• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Aviator

all colors lead to gray
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
Click me for the CS thread!
And click here for the plotting thread!

7fbd30e0ab6201a8d825fd6ec4b4fc3a31c4efa6.gifv

* This RP is based on Leigh Bardugo’s Grishaverse books and the TV series Shadow and Bone. While it’s not necessary for you to have read the books or seen the show, they are good frames of reference for the lore and universe in which this thread is set. Also please note that descriptions for the various types of Grisha have been taken from Grishaverse Wiki.

Setting: Ketterdam—a canvas of black, gray, and brown, tangled streets dense with mist and coalsmoke, ships of every kind in the harbor, pulsing with the rush and bustle of trade. This is where our story begins. Ketterdam is the capital city of Kerch, a nation governed by greed and distinguished by the prominent wealth gap between the rich and the poor. Ketterdam’s respectable Financial District is populated with landmarks such as the Geldrunner Hotel, Church of Barter, and Zentsbridge, and Ketterdam University is only a short ride away. Nearby is the Government District, where the Council of Merchants acts as the legislating body of the city and presides over the Exchange, where all legal and legitimate transactions take place. But on the streets of the Barrel, the den of vice popular with tourists and locals alike, is another story. Here is where Kerch gets its notoriously violent reputation. The Barrel is the entertainment and pleasure district of Ketterdam, an oasis for criminals and gangs. It is divided in two: East Stave, home of gambling halls and palaces, and West Stave, the red-light district lined with brothels of various themes. If you are a tourist, ladies and gentlemen, you are advised to steer clear of the Barrel—not that you actually will, of course. Please watch your drinks and beware of falling into the extensive network of canals throughout the city.
* Please note, while this is an AU fantasy world, the technology and beliefs are very nineteenth century-esque.

9d7fadf55536fadea040813143f91c9f52749085.gifv

Plot and Gangs: How unfortunate for you to wander into Ketterdam at this time; please, for your own good, stick close to your tour guides and do not get mixed up in anything… nefarious. While the four major gangs of the city are always skirmishing for dominance over the lucrative Fifth Harbor and Barrel, right now tensions are the highest anyone can remember, and the city is bracing for all-out war. Naturally, the Council of Merchants is taking a backseat and letting the gangs resolve the problem on their own—it is high time that these troublesome packs of canal rats could use a little thinning. You have your Dregs, who bear a crow-and-cup tattoo on their forearms and run the popular Crow Club and retain control of Fifth Harbor… for now, at least. Then there’s the Dime Lions, who derive most of their revenue from popular gambling halls such as the Emerald Palace and Kaelish Prince; their symbol is a feral cat curled into a crown. The Black Tips, as their name alludes, bear a tattoo of a hand with the first and second fingers cut off; historically they have been a “small operation,” but war between the major players of the city could be just the opportunity they have always been looking for to make their rise to power. And finally there is the Razorgulls, whose profit primarily derives from various brothels and a monopoly on the astronomically-priced drug jurda parem; members wear a tattoo of five birds in a wedge formation.
* Note: While it’s not required that you make your character a member of one of the aforementioned gangs, the gang war is the focal point of the thread and most of our OCs will indeed likely be gangsters. Some will be Grisha, either secretly or openly, but since Grisha are in rare supply in countries other than Ravka, these will be limited positions.

fa2f0a065936914038af44d7673d7bc2-1.gif

Nationalities: Kerch is an island nation surrounded by two continents. To the western continent lies Novyi Zem, and to the east Fjerda, Ravka, and Shu Han. If we were to create parallels to real-world nations, Kerch is roughly inspired by Dutch culture, Ravka by Russian, Fjerda by Finnish/Swedish, Novyi Zem by Africa and, Shu Han by Far East Asia. Ravka is the primary home to Grisha, where they are employed as the Second Army to defend the country against foreign threats. (The “First Army” is soldiers with the capabilities of normal humans, though due to the multitudinous advantages of magic, the Second Army serves as Ravka’s main fighting force.) Outside of Ravka, Grisha are met with suspicion, distrust, and sometimes outright hatred, and by extension this prejudice sometimes applies to all Ravkans, regardless of magic ability.
Fjerda is Ravka’s most formidable opponent, where Grisha are considered witches and hunted mercilessly by the Druskelle, young soldiers who are trained for years at prestigious martial academies to combat magical foes. The wolf is considered a sacred animal by Fjerdans, and over the duration of their martial educations, Druskelle are given their own wolves with whom they develop special affinities. Novyi Zem is a young nation compared to the others, known for its exotic dark-skinned inhabitants, frontiers, bustling coastal cities, sophisticated firearms, and extensive farmland where the profitable cash crop jurda is cultivated. In Novyi Zem, the Grisha are known as zowa, which means “blessed”; many Grisha seek refuge here, where they can start a new life in anonymity without having to fear being killed or enslaved on account of their magic.
Speaking of which, Grisha in Kerch are frequently sold as slaves, so if you, dear friend, find yourself in possession of these unearthly powers in our good city of Ketterdam, it might be in your best interest to keep mum about it! And if enslavement doesn’t sit right with you, just know that in the southern nation of Shu Han, Grisha are typically acquired in not-so-secret black market deals and used as lab rats in various experiments, most of which have to do with the ability-enhancing drug jurda parem. Forward-thinking nation, the Shu Han are. Last but not least are the Suli people, who have no official homeland but are eternal nomads. The Suli tend to be skilled entertainers with knacks for performing in traveling fairs and are frequently the subject of settled individuals’ scorn. Think of them as gypsies.

giphy.gif

So what are Grisha? Great question, traveler! Grisha are humans who practice the Small Science, the art of manipulating matter in its most basic form. In other words, they are essentially sorcerers/witches/magicians, whatever have you. The Grisha are traditionally divided into three orders based on their specific magic ability, with each order being further divided into subtypes. Please note that, while having Grisha parents may increase a child’s chances of inheriting the magic ability, it is not a guarantee. The reverse also applies; while it’s somewhat uncommon for a Grisha child to be born to non-Grisha parents, it is not unheard of. And lastly, although most Grisha are of Ravkan origin, this is certainly not the case for all Grisha.

Corporalki, (singular: Corporalnik) or the Order of the Living and the Dead, are Grisha whose power focuses on the human body. The Order is divided into three groups: Heartrenders, Healers, and Tailors. In Ravka's Second Army, they wear crimson-colored kefta (uniform robes worn to battle).
  • Heartrenders are one of the most feared Grisha types and were for a long time considered the most valuable soldiers. Their ability and training allow them to manipulate the body of another person to cause harm. For example, a Heartrender can stop a human's heart or prevent air from entering their lungs.
  • Healers utilize their ability to manipulate the human body in order to heal wounds and injuries.
  • Tailors have the unique ability to alter human appearances, both their own and those of others.

Etherealki, (singular: Etherealnik) or the Order of Summoners, are Grisha whose power lies in the manipulation of different natural elements. This Order is divided into Squallers, Inferni, and Tidemakers. Loosely referred to as Summoners, Etherealki typically train in pairs; Inferni partner with other Inferni, while Squallers and Tidemakers usually train together.
  • Squallers are Summoners who can raise or lower air pressure to create storms, gusts, and manipulate objects. They wear blue kefta embroidered in silver.
  • Inferni summon combustible gases such as methane or hydrogen, though they still need a flint to start a spark. They wear blue kefta embroidered in red.
  • Tidemakers manipulate temperature to summon and control water. They wear blue kefta embroidered in light blue.

Materialki, (singular: Materialnik) or the Order of Fabrikators, are Grisha whose power focuses on composite materials such as metal, glass, textiles, and chemicals. This Order consists of Durasts and Alkemi; collectively, they are commonly referred to as Fabrikators.
  • Durasts deal with solids such as Grisha steel, corecloth, textiles and glass. Their colors are purple and gray.
  • Alkemi specialize in poisons and blasting powders. They traditionally wear purple and red.
2b015a739861106bccb9d3801a32514b4cdeddda.gifv

Last edited:
Welcome everyone, and thank you for your interest! :closed eyes open smile: I shall create the character sheet thread tomorrow so that we can get this show on the road.

Grisha places are going fast, guys! Start a WIP form on the CS thread and I will reserve them on a first-come-first-serve basis!

Abendrot Abendrot Forgive me; I am absolutely horrible with fancyposts. Is there more to Femke's form than just the initial screen that says her name and healer? Like, is there something I have to click to be taken to another page? If not and that's just your WIP, that's completely fine!

Forgive me; I am absolutely horrible with fancyposts. Is there more to Femke's form than just the initial screen? Like, is there something I have to click to be taken to another page?
Nah, it's just a placeholder atm. I'm working on her more once I come home today

BOKEH. BOKEH. Dia's form is absolutely gorgeous and I am already a huge fan of both her and your writing!!! I'mma add her to the roster right now.

As for the rest of you guys, how are you making out with forms? Is anyone else finished and ready for me to look over their character? As I'm sure everyone's already gathered, we're just gonna do away with the 72-hour reservation rule, because I definitely underestimated the time it takes to complete the form that I created. XD At this point, I'm very nearly done with my own character sheet and plan to be finished either tonight or tomorrow. Does everyone else think that they can finish up on the day after New Year's?

BOKEH. BOKEH. Dia's form is absolutely gorgeous and I am already a huge fan of both her and your writing!!! I'mma add her to the roster right now.

As for the rest of you guys, how are you making out with forms? Is anyone else finished and ready for me to look over their character? As I'm sure everyone's already gathered, we're just gonna do away with the 72-hour reservation rule, because I definitely underestimated the time it takes to complete the form that I created. XD At this point, I'm very nearly done with my own character sheet and plan to be finished either tonight or tomorrow. Does everyone else think that they can finish up on the day after New Year's?
am just finished mine!

I'm hoping to be done soon, my entire family has fallen really ill though and I'm trying to rest, care for a baby and sick husband, and try to finish my sheet so it's taking me longer than anticipated. I'm sorry 😣.

Yep, getting to work on mine, the bulk of it should be done in the next day or so!

That's okay, take your time with the forms if you need to, you guys! There's no rush to complete them right away, but please try to do so sometime in the next few days.

Hey there, I stumbled upon this and I was like…wow. I recently finished the whole grishaverse and have been craving to do a roleplay based on it. Ah and, don’t be fooled by me being new to the site since I’ve been roleplaying for a long time on other platforms and would consider myself literate enough for this roleplay :). (Though I must admit that I’m unfamiliar with this site’s bbc code thiugh but will try my best to create legible character sheet)

Interested. I have an otkazat’sya sharpshooter character I can toss in. Former oprichnik with Winter Soldier vibes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back