Experiences Is it safe to come back?

Guess I'm out of options then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe your best option is to find a groupo with people your age.
That is a very valid suggestion. I do often find myself ostracized from the popular interests here (and on some other sites). I've wrestled with the notion that I might just be too old for this hobby, as the new blood far overpopulates the community. The common interests just aren't there.

Do you know of any? I have no idea where the 35 - 40 y/o RPers have migrated to.

That is a very valid suggestion. I do often find myself ostracized from the popular interests here (and on some other sites). I've wrestled with the notion that I might just be too old for this hobby, as the new blood far overpopulates the community. The common interests just aren't there.

Do you know of any? I have no idea where the 35 - 40 y/o RPers have migrated to.

I find Spacebattles to have a lot of RPers that indulge in fandoms you do. Lots of Warhammer particularly.

I find Spacebattles to have a lot of RPers that indulge in fandoms you do. Lots of Warhammer particularly.
tbh, I only know enough about warhammer 40k to get me into trouble. It's a very narrow and focused knowledge within the fandom. lol
And it's actually very DATED knowledge. They are on something like 9th edition, and I'm as caught up as 3rd in terms of any lore.

But I'll definitely mosey on over there and give it a look.

Thanks bunches

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you've tried it before or if it would be applicable to your case, but it might be worth suggesting. . Have you ever considered the possibility of pitching a Roleplay concept and asking someone else to GM? I'm not sure if that's a common practice here, but I've seen it here and there elsewhere on the internet. It may be a possible solution where you can still write what you want without having to herd a group of players around.

I'm not sure if you've tried it before or if it would be applicable to your case, but it might be worth suggesting. . Have you ever considered the possibility of pitching a Roleplay concept and asking someone else to GM? I'm not sure if that's a common practice here, but I've seen it here and there elsewhere on the internet. It may be a possible solution where you can still write what you want without having to herd a group of players around.
I had actually tried that. I tried it here, as a matter of fact. I recruited a handful of people interested in some general concepts, we moved the discussion to Discord. Fleshed out a more concrete and unanimous concept... and then... nothing. Three ppl dropped out during the planning stage, and the ones that were left were just waiting on each other to do something I guess. I tried it a second time on another site, and that time around I was more forward with an idea. And with that, I just didnt get any takers. crickets for days until I just got discouraged and dropped it. People don't seem too apt to be given an entire concept to GM.

That, and as I had mentioned before: When I make settings, it's a pretty big piece of pie.

Last edited:
So have you considered fiction writing? Just turning this into fan or original fiction? Possibly with the help of beta readers or collaboration from other authors?

I think it might be a better fit for what you want.

As I understand it you want to play in your sandbox but you don’t want the hassle of planning a roleplay.

Turning it into a long form writing project (or even a collaborative writing project) might work out better for you.

As it kind of feels like your trying to put a round peg in a square hole at this point.

So have you considered fiction writing? Just turning this into fan or original fiction? Possibly with the help of beta readers or collaboration from other authors?

I think it might be a better fit for what you want.

As I understand it you want to play in your sandbox but you don’t want the hassle of planning a roleplay.

Turning it into a long form writing project (or even a collaborative writing project) might work out better for you.

As it kind of feels like your trying to put a round peg in a square hole at this point.
I do attempt to write from time to time, yes. Funny you should bring it up, actually. I recently made a response to a topic in the General Discussion about that very thing. I've been writing off and on for well, my whole literate life! But my focus is honestly very fickle, and it's difficult for me to stay on one subject for very long. When in a group RP, I have a lot of other people that essentially become my "co-authors". This helps keep things on track and I can contribute consistently (provided the RP doesn't hit a long lull). In that sense, group RPs are a great help to allow me to express my creativity. Provided of course, that I can find my niche corner to work in.

I had actually tried that. I tried it here, as a matter of fact. I recruited a handful of people interested in some general concepts, we moved the discussion to Discord. Fleshed out a more concrete and unanimous concept... and then... nothing. Three ppl dropped out during the planning stage, and the ones that were left were just waiting on each other to do something I guess. I tried it a second time on another site, and that time around I was more forward with an idea. And with that, I just didnt get any takers. crickets for days until I just got discouraged and dropped it. People don't seem too apt to be given an entire concept to GM.

That, and as I had mentioned before: When I make settings, it's a pretty big piece of pie.
That's unfortunate and I'm really sorry to hear that.

My only other solution may be considered un-ideal at best and pretentious at worst. I've always found that Roleplaying with strangers tends to have too many risks and the best way to avoid ghosting is to somehow befriend other players or fall into a group of some kind. That way, at least, there's some level of accountability and they can't dip without explaining themselves first. I know that this is easier said than done though and I know that some players may not have the time or be interested in doing this. It COULD be a potential solution if you're still unable to write what you want to write with others at the end of the day though.

My only other solution may be considered un-ideal at best and pretentious at worst. I've always found that Roleplaying with strangers tends to have too many risks and the best way to avoid ghosting is to somehow befriend other players or fall into a group of some kind. That way, at least, there's some level of accountability and they can't dip without explaining themselves first. I know that this is easier said than done though and I know that some players may not have the time or be interested in doing this. It COULD be a potential solution if you're still unable to write what you want to write with others at the end of the day though.

That's a solid idea. Make friends on-site and then RP with them. But yeah... time constraint is definitely a thing. I dunno how much time I could actually devote to cultivating friendships. Also there is the issue of common ground. I don't think there are a whole bunch of RPers here in my demographic. Which makes relating to people a little harder. As Crow pointed out in one of the above comments, I may need to seek out RPers in my own age group. It seems like this place attracts a younger crowd. And with a younger crowd comes younger interests. Hence all the Isekai and My Hero Academy RPs.

The thing is, when i make settings for RP they are very detailed and thorough. I have made maps, defined locations, put in details for economies, have multiple races and histories for those races, etc. etc.

In the case of sci-fi stuff, I have gone to the extent of creating and defining a plethora pf planets and locations, different states of tech, bunches of alien races. It's a lot of work. But if I'm going to do something, I go big or go home. That's just the way I function. SO, it's better for me to just attach myself to someone else's concept and do my small part in my big way.

You should ease up on the lore because almost nobody will read/use it, and you'll burn yourself out. Or choose a Fandom you're interested in, so you don't need to make tons of content.

By the way, people not reading your lore isn't a shot at you. It's that nobody cares for lore until they care about characters and plot. Nobody cared about the wall until John Snow manned it, nor the ring until Frodo put it around his neck. Instead you should focus on broad, easily digestible lore that helps your members make characters. If a piece of lore won't do that, then don't make it until later when you,

1. Have the bigger, more important things handled

2. Know your RP won't die, so you're not wasting your time

I understand you have your way of operating, but flexibility is important. If you want to have your ideal RP, you're gonna have to make it yourself. If your problem with that stems from your investment failing to match your return, then invest less.

I understand you have your way of operating, but flexibility is important. If you want to have your ideal RP, you're gonna have to make it yourself. If your problem with that stems from your investment failing to match your return, then invest less.

I'd like to point out to everyone that I'm not in any way requesting some kind of "ideal" RP. I mean, it would be great if I could find it. But I don't actually expect to. Not wanting to participate in the popular genres/settings I had initially listed is hardly an ideal. That's just the broad stroke of my interests. I could get into more detail as to what I'm looking for. My interests checks touch on the things I'm looking for, but in a generalized approach. I know that the more I specify, the less likely I am to find what I want. I have my preferences as to genres and settings, just like anyone else. It just happens that they aren't the flavor of the year.

As I've already said before, now and in previous topics, I don't have the drive, time, nor organizational capacity to GM a setting. When I used to try and run RPs, I had a lot more time and patience to do so (and even then, they never really got anywhere). Simply put, I can't commit the effort that would be necessary to properly GM a roleplay. I would be doing everyone involved a disservice. What I DO have, is the ability to participate in one roleplay setting. Anything more than that would be taxing on my contribution to said RP. So running a roleplay is most definitely out of bounds.

I'd like to point out to everyone that I'm not in any way requesting some kind of "ideal" RP. I mean, it would be great if I could find it. But I don't actually expect to. Not wanting to participate in the popular genres/settings I had initially listed is hardly an ideal. That's just the broad stroke of my interests. I could get into more detail as to what I'm looking for. My interests checks touch on the things I'm looking for, but in a generalized approach. I know that the more I specify, the less likely I am to find what I want. I have my preferences as to genres and settings, just like anyone else. It just happens that they aren't the flavor of the year.

As I've already said before, now and in previous topics, I don't have the drive, time, nor organizational capacity to GM a setting. When I used to try and run RPs, I had a lot more time and patience to do so (and even then, they never really got anywhere). Simply put, I can't commit the effort that would be necessary to properly GM a roleplay. I would be doing everyone involved a disservice. What I DO have, is the ability to participate in one roleplay setting. Anything more than that would be taxing on my contribution to said RP. So running a roleplay is most definitely out of bounds.

The only thing I can really suggest is either getting over your distaste for 1x1's or just waiting patiently for something you like to pop up. You're not going to have much luck otherwise. I personally had to wait months to find the two RP's I'm in now.

The only thing I can really suggest is either getting over your distaste for 1x1's or just waiting patiently for something you like to pop up. You're not going to have much luck otherwise. I personally had to wait months to find the two RP's I'm in now.
yeah... I'm just waiting, I guess. I used to check in everyday. But now I'm signing in every three or four days, instead.

Hi, I really empathize. I find I am often misunderstood being older and it's not just the references or humor.... the entire perspective is different at times and well I think players raised in say a 5e environment do things and see things differently.

I am where you are at, and discovered a lot of toxic servers are out there as well. And have tried writing, but the RP is my muse, in order to write I need that fiction in play as well.

All I can say is good luck to us both I guess

Hi, I really empathize. I find I am often misunderstood being older and it's not just the references or humor.... the entire perspective is different at times and well I think players raised in say a 5e environment do things and see things differently.
By 5e, I'm guessing you mean some D&D stuff, yeah? That's really the only time I see that used. Personally, I'm only (mildly) familiar up to ...I think it's 3e? I forget, tbh. I have some old D&D books... purely for the lore and fun of it. I've never actually played. I'm not one for stats and die rolling. But I suppose it's the same boat, but a different pond. New stuff comes out, and you're just not into it. And you find yourself the odd man out.

I am where you are at, and discovered a lot of toxic servers are out there as well. And have tried writing, but the RP is my muse, in order to write I need that fiction in play as well.

Well, I can tell you from my experience here that I have not found RPN to be a toxic site. Others may state the contrary. But we all have our differing experiences. The admins are friendly and helpful, and I can't really say that they have been unfair. I would advise you to steer clear of the General Discussion topics pertaining to a lot of the newer societal norms. I made the mistake of being casual and comfortable in my comments, and I stepped on a few toes early on in my membership here. But that aside, it's a pretty good site as far as being friendly.

All I can say is good luck to us both I guess

Yes. Good luck to you as well. I hope you find a corresponding D&D group.

Thanks, I am also looking at straight RP, and find there are different social norms there as well that I am unfamiliar with

Users who are viewing this thread

Back