Other Is it weird to compliment an interest check that you're not going to join?

welian

#BlackLivesMatter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Some of y'all have these really cool roleplay concepts, or a well-written interest check, or a solid story, and like..... if I had the time, I would join. And if that were the case, I'd be in like, ten roleplays. But also I feel like that if I just drop in to say "Hey! Your thread is really cool!" then it's assumed that I'm going to join and.... I'm not.... cuz I can't.... So should I not say anything at all? Should I just ninja-like and leave? Do we even have social etiquette on this????

plz 2 dizcuz

Yeah it's weird.

Don't clutter up my threads if you aren't gonna join.

Instead, you can PM that person and say you like the idea or something. No need to make your comment public on the interest check, if you aren't going to actually join.

Bruh, that's creepy. Talking to people directly one on one? I bet you order your pizza over the phone.

I've only ever gotten PMed twice about interest checks from people who weren't joined, and they were both questions about how I coded something/if they could copy that code.

Besides, think of all the people who post in interest checks and end up not joining anyways.

I do it sometimes, but I do agree it's usually better to post a more private message, either PM or a status comment on their profile.

Like the way I sometimes comment on people's profiles telling them how cute their avatar is, cause ya know...

#CUTENESSISJUSTICE!!!

Bruh, that's creepy. Talking to people directly one on one? I bet you order your pizza over the phone.

I go to the pizza store and order a pizza in person because it's cheaper that way. Lock me up. (Also pizza is a very recent thing for me. I order normal foodstuffs online except pizza.)

Besides, think of all the people who post in interest checks and end up not joining anyways.

Guilty of this but I still get offended. In my defense, I never even get proper notifications.

I go to the pizza store and order a pizza in person because it's cheaper that way. Lock me up.
You talk to people.... IN PERSON???? What kind of sick freak are you???

Guilty of this but I still get offended. In my defense, I never even get proper notifications.
Mmmm..... yeah okay, you have a point. I too get a bit disappointed when people back out, even though it's statistically inevitable.

status comment
Ah, an ancient relic...

I wondered that myself. There were a few RPs that sounded interesting...to follow, not to join, for two main reasons: Either I did like the fandom universe but didn't feel like writing in it, or because I simply didn't think I'd be able to manage the standard of quality I want my posts to have due to real life.

I understand both sides. It's an interest check, the main point is to get people to join your RP, so anything else can be considered a useless post if the OP really wants to nitpick. You went out of your way to say you're not going to join. Why even post there then? On the other hand, sometimes it helps bringing activity to the thread, and it also might make the OP happy because someone else went out of their way to compliment the post. I don't see the harm in doing that, especially if the RP looks like it'll have a tough time even starting.

I like to post to let the OP know that, other than the people who claim they'll join, there's also someone else interested in keeping the RP going, even if they won't join. So it's one more source of advice the OP can ask if they feel like they need help with the RP's pacing, and one more person who could contribute to OOC discussion to decide future events. As for the people who say they're interested, it should be implied they will join unless stated otherwise. To me, it's worse to imply you'll join, give the OP hope, but then disappear, than to "bother" the creator just to say you're not going to join but still admire what they're trying to do. It might be what makes the OP's day.

Just time it so that your comment bumps them back up to the front page. That way you're giving 'em a compliment AND doing 'em a favor.

Not at all. It has the benefit of making the creator feel good as well as bumping their thread to attract more clicks. As to the alternative of sending a pm as opposed to an interest check post: imo public flattery generally trumps private flattery.

Last edited:
I've been wondering this too. I feel like I am a little notorious for liking someone's interest check without any intention of joining. Sometimes I think the idea is really cool and want to compliment them and, personally, I think clicking on the cookie icon is less weird than writing a blurb about how interesting someone's idea was in a PM.

Honestly, if you want to, just do it. If anything, the thread gets bumped, and it's not like you clutter the thread or anything? I always leave comment if it looks cool for me and I'd like to join but I'm not sure if I'll be able to, be it because of time or whatever. If anything, just for reference.

Personally, I sometimes do it, and I like when people do it in my search threads.
- You learn that, even if someone cannot join for a particular reason, there is a person who likes your idea or share your interest, which is always great.
- It is a free bump! Your search thread moves up and you don't have to awkwardly post in it yourself!

I find it kind of annoying unless the person states outright that they're not going to play. When someone just posts 'nice' or something, I don't know whether to include them, or whether to ask them anything etc. And as a somewhat socially awkward person, that just makes me unforgettable. If you say 'I love this idea but I'm too busy to join' or something along those lines, I see no problems with it

If you don't want to actually write a written complement, then I would think it's acceptable to like the post.

well honestly not as worse as "Creating Drama" and bullshitting on an RP that you dont join...

your intent would be weird but not Rude like some people I know .

I mean seriously the bitch I encountered Go all out in a way to disrespect and Bully people who are On a different RP just because "she can voice her opinion" ....for 3 pages

Nope. Don't think it's weird or creepy.

I compliment a dress even if I'm noot planning to take it off later that night. It's just a nice thing to say.
Not doing vice-versa in this specific example is creepy.

i've actually been giving 'great idea' likes to roleplays i think are amazing concepts!
for me personally, i would feel bad if i say, "this is such an interesting idea, but i don't think i can fully commit" to half the roleplay interest check that i think are amazing but don't have time to join / know i won't be able to keep up with the ones i have now ( especially with classes starting back up ).
i've been guilty of being very hyped on a roleplay concept but not being able to join and i always, always feel bad telling the GM that i won't be able to join. it's so bittersweet despite being polite enough to tell them i won't be able to join the fun. [ because goodness, everyone on here has such great ideas and it's like why can't i join more than one?? ugh. ]

Replies generate buzz. So I think it's not weird, because it's helpful.

Nothing is more depressing than 111 views and no replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back