What's new
  • This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy [Isekai Hell] Help wanted! So it shall be a competition!

Sub Genres
  1. Action
  2. Adventure
  3. Anime
  4. Magical
  5. Meta
Other
Here

Skyhunter

Entity of Change
Ryken

The Capital city of Ryken! A glorious and pretty wealthy city, with a long history that many would try to forget or not mention. Within the large walls of this wonderous city was many for one to discover, guards combed the entire city, keeping the peace. The small alleyways holding many secrets that one could purchase through shady contacts... A academy where many well versed in magic could attend if they are willing to learn the magical arts! Around the city, flyers were littered on walls, on doors, hell even on a few folk.

--- HELP WANTED! ---
In search of a new apprentice that knows what they are doing! Needs to know what a hammer is at the least. (You'd be surprised) Come to the end of the Market Square and you'll see the large building called Bastard's Bastard. And bring your own gloves, what am I your mother? This will be a competition too you cur! So bring your best hammer! -Rossle Deva​

26604ec8519f6b7b1f9baef84b537d1d.jpg

Elsewhere, on the other side of the city, on the end of Market Square, there was a blacksmithing workshop. Many gathered in front of the closed and locked doors of the Bastard's Bastard, a well renown smithy, wanting the opportunity to be the apprentice of Rossle Deva. A dwarf that was missing a eye. Many chattered talking about how they'll be the next great Rossle Deva or even Gjardo Helva. Renown smithys in their own right. There had to have been twenty or so people crowding the doors of the closed shop. It looked like it would be stiff competition.

The doors opened and out walked a large dog almost the size of a man, looking close to a bear. All the people crowding the doors backed up terrified to see such a beast thinking it was going to attack them. But that couldn't be farther from the truth. The dog barked, almost liked it roared as it wagged its tail. Pretty proud of itself for scaring off the people crowding the door.

0680e565e4a7d1e1e58ea79d6c7c32f0.png

Then out walked a smaller built man, having to be at most four feet. " Good boy, Bulky! Get these bastards from crowding the doorway. " a stocky dwarf announced, patting his companion on his side as this Bulky looked proud to be praised by his master. The dwarf looked to the many competitors, his eyepatch being revealed to all those who wanted to become this wizard of the forge's apprentice. He wore thick clothes underneath his blackened apron, having a large hammer on his trousers that looked like it was heavy, but with his muscular structure he could wield it as a fist.

d6e4994a1bfc62f7745f5c983de25446.jpg

This had to have been Rossle Deva, well renown blacksmith. Wizard of the Forge. One-Eyed Wonder. He stared at each applicant with his one eye, looking each up and down. Muttering to himself as someone walked up to him to try and introduce themselves to Rossle. He pointed at them as he snapped out of his thinking and self talking. " Ye are out! Ye lack patience now get off me forge! " Rossle pointed at the shocked attendant, they didn't know what to say and tried to explain themselves but then Bulky stepped in and began to growl deeply, the six foot dog could scare anyone as the disqualified man jumped and walked away, staring at the dwarf with distaste. Not happy with the results.

The dwarf went back to his antics and stared at each of the qualifiers again. " Alrighty then! Ye know who I am already, Rossle Deva! And this es Bulky! " The six foot dog/bear hybrid barked his hello to the attendees. " E'll be aving a competition to see oo's worthy of being my new apprentice! Last bastard decided to leave thinking he knew everything! E couldn't even find is own cock of it slapped him in is face! " Already this introduction should tell you who Rossle was.

" Any questions? " The dwarf asked with his massive hands on his hips. Bulky sat down behind his master staring at each of the competitors.

Novama

Michael
Michael stood in the crowd near Tannia. He showed surprise and amusement at the Blacksmith's antics, but listened. Michael was pretty similar to the average human male in the gathering, but he did stand out due to his odd clothes. Although he had acquired some more common clothes for the world, the light, sporty material of the clothes he had on when he transmigrated were more comfortable for a day of outside activity. His running shoes were looking worse for wear, however. Muddy, worn, and loosening in some areas, the shoes would likely need replaced with something from this world, but most options lacked support or flexibility in Michael's opinion.

"He sure picked a weird moment to pause,"

Michael muttered under his breath to Tannia, impatiently waiting for the blacksmith to get to the terms of the competition. While he waited, he unconsciously shifted his weight between his feet and occasionally rocked back and forth on the heels of his feet. At least the day was pleasant enough to be idoling outside like they were. People unconsciously gave them some space in the crowd. No one wanted to stand too close to the weirdly dressed fidgeting man.

Skyhunter Skyhunter Ian Temero Ian Temero

Ian Temero

Knight of Swords
Smith.jpg
Tannia Duellona

Strength - F
Precision - C
Intelligence - F
Vitality - F
Speed - F

"Alright, everything checks out. Welcome to Ryken." The guard at the gate said and Tannia took her hand off the black orb and nodded, hoisting her bag over her shoulder. She read the flyer in her hand for the umpteenth time. Bastard's Bastard? Seriously, who named their shop that? Why would they think people would shop there? She sighed and tucked the paper away. This Rossle Deva had better be worth it.

She turned back to look at the boy that had been following her for the last few days as he was tested. Michael was his name. The kid had begged her to take him on as an assistant until she had finally agreed. Had to give it to him, he had perseverance. She still wasn't quite sure how he would be of help, but he was rather quick on his feet. Maybe as an errand boy? Well everyone had their uses and time would tell what his was.

Tannia waited for the kid to get through customs before moving on, saying little as they walked through the city streets. After a while they came to the market square and she let out a low whistle at the crowd that had gathered. Not the biggest group she had ever seen, but she certainly had not been expecting this many for a blacksmith. "Maybe this guy's actually as good as they say." She muttered just loud enough for Michael to hear.

She found a spot near the back and sat on the edge of the central fountain, pulling out some jerky and chewing on it as she listened to the chatter. Lots of bragging. So many people already assuming they had already won. So many people about to have their fragile prides shattered. If talking was all it took to be a smith then anyone could be a master. But smithing took skill and that had to be proven through action.

Then the door opened and a missive dog came out, scaring the crowd back a bit. Tannia just raised a brow. She'd seen bigger beasts, but never a dog quite that size. It was almost adorable. Then the one eyed dwarf stepped out and immediately disqualified someone just for trying to introduce themselves. He was blunt and abrasive in his own introduction, and a little crass, but that was about what she had been expecting from read the ad.

He paused for questions and Tannia just sat back and waited to see what would happen. She understood how this was most likely going to work. Michael on the other hand seemed not to based on his comment. "He's testing us, kid." She explained quietly. "Anyone who says anything now will be deemed too impatient. Besides with this man's personality the less questions you ask in general the better. Less talk, more action."

Skyhunter

Entity of Change

The one-eyed dwarf looked over each of the competitors, Bulky did the same, following Rossle's eye with his two large orange eyes. " Oo as a hammer? If ye do, don't raise your and. " Then a couple of others that were looking to join raised their hands, one was a elf, another was a large human and lastly a halfling. Rossle pointed at all three of them. " Ye, you and ye. " He stated then pointed away from his forge and home. " Get out of ere. Did you fools not read the damned waver? " Rossle looked very annoyed with these three who looked disappointed and began to slink off. " A pair of bastards and a fat bastard. " Rossle growled as they finally left. He shook his head with his hands on his hips.

Bulky woofed at Rossle when he began to mutter and get annoyed. The dwarf turned around " Ah. Right. " He huffed and turned to the remaining competition and observed the rest. " Alright ye bastards. Into the forge. I wanna see what ye can do. " Rossle moved down the door to a smaller building connected to his home and shop. His bear dog followed after him as Rossle placed his hands on the heavy wooden doors and pushed them open.

Inside was revealed many weapons and armor that had been recently crafted, it looked much bigger on the inside. Armor that looked expensive were set on wooden dummies to show people what they'd look like. A lot of it looked heavy, others looked lighter than others. Same with the weapons, swords, spears, clubs, daggers, axes, and more. There was quite the variety, each looked expensive and unique in their own right. It showed his crafting prowess and dedication.

" Welcome to my forge, this is where the weapons and armor that protect lives and take them are born at. " Rossle announced, his forge was a huge one, sitting in the middle of the room, a anvil and cauldron of water was nearby. Tools of Rossle laid on a stool that was in between each station. The dwarf looked to his companion who huffed and ran off in the back of the shop, disappearing behind a shelf with weapons laid on it. Rossle turned to the competitors and chuckled lightly, " I wanna see where each of your knowledge is at. " The dwarf started. " So, I'll see what you know. " Snapping his fingers, Bulky came out, walking with some sort of staff in his mouth, having his head twisted so it was sticking in the air and wouldn't knock anything over. Getting to Rossle, the dwarf took the weapon with a open hand. " You. Step forward. " He pointed to a large orc who had seen some fights, having scars on his face.

Tossing the staff to the orc who caught it, the orc held it in both hands. " What is that? " Rossle asked. The orc observed the weapon for a few moments first and looked to Rossle. " A bo-staff. Made from hard wood called Black Modle. Hard to carve. Handle made of soft silk for comfort and control. " Rossle nodded, " Aye, orc. Correct. " the dwarf handed the staff to his bear dog companion who took it back to his armoury. One by one, people either go the weapon or armor correct and moved on, or got it incorrect and was kicked out. Getting to Tannia, he observed the lass for a moment since she was one of the only women here, snapping his fingers Bulky came back with a weapon. Rossle handed it to Tannia. " Tell what that is, what it is used for and what its made of lass. " Rossle crossed his arms and waited for a answer.

HRKatar.jpg

Just as the weapon was handed to Tannia, Bulky the large beast came back with a armour that was being dragged on the ground. Rossle stared at the armour and picked it from Bulky's mouth. Tossing it to the strangely dressed Michael. " Oi, sharply dressed bastard. What is that? Tell me everything about it. Since Bulky chose a easy selection this time... " The bear/dog huffed like he was talking back. " Don't give me that attitude, I'll cut your fur off and make you look ridiculous. " Bulky said nothing back and huffed looking away. " Aye you back talking bastard, now human, tell me what that is. "

battle-ready-children-s-medieval-habergeon-chainmail-armor_3__88869.1564504893.jpg

Mentions: Novama Novama Ian Temero Ian Temero

Novama

Michael
Michael stood anxiously in the smithy. The dog alone made him anxious, reminding him of some of the beasts he encountered in the wilderness. Being in an enclosed space with one didn't help. The blacksmith didn't make Michael feel anymore at ease, seeming to be the sort to sick his hound on someone just as quickly.

Just strong enough to catch the armor tossed to him, Michael took a step back as the metal clinks crashed into him. He shifted the suit of links around to get an idea of what he was looking at. Invisible to the natives of the world, Michael's skill Appraisal activated. His eyes shimmered and between Michael and the chainmail in his hands, a series of transparent overlays appeared detailing various aspects of the Chainmail.

Not sure what the blacksmith wanted specifically, Michael started to parrot off what he saw from his Appraisal skill of the item. Primarily, what it was called, overall quality, and typical uses. Michael was quick to give the armor back, not wishing to hold onto the cumbersome item longer than necessary. It was then Michael began to feel like there was a misunderstanding. He wasn't there to participate as much as to support Tannia in exchange for some crafting favors later on.

Ian Temero

Knight of Swords
Smith.jpg
Tannia Duellona

Strength - F
Precision - C
Intelligence - F
Vitality - F
Speed - F

"It's a katar." She answered before she had even taken the weapon. She didn't even need to use her appraisal skill for this one. Once it was in her hands she rapped on it a few times. "Full low carbon black oxidized steel." She took it by the handle and jabbed at the air. "Also called a punching dagger. Meant for just that."

"Or it would be if it weren't for this." She added, tapping the decoration. "The pierced chiseling reduces the durability. If the gold damascened didn't make it obvious this is a decorative weapon. A show piece, not meant for practical combat. Probably meant for a noble."

She looked over to where Michael was appraising his own item, a chainmail shirt, with surprising detail. It seemed the master smith had mistaken him for a competitor and Tannia just smirked, not bothering to correct the mistake. It would be interesting to see how far the kid could go.

Skyhunter

Entity of Change
The dwarf listened to each answer that was given, some he nodded and looked impressed, others he didn't look impressed and just huffed. As Michael gave his answer going into detail, Rossle nodded as he took the chainmail back. " Yes, strangely dressed lad. Good. You look smarter than you look. " Rossle commented as his companion Bulky took the chainmail and walked off with it to the back.

Being given back the Katar, Rossle looked very impressed and satisfied with the answer from Tannia. " Yes, Lass, correct. " He said in a loud and happy tone. " I wouldn't make a weapon for noble believe me, my talents would be wasted on someone as snobby and cowardly as them. " Rossle scoffed as he held the weapon. " But this was a gift to someone I once called friend, a treaty if you would. Damn bastard, I'll stab is eyes out with this. " Rossle held the weapon tightly with a growl. He sighed and gave the weapon to Bulky who came back just to take the weapon and run it back.

Once finished with seeing everyone's abilities on identifying a weapon or armor piece, Rossle pointed to Tannia and the Orc. " You two step forward. " He then pointed to outback. " Out back there are two smelters, I want to see if you can identify what ores are gathered around the smelter then smelt one of ye choosing. When you are finished with thee product, bring unto me and I'll grade your work. " Rossle assigned the two. " Follow Bulky now. " The large bear/dog huffed as he just got back to Rossle's side, barking at the two, he turned around and headed back through the shop.

When Tannia and the Orc got to the back there was two smelters that looked like they had been just planted there, already heating up. In front of the smelters were many different types of ores, from Iron to corundum to malachite. Bulky barked at the two then ran off back to his owner, the orc snorted and looked at Tannia, " You. Gurl. " The orc started. " You're not getting the better of me. " He stated as he chuckled. " A woman doesn't belong on the forge, certainly not one like you. You belong on your knees or in the kitchen and bed. " The orc laughed as he walked to one smelter looking through ores, finding one to smelt.

---

Rossle began assigning everyone else assignments and then got to Michael.

" You, lad, step forward. You don't look like ye belong ere. Especially with your getup. " Rossle pointed out. " But you seem capable. So, I'll give ye a assignment. Go to that grindstone, " The dwarf pointed to the wall where one laid next to a assortments of sword and other weapons. " and sharpen this ere dagger for me. " Rossle pulled a dagger and pointed at Michael like he was going to stab him only to flip it and catch it by its blade and handed it to Michael. A generic steel dagger but the handle was well crafted and wrapped with a dark red cloth that wrapped around it in a artistic style.

Ian Temero

Knight of Swords
Smith.jpg
Tannia Duellona

Strength - F
Precision - C
Intelligence - F
Vitality - F
Speed - F

As Tannia followed Bulky she reached out and snagged the set of billow pipes from Rossle's forge. She already knew what it was she was going to smelt, it was just a question of whether or not she was given the materials. Stepping outside she watched the dog walk back to its owner before the Orc caught here attention. His sexist comments made her blood boil, and she glared at him. But that was all. Women can't do this. Women can't do that. She'd heard it so many times in her life, and yet she had proven every single one of them wrong. This time was going to be no different.

She stepped up to her smelter and waved her hand in the air, windows popping up over all the ores, displaying what they were and what grade the material was. That was something she had discovered very quickly upon coming into this world, that everything had a grade, and that the higher the grade the better the quality. There was F rank iron, D rank corundum, E rank malachite. She paused when she spotted some C rank ores and sighed. It was a shame, if she were more skilled she could do something with those, but as it was she'd just be wasting good material.

Finally she found what she was looking for. Some D grade iron. She then began sifting through the coal, looking for any that were labeled as coke. Once she had what she needed she walked back to her smelter and paused. "Hey asshole!" She called over to the Orc, holding up her slab of ore. "How about we make a bet? If you win I'll put down my hammer and be the good woman you think I should be. But if I win? You'll get down on your knees, apologies to me, and crawl out of this shop like a dog." She smirked at him. "That is, unless you're scared a girl could beat you?"

Novama

Michael
Michael took the knife handed to him, once again having the situation thrust upon him before he could properly explain. Caught up in the moment and looked to where Rossle pointed to put together what he was told to do and act upon it. He found he had an easy time taking orders. Perhaps it was in relation to years being in sports where you just had to single-mindedly do as the coach instructed and you were likely to win during competition.

Sitting down at the stool for the grindstone, he had no idea what he was doing. Appraisal would easily tell him what an item was, but it did not walk him through step by step how to use every single item, especially ones of skilled trades. He had to acquire the skills first in many cases. He found that out first hand with his Parkour Ability. He stared at the worn grindstone for a moment before trying things.

He made his best effort while chatting with Rossle. His foot easily found the peddle that got the wheel spinning. It was spinning in the wrong direction away from Michael, but he knew no different. The trough the wheel spun in was filled with a lubricant and cleaner for the wheel, so all Michael had to do was apply the blade to the stone at an angle the blade could be sharpened with. Unfortunately, Michael did not know the proper angle to hold the blade nor did he know the right direction to face the blade during sharpening. A few dainty touches of the blade to stone suggested Michael's anxiousness with this new activity. It didn't help the wheel was spinning way faster than it needed to be and there was more than one time where the wheel threatened to rip the blade from his hands and send it flying.

"It was actually my intention to help Tannia, the woman out there, with her run in the competition. I fully admit I'm not as capable at this as they are,"

Michael confessed to Rossle in hopes he would be excused from the dangerous task he was currently performing with difficulty. Hopefully before he got the knife stuck in himself or someone else. Or before he wore the blade down to a stub. Some of the trough water began to splash and splatter from the speed of the wheel.

Skyhunter

Entity of Change
Meanwhile by the smelters...
Smelter.jpg

The large orc was looking through each ore, trying to find one he could use. Grumbling under his breath as he picked a large slab of ore up that looked like orichalcum. Chuckling the orc stood up as he heard the small woman call to him, turning to face the woman to see what she had to say. He looked almost impressed with Tannia, a bet? What kind of Orc would he be if he backed down from such a easy bet. And get a free woman out of it? Not a bad bet. The orc laughed a hardy one, still holding the ore as he walked over to her and loomed over her. " You have balls, woman. " He complimented. " But your balls may be a bit too big for you. I accept the conditions of this bet. When I win. I'll show you where your place is at, woman. " His dumb looking eyes scanned over her body then back up at her face. " Very cute. I may keep you as my wife for a long time. "

He stood back up and began laughing as he headed back to his smelter. " Show me what you can do woman! " This orc was confidant, he was stupid and perverted but confidant. To many that'd be intimidating but to others it was a sign of over confidence and they were biting off more than they could chew. The orc began the melting process, placing the ore inside the smelter, adding heat with coal and using a bellow blower to push oxygen inside to make the inside hot enough to melt the mineral out of the ore. Through a long process, eventually he was able to extract a large piece of orichalcum that looked decent, he had a large smile on his face thinking he had won.

---

Rossle watched Michael try his best to sharpen the dagger on the grindstone. The dwarf was patient, he knew Michael wasn't trying to compete. His clothes showed that to Rossle, but the dwarf was curious as to if this kid had potential. Rossle almost giggled when Michael almost had the dagger fly out of his hands when tbe grindstone was too fast. But kept his laughing to a minimum. But when Michael explained himself to the dwarf, he walked on up to the kid and took him by his shoulder and pulled him off the grindstone and onto his feet, for someone short he was pretty strong. Taking the dagger from his hands, the dwarf examined the blade. It was dulled down in a few spots, overall it was a terrible job. Not bad for a newbie but still bad. " Aye kid. I can tell you aren't really trying to do this. Ye clothes tell me so. " the dwarf sat down on the grindstone.

Pumping the mechanism a few times with his foot to get it going, he would press the peddle every now and then to make sure it maintained speed. Then at a angle began to gently place the dagger against the stone, easily scraping metal shavings off the blade to give it a sharp edge. " Not a lot of ye are showing promise but there are a select few that do. Ye friend is one of them. She has her head on straight. Hopefully she can knock that big ole orc out of here. That bastard's a bastard and has been trying to get into me good graces for a while now. " Rossle explained. " Ye need to find your place, it is not here. Obviously. " The dwarf finished sharpening the dagger pretty quickly and got off the grindstone. " Ere. " He handed the steel dagger to the boy. " Thats how you sharpen a weapon. And keep it, you may need it, lad. " Rossle waved his hand. " Now go see if ye friend is doing alright. That orc is good at this line of work. " Rossle blew Michael off as other contesters came back with what Rossle wanted them to do. Others did good and others did bad, those that did bad were kicked out of his workshop.

Ian Temero

Knight of Swords
Smith.jpg
Tannia Duellona

Strength - F
Precision - C
Intelligence - F
Vitality - F
Speed - F

The orc looked her over and Tannia gritted her teeth. If it had been the old her she'd have already force fed this man his own ball for daring to look at her in such a way. But this was the new her, the Tannia that would prove her place. Still wasn't going to keep her from cursing him under her breath as she walked back to her own smelter.

She tossed in the iron ore and began shoveling in coal. Much like the Orc she used the bellows to push in oxygen melting the minerals around the ore. Unlike the Orc however, once she extracted the metal she didn't stop. She placed the iron chunks in a large ladle, added some powdered coke, and slipped it back into the furnace. This time she used the bellows she brought from inside, pumping both to make the fire as hot as possible. Thanks to her appraisal skill she could actually keep track of the temperature and the quality of the material. Three thousand degrees, that's where she needed it to be. Hot enough to melt the iron, to force the iron to release its oxygen. This process took a while, long enough that the orc was finished before she was. After the window had changed from iron to crude iron she pulled the ladle out, added pieces of glass as a flux, and placed it back into the furnace. Then she let it sit and purify, reducing the carbon content.

Once more the metal changed from crude iron to steel and Tannia pulled it out, examining her work. It wasn't done yet, but all the smelting was done. Next she would need the forge. But first she would have to turn in her work to Rossle. If he was as good as folks claimed he'd be able to tell that this wasn't the finished product.

Novama

Michael
Michael took the knife gifted to him by Rossle. A nice participation trophy if there was such a thing in that world. Would be a useful tool and he had learned the rough idea of how to sharpen a blade properly. Should hopefully come in handy when he eventually acquired some proper weapons.

"Thanks,"

He said to Rossle after the dwarf had already moved on. He was already cleared to leave but, depending on how the next phase of the competition went, Michael chose to stick around in the smithy as the smelted ores were being introduced. With appraisal, he could pretty much follow along with Rossle as he appraised them himself, manually. Even with appraisal, Michael could really tell the difference between the quality of the ingots. Despite the varying grades, they all looked like lumps of metal to him. Likely there was more subtle differences Micahael wasn't able to pick up on or perhaps some things could only be determined when they were actually put to the test in a forge.

Michael joined Tannia when she finally came back into the smithy.

"You are looking a little warm, perhaps I could help with some of the manual labor or gopher work for the next phase of the competition,"

He whispered to her, assuming whatever she made would likely get her into the next phase, believing in Rossle's prejudgment from earlier.

Skyhunter

Entity of Change

As Rossle tore some of the other competitors a new hole and had them leave, Bulky was barking the dwarf who turned to his large companion. " Aye, what do you want you large hound. " Rossle had his hands on his hips. The bear/dog twisted his head over to where Tannia and the orc were at before barking again, the dwarf moved his hand through his beard and nodded " Aye... I see... Thank you for letting me know you big block. " The dwarf turned to whatever competitors were left and shouted. " Oi. Everyone one who isn't the orc or the lady, get the fock out of ere! " He called but if Michael was to leave, Bulky would move in front of him to tell him to stay.

Hearing sounds of disappointment and anger from the ones that had to leave, Rossle cared not. They were useless to him and the dwarf knew it'd come down to these two, the woman vs the orc. Aye. Should be a great battle of blacksmithing. Rossle walked on out into the back seeing the two having their ores melted down and were now ready to be crafted. He stared at the two ores, looking unimpressed. " Hmm... " He then pointed at Tannia. " You're up first. Take it to the forge. It's all ready to go. " Rossle moved out of the way and pointed on inside.

Looking to the orc, Rossle chuckled. " You look nervous Orc, does this woman have you scared? " The dwarf asked, the orc scoffed. " Scared? Of a woman? Never. She's only lucky to have gotten this far. And that's all there is to it. " The orc laughed as he mocked Tannia. Rossle didn't look to impressed with the orc but his one eye was on Tannia, this was her chance to prove the orc wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread