• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Introductory Games [Forum] [Dice]

Grey

Dialectical Hermeticist
We have a huge number of new members without experience of dice-based games. This thread will serve as a hub from which I will invite interested parties to give it a spin. Each game offered was written to serve a 3 hour real-life session, and the narrative is therefore short, structured, and to the point. Running them via forum gives more leeway for variation, however, and you should not find yourselves significantly more confined than in a freeform game. I would appreciate regular posting where possible - once every two days, at the slowest.

August 17th, 2013

Seattle has had its share of tragedy and monsters - the disastrous WTO protests, the Mardi Gras Massacre, the Rainbow Killer. In this post-9/11 world fear of your neighbour, of the dark city streets, of the government allegedly sworn to protect you is rife, and we are understandably paranoid.

But no one was ready for John Whistler.

He took hostages at the Bank of America, and then he detonated a bomb, killing 89 people. Seattle is still reeling from the shock.

November 8th, 2013

You haven't slept for almost a week. After the bombing, you slept badly, sure - nightmares, restlessness, early rising. Now it's full-blown insomnia. You find yourself walking the rainy city streets by night, settling down for coffee in an all-night diner (sure, it won't help you sleep, but you weren't sleeping anyway - might as well stay alert, right?).

A few other lonely souls are in here, getting acquainted with the night. Maybe you're not the only one.

Hallucinations have begun to set in, so it'd be great not to be alone...

This is a game for
five players.

It will be set in Onyx Path's
World of Darkness, under the God-Machine Chronicle updates.

You do not require these books, nor any knowledge about them.
Players without prior system experience are preferred.

This is a
Horror game; there will be disturbing content - in particular self-harm, violence, and themes of domestic abuse.

I will be assigning characters to ease the transition, but you will have the choice to write your own character if you so desire and are free to expand or take liberties with the premade character you might be given. Note, however, that there will be minor restrictions on the types of characters welcome.

Our characters
must have an artistic interest or outlet. There must be one police officer, one military veteran, and one librarian. They are ordinary humans with no knowledge of the supernatural beyond what they might have seen in fiction or read in mythology.

Presently interested are:
@revo @Ashmorne @Krystael @Jiggly @Runcible Spoon

If any other new members would be interested in future, please post here and I'll alert you when the next cycle begins. If you would like to learn more about systems,
click here.

Last edited by a moderator:
YES! So excited you're doing this. I call the cop! *runs off to plot evil things* Jk. I misread. You're assigning. *sits on hands*

revo said:
YES! So excited you're doing this. I call the cop! *runs off to plot evil things* Jk. I misread. You're assigning. *sits on hands*
You don't have to accept the assignment, but I suppose it is better to see it before you dismiss it.

If you guys would like to PM me with 3 character traits that you would like to play, I will strive to match you with an appropriate pregen

... any three traits? I'm not used to being assigned a character. Excuse my ignorance.

Such as:

Excitable, scholarly, curious

Stoic, thoughtful, capable

Moody, distant, paranoid.

Any three traits you think it would be interesting to roleplay

*has been tagged*

I am both happy and annoyed with this occurance.

On one hand, Senpai noticed me!

On the other, I was rather hoping the alert had been a reply.

The Good Doctor (Doctor Calgori) pointed me here because I have absolutely no knowledge these game systems. He also told me to sell my soul to you, so yeah I can donate it for free I suppose. I literally have no experience in all this but I am willing to learn, so uhh where do I start learning?

tl;dr

I was pointed here and I'm interested, but I have no idea what I am supposed to do.

I wish to learn more of dice-related plays, and I am somewhat interested in it. Do count me in for future renditions of this.

@Ashmorne, @revo, and @Runcible Spoon are confirmed. Waiting on @Jiggly and @Krystael, but they may have missed this thread.

The rest of you are encouraged to observe once I get the game going, and once it ends I'll start a fresh one for you to try.

EDIT: Note also that if Krystael or Jiggly bow out, I will offer their spaces to the rest of you in order of posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Running the same game in parallel would be weird. But let me check my notes for close alternatives.

Grey said:
Oh, good thinking. I'll get on that soon.
I'm assuming most people will know what XCOM is here? I'm just really desperate to play an XCOM game and having it as a learning experience too would only make it better. Just my opinion though if people here want something else just say.

Existing game appears to be dying due to a lack of player activity. Anyone else in thread still interested?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back