Viewpoint Is Bumping Annoying?

LiviathRose

Eliminating the Heart
I have to ask, when people "Bump" their posts, is it annoying? What is your opinion on it?

I have seen people get really crazy with it but I also feel like an occasional bump isn't so bad if a newly created thread is getting pushed over a few pages with a ton of other new roleplays or comments.

Personally, it only gets annoying if it is very constant. If it's like...after a week I don't really care, but if it's only been a day that's when I'm a bit more iffy on it but if the particular area of the site/forum area is very busy I could understand it.

Could not give a damn. My home turf you BUMP or you die . . . there is no surviving without being an active bumper there are that many people of the forum and it is that active. You will fall off the main page within a minute or less at peak hours.

Last edited:
I don’t personally “bump” a thread since I don’t have a partner search thread . . . yet.

But, when I do decide to lurk around the partner search area, when I see an excessive amount of post that’s just “bumps”, it turns me away from the thread because to me, if I see a user bumping their thread constantly within a day and continuously, it unfortunately gives me an assumption and judgment call that they’re impatient in waiting for a response to find a partner. ( In regards to seeing excessive bump post in a thread, I probably, most likely would delete my bump post so that way I can keep my thread clear of spam-like post and maintain a neat, organise thread )

Although RPN allows one bump per 24 hours ( or unless your thread falls off the first page within that 24 hours you are allowed to bump again ), if I make my own thread one day, I’ll probably wait to bump my thread after a week or more depending if I’m actively searching for a partner. Even if my partner search thread isn’t on the first page, I sort of like the idea that someone would take time and effort to go through 3 or more pages just to find my partner search. I most likely would like it if they contact me through PM if they are interested.

If I see a potential partner send me a message despite my thread being 3 pages or more backlogged, to me, personally, it just shows that the potential partner is willing to read through various searches to get the partner they want no matter how long it takes.

But, that’s just my own personal opinion and perspective!

So while it’s not “annoying”, to me, personally, it’s just about being patient and having consideration to allow other people the same opportunity to have their partner search shown to where everyone can find a potential partner.

The way I look at it, bumping by itself isn't inherently a problem, especially when there is an update or new information after a long time, I actually appreciate someone bumping their thread over making an entirely new one (though I myself make new ones when the updates are supposed to be major).

However the timing, amount and motivations of the bump can get on my bad side. For one thing, if someone is constantly bumping their thread, this not only makes it appear as though there are more posts than there really are- which can turn a lot of people away- but also makes the person seem quite needy and impatient, two traits I would definitely hate having in a partner. So those are turn-offs. Motivations like "staying in the first page" for example irk me a bit, because it seems disrespectful to other people who also have their interest checks and deserve their chance in the spotlight. If being in the first page is important, then you're taking something important from other people. If it's not important, then that's no reason to bump the thread.

Lastly, from my experience at least, it's not even a particularly effective thing to do. Many of my interest checks only start getting interested people once having fallen off the first page, sometimes going as far as the thir, fourth or fifth pages before there are replies on the thread. For many threads, even group ones, it can take days until they really pick up, yet I often see people bumping daily or even multiple times per day. The way I've come to understand it, either your thread has what it takes to pull people before any bumping could be needed, or it needs the right people to find it, and those people, from my experience, will look past the first page.

In short, if I had it my way, bumping would be an exlusive tool for the following situations:
*New information or some other update is added to the thread, thus making it different in it's appeal
*The topic of the search is very niche, thus making something like a weekly bump valid for the sake of finding people that match that niche interest
*The required members of a search thread are halfway or over halfway found, but more members are still needed. Thus the bump is necessary as the point is to complete something that's partway through.
*A bump on the second-fourth day and after a week of the innitial posting when there is a very rapid number of new search threads appearing, for the sake of one's own chance in the spotlight while it still makes sense to call a thread "fresh".

Lastly, I would like to propose to all reading this, to put links to your newest interest checks in your signature. While I won't say people frequently click on the signature, some find your threads through that, and might click if they see a post they like from you or a status or anything like that. It's a chance at not only garnering some more attention, but people who have an interest in you specifically as well.

Hope this helps, best of luck and happy RPing!

I have a super high tolerance for bumping threads. My first forum community was geared towards animal crossing fans, with a tiny little section for roleplays. Honestly it was very easy to stay on page one, but people would bump to stay up top. I get why folks do it, and why some feel it's to excess as well.

I'd say that there's nothing wrong with bumping as long as it doesn't become spam like by the frequency of posts. My preference is to see folks who delete their please bump posts after a bit so that it's easier to read and my first impression isn't an inflated post count of how many replies there are to a thread. There's not really a general consensus, but rather opinions seem to vary on how they see it. Most on this forum don't mind setting it a little at the very least. They may be staggered by the apparent desperation of bumping multiple times a day. But honestly, is say most interested checks remain on page one for at least a day even if folks bump, so it doesn't make a huge difference.

I don’t see an issue with a bump or two per day or every other day because like Dutch mentioned the site is quite active so if you don't bump then your thread will be swallowed up by everyone else’s. However, I don't agree with excessive bumping. Say, those people who bump constantly, like every hour? I know you might be desperate for roleplay, but it's kind of unfair to everyone else who is searching too, y’know?

I bump my threads but if nobody is interested, I just give up...Bumping is useless if no one is interested in your thread because bumping doesn' t guarantee that when people click on your thread, they will be interested. They might just leave your thread and it will slip off the first page.

I have no problem with bumping but when people bump a lot, interesting threads get pushed down.

It depends on the thread. If the thread is quality then there is no problem with it, if the thread is garbage it's not very productive, but it's not like it's that big of a deal either. Bumping RPs is necessary to some extent if you want to find more players, but it should be less of a problem if people really start using the tags appropriately.

Depends on how often they do it. If they're annoying about it (every hour on the hour) then yeah. That just spells super desparate. If its every few days it's more of a "im just gonna leave this right here because I'm still interested and looking"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back