• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Into the Ruins - Exalted 3e OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Psychie Psychie I take it you approve of their recommendations and can include them in Da Chonk's character sheet?
Yes, you have my official go-ahead on that.
O.K.. Somehow "chopping it up" (separating the Health Levels like that) makes it a bit easier to understand! =)

His Health Levels are the same in all of his forms, correct? His DBT and Animal form Mutations add to his Soak and whatnot, but not in human form.

Also, are his DBT/Animal form statistics the same when he is using his Emerald Grasshopper Forms and Towering Beast Forms? Psychie asked me to build up a menagerie of known forms via his Heart's Blood 3 Merit.
Your health levels do not change when you shift forms. Makes stepping on a bug a bit difficult when it is tougher than a full-sized steer.

Emerald Grasshopper and Towering Beastman both give you access to new forms allowing you to take on the really large and really small forms in your library of shapes.

Psychie Psychie The Agata is a big demon wasp-thing that's very pretty and therefore it has some kind of mesmerizing power that make people give it a friendly Minor Tie? Before I have Fat Cat enter, he is a supernatural creature himself.

What effect does the Agata have on him, please?
You are impressed with how pretty it looks, but as an Exalt yourself, you are not mesmerized by the beauty of the Agata and can still respond normally.

So DBT is a specific form that is kind of a modification of your human form in some ways. As it stands the charms Emerald Grasshopper and Towering Beast enable you to assume specific animal forms in your Heartsblood Library. There is an enhancement to Towering Beast Form called Mountainous Spirit Expression that will allow you to stack Towering Beast Form with DBT (basically just makes your DBT really large, mechanically it just adds the Legendary Size Merit)
Rykon Rykon I don't follow. The description of Towering Beast Form in my Lunars book (p. 264) states, "Her body swelling with supernatural might, the Lunar expands into the form of one of Creation’s greatest beasts. She shapeshifts into an animal form with Legendary Size."

But Mountainous Spirit Expression on the next page states, "She may activate Towering Beast Form to grant her current shape Legendary Size instead of changing into a different form."

Do what?

On the whole though, my previous statement applies. Your traits are never reduced by shapeshifting. However, in the case of significant size changes, I think it's probably fair that the ST scales certain physical actions appropriately depending on the context. For example, Strength 5 as a mouse probably shouldn't have the same feat of strength scale as a Strength 5 Godzilla. No weak dinosaurs allowed.
O.K.! Sorry if you're having to repeat information (I'm trying to keep it in my head but it's not always good at that). Your joke a few days ago here in OOC about the "skyscraper" -sized Fat Cat made an impression! Heh!

Normally, your Deadly Beastman form is not going to be of Legendary size, even if your totem form is a whale or a Tyrant Lizard or something like that. The second Essence 2 Charm of Mountainous Spirit Expression changes that, letting your DBT mode take on Legendary size and get the bonuses from being that big.

Rykon Rykon I don't follow. The description of Towering Beast Form in my Lunars book (p. 264) states, "Her body swelling with supernatural might, the Lunar expands into the form of one of Creation’s greatest beasts. She shapeshifts into an animal form with Legendary Size."

But Mountainous Spirit Expression on the next page states, "She may activate Towering Beast Form to grant her current shape Legendary Size instead of changing into a different form."

Do what?
Maybe this example will clear it up.

Towering Beast Form lets you shapeshift into a Tyrant Lizard (if you have the shape) despite the fact that it's Legendary Sized. (ie. accessing naturally large shapes)

Mountainous Spirit Expression is what lets a mouse form (or any other form you have) meet a Tyrant Lizard at eye level. (ie. making normal/other shapes large)

I suspect in your case, the "Fat Cat" form will naturally have the Legendary Size merit and still be accessible through Towering Beast Form because that was the point of the spirit shape and the natural appearance of that form. I'm not sure what you and our ST agreed to so Psychie Psychie please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Yes, you have my official go-ahead on that.
Psychie Psychie Thank you! That sure makes things easier! =)

Your health levels do not change when you shift forms. Makes stepping on a bug a bit difficult when it is tougher than a full-sized steer.
O.K.! That makes gaming sense. =)

However, in the case of significant size changes, I think it's probably fair that the ST scales certain physical actions appropriately depending on the context. For example, Strength 5 as a mouse probably shouldn't have the same feat of strength scale as a Strength 5 Godzilla. No weak dinosaurs allowed.
O.K.. That too makes good sense. I mean, what gnat has a Strength of more than 1, right? How could a Yeddim get around with anything less than a Strength of <insert appropriate number here>?

Normally, your Deadly Beastman form is not going to be of Legendary size, even if your totem form is a whale or a Tyrant Lizard or something like that. The second Essence 2 Charm of Mountainous Spirit Expression changes that, letting your DBT mode take on Legendary size and get the bonuses from being that big.
Ohhh! So that's where the "skyscraper-sized Fat Cat comes in?" When we get to Essence 2 and me Fatty Catty goes after that awesome Charm (assuming he knows it exists). =)

You are impressed with how pretty it looks, but as an Exalt yourself, you are not mesmerized by the beauty of the Agata and can still respond normally.
Great! Now I know how Da Chonk will respond when he sees it. =)

Psychie Psychie I don't want to be that PC who shows up and suddenly knows everything and everyone and all that's going on (unless you as the Storyteller specifically state this is true).

But if he has, say, been watching from the shadows (and knows "enough,"), what I would like to do as a Player is to recognize Aredin and Grey Stone, see that they're in trouble and basically without their gear. If Chowlett's Silent Glade left the door open to the most-impressive wagon in the caravan, might Fat Cat make the connection?

If the above is true, I'd like Fat Cat to transform into a gnat, fly under the door, become human, collect any and all gear he can carry (especially weapons and clothes for the ladies), return to gnat form, fly out of the wagon, and run up to Aredin and Grey Stone in his Fat Cat form with all of their gear. (I have no idea if this is possible, but that would be my overall plan if he knows these things?)

Psychie Psychie Option #2 (even easier): If the locked door is the type that can be opened from the other side, Fat Cat could just open the door, hop out of the wagon, hop into Fat Cat form, meow to get the Circle's attention (with that very big smile on his face, of course!), and indicate the now wide-open door with a happy wave of his paw. =)

That way, he wouldn't have to touch a thing (I don't know if doing so would complicate things, plus it's the Circle's property plus whatever else Kerwin has in there). =)

EDIT: Or he could just show up and say, "Hi!" Whatever is best for the game? =)

Last edited:
Just an observation, take it as you will. Locks, like doors, walls, and boxes, can be broken. Unlike Kerwin, we don't necessarily care if the lock can be used again. Artifacts also don't tend to be fragile.

True dat! Da Chonk (if this is allowed) would rather get in without making a ruckus (bashing a door down), but why do that if he can sneak inside instead, right? =)

EDIT: Earlier, when I thought the Circle greatly outnumbered (and possibly "outgunned,") I had a thought that Da Chonk might show up in his Fat Cat form, notice the "best" wagon, grab it, and then run past the Circle pausing just long enough for them to hop on before he fled with the whole thing. That's exciting and Exalted-like, right? Hee hee! =)

Last edited:
I mean, we're not too far off from killing two birds with one stone... After all, hitting Kerwin upside the head with the wagon would certainly earn a snicker, maybe a giggle. He'd never see it coming thanks to the darkness penalties.

Maybe this example will clear it up.

Towering Beast Form lets you shapeshift into a Tyrant Lizard (if you have the shape) despite the fact that it's Legendary Sized. (ie. accessing naturally large shapes)

Mountainous Spirit Expression is what lets a mouse form (or any other form you have) meet a Tyrant Lizard at eye level. (ie. making normal/other shapes large)

I suspect in your case, the "Fat Cat" form will naturally have the Legendary Size merit and still be accessible through Towering Beast Form because that was the point of the spirit shape and the natural appearance of that form. I'm not sure what you and our ST agreed to so Psychie Psychie please correct me if I'm wrong here.
Rykon Rykon Ahaaa! That clears it up quite well, thank you! =)

Psychie required that I take Towering Beast Form to grant Fat Cat his "giant housecat" (or Cat Bus if you like the image) form. Thanks to our chatting and creativity together, he's got a Moonsilver armor/howdah to carry anybody along! Still (*chuckling*), the idea of a Godzilla-sized Fat Cat never crossed my mind until you brought it up! Ha haa! =)

I mean, we're not too far off from killing two birds with one stone... After all, hitting Kerwin upside the head with the wagon would certainly earn a snicker, maybe a giggle. He'd never see it coming thanks to the darkness penalties.
I'd thought of that too! Heh! Running over his guys (who are now rather distracted by the Agata, aren't they?), flattening Kerwin, and smiling at Grey Stone and Aredin (and their Circle buddies except for Silent Glade whom I highly doubt Fat Cat even knows is there). =)

As for Kerwin, I believe it was mentioned that Dragon-blooded people are very proud and often can't stand being humiliated? =)

Dannigan Dannigan In order for you to shift, sneak in, find the items, and get back out, it will take some time. You certainly can do so if you wish to give it a try.

Did you wish me to use my own dice in this game for you, my friend? If so, how do you approach the scene? I'll need to know your Dex + Stealth pool if I'm rolling for you.

Did you wish me to use my own dice in this game for you, my friend?
YES, PLEASE! You know how I operate! Polyhedrons over RP Nation Dice Roller foreeevaaaar! =)

In order for you to shift, sneak in, find the items, and get back out, it will take some time. You certainly can do so if you wish to give it a try.
Psychie Psychie Would it be faster (and "funner") for Fat Cat to grab the wagon, run over the goons and Kerwin (and hopefully not the beautifully-stealthed Silent Glade!) and show up to the Circle with (hopefully) their gear and clothes? I'd like this second approach as a first impression if you'll allow it, but if you don't, I understand!

What do you think?

It will certainly make a few waves.... lol

Yeah, if you want to, go ahead and pounce - I mean, jump right in!

There we go! Da Chonk has his first post in the game! Thanks for your help again in helping me get him there, everybody! =)

(Inspired in large part by Hayao Miyazaki's Cat Bus in his excellent animated film, My Neighbor Totoro!)
studio ghibli GIF

Hi! Catch up in-game then read this?

I changed Da Chonk's silent message from "need a ride?" to "could you use a hand?" as I think the second message conveys better what he wants to share with everyone. =)

And yeah. O Mighty Fat Cat has the same smile as the Cat Bus! Ain't it fuuun? =)

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, I'm just waiting for Kerwin's response to Amara's ultimatum as well as Da Chonk's charge. Otherwise, I don't think there's much I can add to the current scene without sounding repetitive.

Also, if it means anything I'm with Sherwood's implications of just rolling Join Battle if Kerwin resists or stalls any further.

Rykon Rykon I think you're on-target here.

Depending on how it goes, the Circle might not have to do battle at all or one may begin in the next scene or something else entirely. The way I see it, I am awaiting Psychie's magic as a Storyteller along with any requests she may have of us. =)

Meanwhile, I find myself going back through previous OOC posts here to further get everyone's advice into my head. Little by little, knowledge grows if curiosity is nurtured! =)

Last edited:
Psychie Psychie Cool that half of the guards took off and fled! =)

I don't know how the inside of Kerwin's wagon is set up. When Da Chonk's turn comes around, does it appear possible that he could quickly smash the wagon's inner door in? Maybe with the help of his Finding the Needle's Eye Charm?

Finding the Needle’s Eye (p. 180, Lunars)
Cost: 3m; Mins: Dexterity 2, Essence 1
Type: Supplemental
Keywords: Uniform
Duration: Instant
Prerequisite
Charms: None

The Lunar’s limbs flex and warp along unexpected angles to avoid obstacles between her and her prey. She rerolls (higher of Essence or 3) 1s on an attack roll and imposes a −1 penalty on her target’s Defense.

With Dexterity 4, the Lunar may attack a lower-Initiative enemy through full cover with an appropriate stunt, but he receives +3 Defense.

Protean: In shapes with a tail, tentacles, or similar flexible appendages, attacks with them reroll an additional 1.

If you wish to give it a shot, you can on your initiative. In your current form, you will have a hard time to fit inside all the way, but you can reach your hand in and try to bash the door open. That much of you will fit.

If you wish to give it a shot, you can on your initiative. In your current form, you will have a hard time to fit inside all the way, but you can reach your hand in and try to bash the door open. That much of you will fit.
And with the Charm's help? Could Da Chonk knock that door down in short order?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back