News Invisioning The Future (RpN 2.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Demon is working really hard to try and move all yalls roleplays and no one loves me!!!

Why does everyone hate me? :,(

I'll give you a like... and a hug if you'd like. *Offers Hug*

Its honestly nice to know that there are people working on it because its invisible work from what I can see. 

Keep up the good work @DemonKitten!

Thank you! That is why I am not really involved in all this chat cause I gotta try and get all these roleplays up and running.

I really dislike how the system for joining new roleplays work. It seems really idiotic that every character sheet is it's own thread now. I think people will be even less likely to read other peoples character sheets now that they can't just just scroll up to read it, but rather hace tve to search for the characters. It will also make it a nightmare for people with slow internet that can't use many tabs at once. Also it's uglier and it is a lot harder to navigate now. 

It seems really idiotic that every character sheet is it's own thread now.

Hosted Projects actually always have worked like this and it allows for GMs to make comments right on the character sheet without disrupting the flow of all the other character sheets. This is actually one of the things I like about the update and it's not a new concept since hosted projects did it since they started. 

I really dislike how the system for joining new roleplays work. It seems really idiotic that every character sheet is it's own thread now. I think people will be even less likely to read other peoples character sheets now that they can't just just scroll up to read it, but rather hace tve to search for the characters. It will also make it a nightmare for people with slow internet that can't use many tabs at once. Also it's uglier and it is a lot harder to navigate now. 

Implying that people even read other sheets in the same thread when it doesn't concern their character.

I have a comment that might be fixable although by no means is immediate. Beneath my profile picture, it says "Members"... plural. Last time I checked, I'm only one member. I think it would make a lot more sense for that word to be singular. 

I have a comment that might be fixable although by no means is immediate. Beneath my profile picture, it says "Members"... plural. Last time I checked, I'm only one member. I think it would make a lot more sense for that word to be singular. 

I think it means "DaughterofAthena is a member of 'Members' group"

But yes, making it singular works too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it means "DaughterofAthena is a member of 'Members' group"

I still think it looks weird as a plural term beneath a singular person. They could alternatively add a label that clarifies it as a group. 

Again, this is just a minor observation that I find a bit odd. 

It's also a lot harder to navigate now. In the old days, you could easily access all threads about a roleplay in one click. Now it's a journey to go from the OOC to the Overview.

It's also a lot harder to navigate now. In the old days, you could easily access all threads about a roleplay in one click. Now it's a journey to go from the OOC to the Overview.

If its not a 1x1,

Send in a support ticket and we will get everything moved for you.

I dunno if this is just my feelings on it or not, but I'd have rather the site stay down until it was completely done. Or the project not be advertised until you guys had most things all worked out. I like the site right now but I can't help but feel we're working with the skeleton. 

I really second that. Having such a large number of people piled on the unfinished site and asking questions about things there aren't even definite answers for seems a little...frustrating for everyone and somewhat counterproductive.

MONOPOISONER[SIZE=14.666666666666666px] _____[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]I realize and am well-aware the site is not yet finished, but it’s best to get these ideas as early as possible so you can include them in your plans. Some of these have been mentioned by previous users (such as Crit in her review), but I will repeat them to get it across that the opinion is shared.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]For anyone who’s going to ask, this was created in Google Docs.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]UH so somehow my posting section glitched. I accidentally left an accordion in my post and now I can’t even type anything for the thread. RIP. Leaving it to Mayhem to post my thoughts.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]I fixed it by using the Tab code and then deleting it. That had to be the most roundabout way ever. [/SIZE]

AESTHETICS[SIZE=14.666666666666666px] _____[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]The homepage is generically IPS Community. It’s the Helvetica of forum websites. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but compared to before, I prefer RPN’s previous format overall. Bluntly said, the new format looks [/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px]lazy[/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px]. However, that’s a small thing vs my main issue which is visual noise. There’s a lot of unnecessary information on the front page.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]Take for example, the size of the # of posts in each forum. Is that even necessary? Yes, it’s useful for threads but for forums? Is there a situation where people would need to learn that? These are the kinds of questions that one needs to ask.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]The latest post option was always there, and I agree it can be useful. But I will gently push that you remove the presence of user icons, as it detracts from the overall appearance. You don’t need to see someone’s icon to know that they posted. You could look into bringing back that old system of clicking on someone’s username bringing up a quick sort of mini-profile.[/SIZE]

NAVIGATION[SIZE=14.666666666666666px] _____[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]Navigating the site is overwhelming, and this is once again due to visual noise. There’s just too much going on at once that people aren’t sure [/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px]where[/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px] to begin. Look at the site from the eyes of someone who’s new and doesn’t know which is where. That’s how you streamline your site.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]Prioritize putting frequently used links such as Subscribed Threads underneath the forums tab, next to the STAFF. In fact, I don’t think STAFF should be under forums. It should be under the SUPPORT tab. However, this is subjective and debatable.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]UNREAD CONTENT confuses me in that it shows me [/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px]all[/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px] posts, even ones I’m not even subscribed to. I’m sure I’m not alone in that I don’t give a flying fuck about what other people are doing. Maybe exchange that with “CONTENT I FOLLOW” instead, although I will agree with Crit that I dislike how it’s phrased and would prefer the easier “SUBSCRIBED” information.[/SIZE]

FUNCTIONALITY[SIZE=14.666666666666666px] _____[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]I don’t think I’m in the minority in saying I would’ve preferred a longer downtime if it meant all the features came back working. There’s just too many things broken or features missing for to justify participating in the website. Of course there are people who want to rp immediately, but to bfrank, there are always other sites for that?[/SIZE]

POSTING / FORMATTING[SIZE=14.666666666666666px] _____[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]I like BBCoding, and formatting. And honestly, it’s great that you made it more accessible for people who aren’t well-versed in it! But did it really have to be at the cost of what other people can do? There’s so much less formatting options it feels like a crime compared to the past one. :c Buttons are clunky for people who are used to manually typing code. I’m one of them, as I tend to organize my code as I write to avoid making mistakes. I won’t delve too deeply on this as I’m aware that it’s incomplete.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]I also saw you can’t delete posts? That’s strange, but I can somewhat understand it. The site I moderate only hides posts keeping them archived. Mayhem mentioned that she couldn’t edit her previous thread in Tutorial, and that’s definitely worth looking into.[/SIZE]

MODERATING[SIZE=14.666666666666666px] _____[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]This isn’t necessarily about the site itself, but I feel it’s worth mentioning. I mod a different site myself. I know what it’s like to get catty remarks and basically being flamed. Here’s the thing, under [/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px]no[/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px] circumstances should you reply cattily or tongue in cheek. It only gives them incentive to flame you harder, which is the complete opposite of what you want to do. Your job as a mod is to keep the peace. If it means humbling yourself to do it, you do it.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]If you want people to stop pestering you with questions, make an official Q&A announcement regarding the new site. If they’re asking for missing features, instead of replying “they’re working on it” give an estimated completion date. People want certainty about if they’re getting it or not. It’s all too easy to say “we’re working on it” only to wind up not doing it at all.[/SIZE]

Hmm, I just found the announcement and it definitely needs to be a lot more visible. Like along the same lines the submit ticket option visible.

CONCLUSION[SIZE=14.666666666666666px] _____[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]The site definitely feels like a downgrade at the moment, but it’s serviceable and does what it needs to do. To get users used to the new site, create an announcement about where everything is, any Q&A’s and possible release dates for missing features. I’m personally not a big fan of the site revamp (I can’t really call it an upgrade), but I can deal with it. [/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:

If the creator wants, they can delete the characters forum and keep everything in a thread in the other areas they create or leave everything in a thread in the auto generated characters forum. You aren't forced to use the ability to make threads if you don't want to.

If the creator wants, they can delete the characters forum and keep everything in a thread in the other areas they create or leave everything in a thread in the auto generated characters forum. You aren't forced to use the ability to make threads if you don't want to.

How do you delete a forum? I have figured out how to rename them, rearrange them, make parent and subforums... But nowhere is there an option to delete them. I played with it for an hour and even asked Welian who didn't know... And she made the tutorial.... 

How do you delete a forum? I have figured out how to rename them, rearrange them, make parent and subforums... But nowhere is there an option to delete them. I played with it for an hour and even asked Welian who didn't know... And she made the tutorial.... 

To have a forum deleted, all you have to do is make a RP support request C:.

To have a forum deleted, all you have to do is make a RP support request C:.

But there is a LONG wait for those to be addressed. I feel it would almost be easier to suggest making a whole new rp if you accidentally create a forum you don't have use for... Especially if you haven't put any content in yet. 

It would be really nice if an rp creator could delete a completely empty forum. 

But there is a LONG wait for those to be addressed. I feel it would almost be easier to suggest making a whole new rp if you accidentally create a forum you don't have use for... Especially if you haven't put any content in yet. 

It would be really nice if an rp creator could delete a completely empty forum. 

Not really because there are different departments on the support system and I believe only admins can remove an entire board from an RP, so send it to Admin Contact and an admin will do it. I'll make a department later just for this.

Not really because there are different departments on the support system and I believe only admins can remove an entire board from an RP, so send it to Admin Contact and an admin will do it. I'll make a department later just for this.

Honestly, I would rather resources be devoted to moving rps. I just want to be able to have conversations in my OOCs again and posts in my rps again. 

I came on this morning to see that my color me colors were changed...

Is that because maybe my cache cleared?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread