News Invisioning The Future (RpN 2.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once again, the site is not notifying me when there are new posts in this thread and people are asking useful questions that I'd like to see answers to. Is there a way to ensure that I see every post that appears in this thread without having to remain on this page indefinitely? I have changed the settings as I was told to do and it worked for a little while - a box popped up on the bottom of my page although there was still absolutely nothing about the posts in my notifications - and now I'm not getting anything again unless I am sitting on this page. 

How am I supposed to know if people post in my rps if I can't "watch" a thread and receive updates about it?

Could you give us five minutes to find an answer to this question, please? :)

I'm trying to figure out the answer for @Ballerina as well. Give us a little time~

when I post here: Yeah

But in this one rp im in that got transferred, it wont let me edit my post which needs editing due to the bbcode no longer being around. 

Wait for the system to reconstruct, some of the BBCode might be salvageable.

I think there are some issues with editing old posts which are being fixed.

Once again, the site is not notifying me when there are new posts in this thread and people are asking useful questions that I'd like to see answers to. Is there a way to ensure that I see every post that appears in this thread without having to remain on this page indefinitely? I have changed the settings as I was told to do and it worked for a little while - a box popped up on the bottom of my page although there was still absolutely nothing about the posts in my notifications - and now I'm not getting anything again unless I am sitting on this page. 

How am I supposed to know if people post in my rps if I can't "watch" a thread and receive updates about it?

No problem :)!

Can someone - anyone really - post here and not tag / reply to me? I think I might've found the solution to my own problem and I'd like to verify. 

Go to the bottom of the site, go to themes, switch to RpN Dark. Atleast your eyes won't melt out of their eye sockets now :P!

Uhm... the white bar that this is in extends off of the page and very much seems to contradict the layout of the site. Is that supposed to happen? It honestly looks like something broken BBcode used to do. 

Uhm... the white bar that this is in extends off of the page and very much seems to contradict the layout of the site. Is that supposed to happen? It honestly looks like something broken BBcode used to do. 

Screenshots?

@The Dark Wizard, as promised. Take time to read this when you're not being swarmed like you just released the five plagues.

Hello hello! CRiTiCAL ERR0R here with your wonderful RPN 2.0. Review!

JqwB6y6.gif

So yes, I'm playing around with the text editing features as I write this up. Shhh. What I will be discussing are some things that I've noticed within browsing the site for about an hour or so. Some things may not be entirely accurate, or may have already been addressed by other users or through admins via update announcements or question responses. I'll admit I haven't read through them like I would usually do, only because I know it's going to be a massive flood. These are the major things I will be discussing in my review:

1. Aesthetic
  2. Navigation
  3. Functionality
  4. Text Editor
  5. Posting

Aesthetic

I will admit, I have a lot of pros and cons about the new aesthetics (appearance). So first and foremost, I am going to mention the Themes option.

So upon logging in, I am met with RPN's very own iconic blue color. The off-white background with the blue is very nice, very pleasing to the eye. The bright white of the posts, however, can be a little bit blinding after a while. It isn't necessarily bad, per se, but it is something that kind of turns me off. Maybe a sliiiightly darker shade of white. Something that's not true white may be a little easier on the eye. Regardless, the wide text space in the posts is nice to see. The slim bars for the site buttons are nice too. It's one of the few things that reminds me of the old version of the site. It's nice. I have to admit though, the placement of the posts were a bit odd at first, and the Like button reminds me of tumblr. It's sleek looking, but I'm not sure how I feel about it quite yet.

Moving into the RPN Dark Theme, I can tell it was pre-built. It is so incredibly different from the Standard RPN version, and the images are I'm assuming stock images. I can only assume that the dark version of the site will be updated with it's own custom art when available. I do really like the blue glow above the first post. That little aesthetic is alluring. However, because the style is dramatically different than that of RPN's standard, it makes it look almost like an entirely different site all together. I don't get the coherency. The post display with the usernames is a bit wonky too. Sometimes I get lost and can't tell when one user's post stops and another user's post begins.

RPN ColorMe theme got me pretty excited, to be honest. I get my GREEN COLOR BACK. However, I hate the interface. The large blocks instead of tabs are kind of off-putting. Again, it feels like an entirely different site. Compared to RPN Standard and RPN Dark, the user's buttons seems a bit out of the way. Sure, on the Standard they're just on the right side, but it seems a bit more coherent than in the top left. Maybe because it doesn't feel like it's just jammed over in a corner.

Navigation

Now, I have a very big problem in navigating this site. I know I'm not the only one. It's not only the fact that it's new, but it's the fact that there are things that users had easy access to, that now they have to go and DIG for. This is a big problem, to be honest, especially if you want your previous userbase to feel remotely comfortable to the change.

Navigation is incredibly clunky. It takes far too long to find bookmarks, subscribed threads (watched threads), previous posts, etc. Everything that people generally use should probably be within one or two clicks away. Any more than that, and it's an issue. Location of these things are odd as well. In order to reach my latest posts and get the view that I want, I have to go through my profile, look up my activity, and click on topics or posts. That's far too many steps just to look at something.

The description for Watched Threads is odd. "Content I Follow" doesn't immediately translate to "Watched Threads", and so can easily be missed. Shortening it back to "Watched" or "Subscribed" may work better, and would be seen much easier. I had to dig for them. Needless to say, the convenience for navigation is... not there.

Functionality

Even with the major navigation issues, everything seems to be set in a way to where it's meant to be more organized. You can literally go and see EVERYTHING. But that could be a double edge sword. There's just SO MUCH we CAN do, that it kind of overstimulates and floods our eyes to the point that we can't process accurately. So again, I suggest taking the most used buttons (Watched threads, bookmarks, etc) and making them the most visible. 

ALRIGHT, PAUSING FOR A SECOND. HOLY FLYING FUQ. So again about being overstimulated with just everything in your face, I have now found that by clicking on your username, you can access your Watched threads and Bookmarks. But again, my issue is, it's kind of out of the way. It's not so blatantly in your face, it literally took me an hour to find it. Maybe I'm just tired, idek. wtfh. Again, this is a really big issue if you can't find it right away. Dx

Text Editor

Ohh Wiz. This may be one that hurts quite a bit for me. I know there's a lot to come of this, but right now I'm pretty hesitant. Looking over the Tabs button, it's pretty glitchy. I have to refresh the page in order to actually click on the tabs. Accordions are alright at best, but my major concern right now is if we'll be able to edit the content that we type up within those button's functions (the window that pops up that we could type things in). If we can't edit the content that goes into those, there's gonna be some major issues with a loooot of users that used them often.

I know it isn't completed, so I'm going to be nice and not dig too far into this.

I would like to see Google Fonts enabled in the near future.

Posting

Posting itself isn't an issue. Minus the Text Editor, posting is relatively easy. I.. kind of sort of hate the emojis, but that's just me being me. I was never fan of yellow emojis, nor the fact that they automatically insert. Some of the posts feel disproportionate. It might be the standard text size, which I doubt could really be changed. 

I'm also a little confused about the rating up or down posts. It's conventient... I think. But may get confusing occasionally. I assume it's mainly for discussion threads? I have yet to make a roleplay thread, so it will be some time before I can review this further.

Conclusion

The new RPN site has a long way to go before it's optimal, I know. There's still a lot of things to be worked on, so I at least tried to focus more on what may be able to be fixed right away. Overall, I will restate that maybe there is just a little too much to what people could do right off the bat, and that makes the GUI very confusing. It overstimulates the eye, and makes it hard to process. Because there are few similarities to the old site, it makes it incredibly difficult (and frustrating) for users to adapt to. Allowing easier access (or changing the names of certain links and buttons) may help users feel some ease in scavenging their way through the new site. 

I highly suggest a series of small tutorials to show users were important information/links are, as well as the purpose for some new options (for instance, the All Activity under "seem my activity" on profiles) to help alleviate some confusion and frustration that stems from it.

Keep working guys. I know you're working hard.

Guys? I'm sorry if this sounds stupid but I don't know whether I should put this in a thread in question section because this is just so mundane...

Where is the "support" button for opening ticket?

The site is adjusting at the moment. We're busy right now anyhow, better answers come when there's not a million questions. No need to be testy. :)

So let's make an agreement.  The mod staff stops dodging questions, giving half-baked answers, and actually pays attention to the issues being raised instead of ignoring them, and I will gladly stop being "testy".

So let's make an agreement.  The mod staff stops dodging questions, giving half-baked answers, and actually pays attention to the issues being raised instead of ignoring them, and I will gladly stop being "testy".

No deal.

We're doing the best we can. I could not care less about what you think about 'dodging questions' when I am helping people who legitimately want to be helped. What do you want? If you want to complain at me, I'm going to ignore it. If you want to give constructive criticism, we'll listen. :)

If you are going to get rude, we can just start issuing warning points. Go take your crusade else where. You did this in 2013, 2014 and now in 2016.

If it bothers you so much, you know where the X in your browser is. We are working as hard and as fast as we can to get everything fixed/migrated over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back