• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Graded [Isekai Hell] Legacy of the Erased

With the camp packed up and a plan of action, the duo heads into the forest to look for the marked tree. It was, unsurprisingly, not easy. Plenty of trees but no marks. It almost got to a point that Orchid felt like she was hallucinating marks on a tree, but alas she didn't find anything. At least not until a few hours passed and finally, they found a tree with a mark. "Hey boss, over here!" Orchid heads over to a thin tree, barely big enough to provide cover for Victorique, and about seven feet up on the tree was a blue symbol of the moon. However before Orchid would touch it, Victorique would notice that the symbol inside of the moon, while looking closely like a teardrop, was actually a more of a kite shape. Likely a decoy symbol meant to catch people who knew what signs to look for but weren't looking too close at their specific design. All this search and they only found this so far... But as Victorique would look around, she would notice something else.

Though they've just arrived, there was a bush with a broken branch near this tree. Looking closer, Victorique would find shallow intents in the ground. Footprints, fairly small ones, slightly larger than hers but smaller than Orchid's. Deep in the heel, narrow at the toes. Someone wasn't wearing the right shoes for marching through a forest. Examining this, Victorique found a trail of foot prints through the forest, as well as other signs of movement such as some more broke branches, disturbed rocks, and torn off moss from trees. But what she also notices in the distance was a bloodstain on some leaves. Blacken and congealed, but blood nonetheless. "Boss, is this the symbol? Should I touch it?" Orchid asked as she pointed towards the symbol.

Victorique Sopheana

When she signed up to find a princess and a stolen Sun Shard, she hadn't expected to end up wandering through woods at the foot of a mountain for ages, yet here they were. “No, it's just a decoy.” She said with a heavy sigh. However, she got a lot more excited when she got closer to those marks. “Now those look like a fleeing princess' traces if anything. Let's follow them~”

When she spotted the blood, she clicked her tongue. “Seems like our princess pressed the decoy and got attacked. Keep your weapons ready in case the monsters are still around and let's go see if she's still alive or not.” She warned the Orc, before continuing to follow the trail of evidence that'd hopefully lead them to the princess.

With a trail to follow Victorique and Orchid rapidly made their way through the forest. The princess' trail wasn't hard to follow as she was running through the woods, her foot prints changing from her noble heels to bare feet. But along the way the duo would come across a strange site: some sort of tiger like beast with a bass of tentacles making up it's mane, dead and impaled on a tree branch. Flies and maggots were already eating away at it's body, with crows pecking away at the remains. "Cripes. Did the princess do this?" What Orchid would notice is that the tree branch doesn't look quite natural. Victorique's eye for detail would note that the tree branch seemed to have been grafted onto the tree, and that the branch itself is unnaturally sharp. As if it just grew I to a conviently shaped spike to impale the monster on. The work of magic.

From here the foot steps seemed steadier. The princess wasn't being chased and she wasn't bleeding anymore. And before long they would finally find another tree, this one baring the correct mark. When touched the mark would dissapear, though nothing else would happen. "Guess we need to find the lake next. Hey boss, what do you think happened with the tiger thing? Think that was the princess or something else? We still don't really know much about who or what's helping her. If it's the demons, wouldn't they just be able to tag all the marks and get through here easy-peazy?"

Victorique Sopheana

Heels going to bare feet. That made something click. “Nevember or his scouts must've been here as well. It wouldn't surprise me if those shoes he had were the princess'.” Victorique shook her head. “I doubt it was her. She wouldn't have had to run all the way here first if she had such a power.” The fact that the footsteps were steadier and without blood suggested she might've been healed as well.

After finding the right mark, Victorique nodded. “The kid mentioned a river, but yeah, we should find the water and whatever this Seeing Stone is, with the right markings again.” As for Orchid's question, she honestly wasn't sure. “The most logical conclusion is that someone saved and healed her, but who, what or why is tough to guess. I can't see any signs of struggle, so it seems like her saviour also won her trust. Perhaps it's one of the Ascended she hoped to find that came down to hunt her after she pressed the wrong mark, but instead ended up saving her.”

"Hmm. More answers we get, the more questions that gotta be asked. Really hoping the princess is willing to spill the beans once we find her. If what you say is true, she's got a good heart but has a funny way of getting shit done." Orchid notes as the duo went to look for the river. This one was easier to find as VIctorique's keen senses will eventually find the sound of running water, and from there it was just a matter of looking for giant rocks on the riverbank. That too was somewhat easy: some of the stones weren't actually that big, but the ones that were had obvious symbols, though they were all wrong. It was easy for Victorique to conclude that the big marked stones were merely distractions and they needed to find smaller ones. It was then Orchid who surprisingly was able to find the right stone in the river itself: partially buried underneath kept and other river stones was a large rock with the symbol needed. While Orchid wanted to fish it up, to ensure that doing so doesn't accidentally trigger the stone by mistake, they would have to touch it while in the water. Orchid made sure to secure Victorique as she touched the stone and when she did, suddenly day turned into night.

The sun blinked out from the skies, and there was no moon to be seen at all. Only an endless sky full of stars. Here was the final puzzle to reach the hidden village: to climb the mountain to find the position where the stars match the shape Ansven showed them. Problem was that even Orchid could easily find the constellation that they were suppose to find. She had to spend a good while double-checking the clues they had, but Orchid pointed out the rough rectangle shape with the seven points within to Victorique. So now they just needed to climb the mountain to find where exactly that position was.

The mountain climb was more of a challenge than the forest or river. There was no paths, no walk ways, and Orchid had to rely entirely on her sheer jumping abilities to reach it. Victorique herself could easily scale the rock walls due to her agility and speed. Her lightweight also enabled Victorique to land in places that Orchid couldn't due to the weight of her equipment. It was as they were jumping around that Victorique would receive another revelation: the position they needed was meant to be a body of water. She would realize this when she came across a pond and saw the star's reflection off of them. They needed to find the one body of water that reflected the constellation they see. And this was easier said than done, as there was many obstacles in their way, none of which were accessibly by any means but climbing, jumping, or perhaps flight. "Ugh. These demons sure don't make it easy to get back home. Think they got wings or something to just skip past all this bullshit?"

Some more time would pass, and the unnatural night still continued. It was hard to tell the passage of time when there wasn't a sun or moon in the sky, and the stars don't seem to have shifted any either. Orchid ponders if this was some sort of illusion, but doesn't really expect an explanation. Mostly just voicing her thoughts in lieu of complaining. But soon at last, they would reach the pond they were looking for. It was surprisingly large, almost a lake really. The constellation they were looking for was nearly at the center of the lake. There was some thought about how to even reach the spot, but Orchid tested the waters and realized that part of it was solid like ice. Another illusion perhaps. Carefully the warrior would take the lead to the center of the lake, walking inches over the surface as they reached the center. For a moment nothing happened. And then the ice and illusion broke.

The fall was mercifully short and strange magics seemed to have slowed their decent. It was like a blast of wind was pushing against them, making sure they don't just crash into the ground. Victorique and Orchid would find themselves in front of some sort of temple. No one seemed to be here, but the doors were open. "Huh. This is either a fancy door to the village, or the crypt itself. I don't know what to expect here boss, but let me take the lead just in case." With Orchid taking point the two would enter a large hall with tombs lining the walls. Each tomb had a massive stone brazier that glowed with ghostly blue flames. When approached, a spirit would appear from a brazier. Each one seemed to have a riddle, much to Orchid's confusion. "Now what the hell is this all about?" There was a door at the end of the hall, but it was a massive stone door that likely weighed tons, and had no obvious handles. Exasperated, Orchid simply would keep watch and let Victorique puzzle this out.

Each of the tombs would reveal a spirit that asked a riddle. One could simply leave without awnsering, but Victorique would get the feeling that a wrong answer would invite some sort of danger. Regardless if she got the answer right or wrong, it was obvious that all riddles needed to be answered in some fashion before the door would open.

The first was a tribal looking woman, with a painted body weaving some sort of charm in her hands. "Echoes from a shadow realm, whispers of things yet to come. Thought's strange sister dwells in night, is swept away by dawning light. Of what do I speak?"

The second looked like a warrior of some sort, also of tribal origins. However he was extremely gaunt, looking more like a skeleton than a man. "No man has seen it but all men know it. Lighter than air, sharper than any sword. Comes from nothing but would fell the strongest armies. Of what do I speak?"

The third was an elven woman. Her clothes looked very fine, like what you'd expect someone to wear to a royal ball. She carried a small hand harp and strummed it as she spoke. "The smallest lark could carry it, while a strong man might not. Of what do I speak?"

The fourth was an elven man also dressed as a warrior. However he looked like he was dressed for colder weather, with thick furs underneath armor plates branded with holy symbols. "The bones of the world stretch towards the sky's embrace. Veiled in white, like a bride greeting her groom. Of what do I speak?"

The fifth was a strange one. It was quite obviously a demon, resting against an executioner's sword. Notably his hands and feet are chained together, as if he was the one to be executed. "She wields the broken sword, and separates true kings from tyrants. Of what do I speak?"

The sixth was another demon. Unlike the previous one, this was looked absolutely demonic, armed with vicious weapons that made Orchid's poleaxe look like a toy. And yet what was most notably were the tears coming from his eyes. "A poison of the soul, passion's cruel counterpart; from love she grows, till love lies slain. Of what do I speak?"

The seventh looked like an elf, but something was off about him. Maybe it was because he was a spirit, but his skin looked extremely pale and his eyes disturbingly dark. When he spoke, his teeth were sharp like a beast instead of a man. "I'd neither a guest nor a trespasser be. In this place I belong, that belongs also to me. Of what do I speak?"

The last one was a very regal looking woman. She had all the classic fittings for a baroness type of character, a black widow type. She had a rose that seem to grow around her hand. "An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. The debt of blood must be paid in full. Of what do I speak?"

Victorique Sopheana

Victorique couldn't agree more with Orchid's statement. “It certainly has all the signs of being a typical 'naïve princess doesn't know how the world works' signs. Then again, perhaps we're underestimating her or missing something.”

After an annoyingly long puzzle and riddle game, they arrived in a tomb with only more riddles. “At this point I'm almost inclined to believe we're dealing with a trickster deity instead of some demons.” She sighed, going through the riddles. She wasn't ready to answer any of them just yet, instead theorising aloud. Even though the Orc might not be the investigator here, she might be able to spot something Victorique was overlooking. The one thing Victorique hated about riddles, was that there were always multiple answers possible and that people's natural confirmation bias would always work against them, as they'd be more inclined to have the first thing that came to mind 'fit' in with the riddle rather than to think it through critically. Even she herself couldn't run away from such a basic human thought process, hence it was best to say things aloud and share the thought process with someone else.

The first was a tribal looking woman, with a painted body weaving some sort of charm in her hands. "Echoes from a shadow realm, whispers of things yet to come. Thought's strange sister dwells in night, is swept away by dawning light. Of what do I speak?"

The first riddle instantly had her come up with some options. “The first one could be dreams. They're similar enough to be considered a sister of thoughts, they come mostly in the night and if you wake up at dawn, they would vanish by dawning light. I'm not sure about the echoes of a shadow realm, whispers of things yet to come though. Perhaps some sort of revelation or nightmares in particular?” She'd make sure to check the charm as well, just in case that would give her any additional clues, like it just being a dream-catcher. “Perhaps some sort of bad omen would fit as well, like a blood moon, but I'm not sure how that would fit in with the night.”

The second looked like a warrior of some sort, also of tribal origins. However he was extremely gaunt, looking more like a skeleton than a man. "No man has seen it but all men know it. Lighter than air, sharper than any sword. Comes from nothing but would fell the strongest armies. Of what do I speak?"

The second one had her think for a bit longer, until she checked the spirit again. If these spirits represent hints, I'd think this one would be starvation or hunger. You can't see hunger, nor weigh it, so that would fit. If you can't keep your armies supplied with rations, it'd also fell them easily. It'd also come from nothing, quite literally. Nothing to eat and all. I'm not sure if I'd call it sharper than any sword, but with riddles like these, you never know how literal or figurative some of this stuff is meant to be.”

The third was an elven woman. Her clothes looked very fine, like what you'd expect someone to wear to a royal ball. She carried a small hand harp and strummed it as she spoke. "The smallest lark could carry it, while a strong man might not. Of what do I speak?"

“Looking royal, playing an instrument, talking about birds... Could be a song, but I'm not sure if you'd say you carry a song. Perhaps grace or elegance? You can carry yourself with grace and elegance, is what you might say. The detail on a strong man 'might' not suggests that they could still do so and I'd imagine a strong man could be graceful or elegant, just not necessarily so based on strength, so that part would fit as well.”

The fourth was an elven man also dressed as a warrior. However he looked like he was dressed for colder weather, with thick furs underneath armor plates branded with holy symbols. "The bones of the world stretch towards the sky's embrace. Veiled in white, like a bride greeting her groom. Of what do I speak?"

“Bones of the world...” That one took her a moment, until she tied it together with 'veiled in white' in that riddle. “Ah, of course, mountain-tops covered in glaciers!” She was pretty happy with that one. “Mountain peaks certainly stretch towards the sky's embrace as well, and this spirit looks like he's clothed for could mountain weather. I'm not entirely sure about these holy symbols though, if they have any meaning to something more specific...”

The fifth was a strange one. It was quite obviously a demon, resting against an executioner's sword. Notably his hands and feet are chained together, as if he was the one to be executed. "She wields the broken sword, and separates true kings from tyrants. Of what do I speak?"

Victorique gritted her teeth. “This one is tough. I could come up with too many things that might fit. Justice, revolution, history, honour...” She missed a clue that would give her a hint towards something more concrete, so she looked closer over the spirit. A demon, an executioner's sword, hands and feet chained together, ready to be executed... “It might also be the power to stay in power, so to stay?” She got annoyed at this point. “How am I supposed to know what the maker of this riddle considers a true king? Someone able to organise everything below them to get away with whatever they want and brainwash everyone into calling them their king regardless of what happens? That sounds like what demon might say. Then it's power. However, if this was made by someone more idealistic, it's probably something like justice or honour. Ruling not with an iron fist, but with wisdom and... ah, come on, it might just as well be wisdom itself as well!” She stomped her foot on the ground. “Could also be victory, as they do say the victor writes history and history decides how you'll be remembered.” She shook her head. “I'm getting nowhere. There must be more to that broken sword analogy. What is a broken sword? An uprising or revolution? The people's will? The passing of time?” She was thoroughly stuck on this one, but perhaps Orchid had a break-through revelation or thought.

The sixth was another demon. Unlike the previous one, this was looked absolutely demonic, armed with vicious weapons that made Orchid's poleaxe look like a toy. And yet what was most notably were the tears coming from his eyes. "A poison of the soul, passion's cruel counterpart; from love she grows, till love lies slain. Of what do I speak?"

“What's the opposite of passion? Hatred? No...” She was a bit confused on this one as well. “The spirit looks like he's grieving, but I wouldn't call grieve the counterpart of passion either. Theoretically speaking, I'd say the counterpart of passion would be total disinterest. Apathy, perhaps.” She shook her head. “That doesn't fit the spirit at all though...” It had to be something else. “Okay, the second part, growing from love... obsession? What's the word for something when you love someone or something, but grow apart from it to a point you can't be reconciled? The spirit reminds me of those great tragedies where great allies that loved each-other deeply, albeit platonically, ended up drifting apart due to a disagreement or issue they couldn't agree on, to the point where eventually they were forced to go to war against one another. The spirit being armed to the teeth, yet grieving, really brings out that sense across. What could cause that to happen? Jealousy?” She wasn't sure on this one, but if she had to bet something, it'd probably be jealousy, as apathy didn't seem to fit and jealousy was what seemed to be in line with the tragedies she recalled.

The seventh looked like an elf, but something was off about him. Maybe it was because he was a spirit, but his skin looked extremely pale and his eyes disturbingly dark. When he spoke, his teeth were sharp like a beast instead of a man. "I'd neither a guest nor a trespasser be. In this place I belong, that belongs also to me. Of what do I speak?"

“What..?” Was her first reaction. That was short and very uninformative. The guy looked like a vampire or something, some ghastly apparition. “A shadow...? That seems a bit odd, but that would be neither a guest nor a trespasser. The place it belongs could just be the surface where the shadow is cast upon, which would also make it belong to it, in a sense.” She shook her head. “I could be completely on the wrong track with this one though. I'd say this spirit looks like a former shadow of an Elf, but that'd be a big stretch to make the spirit fit the riddle, rather than a confirmation of what I'd been thinking.” She was probably missing something. “Hmm. What about sunlight? Sunlight is neither a guest nor a trespasser and this guy probably had very little of it. Perhaps it's darkness then, that'd fit him better. He seems like a creature of the dark.” Once again, she wasn't sure, but darkness would be her best guess.

The last one was a very regal looking woman. She had all the classic fittings for a baroness type of character, a black widow type. She had a rose that seem to grow around her hand. "An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. The debt of blood must be paid in full. Of what do I speak?"

“Isn't that a saying from the bible?” She was a bit surprised that it existed in this world. The eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth one. Enough so to be put on the wrong track. “My biblical knowledge isn't the best, but I vaguely recall it being about mercy, as it was common to pay people back double the harm and escalate violence, whilst this demands people to pay back in kind instead. It could be about some type of justice.” There was one thing that made her unsure of her answer. “That rose is throwing me off though, as well as the spirit's general outfit. It makes me think more of vengeance, but why a rose... penance?” She shook her head. Was there anything specific about the 'debt of blood' part? “Debt of blood seems too closely related to something violent, so vengeance would be my best bet. I'm not sure how to fit in that rose, I'm afraid, so I'm not confident on this one.”

Those were her best bets. She was definitely more sure about some of these than others, but perhaps Orchid had some break-through thoughts, or perhaps close observation of the spirits would allow her some additional insight to solve these riddles.

Victorique's uncertainty made Orchid uneasy, but she didn't want to look like a thoughtless fool. She decided to help Victorique think, either via confirming what she thinks is right and working out what might be wrong. Orchid took out her journal to jot down the answers she thinks is correct for reference keeping, as well as a few that might be true.

"Dreams, nightmares, I think they're both good. Maybe just dreams in general? Since you can't have nightmares without being able to dream in the first place." When answered with dreams, the spirit spoke. "A dream came upon me as my daughter slumbered beneath my heart. It told of her life and of her betrayal and death. I saw what would happen, and yet I knew that it must be done. I am sorrow and regret. I am Bronia. A mother weeping bitter tears for a daughter she could not save." The spirit bowed her head and vanished.

"Hunger sounds about right. Anyone with an ounce of military thinking will know how important logistics are to any army, regardless if you're human or not. Stupid being think armies only ever had to fight each other, but that's risky for both sides. No, it's far easier to starve the other out, making them too weak to fight before going in for the kill. I bet that strategy works even on demons." With this answer, the spirit nodded his head. "Yes, hunger was the weapon used against the wicked creatures of the Hells. She kindled the sun's flame, scorching the land. Their crops failed, and their armies could not march. Then she opened the heavens and bade the waters flow, and washed away their filth. I am Karthe, disciple of Pylia and commander of Her armies. I saw these things done, and knew the gods smiled on us."

This one stumped Orchid for a bit before realizing something. "Maybe it is a song. Or a tune? Cuz you can carry a tune, if you knew what you were doing. I don't really know if a strong man can't carry a tune but the spirit did say he might not, and I'm pretty sure a lark is a type of songbird." Thankfully when Orchid answered this one, the spirit bowed her head. "Yes. I was her dearest friend in childhood, and always we would sing. She celebrated the beauty of life, and all who heard her would be filled with joy. They say the gods themselves was moved by her song, and then she sang no more of simple things." Orchid noticed something strange and spoke to Victorique about it. "Um, they're talking about Lucilia right? They're being weirdly nonspecific about who they're talking about."

The fourth one Orchid also figured was Mountains, so she didn't really have much to add. Sure enough the spirit would nod and vanish, his words left behind for the duo to hear. "Yes. I carried her body out of the Hells and into the mountains to the east where She could gaze ever into sky... Forever to be bathed in the sun's gold. No more fitting a tomb than this could we find." This at least confirms that this is a tomb, quite possibly of Lucilia. Orchid was still apprehensive but they were doing good so far so she did her best to stay calm.

The demon really made Orchid think. Just like Victorique, Orchid was stumped for a true answer. There was so many things that separated kings from tyrants and it wasn't as if someone couldn't be both, technically speaking. The best Orchid could guest was that since this was Lucilia's tomb, and these are likely people related to her, they spoke something positive about her. Or maybe at least in relation to her. Orchid tried to rack her brain with an answer and spit balled an idea. "Maybe... Maybe it has to do with not using the sword. To break it first. That's the sort of thing you do when you wanna stop fighting right? Break your weapons as a sign that you don't intend to seek further hostilities. I remember uh, reading about something like that once. This demon looks like he's suppose to be killed but hard to do that with a broken sword. So he was spared. So how about Mercy?" The demon's eyes glowed red, but soon he bowed his head as well. "Yes. Born into a life of domination and cruelty, I could expect nothing less than to be another casualty the cycle of violence. But her mercy broke the chains that bound me, and thus freed me to seek redemption by my own will. I am the penitent sinner, who shows compassion as he hopes compassion will be shown to him."

Orchid wouldn't even have a chance to say anything as the furious demon looked down, his armor falling apart to reveal a much smaller creature, a human. "Yes, jealousy drove me to betrayal. I was the greatest general of the Mirrans, but beside Her I was nothing. Hundreds fell before Her on bended knee. They loved Her, as did the gods. I loved her too, but what man can compare with the divine?" Orchid seemed quiet listening to him. It struck close to home to her but she didn't really want to dwell on it.

Trying to put her thoughts to something more constructive, Orchid thought about this riddle. "Well, this man is obviously a vampire. Pale skin, sharp teeth, a dark demeanor. He's either a vamp or a goth, could be both. And if they are a vampire, I bet they follow those vampire rules, right? Stuff like counting rice, being weak to garlic, must be invited inside. Speaking of that... I bet what he's talking about is a home. A place you can call your own." Orchid answered this one and the spirit nods his head. "It was my dream for my kind to have a home of their own, where we would be welcomed not as monsters, but as people. The enemy of my enemy is my friend, and thus we followed her, against the demons. But she was betrayed, and so were we."

The last spirit unnerved Orchid. It was almost like... This one wasn't a spirit. Something about her seemed a lot more alive than the others just by the way she carried herself. Maybe that was just her generally imposing aura though. But Victorique's answer with Vengeance seemed to have pleased the spirit, who transforms the rose into a whip of thorns. "Yes. For far too long had the demons ruled with fear and violence. When we were freed, we demanded retribution for the suffering. She could not bring her self to put the demons to the sword, but neither could she deny the sorrow of her people. And so I became her scourge, to punish the wicked where she would not."

With the last spirit appeased, the door opened. There was a bright light glowing from the room, so bright it was blinding. Orchid could barely see a thing, and Victorique needed to use her bodyguard to shade her eyes. But squinting through the light Victorique would see the Princess turn to the duo in front. Flanking her sides were the baroness woman and the demon who was meant to be executed. However they were not spirits. They were very much alive, though they didn't seem to pay attention to Orchid or Victorique. Instead they were looking at one another and they looked like they were about to fight.

Victorique Sopheana

With some help and alternative insight, they eventually got all the riddles correct. To Victorique's surprise, they got a story in return. It was quite the history lesson of betrayal, but as she'd said before, the winners are the ones that write history, so she wasn't too surprised by hearing this alternative version of history. She was a lot more surprised when the princess was right there with some ancient folk that were looking ready to fight. That was the point where she admittedly lost all track of what was going on here. Had the Sun Shard freed or resurrected some folk? Ah, then something clicked. “Ah, so the vampires helped fight back the demon, yet were betrayed. Yet who was betrayed then? Wait...” She was starting to piece some things together.

At this point, it was time for Orchid to start doing her job, as Victorique was salty as all hell and was not going to put it behind wraps. She directly addressed the two that were about to fight. “So just because one human fool couldn't contain his jealous nature and turned into a demon and a betrayer, you, the vampire queen, decided to just wipe out all demons, even allied ones? Then you somehow got the actual saint killed, stole her name and got your own kind condemned to be targetted by human fanaticism as well in the process?” She was expecting there to be more to this story, but this was just too many levels of idiotic. “I'd like to respect some parts of the dedication, but this is just too tragically stupid.”

She looked at the princess. “I'm not sure how you got caught up in all of this, but you've got half the country looking for you, or rather, the sun shard you process. I'd also cancel any engagement plans you might've fostered with Nevember as the dude's a dickweed that is trying to hire folk to come find you with the intention to backstab them. Whatever he pretends to be, I for sure hope you're not a naïve enough fool to buy it.”

She clicked her tongue. “On the topic of folk coming here... Princess, unless you want to risk exposing whatever demons are hiding relatively peacefully out here to danger, you might want to come with us to return the Sun Shard. Enough folk are about to wander these mountains to start up some real trouble. Also, vampire queen, your misdirected vengeance already got your entire kind nearly wiped out and cut off from their dream. The least you could do is find whomever remains and get them to safety somewhere from the constant human fanaticism.”

The only one she had some genuine sympathy for was the mercy demon, who seemed to have been the only one not making stupid decision one after another. It's why he was the only one she didn't blast with an almost suicidal level of annoyance.

All eyes were on Victorique. If looks could kill she'd be dead five ways before a blink of her eyes. Orchid stood protectively in front of her client, but even she could tell that in a straight fight, there's no way she'd win against either of these two monsters in the room. The baroness was the first to speak. "You know nothing of what I had to do that day. Pylia was so naive, to believe that redemption and kindness could have won the heart of her enemies. But she never considered how the heart could be twisted and corrupted, to be used against her. If our own allies could fall to their twisted desires, how could we possibly believe the demons themselves weren't already going to do the same?"

When the princess her Victorique's word, she nods solemnly. "I am all too aware of what Nevember intends. In the end, all he can think of is power and how to obtain it. I thought with the Sun Shard he would no longer have need to take these mountains and leave it's people alone, but as soon as he saw it he wanted to use it to take what he thought was his, and his alone. Power corrupts, which is why I had to take it away from him, and the church. And I... I can't stand the lies anymore! How people like him and the church use faith and hope to turn good people into political tools! Even the royalty is built in a throne of lies: my family has no connection to Saint Pylia, the true savior of Mirran. They were usurpers all the same, using her memory to take the throne for themselves and wipe away anyone who opposed them!"

The demon was still ready to fight, but at least he stopped looking at Victorique as a threat. Instead he looked at the baroness and spoke on Victorique's behalf. "Do not let your pride blind you, Lucilia. The demons of this mountain are under my control. Our duties have been the same since I had renounced my freedom to serve Pylia: to protect her. The Little one is right: you should remember what your duty is, to provide hearth and home to your people. But that will not happen here. Whatever your machinations are, I will not allow you to defile this grave."

When Victorique mentioned the forces coming to this mountain, a decision had to be made. The baroness wanted... Something here. The demon wasn't going to let her. So in the end it was down to the princess to decide what happened. Suddenly, all the power was in her hands. She had the means to take what she wants, but at what cost? Would she also be willing to sacrifice the lives of those here for her ambition? Was she strong enough to make that sort of decision? "That... Is enough. This cycle must end." She whispered quietly. Lynette stepped forward, walking towards Victorique and Orchid. The light from the Sun shard began to fade.

"In these few short days I've been here, I've learned that... Too often we sacrifice too much, and demand some sort of compensation for it. The idea that this is a just world, where all good deeds are rewarded and all sins punished, that is just not our reality. I thought I knew this but seeing all of this, I've come to realize that things aren't so plain. Good intentions became the seed to atrocities. A demand for justice becomes a legacy of blood and hate. I'm sorry Lucilia... I cannot help you have your revenge. The demons are not our enemies. From the very beginning the true enemy was ourselves all along. I should have seen that but I always thought we were better than that."

This did not please the vampire. In a flash she shot her hand out at the princess, and spears of thorn went to impale her. But the demon was faster, extending his arm out to be impaled instead. His body twisted in a sickening fashion that ended up with his hole body between the vampire and the group. "Run into the abyss, I have made it so it will take you back to the surface! Quickly now!" From the shadows more demons appeared. They looked like Ansven, but dark and malignant. They attacked the baroness but more thorns appeared from her body, impaling the demons as she shifted into a more monsterous form. The demon himself took on a bigger shape that filled the room and pushed the group out the door.

Back out into the hall where the spirits were, there were thorns growing out from the walls, threatening to tear this place down. Orchid picked up the princess and made sure Victorique was okay too. "We got to go! This way!" Orchid ran back towards the entrance. There was nothing above or below but darkness, but the alternative was getting impaled on thorns or crushed by falling rocks. Orchid choose to jump, and whether or not Victorique wanted to she would also end up falling into the abyss.

When the three came to, they were back at the base of the mountains. It was day again, or maybe the afternoon. Time was a bit hard to tell. But they were just in time to reach the road back to town. The princess was largely silent and otherwise unharmed. She kept the Sun Shard on her person and never let it go, even if asked by Victorique or Orchid. When they reached the castle the Princess she received word that Nevember had already left to conquer the Haven Mountains. So Lynette had someone go find him. Which incidentally, left very few people to stop them when Kybette then went to ask for horses for the three of them to ride back to the city.

They would reach the city by nightfall. The city never slept but meeting the trio at the gate was Sister Quenya and a few paladins. They escorted the princess back to the chapel while Quenya stayed behind to speak to the duo. "Thank you for your assistance. I knew to trust the adventuring guild for this job! I trust that things were not too difficult for you. Truth be told we didn't expect you to be gone so soon and had sent some folks to find you. We were surprised to hear that you all went to the Haven Mountains within a day. But I suppose that all is well in the end." Quenya presented Victorique and Orchid a small bag each. Payment for a job well done. A sizable amount of money, and badges representing honor guests of the nation of Mirran. Quenya would invite the two to stay for celebrations, but regardless the job was done. Still many questions left unanswered, with the fate of everyone involved still in an unknown spiral. But maybe it was for the best. Maybe this was just the Legacy of the Erased.

Isekai Hell RP Grade

Lucius Cypher Lucius Cypher Elvario Elvario

Rewards

Orchid - 20 points

Victorique - 20 points

Extra Rewards
each member of this rp has acquired an item for winning community vote

Asset [Memento] - This item of age and history will forever and always ensure the owner never forgets one specific thing. Can transcend scoops, lives, and mental tampering to ensure owner will never forget something incredibly important to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back