• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Novama

One Thousand Club
Mentions: NeramoDJI NeramoDJI eloise eloise
OOC: (posting pace is set to weekly. If everyone posts faster than that, we will try for a faster pace. It is Neramo's goal to become Cecelia's Attorney and it is Cecelia's goal to get an affordable ally knowledgeable in Law. Rp will be a short one depending on how well the 2 characters can come to terms.)
Time: 9:00am
Weather: warm in the sun with little air movement. No clouds.
TLDR: Cecilia will find her way to the very busy offices of the Stainless Steel Stein Law Firm where she meets Neramo, a law clerk
Post Listening:

Ryken - Law Firm of the Stainless Steel Stein
In this chapter of Isekai Hell, the fallen noble's daughter Cecelia set out into the city of Ryken to recruit some assistance with her latest idea for securing funds and a means of restoring her family's name. While her upbringing gave her extensive knowledge in several areas, there were still some necessary skillsets she lacked. The up and coming student in Law, Neramo, would meet with her in the law offices of Stainless Steel Stein, the firm currently employing Neramo as he continued his law internship. Neramo had ambitions and would not wish to stay a law clerk forever. Cecelia was tight on funds and assets would need someone willing to work cheaply or pro bono. Both were in a way that would benefit from the other. However, it remained to be seen how compatible the two would be.

The roleplay will begin with Cecelia entering the law firm and meeting Neramo at the front desk as music played quietly in the background. The tight city office was built vertically rather than horizontally so the office had more space for private offices and general clerical work on the second floor. The first floor was little more than a waiting area, Neramo's desk, and one meeting room for more public gatherings. In addition to handling the paper work of several of the firm's cases, Neramo was responsible for keeping the first floor tidy. Any property destruction was assumed to be his fault as well, so he had even more reason to handle his job with care and police the office guests as they waited to see one of the lawyer's of the firm.

The office was a middle of the line in prestige and success in cases. They had some good showings and some poor showings. Their successes tended to be fairly lucrative, however, so the office was well decorated and furnished although simple. There was also a kitchen for the staff to take or prepare meals on breaks. Snacks and tea or coffee could be offered to guests as well.

8fb95105849565cca2b10cf0b317edc6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tag NeramoDJI NeramoDJI

CeceliaOphélie de Renault
Money ruled the world. It was an undeniable fact. Without money what could you do? To even live and function without trouble required money. Those who couldn't afford to live were branded as poor, seen as the bottom rung of society. It was something Cecelia knew all too well. Even when she was alive back on Earth the clutches of poverty never failed to reach her. You would think having the identity of a noblewoman would change the whole game but unfortunately that was simply a pipedream. Having a barely vaild noble status didn't mean a god-damned thing when your wealth, estates and property had all been stolen away by greedy distant relatives. Being impoverished in both of her lives seemed to be one huge cruel inside joke that she couldn't seem to figure out. Perhaps, it was a reminder for her to always remember who and what she was. The body may have changed but that horrible stimga would never leave, borrowing deep within her bones like a blood-sucking parasite.

However, this was soon to change. Cecelia was not going to deal with being a poor woman for a second lifetime. Especially not in a world where culture and technology has only progressed to the point of bearing a resemblance to Europe's Middle Ages. Feudalism ruled the land while the lower class suffered helplessly in the diseased slums. That was a reality she was not willing to accept. As such this is why Cecelia found herself stepping through the entrance of Stainless Steel Stein, a decently reputable law firm located in Ryken. She had briefly adjusted her appearance as much as she could with the few resources at her disposal beforehand outside and used the length of her cloak to hide the poorer quality of her current attire underneath. First impressions were important after all, even more so for this endeavor. It was a shame, for a noble's daughter to be in such a state but it was all she had at hand. Most of the money she had painfully managed to scrape together was used to buy more time for her dreadfully ill father. That man was the only kin she had left. The main branch of the Renault bloodline was practically extinct besides for them.

Her head swiveled around curiously as she surveyed the interior of the firm, quite an ordinary waiting room. Red accents and the quiet melody of music coming from somewhere gave off a calming effect as she ambled over to the front desk where a young man, probably close to her age, sat. "Good day, sir. I am Cecelia Ophélie de Renault and I have recently come to develop a business venture that I dare say will be quite profitable." Posture straight and dignified with a voice confident yet direct and hands crossed politely across her abdomen, Cecelia hoped she wasn't giving off the air of some haughty person or something. Else that would destroy everything she was destroying to build up in mere seconds. "Though I am afraid my knowledge of law within Ryke is quite lacking. I was hoping to find someone here that could explain them in-depth and go over them with me." There was a pause after those words as she tried to find a way to sugarcoat the next ones that would come out of her mouth. "However, It should be known that my financial circumstances at this time are quite.. sparse but should my venture indeed reach the success I expect to see, I will pay them a handsome reward in return for their help." Basically, to sum it all up she was broke at the current moment and was looking for someone to do contract work for almost no money at all. It was quite embarrassing to say out loud but it was her situation and she had to deal with it.

Neramo Blackwood
1653450393688.png
Neramo was sitting at his desk in the front, doing the paperwork necessary after his last case with the lesser crime lord, which resulted in a guilty verdict after undeniable evidence was provided. However, his attention was brought away from such paperwork when he heard someone open the front door, looking up and placing his steel plated pencil down, resting his hand on his stone desk. "Hello?" He asked with a raised eyebrow, seeing the woman enter into his office.

"How may I help you?" He asked, wondering if this was a potential client, or a potential assassin or something. He had no clue, but he didn't intend to really do anything until she tipped her hand. However, he needn't wait long as she did her introduction, as he began to listen attentively to her statements regarding what she wanted here. It was a bit tiring, but if he wanted to become more prominent in the court, he would need to start small, he already knew this. He was a criminal lawyer first and foremost, but it would displease his firm if he turned away a client.

The girl was rather pretty by any standard, though Neramo only noticed that in passing, since his main focus was on her requests for a lawyers assistance in paperwork and protocol. Which he had extensively memorized and recalled. So he could certainly help her. However, there was the issue of monetary compensation. Without some kind of transaction, he couldn't help her. Not because he didn't want to, but because it would be unlawful to give legal advice, as that by default makes her his client, which requires a monetary connection. And he would never break a law.

"It is a pleasure to meet you miss Cecelia. I can assist you, however, there is still the issue of money. I cannot give legal advice without some form of contract, as that would make you my client. However, if we were to formalize this Debt, or IOU, then I could give you my full assistance. And by formalize, I mean put it into a contract, signed by both parties." He said, pulling out a blank piece of paper. "I can write one up once we have decided on the terms, so our only step now is negotiation for what debt is acceptable, and how I can mitigate risk for my firm through security." He said, perfectly ready to assist her, but only if he could do so while also helping the firm that had let him work for them even with his curse.

Tag NeramoDJI NeramoDJI

Cecelia nodded in astute understanding as the man finished speaking. A written contract formally acknowledging her debt was something she could deal with despite how daunting it may seem. She wasn't an unlawful person nor someone that went back on their word so she would easily deal with it once her monetary issues were resolved. Thus being in debt didn't perturb her in the slightest. Decisive and thorough, that's how she dealt with many things that challenged her. Cowering in the face of adversity would never get anything solved.

However, the word 'IOU' made her eyes narrow in calculation before they softened down into their usual look. [god] had said that there would be others like her coming into this world and just the mere notion of that made her uneasy, that meant competition would be fierce. Worse of all, there was no guarantee these others would be friends or foes. But fortunately as far as she could see the man in front of her seemed to be an ordinary inhabitant of this world. Nonetheless, her guard was up and on the contrary raising even more. Even the most inconspicuous of people could be hidden dangers. One could never be too cautious. Especially in an unfamiliar world.

"I'd like to formalize this debt then. As for negotiation, should we move to a more private area or will our current setting be acceptable?" There was a hint of impatience in her tone. It wasn't because this procedure was beginning to take long or anything but her thoughts from earlier began to make her feel somewhat apprehensive. What if another otherworlder had the same idea as her? Then wouldn't all the effort she was preparing to put in be for naught? Plagiarism wasn't something her current reputation could take. She was already walking the fine line between being a socially ridiculed outcast. One small hit could completely destroy her.

Neramo Blackwood
1653519350477.png
Neramo nodded slowly, before shaking his head. "We can continue this in my office." He said, standing up and walking back towards a door near the stairs, opening the door and gesturing inside. "I apologize for the gritty appearance, some accommodations had to be made." He said, stone covering the walls and floor, as well as most surfaces being made of it, besides what was assumable the guests chair. "Now, lets begin. We should begin by settling the payment expected, and then we can begin by settling the matters of how to legally begin your business." He said, sitting down in his metal chair.

There seemed to be scratches and other chips in the stone everywhere, with a small scratching sound coming from his chair as he pulled it up, sitting down and using a metal clamp to put the paper down, grabbing a metal plated pencil from nearby. Most of which had been paid for out of his own paycheck. "The usual rate is something that couldn't be expected to be paid here, due to a lack of cash on hand, so instead, we'll put the payment in the form of a tax debt. 20% of your profits over the next 7 years would cover the usual rate, if you make the usual amount of a starting business. However, this amount can be negotiated on as we go." He said, giving a rough estimate for what would repay it. He specifically said profits, since 20% of her total sales would tank her business and prevent her from making a living, this was only skimming off the top so to speak, as he had no intention of taking an unfair amount.

He himself didn't care for other isekai'd people, since he had no real reason to. He was a simple lawyer who intended to change the world through the law and enforcing it uncompromisingly, and if others got in his way, he had no doubt in his mind he could remove them from his way.

Tag NeramoDJI NeramoDJI

Receiving confirmation from the man on her offer, Cecelia shadowed him as she was taken into his office. "There is nothing to apologize for, I am not one so focused on appearances." She responded whilst giving a cursory glance of the stone covered room. It was the simple truth for a person like her. Living in even worser conditions than what would be considered acceptable for a human made her become numb to such surrondings. Her gaze then came to rest upon what she presumed to be guest chairs. Pulling out the nearest chair to her, the left one, she sat down and crossed her legs mannerly as the law clerk began to speak again.

Most of the words spoken by him were understood by Cecelia, thankfully she had taken that business course at school, and thus she showed her understanding by giving a slight incline of her head at the appropriate moments. The man in front of her was quite smart. Smart enough to be a lawyer at least. He had specifically stated profits instead of sales since 20% of her sales over a period of 7 years would totally destroy whatever business she had. While she was completely convinced that this business would take off and gain massive traction, there was no absolute guarantee it actually would. The world was forever changing and unpredictable. "I feel this is quite fair and I cannot find any fault in what you have proposed. Is there anything else I should be aware of?" Thankfully it seemed like the talk about Stainless Steel Stein being just in their work was creditable.

Cecelia couldn't possibly imagine being in debt to people that resembled loan sharks or something. The horror that would be.

Neramo Blackwood
1653519350477.png
Neramo nodded slowly, glad that she understood the terms as they were, grabbing the plated pencil to begin getting the terms into paper and written form, making sure to write out any potential loopholes, since he despise more than anything someone using a wording loophole to escape legal constraints, by following specifically the wording of the law rather than the spirit of it. Which is why he had been practiced at removing loopholes, and keeping things firmly bound by the contract. He began to write it out, finishing it with a flourish of the pencil as he made a nearly perfectly straight line at the bottom of the contract. He signed his name upon it, near the part writing he was representing the Stainless Steel Stein Firm in this contract, before using the metal clamp to turn the paper for her to look over. "The terms of the contract are written there, read as you like and sign when you are ready and if you find them acceptable."

"The only other thing I can think that you should be aware of, is that for the most part I will be the one coming by to collect payments if I am able. Doing so myself prevents any corruption from occurring from the usual tax collectors." He said, his grip tightening at the thought of dishonest collectors. "Eventually I will weed out the last of the corrupt vermin, but until I can, I like to collect debts myself, then extensions on payment dates can be organized as needed on the spot rather than postponing, as well as the aforementioned prevention of too much being taken from you." He said, explaining the idea behind it all. "Once you sign we can begin getting you the needed permits and documentation and contacting banks for any needed loans."

Tag NeramoDJI NeramoDJI

Cecelia watched the plated pencil dance upon the paper with rapid attention, slender fingers tapping against the material of her seat in a concentrated rythem. Upon the completion of the contract and him turning the paper towards in her direction, her eyes read over the written terms in a detailed fashion. She even went as far to read the entire thing three times over to ensure her own vision could be trusted. No hint of veiled tricky or loopholes in the slightest. While she did indeed hold a certain degree of faith in the Stainless Steel Stein Firm, that didn't mean she completely trusted them. Well, actually she supposed that the small trust in her heart would be for the man whom sat in front of her. Not the compacy she was representing. Neramo Blackwood. That would appear to be his name from what was signed on the single line on the paper.

A thin brow lifted up curiously upon the firm tightening of his arms, betraying how he felt after saying his piece. Did the mere thought of corruption upset him? How very interesting. She mentally filed that information away for later. If there was ever a later. Though, It was better to be safe than sorry. Even something minor like that could be helpful in dire circumstances. "That's quite the ambitious goal you have there, Mr Blackwood. I wish you endless success in achieving it." A ringless finger meant an unmarried man or at least a man who didn't bother to wear his ring at work. Thus she politely used the correct title for an assumed bachelor. But despite that deduction, her words were sincere. It really was an ambitious goal to have. Especially for a simple law clerk. Yet only time will tell who would win. "I see. That means we will be seeing more of each other then. I hope for a pleasant continued partnership." Again something truthful from her. At this time she was without allies and she was a determined girl trying to overhaul the cosmetics business in the country.

It was a dangerous thing to do without someone to have her back. With this line of thought, Cecelia realized that she and Neramo were more alike than she had previously discerned. They were just two small ants against the world fighting for something more. How funny it was for them to meet? "May I have your pencil?" Once said utensil was in her grasp, the delicate and cursive letters of her name appeared on a newly drawn line beneath Neramo's. She handed back the pencil after it fulfilled its use. Now all that was left were proper permits, documentation, and.. loans. The latter most likely wasn't needed, Cecelia had a stash of Rykes she set aside for this exact scenario. It had hurt to do when she could have used them to help her father but she considered the long-term benefits of it and could only swallow the uncomfortable feeling that settled in her throat. And if her little stash wasn't enough for the start-up funds she could do a little side hustling or something. Anything to avoid pulling a loan from a bank.

Being in more debt than she already was, wasn't practical at all.

Mentions: NeramoDJI NeramoDJI eloise eloise
OOC:good job on sealing the deal. a promising start.
Time: 10:00am
Weather: warm in the sun with little air movement. No clouds.
TLDR: Cecilia the fallen noble and Neramo, a law clerk, come to an accord.
Post Listening:

Ryken - Law Firm of the Stainless Steel Stein
With the exchange of words, coins, and documents, the pact was formed. Cecilia had now acquired an ally with a particular skillset that would aid her in her goals. Little did Cecilia know, Neramo had told her a small lie. He was not actually a lawyer of the firm, but a clerk. He was no where near as skilled or practiced as the namesakes of the Stainless Steel Stein Firm. As such, he would also be unable to use their name when managing an official matters. The lack of prestige would not necessarily impede official matters, but it would slow things. A no name practitioner of law didn't exactly inspire fear of being sued for service or outcomes. It would mean both parties of this agreement would have more to learn: "don't trust a stranger. Especially, someone working in a law office." and "Putting on airs can create tough situations".

Their morning concluding, the pair would likely need to move onto the next stage of the plan, whatever that may be. Depending on what they discussed, there were any number of ways to spend the rest of the day working towards the goal. Gaining capital would likely be a matter of urgency. Perhaps the "lawyer" could argue her case to regain some of her lost assets, but otherwise finding someone with more liquid assets may be more useful for fast and easy startup exchanges.

8fb95105849565cca2b10cf0b317edc6.jpg

The End

Isekai Hell RP Grade
Good roleplay. Focused. Direct. Good dialogue and exchange. A bit short for ability use, but it gave more time to 'feeling' the scene, so about as good as things get. Not sure where you got the idea Neramo (with an F law skill and F connection to court) was a barred lawyer. If I said that in the past, I was lying. Maybe I should be a lawyer. On another note: vertical posting styles are hard to read. I promise that the default wide post style is fine and easier to read whether on mobile or desktop.

Aftermath
The firm learned of Neramo's indiscretion and relieved him of his clerical duties with the firm. They would not press charges, however. The lost client in this case would have not brought them any revenue worth mentioning so there was little in the way of damages.

Rewards

Novama(Michael) -
5 points (narration points)

Cecilia - 10 points
  • optional title acquired [Poor] - character has spent most of what meager funds they have to the point where survival in becoming a legitimate question. Character will have trouble meeting basic needs until they can better secure themselves in the world. Will have an easier time receiving charity from others.
Neramo - 10 points
  • optional title acquired [Imposter] - Character has successfully posed as something they are not and gotten others to believe in them. Character is naturally more believable. However, any who find out of character's faking will forever have doubts in what they say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back