden border it has also caught his attention, but just like many of the others he had used his ability on, he had no idea on what it meant. He could incur some guesses, such as the magnanimity of the count or him having the most "noble" status among the others. Though Cleo was currently focusing on one thing; the count's color was exceptionally bright. This might be a chance for Cleo to gain a strong connection.

Cleo smiled as Linneus moved closer to a table near him, and he would step forward this time. The count took the initiative to talk to him, and Cleo first took a cursory glance around the party, before looking back at the count and replying. "Appropriate, and modest. your Grace." He answered honestly, nodding his head. "I appreciate the lack of a suffocating atmosphere brought upon by grandeur." He moved his gaze towards the flowers that decorate the room, and his smile widens just a little bit more, before diverting his attention back to Linneus. "I do have to say, your Grace, if the county could provide such high-quality localities..." He spoke, taking a piece of fruit of the table with an ascertaining nod. "...I fail to see why no one had come to you sooner." By saying this, he was openly stating he was a new face among the merchants for being ignorant to the county's actual plight. Slightly deeper was his intention of pursuing this matter. The count would see that Cleo's eyes was showing interest on the prospects of the county.

Mentions: LadyOfStars LadyOfStars

1664505076387.png
Count Linneus Light

Appropriate and modest. The Count's heart broke when he heard the words used to describe the affair. A great deal of money had gone into the event, with the goal being to impress the people who were visiting, but this man found it to be modest and appropriate. He wanted to hang his head in shame, but his outward appearance portrayed no such feelings of defeat. But the man's words were positive overall and that was enough to satisfy Linneus.

"Sol is teeming with even more beauty and riches." He assured the man with a beaming smile. So far he had been the only person to he'd heard praise Sol. Up until this point Linneus had done all the hyping up on the couty's behalf, so it was nice to know that someone else saw some value in it. "Other merchants have already started to expand their businesses into the county, but there are still many commodities to be worked."

The couple who had been walking with Linneus bowed their heads to the Count and waved farewell to Cleo as they separated from the duo to rejoin the party. Linneus picked up a grape and lightly pressed his manicured thumb into the small fruit. The juice spilled out over his nail, glistening in the candlelight while he tossed the grape into his mouth.

"I have only been in my position for a few somewhat tumultuous months now so I've given everyone the benefit of the doubt for not seeking me out sooner." He said after having swallowed the grape. "But I think it is time we found someone to buy some of our farmland, fill what vacant shops remain, and make use of our water ways."

Tonight was like a refresher course in sales and marketing for Linneus. He'd been so busy fighting forest demons and goblin hordes that he'd forgotten what it was like to sell something to someone. "I'm sorry, I haven't asked your name yet."

Cleo Rom
"Blue Quill Merchant"

Strength
Precision
Intelligence
Vitality
Speed

{ F }
{ D }
{ A }
{ E }
{ F }

D

Active Titles:

-Ryke-
Osun, Sol County

Cleo put down the fruit he was holding, and held his breast as he replied. "Cleo Rom, your Grace." He then bowed. "A humble merchant." When he straightened back up, he let out a small chuckle. "Though, a true merchant is anything but humble." He smiled, giving a moment of silence so that Linneus could formally introduce himself as well if he wanted to, before sweeping his gaze to the rest of the merchants attending the party. His coat patterned with blue highlights was accentuated with his proud but restrained posture. After he dropped his hand from his breast, Linneus would notice a small metal emblem on his upper garment, carrying the symbol of a quill leaving a trail of ink behind.

As he swept his gaze, Cleo ruminated on Linneus' words inwardly. The count hasn't been in his position for long, and merchants had been settling in. Though, none had bothered to offer the count to give an export service yet. It was understandable, given that the count's still short reign in the county meant that the region is still stabilizing. Given a few more months, the county should be stable enough, so long as someone give them support, that is. There were a few angles he could approach with, but for now, he had to set his standing to the count first.

"Speaking of the Sol County..." He spoke as his gaze went back to Linneus. "The prosperity of the county seems like something you are trying to actively promote, am I correct?" He asked. "The local commodities alone are already enough to impress me. Not the abundance, no... that can be remedied later." He commented, already explicitly revealing his side on this matter. He looked at decors and food in the ballroom before continuing. "...but what I am impressed at is your pride on all of these, your Grace." Cleo's smile widened a little bit more. "Surely with your guarantee, the merchants would be more compelled to give the county a chance." Cleo was willing to invest, but hid it in the veil of the collective. There was no point in openly claiming this opportunity as his, as doing so would invoke opposition from the other merchants. "But you mentioned buying farmlands, vacant stores, and unused waterways." He mused openly. "Many potential ventures for business, but I am curious on what you hope would happen." Cleo was trying to make Linneus explain more about the county's other potential prospects. Do not assume what the other party wants, let them spill their intention and derive your discourse from that. Cleo had always lived through with this mindset, and seeing that he was in control of the conversation, he was trying to make the best out of it.

If Cleo could gain the count's goals and hopes for the county, it would become a very good way to solidify the negotiation Cleo had been building inside his mind.

Last edited:
1664513008438.png

Count Linneus Light

Perhaps it was the manner in which Cleo spoke or the atmosphere of the event, but Linneus was reminded of his own days as a merchant and as the social climber. The only difference was now he did not need to mince his words or hide his ambitions from anyone. He had put the finery of Sol on display for these wealthy figures to drink in and he knew that the greedy among them would take an interest in that. The 'humble' merchant's pin caught Linneus' eye as he moved around and for a brief moment he followed the trinket's movement.

Cleo seemed interested in what the county had to offer, but he had yet to say so directly. Like most merchants and nobles, he spoke in a flowery way while alluding to desires and interests. Normally he did not enjoy such a manner of speaking, but Linneus was too distracted by the idea of having fond someone to invest in his county's future/

"Linneus Light." He said concisely. "Of course, what lord would not be proud of products that sprang forth from their own lands? My people just happened to be skilled enough to turn the potential of the land into such fine quality." He turned his head upward to look at the fabrics that cascaded over and along the wall; basking in the beauty that was emphasize by the flower pots which had been neatly arranged with a variety of flora. Given the current situation in the east, his people managed to supply him with everything that he had asked for.

A soft sigh left Linneus and his features seemed to relax. "Surely it is obvious, no?" He turned his attention briefly to the other guests who mingled with one another, discussing this and that. "I hope to use my business acumen to secure a bright future for Sol and those within. It will be years before it can be a center of trade or compete with Ryken, but I must start somewhere, and i cannot do it alone. At the moment." A servant approached the duo with a tray in hand, five glass goblets adorned with gold carefully balanced on the disk.

"So tell me, Master Rom, did you travel to Sol for the free food and drink or with the hopes of becoming more than a humble merchant?" He pressed the glass to his lips and took a brief sip of the wine within, his casual stare never breaking from Cleo.

Cleo Rom
"Blue Quill Merchant"

Strength
Precision
Intelligence
Vitality
Speed

{ F }
{ D }
{ A }
{ E }
{ F }

D

Active Titles:

-Ryke-
Osun, Sol County

Cleo didn't expect such a provocative question from Linneus, but he supposed that it was only fair. After all, any merchant who attended his party were surveying for profits or lying. Cleo's smile deepened as he took a wine glass from the servant. "A true merchant is anything but humble." He spoke, his eyes focused on the wine. He swirled it for a bit, before turning his attention to Linneus, his eyes staring back at the count. "And I hope to be a true merchant."

He took a sip, letting the flavor of the win simmer inside his mouth, savoring the taste. He then faced Linneus, removing all pretense that he had held before attending the party. "As it turns out, I really adore your county. You want prosperity; I want investment. You want an associate; I want a connection." Cleo spoke as he scanned the area around him. "You need support, I need to rise." He then settled his gaze on the count. "Your Grace, I'd like to strike a trade deal with you." He paused, before continuing. "I'm offering to buy your exports." Merchants near the two would gasp at Cleo's declaration. It was a gamble on his part, and since the region was still stabilizing, the profits to be made were unclear. However, they could understand Cleo's logic. Strike while the iron's hot. They uneasily looked at each other, unsure if this was the right decision or a massive folly. "In exchange, only sell them to me." Cleo said this with absolute conviction, his tone heavy but honest. At this point, the Merchants had their eyes pop out hearing this, and one couldn't even help but retort. "Are you crazy?! An exclusive trade deal?!" The merchant's words cause the atmosphere to shift, and murmurs resounded throughout the room. "Who even are you, trying to make such a deal?" Another piped up, clearly agitated. Not even they would have the greatest of galls to offer such a proposition immediately to a count no less.

Cleo did not reply to them, ignoring their remarks. He only had his eyes set on the count before him.

1664553454648.png
Count Linneus Light

There it was, a small and brief, glimpse at Cleo's intentions and his desires. How could Linneus or anyone fault the man for wanting more for himself when that was simply human nature. However linneus was worried as to the extent of Cleo's ambition. He had no interest in greedy people looking to get fat off of his hard work or the hard work of his people. The baroness Katriel came to mind, but he remembered that the woman seemed more trustworthy and she supported the growth of Redcliffe. Linneus assumed that Cleo would be of the same mind whe Cleo expressed his interest in buying goods from Sol, but he had not expected the man to boldly suggest he monopolize the county.

While some of the nobles did erupt with frustration and anger towards Cleo's proposition. There were a few merchants who were amused and even impressed, but they were older figures who had amassed wealth beyond anyone else in the room. And they approved of Cleo's audacity. "Master Rom..." The Count raised his hand to silence the bruised egos and turned his gaze to Cleo. "...while I appreciate the interest in Sol, I could not knowingly leave the county's entire export revenue in the hands of one man." There were many questions to be asked, but Linneus was of the mind to refuse. He wished his father were here to help him make this decision or even Torrin, but the advisor had disappeared days ago. He was on his own.

"I would be more inclined to say yes if I knew more about you and your history as a merchant." A few of the nobles drew closer when Linneus inquired as to Cleo's achievements. Everyone wanted to know more about the bold merchant.

"Are you in shipping?"

"Do you own any boats?"

"How many warehouse doe you possess?" The other members of the guild had a great deal of questions and Linneus looked to Cleo and hoped that the man could answer them all.

Cleo Rom
"Blue Quill Merchant"

Strength
Precision
Intelligence
Vitality
Speed

{ F }
{ D }
{ A }
{ E }
{ F }

D

Active Titles:

-Ryke-
Osun, Sol County

He knew these questions would come. And his answer... "None." A complete show of empty hands. Those who were already frustrated with him had began fuming with anger, but the count's gesture had kept them in check. The others were stunned, looking at Cleo as he was some sort of madman. He was part of the Merchant's Guild. Although he isn't as famous or as great as the others, he was still carrying the guild's name. This farce would smear the guild's reputation to the ground, and he would probably be exiled from the guild. However, that's only if he failed this stunt.

Cleo was still calmly looking the count despite his absurd show. Where was his plan? What did he hope to happen? His gaze was deeply looking at the count's eyes. "Your Grace, I have no great achievements." He said, spreading his arms, as if showing to the rest of the crowd his own shallow credibility. "I don't have boats, nor warehouses." Then he held his breast with his hand, a his smile seemed to give off a faint honest desire. "I am a risk, I am well aware. However, I guarantee you one thing." His eyes seem to flicker a faint light. "If you accept, I will buy all of it." He assured, heavily emphasizing a single word. A single guarantee. An honest declaration. "And if I can't, I will eventually buy all of it." He figuratively stepped back, with his gaze withdrawing, and the sharp glint from his eyes was nowhere to be found anymore. "However, it is true that I have nothing to my name." He said, holding his chin in thought. He tapped it for a while before returning his attention to Linneus. "Then it doesn't have to be a monopoly immediately." His smile broadened as he confidently declared with pointing three fingers upwards. "3 months, your Grace. I only need three months." He spoke. "In those three months, I will provide you with economic support, by buying anything you sell to me." There seemed to be a deeper reason for this proposal, but it was without deceit at least. "After then, you can decide if you want that deal, or if you want me out of the picture."

The merchants around him began whispering amongst themselves again, discussing Cleo's bold plan. There were many who were shaking their heads or already accepting the terrible fate that was going to befall on him. Few of them however, had their sights rooted at him. What he did was the most classic negotiation maneuver. Offer something absurd first, then lower the scope to make the second option more reasonable than it is. They were eager to find out if such a mad idea would work out or not.

Invoked Abilities:
{F} [CD | 0 Post] Compelling Discourse: Etiquette F, Persuasion F, Leadership F, Insight F, Empathy F| Cleo has an excellent communicative ability, allowing him to have an advantage in social situations as he knows what words to use when speaking.

1664561353246.png
Count linneus Light

Nothing would have surprised the count more than to hear that Cleo was merchant in name only. If the man was to be believed then he didn't have anything to back his plans aside from money. "Master Rom..." Every part of his body was telling him that this was a terrible idea and he could see on the faces of those around them that some agreed with him. And while his revised proposal seemed far more reasonable, Linneus was still uncertain. "...I offer you a safer option. I will sell to you, half of our exported good for a period of five months. If you do not drown in the wares that you purchase and are able to move Sol's goods, then we can revisit this agreement in five months time and talk something more permanent."

He wouldn't put all of his eggs in one basket, not matter how witty or bold. "The rest of the export goods will go to the best proposals." A smile formed on Linneus' face once more as Cleo's boldness seemed to spur some competition in the other members of the guild. Perhaps this merchant with no claims was not the worst thing to happen to the party. In truth Linneus was a fan of the underdogs and someone like Cleo seemed like a worthwhile investment, as well as the type of person that Linneus wanted to help rise through the ranks.

While the other merchants quickly scrambled trying to find partners for business proposals and ideas, Linneus turned his gaze back to Cleo. "Stick around Master Rom and I shall have the legal papers drawn up for your first venture." This was exciting, even for the Count who wouldn't be involved in much going forward, but he was excited for Cleo to make his mark on the guild. "And there may be greater opportunities for you in the future, if this is an acceptable deal?"

Cleo Rom
"Blue Quill Merchant"

Strength
Precision
Intelligence
Vitality
Speed

{ F }
{ D }
{ A }
{ E }
{ F }

D

Active Titles:

-Ryke-
Osun, Sol County

Cleo's smile seemed to have not changed. "Five months, half the exports then." He agreed, bowing his head with his hand on his breast. "I appreciate you considering my offer, your Grace." He straightened his back and nodded his head. "Your expectations shall not be wasted." Despite Cleo's calm outward appearance, he was inwardly screaming in victory. Such a daring move normally wasn't something Cleo would do, not in many years, but this wasn't a negotiation dealing with a "noble". He was dealing with an actual noble, with altruism for his people, and a dream to lift his region to greater heights. Cleo was hoping to establish a connection with someone like this. The deal wasn't his true purpose, it was to elevate his own value in the eyes of the Merchant's Guild. With so many witnesses and many benefitting from his stunt, the guild was bound to keep their eyes on him. However, this gaze wouldn't be one of oppression, but one whose greed wants more out of him. The first step was to show value. The next step was to out-value the guild itself. This was only the beginning.

But Linneus didn't have to worry too much. Cleo would honor his part of the deal, but it would be a rough first month as he tries to establish a smooth trade. Of course, the count didn't need to know that Cleo went in naked and got out only by the skin of his teeth. Some things were better kept a secret. The only good thing was that there were no lies when he spoke at all. That was what he was confident in, honesty, as he was sure the Count would appreciate it as well. A true merchant is anything but humble, and honesty is anything but a humble merchant.

On the other hand, many of the merchants were once again stunned. What just happened? The realization dawned upon them too late, before they scrambled to take this suddenly large opportunity in front of them. Trying to predict the future be damned! Who cares if the county is still stabilizing? This person before them was still a count who is still continuing to rise to greatness, and so it would do them good to curry favor from him. The wealthier merchants became more interested, but due to their experience, they did not visibly do anything while the others were running around like headless chickens. They were not as impulsive as the younger and greener ones.

1664633663491.png
Count Linneus Light

Perhaps it was a weakness of his and perhaps some would be upset by that, but Linneus could not resist the urge to help people who were trying to make a way for themselves in the world. Supporting dreams and the like was part of the reason he set down this path in the first place. To be the person in the underdog's corner. Now that the deal had been agreed upon with Cleo and the groundwork laid for others to make proposals, Linneus had to get back to socializing in order to secure the future of his county. "Master Rom." The Count called softly as he nodded his head, silently saying farewell to the man. He was certainly someone to watch out for. If he continued to conduct himself with such boldness, intelligence, and charisma, his rise would be meteoric.

AFTERMATH

The party carried on in standard fashion with no other noteworthy investments being made. Linneus and Cleo would finalize their deal on paper. He would be granting the ability to purchase half of Sol County's export goods as promised.

(Thank you for joining! This was a fun respite from the intensity of Linneus' everyday life haha. I can't wait to see more of Cleo.)

Rewards?:

Cleo: Gains Nobility Connection [Linneus Light]

Isekai Hell RP Grade

Alright! So, another great read with Lineuss! Good to see him having a meeting with Cleo, the interaction was great in this, deals and speech. It was great to see it all happen! Great small read as always Luna! Onto the rewards!

Lineuss - 6 Points

Cleo - 4 Points - Asset: Nobility Connection - [Lineuss Light]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back