• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Into the Ruins - Exalted 3e OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Jaydude? Do you maybe want your character to know Fat Cat or Wren or both or neither?
I'm down with anything. Thinking Grey Stone could have come across Fat Cat during his own travels post-Exaltation. Probably wouldn't have had more than a friendly campfire chat though.

Actually, I do not see Mercy knowing or having had any previous contact or knowledge of Da Chonk at all, at least in the present sense.

With her close mystical connection to their past lives she may recognize Da Chonk’s past Lunar self from the Second Age if her past self was close to Da Chonk’s past lunar self. Very similar to the way she found her solar circle.

Beyond that, previously Mercy lived a very sheltered contained life as a Dynast’s slave, and I want to say she has not been free that long, and is still somewhat new to her Solar circle. She is a bit naive to the regular world (and with people) other than what she has learned about it in books. So I would say she has not run into Da Chonk before.
That makes sense to me! =)

When they do meet, I bet Da Chonk will see a bit of himself in Mercy when she expresses her naivete; he too is pulling that particular cart, you might say. =)

I'm down with anything. Thinking Grey Stone could have come across Fat Cat during his own travels post-Exaltation. Probably wouldn't have had more than a friendly campfire chat though.
Hey, one friendly campfire chat is better than nothing! When I saw the picture you used for Grey Stone (Gouken. Ryu and Ken's master from the Street Fighter series if I am not mistaken), I couldn't help but think of Gouken whom I like. I can imagine Grey Stone and Da Chonk having a single evening of philosophical goodness (I almost typed "godness." Hah!). I can also imagine Da Chonk appreciating every bit of wisdom that Grey Stone seems to carry with him.

Maybe Grey Stone taught Fat Cat something about life or about himself or his Artifacts or <insert any ideas you might have here>. =)

Most of what you mentioned is above my head (are the Fair Folk and the Dragon-blooded benefactors known as the Sidereal the same people?), but I'm betting that "Cult of the White Wraith" is that bunch that changed Aredin's life for the worse. For Aredin and Fat Cat to meet while traveling works. Perhaps Aredin or someone he knew wanted the services of a Transporter? Or perhaps the contacts Fat Cat made among the people he does business with reached out to Aredin for his expertise in dangerous matters?
A bit to unpack here so I'll take it one at a time. I'll be noting where things have multiple names as I go where I can remember and this happens a lot.

Fair Folk, aka the Raksha, are alien beings regarded as monsters to most of creation. They originate from the realm of chaos, the Wyld, outside the fringes of the world of creation. Due to events in the past, there are some pockets of Wyld areas in creation. The most notable of which is known as the Balorian crusade, where a Fae noble, Balor, decide that he would take advantage of an ongoing crisis within creation to invade it and unmake it. Thankfully they weren't successful and it's been just short of 800 years since.

The Dragon-Blooded are Exalts themselves! Originally chosen by the titan Gaia's children, the Five Dragons of the elements. By and large they have been doing their best to hold dominion over Creation for the past 2000 years or so roughly since they seized control from the Solars in the Great Usurpation. They have two primary factions and some lesser ones. The largest is known as both The Realm and the Scarlet Empire. It was run by the "Scarlet Empress" who saved creation from the Balorian Crusade using an ancient geomantic weapon called the Sword of Creation (aka the Realm Defense Grid) to wipe them out. It is now in the midst of succession squabbles because the Empress disappeared. The second largest faction was a military holdout of the previous Dragon-Blooded regime known as the Shogunate, they have largely restored the First Age city of Deheleshen into what is now known as Lookshy as the seat of their power. They are somewhat of a mercenary defense force for the surrounding region as well.

The Sidereals are the chosen of the five Goddesses of Fate and the stars. They mostly live in the heavenly realm of Yu Shan serving both as officials and field agents in the Celestial Bureaucracy. They planned the overthrow of the Solar Deliberative due to an excess of corruption and depravity in collaboration with the Dragon-Blooded. In order to cover their tracks from being audited by gods that weren't too happy with everything that had taken place, they implemented enough changes to the tapestry of Fate that one of its functions broke and distorted and somehow rendered them obscured. They now have to fabricate destinies to maintain a memorable identity for lower essence beings.

The Cult of the White Wraith is entirely a fabrication of my imagination for the sake of backstory. Historically they've relied on Fae (Fair Folk) related magics, but nothing really stopping them from dealing with other creatures like demons or ghosts.

If we want to branch out to include something in our PCs' Backgrounds, I think there are a number of ways we could do it. On Da Chonk's end, Aredin could have visited or befriended the kindly and secretive people of the One Village (the jungle-people that raised Da Chonk who live near the edge of the Wyld). It could be that Aredin helped the villagers in some great way and thus earned O Mighty Fat Cat's attention as they sought to repay Aredin for his good deeds. In this way, Fat Cat could be indebted to Aredin and thus, they opened up a business relationship with Aredin on the shady side and Fat Cat on the (mostly) legit side.
I'd have to double-check if the One Village was in the Wyld or not. If so, Aredin would likely have started off very cautious at best and outright hostile at worst. It's not that he hates wyld mutants, just that he might mistake them for being some fabrication of the Fair Folk.

I'd have to double-check if the One Village was in the Wyld or not.
Rykon Rykon Like your Cult of the White Wraith, I created the One Village for Fat Cat's background. They live in a jungle in (I think Psychie mentioned?) the Central-East area of Creation? Their village is bordered by a chunk of Wyld-tainted area the locals (again, my creation) call the Edge of the Wyld. This is where Fat Cat was both Exalted and mutated as a Lunar. =)

It's not that he hates wyld mutants, just that he might mistake them for being some fabrication of the Fair Folk.
Oh. From what you've described, the people of the One Village are anything but. Mortals to the last, Da Chonk (being a housecat "of unusual size" =) ) is the only Exalted or Wyld-tainted among them. If I use the term "Wyld-tainted," it's probably out of habit when I played Werewolf: the Apocalypse. =)

Rykon Rykon Like your Cult of the White Wraith, I created the One Village for Fat Cat's background. They live in a jungle in (I think Psychie mentioned?) the Central-East area of Creation? Their village is bordered by a chunk of Wyld-tainted area the locals (again, my creation) call the Edge of the Wyld. This is where Fat Cat was both Exalted and mutated as a Lunar. =)
Seems like a good chance he'd have visited before to see if there was any notable movements of Fae (Fair Folk) war bands or the like.

Nowadays though we can rest somewhat easy with the diplomatic immunity perk preventing certain opponents from opening with violence.

Rykon Rykon "Minor(Principle) Don't disturb me when I'm fishin'" - Ha ha! I love it! 8D

I notice Aredin is a serious, serious (five dots!) music lover? So are the inhabitants of the One Village. Perhaps they shared songs? =)

When it boils down to the bottom of the pot, what kind of relationship are you comfortable with Aredin and Fat Cat having? When I first read it, I thought there was enough in your Character sheet for me to get a good picture of Aredin. Hopefully the same is true of mine. I'd like for Aredin and Fat Cat to be buddies, even newly-made buddies, both of them having some commonalities. I think the whole reason Fat Cat is headed to the Circle in the first place is because he and Aredin had a deal and Aredin didn't show up (highly unlike him). Psychie is likely tweaking all of this in the shadows since Fat Cat v1.8 has no ties to the Guid.

This makes me curious. Aredin speaks Guild Cant, their secret language. But the Guild deals in slaves? What is Aredin's view of the Guild? (I think I could use different perspectives to tweak my one; I can't stand hypocrites and this whole "I work for the Guild but don't promote slavery even though they practice it" stance in anybody is just going to rub both me and Da Chonk wrong. But I'm open to ideas?)

NOTE: If anyone else out there has anything they want to chime in with, have at! I'm just typing for the fun and good times and thus enjoying the ending days of my vacation here! =)

Last edited:
This makes me curious. Aredin speaks Guild Cant, their secret language. But the Guild deals in slaves? What is Aredin's view of the Guild?
"The Guild is a global organization to the point where it has many of the same drawbacks as any nation. Just as the Realm is riddled with slaveholders and slave traders, they also make their money doing plenty of other things. House V'Neef trades in wines. Cynis, even, in foodstuffs. Ragara in loan capital. The trick is to know who you're dealing with if you want to keep your hands clean of any funny business. Have I kept my hands clean? On the whole no, but when it comes to human trafficking yes. I did what I needed to for what I still see as a proper purpose. To bring depraved butchers to justice. In order to do that, I had to learn how to walk and talk in dark places. I don't regret what I did and I'd do it again. I met many great people who are just doing the same thing anyone else is. Making a living. I also met many folks exploiting those down on their luck... and those people? Well, I've made sure they'll get their money's worth out of their Sijanese crypts."

I figured answering with his words would be clearer than speaking from the player's perspective.

It's more or less what you'd expect if you were told there was a city-state that was run by funeral directors and necromancers out of a giant graveyard to cater to ancestor cults in a fantasy world.

There is a wonderful podcast out there that goes into good detail on Exalted and Exalted 3rd edition (and some episodes on Exalted Essence). There are episodes about each of the Exalted types, each part of the world, as well as the 3rd Editon systems.

The podcast is called “Systematic Understanding of Everything: An Exalted Podcast”. It is done by a couple of writers of 3rd edition and someone unfamiliar with exalted. I found it on Spotify but I am sure it is in the other podcatchers. It helped me understand the current world and systems immensely.

Rykon Rykon "Minor(Principle) Don't disturb me when I'm fishin'" - Ha ha! I love it! 8D
This was a reference to a joke between a friend and me. I know no one here would get it, but it's still both appropriate and amusing to me at least.

I notice Aredin is a serious, serious (five dots!) music lover? So are the inhabitants of the One Village. Perhaps they shared songs? =)
Very likely! Anytime I've tried to play Aredin he's been a bard in some capacity, a good few of my other characters have as well. A bit of a nod to the first DnD game I was ever invited to participate in.

Eonivar Eonivar
Principle - Minor - "I like being able to create and cook my own food on my own..even if it is burnt"
This cracked me up! All that serious, heavy character description... then this! So there is a sense of humor under all that! Great! =)

The podcast is called “Systematic Understanding of Everything: An Exalted Podcast”. It is done by a couple of writers of 3rd edition and someone unfamiliar with exalted. I found it on Spotify but I am sure it is in the other podcatchers. It helped me understand the current world and systems immensely.
I think I found it on YouTube! Thanks for the lead, Eonivar! =)

"The Systematic Understanding of Everything: Opening the Mind's Gate - What Is Exalted?"

I figured answering with his words would be clearer than speaking from the player's perspective.
Rykon Rykon So basically, Aredin is in the same boat as Wren appears to be, seeing the Guild as means to an end and overall neutral/selfish organization? Hmm.

This was a reference to a joke between a friend and me. I know no one here would get it, but it's still both appropriate and amusing to me at least.
Hey, good times are good times and they're all the better when remembered long after! =)

Very likely! Anytime I've tried to play Aredin he's been a bard in some capacity, a good few of my other characters have as well. A bit of a nod to the first DnD game I was ever invited to participate in.
Cool!

So do you like the idea of Aredin and Da Chonk being buddies? Or just business associates of a friendly nature? Something else? I think Grey Stone and Da Chonk's first and only meeting has set a fine foundation for when they meet - I'm just trying to do the same for the same RP purpose. It's only a matter of time before Psychie works out how all of this gets put together and I'd like to be ready when the magic happens. =)

Yeah, that's good with me. I think buddies makes the most sense.
Terrific! I'll keep that Minor Tie: Aredin on his Intimacies list then. I think yours and Eonivar's Character Sheet's Intimacies gave me that idea with how their Intimacies reflect their feelings about their Circle.

Are there any songs perhaps on YouTube that strike Aredin's fancies? =)

* * *​

Sorry. I can't get my head wrapped around his Combat Stats.

For Health Levels, he has:
Health Levels
[ ] 0
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - [ ] -1
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - [ ] -2
[ ] -4
[ ] Incapacitated

But he's got Stamina 5 and two Ox-Body Technique Merits. Those say: If Stamina is 5, then he receives, "One -0, one -1, and one -2 health level." So shouldn't he have:

"[ ][ ][ ] 0" ?

But I'm the new guy here and maybe I've got it wrong somewhere? I want to write up a tab where I can quickly and easily understand what he "looks like" in Human form and what he looks like in DBT/Animal form with his Mutations.

But when these numbers here don't add up, I'm back to Confusion-land. I mean, someone who knows far more than I added these up. So why aren't they making sense to me?

My main issue is that I really don't know how Da Chonk adds up in a fight. In our Werewolf: the Apocalypse games, we have 7 Health Levels. I'm seeing Animal stats where creatures are hitting for twice that in a single attack? I just don't want to be a liability and I'll know more if I understand these Combat Stats better.

If someone can tell me where I'm going wrong here, I'll be glad to do all of the math and everything.

Last edited:
Are there any songs perhaps on YouTube that strike Aredin's fancies? =)
Hmmm, at first I was gonna say Go by Bump of Chicken but their new track Souvenir is a really fun one too. I'll also throw in Ventura Highway by America while we're here.

But he's got Stamina 5 and two Ox-Body Technique Merits. Those say: If Stamina is 5, then, "5: One -0, one -1, and one -2 health level." But I'm the new guy here and maybe I've got it wrong somewhere? I want to write up a tab where I can quickly and easily understand what he "looks like" in Human form and what he looks like in DBT/Animal form with his Mutations.
Ok, I see where the mixup is. So Lunars get a total of four health levels at Stamina 5. Two -1s and two more -2s. You should have 6 of each all said and done. This looks correct to me.

I'm seeing Animal stats where creatures are hitting for twice that in a single attack?
Keep in mind that's dice of withering damage (which doesn't go directly against the health track unless it's against a battle group). your soak also directly reduces that down to minimum damage (overwhelming rating) for the attack if your soak is high enough. Given other numbers at play, you'll rarely benefit from going above a soak of about 19 or 20 or so cause even strength 5 with a heavy artifact weapon struggles to match that number much less exceed it.

To deal damage against the health track you have to accrue initiative to have a damage dice pool to roll. Also, because it was decided to make a special edge case... 10s don't count as 2 successes for dealing damage against the health track (unless magic says it does, as always). Don't worry, the odd breaking of an otherwise universal pattern is abrasive to a lot of other folks as well.

My main issue is that I really don't know how Da Chonk adds up in a fight. In our Werewolf: the Apocalypse games, we have 7 Health Levels. I'm seeing Animal stats where creatures are hitting for twice that in a single attack? I just don't want to be a liability and I'll know more if I understand these Combat Stats better.
Tldr; Damage totals in the quick stats are very misleading. Don't let that intimidate you. We can coach you through showing off how Mighty the Fat Cat really is without too much trouble. Da Chonk has 15 health levels right now and most tough opponents will have 10 MAYBE 13 if they're a combat-hardened supernatural badass. With Warform you're effectively doubling your strength for withering damage for the whole scene too. So this Chonk is made of muscle and tough as nails to boot.

Last edited:
Ok, I see where the mixup is. So Lunars get a total of four health levels at Stamina 5. Two -1s and two more -2s. You should have 6 of each all said and done. This looks correct to me.
Da Chonk has 15 health levels right now
6 of each health level (in 0, -1, and -2) but 15 in total? That's 18 before his -4 and Incapacitated. I'm misunderstanding something here.

Keep in mind that's dice of withering damage (which doesn't go directly against the health track unless it's against a battle group). your soak also directly reduces that down to minimum damage (overwhelming rating) for the attack if your soak is high enough. Given other numbers at play, you'll rarely benefit from going above a soak of about 19 or 20 or so cause even strength 5 with a heavy artifact weapon struggles to match that number much less exceed it.
So this Total Soak is good enough for our game. Great! I wanted Fat Cat to be tough and strong and he really is! In Werewolf: the Apocalypse games it was not so unusual for even young Garou (werewolves) to have Attributes well above 5 when they entered their different forms (Crinos especially). =)

Natural Soak: 5 (11 in Deadly Beastman Transformation/Animal)
Armored Soak: +8
Hardness +7
Mobility Penalty: -2 (-1 from Carapace, -1 from Unison)
Total Soak: 13 (19 in Deadly Beastman Transformation/Animal)

To deal damage against the health track you have to accrue initiative to have a damage dice pool to roll against the health track.
I think I'm going to have to learn that one as we go and just trust everyone. I'll get it eventually. That statement is probably going to take some time to sink in though I appreciate you sharing all of this with me. =)

Don't worry, the odd breaking of an otherwise universal pattern is abrasive to a lot of other folks as well.
I don't mind odd rules just as long as I have a basic understanding of them. And if I don't, I am just fine rolling the dice and having dear ol' Psychie tell me the results! Heh!

Tldr; Damage totals in the quick stats are very misleading. Don't let that intimidate you. We can coach you through showing off how Mighty the Fat Cat really is without too much trouble. Da Chonk has 15 health levels right now and most tough opponents will have 10 MAYBE 13 if they're a combat-hardened supernatural badass. With Warform you're effectively doubling your strength for withering damage for the whole scene too. So this Chonk is made of muscle and tough as nails to boot.
Ah! Terrific! I think I needed to hear it from someone who knows what they're doing. =)

Hmmm, at first I was gonna say Go by Bump of Chicken but their new track Souvenir is a really fun one too. I'll also throw in Ventura Highway by America while we're here.
I'll have a listen! =)

6 of each health level but 15 in total? That's 18. I'm misunderstanding something here.
Baseline health levels count 7 in total for a starting player character. You've bought 8 more. 6 of each was meant to refer to the -1 set and the -2 set (the two you start with, and then the extras you purchased. There's still one -0, one -4, and one incap health level.

So as a refresher baseline for a starting character is:
[ ] 0
[ ][ ] -1
[ ][ ] -2
[ ] -4
[ ] Incapacitated

Each individual purchase of Ox-Body Technique adds two to -1 and two to -2. You did that twice, so you end up with:
[ ] 0
[ ][ ] | [ ][ ] | [ ][ ] -1
[ ][ ] | [ ][ ] | [ ][ ] -2
[ ] -4
[ ] Incapacitated

I tried to bold the additional health levels and separate them by purchase. Hopefully the visual helps.

I'm reminded of the Pillows for their music on the FLCL (Fooly Cooly) soundtrack. Their sound is more rock and roll and has much of this energy that Bump of Chicken displays. =)

Each individual purchase of Ox-Body Technique adds two to -1 and two to -2. You did that twice, so you end up with:
O.K.. Somehow "chopping it up" (separating the Health Levels like that) makes it a bit easier to understand! =)

His Health Levels are the same in all of his forms, correct? His DBT and Animal form Mutations add to his Soak and whatnot, but not in human form.

Also, are his DBT/Animal form statistics the same when he is using his Emerald Grasshopper Forms and Towering Beast Forms? Psychie asked me to build up a menagerie of known forms via his Heart's Blood 3 Merit.

Hi Psychie! 8D I'm flooding your OOC with hyperactivity-fueled curiosities again! I love learning all of this! Ha ha! =)

Again Rykon Rykon , jaydude jaydude and Sherwood Sherwood I have to thank you guys for stepping up and helping out as much as you have. It really is appreciated by me.
Psychie Psychie I take it you approve of their recommendations and can include them in Da Chonk's character sheet?

Rykon Rykon I've always liked America's clean, easy sound. Don't think I've heard this one (though I very likely own it on their Greatest Hits CD). =)

jaydude jaydude I see a cookie from Jaydude too! Hi Jay! =)

Sherwood Sherwood RP Nation sez Sherwood, my oldest bud, is on too. Heya Bubba! 8D

His Health Levels are the same in all of his forms, correct? His DBT and Animal form Mutations add to his Soak and whatnot, but not in human form.

Also, are his DBT/Animal form statistics the same when he is using his Emerald Grasshopper Forms and Towering Beast Forms? Psychie asked me to build up a menagerie of known forms via his Heart's Blood 3 Merit.
Before I get distracted again, is this correct?

I'm reminded of the Pillows for their music on the FLCL (Fooly Cooly) soundtrack. Their sound is more rock and roll and has much of this energy that Bump of Chicken displays. =)
It's been a long time since I watched the show or seen the manga for FLCL, I agree. I like the energy of the music and for this artist in particular.

Rykon Rykon I've always liked America's clean, easy sound. Don't think I've heard this one (though I very likely own it on their Greatest Hits CD). =)
Definitely agreed. I like the energy of the other songs a bit more but I like the easy-going sound they have with their music. We've had CDs for them on repeat for a family road trip before and it's become something most of us have etched into memory.

This is in all of his forms, correct? His DBT and Animal form Mutations add to his Soak and whatnot, but not in human form.
This is correct. Your natural traits are never reduced from shapeshifting. They can only improve.

Also, are his DBT/Animal form statistics the same when he is using his Emerald Grasshopper Forms and Towering Beast Forms?
So DBT is a specific form that is kind of a modification of your human form in some ways. As it stands the charms Emerald Grasshopper and Towering Beast enable you to assume specific animal forms in your Heartsblood Library. There is an enhancement to Towering Beast Form called Mountainous Spirit Expression that will allow you to stack Towering Beast Form with DBT (basically just makes your DBT really large, mechanically it just adds the Legendary Size Merit)

On the whole though, my previous statement applies. Your traits are never reduced by shapeshifting. However, in the case of significant size changes, I think it's probably fair that the ST scales certain physical actions appropriately depending on the context. For example, Strength 5 as a mouse probably shouldn't have the same feat of strength scale as a Strength 5 Godzilla. No weak dinosaurs allowed.

How does Fat Cat wish to approach the caravan? Do you do so openly in your giant cat form, or do you do something else?
Psychie Psychie The Agata is a big demon wasp-thing that's very pretty and therefore it has some kind of mesmerizing power that make people give it a friendly Minor Tie? Before I have Fat Cat enter, he is a supernatural creature himself.

What effect does the Agata have on him, please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back