• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Graded [Yemaya City] An Interlude Pt. 1

Kristina

sample-6fd9cd421f932b4d1384d5098cfb5818.jpgShe eavesdropped on the meeting, as the crowd to see the quartermaster slowly grew. Kristina eyed them curiously as she smoked. She had seen many things in her life many of which the average civilian would probably gawk at. But the young man in an open trench coat with crisscrossing blue markings all along his body made for quite the surprising sight. She couldn't hazard a guess at the point of the tattoos, her first instinct was cultural but she doubted it was something so simple. If this world had taught her anything, it was that. Out of all of them he easily stood out the most. Though she seemed to have no aptitude with it, she could see Magic was in use based on the effects she could observe. 'The things I would've done for that kind of power back in Tajikistan...' Kristina reminisced, as she watched a mans flesh knit back together. It seemed Blue Boy was the perpetrator of that particular one. It irked her to know that she had no real way of detecting Magic. It was a chaos factor she couldn't account for with much accuracy. What would she do if a deal went sour and someone just decided to drop a curse on her or fireball the place?

As the proceedings within the quartermasters tent continued Kristina couldn't help but notice the winged soldier relaying the situation. Said soldier cut for quite the figure with all those feathers coming out of her. Resembling some kind of angel from scripture or Nordic valkyrie. No one really seemed to be batting an eye at her appearance beyond the fact she had some authority here. 'It seems even displays like that are common in this world. I can't help but wonder if I'm commiting some kind of social faux pas having these extra bits on me. Christ I hope I'm not some kind of disparaged minority, maybe that's in part why people keep staring at me...'. At the very least that pressure in her head was faint so it was unlikely anyone here looking at her was violently racist. That kind of thinking was a bit much for her to waste energy on so she let it go bringing her attention back to what was going on. While the abundance of sound was a bitch, her newly enhanced hearing allowed her to pick up on just about all the conversations going on with ease. Couldn't really sort throught it all though but focusing seemed to make it more bearable.

The conversation between the brass made something apparent to Kristina, Magic was definitely at play. If that "chill" that soldier spoke about was anything to go by. Along with the testimony of Mr.Torrin. 'Seems to me his sister was probably sticking her fingers where it doesn't belong. Do that back home you're likely to be shot, who knows what they'd do to you here.' The plan proposed by the rather oriental looking quartermaster was fairly by the book if a bit messy. By Kristinas reckoning it was a combination of urban warfare, and guerilla tactics, with some basic quarantine-like measures. Troop movements were standard as well. His reasoning made some sense to her in this room alone was practically their version of special forces even if most seemed independent to any government. She'd seen what one terrorist could do with Magic let alone the individuals around her. 'This hocus pocus rescue operation crap isn't exactly my forte...' she blew out a puff of smoke; thinking.

The teams began to form up as they prepared to make the trek to what remained of the Thorne Barony. Kristina followed Finn out the tent as he complained letting his misgivings with the plan known. She smirked, "Bit of a muscle head aren't ya boy scout? Can't say you're wrong though. They say that no good plan survives first contact with the enemy; maybe you're more than just a pretty face." She ribbed the knight a bit enjoying the company. Inside her mind though was a flurry of thoughts at how to proceed, and make the most profit from this. At the words of the swords woman walking with them she let out a light chuckle. "Good luck with that seems you guys will need it." As they began to travel she stopped once they were at the edge of the camp. "This is where I'll leave you, I've got some weapons on me but those are for selling I'm no fighter; doesn't sit right with me." She smiled as she pulled out her cigarette tapping the burned ash off the end, "I'll be cheering for you Perv Knight, happy hunting." Her tail swished happily from side to side. With a casual wave of her hand she sent them off. Watching as the group drew closer and closer to the Barony. Once they were sufficient distance away her face slackened, a serious and intense expression overtaking her features. 'Man it's a lot harder to force my tail to move a certain way than I thought...Based off what that guy said they'll be headed to the farmlands near the West Gate. They'll likely be slowly making their way through the city. Search and rescue, enemy contact, keeping their cover, those things take time. In that case I'll cut around through the South Gate and make a bee line for the Castle might find something of use there, maybe even the Baroness. Seems like another cloak and dagger operation for me Casper...'

As she had said she flanked around the main party, letting them make their way into the city as she infiltrated from the south [Stealth E] [Fast E]. Once there she would scale the wall [Climbing F] or if that was unfeasible try and sneak in, though with the level of chaos going on it may not even be fully necessary. Making her way into the city she pulled the cloth out her ears putting them to use on the lookout for the opposition [Heightened Sense (Hearing) F].

Last edited:
Rowan Thorn
rowan.jpg
This new person- this baroness adjacent brother of hers seemed extremely shady- in that way that maybe he doth protest too much- like maybe he wasn't just concerned for his sister's safety. He could also just be a massive creep who loves his sister. Even if she didn't know his motives, she would still be wary of this man- a well-to-do man showing up and throwing insults, even if it was because no one was currently searching for his sister, was always bad news.

Rowan perked up at the Quartermaster giving her a group to work with- Finn the soldier and this new girl, Kristina. "Yes sir, Quartermaster. Who would you like to have a protective barrier placed around them? I can give ten beings their own barriers, subtracting five for Hera, Finn, Kristina, you, and me. Hera, I can give you a personal barrier if you would like- so if you are shot at, you are more likely to survive." She would wait until the appropriate people mentioned either assented to a barrier or nixed the idea of having one. "Whoever else comes with us can get their own barriers. It's most useful for the possible ambushes you mentioned, but they're less than stealthy."

After the declaration and any subsequent answers given, she would wander over to Finn and Kristina, wanting to say hello to her fellow teammembers. "Hello Finn, it's nice to see you again." She greeted Finn, before turning to Kristina. "My name's Rowan, nice to meet you." She thought it was best not to advertise her last name, even if it was clear she wasn't the baroness of this place. "Though...if I get a barrier around these canines, I think I can take them down. If they're not particularly...full of constitution. As long as you both watch my back."

Marcellus Fachnan

At neck-breaking speeds, the blurred visage of a carriage flew through the countryside. The coachmen who sat in the open seat at the front of it gave a great wack of the reins that he held within his grasp, urging the horses that drew the carriage to gallop faster than they already were. Inside, a man with a head of flaxen hair sat, stiff posture leaving much to be desired. His leg bounced up and down restlessly as impatient eyes watched the fast-passing surroundings through the window. How could this have happened? He had only been gone for six days. It's not as if he didn't trust his siblings... well he trusted Eustacia, the newly made Thorne Baroness, at the very least not to participate in anything foolish or reckless. But Torrin? He was simply a whole different case. His behavior, which was frankly applauding at times, had been the ultimate defining factor as to why they never had that sort of intimate relationship that close relatives typically did have.

However, regardless of his own personal feelings toward his brother, he had always tried to remain civil. Fighting was pointless where there was no true purpose to it and he was a person who only ever fought when necessary. Inconsequential squabbles were completely beneath him.

An explosion, they say, had occurred in Yemaya. Aside from that, he knew no further information. It was downright frustrating, to say the least, and having already been on the road back home when the news reached him, rushing back had only been a simple matter of time from there on. It wouldn't be long before the carriage arrived at the distant figure of what appeared to be a camp set up just outside of the city limits. He clung steadfastly to his seat, trying his hardest to not faceplant into the other unoccupied seat in front of him as the compartment quivered and shook appropriately as the path beneath the carriage changed in condition. It seemed that they had gone off-road now, changing direction as the regular road for entry inside of Yemaya was obviously blocked off with the current disaster at hand.

As soon as the coach pulled to a stop he was up and out of it before his poor chauffeur could even take the chance open the door for him, unable to keep idle within a confined environment such as that for another few hours. There were solemn few familiar faces he saw about the area, increasing his gradually building worries even further. Yemaya's absolutely destroyed state which screamed of death and ruin did not serve to help that fact either. Just looking at the city gave him an immense feeling of wrongness. It wasn't supposed to look like that. No, not in the slightest. That wasn't his home. Wrong, wrong, wrong. It simply whispered at him from all directions, the stench of death and cries of the anguished overwhelming his senses. His head swam as his mind mentally tried to overlap his current view with the one of the past. It was an odd yet familiar sensation. After all, he had always had a special connection with history that had long passed.

He shook his head, steely trying to reign himself in from going off into the rabbit hole. This wasn't the place. He needed to focus on the present. A gloved hand came up and pulled aside Quartermaster Peng's tent's entrance flaps, allowing him swift entry, finally having found the damned thing after smoothly badgering people that weren't panicking their heads off, about its location.

For the first time today, he was met with a pleasant surprise as he entered. Even if said surprise came in the form of someone who could be decidedly less.. than pleasant.
"Brother.." He uttered out, almost in a hushed manner before hurriedly heading over to the aforementioned man. "Tell me, are you well?" Fretting over anyone remotely close to him was second nature at this point, something he'd never grow out of him. But now? With the current circumstances? All he wanted to do was fuss over everyone.

"Oh! Forgive me, your presence nearly eluded me in my haste." It had been all too easy to forget that there was another within the tent when he had laid sight of his brother. "I am Marcellus Fachnan, while it is most unfortunate we make our acquaintance under such.. dire circumstances. It is a pleasure to meet you." Marcellus greeted kindly, bowing to the rather short in stature man who appeared rather striking in a multitude of ways. But this world was strange like that. Strange but so very interesting.

With the introduction out of the way, he turned to his brother once more, expression settling into something serious. "Torrin, where is she? I haven't seen Eustacia at all-" A pit grew in his stomach as his words trailed off. Did he even want to know the answer to that question?

LadyOfStars LadyOfStars

conman2163 conman2163

Code by Serobliss

Setting:
Weather: Cool, Windy
Time of Day: 1pm
OOC: Upon entering the city, all characters will contract Fell Blight. While everyone will feel some discomfort, magic users will have their magic capability stifled. Range, AoE and Magic grade will all be decreased by 1 grade.

1666108229022.pngHera was started to get nervous, but as she listened to Peng give out the final orders, she felt a little more excited than fearful. Flying was what she did best and tricking the enemy shouldn't be too complicated of a task. She put her helmet back on her head and nodded to show that she understood what Peng wanted her to do. She looked around the tent and felt her excitement rising as she realized she was participating in a historic moment, something that would be remembered by Sol County for years to come. Never did she think that this would be her life. She was ready though and eager now that she'd hyped herself up.

1666109264702.png
As the company moved into and through the farmland, they would see that Hera's words were true. It was mostly quiet and untouched with animals roaming around unchecked. However, the closer that they got to the city itself, the more apparent it became that death awaited them. No matter which team you were part of, you would start to see mangled corpses of animals and humans. The ground was painted with dried blood and you couldn't take a step without almost crushing what was once some's intestines or some other vital organ. The victims were varied, from elderly to adolescent and those who were lucky enough not to brutally murdered by the enemy, had already been killed by the explosion and the shockwave that accompanied it. Such proof could be found in the dismembered corpses that hung from the rooftops

Perhaps most important however was the dark and sick feeling that would wash over everyone as they entered the city. It was unclear if the terrible smell that had become stuck in their noses was the smell of rotting bodies or something else entirely as it seemed unshakeable. The putrid scent was accompanied by a feeling similar to nausea, but not quiet as physical. They would also feel cold and magic users would feel weakened.

The Residential Area:

The party of Aria, Regula, and Michael would agree by majority vote try the river route, but upon arriving to the river they would find that the waterway had been spoiled. Apart from the debris the slowed the flow of the river, there were also limbs and whole corpses laying on the river's floor or hanging partially in it. The blackened skin and presence of maggots was enough to inform them of the state of these fallen. However, the river was now walkable if they still felt it a better approach. The bridges in town which the river ran under would offer them some momentary cover from the still unknown enemy. For now, they were safe.

But if they were going to enter the area through normal means then they would need to hurry before the enemy unit made their way back to the outside of the residential distract.

The Commercial District:

Hera did not appreciate Finn's words and while she wanted to reprimand him and suggest he behave better, it was not her place to do so. She was just a volunteer scout after all. "I won't be needing a barrier, but thank you for offering your assistance." She said to Rowan. With the information from Regula, she felt better suited to carryout her task now and was confident that she could complete it. "Well, this is where I leave you all." She secured her helmet on her head and stepped away from the group to spread her wings. A powerful gust of wind surged out from her and with one beat of her wings, the scout rocketed upward.

The rest of the group would find themselves standing at what resembled a quarry more than a shopping area. Buildings had been toppled over into the street and large pieces of debris sat in the way of progress. It was obvious now why this area of of lease interest to the enemy. But per Regula's information, they would know that the survivors were either in the shops and under the debris.

If they approached any of the still standing storefronts, they would see that there were no people inside, but many of these buildings had cellars which could be accessed from back rooms and such. With people being trapped under debris in the street, they would need to be careful not to cause too much shifting or too much noise, lest they attract the enemy.

Relief Camp:

Torrin's eyes narrowed at Retili as the man spoke to him and he was surprised to hear what the man had to say. As the scribe left the tent, the advisor moved to follow behind him, but was stopped by the arrival of a new face. "Brother?" Confusion covered Torrin's face as his mind made sense of what he was seeing. His brother was unharmed and seemed to be in good health, so he couldn't have been coming from the city. "What are you..." He was about to ask a stupid question. It made sense that they would both be here, this was their home after all. "Eustacia...she's missing, somewhere in the city we think. But the Count has sent his trusted knights to find her." he placed his hand on Marcellus' shoulder and although he couldn't manage a smile, he nodded his head. "But we need to whip this camp into shape and see if any of the survivors have any information to give us about her."

Leaving the tent, Torrin was surprised to see how Retili seemed to assume control of the camp now that Peng was gone. Of course, Torrin followed the scribe and beckoned his brother to follow. "I am certain that control of the camp does not fall to the Scribe." He said with emphasis on the man's title, as if reminding him of his place. "I came because I knew that the upstarts that the Count has put in power here would need a sharper mind to lead them, and I am the only person who can claim to know the Count's mind, so in the absence of the Quartermaster I will lead the camp." Retili's search would be soured not only by Torrin's attitude, but also by the lack of possibly useful medical vegetation in the area.

The ground was greatly disheveled with large craters thrown about the field. The explosion had thrown debris outside the city and the shockwave destroyed much of the surrounding vegetation. Torrin walked away from Retili and found the same guard that the Scribe had given his orders to. "Begin interrogating the survivors. We need to know what happened here and one of them must have information to fill in the gaps." The guard stopped what he was doing and looked to Torrin, then to Retili. Confusion was an understatement.

The man was a simple, low born and new to this line of work. He didn't know who Torrin was, but he knew Retili as only a scribe. He was left unsure of what orders to follow.

South Gate:

The beastwoman would find her way into the city easily enough, with the defensive wall having been destroyed and the gates unguarded. the first sound she'd pick up would be silence, as if the city were completely dead, but then she would here the footfalls of a unit of at least a dozen enemy soldiers marching through the residential area. What her ears didn't hear were shadow dogs approaching in pursuit of a woman. Their feet made no noise as they raced across the cobblestone streets, just like the woman who tried to keep quiet while hiding in a broken cart filled with blackened hay. The woman's face was visible as she tried to keep watch of the street, but she could not see that the hounds were on a direct path to her. Kristina could try to intervene and perhaps save the woman's life.

F5B8F169-DC01-41BA-9F90-B0BA93F2C963.jpeg

Enemies: Regula's tremorsense would reveal to her the location of seven enemy squads; four of which were patrolling in tightknit units that marched in unison through the city streets. Two units marched through the residential area, going block by block, another walked through the commercial district and was also going block by block. The fourth unit marched back and forth along parallel streets that lead to the castle. She would see no figures that resembled the canine threat that Hera and Peng warned about.
Civilians: Regula's tremorsense allowed her to locate large clusters of survivors huddled up in the residential district. She would also note that the commercial distract had survivors under the debris and trapped within shops. There were smaller cluster of civilians along the main road, hidden in what remained of the stronger and sturdier homes. But her sight would show her that a great deal of civilian corpses were piled high outside the castle.

Origin: Fell Blight is a common curse/effect associated with the Fell plane and the Fell God. Arcanist and religious folk would be familiar with it especially. It is most often associated with the entities of the Fell plane, such as demons and other dark creatures who originate there. Fell Blight permeates from them like an aura. The more powerful a creature is or the longer they remain in one place, the larger that aura grows and the stronger the curse becomes.

Dante Verren Dante Verren conman2163 conman2163 Novama Novama Elvario Elvario EMIYAman EMIYAman Orikanyo Orikanyo RavenSong RavenSong slifer37 slifer37 eloise eloise

Last edited:
Retili Loxinofican
Mentioned: LadyOfStars LadyOfStars Torrin

It was with great and growing annoyance that Retili found himself walking through the perimeter of the camp. No plants in sight to help, and Torrin was following behind him spouting all sorts of nonsense. Then suddenly he was no longer following. Retili wheeled with a sense that something was wrong. He noted that Torrin was moving towards the same guard he had already spoken to and he turned with a sense of foreboding. Then he heard the words. The damnable fool of an advisor was getting in the way of the proper building of this camp. Retili stalked over to him and confronted Torrin directly. "What in the name of all the gods do you think you are doing?" He pulled his hood back, wincing slightly at the touch of sun on his skin. He endured it so he could properly fix his gaze on the man. His words came out in a low hiss. "Did you happen to forget your place Master Torrin? I heard no mention of authority to be vested in you to command any of these men from Quartermaster Peng. In fact I seem to distinctly remember your place as advisor to Lord Light, not Quartermaster of his army or General of it. Does he happen to know that you are here and interfering with the orders of the Quartermaster?" He crossed his arms, his yellow eyes and black scar framing the hard look on his face. "You may think that you are in charge, but from what I remember the quartermaster left me in charge of organizing the work details for any of the survivors, which means they fall under my authority. No such interrogations will take place until such time as it is approved by the quartermaster or Lord Light himself."

Regula
Mentions: Aria RavenSong RavenSong | Michael Novama Novama |

Regula clicked her tongue not too long after finding the river. โ€œI guess this'll save us some swimming.โ€ It looked very gross though, to the point of it being horror-esque. โ€œBest we don't slip.โ€ That said, something felt off. โ€œWait, these corpses seem to be dead for a long time, yet from what I've gathered, the explosion starting all this was mere days ago. Could they be from a nearby graveyard... or maybe something sped up the rotting process? Or maybe something has been going on long before we found out?โ€ That last option in particular felt ominous.

โ€œI could sense seven enemy squads patrolling around and multiple clusters of civilians in hiding, but what worries me most is something like a pile-up of corpses outside the castle. They might be gathering the bodies for something and I doubt we'll want to find out what it's for.โ€ It was quite a dilemma. โ€œWe could focus on rescuing people, but we might be interrupted by enemy patrols. We could also choose to fight the enemy head-on to see if we can distract and delay them whilst others focus on rescue efforts. Or we could see if we can sneak our way towards the castle and try to stop whatever they're doing there before it's too late.โ€

Those were the three options she could think of. โ€œI'd personally like to engage them, but I'm worried about what's happening at the castle and I don't like the idea of abandoning people to their fate either. What do you two think?โ€ She looked at Aria and Michael, hoping for their opinions on the matter. That said, she felt conflicted. On the one hand, she wanted to be a leader here and take more initiative. On the other, she was unsure of what course of action was best to take. After all, this type of event was entirely outside of her area of expertise. Was it bad to rely on the opinions of others at a time like this? She surely hoped not.

To make matters worse, as she checker her gear, she noticed the enchantments weren't giving off their usual power. Something was tempering them. โ€œYou mentioned that aerial had something like that on he as well, right? Do you think it's a side-effect of whatever they're doing here? Or perhaps even put here on purpose?โ€ She asked Michael, recalling him mentioning it earlier.

Peng Deming
Interaction: LadyOfStars LadyOfStars Orikanyo Orikanyo slifer37 slifer37
3073b1b9c1442dd31af153ce979a833a.jpg

As the group seemed to accept his plan he turned to Rowan in particular who addressed him and shook his head. "If you wish to cast barriers on the others then please do so. I will have to refuse your offer for myself. A barrier used on me is put to better use on someone else." He replied before bowing his head in thanks. His eyes then shifted towards the blond man Fin, He was impatient, the type of man who thought a good speech and pointing a sword in the right direction was all you needed. He had probably seen plenty of battles, but most likely never the horrors of a full scale war. War was much more complicated and it certainly required more then speeches and blades pointing in directions. He would not speak against his attitude yet, after all in comparison to people like the advisor Thorn, it was likely a breath of fresh air to the common man. As long as Fin did not create any issues for the relief effort then he would earn no protest from Peng.

Once in the city Peng's eyes scanned the destruction of the commercial district. What once would have been beautiful storefronts were now reduced to oversize piles of rubble. Combined with the uneasy feeling that he had received upon entering the city it was a concerning combination. Now seeing the destruction up close his suspicions began to solidify. Losing himself for a second he turned his gaze towards the castle and raised his hands , forming an L with both hands, he placed them together to make a box and held it front of his right eye like it was a camera. "The explosion really did center from the castle, that only leave one question about baroness Thorne, Is she a traitor or just gone mad with power...?" he muttered to himself.

Remembering himself he lowered his arms and turned to his allies. "My suspicions of these enemies being either summoned or mind controlled are almost certain to be correct. I now believe that this is not the working of an outside force alone, rather the work of the Baroness or someone else in her court. While outside powers are likely involved they are not the main cause. For now we will start here with the removal of rubble, don't bother clearing it fully. Focus on making a path top get people out. When we are eventually discovered by either a wandering patrol or stray enemy use your own discretion to deal with them, Just do not chase them to far from the group that we wouldn't be able to provide support. " With that being said Peng moved to the nearest store front and began to get to work on trying and find a way to the celler to begin clearing a path.

Kristina

sample-b27ca058dce16a85b6608d4a24a7df5e.jpgKristina prowled along the edge of the city walls. Doing what she could to keep a low profile, so as not to alert anyone. However, upon reaching the gates she found her discretion unnecessary. It was silent, eerily so especially for a city. In the span of a few hours the Barony had been reduced to a husk. Even the very entrance she had plan to take was partially dilapidated with portions of the city wall collapsed entirely. 'Its practically a ghost town, any citizens who didn't evacuate are likely already dead. Whatever did this, it was thorough.' Kristina made her way into the city hopping over or around rubble. As she crossed the boundary she was suddenly accosted by a vile feeling. Instinctually she took out her knife, darting her head around looking for unseen foes. Her ears were pulled back and her tail was raised stiffly into the air. Even her breath had picked up, growing heavier. 'This must be that "chill". So this is more of what Magic can do, wonder if this counts as a biological attack...' Like they had said a coldness that seemed to stretch beyond the physical permeated her. It would take getting used too, but she pushed on.

Keeping on the alert her ears twitch as a trace of a sound reached her. Stopping for a moment she strained her ears to pinpoint what she was hearing. 'One, two, three, four... yeah those are steps, and so many at once must mean an organized unit. Doubt they're civilians moving like that and they don't sound terribly far from here. I'll have to avoid them.' While there were collapsed buildings and still fires about Kristina tried to climb up and gain a vantage point. Cutting down travel time and expanding her surveillance. She wanted to speed things up as much as possible, she didn't want to stay here any longer than necessary. Doing her best to travel by rooftop and whatever remained of the city she continued her route to the castle only to almost go right over someone. She blinked slightly surprised as she hadn't heard anything even when she was practically right on top of them. Looking down she could see a woman huddled in a cart of charred and molded hay. She could just make out her features but it wasn't clear. 'Well I'll be, there's still some civvies kicking around. Good on them for surviving so far.' She gave the women an unseen salute of respect then made to leave, but stopped when she saw movement. Once again she hadn't heard them coming and even now as she saw them they still made no noise. 'Of course I can't even rely on my hearing as soon as it get's this good. Now I have to worry about things which make no sound sneaking up on me...' They appeared to be canines but they were black and seemed partially formed from shadow. It wisped off them as if they were incomplete. Kristina's eyes narrowed, they were on a collision course for the woman below her. They would find her no doubt of that. She debated what to do but she didn't have much time. This civilian had nothing to do with her goal of reaching the castle, and she wasn't the type to go heroically galivanting from place to place. 'I'm not running a charity, but I also don't have much to work off in the first place. It'd be one thing if it was those guys marching about the city, but I can manage some magic mutts...' A memory flashed through her mind one she hadn't thought of in a while, a blue uniform and a badge.

She sighed lightly then began to remove her "merchant" attire leaving herself in her usual outfit. Stuffing it into her bag she waited above, right when the dogs would come upon the woman she dropped her pack down letting it land between them. The moment it left her hand she moved [Hunting Operation E]. Reversing her grip on the knife in her hand she fell upon one of the dogs aiming to stab directly into the back of its neck, severing the spine's connection to the head. As she landed upon it she would quickly toss a [Throwing Knife F] at the other it likely wouldn't kill, but she could dispatch it from there.

• Hunting Operation - Fighting Style [K's Systema] E, Climbing F, Stealth E, Acrobatics F - Kristina as "K" spent a large amount of time avoiding fights rather than starting them. As a bodyguard to Casper her role was mostly defensive in nature. She would respond to dangerous elements and react accordingly. But once in a while there were moments where Caspar declared a "Hunt". Kristina launches an attack from a hidden position on ground or from an elevated position similar in function to Tactical Retreat but used aggressively. - Grade E - 1 Post Cooldown

Last edited:
Finn

54ab08e1168ca6bd5fe31d0783c67cbd.jpg
"Ugly state of things for sure... just ruin, ruin and death." Finn gave a light run through his hair with a hand. "Consequences of the bullshit of their so and so "betters," and here they have to be the one to deal with the consequences... Whatever rodent caused this deserves to be put in the ground, not the poor folks who live here..." he walked up to a shop and gazed inside the ruined storefront.

"...General store.. Hope the family here got out okay... Likely to find merchants. Poor sods... if this is a war as they say these places would be ransacked by soldiers... Do as you will to train a man but greed will have him break formation like a dog spotting a squirrel.

Cover me, going in. if we got a healer with us best keep em at the ready gods knows what we'll find. " he spoke up, proceeding to a store front to try and find any survivors. "...A chill..? I'm not afraid.. perhaps..." he took a quick appraisal of himself.. Finding the blight as he wriggled.

"...What in blazes have these high blood folk uncovered..? If they touched something they shouldn't for power's sake we're in deeper shit than I thought... All magics down, means outside of conventional healing things gonna be tougher. And.. I'm gonna need to put in more work..." he spoke mostly to himself, taking a moment to breath within the ruined store. "Anyone here? if you've wounded we're here to bring you all to safety."

LadyOfStars LadyOfStars Dante Verren Dante Verren slifer37 slifer37

Konpaku.Youmu.600.2125213.jpg
After fixing herself up with mud, she nodded at Michael who seemed to be assesing the Fell Blight. Then suggesting they deviate from the quartermasters original plan and swim through the river. Aria crossed her arms, mud still falling off her limbs as she did so and closed her eyes. โ€œWould have been terrific if iโ€™d known before jumping in..โ€ She shrugged however, the deed was done and it was nothing a bucket full of water couldnt fix anyway. โ€œ..very well, whats the plan?โ€ her voice soft and a little raspy from breathing in ash, before listening intently.

The maiden nodded at Michaels assesment of the Fell Blight. Taking a mental note, however, most of her skills werenโ€™t magic based, so Aria woulnโ€™t comment further.

Turning to Regula, and how she challenged the Quartermasters resolve, Aria tilted her soiled head, blinking as she pondered their next move. Then seeing as both Regula and Michael were in agreement of the change of plans she thought it best to follow suit. Splitting off at this point wouldnโ€™t be the brightest idea. At least not until she knew what they were up against.

โ€”

They made their way swiftly to the river, but upon arival, Aria noticed the obvious buildup of debris. Astonished, Aria winced at the horrible sight before her eyes. The place reeked of rotting flesh and of severed body parts lining the path of the rivers flow through waterway. โ€œGods..โ€ she gasped, bringing up a hand to cover her nose.

Sheโ€™d get low, considering the river was empty and they were very near the bridge, all any enemy sentries needed to do was to look down. It was a bit of a risky position.

Aria kept her sights on the bridge as Regula evaluated their options, drawing a knife at the ready in case theyโ€™d be spotted prematurely. However, a detail particularly stood out, speaking as low as she could so as to not draw any attention, โ€œSeven squads? Hmm, thats alot of enemies to attempt to sneak through without the means to cloak..โ€ turning to Michael, sheโ€™d inquire, โ€œ..perhaps we could find another way? Surely, the city must have waste drains into this dammed up waterway. If we could find it, weโ€™ll keep the element of surprise while moving forward.โ€ This blue knight was such a mystery to the maiden, but frankly after saving her life back in Highgrove, and slicing up a raging bunny fiend Aria had much trust in him.

Looking up towards the wall, she pondered out loud. โ€œI will say, if this city had catapults for defenses, thereโ€™s certainly some rope. If one of us could sneak in somehow, they could throw the rope down and allow for the other two to climb up the wall. Then we could close the portcullis โ€ She closed her eyes, and shook her head. โ€œThats assuming the walls dont have lookouts on the other side, who could sound the alarm. Who knows how many more would attack at that point."

Marcellus Fachnan

Missing. Eustacia was missing. Perhaps if such news were told to a normal person, they would have immediately despaired. But not Marcellus. Not when missing meant they had no true confirmation of her actual status. If there was no body nor severed limbs that needed to be lay claimed too by relatives yet, then he could still have hope. The world could be ferociously unpredictable and things could change in a matter of minutes. But even then, it still had its own miracles, and with the knowledge that Count Linneus had sent knights that he personally trusted out into the city to search for her, he felt his pounding heart could be at rest just for a short while.

He briefly glanced at the hand placed on his shoulder, silently wondering if that was his brother's way of showing quiet affection, before paying attention to the next string of words that left Torrin's mouth. While he did agree with the notion of 'shaping up' the camp as it was so eloquently put, he wasn't so sold on the whole badgering survivors about the whereabouts of their sister. Especially once taking into account the disastrous current state of affairs and the severity of it, hounding people who just experienced a traumatic event didn't come across as the greatest idea of the lot.

Marcellus followed behind as they headed out of the tent like a specter when beckoned, dark cloak billowing back in the smoky post-explosion wind. His brows, however, furrowed with apparent apprehension upon his brother's emphasis on said Scribe's title. There was a problem here. Though just as he was about to speak up subsequently after Torrin's absolutely arrogant declaration of control of the camp, he was beaten to it by Torrin branching off toward a guard and the now unhooded scribe's admonishment of him. This.. could become complicated for everyone involved.

He knew his brother was like and if a power struggle over the camp was allowed to fester any longer than it already had now, only the gods knew what would happen later. "May I remind you two that we are in the eye of the public currently? Do you wish for people to see that the figures or at least a figure in charge are having disputes amongst themselves?" Appearance was everything, even more so than ever. There were unsavory individuals who liked to take advantage of chaos and infighting between those that were running the camp merely presented an opening for them to do as they pleased. Gods, there was a reason he had sworn off from having children in this life. "And brother, I must agree with the scribe. As much as I wish to find Eustacia, interrogations simply do not appear to be the best course of action at this time." He was not naive enough to believe his words would immediately have the desired effect and vanquish their squabbling but he at least needed to say something. Staying quiet on this matter was not an option.

LadyOfStars LadyOfStars
conman2163 conman2163
Code by Serobliss

Michael, Hero of Osun
Post Listenings:
Cooldowns: N/A till combat starts
OOC: using blue sight to determine if the corpses are undead, how long the corpses have been dead for, cause of death
Mentions: LadyOfStars LadyOfStars RavenSong RavenSong Elvario Elvario
TLDR: Michael, used to corpses from his time of torture, is appalled by the smell. Michael uses blue sight to learn more about the nature of the corpses around the area and those in the river. Michael explained fell plane to party. Michael encourage party to stick to the plan for the moment. Michael agreed with aria's idea to stick to the river and try to fidn a drainage system for the town that could perhaps allow them to move around without as much risk of detection.

Michael's nose scrunched up at the stench of the corpses about and in the waterway. Looking at him, one might think he was appalled and dismayed by all the death and rot around. He was slow to participate in the planning discussion as he spent some moments looking around and appraising some of the corpses for nature of death, if they were truly dead, as well as timeline of their death. He was hoping to take some of Regula's thoughts and see if he could deduce anything or at least narrow the options of what was going on.

Regula and Aria would note Michael quietly holding his breath while gasping [Blue Sight] around them. While his mind played catch up on what he learned and the conversation at hand, Michael would share what he knew of the Fell Blight,

" There is a plane parallel to this one. It is called the Fell and it is a negative, dark reflection of this plane. The things that dwell there are similarly dark and evilly aligned, either corrupted by the plane or born of it. Such an entity is likely here, in our plane. The telltale signs of their presence is the Fell Blight and its affliction on the area. We could try leaving the area and would likely recover in time, but until whatever Fell being has crossed over is gone, the blight will only grow. The curse seems particularly concentrated around the castle."

Michael pointed to the ruined castle. He had his fill of looking around. The thought that there could be undead about made him think of ghosts and he visibly shuddered at the thought. Despite Regula's proposal seemingly being a sound way to deal with the core of the problem, Michael shared his own thoughts,

" When you are on a team, you must rely on others to fulfill the role given to them. No one person can do it all. When others fall short, it is then, and only then that other members should step in to take hold of the slack. If the member can't be trusted to hold their own, then they shouldn't be on the team in the first place. And anyone who can't be a teamplayer shouldn't be on a team either."

Michael's eyes took on a 1000 yard stare to them for a moment as he recalled his years doing special team races where they passed the baton between runners. Any one runner could mess up the race for the whole team, but any one runner could also save the race for the team. Despite Regula's proposal seemingly being a sound way to deal with the core of the problem, Michael interjected his own thoughts in concurrence with Aria's thought.

"Although I was one of the first knights of the order, I have been out of the loop for a while, so perhaps things have changed some. However, I believe the order was founded on saving and preserving the innocent and the helpless. Before we go waging war, let's make sure we get the civilians assigned to us to safety first. To that end, my vote would be we continue to try and avoid discovery as we locate survivors and try to get them out. I like Aria's idea of using the drainage system of the town if it has one. It would likely feed into the river and would probably run networked through out the city. The town would potentially flood with those high walls around it keeping the water in if it wasn't properly drained as well. Should keep us out of sight, potentially hide our smell from the beasts, and if the survivors have collapsed buildings on top of them, perhaps smuggling them out via the underground tunnels will be the best way to avoid notice, keep the vulnerable protected while we relocate them, and even reach some of them unless one of you can lift fallen houses."

The plan hinged on the party remaining undiscovered in the river, finding an accessible drainage pipe for the city, and clearing any obstacles between them and the survivors. If it worked out, they would have a readily available escape route for getting the survivors free of the district and potentially never have to encounter or alert the patrols above.

ability stuff:
  • Blue Sight - Appraisal E, Supersense: Infrared Visions E, Feature: Darkvision F, Sixth Sense: Mana Vision F, Energized E, Medicine F, Arcana F - See Mana Flows, temperature variations, and appraise targets within 100ft to perceive basic arcane and medical information - Grade E - 0 post cooldown.

Last edited:
Campsite
Struggles for power and arguments over control of the camp's inhabitants. Fear and uncertainty crept through the camp as the back and forth between Retili and Torrin was watched closely. At first the people had been grateful, happy even, for the arrival of the relief effort, but now they were losing hope. Even the guards and volunteers were starting to look despair in the eyes. They were faced with the undeniable truth that something was strong enough to destroy a city and yet this was the leadership they were settled with. It was scary to say the least. But as the young highborn spoke, everyone seemed to turn their heads away and get back to work.1666549440220.png

Torrin looked at Retili and examined his uncovered face. A bold move on the Scribe's part for sure and it was not wasted on Torrin. Perhaps he was scared for his sister or tired from the long journey from Osun, but Torrin's mind was not right. It took hearing Retili remind him of his own place to realize that. HIs position as advisor hinged on the fact that he was knowledgeable of the nobility and could help Linneus navigate the great game. Causing a scene and halting the efforts of the relief camp was the sort of thing that would get him banished from court and without that he'd have nothing left. His gaze shifted to his brother who wisely counseled him as well against his current actions. "You are both right." The advisor conceded. "I think exhaustion and stress have clouded my judgement and...made me irrational." His anger and frustration which he had felt since arriving were now subdued by his embarrassment and shame. He could not be baron of Thorne so he needed to hang on to his current title for as long as possible and to do that he would need to ensure this argument died here. "Forgive me..." He reluctantly mumbled. "...Master Loxinofican. If I can be of any use to the relief effort then please....put me to work."

As things seemed to die down, the guard hurried to do as Retili had initially ordered him to do. "Ah...and this is my brother, Marcellus Fachnan. He is more level-headed than I so please, let him help you where I cannot." Torrin added. Almost right away, two riders approached Retili, just as the man had requested, ready to take his letters west. It seemed the camp was getting back on track.

Residential Area
Michael's use of Blue Sight would come in handy once again as it would reveal that the corpses which lined the river were in fact regular dead and could do no harm to them. He would learn that many of the corpses died of magical burns, likely caused by the explosion and that same Fell magic continued to eat away at their bodies which caused them to decay faster. Other bodies suffered wounds that would be found in combat and some were dragged and crushed by the debris. The greatest time any of the corpses had been dead at least nine days.1666546311550.png

In a two to one vote, the residential team agreed to find an underground way to move forward through the city and just in time because the enemy soldiers were returning to the extierior of the residential area. Carefully but quickly, the team would proceed down the river several paces and find their opening. A circular tunnel that branched off the river and seemed to head in the direction of the residential area. Unfortunately the tunnel itself was foul smelling, but there were no bodies in it at least. Entering the tunnel they would find it was roomy enough that they would not have to stand on top of one another, but the tunnel was only about 5 feet tall, so they might have to crouch.

Moving further in and the team would reach their first intersection of tunnels. They could go right which would lead them south to more tunnels, left which was a northern exit that would let them out under the stone bridge in the center of the district, or they could go forward where there seemed to be a door of sorts in the ceiling. While they pondered their options, what sounded like wind would begin to echo through the tunnels, but no breeze would be felt by any of the knights.

Commercial District

When Peng started to clear away the rubble to gain access to a cellar, the people within would start to panic in silence. They could hear the scraping of stones and iron being moved around and feared that it was the enemy forces trying to get inside. A woman laid her hand over her child's mouth and her husband held them both as they all fled to the opposite corner of the room. While he worked, Peng would hear a soft voice calling to him from above him. In the alley where he was digging, the store behind him had a second floor which was all but destroyed, save two walls and a portion of the roof. "Psst!" The voice called again and a young boy poked his head out. "Stop that, you'll attract the dogs!" He yelled in a whispered tone.

The boy then quickly lowered down a rope of braided dresses and and tilted his head back to beckon Peng climb up. "IHurry! Before they get us both!" He ducked back into his shambles of a home, but left the rope hanging for Peng. He could join the kid in the hiding spot, or continue to dig. There was no way of knowing which would be the faster choice.1666549402392.png

Meanwhile, Finn's endeavor proved somewhat more fruitful. The sound of his voice was enough to lure out the elderly woman who had been hiding within the shop. She shook like a leaf as she rose from behind the checkout. Her skin covered in blackened burn marks that didn't seem to be healing. "Thank the gods." She said with desperation as tears started to roll down her face. "We've waited days for someone to come save us!' She hollered in a scolding tone. Her eyes went back to an elderly man who laid on the floor by her feet, cold and unmoving. "Is it safe? Is the danger gone?" The woman approached Finn with hope in her eyes, hands outstretched to use him to balance herself.

Aerial View

Hera took to the skies just as she was instructed by the Quartermaster and right away she started noting the locations of the enemy patrols. Before she had not really taken in the presence of the enemy as she was just looking for civilians, but now she was seeing the threat and she was somewhat scared. But she had a job to do. Finding the enemy charged with patrolling the commercial district, she swiftly flew around to get their attention, making it seem as though she was stalled while waiting for her allies to catch up. Between her shadow on buzzing by and the sound of her wings on the wind, it wasn't long before the enemy spotted the winged woman.

Now it was just a matter of misleading them. She spiraled through the air, moving southward and making flashy gestures with her arms as if signaling the party to move away from the enemy. Without hesitation the foreign soldiers rushed southward, veering off their set path in the hopes of catching their targets off guard. The plan was working.

South Gate

The woman had shut her eyes, dreading the pain that she was about to suffer when she finally spotted the monsters standing before her. "May the gods show me mercy..." She heard a thud and then a slamming. Her eyes shut open and she watched the two canine's erupt into clouds of smoke. All that remained was...beastwoman. Quickly the lady rushed from her hiding spot. "Hurry, come on!" Her hand tugged on another and her little sister crawled out of the hay. They had bags upon their backs and with very little attention given to her, the woman nodded her head to Kristina before she and her sister started to flee for the gate. "They hunt in packs! Get out while you can!" Panic and fear carried the two girls like birds on the wind.

Kirstina would notice that the smoke which had made up the shadow mutts did not dissipate like smoke normally would. Instead it seemed to pool together in the air before flying towards the castle. From her current position on the south side of the residential area she was fairly distant from the enemy patrol charged with the district, but they would see the smoke and know what had occurred. It wouldn't be long before the area was swarmed with enemies. She would need to keep moving, and be careful.

Elvario Elvario Dante Verren Dante Verren Novama Novama RavenSong RavenSong Orikanyo Orikanyo eloise eloise slifer37 slifer37 conman2163 conman2163

Kristina
sample-b27ca058dce16a85b6608d4a24a7df5e.jpgFalling upon the creatures Kristina drove her knife into the first one surprisingly she met little resistance. Almost immediately its body dissipated into smoke, it wasn't what she expected but she didn't let it hold her up. Just as before the other also disappeared into a cloud of smoke as she threw her knife into its head. She blinked somewhat puzzled. 'Shadow monsters that disappear when you kill em... I can get behind that.' Looking at her knife she found no blood or debris of any kind, it was a truly clean kill. With content she sheathed her knife and turned to the would be victim. The sound of movement caused her ear to twitch and at the words of the woman a young girl crawled out from the hay. Kristina stared at the girl for a moment taken aback a child was still alive in all this. At first she had planned to interrogate the woman, but seeing this... 'She probably doesn't know much anyway it would just slow me down questioning her.' She watched as they came together and ran for the gate. Giving her little more than a nod of gratitude and a warning. Kristina said nothing as she watched her and her sister rush for safety.

'Caspar if you were here, what would you have me do?' Kristina looked to the smog covered sky, her question unanswered. Then she realized the smoke in the air was thickening up. With curiosity she watched the remains of the dog monsters coalesce and rise into the air before blowing towards the castle. Its movement was unnatural and only brought forth more questions as to what happened here. 'I gotta make it to the castle...' As she began to continue her route her ears once again picked up sound. She could recognize it as the marching she had heard before, but it was growing louder and the cadence of the steps had changed. Her eyes shot back up to where the smoke had moved. 'Shit, they saw. This is what a damn bleeding heart gets you.' Her face twisted into annoyance as she picked up the pace. She creeped through the slums taking side paths and alleys to try and circumvent the enemy, though it would increase the time it took to reach the castle.

Last edited:
Retili Loxinofican
Mentioned: LadyOfStars LadyOfStars Torrin eloise eloise Marcellus

Retili took a moment to study the man who had approached with Torrin. Anger still danced in his eyes as he looked the man up and down. There was a clear familial resemblance between the two, even without the words between the two to confirm it. Retili folded his arms at the presumed scolding and fixed the newcomer with a quiet look while he spoke, before returning his gaze to Torrin. His gaze hardened again even as he watched Torrin crumple. He considered having the man sent back to Linneus for a moment. Then he quietly appraised his value to the Count. Torrin was a scornful loudmouth who treated people despicably but he had a great role to play when aiding Linneus. The man clearly needed an advisor capable of navigating the game of politics and able to stand his ground until he could grow to do it on his own. Not only that but Retili took a moment to mentally appreciate the fact that he did not really know Torrin in any great depth. He had been assuming this would be a verbal spar that would only possibly end with Torrin taking overall command of the camp and he continuing on with controlling the work details until Peng returned but Torrin had folded. He sighed mentally and adopted a less confrontational posture and tone. "We'll forget this happened Lord Torrin." He purposefully used the title. It was the simplest olive branch he could extend that allowed them both to save face. Hopefully Torrin would understand the gesture. He turned to the messengers who had approached and handed off the letters then turned back to Torrin and Marcellus. "In the meantime perhaps you both can offer some insight on the local terrain. Quartermaster Peng is quite rightly focused on the rescue efforts but there are other issues to consider. While he is in the city I think you would agree it is our duty to consider these problems and ." He strode back into the tent and pointed at the local map. Now that most had left it felt quite barren but it felt good to get out of the sun. Retili was almost certain that he would develop a light sunburn despite his short time out in the light. "Is there any outlying villages close to here? We could perhaps draw in local levies to assist if they've been unaffected. I just sent off messages to the Count and Baron Shimeji asking for a vanguard of troops to be sent to assist, but at best they will be days away and none of the survivors here seem to be fit enough to fight. Not only that but we'll need to concern ourselves with the immediate defense of this camp. I don't think a few tents and some firepits will be able to hold anything back if we suffer a determined assault by even a small force. Perhaps there is some more readily defensible terrain nearby? I am prepared to consider moving the camp if it will keep the people safer in it." He looked to Torrin first. Then he appraised Marcellus. "Master Fachnan if you have any insight or advice to be offered it would be appreciated."

Regula

Truth be told, Regula was rather intrigued by this Fell talk. Parallel planes, dark reflections, weird spawning entities. It was all rather new to her and she was curious where he'd learned all this, but now was not the time to ask. โ€œI'm assuming things only get worse if they're not dealt with? That means we'll have to deal with things at the castle sooner rather than later. My tremorsense is also suggesting the castle is where the enemy is most active in piling up corpses. Could it be that they're using them to strengthen the curse or open up more of a gateway between here and this Fell plane? Also, is there anything in particular we should be weary off when dealing with Fell-based entities that you know off?โ€ Any information on their enemies would likely prove useful.

She listened to his team-talk for a bit. It made sense, but she had some reservations. She felt like their group was the strongest and likeliest to deal with whatever Fell entity was causing havoc before it was too late. Perhaps she was underestimating the others though. She clicked her tongue at Michael's mention of saving survivors. โ€œI was worried we'd risk confrontation whilst evacuating civilians and would only end up causing more casualties, but between my tremorsense and your sight skills, we should be able to avoid them with ease.โ€ On the topic of that, she'd make sure to use tremorsense again to stay on top of any enemy movements she could sense.

She was also on board with getting into the sewers, even though the smell here was already getting to her, it'd be a worthy sacrifice. โ€œI'm not able to move buildings, I'm afraid, but I am capable of opening up a Pocket Dimension that might be useful in removing debris or moving small groups of civilians that cannot move well on their own. I'll have to check if the Fell Blight is affecting it though...โ€ She said, as she checked ifs he could open the Pocket Dimension to its usual dimensions or if it was a lot smaller than normal.

As they headed for the sewers, Regula made sure to use [Muffle] to dampen any noise they'd end up making. They tunnel was short enough for Regula to have to crouch down, which brought her nose closer to the unpleasant scents coming from whatever was flooding through here. Upon reaching the intersection, she'd once again use tremorsense. For one, to figure out which direction was likeliest to have civilians to be rescued. Secondarily, to figure out what in the world she was hearing. She grabbed her dagger, not wishing to use her gun in this confined space at risk of blowing up the entire tunnel. She figured she likely wouldn't have to warn the others that something might be coming, as they'd likely felt the same thing as her.

Muffle C โ€“ Magic Affinity C, Silencing Affinity C, Magic Range D, Magic Targets D โ€“ Muffles the sounds of 10 targets within 100 feet - Grade C โ€“ 3 Post Cooldown.
Tremorsense C - 1 mile radius โ€“ 1.6 kilometre - A creature with tremorsense is sensitive to vibrations in the ground and can automatically pinpoint the location of anything that is in contact with the ground.

Peng Deming,
Interactions: LadyOfStars LadyOfStars Orikanyo Orikanyo
3073b1b9c1442dd31af153ce979a833a.jpg

Peng listened to Finn's rambling for a moment and surprisingly found he agreed with him. Situations like these were often the fault of the corrupt higher ups with no concern for those who they commanded. That notion brought an ember of anger to his chest, an ember that threatened to make him lose his cool. The connection of corruption and destruction was bringing up old war memories. Memories he'd rather not have while he was trying to partake in a rescue operation.

He stopped and staired at the rope before him, before standing up. His quiet demeanor had played against him. Of course these people would be worried about random digging. "You can relax a little, anyone who can here this. I am Peng, quartermaster of lord Linneas. I am here to help. Be cautious, but you don't have to hide. Whether it be dogs or soldiers, we will protect you. " As he spoke he kept his voice even and toned down a little. It was loud enough that he figured those around him but he hoped not loud enough that it would carry too far. As he had told them, it was a good idea to be cautious.

Finnegan
64b5bc45b0e91149ef2a60c4a3418918.jpg

"We've just arrived, we're a forward force to extract survivors.." Finn spoke softly, giving a light finger to his mouth. "I'm one of the knights sent... we know little of the ongoing situation, but we are fighting back, and helping as many as we can get out of the devestation..." he spoke softly, trying to explain abit as he could... Though.. it wasn't fully true.. he was not one of the knights... But... In the very least it may be helpful to state it.

"Others are outside, and we've an ally flying above.. Is there anything you can tell me about the situation? Whats keeping you hidden...?" he paused to consider her for a moment, then the motionless old man. "...We have to do this calmly and correctly, lest any danger comes your way when we want to take you out safely. Can you walk? Is... There.. Any others as well..?" he spoke softly and clearly, but in a hushed whisper, his eyes oft glanced to the outside, spotting.. movement...? the peng person was dealing with something, and someone. he would have been happy to have another bit of back up with that canine woman...

But alas...

Michael, Hero of Osun
Post Listenings:
Cooldowns: N/A till combat starts
OOC: Blue sight to avoid getting bushwacked by something.
Mentions: LadyOfStars LadyOfStars RavenSong RavenSong Elvario Elvario
TLDR: dropping a short thing. been busy. May fill in more later if time appears.

u1UbBCf.jpg
Keeping Blue Sight on nearly all the time now that they were in dangerous territory, Michael would accompany the group in. At the sound of something approaching, it was either farther than 100ft away or not something he could get any readings on. Either way, it didn't sound good. Not reading anything above them, Michael would opt to take the left exit.

"I don't know what that is, but I don't want to be here to find out,"

Michael called to them, to antsy to answer Regula's thoughts, then muttered about ghosts under his breath as he headed to the light near the exit.

ability stuff:
  • Blue Sight - Appraisal E, Supersense: Infrared Visions E, Feature: Darkvision F, Sixth Sense: Mana Vision F, Energized E, Medicine F, Arcana F - See Mana Flows, temperature variations, and appraise targets within 100ft to perceive basic arcane and medical information - Grade E - 0 post cooldown.

Konpaku.Youmu.600.2125213-2.jpg
โ€œInteresting..โ€ The war maiden stated bluntly at mention of the horrors that were being piled inside the castle. The thought that something was amassing energy through piling corpses was telling of some kind of foul magic, a thought she would rather not assume for the time being, โ€œ..I fear the worst.โ€

Aria followed closely behind Michael, scanning the walls for some kind of entrance. It wasnโ€™t until they got closer to the drain however that Arias sense of smell would be assaulted. She sniffed a bit before her eyes revealed her displeasure, shaking her head. However, she wouldnโ€™t say a word until they were within safe distance from the exit.

Crouching through the sewers, knives in hand, Aria looked back then forward. Perhaps she was feeling a bit claustrophobic, or there was something about the growing darkness that made her a bit uneasy.

Once the group was at intersections, her eyes turned to face their options. It seemed the others were getting some details due to their foresight and mastery of various skills. Aria could only admire and feel like a bit of a novice in this situation. However, her eyes were keen, and her knives sharp. As ready as sheโ€™ll ever be.

Looking towards the others, โ€œHmm, three ways to go, seems like this one..โ€ pointing towards the left tunnel, โ€œ..might get us right into the heart of the district, however..โ€ she pointed to the center, โ€œ..this one seems like a mystery to me, I havenโ€™t been inside this castle, itโ€™s hard to say..โ€

She pondered few moments before her ears suddenly buzzed with details, turning her gaze behind her quickly. โ€œSomething is in here with us..โ€ turning towards the others, โ€œ..quick, what will it be?โ€ Then Michael made his move, turning left, Aria dashed closely behind. Arriving at the exit of the left tunnel.

Last edited:
Marcellus Fachnan

Marcellus resisted the sudden and heavy urge to sigh, instead opting to adopt an expression of earnest understanding. Because really, he did understand. While his brother conceding to both of their arguments was a wonderful thing, having to embarrass him in order to get that acknowledgment wasn't something that felt as good. With everything that has happened and is currently still happening at the present stage, emotions running high aren't exactly unexcepted. However, it is those same emotions that have the potential to tremendously impend any future efforts at relief or rebuilding. So they needed to be kept in check, by everyone. After all, it's not just those leading said efforts who need to reign in any of their complicated feelings before focusing on important matters.

He bit back the slightest of teasing smiles at Torrin's reluctant yielding to Master Loxinofican, the man whose face he could finally put a name to. This was preceding excellently, for the most part anyway. It was completely fine if they didn't like each other. Who said they needed or had to? There are just some feats in life that cannot be accomplished without some sort of divine intervention or a miracle act. But it was at least required of them to be able to tolerate each other. Anything else like socializing or being in each other's presence for a period longer than necessary was entirely up to both of them alone.

Marcellus listened to the scribe talk, quietly soaking up what was being divulged to him like a sponge as they began heading back toward the tent, then once inside, followed Loxinofican's finger pointed straight toward the local map. For a paused moment, he allowed himself to think about the questions asked in order to formulate a properly structured answer. "The only close ones, whom I could think possible to reach within the rough estimate of a few hours are the villages of Sootspire and Kirkwall." He responded, stretching out a finger of his to direct attention to the two drawn-out villages on the map to the east of Yemaya. The revelation that they needed to concern themselves wasn't a surprising one. Someone had to be truly sheltered and possess a special pair of rose-colored glasses to actually think that their practically defenseless camp would be safe from any outside threats. An unfortunate reality, but a reality that they nonetheless needed to be absolutely prepared for.

Regarding the inquiry of whether or not there was readily defensible terrain nearby, he simply let his silence answer that, eyes falling on Torrin in a questioning manner instead. Anything relating to the affairs of battles and wars were not his forte. Or at least, it hadn't been when he was being taught by tutors on his father's dime. The art and way of the sword had never interested caught his interest, his palms were soft, uncalloused, and usually occupied by books for a reason.

LadyOfStars LadyOfStars
conman2163 conman2163

Code by Serobliss

South Gate

The alleyways Kristina found herself in would be littered with remains and debris from toppled buildings. The evidence of what happened here laying all around her. She would narrowly avoid the enemy unit as it arrived to the site of her encounter only to find no signs of anyone present. Relentless in their search, they would spread out, doubling their efforts to hunt down survivors or intruders. But the wolf-kin was safe for now, her feet carried her around the enemy to what appeared to be a courtyard. From her on the homes were of a finer quality, still destroyed and tarnished, but their former glory easy to imagine.

She would find herself under an archway that cloaked her in shadow and led into the courtyard from he street. If she looked across the quiet space she would see the castle was not far now. but she would also catch the scent of burning flesh upon the air. Strong and potent suggesting it was not too far. Despite the stench she would not she a single plume of smoke rising into the air. Yet as the wind blew into the courtyard from the west, she would be able to gleam a direction. The broken homes around her would be easy to enter and could grant her better views to survey the area if she were curious enough.. But her true destination was not far now, just straight ahead and all that she desired might be within reach. Whichever path she chose to take she would be sure to face some modicum of danger, but if she was cautious and patient, she may be able to avoid it.

Residential Sewers

In the sewers the group would find that they were not alone as the wind that they heard and felt was now accompanied by the sound of splashing water. Regula's vigilance in reducing the groups noise would assist in hiding them for the time as the sound of wind and water would not start to move in their direction yet, but still resounded through the tunnels. Unfortunately her tremorsense would reveal nothing to her in the tunnels. However, she would catch a glimpse of civilians, wounded and not in the building above them which they would be able to gain access to through the hatch before them. She would be able to count a dozen bodies at most, of varying sizes.

As Michael suggested that they make their exit and his idea was supported by Aria, the duo would move towards the riverbed once more. Regula would be aware of the movement of the enemy unit as they headed south and started to split up. This meant the streets above the trio were vacant and safe to traverse if they chose to go that way.

Unfortunately the presence of Aria and Michael in the exit opening would open them to currents of wind that moved through the tunnels and their scent would be wafted through the cisterns. This would catch the attention of the other presence in the muck and mire with them. The sound of movement from deep within the tunnels would speed up, now reminiscent of a predator hunting its prey. And then they would hear a cry, but not one of agony, one of hunger and their enemy would come into view.

1666905761057.png
The stench of death grew as the monster came into sight and Michael's eyes would finally be able to reveal to him what they gazed upon. A Fell Beholder. It's giant eye darted about, quickly assessing the three before them and as if to challenge them, it let out another cry, it's teeth appearing like stars from within the darkness of its sludge-like body. Just as it bared its fangs to the knights of Sol, a dark energy started to swirl in front of the giant eye. The green waves of energy corrupted and decayed the stones around it and after only a few seconds, the beholder fired a beam so large that it pressed against the walls of the sewer as it carved its way toward Michael and Aria.

• Corrupting Blast - Magic E, Fell Affinity F, Magic Range F, Blight [Poison] F - Fires a beam of Fell energy at a target with the power to carve through stone. Targets hit will be afflicted with Fell Blight and poison if they live. E Grade

Titles: N/A
Lore: Agents of a fell creature of greater power, often used as scouts in areas lacking of light. These monsters are swift and capable of concealing their presence with invisibility. They can become powerful magic users if given time to grow.

1666933478883.pngCommercial District

The voice of a friend would bring joy to the trapped civilians down below and smiles stretched across their faces. Without second thought, the daughter pryed herself free of her parents grasp and raced to the door. Her small fists gently knocked upon it to reply to Peng's words.

The boy would poke his head back out the window once more and see that Peng had started talking to the people who were trapped below. "Are you really sent here by the Count?" The boy asked softly. "If you are then you should know there's a sewer that runs under most of the city. Some of us kids play it in, but it isn't as vast in this area. Less tunnels. They connect to some of the store fronts and you can use them to get in and out of buildings, but there are things down there." There was fear hidden behind the boy's faรงade of strength as he kept his head down and his voice low.

Finn's discovery was not as well mannered nor as strong as the boy that Peng had encountered. In fact, when he put his finger to his lip to emphasize the need for silence, she quickly raised her hand and gave him the middle finger. "You think I don't know the danger that lurks out there?!" Frustration was clear in her voice and upon her face. "Those invaders...they showed up out of nowhere." She pressed her palm against the checkout counter and leaned back a little bit. "One minute we were picking ourselves up off the floor...the explosion." She said as she waved her hand dismissively. "Then they were here. Those...soldiers just showed up as if out of thin air. How could so many of them get in to the city so fast and why were they not affected by the blast?"

Her eyes turned to the man that laid dead on the floor. "My husband got us to this shop, but not before one of those soldiers took a swing at him. He didn't stand a chance." She slowly turned her gaze back to the young blond and nodded her head. "I know I have to leave him behind...it's not easy, but I'll follow you. Just get me out of this hell please." The old woman was tired and struggling to hold together a broken heart.

1666933462781.pngCampsite

The camp had simmered down and with the cooling of heads, returned to proper function. Torrin, emotionally and mentally drained, followed behind Retili and his brother as the conversation moved to the tent. Seeing Marcellus join in the conversation in any capacity made Torrin proud. He had always thought that it would be a very long time before he saw his brother in any position of leadership, but perhaps the time might come much sooner. "My brother is right about the nearby villages. it would take several hours to reach them and we would then have to hope that they are not afflicted by the same threat."

Torrin placed his hands on the edge of the table and leaned forward to look over the map. Old memories played back in his head, the days of his youth and the time spent roaming around the city's exterior. "There is a hill not far from here, we could move there and watch over the plains." His finger trailed across the map to a hill-like shape a thousand or so feet away. "Moving the camp shouldn't be too difficult since most of the survivors have been treated, we have the soldiers on guard duty, and I know a few things just in case."

It had been a very long time since he used any magic, but it was not something that you forgot. "If we move the camp, we would also have to notify the Quartermaster and the knights, otherwise they'll be returning with or sending survivors out to the wrong location. How do we do that?" Torrin looked to Retili and then to Marcellus.

Dante Verren Dante Verren Novama Novama Elvario Elvario RavenSong RavenSong Orikanyo Orikanyo EMIYAman EMIYAman eloise eloise conman2163 conman2163 slifer37 slifer37

Regula

As Michael and Aria pressed on, Regula's attention was caught by something. She noticed some movement in the building above them. Likely civilians. She was about to call the other two about it when she noticed wind move through the tunnels. Had they already moved that much further away from her? She clicked her tongue, wondering if she should hurry and catch up. Yet there could be civilians right here and Michael himself had agreed they should focus on saving them. She sighed. Civilians it was.

Noticing how the enemy patrols were moving away, she decided to make for the hatch... only to notice the newcomer. And the beam-thing-attack it sent right at them. She knew getting caught up on that would be bad news, so she instinctively activated [Boots of Hermes C] to jump back into the tunnel they came from and get away from the hatch and out of the odd creature's attack range. With the force and speed of her jump she had to run a bit across the ceiling and down across the walls to get the speed and force back out without crash-landing herself through the bricks, but luckily she had the movement skills to do so on these boots.

As she landed back on the floor, she would reach for her dagger. Her gun was too much for this situation, as she feared she'd blow up the ceiling and bury them all, but she was more than ready to stand by and help out Michael and Aria, should the need arise. For now, however, without having vision on them and their movements, she would instead stand by to see their reactions first. That said, she surely hoped they hadn't been caught up by that blast. โ€œAre you two alright!?!โ€ She'd call out, before checking back through the tunnel. With how much noise that thing's attack had made, it wouldn't surprise her if more of those bastards were to show up. However, if they thought in these tunnels, they'd risk crashing them down and making it more difficult to smuggle civilians back through them. On the other hand, if there were more of these things in the sewers, they weren't a safe way to transport civilians to begin with.

She realised she was already plotting way far ahead before their current opponent had been beaten. Was the that confident Aria and Michael would make short work of it? Even she herself couldn't say for sure, but she did know that she needed to check the tunnel she was in to ensure there wouldn't be more of these things sneaking up on them, being drawn in by the noises of the first.

Boots C-grade CD (0/3)
Boots of Hermes โ€“ Fast C, Jumping C, Water Speed C, Special Movements F: Wall Running, Wall Bouncing, Ceiling Bouncing, Uneven Terrain Running, Ledge Running โ€“ No matter the terrain, the user can traverse it quickly and with some impressive jumping to top it off. - Grade C โ€“ 3 Post Cooldown

Finnegan
994e5a56adbc264ae5b051e5ac264a93.jpg
...He remembered.. the days when he lost his father.. Snapping at the smallest thing, intent on... Anger at everyone in his way... Greif takes its toll, no matter what... Shes been here three days, she said... Three days of waiting, watching, fear, grief and agony of being unable to help her husband... His mind thought of it.. taking a blow... He probably tried to protect her as they ran.. or maybe it was bad luck..? he didn't know.

But he hoped he was resting well, Finn felt he should do his best, at least for this fellow.

"I understand, gods willing we'll get you out of here... I'll remember this store front, by my honor he shall have a burial." he spoke with a low determination, looking to the old man upon the ground once more, before giving a long nod. "Lets head outside, if you need help walking please speak up." Finnegan led the way out of the store, eyeing the surroundings and keeping ready to strike out upon any beast or soldier that appears.. He spies Peng across the way, giving a wave and a raised singular finger.

"One here, and I think our scout has spotted something, shes making moves." Finn looked skywards to the winged woman. "...Guess it wasn't a bad plan then. hopefully it keeps up. May have to bring her a beer after this." he turned to try and help the old woman out if she needed it, in truth, he wasn't in the mood.. or really current place to argue. "Tactician, found something?" he spoke up to the other in the party, eyeing the.. Area...

"..Right... The canine woman went off elsewhere... Guess she was a merchant in the end..." he can't blame folks for not being able to fight, or enter the dangerous places as he does.

Konpaku.Youmu.600.2125213.jpg
As she followed diligently behind Michael, the horrible screeching windy sound grew, until it made itself known to them. Aria gasped, as the silhouette of this otherworldly creature revealed its almost gaseous, tendril body surrounded by various eyes and a larger one at its center.

Aria drew her sword, pointing it at the fiend as it appeared to evaluate them with a threatening sound.

It seemed they'd reached the hatch, but with this monster making itself present it'd be much riskier to simply get out not knowing what could be on the other side. Perhaps others were now listening to the commotion the eye creature was making. However, she did what she could to suppress any sound emitting from her movements, but at this point it almost seemed useless.

As if on queue, this Fell beast launched its foul attack. Resisting the temptation to strike the attack down with her katana, would likely result in burns or fatally poisoned due to the nature of the assailment. Aria instead sprinted a few steps towards the poisonous blast, [Teleporting F - 10ft] and reappearing beyond the attack on the other side of its trajectory. (Action 1. Movement)

Having dodged, Aria would dash forward, using [Teleport Strike] disappearing and reappearing within range of the Eye Ball Fiend, bringing the sharp katana down upon this surprise opponent. Only a small grunt, would emit from the war maiden. Somehow hoping their cover could still be somewhat intact to the world above them. [Action 2. Attack]

• Teleport Strike - Fighting Style - Swords F - (Bleeding F) - Teleport F 10ft - Energized E - Steady Hands E - Teleports within a 10ft distance of target before slashing target with equipped blade. Grade E - 0 Cooldown (Energized E)

Then with calculated strength, leaning to her right to leverage her balance due to having to crouch to follow up with another slash of her sword,

(Action 3. Attack)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back