Viewpoint Is it wrong to look for GM for your RP idea?

Inferno111

Hellfire Vanguard
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Hey all, bit new to the site but an active role player for years. Seen and did lots of stuff and can say I've improved over the years. Over the years, I have seen people asking for their ideas in an roleplay, be it a fandom or an original idea. I know I have and at some point have GM'd for peoples rps. Even tho Im currently searching myself, I stopped and asked myself; Is it okay to do so?

I mean this in a way that you're looking for what YOU want to do. Even tho I am more than open to others ideas, the whole point of looking for someone to GM your idea is that its..well, your idea. I cant really explain it well but I guess to me, at least, it makes it look selfish. Not bashing anyone, everyone looks for what they want to do.
Again, sorry if Im not wording this correctly. Its just a shower thought I guess.

I am referring to 1x1 roleplays. GM/DM to me means is someone writing everything out aside the character you're playing. Taking the DM role for the rp and all that. I've actually seen some people actively searching for something like that.

Well, let me put it this way: Let's say you put an interest check saying "Hey guys, I have this cool idea, here are some details, I'm looking for someone who'd be willing to GM it"

What kind of person will volunteer? Is it someone who doesn't want to do it? Is it someone who feel it is something they have to do rather than something they think would be fun/cool/interesting to do?

It's not selfish to ask if other people are willing to GM your idea, provided you are reasonable about it (that person may want they own version of certain things, they may not run everything the way you'd like it to be run. If you can't accept that they may have different tastes, focuses, and approach than yourself, then you should GM not ask someone else to do it only to then be petty about it). After all, the people who would accept are the ones who would be interested in doing so.

Now that being said, there is something to be said of someone else running your idea, which is that it's simply in people's nature to be more interested in what they come up with than what other people come up. We're more interested in our own stuff than other people's, at least as a baseline. This presents an obstacle towards finding someone who would be willing to GM, especially considering the responsibilities involved in GMing. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, or that it would somehow be selfish, nor that it unachievable to get what you want by any means.

Well, let me put it this way: Let's say you put an interest check saying "Hey guys, I have this cool idea, here are some details, I'm looking for someone who'd be willing to GM it"

What kind of person will volunteer? Is it someone who doesn't want to do it? Is it someone who feel it is something they have to do rather than something they think would be fun/cool/interesting to do?

It's not selfish to ask if other people are willing to GM your idea, provided you are reasonable about it (that person may want they own version of certain things, they may not run everything the way you'd like it to be run. If you can't accept that they may have different tastes, focuses, and approach than yourself, then you should GM not ask someone else to do it only to then be petty about it). After all, the people who would accept are the ones who would be interested in doing so.

Now that being said, there is something to be said of someone else running your idea, which is that it's simply in people's nature to be more interested in what they come up with than what other people come up. We're more interested in our own stuff than other people's, at least as a baseline. This presents an obstacle towards finding someone who would be willing to GM, especially considering the responsibilities involved in GMing. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, or that it would somehow be selfish, nor that it unachievable to get what you want by any means.

Pretty much what I am trying to ask. Tho I have my own ideas and plot I want to follow, Im more then willing to hear their ideas on what to change, improve or how to have things go along. Obviously everyone has their own interests and way of doing things.

Pretty much what I am trying to ask. Tho I have my own ideas and plot I want to follow, Im more then willing to hear their ideas on what to change, improve or how to have things go along. Obviously everyone has their own interests and way of doing things.

Well, what do you want them to do as GM? As in, of their own initiative. Cause just following your script for the story and making a few changes here or there isn't what a GM is supposed to do, heck it's not even something that would work for a roleplay at all. But depending on what you want precisely, it could be perfectly reasonable as I pointed out, to ask to see if anyone wants to GM. On the other hand, if what you're looking is stuff like support in crafting rules, reviewing characters and that logistics kind of thing, then maybe a hybrid model such as being co-GMs would be better. If you want a high degree of control though, then you'd be DMing while just leaving the work for another person.

Well, what do you want them to do as GM? As in, of their own initiative. Cause just following your script for the story and making a few changes here or there isn't what a GM is supposed to do, heck it's not even something that would work for a roleplay at all. But depending on what you want precisely, it could be perfectly reasonable as I pointed out, to ask to see if anyone wants to GM. On the other hand, if what you're looking is stuff like support in crafting rules, reviewing characters and that logistics kind of thing, then maybe a hybrid model such as being co-GMs would be better. If you want a high degree of control though, then you'd be DMing while just leaving the work for another person.

I wouldnt say 'follow the script' but like... 'heres the world, go nuts' I guess?

I guess thats what Im saying

In that case, my earlier statement stands, just say that, those who volunteer (after hearing properly about your world of course) are those who are interested, so it's not selfish to ask. Just don't be pedantic about small details in how they portray or understand the world and give them the leeway to run the RP in a way that works for them, and it should be fine.

In that case, my earlier statement stands, just say that, those who volunteer (after hearing properly about your world of course) are those who are interested, so it's not selfish to ask. Just don't be pedantic about small details in how they portray or understand the world and give them the leeway to run the RP in a way that works for them, and it should be fine.
Exactly!

I would also maybe get away from the word GM cuz that might confuse people, as in my experience it’s a term used for groups.

So just say something like ;;

hey I have a cool setting I wanna roleplay in but I need help with plot and fleshing things out.

As that more or less seems to be what you want.

I did this for an ex-girlfriend a long time ago when we were still together. She got really into Otome, “Romantic Dating Sims for Girls,” and was really into the concept. So, for several roleplays throughout our time together I RP’d a full cast for her, while she ended up actually RPing it out and figuring out which character, her MC ultimately wanted to be with.
We also did a lot of drawing together, so it made it easier to keep track, but still.

As someone who has done it multiple times, I will say it’s a lot of work to run someone’s entire world for them. Asking someone to just do it for your world might be a bit difficult on them. Having done it for my gf at the time, I can’t say I would do it again, but I don’t think it’s rude to ask.

You should probably include your potential partner in some world building if you were to do something like that. Maybe what you’re asking for is a little more cause and effect, but it’s still a lot of work for it, and for the person writing the other side it might get boring. Not because of the work, but when I RP at least, I like not knowing what’s going to happen. Not just what a character will do, but the world beyond my control which is why I like sharing this experience with partners.

In short, it’s not selfish, but it’s one of those specialized things that you will need to agree upon before hand. Putting it up as a request might yield no results, but if you never ask you’ll never known.

I am someone who has GMed for many years, and it is safe to say that I would never do it for someone else's world. Part of the trade-off for GMing is that you get to use your own ideas and do whatever you think sounds cool; being given someone else's setting pretty much eliminates all of that. I would constantly have to ask them for every single detail, deal with them getting snippity for doing something that goes against their vision of the setting, and spend most of my time feeling like I'm just writing the story for them. It would feel less like 'doing an RP' and more like 'writing glorified fanfiction for someone else'. What's the point of leading if I can't do my own thing?

There is definitely a reason that ninety percent of GMs are working off their own, original material. Ask yourself: what is the other person gaining out of this? Why would they pick this over a collaborative setting or one they made?

In the world of RP, an attitude I am fond of is 'you want to do a specific, elaborate plot idea? you figure out how to make it work. don't wait for me to do it for you.' I wouldn't introduce a major villain into the RP and then shove it into my partner's hands for them to deal with instead. 😂

I wouldn't request someone to GM a world that I created. That is a LOT of work that the GM would have to do, and essentially it's taking the fun out of being a GM by taking the creative element away from them. I would also think it would be very unnerving for the GM, as they would have to work within the confines of a world they aren't as familiar with as you and provide a satisfactory experience.

Having said that, you can always state what you're looking for, but you might not get anyone willing to do it. And if you do, I highly recommend being flexible and understanding if the world's interpretation is different from your mind's eye.

Perhaps if you came from the angle of wanting to do a 1x1 and you have a world created, and maybe someone would be willing to learn this world and play with you instead?

It's not impossible, I think. I can see people accept this kind of request if their interest somehow aligned with each other. Though, personally, if I am to accept this kind of request. I would ask every details they want to be included, and then after that it would be MY teritory. If the other person insist on something that they didn't mention before I would bonk their head with the GM hammer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back