• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Graded [Fallen Blossom Shrine] Falling to Rise, Part 2 (aka No Rest for the Weary)

Scene 1: It was a long night.
  • It was a long night quelling the patrons of the Five Thousand Peony Blossoms, the Masanori Geisha House. This was a time of revelry and it was a sore point in the Masanori House's honor that such an event had transpired. While it was true that Yukan was the commander of a group of hunters, it was also true that a potential crisis loomed for the Masanori House. Thus within thirty minutes one of the elders had showed up. The rich browns and tan coloring so common of the tanuki had turned silver and white with age.

Masanori Nyctereutes was the true owner of the Five Thousand Peony Blossoms, and his arrival was a humiliation for Masanori Tashigoto, who was the scion within Yukan's hunting group. Tashigoto for his part explained the situation and surprisingly Gyoubu didn't heckle. Yukan, Whiteclaw, and the logistics unit were interviewed in turn as well.

The most unusual story that came out was when Sawazuki the Tanuki Geisha was interviewed. She screamed and cried for help! She claimed that her family was being held hostage and many of them would die if she didn't return immediately! A succubus had bewitched her family and tortured them before her eyes. Using unusual alchemy, this seductress had weakened and broken the bodies of the men in her family, only to heal them again! After several demonstrations all of her family had become compliant. It was horrible! She sobbed and cried, snot even ran down her beautiful tanuki snout!

Both Yukan eager to see a resolution of the mystery of the Silver Vomiting Geisha Sawazuki and Masanori Tashigoto was eager to fix his standing within his house. Although several of Tashigoto's siblings were jockeying to take over, ultimately Tashigoto remained for now as he was a named unit leader of the hunting party and he had recruited most of the logistics core.

Borris and Crymaria were introduced to another human, although he looked more like a man-bear and could be mistaken as Borris' younger brother. Hudson Choi ([IMG alt="Shawazama"]https://www.rpnation.com/data/avatars/s/99/99641.jpg?1673953935[/IMG] Shawazama ) had been hired by Masanori as the other heavy lifter. His capacity to lift and haul hundred upon hundred of pounds was only exceeded by how cheap it was to hire. Granted by the time Masanori had gone to recruit the pickings had been slim.

Indicus tried to wander off and go to sleep. It was easy for him to find what he was looking for given his Survival skills. He moved like a passing shadow, so quiet that no one seemed to notice he'd withdrawn. He quietly walked outside and found a nice large tree near a courtyard. The large tree's boughs extended up thirty feet and spread over an equally large pond. As he tried to settle into the crook between two thick branches and the trunk, he noticed Maria Kemple just as she noticed him! While he was skilled at moving without being heard, she was equally skilled at hearing what couldn't be heard. And thus, it appears the mermaid had noticed Indicus.

What was worse, Whiteclaw fluttered in as the pair were looking at each other. Turning his head 180-degrees, Whiteclaw looked up at Indicus. "Ah, you found my fifth, Maria Kemple is our water scout. The swamps are wet this time of year and she excels in such environments, plus she has excellent hearing." After a pause, he flapped his wings and jumped up to join Indicus upon the large boughs of the massive tree. "Great look out point. Not much out of the ordinary." Whiteclaw scanned into the distance, but shrugged, "Even the guard towards on the outlying hills are manned during the festival. It's unlikely a massive force is behind the ambush upon our party, but Yukan has called for everyone to stay together and hunt down this lead before we leave. We need to make sure we won't have someone hunting us while we are out hunting the Hill Toad." Nodding to Indicus, Whiteclaw leapt down from the tree and motioned to Maria. "Where you able to track any of the Gerbie's?" It was a casual question, but Maria could see a glint of gluttonous hunger in Whiteclaw's predatory eyes that was usually only reserved for enemies.

Alas and oddly enough, Maria had neither heard nor seen any of the retreating Gerbies.

In this way, the majority of those under Yukan's command in the nearby area assembled for what would hopefully not be a wild wolf spider chase. Individually, wolf spiders could be quite canny and crazy.

"S-she said that the potions w-would be," Sawazuki blew her noise, large tears falling from her eyes. "In a la-large t-t-t-treeeeeeee," And she started crying all over again. "B..bb...yyyy." And she blubbered all over again. "P-please ssssaaaavvvvveeeee my, my family!"

Thus the group had three choices before them, hunt down any lingering trace of the Gerbie, rush to Sawazuki's house, or try to find this tree first. Of course there were no doubt an infinite number of options beyond these three, such as deciding none of this was worth losing sleep over. While discussions were good and great and any good commander should listen to the advice, especially of the logistical core, ultimately it was up to Yukan how to proceed.

Scene 2: Swazuki's Cabin
  • Yukan’s team consisted of two units at this point. The scout unit was lead by Whiteclaw with two Owlkin archers, two Tengu shadow assassins, and Maria the water scout. The other unit was the logistics unit lead by Gyoubu despite the fact that Masanori had spent considerable assets recruiting everyone. This was because Masanori had leadership over a squad of spear units and Gyoubu held too much status not to command something. Given everything going on, Masanori recalled his unit to serve as his body guard. Having heard what transpired and not to be left out, Tadakatsu the most competent spearman, showed up with the remaining two spear units. The massive and indebted Daisuke came leading the unit most loyal to Yukan.

In this way, the entire hunting party all 30 strong marched on Swazuki’s cabin, following and perhaps practicing for what’s to come. With so many assembled and marching through the streets, the hunting party was given a wide berth but attracted a fair amount of attention. Various Tanuki and even some festival attendees trailed in their wake.

5b9e5b45240000320053f370.jpeg

Swazuki’s cabin was tucked away on the outskirts of town. It was a suburban neighborhood for rice workers and day laborers. The cabins were spread out in this stretch to allow for managing the rice paddies. Despite her beauty and grace, her family appeared to be wandering vagabonds that settled to tend one of the Masanori family’s rice paddies only a few decades ago. They were poor laborers from the looks of the cabin.

Whiteclaw deployed his unit to scout well before the arrival of the other units. Tadakatsu deployed his unit to one side and Masanori sent his spears to the other side. Behind over twenty onlookers gawked from further back. Daisuke and the rest of Yukan’s spears kept the gawkers from getting too close.

Within was a terrible sight. In the middle of the cabin was a large hole, where the bamboo floor appeared to have burst apart and gone a foot deep. Dirt and bamboo chunks flew everywhere. Laid out around the floor were several male Tanuki of varying ages. It looked like three generations were present. All of the males had broken bones and blood leaking from compound fractures. Thier eyes were rolled up so only the whites of thier eyes were visible. Some of them no longer seemed to breath while others made shallow wet coughing sounds.

Seven Tanuki females of varying ages were either trying to care for the males, crying and weeping, or just staring despondently at the door. The eldest female threw herself at the first person through the door, begging for aid.

Gyoubu was still outside, flicking bits of dirt off of her robes. She seemed more interested in the state of the rice paddies and so had wandered over towards where Masanori and Whiteclaw were in a hushed discussion.

Scene 2: Swazuki’s Cabin Part 2
  • Tapping into Leadership F Yukan continued, "Approach and interact with caution, we should do our utmost to secure the area, watch out for anything suspicious for all we know enemies are already in our midsts, I do not want any sudden surprises like what transpired with the gerbies earlier if we can avoid it." He spoke out clearly. so that those in his proximity could hear them, as he kept his distance from the group. Fortunately for Yukan it didn't seem anyone was charging in.

Indicus walked through the cabins door and had to force himself from gagging from the smell alone.

Within was a terrible sight. In the middle of the cabin was a large hole, where the bamboo floor appeared to have burst apart and gone a foot deep. Dirt and bamboo chunks flew everywhere. Laid out around the floor were several male Tanuki of varying ages. It looked like three generations were present. All of the males had broken bones and blood leaking from compound fractures. Thier eyes were rolled up so only the whites of thier eyes were visible. Some of them no longer seemed to breath while others made shallow wet coughing sounds.

Seven Tanuki females of varying ages were either trying to care for the males, crying and weeping, or just staring despondently at the door. The eldest female threw herself at the first person through the door, begging for aid.

Gyoubu was still outside, flicking bits of dirt off of her robes. She seemed more interested in the state of the rice paddies and so had wandered over towards where Masanori and Whiteclaw were in a hushed discussion.

Indicus walked through the cabins door and had to force himself from gagging from the smell alone. He did not get much time to gawk before the eldest female threw himself at him, her pleading almost impossible to decipher. Indicus put a hand on the woman's shoulder and spoke calmly and quietly, "Slow down ma'am tell me what happened here from the beginning so my friends and I can see how we can best help you."

The old matriarch begged. Her joints creaked and popped. A line of tear streaked pink gunk ran down from both her eyes, sign that the geriatric tanuki had been crying for hours at least. “Please help them! She…” The old lady blinked and sniffled. “She broke all my boys!” She sniffled and cried all over Indicus. Her wet facial fur rubbing and nuzzling Indicus feet as she continued to beg and plead. She spoke about how a witch had come and lured the menfolk of the house to drink silver liquid and then their bodies started to break. The witch tortured them and would heal them with a kiss.

Her story had some voracity to it.

[ooc=“Indicus Survival Perception”] Indicus perceived some oddities in the room. The hole doesn’t appear to have been made with strength, rather there’s a warren of small tunnels under the house! Also something about the hole and the injuries to the men itches at a racial memory or perhaps at an early memory that is just out of reach…Finally, your danger sense is quiet.[/ooc]

"Could I get a status on the injured and if any of them are still viable?" He called out around him, unfortunately, he did not have skills to heal them, and he was unsure if they were all dead, or in some magical state or something. As he listened to what the woman was going to say to Indicus for further action.

Gyoubu perked up from her conversation with Whiteclaw and Masanori. The trio walked back from behind the house towards Yukon.

"Got any idea who did them dirty?" Small talk wasn't the most appropriate thing given their situation, but Choi was someone who didn't know any better.

Masanori split off towards Crymaria and Hudson. Borris perked up now that the burden on his back was eased. Masanori nodded to Borris then looked Hudson up and down. “There’s a small harvest of rice in a crockpot back there. Less than it’s supposed to be.” He frowned and looked to Crymaria then back to Hudson. “Why don’t you gather it up and bring it with.”

Meanwhile, Whiteclaw sniffed, gave a salute to Yukon and brought his group into the cabin. Whiteclaw and his people spread out. They inspected the injured but didn’t touch them. They looked around but became really interested in the pit. Through some light questioning, it came to light that the “witch” had stomped once in anger and created the hole.

Gyoubu watched from near Yukon within eyesight of the interior of the cabin. With a gesture and a haiku, “Cherry blossoms bloom. The air is warm and sweet. Are you still viable?” The air grew sweet and warm as she whispered out her spell, cherry blossoms floated on the wind, swirling around inside the cabin. White-pink petals landed about the different tanuki males. Bones realigned and bruises faded, but the males still appeared weak and sickly.

End of Scene 1: The first fallen petals of the cherry blossom.
  • "Even in times of chaos we must maintain order! Our next objective is securing this area. I know that many of you are here for a hunt, but this has become a matter of Kuridan security. We cannot allow this threat to remain free. The fire and destruction in it's wake has proven that much. There are many people here who are vulnerable. Tadakatsu, as one of our most skilled spearmen I want you and your men to make sure that the people here remain safe and that the area is secured, you are best suited for this defensive and if need be offensive task should the threat show up. And whatever you think regardless, Sawazuki is no where to be seen and is still a primary suspect." Even if Yukan had been fighting with him just earlier he still knew which tasks were best to delegate he thought.

For a moment as Yukan first began to speak there was some grumbling. Many of the Yari spear-minions were eager to pit their spears against the Hill Toads starting to hunker down for hibernation. However, Tadakatsu raised his hand towards the spear minions. "You heard your commander, form up and corral the rice farmers. Keep them safe while our commander sorts out the politics."

Tadakatsu glanced at Masanori and smirked. "May the petals fall in your wake."

Tadakatsu barked out orders and the rice farmers both the Tanuki family from the hut and those others around were corralled, watched, and protected from further harm. It took some prodding but the units moved with far more coordination than the day before and after a few examples were made to demonstrate what Tadakatsu was looking for, no more rice farmer tried to leave.

Yukan then turned to the beautiful one once more, "Shrine Maiden Gyoubu and logistics core, assist and operate as you see fit."

Gyoubu looked Yukan up and down, "Mhmm, whether it's to march in the muck or plow a field, I'll be your willing partner." Her playful grin lingered for a long second before she gestured. "Crymaria, Borris, Choi, let's go." She looked around, frowning for a moment, "Masanori, we are short a member." She tapped her snout and wrinkled her noise, "Did you go all cheap on me?"

"What!" Masanori snorted, "I'm sure there was a fifth." He looked around...

"Whiteclaw and scout company come with me, we need to go find Indicus who ran off in the woods towards a potential primary suspect threat and you are all the most suitable for this task."

"Of course," Whiteclaw ducked his head, his avian black eyes roving. He gestured to the others. "Ixtal and Acys, shadow stealth until you're called." The two shadow assassins bowed and slipped into the nearby shadows of the copse of trees. "You two, tracking." Whiteclaws eyes roved around towards Maria his Mermaid Scout. "What did you hear?"

Maria approached, clutching the hilt of her azure sword and bowed. "A great deal!" She looked towards Yukan and then back towards Whiteclaw. "There's a man who roused the crowd with the most beautiful of words."

1677213315893.png
    Without drawing too much attention, he'd give her a short bow and offered her a silent “Thank you.” whilst the others were focussed on the recently extinguished fire. His tail was a little more honest, as it was swaying around vividly when he bowed towards her.

Yu Vu Tu eyed Ceylan and quietly inclined her head. The squiggling tentacles at the base of her head writhed curiously at Ceylan. "It was be delicious to taste pieces of you..." She paused, looking around at the madness, she turned, tilting her head, "You words is so sweet." She glided closer for a moment, before withdrawing.

"Is all of this understood?"

"Sir, yes sir!" All the spear minions said. The scouts and logistic units joined with a mixture of "yes."

Everyone continued doing what they were doing. The spears guarded the rice farmers. The scouts scouted, and the logistics units wandered around Yukan and Gyoubu.

Then Ceylan left to check up on those that made it out of the building. “I'll be alright.” He spoke, as he approached. Using a [Soothing Aura E] to calm down the worst victims and help them deal with the smoke in their lungs. One particular victim seemed more wounded than others (the one that'd been tortured) and although Ceylan knew not where his wounds came from, he was sure to include that Tanuki in the targets for his [Soothing Aura], hoping that every little bit he could offer would aid these people.

1677214015226.pngWhile Gyoubu had done an excellent job healing and improving the smell, her powers weren't of the soul.

Ceylan approached the rice farmers being guarded by the spear minions and Tadakatsu lifted his spear. "Halt!"

However, Ceylan's presence and words were kind and soulful, plus his soul helped, Ceylan was eventually allowed to approach and let his soothing aura wash over the rice farming Tanuki. Like cool menthol, they were soothed and rejuvenated in deep ways. All the rice famers looked in adoration at Ceylan's unspoken kindness. The tortured looks and catatonic state many were in eased and they came back to themselves. Many cried and knelt before him.

Still, that left the odd feeling. He looked around, then spotted someone commanding the others. A particular Tanuki that seemed military. With no better alternative, Ceylan decided to approach him. “Excuse me, sir.” He'd waited for Yukan to have finished giving orders before speaking up, but when he did, he'd sound like he needed the latter's attention urgently.

“Forgive me if I'm speaking out of turn, for I am highly unfamiliar with this situation. However, I can sense something strange about the magic in this place. It concerns me deeply, so whilst I do not know your purpose here, I would beg for your assistance to aid me in investigating where it leads.” He was truly hoping he wasn't pushing some boundaries by approaching an official like this, but at the same time, with some Empathy F / Persuasion F, he'd make sure his concern was carried over as genuinely yet strongly as possible.

Gyoubu looked him up and down. "Sure why don't you tag along. With those soulful eyes I'm sure you can't possibly be anything but a boon to us. Our commander here is on the move, so why don't you talk while we walk?"

Ceylan noticed something odd as they group moved towards the copse of trees...

The group as the scouts lead them into the copse, but it seemed to follow the crooked, snaggled black corrupted leyline. It's thin and constricted but not shriveled. It pulses in slow squeezes, moving quantum of essence along it's course.

The group moved on...

Upon observing the one that started the fire earlier Indicus had two options continue to follow the shadowy figure or attempt to capture them. He was sure this person was connected to the Witch but unsure of if he would return to her or if he captured the assailant, that some geas would not instantly kill them. Even so Indicus believed that following this figure would be the better choice and so Indicus waited keeping himself hidden so he could follow the figure and paid close attention to the figure in case there was something he could use to identify the unknown figure incase they got away. (Stealth F + Undetected sound F + Perception F + Precision D + Survival F)

Indicus slipped through the leaves, moving like a ghostly shadow amongst the dappled light.

The figure wearing the toad fanny pack looked around, before their legs coiled. Their hands landed on the ground. Their butt raised high. The air distorted around them. Then they dashed away. They moved incredibly fast covering 240 feet in a few seconds! In a blink, they were through the woods and down the road moving at a blur. It was hard to follow after them but it was easy to follow their trail. The speed at which they moved left deep gouges in the earth and curiously enough there was several other people on the road leading not into town but towards the rolling hills. Indicus saw Sawazuki the Tanuki Geisha also running along that road. She was running towards a large, gnarled oak tree. It looked twisted and broken, like a curled tortured soul that was reaching out in pain.

"No!" Sawazuki shrieked as the blurred, toad fanny pack person raced towards the oak tree. The person whirled and jammed something into Sawazuki's stomach, causing the girl to keel over before rushing off again towards the hills.

Scene 2: The fallen and twisted body of oak.
  • After initially being halted, Ceylan managed to go through after his magic did its work. That said, them kneeling was a bit much. “Please, get up. It's nothing much, I'm merely trying to help out to the extend the gods allow me to aid you.” He couldn't possibly take more credit than that, as he already felt like this was way more gratitude than he was worthy of. Especially as he was holding back, which made him feel even more bad about getting such sincere gratitude.

The Tanuki rice farmers rose. The elderly needed the help of the younger folk, but each one heeded Ceylan's words.

Tadakatsu shook his head, "I never seen a peasant bow and rise so quick, you've got quite the touch." He frowned watching Ceylan for a long moment before waving the man off. "Off you go now, see after the commander and don't incite my charges further."

As Ceylan left, the rice farmers continued to give praise and whisper in awe at the man who soothed their aching souls with his very presence. "His fur is so glossy," one of the farmers said. Another whispered back, "And a fine tail, he got too!" A third elbowed the second, "Mind yourself around his holiness." The first shot back, "Aye, but it done wag toot sweet. Tis a fine thing to see." A chorus of "Amen!" followed from many of the others.

When she heard Yukan give the order for the supply core and the shrine maiden to do as they pleased she cocked and eyebrow. "Well Comrade Borris I suppose we should follow the shrine maiden for the time being, things are surely strange here." Crymaria stated as she followed the shrine maiden for right now. As the group joined around Cylan and the others as he inquired about the dragon man to which she figured could only be their other companion.

Yukan, the scouts, and the logistics core moved into the copse of trees. The scouts lead them through the trees, pointing the odd track or broken branch. They also pointed out that there was no sign of a struggle and two people looked to have left the small glade together. As they moved, Yukan discussed with others.

Right now we have a suspect, who's gone missing and a dragon man who's run off. I feel obligated that this threat needs to be stopped for the security of our region and betterment of the civilians of Kuridan, it would be unacceptable to leave them so vulnerable, so any additional aid you would like to provide I would greatly appreciate."

Yukan said looking to Ceylan as he spoke while moving at a fairly brisk pace, while not wanting to run out of stamina when they presumably caught up.

In turn, he listened to Yukan and Crymaria's explanations carefully. That said, there were some things he didn't quite understand. “Do you mean to say the dragon man and suspect aren't the same?” That was one confusing part, as Ceylan didn't see how that dragon man would otherwise fit into the story. “That illusion magic you spoke of, could you describe it a bit further?”

"Oh you must mean Comrade Indicus," Crymaria responded as she and Borris had now joined the others that were still around. Though she couldn't help with the description of the magic due to her paying far more attention to the crowd. She still wasn't sure what entirely was going on at this point so just reverted to petting the bear.

Gyoubu spoke up, turning to look Ceylan up and down, pausing on his honest tail. "An alchemist brew perhaps. The Indicus, the dragon man, felt a kinship of sorts, so perhaps it's dragon magic. Thus suspect but not necessarily the suspect. The combination was expelled orally. Upon contact, it dulled the senses and caused those affected to think the room they were in was on fire while the true threat was an organic consuming acid whose volumetric area was impressive." Gyoubu paused, "Of course the illusion only covered five of six walls, causing those affected to flee out back, which is an odd oversight. You'd think if the goal was to melt the bodies that the whole room would be on illusory fire." She shrugged. "Holes in the illusion, the witch's plan, or our understanding."

Ceylan nodded to the man who told him to tag along and talk while on the move. “Very well sir, thank you.” He wasn't sure what the man meant with 'soulful eyes' but he figured it was something good. Then again, he was sensing something... “This... could this be feeding something?” He asked himself aloud, wondering if the pulsating feeling he got from the leyline was the movement of mana or energy towards something nefarious. “Or maybe spreading something...” He mumbled, as he tried to figure out if his [Divine Senses E] would be enough to pick up on the direction of the flow of energy.

Gyoubu perked up, watching Ceylan's gleaming eyes. "Now is not the time to be cryptic. Speak clearly."

White feather paused, peering into the distance further off where many things were happening. With a mighty leap, the owl kin and the other avians leapt high into the air, bows drawn. "Halt in the name of Commander Yukan." They made quite the sight, soaring thirty feet into the air and soaring horizontally for a hundred more.

Once more Indicus swore as he gave up his chase to check on the woman and using his experience (Survival F) Indicus looked to check what was wrong with the woman. As he did so he noticed the solitary oak tree down the road. But before he could worry about creepy oak trees he had to help this woman.

"You do know we should stop meeting like this." Indicus joked as he inspected Sawazuki's wound as he did he found the object and went to grab it

Indicus saw the dagger plunged into the women's guts. It was a cruel, rusted, serrated thing six inches long. It ripped and tore skin, guts, and organs going in. Sawazuki smiled faintly at Indicus joke. She opened her mouth to say more, but instead coughed up blood all over him. Her supple body sagged into Indicus, the strength rapidly leaving her. Gut wounds were a horrible way to die, sending toxins into the bloodstream which can poison the rest of the body leading to organ failure and death. Unfortunately for the victim, this can mean hours or days of agonizing pain.

She looked into Indicus eyes tears streaming down her eyes. She howled in pain. Her body shuddered. Something was devouring her faster than a normal gut wound. Her bowls voided and vomit poured from her mouth. The pressure of her abdomen pushed pieces of her intestines out of her body. He could literally see the life being drained from her. The blood loss accelerated faster than normal. Her back arched, her toes curling and fingers balling into fists. Her eyes rolled back in her head.

So, as he stood along the path, thinking about the troubles of a third son in line, he overheard words and shouting... And... "Oh shit was she just stabbed what the fu-" wait the stabber was getting away! Shit what should he do? What should he do!? He didn't know the whole deal but his body seemed to act straight out of instinct, as his brain followed suit. Signals and orders, unspoken words brought his hand from his hip to his side, his hands leapt to action and within a flash, attempted to strike the incoming foe. His body stiffened and reacted, a draw of his blade and a flash of mithril as he turned the blade at the last moment, to turn bladed death into a flat of a blade to the forehead of the incoming foe.

The fanny pack ninja blurred at incredible speeds but Ko Matatsu's sword was just as fast. Mercy's Edge struck with the force of a charging Rhinoceros. The only thing the ninja had to defend itself with was the incredible speed, but Ko's accurate penetrating maneuver cut through such trivial defenses and turned them against his foe! He found the perfect arc of his blade, the flat of the blade translating the kinetic force and spreading it through the body. The ninja's forearm exploded in flechette-like shrapnel, the fragments exiting the arm and entering the torso. The majority of the kinetic energy continued shattering all the ninja's right ribs, causing more bone fragments to fly through the internal organs. The energy continued, lifting the body up and hurling it nearly twenty feet through the air and into the gnarled, twisted body of the ancient looking oak tree.

The ninja's body jerked. Only the ninja's eyes were visible and these were wide before rolling up into its head. Something like white cilia sprouted from the trunk of the ancient oak. The short hairlike structures vibrated, crawling and cradling the body the ninja, preventing the body from falling to the ground. Like microscopic needles, the cilia penetrated the skin and turned from white to a dark crimson. Meanwhile the body seemed to start to sink into the trunk! It was deceptively slow like pressing a hand into thick jello, but the cilia kept emerging in greater number, drawing and pulling. At first it was only tens and then hundreds and quickly it became thousands of those tiny little cilia until the body looked more like a white, crimson growth on the tree being absorbed inch by inch in a slow, rhythmic pulse.

OOC: Assume everything was visible by everyone. Indicus is 60' away and Ko 120, the tree is 160'. Yukan et al. are at the top of a hill with a small cart road leading down towards the ancient tree. Near the tree the road splits left and right. Right towards town. Left towards the hill and the distant guard towers on them.

Last edited:
    Scene 3: The Swamp of Forgotten Nightmares
  • This part of the Republic was on the border of the great central lake and the intersection of two might rivers. Flooding was quite common; however, as a result the rice paddies are fertile and their yield is high. It was not always this way. Before the great magi and demigods cast by the central lake, this land was a swamp, created from the deaths of billions of plants and animals decaying beneath it's swollen, distended grey green waters. Then the whole region had been terraformed and the swamp forgotten.

1680185200234.png

Beyond the portal was madness and nightmare. A distant swamp, all encompassing but just out of reach, surrounded the area. The ground was soggy, seeping pale, pink fluid with the strong cent of infection, rot, and urine. It was acrid and burned the inside of nostrils like snorting salt. The burning ran up the most sensitive passages of the nose and into the sinuses like a lingering hangover, dull pain and sharpness at all the wrong times. There was no light in this place, just the absence of darkness. The sky was a patina over colors of iron with hints of brass. The air was thick and soupy, a sense of pressure trying to hold a person in place so they might sink into the fetid waters and muck beneath.

Time and space were at odds with each other in this place. A single step always seemed to carry a person away from any other person, if that required them moving five feet or half an inch. Thus as people poured through the portal they spread out like a diffuse cloud of humanity, one that this place was eager to divide and conquer.

The only light, and that light was fading, was Aurichal. While he didn't have the Sol Invictus to charge his sword, the celestial blade gleamed a dull, scintillating gold. Like a viper, Aurichal dove into the zombies, pivoted and leaped out again. Jump, slash, jump was a steady rhythm in the distance. He was distant. Now that everyone had crossed over and WANTED to advance on the zombies and the trees, they seemed further away. But everything was further away.

OOC
    1) Moving in nightmares is always a challenge, good luck figuring out how to get what you want when the goal of a nightmare is to do the opposite. I'm excited to see your creativity!
    2) For ease of thought, the zombies can be considered 20 units of 5 minions.

• We will treat each minion squad as a single “unit”.
    • All Units (5x) have a base effectiveness of 4 and HP of 2 per minion.
    • Effectiveness on their actions either:
      • 3x attack, defend, or move actions.
      • +10, +8, +6 or
      • +8, +8, +8
    • Thus, each unit has 10HP, when their HP drops to 5 or lower, they lose 1 effectiveness per HP lost. (HP5 = -1, HP1 = -4).
    • Units are weak to AOE, which functions like Hot Shot with double damage when effectiveness is calculated. OR you could choose for AOE to operate like Penetration reducing effectiveness per grade. Choice must be made in advance. I won't keep track of individual minion damage, just the damage of units.
    3) Yukan has 1 unit of Scouts, which can shoot at range and leap into the air. They are lead by Whiteclaw who is a hero and thus when embedded in the unit, the unit takes damage before Whiteclaw does.
    4) Riku brought all of his units: 2 spear (melee attack), 1 scout (range attack), 1 mounted spear (Riku leads, they can charge AOE once per round). Players are free to join any unit as a hero and lead it to make my life easier and you less likely to die. Helping Riku prevail and keeping his units alive will result in rewards as you might expect.
    5) There are 3 healers currently: Riku's Shrine Maiden, Gyoubu, and Ceylan.
    6) What remains of the tree is on the other side of the 20 units of zombies. The tree appears to be "hollowed" out. See picture below. It's deep darkness inside, but it likely leads DEEPER if you want to go down and find out what's down there you'll have to defeat or at least bypass the zombies.
    7) The zombies are moving freely (nightmare isn't messing with them) and all heading towards y'all so if you do nothing expect 1d4 units of zombies to surround you next round.

1680187302626.png

Scene 3: The Swamp of Forgotten Nightmares
  • "As Stated, our primary objective should be to get Ceylan through to the core so that he can purify this great darkness that has blighted this land. Commander Riku, if it is agreeable to you, I believe our best course of action is to use our forces to assume a Gyorin (fish scales) battle formation. ( A more defensive blunted 'arrow head' shape formation traditionally used when forces were outnumbered) We should place two of our healers parallel on the farthest side of the 'arrow head' so that they can recieve protection from the units there and easily provide healing to either side of the formation. Behind the 'arrow head' of our melee units, our ranged units should provide suppressive fire to thin our enemies numbers. "As for me I have no issue staying near the "tip" of the formation. Yukan reaffirming that he had no issues helping to fight on the frontlines and in addition it would let him quickly see if they needed to readjust.

Rizo frowned looking at the zombies rushing towards them and shook his head. "Gyorin could work." He tilted his head from side to side, "With the mounted units as the tip, Hoshi could work straight through the zombies." He turned, peering towards the portal, "But maybe their goal isn't us." He bit his lip, raising his yari. Either my calvary roams the perimeter or we sit at the tip. No offense," Rizo looked Yukan up and down, "I've read your training reports. You'd be a liability in the tip, but your leadership and strategy skills are decent."

He looked to his other riders, "Let's go boys." Rizo spurred his dire boar forward, slicking back his hair with his off hand before lowering his yari like a lance.

There was one thing that Ceylan could attempt to remedy some of the nightmare's effects. “Please stay calm and focus not on where you want to go or what you want to do, but merely on the process of going and doing it! Focus on your orders with as little conscious thought as possible.” He spoke, using [Soothing Aura F] to all those he could reach with it. He wasn't sure how this landscape worked, but it felt like it was somehow tied into their conscious thought, which meant they had to eliminate that as much as possible. He also just hoped to prevent everyone from panicking and instead follow along with Yukan's plans. The only other option was to directly oppose the nightmare with stronger magic, but he'd rather try to go through this without giving up what remained of his cover just yet, still unsure what the reason for having it was meant to be to begin with and therefore still unsure about breaking it further or not.

Ceylan's words held a soothing simplicity, like a mantra it focused and diffused the minds of all around. Units cohered back as they should, forming up into squads near each other. It worked! Nightmare had their own rules, but there was always a certain internal consistency within dreams and nightmares. Many Tanuki gave a little prayer in Ceylan's name and most continued to chant his mantra silently to themselves. It picked up amongst each other and it turned into a chant, stomping their feet on each syllable. "Focus not on where you want to go." Stomp. Stomp. Stomp. "Focus on your orders with as little conscious thought as possible." Stomp. Stomp. Stomp.

"Once we are in formation we should begin our advance as quickly as possible collectively and forge a pathway through their ranks to the core. The sooner we can leave this realm the better." He reaffirmed. Assuming that Riku was agreeable to the formation, Yukan would get into position with his Yari at the ready toward the front of the formation, otherwise he'd be on the ready to give follow up orders if need be to adjust the plan if RIku wasn't cooperative.

The Gyorin took form with Yukan's leadership and Riku's boar riders at the tip. Yari units formed on either side with the scout units and the healers and others in the middle. The blunt arrow made its way forward one chanted syllable at a time. Opposed to the coordinated force was almost three times their number in zombies in loose groups. They moved randomly and incoherently but inevitably forward. The zombies picked up speed, stomping through the swampy water. Wet sloppy sounds overlapped and formed a kind of static, picking up with intensity as Yukan's joint strike force approached.

Indicus wordlessly joined one of two spear units greeting them and letting them know he would be there to act as quick reaction support. As Indicus and the unit he was tagging along with got into formation he felt the oppressive aura from the portal as he moved with the unit Indicus remembered all the times mental tricks were used on him the silver liquid like he carried now, the small creature that Whiteclaw killed, the flashes of inspiration from the very tree they were invading and Indicus used these experiences to center himself and harden his mind (Intelligence E). This along with the canine priest magic as Indicus' unit passed to take their formations helped to alleviate some of the pressure.

Indicus felt less pressure, and those around him did as well. The area around Indicus appeared more solid and coherent. The water wasn't as hostile; the muck beneath was less clingy. A wane light more silver than iron gleamed far above from within the overhead haze. There was a tug like the gravity pull of low tide that made some of the madness recede from the mind and eased the tension to a small degree.

Ahead of her, she saw a cluster of figures. A large group of wretched monsters spilling forth from a huge dead tree, heading toward a group of people. The source of the voice. She picked her pace up yet again, fighting against the very air that surrounded her. This isn't where she needed to be. She would reach them. She drew her sword off her back and pushed on, pushing toward the group.

She ran through the terrible night and gloom, finally with the voice and light of these creatures she found a way out. However, between her and freedom was five zombies who turned as she emerged from the woods and ran at her! Their slathering mouths and broken clawed fingers opening greedily to get any morsel of her that they could! Indeed with their approach the water grew thick like syrup and the muck clung to her boots and legs like desperate children fearful of letting their momma go! [Tangle 1 (1 action, 1hp to free), Accurate 1 (-1 Speed)]

"...She looks out of place." He spotted a white haired woman looking very much more alive than anything else in here. He decided to approach that one, unless of course she was an enemy.. He would cut her down if so, it was no issue.

"I hope your alive and here to help cause if not this is gonna get real awkward quick."

Ko broke ranks, leaving the safety of the strike force to try and save a wayward soul. As the group of five zombies were more focused on her and Ko had severed himself from this place and doubled down upon it, for him the terrain wasn't bothersome. The oppression of the atmosphere, the depressing gloom and murky depths were there but they were not. Much like the lucid dreamer does not suffer from the illusion of the dream, Ko was distant from the situation in a way that could not be put into words. However, it didn't make the three zombies who turned and lunged for him instead any less of a threat! The three zombies lunged at him, punching and scratching with the desperation of a cornered animal!

The main force under Yukan's leadership and with Riku's dire boar riders at the tip, pierce into the on coming horde! The zombies rush and crash into the assembled unit. The mantra and Yukan's leadership holds them together under the initial contact with the enemy. The melee is frenzied and back and forth. Yari and arrows rain out, felling some zombies and damaging others, but still more press on. As the zombies strike the unmovable force, many of them flow AROUND and keep running for the portal! Thus, the army finds itself surrounded on three sides but the overflow of zombies stream onward towards the portal.

OOC:
    1) Ko gets three attacks on him from a criss-cross teamup: Attack 1 @ 6, Attack2 @ 5, Attack3 @ 4. If successful, suffer Continuing F, 1 hp for 1 round.
    2) Paru gets two attacks on her: Attack 1 @ 5, Attack 2 @ 4. If successful, suffer Continuing F, 1 hp for 1 round.
    3) Everyone else finds themselves facing off against 1 unit of zombies who attack 3 times: +10, +8, +6 with Continuing F [1hp additional damage next round] and Linked F [1hp addition this round if they hit] thus 7 units are going against 7 units (more or less)
    4) The remaining 13 units of zombies continue onward towards the portal, which they will reach in 2 rounds.

The end of the beginning
  • In the heart of the Nightmare Swamp, a place where the sun dared not shine, a malevolent loss reigned supreme. The sky overhead was a tumultuous sea of dark, roiling clouds, casting a suffocating gloom over the murky waters. The air hung heavy with the stench of decay, an ever-present reminder of the twisted abominations that lay entombied beneath the stagnant depths.

The twisted, gnarled trees that bordered the swamp stood like ancient, maleficent guardians, their skeletal limbs adorned with drooping tendrils of sickly green moss. Each branch reached out as if to snare an unwary traveler, and every knot and gnarl seemed to contort into the visage of a tormented soul, trapped for eternity within the cursed bark.

From the inky waters of the swamp, the undead sloshed. Their decayed forms slowly went back towards the living, making a sickening, guttural gurgle. Their flesh, rotted and discolored, clung to their skeletal frames, barely held together by sinew and rot. Their once human eyes were now hollow, bottomless pools of hunger and malice, reflecting only the darkness that had consumed them.

These shambling horrors lumbered through the waters, their movements slow but inexorable, drawn to the small army of beastkin who stood resolute in a patch of crystal clear water. The beastkin army stood in a defensive formation, their faces a mixture of fear and determination as they prepared to face the second half of the undead horde.

As the zombies closed in, the beastkin warriors raised their spears, their eyes darting between the grotesque, shambling creatures and the dark, foreboding trees that surrounded them. The air was thick with tension, as though the very swamp itself held its breath, waiting for the inevitable clash of life and death.

The silence was broken by a low growl, a primal warning from one of the beastkin as the first zombie drew near. Aurichal's celestial light flashed once, illuminating the terrifying scene for an instant before the thunderous crash shook the swamp. The battle began, the clash of spears and the tearing of flesh echoing through the oppressive darkness.

In the Nightmare Swamp, where evil held dominion and the line between life and death was blurred, the fates of the brave beastkin and the relentless zombies would be decided in a terrifying dance of violence and despair, as the clouds overhead continued to churn, indifferent to the struggle that unfolded below.

------

Behind the valiant army of beastkin, in the distance, there stood a dying, old tree, a monolithic sentinel that seemed to defy the passage of time. Its gargantuan form loomed over the battlefield, towering above the canopy like a once-mighty king, now reduced to a tragic, decaying remnant of its former glory. Its bark, once as resilient as a sequoia, was now marred by the ravages of time, disease, and the ever-present corruption of the Nightmare Swamp.

The tree's colossal trunk was split down the middle, cleaved by some ancient, unspeakable force, revealing a gaping maw that plunged into the very heart of the swamp. This dark, foreboding hole seemed to exude an aura of malevolence, as if it were the very mouth of the abyss itself, ready to swallow all that dared to venture too close.

Despite the chaos unfolding on the battlefield, the tree remained eerily still, untouched by the winds that howled through the twisted branches of its brethren. The hole seemed to draw in the darkness that permeated the swamp, its inky depths hungry for the light and life that dared to exist within its domain.

From the shadows of the tree's immense cavity, faint whispers and ghostly wails could be heard, carried on the fetid breeze. These were the echoes of the souls who had been lost to the Nightmare Swamp, their torment resonating from the depths of the abyss, a chilling reminder of the fate that awaited those who succumbed to the swamp's insidious grasp.

As the beastkin fought their undead adversaries, they could not help but steal anxious glances at the immense, dying tree and the ominous hole that lay behind them. It was as if the tree stood in silent judgment, a testament to the darkness that enveloped the swamp and a harbinger of the doom that seemed to loom over them all.

On the eve of the second battle, the tree and its gaping hole stood as a sinister symbol, a malevolent presence that could not be ignored. It was a constant reminder of the malefic forces that pervaded the Nightmare Swamp, and the unknown horrors that awaited the brave souls who dared to venture too close to the darkness.

-------

The air hung heavy with a foul, putrid stench, as the sky was shrouded by the dark, ominous clouds looming above the Nightmare Swamp. The twisted, gnarled trees reached out with their jagged branches like the skeletal hands of the damned, eager to ensnare any who dared to venture through the murky waters. Shadows stretched and danced across the swamp, as if the very darkness itself was alive and thirsty for blood.

The stillness was shattered by the guttural groans and chilling whispers of the undead, their waterlogged bodies dragging through the murky depths as they approached the small, valiant army of beastkin that stood ready to defend. The tanuki boar-riding cavalry stamped their hooves impatiently, their riders gripping their spears tightly, eyes flitting back and forth, searching for the enemy. Two units of spearmen formed a solid line of defense, their determined faces betraying no fear. A unit of keen-eyed archers adjusted their bows, arrows nocked and ready to fly. The agile scouts moved quietly through the waters, their senses heightened by the adrenaline coursing through their veins.

The magical healers, their catalysts emanating a faint, reassuring glow, whispered sacred incantations to fortify their comrades. Among the beastkin stood the fierce samurai sword fighters, their katanas glistening with deadly intent, their eyes set in a piercing gaze, as they prepared to unleash their fury upon the encroaching horde.

As the first wave of zombies reached the beastkin's defenses, a cacophony of snarls, shrieks, and the clash of steel against rotting flesh filled the air. The tanuki boar cavalry charged forward, their riders' spears finding their marks with brutal efficiency, felling the undead monstrosities with each deadly thrust. The spearmen held their ground, their weapons impaling the wretched creatures and driving them back into the murky depths, while the archers rained down a lethal shower of arrows, piercing the skulls of the advancing horde.

The samurai sword fighters moved like whirlwinds of steel and death, their katanas slicing through the air with lethal precision, severing limbs and heads with each graceful, deadly arc. The scouts circled the battlefield, striking at the zombies from unexpected angles and disappearing back into the shadows before the enemy could react.

Through the din of battle, the magical healers continued their incantations, their voices ringing clear and true above the cacophony of war. Their healing magic coursed through the beastkin, mending wounds and bolstering the warriors' strength.

For several long, agonizing minutes, the Nightmare Swamp was consumed by the gruesome battle between the living and the dead. The beastkin fought with ferocity and tenacity, their courage unwavering even in the face of the relentless onslaught of the undead. The dark waters of the swamp churned with the gore and detritus of the fallen, a testament to the harrowing struggle that would forever scar their minds.

----------

The relentless tide of the undead showed no sign of ebbing, and the beastkin's defenses began to falter. One by one, the spearmen were overwhelmed, their once-impenetrable line crumbling under the sheer weight of the ravenous horde. Desperation crept into the hearts of the warriors, as they began to wonder if their valiant stand was in vain.

Just as all hope seemed lost, the scouts led by the wise owl kin Whiteclaw and the fiery Indicus swooped in, their eyes burning with determination. Whiteclaw's talons tore through the zombies, his wings stirring up powerful gusts of wind that sent the undead sprawling across the swamp. Indicus unleashed a torrent of fire from his maw, the intense flames engulfing the zombies and reducing them to ashes. Together, they stemmed the tide of undead, buying precious time for their beleaguered comrades.

The healers, their faces etched with exhaustion, struggled to keep pace with the mounting injuries sustained by the warriors. Their once-bright magical auras dimmed, flickering like dying embers as their energy reserves dwindled. Some of the spearmen, their skin pallid and their eyes sunken, teetered on the brink of death, their bodies succumbing to the necrotic infection inflicted by the zombies' tainted claws and teeth.

Despite the overwhelming odds, the remaining beastkin fought on, their hearts galvanized by the timely intervention of Whiteclaw and Indicus. The tanuki boar cavalry charged once more into the fray, their riders' spears thrusting with renewed vigor. The archers' arrows continued to find their marks, thinning the undead ranks with each deadly volley. Ko and Paru, their blades flashing in a symphony of steel, cut down the wretched creatures by the dozens.

The battle raged on, a desperate struggle for survival waged within the shadowed depths of the Nightmare Swamp. With every passing moment, the beastkin's reserves of strength and hope waned, but their indomitable spirit refused to be extinguished. As the fight drew on, they steeled themselves for the final, decisive clash that would determine the fate of their lives and their minds.

----------

As the tide of battle surged and ebbed, an eerie change came over the swamp. Emerging from behind the endless waves of zombies, a brick road materialized, its once vibrant grey hue rapidly yellowing as though it had aged a thousand years in mere moments. This sinister incarnation of the yellow brick road from the Wizard of Oz seemed to twist and contort, evoking a deep sense of foreboding and unease.

With a grace and speed that belied the treacherous terrain, Kai, the fleet-footed warrior, sprinted along the darkened path, his moon blade gleaming ominously in the dim light. As he raced towards the embattled beastkin forces, he deftly took pot shots at the zombies, his sword artfully whistling through the air as it sliced through rotting flesh.

Noticing the lone warrior, a few of the zombies broke away from the main horde, their grotesque forms shambling towards Kai with a hunger that could never be sated. Undaunted, Kai stood his ground, his eyes narrowing as he readied himself for the oncoming onslaught. With a fluidity and precision that could only come from years of disciplined training, he danced through the ranks of the undead, his moon blade carving a deadly path through his foes.

As Kai cut down the last of his attackers, he glanced up, his gaze meeting the eyes of the beleaguered beastkin forces. The sight of someone else, alive and fighting, reignited a spark of hope within their hearts. They redoubled their efforts, their weapons finding renewed strength as they continued to hold back the relentless tide of the undead.

With a final, determined sprint, Kai joined the main force of beastkin, his moon blade adding its lethal song to the symphony of battle. The warriors, inspired by their reunited comrade, fought with every ounce of their remaining strength, their indomitable wills refusing to yield even as the dark road behind them threatened to consume all that they held dear.

----------

As Kai melded into the ranks of the beastkin warriors, Yukan, the seasoned Tanuki commander, saw the opportunity to seize the momentum. With his fur bristling and his eyes ablaze with determination, he leaped onto a small, elevated mound of earth, his commanding presence drawing the attention of his weary comrades.

Raising his weapon high, Yukan's voice boomed across the battlefield, cutting through the cacophony of battle with the authority of a true leader.

"Foreigners and undead are at our flank, be wary," he roared, "Shift formation to face the onslaught. We need to hold them off long enough for Ceylan to complete the purification process."

As the commander's words resonated through the hearts of the beleaguered army, their spirits began to rise, and a renewed sense of purpose filled their weary bodies. Yukan continued again, his voice unwavering, "We need to hold them off long enough for Ceylan to complete the purification process!"

A resounding battle cry erupted from the army, their voices joining together in a thunderous chorus that shook the very foundations of the Nightmare Swamp. Their eyes, once clouded with despair, now burned with the fierce light of determination and defiance.

The battle took on a new intensity, as the beastkin warriors charged once more into the fray, their spirits buoyed by their commander's stirring speech. The tanuki boar cavalry crashed through the zombie hordes with renewed ferocity. Ko and Paru, now with Kai flashed to fill any gap that had opened. While the spearmen accompanied by Indicus cut and burned down their foes with a renewed sense of purpose. The archers rained down a hailstorm of arrows, their aim unerring, and Whiteclaw's scouts continued to strike from the shadows with lethal precision.

The Riku's healer and Gyoubu, inspired by Yukan's rallying cry, found a hidden wellspring of strength deep within their souls. Their magical auras flared to life, the glow of their catalysts casting a warm, physical light across the battlefield as they mended wounds and restored their comrades back to fighting form.

United in their resolve, the beastkin army surged forward, a tide of fierce determination that would not be broken. The Nightmare Swamp, once a place of darkness and despair, was now the stage for a heroic stand that would be remembered for generations to come.

----------

Within the depths of the Nightmare Swamp, two figures moved with purpose through the treacherous landscape. Ceylan, a holy priest clad in robes adorned with sacred symbols, and Aurichal, a powerful Hound Archon with a fierce, canine visage, were driven by a mission that would test their courage and determination.

As the duo pressed on, their path led them towards the dying, old tree, a monolithic sentinel that seemed to defy the passage of time. Its gnarled limbs stretched into the sky, casting eerie shadows over the swamp's murky waters. The tree's once-mighty form was now ravaged by decay, a testament to the insidious corruption that had taken hold of the Nightmare Swamp.

The two companions approached the ancient sentinel, their eyes drawn to the gaping maw that opened before them, a dark portal that seemed to swallow all light and hope. The entrance beckoned, a siren's call that promised secrets and danger in equal measure. With a shared nod, Ceylan and Aurichal steeled themselves and entered the maw, plunging into the very heart of the swamp.

As they descended into the darkness, the air grew colder and more oppressive, and the putrid stench of decay hung thick in the air. The tree's twisted interior was a labyrinth of tunnels and chambers, each more foreboding than the last. Ceylan's holy symbol glowed faintly, casting a soft light that pierced the gloom and guided their path. Aurichal, his senses keen and his muscles tense, remained vigilant, prepared to defend his companion from any hidden dangers that lurked within the tree's depths.

Deeper and deeper they ventured, the weight of the darkness pressing down upon them like a heavy shroud. Each step they took seemed to echo through the endless chambers, a haunting reminder of their isolation within the heart of the Nightmare Swamp. Yet, the two companions pressed on, their resolve unwavering, for they knew that the fate of the swamp and its inhabitants rested upon their shoulders.

----------

Ceylan and Aurichal delved deeper into the bowels of the ancient tree, the darkness growing ever more oppressive with each step they took. As they ventured further into the inky blackness, they became aware of a malevolent presence that seemed to slither through the air, wrapping its tendrils around their very souls.

This dark nightmare, an embodiment of all the pain and suffering that the tree had partially digested over its long existence, seemed to take on a life of its own. The twisted amalgamation of misery and despair had manifested into a sinister entity, its sole purpose to feed on the light that Ceylan and Aurichal carried within them.

As the duo pressed on, the nightmare grew ever stronger, its insatiable hunger clawing at the edges of their consciousness. Shadows writhed and danced along the walls of the tree's interior, taking on grotesque forms that seemed to mock the very idea of life itself. The air grew thick with the palpable sense of dread, a miasma of darkness that sought to suffocate the holy beings.

Aurichal, his canine features set in a snarl, stood protectively in front of Ceylan as the nightmare's presence coalesced into a tangible form, its monstrous visage a twisted mockery of life. The Hound Archon's eyes burned with righteous fury, and his entire being radiated a fierce, celestial energy that seemed to defy the darkness itself.

---------------

Above the sky still hung heavily, dark and foreboding, as if the heavens themselves dared not look upon what had happened in the Nightmare Swamp.
    The gnarled, twisted trees surrounding the battlefield seemed to writhe in discomfort, their branches reaching out like skeletal fingers, as though trying to grasp the fleeting remnants of hope that lingered in the air. The sickly sweet scent of decay hung heavily in the air, a testament to the brutal combat that had just taken place.

On the other side of this macabre scene in the direction that had once lead home, the portal had been shaped into the entrance to a deeper layer of nightmares. Guarding this passage stood two impossibly perfect Fair Folk, their lithe forms encased in armor of jade and dreams. They bickered with each other, their voices like silver bells, discussing the nature of fighting and swords. They paid little heed to the ongoing battle between the undead and the beastkin, their interest piqued only when the beastkin emerged victorious.

"Curious, don't you think?" one of the Fair Folk mused, a smile playing upon their ethereal lips. "How something so savage can overcome the relentless force of the undead."

"Yes," the other replied, a hint of disdain in their melodious voice. "But such victories are fleeting in this realm."

As they spoke, the deeper nightmare began to take root around the portal, the swamp's fetid waters continuing to recede, replaced by a dense, old-growth forest reminiscent of the eerie woods from ancient fairy tales. Shadows danced across the trunks of timeless trees, as though concealing unknowable secrets.

From the darkness between the timeless trees, a cacophony of cackles filled the air, heralding the shaping of flying monkeys from Kai's dreams. These abhorrent creatures, once the whimsical guardians of a far-off land, now bore grotesque visages, their twisted forms a mockery of their former selves. Their malevolent eyes gleamed with malice as they occasionally swooped down from the gnarled branches, eager to inflict chaos and suffering upon all who dared to venture into this realm of nightmares.

The Fair Folk continued on in their conversation ignoring the growing number of flying monkeys that formed to guard the portal.

OOC: And with that the battle against the zombie horde is over and Ceylan may or may not prevail. And now to figure out if and how you will get home.

Scene 5: Interview with a Shield Archon and a Sawazuki.
  • It continued wagging when he noticed the appearance of the Shield Archon and heard the latter confirm he was willing to become a Shrine Guardian. He bowed deeply. “You have my sincerest gratitude for taking this task upon yourself.” He said, feeling intense relief at finding a good solution to his conundrum. After asking for the Shield Archon's name, or at least something to call him by, Ceylan sealed the deal. Chosen route: [Permanent Celestial Defender [Shield Archon] - The shrine is an artefact of power and instead of enhancing your own personal power, you may instead allow one celestial being remain as a defender against invaders, using the Shrine as a Magical Item that takes on the burden of the summons with a Duration Limiter of 3; Permanent.]

The Shield Archon, aglow with an ethereal radiance, stepped forward. "I am known as Uriel, the Bastion of Heaven's Might. I have come to serve as the steadfast protector, an immovable force against the tide of darkness," he declared, his voice resonant and comforting, echoing with celestial potency.

Aurichal, standing beside Uriel, nodded approvingly. "Ceylan, I present to you Uriel, Shield of the Divine Realms. He has brought with him a host of celestial beings, all imbued with the same noble purpose of protection and steadfastness. Together, they will stand as guardians against any force that dares threaten this sacred shrine."

As Uriel's words echoed within the shrine, a profound tranquility descended. The air hummed with sacred energy, and the shrine's surroundings seemed to respond in kind. The trees around the shrine stood taller, their leaves greener and more vibrant. The swamp waters, previously a murky and forbidding presence, now sparkled with reflected light, seeming less hostile and more inviting. Even the air seemed lighter, fresher.

Upon Uriel's official ascension as the Shrine Guardian, a brilliant flare of divine energy surged forth from the shrine. The structure seemed to pulse with newfound vitality, its ancient carvings glowing with a soft, welcoming light. Ceylan's Shrine Guardian Token, now attuned to Uriel, hummed with a similar radiance, echoing the bond between guardian and shrine.

As the purified shrine began to flourish once more, the presence of Aegrizora, the god of guardian trees, suffused the area, his divine protection a testament to the bravery of the holy beings who had fought to cleanse the Nightmare Swamp. A new alliance had been forged between Aegrizora and the celestial power that Uriel served, a partnership that promised an unyielding safeguard against any threats that dared to desecrate the restored harmony of the shrine and its surroundings.

The transformation of the shrine was a sight to behold. The once dilapidated structure was now a beacon of ethereal beauty, its walls gleaming with a divine sheen. The air around it hummed with energy, a sense of serenity and safety enveloping it like a protective barrier. It was as if the shrine had been reborn, its past wounds healed by the divine intervention.

With Uriel and his celestial host's arrival, the shrine itself seemed to breathe a sigh of relief. The eerie shadows that once lurked in the corners were replaced with a soft, comforting glow. The ancient symbols and carvings etched into its walls, now illuminated by the celestial light, stood as timeless testaments of its sanctity and history.

The shrine's influence extended beyond its immediate vicinity, too. The swamp, once a place of dread and despair, now seemed to revel in the shrine's restoration. It was as if the shrine's purification had eased the swamp's own pain, its murky waters becoming clearer, its oppressive aura lifting to reveal a hidden beauty beneath.

A subtle harmony had been restored, a balance between the divine and the natural, a symbiosis that breathed new life into the swamp.

Indicus shook his head "The witch is someone unknown, Sawazuki is just a victim. Sorry I can't explain better I don't fully understand myself and I am running on vague theories, limited information and an instinct I don't fully understand. All I know is whoever this witch is they have some sort of interest in me and their goal is very much unknown." Indicus shook his head and continued to sit as he tried to figure out what the hell was going on. He felt like a puppet on a string dancing to someone else's tune and it was frustrating.

On the topic of Swazuki, it was time for him to question her. He'd look around to see where he could find her, but as he was doing so, he'd use [Divine Healing C] on the wounded within both Yukan's and Riku's armies. Now that there was no need to hold back, having given away his identity, there was no need to watch anyone suffer without doing something about it. (He'd recast at D and E grade if that would be needed to get to everyone.)

Upon reaching Sawazuki, he would first ensure she was in good health, but then he'd speak surprisingly firmly (persuasion F) even though it was with understanding (empathy D). “Ma'am, I believe that out of everyone, you are the one that knows most about what really happened here. Please, tell us what you know and I will do what I can to ensure you will be treated fairly, regardless of the level or type of involvement you had in it.”

Sawazuki retold her tale.

Sawazuki, a Tanuki Geisha, was the victim of a cruel prank by an insidiously beautiful lady with silver-white hair, who was later identified as the White Witch. This lady, using her beguiling beauty and intimidating demeanor, manipulated Sawazuki and her family, causing them physical harm and psychological torment.

The White Witch had several different types of concoctions that all looked very close to each other. One of them, a silver-white liquid with unique properties - when ingested, it could cause intense pain, break bones, but then magically heal those injuries within seconds. She demonstrated this on Sawazuki's family, breaking and healing them repeatedly to ensure their compliance.

The other was supposed to be a harmless prank with the promise of a third potion with helpful properties. The White Witch gave Sawazuki this second type of vial and helped Sawazuki enhance her appearance. Unbeknownst to Sawazuki, the liquid was not only a healing potion but also an organic devouring acid that causes illusions when vomited out, which she later discovered to her horror.

Sawazuki was coerced into leaving her family behind, the White Witch promising to keep them safe.

The mysterious White Witch had planted the silver-white liquid in a large tree, which Sawazuki was meant to find as part of the "prank." Plus she could retrieve the third type of potions in the old oak tree after her prank was done to Indicus, which would not only help restore her family but make them stronger. However, this prank turned out to be a deadly trap that nearly resulted in the loss of several lives, and the old oak tree turned out to be a prison for the wicked and hungry for flesh whose excessive corruption had devastated and transformed the dream swamp into a forgotten nightmare.

Sawazuki's tale not only unravelled the truth behind the horrifying events in the swamp but also revealed a potentially greater conspiracy involving Indicus and whatever had been held beneath the corrupted shrine, highlighting the danger lurking in their midst.

As Kai gathered up the shards of the moon blood and recalled them, the pieces fluttered like cherry blossoms around the Moon tattoo on his palm, settling in a snaking, spiraling pattern from the moon, around his wrist and up his forearm. They burned with a coldness as they settled into his skin, but settled down into a tattoo soon enough.

In the aftermath of the unfathomable transformation, the landscape that once held the Nightmare Swamp was now a lush and serene oasis. Small verdant hillocks, each around twenty feet in diameter, emerged from the crystal-clear, warm water like tiny islands. The swamp was no more, replaced by a gentle spring, its waters reflecting the brilliance of the sky above.

The Shrine of Cleansed Curses stood as a beacon of divine intervention. Its cavernous depths, once teeming with malevolent forces, now exuded a sense of calm and tranquility. Above, in the heart of the massive tree trunk, structures began to form in the manner of the forest folk, seamlessly blending into the natural architecture of the tree.

The leaders of the allied forces, Yukan, Paru, Ko, and Ceylan, huddled on one of the hillocks. They conversed in hushed tones, strategizing their next moves and speculating about the implications of the recent events. The atmosphere was heavy with the weight of their discussions, yet there was a newfound hope that pervaded the air.

On another hillock, Riku huddled with his key leaders. There was a sense of urgency in their conversation, punctuated by animated gestures and intense gazes. Separately, Masanori found himself in a deep discussion with Riku, their faces reflecting the serious nature of their conversation.

Meanwhile, the celestial forces loyal to Uriel embarked on a task of utmost importance. They began fortifying the Shrine's defenses. Their efforts were a mixture of dream shaping and actual physical labor. It was a fascinating spectacle to watch as they shaped the reality around the Shrine using the raw power of their faith and divinity. The Shrine, now an important stronghold, was being fortified against any future threats.

As the day drew to a close, the allies began to settle down. They set up camps on the hillocks, their tents dotting the landscape like a constellation of earthbound stars. The soothing hum of the spring water became a lullaby, and the cool night air descended with a promise of a peaceful rest.

Thus concluded a day that would forever be remembered in the annals of their history – a day of revelation, transformation, and newfound alliances. As the stars shone brightly above, the allies prepared for the challenges and opportunities that awaited them in the days to come.

Last edited:
    Back