• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Graded [Ryken City] Help wanted! So it shall be a competition!

Skyhunter

Bringer of Change
Roleplay Availability
Ryken

The Capital city of Ryken! A glorious and pretty wealthy city, with a long history that many would try to forget or not mention. Within the large walls of this wonderous city was many for one to discover, guards combed the entire city, keeping the peace. The small alleyways holding many secrets that one could purchase through shady contacts... A academy where many well versed in magic could attend if they are willing to learn the magical arts! Around the city, flyers were littered on walls, on doors, hell even on a few folk.

--- HELP WANTED! ---
In search of a new apprentice that knows what they are doing! Needs to know what a hammer is at the least. (You'd be surprised) Come to the end of the Market Square and you'll see the large building called Bastard's Bastard. And bring your own gloves, what am I your mother? This will be a competition too you cur! So bring your best hammer! -Rossle Deva​

26604ec8519f6b7b1f9baef84b537d1d.jpg

Elsewhere, on the other side of the city, on the end of Market Square, there was a blacksmithing workshop. Many gathered in front of the closed and locked doors of the Bastard's Bastard, a well renown smithy, wanting the opportunity to be the apprentice of Rossle Deva. A dwarf that was missing a eye. Many chattered talking about how they'll be the next great Rossle Deva or even Gjardo Helva. Renown smithys in their own right. There had to have been twenty or so people crowding the doors of the closed shop. It looked like it would be stiff competition.

The doors opened and out walked a large dog almost the size of a man, looking close to a bear. All the people crowding the doors backed up terrified to see such a beast thinking it was going to attack them. But that couldn't be farther from the truth. The dog barked, almost liked it roared as it wagged its tail. Pretty proud of itself for scaring off the people crowding the door.

0680e565e4a7d1e1e58ea79d6c7c32f0.png

Then out walked a smaller built man, having to be at most four feet. " Good boy, Bulky! Get these bastards from crowding the doorway. " a stocky dwarf announced, patting his companion on his side as this Bulky looked proud to be praised by his master. The dwarf looked to the many competitors, his eyepatch being revealed to all those who wanted to become this wizard of the forge's apprentice. He wore thick clothes underneath his blackened apron, having a large hammer on his trousers that looked like it was heavy, but with his muscular structure he could wield it as a fist.

d6e4994a1bfc62f7745f5c983de25446.jpg

This had to have been Rossle Deva, well renown blacksmith. Wizard of the Forge. One-Eyed Wonder. He stared at each applicant with his one eye, looking each up and down. Muttering to himself as someone walked up to him to try and introduce themselves to Rossle. He pointed at them as he snapped out of his thinking and self talking. " Ye are out! Ye lack patience now get off me forge! " Rossle pointed at the shocked attendant, they didn't know what to say and tried to explain themselves but then Bulky stepped in and began to growl deeply, the six foot dog could scare anyone as the disqualified man jumped and walked away, staring at the dwarf with distaste. Not happy with the results.

The dwarf went back to his antics and stared at each of the qualifiers again. " Alrighty then! Ye know who I am already, Rossle Deva! And this es Bulky! " The six foot dog/bear hybrid barked his hello to the attendees. " E'll be aving a competition to see oo's worthy of being my new apprentice! Last bastard decided to leave thinking he knew everything! E couldn't even find is own cock of it slapped him in is face! " Already this introduction should tell you who Rossle was.

" Any questions? " The dwarf asked with his massive hands on his hips. Bulky sat down behind his master staring at each of the competitors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Michael
b23ce4889bfa791fbc6ed9c17e020a5f.jpg
Michael stood in the crowd near Tannia. He showed surprise and amusement at the Blacksmith's antics, but listened. Michael was pretty similar to the average human male in the gathering, but he did stand out due to his odd clothes. Although he had acquired some more common clothes for the world, the light, sporty material of the clothes he had on when he transmigrated were more comfortable for a day of outside activity. His running shoes were looking worse for wear, however. Muddy, worn, and loosening in some areas, the shoes would likely need replaced with something from this world, but most options lacked support or flexibility in Michael's opinion.

"He sure picked a weird moment to pause,"

Michael muttered under his breath to Tannia, impatiently waiting for the blacksmith to get to the terms of the competition. While he waited, he unconsciously shifted his weight between his feet and occasionally rocked back and forth on the heels of his feet. At least the day was pleasant enough to be idoling outside like they were. People unconsciously gave them some space in the crowd. No one wanted to stand too close to the weirdly dressed fidgeting man.

Skyhunter Skyhunter Ian Temero Ian Temero

Smith.jpg
Tannia Duellona

Strength - F
Precision - C
Intelligence - F
Vitality - F
Speed - F

"Alright, everything checks out. Welcome to Ryken." The guard at the gate said and Tannia took her hand off the black orb and nodded, hoisting her bag over her shoulder. She read the flyer in her hand for the umpteenth time. Bastard's Bastard? Seriously, who named their shop that? Why would they think people would shop there? She sighed and tucked the paper away. This Rossle Deva had better be worth it.

She turned back to look at the boy that had been following her for the last few days as he was tested. Michael was his name. The kid had begged her to take him on as an assistant until she had finally agreed. Had to give it to him, he had perseverance. She still wasn't quite sure how he would be of help, but he was rather quick on his feet. Maybe as an errand boy? Well everyone had their uses and time would tell what his was.

Tannia waited for the kid to get through customs before moving on, saying little as they walked through the city streets. After a while they came to the market square and she let out a low whistle at the crowd that had gathered. Not the biggest group she had ever seen, but she certainly had not been expecting this many for a blacksmith. "Maybe this guy's actually as good as they say." She muttered just loud enough for Michael to hear.

She found a spot near the back and sat on the edge of the central fountain, pulling out some jerky and chewing on it as she listened to the chatter. Lots of bragging. So many people already assuming they had already won. So many people about to have their fragile prides shattered. If talking was all it took to be a smith then anyone could be a master. But smithing took skill and that had to be proven through action.

Then the door opened and a missive dog came out, scaring the crowd back a bit. Tannia just raised a brow. She'd seen bigger beasts, but never a dog quite that size. It was almost adorable. Then the one eyed dwarf stepped out and immediately disqualified someone just for trying to introduce themselves. He was blunt and abrasive in his own introduction, and a little crass, but that was about what she had been expecting from read the ad.

He paused for questions and Tannia just sat back and waited to see what would happen. She understood how this was most likely going to work. Michael on the other hand seemed not to based on his comment. "He's testing us, kid." She explained quietly. "Anyone who says anything now will be deemed too impatient. Besides with this man's personality the less questions you ask in general the better. Less talk, more action."

The one-eyed dwarf looked over each of the competitors, Bulky did the same, following Rossle's eye with his two large orange eyes. " Oo as a hammer? If ye do, don't raise your and. " Then a couple of others that were looking to join raised their hands, one was a elf, another was a large human and lastly a halfling. Rossle pointed at all three of them. " Ye, you and ye. " He stated then pointed away from his forge and home. " Get out of ere. Did you fools not read the damned waver? " Rossle looked very annoyed with these three who looked disappointed and began to slink off. " A pair of bastards and a fat bastard. " Rossle growled as they finally left. He shook his head with his hands on his hips.

Bulky woofed at Rossle when he began to mutter and get annoyed. The dwarf turned around " Ah. Right. " He huffed and turned to the remaining competition and observed the rest. " Alright ye bastards. Into the forge. I wanna see what ye can do. " Rossle moved down the door to a smaller building connected to his home and shop. His bear dog followed after him as Rossle placed his hands on the heavy wooden doors and pushed them open.

Inside was revealed many weapons and armor that had been recently crafted, it looked much bigger on the inside. Armor that looked expensive were set on wooden dummies to show people what they'd look like. A lot of it looked heavy, others looked lighter than others. Same with the weapons, swords, spears, clubs, daggers, axes, and more. There was quite the variety, each looked expensive and unique in their own right. It showed his crafting prowess and dedication.

" Welcome to my forge, this is where the weapons and armor that protect lives and take them are born at. " Rossle announced, his forge was a huge one, sitting in the middle of the room, a anvil and cauldron of water was nearby. Tools of Rossle laid on a stool that was in between each station. The dwarf looked to his companion who huffed and ran off in the back of the shop, disappearing behind a shelf with weapons laid on it. Rossle turned to the competitors and chuckled lightly, " I wanna see where each of your knowledge is at. " The dwarf started. " So, I'll see what you know. " Snapping his fingers, Bulky came out, walking with some sort of staff in his mouth, having his head twisted so it was sticking in the air and wouldn't knock anything over. Getting to Rossle, the dwarf took the weapon with a open hand. " You. Step forward. " He pointed to a large orc who had seen some fights, having scars on his face.

Tossing the staff to the orc who caught it, the orc held it in both hands. " What is that? " Rossle asked. The orc observed the weapon for a few moments first and looked to Rossle. " A bo-staff. Made from hard wood called Black Modle. Hard to carve. Handle made of soft silk for comfort and control. " Rossle nodded, " Aye, orc. Correct. " the dwarf handed the staff to his bear dog companion who took it back to his armoury. One by one, people either go the weapon or armor correct and moved on, or got it incorrect and was kicked out. Getting to Tannia, he observed the lass for a moment since she was one of the only women here, snapping his fingers Bulky came back with a weapon. Rossle handed it to Tannia. " Tell what that is, what it is used for and what its made of lass. " Rossle crossed his arms and waited for a answer.

HRKatar.jpg

Just as the weapon was handed to Tannia, Bulky the large beast came back with a armour that was being dragged on the ground. Rossle stared at the armour and picked it from Bulky's mouth. Tossing it to the strangely dressed Michael. " Oi, sharply dressed bastard. What is that? Tell me everything about it. Since Bulky chose a easy selection this time... " The bear/dog huffed like he was talking back. " Don't give me that attitude, I'll cut your fur off and make you look ridiculous. " Bulky said nothing back and huffed looking away. " Aye you back talking bastard, now human, tell me what that is. "

battle-ready-children-s-medieval-habergeon-chainmail-armor_3__88869.1564504893.jpg

Mentions: Novama Novama Ian Temero Ian Temero

Michael
Michael stood anxiously in the smithy. The dog alone made him anxious, reminding him of some of the beasts he encountered in the wilderness. Being in an enclosed space with one didn't help. The blacksmith didn't make Michael feel anymore at ease, seeming to be the sort to sick his hound on someone just as quickly.

Just strong enough to catch the armor tossed to him, Michael took a step back as the metal clinks crashed into him. He shifted the suit of links around to get an idea of what he was looking at. Invisible to the natives of the world, Michael's skill Appraisal activated. His eyes shimmered and between Michael and the chainmail in his hands, a series of transparent overlays appeared detailing various aspects of the Chainmail.

Not sure what the blacksmith wanted specifically, Michael started to parrot off what he saw from his Appraisal skill of the item. Primarily, what it was called, overall quality, and typical uses. Michael was quick to give the armor back, not wishing to hold onto the cumbersome item longer than necessary. It was then Michael began to feel like there was a misunderstanding. He wasn't there to participate as much as to support Tannia in exchange for some crafting favors later on.

Smith.jpg
Tannia Duellona

Strength - F
Precision - C
Intelligence - F
Vitality - F
Speed - F

"It's a katar." She answered before she had even taken the weapon. She didn't even need to use her appraisal skill for this one. Once it was in her hands she rapped on it a few times. "Full low carbon black oxidized steel." She took it by the handle and jabbed at the air. "Also called a punching dagger. Meant for just that."

"Or it would be if it weren't for this." She added, tapping the decoration. "The pierced chiseling reduces the durability. If the gold damascened didn't make it obvious this is a decorative weapon. A show piece, not meant for practical combat. Probably meant for a noble."

She looked over to where Michael was appraising his own item, a chainmail shirt, with surprising detail. It seemed the master smith had mistaken him for a competitor and Tannia just smirked, not bothering to correct the mistake. It would be interesting to see how far the kid could go.

The dwarf listened to each answer that was given, some he nodded and looked impressed, others he didn't look impressed and just huffed. As Michael gave his answer going into detail, Rossle nodded as he took the chainmail back. " Yes, strangely dressed lad. Good. You look smarter than you look. " Rossle commented as his companion Bulky took the chainmail and walked off with it to the back.

Being given back the Katar, Rossle looked very impressed and satisfied with the answer from Tannia. " Yes, Lass, correct. " He said in a loud and happy tone. " I wouldn't make a weapon for noble believe me, my talents would be wasted on someone as snobby and cowardly as them. " Rossle scoffed as he held the weapon. " But this was a gift to someone I once called friend, a treaty if you would. Damn bastard, I'll stab is eyes out with this. " Rossle held the weapon tightly with a growl. He sighed and gave the weapon to Bulky who came back just to take the weapon and run it back.

Once finished with seeing everyone's abilities on identifying a weapon or armor piece, Rossle pointed to Tannia and the Orc. " You two step forward. " He then pointed to outback. " Out back there are two smelters, I want to see if you can identify what ores are gathered around the smelter then smelt one of ye choosing. When you are finished with thee product, bring unto me and I'll grade your work. " Rossle assigned the two. " Follow Bulky now. " The large bear/dog huffed as he just got back to Rossle's side, barking at the two, he turned around and headed back through the shop.

When Tannia and the Orc got to the back there was two smelters that looked like they had been just planted there, already heating up. In front of the smelters were many different types of ores, from Iron to corundum to malachite. Bulky barked at the two then ran off back to his owner, the orc snorted and looked at Tannia, " You. Gurl. " The orc started. " You're not getting the better of me. " He stated as he chuckled. " A woman doesn't belong on the forge, certainly not one like you. You belong on your knees or in the kitchen and bed. " The orc laughed as he walked to one smelter looking through ores, finding one to smelt.

---

Rossle began assigning everyone else assignments and then got to Michael.

" You, lad, step forward. You don't look like ye belong ere. Especially with your getup. " Rossle pointed out. " But you seem capable. So, I'll give ye a assignment. Go to that grindstone, " The dwarf pointed to the wall where one laid next to a assortments of sword and other weapons. " and sharpen this ere dagger for me. " Rossle pulled a dagger and pointed at Michael like he was going to stab him only to flip it and catch it by its blade and handed it to Michael. A generic steel dagger but the handle was well crafted and wrapped with a dark red cloth that wrapped around it in a artistic style.

Smith.jpg
Tannia Duellona

Strength - F
Precision - C
Intelligence - F
Vitality - F
Speed - F

As Tannia followed Bulky she reached out and snagged the set of billow pipes from Rossle's forge. She already knew what it was she was going to smelt, it was just a question of whether or not she was given the materials. Stepping outside she watched the dog walk back to its owner before the Orc caught here attention. His sexist comments made her blood boil, and she glared at him. But that was all. Women can't do this. Women can't do that. She'd heard it so many times in her life, and yet she had proven every single one of them wrong. This time was going to be no different.

She stepped up to her smelter and waved her hand in the air, windows popping up over all the ores, displaying what they were and what grade the material was. That was something she had discovered very quickly upon coming into this world, that everything had a grade, and that the higher the grade the better the quality. There was F rank iron, D rank corundum, E rank malachite. She paused when she spotted some C rank ores and sighed. It was a shame, if she were more skilled she could do something with those, but as it was she'd just be wasting good material.

Finally she found what she was looking for. Some D grade iron. She then began sifting through the coal, looking for any that were labeled as coke. Once she had what she needed she walked back to her smelter and paused. "Hey asshole!" She called over to the Orc, holding up her slab of ore. "How about we make a bet? If you win I'll put down my hammer and be the good woman you think I should be. But if I win? You'll get down on your knees, apologies to me, and crawl out of this shop like a dog." She smirked at him. "That is, unless you're scared a girl could beat you?"

Michael
Michael took the knife handed to him, once again having the situation thrust upon him before he could properly explain. Caught up in the moment and looked to where Rossle pointed to put together what he was told to do and act upon it. He found he had an easy time taking orders. Perhaps it was in relation to years being in sports where you just had to single-mindedly do as the coach instructed and you were likely to win during competition.

Sitting down at the stool for the grindstone, he had no idea what he was doing. Appraisal would easily tell him what an item was, but it did not walk him through step by step how to use every single item, especially ones of skilled trades. He had to acquire the skills first in many cases. He found that out first hand with his Parkour Ability. He stared at the worn grindstone for a moment before trying things.

He made his best effort while chatting with Rossle. His foot easily found the peddle that got the wheel spinning. It was spinning in the wrong direction away from Michael, but he knew no different. The trough the wheel spun in was filled with a lubricant and cleaner for the wheel, so all Michael had to do was apply the blade to the stone at an angle the blade could be sharpened with. Unfortunately, Michael did not know the proper angle to hold the blade nor did he know the right direction to face the blade during sharpening. A few dainty touches of the blade to stone suggested Michael's anxiousness with this new activity. It didn't help the wheel was spinning way faster than it needed to be and there was more than one time where the wheel threatened to rip the blade from his hands and send it flying.

"It was actually my intention to help Tannia, the woman out there, with her run in the competition. I fully admit I'm not as capable at this as they are,"

Michael confessed to Rossle in hopes he would be excused from the dangerous task he was currently performing with difficulty. Hopefully before he got the knife stuck in himself or someone else. Or before he wore the blade down to a stub. Some of the trough water began to splash and splatter from the speed of the wheel.

Meanwhile by the smelters...
Smelter.jpg

The large orc was looking through each ore, trying to find one he could use. Grumbling under his breath as he picked a large slab of ore up that looked like orichalcum. Chuckling the orc stood up as he heard the small woman call to him, turning to face the woman to see what she had to say. He looked almost impressed with Tannia, a bet? What kind of Orc would he be if he backed down from such a easy bet. And get a free woman out of it? Not a bad bet. The orc laughed a hardy one, still holding the ore as he walked over to her and loomed over her. " You have balls, woman. " He complimented. " But your balls may be a bit too big for you. I accept the conditions of this bet. When I win. I'll show you where your place is at, woman. " His dumb looking eyes scanned over her body then back up at her face. " Very cute. I may keep you as my wife for a long time. "

He stood back up and began laughing as he headed back to his smelter. " Show me what you can do woman! " This orc was confidant, he was stupid and perverted but confidant. To many that'd be intimidating but to others it was a sign of over confidence and they were biting off more than they could chew. The orc began the melting process, placing the ore inside the smelter, adding heat with coal and using a bellow blower to push oxygen inside to make the inside hot enough to melt the mineral out of the ore. Through a long process, eventually he was able to extract a large piece of orichalcum that looked decent, he had a large smile on his face thinking he had won.

---

Rossle watched Michael try his best to sharpen the dagger on the grindstone. The dwarf was patient, he knew Michael wasn't trying to compete. His clothes showed that to Rossle, but the dwarf was curious as to if this kid had potential. Rossle almost giggled when Michael almost had the dagger fly out of his hands when tbe grindstone was too fast. But kept his laughing to a minimum. But when Michael explained himself to the dwarf, he walked on up to the kid and took him by his shoulder and pulled him off the grindstone and onto his feet, for someone short he was pretty strong. Taking the dagger from his hands, the dwarf examined the blade. It was dulled down in a few spots, overall it was a terrible job. Not bad for a newbie but still bad. " Aye kid. I can tell you aren't really trying to do this. Ye clothes tell me so. " the dwarf sat down on the grindstone.

Pumping the mechanism a few times with his foot to get it going, he would press the peddle every now and then to make sure it maintained speed. Then at a angle began to gently place the dagger against the stone, easily scraping metal shavings off the blade to give it a sharp edge. " Not a lot of ye are showing promise but there are a select few that do. Ye friend is one of them. She has her head on straight. Hopefully she can knock that big ole orc out of here. That bastard's a bastard and has been trying to get into me good graces for a while now. " Rossle explained. " Ye need to find your place, it is not here. Obviously. " The dwarf finished sharpening the dagger pretty quickly and got off the grindstone. " Ere. " He handed the steel dagger to the boy. " Thats how you sharpen a weapon. And keep it, you may need it, lad. " Rossle waved his hand. " Now go see if ye friend is doing alright. That orc is good at this line of work. " Rossle blew Michael off as other contesters came back with what Rossle wanted them to do. Others did good and others did bad, those that did bad were kicked out of his workshop.

Smith.jpg
Tannia Duellona

Strength - F
Precision - C
Intelligence - F
Vitality - F
Speed - F

The orc looked her over and Tannia gritted her teeth. If it had been the old her she'd have already force fed this man his own ball for daring to look at her in such a way. But this was the new her, the Tannia that would prove her place. Still wasn't going to keep her from cursing him under her breath as she walked back to her own smelter.

She tossed in the iron ore and began shoveling in coal. Much like the Orc she used the bellows to push in oxygen melting the minerals around the ore. Unlike the Orc however, once she extracted the metal she didn't stop. She placed the iron chunks in a large ladle, added some powdered coke, and slipped it back into the furnace. This time she used the bellows she brought from inside, pumping both to make the fire as hot as possible. Thanks to her appraisal skill she could actually keep track of the temperature and the quality of the material. Three thousand degrees, that's where she needed it to be. Hot enough to melt the iron, to force the iron to release its oxygen. This process took a while, long enough that the orc was finished before she was. After the window had changed from iron to crude iron she pulled the ladle out, added pieces of glass as a flux, and placed it back into the furnace. Then she let it sit and purify, reducing the carbon content.

Once more the metal changed from crude iron to steel and Tannia pulled it out, examining her work. It wasn't done yet, but all the smelting was done. Next she would need the forge. But first she would have to turn in her work to Rossle. If he was as good as folks claimed he'd be able to tell that this wasn't the finished product.

Michael
Michael took the knife gifted to him by Rossle. A nice participation trophy if there was such a thing in that world. Would be a useful tool and he had learned the rough idea of how to sharpen a blade properly. Should hopefully come in handy when he eventually acquired some proper weapons.

"Thanks,"

He said to Rossle after the dwarf had already moved on. He was already cleared to leave but, depending on how the next phase of the competition went, Michael chose to stick around in the smithy as the smelted ores were being introduced. With appraisal, he could pretty much follow along with Rossle as he appraised them himself, manually. Even with appraisal, Michael could really tell the difference between the quality of the ingots. Despite the varying grades, they all looked like lumps of metal to him. Likely there was more subtle differences Micahael wasn't able to pick up on or perhaps some things could only be determined when they were actually put to the test in a forge.

Michael joined Tannia when she finally came back into the smithy.

"You are looking a little warm, perhaps I could help with some of the manual labor or gopher work for the next phase of the competition,"

He whispered to her, assuming whatever she made would likely get her into the next phase, believing in Rossle's prejudgment from earlier.

As Rossle tore some of the other competitors a new hole and had them leave, Bulky was barking the dwarf who turned to his large companion. " Aye, what do you want you large hound. " Rossle had his hands on his hips. The bear/dog twisted his head over to where Tannia and the orc were at before barking again, the dwarf moved his hand through his beard and nodded " Aye... I see... Thank you for letting me know you big block. " The dwarf turned to whatever competitors were left and shouted. " Oi. Everyone one who isn't the orc or the lady, get the fock out of ere! " He called but if Michael was to leave, Bulky would move in front of him to tell him to stay.

Hearing sounds of disappointment and anger from the ones that had to leave, Rossle cared not. They were useless to him and the dwarf knew it'd come down to these two, the woman vs the orc. Aye. Should be a great battle of blacksmithing. Rossle walked on out into the back seeing the two having their ores melted down and were now ready to be crafted. He stared at the two ores, looking unimpressed. " Hmm... " He then pointed at Tannia. " You're up first. Take it to the forge. It's all ready to go. " Rossle moved out of the way and pointed on inside.

Looking to the orc, Rossle chuckled. " You look nervous Orc, does this woman have you scared? " The dwarf asked, the orc scoffed. " Scared? Of a woman? Never. She's only lucky to have gotten this far. And that's all there is to it. " The orc laughed as he mocked Tannia. Rossle didn't look to impressed with the orc but his one eye was on Tannia, this was her chance to prove the orc wrong.

Smith.jpg
Tannia Duellona

Strength - F
Precision - C
Intelligence - F
Vitality - F
Speed - F

Rossle gave Tannia the go ahead to use the forge and she wordlessly picked up her chunk of steel and headed inside. Michael came over as she stepped in and offered his help, to which she nodded. "You'll have three tasks." She told him, passing him the billows she had borrowed. "Keeping the fire hot with that, keeping the forge stocked with coal, and holding the tongs as I fold the steel. Think you can do that?" Then without waiting for an answer she turned and tossed the metal into the coals.

It took a minute for the steel to heat and Tannia pulled it out and took it over to the anvil where she hammered away at it, sparks flying with every hit. It took a couple of heats before the lump began to form into a bar, and once it had she motioned for Michael to take the tongs. "Alright kid, bring that over here and hold it steady." She instructed, picking up a hot-cut knife. Finding the halfway point on the bar she hammered the back of the blade to cut most the way through lengthwise. She then had Michael hold the bar over the edge of the anvil while she hit it to fold the metal over on itself. She took the square, rolled it around in a pile of ash and straw, poured a slurry of water and clay over it, and stuck it back in the flames.

Over and over they repeated this process. Hammering the metal into a bar, scouring and folding it, coating, and reheating. A total of ten times, until very few sparks flew off when pounded. Now they were ready to move onto the next stage. Shaping the weapon. She had Michael stay on the billows now as she heated and hammered the steel, meticulously drawing the metal out into a short blade. Finally she took it over to a trough of water and dunked it, steam exploding out. Wiping the sweat from her brow she reached in and pulled the piece out she gave it a once over with Appraisal. Damascus Steel Short Sword - D.

"Alright! We're done here." She said, walking over and giving Michael a clap on the shoulder. She held it up so he could see their handiwork. "Just needs sharpened and polished now. Oh, and a short soak in some acid to really bring out the bloom. After that a handle fitted on and it'll be ready for action."

Michael
Michael was quick to follow directions. Accompanying Tannia to her work station, he took off his coat revealing a thin, lightly colored undershirt. He was ready to work up a sweat. Hanging the coat on a random hook he found, he immediately sped around the station to grab the tools he needed. Shoveling coal, working the billows, and at Tannia's discretion, keep the metal in places for her to bang it.

Wiping his brow and trying not to get blackness smeared across his face, he worked to cool off while admiring the sword he helped make.

"That looks awesome,"

Michael said, admiringly, as he worked air into his shirt that clung to his lean frame. Despite his quickness, he did show himself capable by having strength enough to perform the labors of a blacksmith's apprentice. Trying to be helpful still, he offered,

"The Blacksmith showed me how to sharpen blades earlier. Depending on what comes next, I could handle that part."

Despite his eagerness, the likely hours it took to forge the blade was a tiring process, not to mention the heat which would further zap ones energy and focus. Michael looked like he was more ready for a break than another task.

Rossle watched the two work, the orc standing across the room, both watching what was unraveling before them. Rossle did not look worried crossing his arms, he was calm and confident in Tannia's abilities. Some areas Rossle nodded in approval, in others he shook his head in disapproval. In the small majority, the dwarf didn't react or say anything. But it was obvious that Rossle was liking the teamwork, he may have to take in two apprentices since they worked together so well. But as a blacksmithing, you had to work alone some times... Rossle would see what he could do. But Tannia had to beat this orc first.

" Not bad, lass. Not bad. " Rossle came over to inspect her work, his eyes moved up, down and around the blade she had crafted. " You have done well, still got a long way to go but this is a impressive blade. Needs to be polished, sharpened and decorated and it'll be a fine blade. " The dwarf nodded as he looked up at Tannia. " Impressive job. " the dwarf looked over at Michael who looked worst for wear.

" Kid. Take a break, you look like you're gonna fall over. Get some water. " Rossle looked back to Tannia. " Go ahead and finish yer work while your rival now works his weapon. And we'll see what the end results are. " then he turned his head to look to the orc. " Your turn. Show me what ye can do. " The orc chuckled and moved to the forge staring at Tannia. " Let me show you how its done, woman. A impressive blade but brittle compared to what I create. "
ales-bohm-orc-veteran-da-by-alesbohm-d6qs22u.jpg
As Tannia left the forge, the orc moved to the forge, tossing the large ore into the coals, after a couple minutes, the orc pulled out the orichalcum slab onto the anvil, taking his hammer began to slam and shape the metal. Sparks flew off with each slam, using a different method of smithing. The orc placed the metal into water for a second then placed it back onto the anvil, slamming it again and again. Shaping the metal into a wicked looking weapon. Eventually, after what seemed like a half hour, the orc finished and chuckled almost evilly. Holding the weapon up, it wasn't shaped like a regular sword, it was more like a large cleaver, jagged and strong looking.

Rossle came over to look over the weapon, he nodded with a smirk. " Not bad, a real orc weapon. Large, sturdy, jagged. Looks intimidating. Sharpen it, place a handle on it, polish it. " The dwarf looked to both Tannia and the orc. " I will see how these weapons do, make sure your weapons are ready to be tested. " Rossle snapped his fingers and Bulky came running from outside, covered in mud and soot. " Ayye! You big bear of a ass! Get outside and clean yourself! Rolling by the smelter again you big dope! " Rossle yelled as Bulky barked back being defiant as he hopped up and down. The two argued for what seemed like a minute going back and forth before Rossle threatened to skin the bear/dog when he ran to the back without another bark.

Rossle shook his head and looked back to the three. " Well? Hurry it up. It's almost lunch. " Rossle walked to a door then opened it, revealing his home inside before he walked on in and closed the door. The orc chuckled looking to Tannia, " You ready to admit defeat, woman? Your blade is skinny like you, it probably couldn't cut through a horse's neck. " The orc bellowed and taunted with a hardy laugh as he moved around the workshop to prepare his blade.

Smith.jpg
Tannia Duellona

Strength - F
Precision - C
Intelligence - F
Vitality - F
Speed - F

"You did good kid, but he's right. You need a break." Tannia reaffirmed what Rossle was saying, putting a hand on Michael's shoulder. "Leave the rest to me."

She carried the blade across the smithy, past the orc as he started forging his own piece, and insulting hers at the same time. Brittle? That was something Damascus was not known to be. It was tougher than normal steel, resistant to shattering, and capable of being honed to a sharp, resilient edge. True it didn't look any different than normal steel at the moment, but once polished it's true beauty would shine. She gave the orc a smug smirk. "I'd pay more attention to your work than mine if I were you. Orichalcum isn't known to be forgiving."

She took it to the grinding wheel and set to working out the burrs and honing the edge. It only took her a few minutes to turn the black metal to shining steel. She then moved over to the whetstone to sharpen it, rocking the blade back and forth over the stone. Once done with that she looked around the shop for some acid. Finding a small bottle she added a little bit of water and carefully coated each side of the sword before letting it sit.

While she waited for the etching solution to do its job Tannia examined the handles they were to use. She looked over them, picking some up and turning them over. Finally she grabbed three and carried them over to Michael. "Kid. See how these feel in your hand and pick one."

Once he had picked a handle she carried it back to the short sword, just as the orc was finishing forging his own. She frowned a little as she picked up a cloth and wiped the acid from her blade. That had been too quick. She listened as Rossle commented on it and her frown had shifted into a light smile. He had given her blade a critique but not his. To most this would have seemed like a negative point, but from someone like the dwarf it was anything but. It meant that he cared enough about her work to look for the flaws. And that said a lot.

Rossle then left them alone and the orc once more saw fit to taunt her, but Tannia only scoffed. "How typically Orc of you." She taunted back, picking up a simple pair of quillion and pommel. "Going for the horse and not its rider."

She hot peened the pieces on and applied the handle. She then took a seat by Michael and pulled out a bottle of stone paste and began a final polish. She took her time as the orc prepared his weapon, gently rubbing her blade with a soft finger stone, bringing out the wave like patterns in the metal caused by the repeated folding. Once the orc was finished she gave the sword a final wipe, then held it out handle first to Michael. "What do you think?" She asked, offering it to him.

efbec01330486e6829f88b15c8245d89e53a385c3c2292954b21ecf1b739ea69.jpg

Michael
Michael took the dwarf up on his idea and nodded to Tannia who agreed. Fetching some water and sitting in the corner of the smithy, he caught his breath and tried getting some of the fresh air from outside. Watching the smith's work, it seemed like a game of stamina and precision more than brute strength. It made him ponder his stats, which he actively looked over while he waited. Looked like he was gaining some experience. He would have to allot that later.

At Tannia's sudden introduction of handles, Michael checked them over and tried each one in his hand. He had a preference, but he decided he would be as thorough as everyone else was for the time being. Appraisal didn't shed any additional insights for him beyond what he already knew just by feeling the hilts. One was more comfortable and seemed more ideal than the others. He preferred the lighter handle that was just large enough to fit his grip. He didn't like any that had preformed grooves for fingers to grasp. While it may improve grip for those with the right hand, he didn't like the rigid feeling to it.

After a while that it took the smiths to finish, Michael was able to properly hold the finished product for the first time. It felt light and balanced. He believed it to be ideal from what little time he spent swinging around some practice swords at the guild. This was definitely better than the training swords they provided. Despite the shorter reach, he appreciated how easy it was to handle.

"It feels great. It's pretty cool to think I helped make this. You put some cool designs in the metal too. I appreciate that."

Michael commented as he daydreamed a bit with the sword in a 'man's romance'. He could imagine himself holding the sword and running around slaying minions of evil by the dozens. Or so it went in his mind.

The orc laughed and bellowed at Tannia when mentioned orichalcum was a very fickle and unforgiving metal. " Do not worry about what i am crafting, woman. Worry about my next meal and how wide you have to spread your legs for me after this. " The orc laughed as he moved to now apply a handle onto his weapon, finding a axe handle he began to apply it, hammering the blade down the shaft of the darkened handle. " A true orc's weapon. " he mumbled.

After a little bit, he moved to where the smelter was, using the mud and soot to darken the weapon, flipping it and rubbing in the mess where it looked like Bulky was rolling in. A good idea, the orc was thinking. Returning back he washed the axe off to reveal he had stained it dark, it looked like a wicked weapon now. He used the leather station to apply a custom handle for the holder to hold. Braiding the axe across the handle towards the middle where he stopped and cut off the leather. Making sure it was tight on the handle to not fall out or have the axe fly off with a swing.

fb9c5d79f41578b52c018df6342d491a.jpg

Finally finishing the weapon, the orc was very sure of himself that his weapon was superior to Tannia's. Giving a chuckle he looked to Tannia's weapon, " A impressive blade. I did not realize you were capable of creating such a deadly looking weapon. " The orc commented but he quieted down when the door opened up again and Rossle came back out, he stretched a little and sighed. " Alright ye bastards. Looks like ye've finished. " the dwarf rubbed his hands together as he confronted the two.

" We'll test out ye weapons now. This isn't about who's weapon is bigger. Stronger. Faster. Slower. This is about if you've crafted a weapon someone would want, a tool that is capable of ending a man's life, a beast's life. If the tool you've crafted is worthy for someone to use. Quality. " Rossle placed his hand out, behind his eyepatch a blue light emitted, just behind his shoulder tentacles creeped out from almost no where. Then both weapons that Tannia and her orc competitor created, flew from the two and towards Rossle, surrounded by a faint blue light. Floating before him. His eye stared at each weapon, looking to the Damascus steel blade Tannia crafted to the Orichalcum axe that was stained black made by the orc.

For a moment he smiled before he tried to hide it with a frown. " Very impressive. You two have skill. But your weapons have flaws. Tannia, your weapon is sharp, sturdy, beauitful. But. Damascus steel rusts very easily, its a hard weapon to maintain causing its durability to weaken in most cases. " Rossle pointed out. " This isn't necessarily a bad thing. For someone who wields Damascus. It shows they take great care of their equipment and that their blade is similar to their own child. They should be seen as a capable fighter and a even scarier opponent. " Rossle explained before he turned to the axe that floated beside Tannia's.

Rossle smirked. " Your orichalcum axe. " He observed for a moment before he took Tannia's Damascus steel sword into his hand. " Is weak. " He then quickly slashed the axe with a quick slash with a little power. The axe shattered into pieces across the ground. Rossle sighed as he held the steel sword in his hand, looking it up and down nodding. " Light. Quick. Sharp. Deadly combination. " The orc's eyes were wide and mouth agape. He didn't have any words as Rossle let Tannia's sword go and it floated back to her, sheathing itself before flying into her hand. Rossle lifted his hand in the direction the axe laid and it quickly assembled itself and floated to Rossle who held it in his hand. " You used orichalcum wrong. You thought you had beaten it by crafting it the WAY you wanted to, orichalcum is a fickle and unforgiving metal. " Rossle pointed out looking to Tannia then to Michael.

The dwarf then tossed the axe on the ground in front of the orc where it shattered once more, not even capable of holding together with a toss on the ground. " Get the fock out of my shop. " Rossle demanded as he looked to his new apprentice, Tannia, with a smile.

The orc looked angry, he wanted to blow up but he knew when he had been beaten, he clenched his fists ready to say something when he saw Bulky, the large hound/bear come from outside to Rossle's side, a fight he would not be able to win. His eyes turned to Tannia, he knew the consequences of his bet. The orc slowly turned to Tannia and got down on his knees, he stared at about eye level with her. He gritted his teeth as he growled, hating what was about to be said next. " I'm sorry. " he growled. " You've bested me. " he then looked to the door and got on his hands next and crawled to the door, pushing it open and crawling out on his fours. When he exited he got back to his feet and slammed the door behind him. " FUCK! " he yelled as he stormed off.

Rossle smirked. " Nice job, Lass. " He placed a hand out towards Tannia having her step forward. " Welcome, apprentice. " he had a smile on his face.

Mentions: Ian Temero Ian Temero Novama Novama

Smith.jpg
Tannia Duellona

Strength - C
Precision - C
Intelligence - C
Vitality - C
Speed - F

As Michael held the blade Tannia had to chuckle at what she was pretty sure was going through his head. Probably fantasies of being a hero. She could appreciate it though. A good blade could make one feel invincible, especially when it was designed just for you. Looking down at her hands she wrapped her fingers around an imaginary handle and sighed. She missed the weight of Titan King.

The Orc finished his ax and Rossle came out ready to judge their weapons. He explained what he was going to be judging them on and Tannia nodded. It only made sense, quality was what any work should be judged on. The tools floated over to the dwarf and she cocked a brow. She was no stranger to magic but even she found the tentacles a bit odd.

Rossle began criticizing her work and Tannia again nodded her head along. Everything he said about it was right. A damascus blade took a lot of work from the wielder to maintain. It was something she hadn't considered when she made it, having been more focused on the immediate quality of the steel. She glanced at Michael for a moment before returning her attention to the smith. It was something she'd have to remember next time.

It was the orc's turn. Tannia held her breath as Rossle drew out the judgement, obviously enjoying the suspense he was creating. She was then surprised as the dwarf shattered the ax with her sword. It broke? She had not been expecting that. For it to be that fragile he had to have heated it ridiculously high. She scoffed. And he had called her work brittle.

She watched the orc's expression, the anger on his face, his clenched fists. Subtly she shifted her feet apart, bracing for what he might try next. But it seemed he was good on his word as he knelt down and apologized to her. She stared straight faced as he crawled his way out of the shop and it only when he slammed the door shut and yelled that she smirked, loosening tensed up muscles. She was almost disappointed that he didn't try to fight back. After all his boasting she would have loved to have punched him in the face. But this was a satisfactory ending too.

Rossle held out his hand and Tannia took it with a strong grip. "Hope you have a lot to teach me, Master." She told the dwarf, returning the smile.

Michael
Michael nodded, a small smile showing he was pleased with the outcome. He stood up from his rest and brushed his clothes off. Taking up his coat again, he donned it. He was ready to go. He approached Tannia when he thought he wouldn't be interrupting her exchange with the dwarf.

"Congratulations. You made a cool weapon and you beat out everyone else. I'm glad you won. So...you think you can hook me up with a cool weapon since I did help out?"

Michael suggested, referring to their prior agreement. He wore the face of someone that knew a pay day was close at hand.

Smith.jpg
Tannia Duellona

Strength - C
Precision - C
Intelligence - C
Vitality - C
Speed - F

Tannia turned her attention to Michael. "You know, it's funny you should mention that." She said, letting go of the dwarf's hand and walking over to him. She looked him up and down before giving him a serious look.

"A sword is not simply a tool." She told him. "Some believe the sword to have a soul, one that lives and breathes like you and I. Personally I don't buy it. However I do believe that a good blade a companion that you entrust your life to. One that will travel through heaven and hell with you. And just like any companion you need to have a connection, a bond to hold you together." She held up the short sword. "This was made for you, and in helping make it you have put a piece of yourself into it, literally forging a bond. Treat her well and will find her loyal ally. Abuse her and she will abandon you."

"Are you ready for that responsibility?" She asked, holding the sword out to him.

The dwarf chuckled as the tentacles that came from behind him retreated behind him that looked like they came from no where seemingly disappeared. He took Tannia's hand and shook it as his eyepatch slow emitting the glowing blue light. " I have much to show you and you have much to learn, Lass. " Rossle commented as he released the woman's hand looking to Bulky who was sitting down and panting happily, he looked satisfied with himself as his eyes looked to the dwarf who petted his head happily looking to Michael. " Oi you bastard, i just gave you a dagger didn't I? " He grumbled as he threw a hand up towards Michael's direction. " A dagger will be your best friend if you can't get your sword out, faster and better for sticking people. That is what it was made for you ungrateful little bastard. " Rossle looked a little irritated. But not as irritated as what was about to happen.

As Tannia and Michael looked Rossle's way, the door behind them slammed open, the orc had come back now in leather armour with a metal helmet on wielding a large orcish axe. With Rossle's quick thinking, blue light emitted from behind his eyepatch and the tentacles came back from behind Rossle. He threw a hand up and almost looked like he pushed something. From Tannia's hand, the sword felt like it was pushed out of her hand, the handle of the sword slammed into the orcs face, negating his sneak attack as he stumbled backwards to shake off the stun. " Now lass. Test your weapon out. " Rossle commented as the sword flew back to her hands, Michael would be grabbed by his sleeve by the great dog/bear Bulky, easily pulling him away to get away from the fighting. The orc shook his head and looked to Tannia. " Curse you woman! You've embarrassed me and for that. I will skullfuck your head when you're head. " The orc roared as he swung his axe sideways.

Mentions: Ian Temero Ian Temero Novama Novama

Smith.jpg
Tannia Duellona

Strength - C
Precision - C
Intelligence - C
Vitality - C
Speed - F

The door slammed open and Tannia sighed. She could guess what was happening. The orc was back. Probably to argue his loss or hopefully to brawl. She was not however expecting him to be armed, so when the sword flew from her hand and she followed it to the large man with the ax, she was reasonably surprised. "The hell?" She exclaimed as the sword retuned to her hand. Rossle then told her to test out her weapon and Tannia gave him a dumbfounded look. "Are you kidding?" She asked. In no way was a short sword a good match up against a great-ax. But he wasn't kidding and she looked back to find the orc swinging at her. He was actually trying to kill her! Over a competition! That just pissed her off.

Luckily for Tannia she had two advantages. One, she was smaller than the orc, meaning she had more room to work with. And two, she knew how to fight. Ducking down under the swing she slashed at his leg, cutting through leather and flesh alike, forcing him down to one knee. Leather armor was not a good choice for someone with a heavy weapon. She then stood, tossing the sword to her offhand, and caught the handle of the ax as the orc started to swing back, stopping it before it could build momentum. She then stabbed him in the left arm, causing him to let go with one hand.

"All this because I embarrassed you?" Tannia growled, planting a foot on the orc's chest and kicking him away, tearing both the sword out of his arm and the ax from his hand. "I gave you the easy way out, having you crawl out like a dog." She weighed the ax in her hand. This suited her more than the short sword. "I should have ripped your eyes out for daring to undress me with them. I should have cut out your tongue for the bile you spit." She set the sword aside and took the ax in both hands. "But no. I decided to be civil. To give you mercy." She stalked towards the orc, kicking him again as he tried to get up. "That's not a mistake this queen will make twice." She said coldly, before raising the great-ax above her head and swinging down on his right shoulder.

Rossle watched the scene unravel with both arms crossed, if Tannia wanted to be in this business, she would have to be strong and take her keep. She would have to fight if necessary and this was necessary. The blue light still emitted from his eyepatch and the tentacles were still coming from behind him, surrounding around his arms and shoulders. They almost seemed alive. He didn't answer her exclamation, she would know he was serious.

The orc looked surprised as Tannia ducked up his first swing, feeling sharp pain in his leg as he falter and fell to a knee but then he felt like he had the advantage and swung backwards to try and cleave her stupid head off, only for the woman to stop his attack before it happened. He didn't even start swinging for her to already stop his next swing. Letting one arm go from the axe, he was about to ready a punch but felt sharp pain there to, letting out a growl of pain, the small sword stabbed through his arm, the blade stabbed through muscle and bone alike. She was talented he realized. Better than her.

The orc felt her leg on his chest and kicked him down. The sword tore through his arm, making it unusable now as the axe was torn from his other hand. The orc fell on the ground with a cry of surprise, he listened to her yell about how he treated and how ridiculous he was being about this. Who was she to talk down at him! She was just a woman! But... He felt fear, he was scared of this woman, she bested him in everything, craftsmanship and now combat.

He tried backing away but felt himself get kicked down again, letting a grunt of pain. He looked up to Tannia, fear in his eyes, this woman bested him and now he would face his fate. He saw her raise even his axe like it was nothing, she truly was better than him. He was a vile being for saying all those things and here she was, standing over him. Slowly his eyes closed as he realized what was to come next.

*Shlunk*

The orc opened his eyes as he felt the axe slam through his shoulder and deep into his chest, his hand grabbed the handle and tried to push it out as blood gushed from his major wound, the axe was imbedded in his lung now and he would soon die. He could barely breath, he spat blood out as he stared at Tannia, his eyes full of hatred and fear. He coughed and hacked realizing his fate. He slumped back onto the ground letting the handle go as he fell onto his back, she was a queen, his queen. She had bested him. His vision faded into blackness as they closed forever. His breathing slowed to a stop.

Rossle watched the orc slump over and die. The tentacles receeded back into nothingness. " What a way to go out. With a gurlge and not a boom like he wanted. " Rossle spat in his direction. " Pathetic. " he walked on over as he patted Tannia on her back. " Atta, Lass, you have to protect yourself and your keep. I hope you realize that. " Rossle explained, he knew. He had to experience this too. Blacksmithing was no joke either, it was life and death, not just for those that pay for their weapons and armour to be made, but also for blacksmiths themselves. " You did good, lass. Good job. " Rossle looked to Bulky who came running over, biting the orc's leg and began to drag the body to the back. " Ah well. Self defense and no one liked the bastard. You're protected under me so don't worry about anyone coming for you. " As Bulky dragged the body into the back, Rossle watched the trail of blood follow after the body. " Ah... Clean up this mess, the mops in me house. " Rossle headed on out back with Bulky to get rid of the body.

Mentions: Ian Temero Ian Temero

Users who are viewing this thread

Back