Advice/Help Is This Idea Too Unfocused for an RP?

bloohued

Recently, I had this idea of a set of characters who upon becoming aware they are characters, are torn from their universe. They travel the ether, searching for a world they truly fit in, to the point where they forget they're characters. In the meantime, they hop from canon to canon, could be a real fandom, could be a made-up one, to break from the humdrum of the between.

While I loved the idea at first, I quickly realized problems will arise with the choice of canon, especially if they're of real media. Not only is there a high chance of little to no overlap of interests between me and a partner, but I'm very reluctant to play canon characters. Even ignoring that, there's still the issue of the rp turning into a meandering series of setpieces.

But what are your opinions?

I think it could potentially work as long as you're not using real fandoms. You could just make fictional equivalents to real fandoms if you want to take inspiration from real fandoms, though.

I've written meandering Roleplays before with canonical characters and I can say that it's very fun, but if you plan to use rotating setpieces, your characters should have a "home base" of sorts. It can be anything, but it'd essentially be somewhere familiar for your characters to have some downtime at the end of the day. There should also be some sort of plot to carry them along, which it sounds like you already have in the form of them searching for a world of their own. If you want to add a little more intrigue, too, it may be fun to introduce some kind of villain, like an entity who poses a threat to all known worlds or something.

I likewise think it would be  better if there was little fandom overlap between you and your partner. That way, they can learn canonical characters from you instead of the source and vice versa. I think it'd help to ease some fears about writing canonical characters because it's not like your partner would know if you were writing them "wrong" as they would only know your take on those characters. That said, I think if you're having doubts about the idea, you might wanna take a step back and reconsider before committing yourself to it.

That's my take on it, hope it may be helpful.

The part that confuses me about this is why they forget they are characters again... And if they aren't supposed to know they are, what's the point of making them forget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back