• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Graded [Bishri City] A Duel of Fates

saxon

One Thousand Club
Hello everyone, this RP is set in the world of Isekai Hell; you can find information about the world here.

This Rp follows two people as their is a meeting of the fates where the Syncretist Church and the Church of Holfeel are about to meet.
Setting:
Location(s): Holfeel Basilica, Bishri, Fae See
Time of Day: 10:00 AM
Weather: The sun was high in the sky there was a warm breeze coming from the south.
Goal: The Ceylan has come to learn more about the Goddess Holfeel and see if she would be possibly added to the Syncretist Church.
Interactions/Mentions: Elvario Elvario
Notes: Please link your character Sheet in your first post

After the events of her revival, Eris had been given several gifts she was revived, being the most important one of these, but she was also named a hero of the Fae See, which held its own perks in itself. On top of that, she was given vestments that glowed in the dark now; there would be light in even the darkest of places. Besides that, the title of hero did have its own perks as she established a basilica for her goddess; though it was empty and devoid of others, she was going to change that.

Though much of the fae still held onto their pantheon, she was determined to at least gain a few followers in the process of this. So what did she do in the busy capital of Bishri, well, that was simple, she stood at the front gates by the street and would talk to the people passing by. "Hello, would you be interested in learning about the Goddess Holfeel, the goddess of Reincarnation and guide of souls?" She inquired as a few people took the flyers she passed out to them before moving along. Though so far, no one had really stuck around though at least they were taking the flyers she was handing out to those who passed.

Holfeel Basilica.png
That was when an idea dawned upon her, a child-like smile appeared on her face as she pushed a box over by the entrance and then stood upon it. Clearing her throat, she tapped the butt of her staff on the ground twice. "Book of Tylaith verses 1 through 9, out walked Holfeel clad in bright light and out she led us from the darkness. Through her light, the tide of our luck had changed. No longer were we the ones running, but in fact, we were now reclaiming our lives. Blessed are those who walk in the light and know of the goddess," Eris paused a moment as a small group of people started to gather around the box at least, she had gathered the attention. "The book of Lavicus verses 3-9 states, There we stood in complete darkness and as it was about to swallow the world. There was a bright light, a light that pushed back the darkness as it guided out those who followed; a woman met them at the end of their path, and she said, dear children, follow me, for I am always with you." Eris recited from memory as she cleared her throat.

Looking around, there were several confused faces, "The Goddess Holfeel teaches us that wherever there is darkness, the light will surely follow. We ourselves who bask in the light shall return to the cycle. We are all brought to her and then returned in our next life. To which you will be reunited with your loved one." Eris stated as she shifted her gaze around the group. "The Goddess makes that solemn promise one of the most sacred promises that we are given by her," Eris stated as she pulled out her book of the texts that she was given by her goddess.

Eris flipped through several pages until she came to the verse she was looking for, though she could quote it from memory. She was using the text for more effect, "Book of the Begining Verse 1-8, Those joined by body and soul shall never know the sorrow of loneliness, nor shall they be without one another. For the cycle will continue and will fear not for you shall find one another in the next cycle for that my children, I promise you." Eris recited before closing the book. "For those who wish to know more feel free to enter the basilica, there may not be much but the building is complete. I look forward to leading you if you choose to follow my goddess," Eris concluded as she then stepped off the box as some of the people walked through the gates and onto the basilica's campus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ceylan
Mentions: Eris saxon saxon

Fate was a strange thing. His own fate had brought him back to the See once more. This time, he wouldn't be dealing with the Fae directly though, which was a relief. Instead, he managed to find his way towards a very peculiar building. The Holfeel Basilica in the See's capital. Considering what he knew about the See's deities, this felt out of place. Almost like an attack on their believes and political structure. It only made things more brave and intriguing though. As he finally found the place, he could see Eris reciting verses in front of it. Although he recognised her, that was about it. He hadn't spoken all that much to her before and remembered even less of it.

”Good morning.” He said, as he wondered if she'd even recognise him. “Could I have a moment of your time, please?” He asked, deciding not to immediately dive straight into it. “In private, if possible.” He added, trying not to sound shady or suspicious.

crop.jpg
Stepping off the box she heard a familiar voice turning around she saw she saw the dog priest that she hadn't seen in a long time. Smiling she turned to face Ceylan, "Ah Ceylan is has been a while, some would say an entire life time ago in more ways than one," Eris chuckled as she motioned for Ceylan to follow her into the basilica. "Though I hadn't expected you to come here, it has been awhile since you came to the fae when we were looking for a tree of some kind I believe and we cleansed that lake," Eris pointed out walking down the main path and into the main building.

The entry hall was empty there was no furniture as of yet as the building had only recently gotten completed and there had been no time or the funds for the time being to fill the place up. Turning right to a set of doors she pushed them open revealing stone stairs leading up to the next floor of the basilica. "So what brings you here? Surely something important if you have traveled this far into the fae see," Eris jabbed a bit trying to see what he would reveal on their way to an office.

The priestess started to hum to herself as she opened another set of doors and then made another right into a decent-sized room which she planned on making into an office when she had the time. The walls were engraved with several designs and images some of a woman holding a lamp and others of a lantern that seemed to be illuminating light. Stopping in the center of the room Eris turned to face Ceylan.

"I would offer you a seat but admittedly there has been time to get furniture placed in the basilica as of yet, so what did you want to speak about?" Eris inquired as she leaned on her staff.

Elvario Elvario

Ceylan

His tail made a slow wagging motion upon Eris recognising him, as the appendage was always more excited about something like that than he'd otherwise put on display. Even so, he couldn't help raising an eyebrow at her comments. “Is that in regards to your goddess being one of rebirth?” He honestly wasn't quite sure if it was an inside joke or something more formal, but the comment definitely stood out to him. “Last time was indeed rather unsuccessful, although I admit I used the portals this time, to go straight to the capital rather than to wander the edges.”

Curiosity got the better of him, so he looked around as he followed Eris. The rooms were a bit echoey, probably due to being large and mostly empty, so he figured he'd best keep his voice down, lest the entire basilica learned of what he was here to talk about. “The Syncretist Church is debating to incorporate Holfeel into the pantheon of benevolent deities. However, they wish to have more information first. As part of that process, they asked me to interview one of Holfeels' followers directly.”

Even though the report he'd end up writing based on what he learned here would only be part of the overall process, it could be the make-or-break piece in the overall debate. It's why he felt an odd kind of nervousness at the task. Still, if he wanted to become a bishop, a bit of nervousness would be the least of his concerns. “As you may know, us Syncretists do not worship a single deity, but instead spread the gospel of all deities that bring about good in this world. If Holfeel is to be counted among them, we shall spread her gospel like that of the other deities and we shall allow her priests and followers to make use of some of our facilities, for as long as their gospel keeps bringing forth good, of course.”

crop.jpg

Eris at Ceylan's first question simply smirked before replying, "Well a lot has happened since we last crossed paths, but no that was just a statement. A memory I would rather forget about but that's neither here nor there." Eris looked towards a window as she brought up how he arrived at the capital. "Yeah, the portals are probably the best way to get in and out of the fae rather than wandering around. After all, another lake like we encountered could be dangerous to the lone traveler," Eris concluded as she nodded her head.

That was when Ceylan had stated why he had come to meet with her. To which she perked up as the same child-like smile appeared on her face once again. "Well there is a lot of information I could give you though, was there anything, in particular, I could enlighten you about my goddess?" Eris inquired as she walked past Ceylan back toward the door closing them to keep their discussion from being heard outside the room. Once that was done she returned to her previous spot.

"Yes, I vaguely remember you saying that when we last met, though I didn't really get a lot of information about the Syncretists. But that does make sense why worship deities that bring evil into the world." Eris stated nodding her head as she continued to listen to what Ceylan had to say on the matter. At this point, she was waiting to see what he wanted to know about in particular as she didn't want to talk his ear off for a whole day.

Elvario Elvario

Ceylan

Ceylan nodded at Eris' words, deciding not to further pry into the bad memory. Although Ceylan wasn't entirely sure that she was fully aware of what he was trying to do here, he decided to proceed regardless. He'd start off with the first, most prominent topic at hand. “I've gathered that Holfeel is the goddess of rebirth and guidance? I'd like for you to tell me more about her domain. If possible, giving some examples will help. I'd like to have an as detailed understanding as possible.” Even if Eris might not want to talk his ear off for a whole day, Ceylan was ready to get his ears talked off for a week if that was what would be needed for him to make a sound judgement.

crop.jpg

Eris nodded as Ceylan spoke, bringing her hand up to her chin for a moment. She closed her eyes as she started to gather her thoughts. "Well, then we might be for a little bit," Eris stated before clearing her throat. "As you might remember from our last discussion, The Goddess Holfeel, Goddess of Reincarnation and the guider of souls. She has often been associated with death and birth; once a soul dies, she guides that soul to her so that it might continue to its next life, which is why she is the Goddess of Reincarnation. However, it is said that the first demons created were from souls that rejected Holfeel's light in death. That their twisted ambitions corrupted their soul. While she does guide the souls as I have stated and can reject them, she is the jury she decides if the soul has been good or bad in which they are returned to the cycle or left to wonder," Eris stated as she paused for a moment walking over to a wall with a lantern engraved into it.

"With that being said, her symbol is often a lantern, and we use lanterns in many of our ceremonies. While in the form most of her followers are used to, she appears as a woman in white garb holding a lantern. Many of those who have almost crossed the door between life and death have stated the same account," Eris stated as she paused and looked toward Ceylan. "She will always beckon the soul to follow her, leading them on their journey, and if it's deemed time, they continue to follow her so they can be led to the next cycle if they pass judgment. If it is not their time, then the soul is returned to the body," Eris explained as she moved onto the next wall, which depicted a woman holding a lantern.

"Book of Lavicus verses 3-9, There we stood in complete darkness and as it was about to swallow the world. There was a bright light, a light that pushed back the darkness as it guided out those who followed; a woman met them at the end of their path, and she said, dear children, follow me, for I am always with you. Which again further goes to reinforce our image of Holfeel." Eris explained as she lightly touched the wall bowing her head for a moment before turning back to face Ceylan.

"There is one other thing I will discuss, but you wanted an example, so, take a soul of a carpenter, providing he hadn't done anything too terrible such as murdering an entire family or, I don't know, kill an entire kingdom then they are returned to the cycle and reborn again. Now, if a soul comes to Holfeel that has done that well, that soul is then stuck in the darkness for the rest of eternity. They are cast from the light and most generally turn into monsters or demons as punishment," Eris explained as she brought her hand up to her chin. "Us clergy of Holfeel gain power from our goddess, and is thus where our magic comes from. Though, as a priest yourself, I'm sure you get your magic from the same kind of source," Eris concluded as she paused for a moment.

"Now, with that being said, there are two major life events that are celebrated more than anything else in our church," Eris stated as she held up two fingers. "The first is the union of two souls in a marriage where the two souls essentially become one and are reunited in their next lives somehow. The second major event is the birth of a child, in which a soul has been returned to the world," Eris explained as she took a deep breath. "Now, is there anything I explained you wanted more detail on?" She inquired.

Elvario Elvario

Ceylan

As expected, Eris had a lot to talk about. Out of all of it, there was one point in particular that he wanted to understand better. “If it's true that Holfeel rejecting souls leads to the creation of monsters and demons, doesn't that mean she's also responsible for the suffering they cause to those that would wish to accept the light?” Out of all aspects regarding Holfeel, that was easily the one that he believed could be most problematic.

However, there was one more thing that he kept wondering about. “On that note, these believes contradict some of the general Fae religions, so I can't help wonder how you managed to open up this basilica in the capital itself.”

Finally, he wanted to give her another difficult set of questions. “Considering Holfeel focusses on rebirth, I can't help myself from wondering. What is the balance focusing on this life and focusing on where you might be guided next? Most of all, how would Holfeel look at practices such as ritualistic suicide or human sacrifice, in regards to 'guiding' them to the next life?”

crop.jpg

Eris paused for a moment as she listen to what Ceylan had to say before clearing her throat. "Well the same could be said about almost anything. Is it the father responsible for what the grown son does? Is a god of law responsible for the death cause by a law or is it the people that are to blame for reading it that way?" Eris paused for a moment as she started to pace back and forth. "With that being said Holfeel's major duties are to lead the souls to be judged and then return them to the cycle or not. What happens to the souls in the void is not under her control, can she have mercy on a soul sure there can be exceptions." Eris concluded as she listen to the next question.

"Well when you have the perks of being a hero of a country it tends to be a bit harder to just throw you out now doesn't it? Granted it may not be popular here it's not like I'm dragging people in here I simply preach the word and then those who want to know more are free to explore and gain more knowledge. Would I like them to see become followers sure but I'm not forcing anyone," Eris chuckled as she heard the final question that he had for the moment.

She paused for a moment and brought her hand to her chin as she thought for a moment.
"Well by all accounts its discouraged and seen as a taboo. But from a stand point of being judged and guided that wouldn't have an impact on the decision. The decision is simply whether have you done anything heinous or truly evil. So unless they did something like that then they would be returned to the cycle." Eris explained as she pulled out her texts and started to flip through the pages trying to see if there was anything more to it.

Mentions: Elvario Elvario

Ceylan

Eris' reply was... acceptable. Even so, he wanted to test her just a little more. “If it's true that Holfeel's rejection is what caused them to become monsters, then your comparison doesn't add up. It would be more akin to the father driving his own son insane and getting his own son ready to go on a murdering spree after the latter refused to behave before.” He knew his words were provocative, but he deemed them necessary to further his inquiry.

That said, Ceylan raised an eyebrow. “I assume that means congratulations are in order? I hadn't heard of your deeds yet.” He could only wonder what exactly she'd done for them to give such a title to a Human. “Even so, considering how much their religion is tied in with their politics, I commend you for your courage, as your evangelising is undoubtedly considered a challenge to the authority of some.”

The topic of suicide was another iffier one. “Then, I assume the act itself is not deemed heinous or evil by Holfeel?” He asked, just to confirm it. “Are you not worried that some might more easily surrender their current life to seek Holfeel's guidance before their time here ends in a more natural way?”

crop.jpg

Eris paused for a moment again as she stopped flipping the pages of the book. "When we say that Holfeel was responsible, it's meant that she denied their souls from returning to the cycle, there is not much in the scripture only that greed and evil rot the soul over time. So to say that she was the one who caused it isn't exactly right maybe by terms of association sure but she has no power to change beings directly," Eris explained as she then flipped through several more pages.

"Uh well we stopped a group of people from getting to a fae commander and well let's just say we were reborn. The spirit king himself named of heroes of the nation. But with that being said, if I didn't have that title and association then yeah more than likely I would have been run out and this building would not be standing as it is," Eris explained with a simple shrug so long as nothing bad happened it should be fine.

"The people conducting the suicide ritual would be judged heavily upon their arrival to see Holfeel. But those who simply take their life well are judged like any natural person. Though again both of those are taboo and while nothing forcibly prohibits it, it is very much strongly held that you should not take part in either," Eris concluded.

Ceylan

The answer he was given were satisfactory. Perhaps not perfect, but nothing was. “I believe I've got a good enough grasp on the theological aspects. However, I'd like to ask a few more practical questions.” He said, as it was time to get to some of the more formal and boring stuff. “For example, to what extend, if at all, does Holfeel require her followers to be monotheistic?” The latter was probably also the most prominent question, considering the whole Syncretist deal.

“Besides that, I'd also like to know an estimate of the current number of followers, which of the races or nationalities are most inclined to follow her and some practice examples of what is being done in her name outside of evangelising. For example, does the church of Holfeel affiliate or support any charity-aid or attempt to influence local or global politics?”

That'd be a lot of the bookkeeping to be done. “Of course, if you have any questions about the Syncretist Church, I'd be happy to answer them in turn.”

crop.jpg

Eris brought her hand to her chin and closed her eyes for a moment. "Really only the clergy are required to be monotheistic as that is where we draw upon our magic from," Eris explained as she put away the book in her other hand. "Though other than that there isn't really anything that says anything about it," Eris concluded as she nodded her head.

"Well as I stated before Holfeel isn't the most popular of goddesses, though the followers can be from anywhere really. As to a number, not a great number, I'm currently trying to build that up but not very many. As for charity if we are able to help yes, though as it stands right now we are more focused on setting up shop sort to speak," Eris paused for a moment.

"Well I suppose I could explain the marriage ceremony. Once both parties lock hands, the clergy doing the ceremony will give both parties a lantern to hold, which is the symbol of Holfeel at which point a cloth is placed over the hands. Symbolizing the eternal bond even if one dies before the other, Holfeel will reunite the two in the next cycle. Then one party starts the vow, 'Upon this day I accept that my soul will be bound to said person's name, that we will be reunited in the next life. That even if it takes 1000 years or 1000 more, we will find a path back to one another." Eris paused for a moment as she cleared her throat.

"At which point the cloth is removed and the lantern is then lit once both parties state the vow. The clergy then recites this, 'Book of the Begining Verse 1-8, Those joined by body and soul shall never know the sorrow of loneliness, nor shall they be without one another. For the cycle will continue and will fear not for you shall find one another in the next cycle for that my children, I promise you. Then the ceremony is complete," Eris explained.

Eris glanced at the ground for a moment as Ceylan spoke. "I assume the other faiths you added to your group has maintained their own independence correct?"

Ceylan

Most of what Ceylan heard wasn't problematic, but he'd still want to double-check a few things. “Just to be absolutely sure, the clergy can acknowledge the existence and influence of other deities, but are merely asked not to worship them?” Eris' reply about the numbers was rather vague, which suggest the religion was indeed a fledgeling one. More problematic, perhaps, was that the religion might lack signs of tangible acts of good in the world. That didn't mean they wouldn't have any in the future though. “As for charity, how would you ideally see Holfeel's guidance be used to aid people?”

As Eris explained the marriage ceremony, it reminded Ceylan of something. “Would you happen to have a copy of your sacred texts for me to study? If you have a written version of those instructions for Holfeels rituals and ceremonies, I'd appreciate having that as well. I'll make sure they'll be accurately added to the Syncretist's archives.”

The return question was a bit odd to him. “Your group” sounded rather distant and almost a bit insulting. He hoped she didn't mean it like that. “Although the Syncretist Church hopes to eventually assimilate all religion into one, we recognise that this can only be done when the deities themselves are also willing to assimilate into one pantheon. As such, we welcome any and all level of cooperation and assimilation, while we respect those that wish to continue to maintain their own distinct identity. Furthermore, whilst we may on occasion ask for aid, resources or cooperation, we do not seek to steer those that align with us into a certain direction other than to ensure they won't stray from acts that lead to more good in the world. To that extend, I will admit that we are selective in which efforts we support.”

He'd probably do better to explain the latter statement. “For example, the Syncretist Church does not support deities of war and their worshippers when they merely strive for honour and glory, but we do support them when they set out on a campaign to rid the world of a dangerous monster infestation, such as those trying to hold back the bugs at the border of The See and East Empire. Similarly, we do not unequivocally support deities of lust and their followers, but we would work with them to try and support a healthy level of child-birth and would selectively aid those to whom the aspect of love is present the most.”

He hoped that explained things well enough. “Do you have any other questions?”

crop.jpg

Eris cleared her throat, "The Clergy can acknowledge the existence of other deities but are only to worship Holfeel herself. In fact its commanded that they only worship her in the texts." When the question of Charity was brought up Eris smiled and folded her arms across her chest. "What the plan is once we can fully support it would be to assist the poor with food, clothing, and a roof over their head," Eris concluded. "Holfeel may be the Goddess of Reincarnation and Guider of Souls but that doesn't mean she does want the living to live until their time is up," Eris explained.

"Well I have started to make copies but they are not fully finished yet, though if you were to come back tomorrow then I would be able to give you a copy of the texts which has the practices all in one," Eris explained as she dropped her hands to her side.

Eris nodded her head as Ceylan explained. "Ah well, that is good. We see nothing wrong with Holfeel being added to your church's pantheon. However, we will be remaining independent at least for the time being," Eris paused for a moment as Ceylan continued to speak. "Well we will assist in any way that we can if called upon to do so," Eris concluded as she cocked an eyebrow as he mentioned they were selective with their support.

"Interesting, though those do make sense. Though we do tend to be less selective so long as the act itself is not considered evil then we will try to assist in whatever capacity that we can," Eris paused for a minute as she thought about any other questions she might have. "No nothing comes to mind at the moment," Eris admitted as she shook her head from side to side.

"Do you have any other questions?" Eris inquired.

Ceylan

Once more, Ceylan nodded along. The answers were sufficient. Exclusive worship one deity, while not ideal, was allowable for as long as it was only the clergy. The same went for attempting to remain independent. Their plans for charity were a good sign that they had common goals. All in all, Ceylan felt confident he could give a positive recommendation for adding Holfleel to the Syncretist pantheon.

That said, he did have some other questions. “Truth be told, I do, although not in my official capacity as a Syncretist Priest. If you have some time left, would you mind telling me how you've been doing? You brushed over it earlier, but you went from being a wanderer in the See to being allowed to build a basilica in the capital. How did you become a Hero for this country?”

crop.jpg

Eris brought her hand up to her chin thinking about putting her thoughts in order. "Well there isn't much to tell we were defending a Fae commander against a group of assassins, though to be honest I can't really tell you the exact details of what all transpired. To be honest, I don't remember much of it though that is more for the reason I don't want to remember so I go on like some of it never happened," Eris chuckled as she moved over towards aw window and looked out.

"But other than that, I would say I am fine. There are plenty of things to keep me busy for sure," Eris concluded as she smirked before resting her head against the wall.

Isekai Hell Grade
Aftermath After the duel of fates meeting the two theologians went their separate ways, Ceylan leaving with more information on the Goddess Holfeel and a book of their practices and scriptures to further study. While Holfeel has been introduced to a small number of fae around the Basilica it is still considered a fledgling group of believers and many of its leaders have been labeled as apostates by some of the cardinal churches. Along with that some of the local population holds protesters outside the basilica.

Rewards

Ceylan - 17 points
Acquired Optional title - [Fetcher] One way or another this character has ended up on taking at least one task involving retrieving or fetching an item. Fully embracing their dog-like features. Acquired Skill - Religion B (If taken add 7 points to spent and earned)
Acquired Skill - Persuasion F (If taken add 7 points to spent and earned) Acquired optional Asset - Copy of Holfeel's scriptures and practices

Eris- 30 points Acquired Optional Title- [Apostate] This character is known to be part of a small religion that isn't considered to be the norm for one area or another. Characters with this will have a harder time dealing with established religions.

mentions: Elvario Elvario

Users who are viewing this thread

Back