• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Into the Ruins - Exalted 3e IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Upon splashing her face with water Mercy's eyes snap open and seemed to gleam with recognition upon thinking about the situation. She dries her face with a towel and stands up, a determined look in her face, she removes her hijab and stows it in her satchel. Mercy loosens her hair about her shoulders and looks at Da Chonk, Amara, and Silent Glade with a resolute expression and tone.

"We go to our circle and friends."

She reaches up to touch her forehead to summon her sorcery, a gesture familiar to Amara and Silent Glade.

"I think there is some sort of Sorcery that is slowly sucking the life out of the inhabitants of this town, which would replenish during the day"

Mercy's green eyes flash a fiery orange as she connects again with her elemental patron and begins to channel its power. She pauses , her eyes widening her face taking that momentary look of rapturous pleasure as the power channeled through her. She takes a breath and continues to speak while focusing.

"Someone or something must be draining it for some reason. Could be a sorcerer, a spirit, a demon, or something else."

She reaches down and touches the chakra point at the center of her chest, the other three could see the glow of her tattoo runes peek under neath her clothing, and then she touches the third chakra at her stomach, invoking her Invulnerable Skin of Bronze spell. Her skin seemed to briefly flash orange and then cool to that shiny bronze color of her now armored form. The floors creaked some responding to her now heavier weight. She flexed her fingers marveling at that work of her magic but she continued to glow with power and fire as she was not done yet. She began to recall strong emotions...memories of love, hate, fear, lust.

"I am not going to stand idol if are separated."

Merciful Fire of Emancipation glowed brightly then reached with two hands at her heart and pulled forth a fiery sword, a large two handed scimitar as the emotions faded from her face, those feelings now consolidated in the flaming blade in her hands. Her green eyes marveled at the blade that she let go of as it floated before her. With a flash of light the flaming sword seemed to coalesce into a small glowing ball of light maybe about the size of an orange that floated about her protectively.

She then reached back and unsheathed Black Wind and held it at her side. Mercy was calm and focused and ready to fight.

"Let's go and find our friends, and find out what is draining this town's life energy."

Amara gives off a predatory grin. "Yes! I am not one to sit idly by and let these people suffer, and if there is a way to end their suffering, you will have my sword. Lets do this!"

She pauses for a moment, then says, "If we travel rooftop to rooftop, we may be able to get through the city to the source of that glow without having to deal with scads of zombie-like townspeople that we want to avoid killing extra dead if we can avoid it. I can give someone a lift if it is needed."
Health Levels
-0 [ ]
-1 [ ][ ][ ]
-2 [ ][ ][ ][ ]
-4 [ ]
I [ ]

Willpower: 8
Essence: 1
Personal: 13
Peripheral: 33 / 14
Committed: 19

Join Battle: 9 +3i
Form Charm Join Battle: 11

Parry: 6
Evasion: 4
Resolve: 2
Guile: 1

Natural Soak: 3
Armored Soak: +8, Hardness 7
Hearthstone Soak: 2
Total Soak: 13

Weapons
Destiny

Attunement: 5m
Type: Light (+5 ACC, +10 DMG, +0 DEF, OVW 3)
Tags: Lethal, Melee, Balanced

Evocations of Destiny
A user of Destiny may change the result of one die on an attack or damage roll, moving it up or down one digit. For example if a player rolls seven dice with the results “5, 6, 7, 7, 8, 2, 10,” they can change one of the dieʼs digits. In the above example, they might change the “6” up one digit to a “7” thus adding an additional successes. The magic of Destinyʼs evocations directly relates to the numbers rolled on dice. As such some players may also choose to decrease a number rolled.

Evocations of Fire Dancer
A user of Fire Dancer may place one of their Intimacies, which must be Defining, as their “innermost desire”. While the Intimacy is set and Fire Dancer is worn the user increases their Withering Damage by 4 when fighting for a cause related to the Intimacy.

Aredin continues sprinting forward as he considers his approach to the suspicious mansion. Giving Gray Stone a look with a grin he turns slightly to one side, bolts up the ramp of a parked cart, strides across a stack of wooden crates vaults toward the low wall in a bounding leap to clear it while avoiding arms reach of the changed villagers as best as he can.

[OOC: I presume Monkey Leap Technique should be plenty to clear the wall?]

Pardon me if I've posted this one earlier in the game somewhere. This is such a good jam - especially when it hits about the 2:00 mark where this song spreads its wings and lifts up into musical flight. Just... yeah!

"Forerunners - Ronin"

Inside O Mighty Fat Cat's nearly-barricaded room, Amara and Mercy had suddenly performed an about-face. Even Silent Glade was in on it.

"Let's go and find our friends, and find out what is draining this town's life energy."

How matters had changed in just a handful of moments, thought Da Chonk. What a conundrum! To go from nearly-unanimously hiding out in safety at the earnest behest of about every villager they spoke to throwing safety out the door and following it? A small smile creaked across his large lips. There was only one person O Mighty Fat Cat knew could take all matters like this from one extreme to another.

Aredin.

This had to be Aredin's doing. The Embracer of Chaos, the Bard of Unknowable Paths, and the Magnetic Attracter of All Things Adventurous, Aredin was all of these things while Grey Stone was far too wise and caution-minded to leap out into such a night like this.

For Da Chonk, this put the nail in the coffin. Aredin was the de facto leader of the Circle here whether or not the other Solars realized it or not. And to this, O Mighty Fat Cat could not at all mind. He trusted Aredin to be Aredin. Perhaps this was some strange Exalted power Da Chonk had no knowledge of? No, thought the jungle-wizened Lunar. This was just what it was like to have the bold man in one's company.

Upon reaching this conclusion, O Mighty Fat Cat's only immediate concern was the state of his own being. There was just so much about being an Exalted, about being one of Luna's Chosen, that he did not know and being the only Lunar in the group did not change this. O Mighty Fat Cat took a deep breath of self-control and closed his eyes in momentary meditation. The question he needed to answer lest he invite death and dismay was simple - was he fit to fight right now? He searched his spirit, his feelings, his mental state, and (of most concern) his physical state all in a matter of moments.

To his surprise, he was ready enough! He knew that a Lunar's constitution could be incredible in both its limits and its restorative benefits, but this? And after a full meal? So be it, thought he!

She pauses for a moment, then says, "If we travel rooftop to rooftop, we may be able to get through the city to the source of that glow without having to deal with scads of zombie-like townspeople that we want to avoid killing extra dead if we can avoid it. I can give someone a lift if it is needed."
Sherwood Sherwood

With his naturally deep voice that carried like the rumbling of thunder, O Mighty Fat Cat agrees. "Amara," his mere mention of her name seems to gently rebound off of the walls of the room. "Allow me to not only take you up on your offa, but to make de burden upon your body easier!"

Calling upon his Heart's Blood, O Mighty Fat Cat hops into the air and suddenly seemingly vanishes inside the room of the inn. But those with quick eyes see the massively manly form of Da Chonk has transformed into something smaller, less obtrusive, and with senses beyond most of humankind and many Exalted:

Per his Heart's Blood power, O Mighty Fat Cat transforms into an Egyptian fruit bat (a.k.a. "flying foxes" for their flight, small size, terrific eyesight, and echolocation).

Egyptian Fruit Bat from Nature Portfolio.png
(Image credit: Nature Portfolio)

If Amara allows, Da Chonk lands on her shoulder opposite of her sword-arm (since that arm was severed just below the shoulder, it likely makes a great landing spot for a folded-up little bat that could fit into her hand).

Mercy glances from Amara to then the appearance of Da Chonk and his change of form, and she gives a grin to the Lunar marveling in his powers. wondering what it is like to be able to take a different form. The Twilight Solar points with Black Wind to the window, the little wisp ball of her flaming sword fluttering around her to not be in the way of her pointing. "Lead the way Amara, I will follow as best I can."

Silent Glade scurries back down to the window to tell the others what he sees, and finds them all in a state of high readiness. Information passed on, he returns to the roof-ridge and heads for the manor, keeping pace with Mercy and Amara.

Aredin continues sprinting forward as he considers his approach to the suspicious mansion. Giving Gray Stone a look with a grin he turns slightly to one side, bolts up the ramp of a parked cart, strides across a stack of wooden crates vaults toward the low wall in a bounding leap to clear it while avoiding arms reach of the changed villagers as best as he can.

[OOC: I presume Monkey Leap Technique should be plenty to clear the wall?]
Trusting in Aredin to find a point from which they could both jump over the waves of the townspeople, Grey Stone ran after him and followed his lead, channelling his own Essence in a leap that would hopefully take him into the walled compound.

Going to spend Peripheral Essence on Monkey Leap Technique as well.

Since Grey Stone and Aredin started out first, they are closer to the strange glow coming from the area around the large manor house. Looking around, the two of you get a better look at the street leading up to the low wall and you can see that taking a higher path across the nearby buildings will allow you to bypass most if not all the zombie-like residents of the town.

Getting closer to the manor, it becomes clear that the purplish glow is not around the house, but is in actuality coming from behind the manor. With another use of your Charm of Monkey Leap Technique, you are both able to make the leap across the narrow street and over the low wall into the well manicured lawn. You are now on ground level in the front yard of the manor. How do you approach the backside of the manor? In stealth? Or more rapidly? If you decide to sneak, give me some Dex + Stealth roll and a Perception + Awareness roll.

For the rest of the Circle, you make your way up to the rooftop and can see that it is possible to leap from building to building with relative ease and avoid the handful of transformed locals that are wandering the streets. Like a typical person, the walking dead-like residents of the town do not look up unless you do something to call attention to yourselves. As you leap, you also can see now that the glow is coming from behind the manor, and is not the building itself. You will be able to make your last jump across the narrow street and over the low wall of the manor in just a few more leaps.

Amara takes Mercy in her one good arm and pulls her in close, along with the now much smaller Fat Cat on her other shoulder, trusting that she is strong enough to be able to make the needed Essence enhanced leaps across the various streets. Landing lightly on the rooftops, she says, "I may be wrong, but it looks like that glow is coming from the backside of the big house, and is not the house itself. I'll get us as close as I can."
Health Levels
-0 [ ]
-1 [ ][ ][ ]
-2 [ ][ ][ ][ ]
-4 [ ]
I [ ]

Weapons
Destiny

Evocations of Destiny
A user of Destiny may change the result of one die on an attack or damage roll, moving it up or down one digit. For example if a player rolls seven dice with the results “5, 6, 7, 7, 8, 2, 10,” they can change one of the dieʼs digits. In the above example, they might change the “6” up one digit to a “7” thus adding an additional successes. The magic of Destinyʼs evocations directly relates to the numbers rolled on dice. As such some players may also choose to decrease a number rolled.

A user of Fire Dancer may place one of their Intimacies, which must be Defining, as their “innermost desire”. While the Intimacy is set and Fire Dancer is worn the user increases their Withering Damage by 4 when fighting for a cause related to the Intimacy.

From Amara's shoulder, O Mighty Fat Bat, er... Cat, uses this form's keen eyesight and echo location to try and spot would-be threats (and anything else he might happen to find) as they bound across the town's rooftops.

Inside his own mind, the jungle deliverer frets a little. "How I wish I could convey words to my Solar friends in animal form. Or even betta - I wish we knew what Aredin an' Grey Stone were knowing now?" It is a question that will have to wait as he focuses on his situational awareness for the sake of the Circle.

Last edited:
Aredin lands in a tumble, rolling into a crouch. He scans the interior courtyard of the manor with a couple of quick glances and holds up a hand to signal a slow to their charge. He speaks in a low voice, "We're very close, looks like the source is outside the house proper around back. Slow and quiet from here just in case we find a surprise or two closer to the center of this mess." Aredin punctuates the seriousness of the moment by drawing Adorei from her scabbard. For the undead masses of the villagers, he'd preferred to merely hold them at bay. However, what comes next may demand lethal force instead.

[Thought I had made a post to this effect already, woops]

Aredin lands in a tumble, rolling into a crouch. He scans the interior courtyard of the manor with a couple of quick glances and holds up a hand to signal a slow to their charge. He speaks in a low voice, "We're very close, looks like the source is outside the house proper around back. Slow and quiet from here just in case we find a surprise or two closer to the center of this mess." Aredin punctuates the seriousness of the moment by drawing Adorei from her scabbard. For the undead masses of the villagers, he'd preferred to merely hold them at bay. However, what comes next may demand lethal force instead.

"A most prudent course of action." Grey Stone replied, hefting Faith's Pillar in both his big hands, and following the younger man's lead.

Personal Essence: 13/13
Peripheral Essence: 28/33
Anima: Glowing

Willpower: 6/7
Join Battle: 5
Health Levels: -0, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1,-1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -3, Incapacitated
Resolve 3, Guile 1

Attacks
Faith's Pillar (10 dice Withering, 8 dice Decisive, Withering Damage 18, Overwhelming 5, Bashing, Melee, Reaching, Smashing, Two-Handed)
Unarmed (13 dice Withering, 8 dice Decisive, Withering Damage 15, Overwhelming 1, Bashing, Brawl, Grappling, Natural)

Actions
Rush: 6
Disengage: 6

Evasion 4, Parry 4
Soak/Hardness: 4/0

Rykon Rykon and jaydude jaydude

Moving as silently as possible, the two of you manage to make your way around the edge of the mansion without drawing the attention of the zombies to yourselves. Looking out, you spot an unpleasant scene in front of you. The source of the glow is a large cauldron with a roaring purple flame coming from it, lighting up the night and providing a good look at the area in front of you. There are six figures wearing robes that are standing in a rough circle around the cauldron with their hands raised up in the air, chanting in some foreign language to you. At this point, you are at medium range to the group chanting around the fire, and you don't believe you have been spotted.

In addition to the six around the fire, there are about two dozen of the zombified townspeople shambling about what looks like a small cemetery, probably the plots of the deceased members of the family that calls the manor house their home.

Sherwood Sherwood Chowlett Chowlett Eonivar Eonivar Purr Purr

Leaping from rooftop to rooftop, the four of you are nearly at the huge house that is ground zero of the glow. Aredin and Grey Stone will be there before you, but not for long.

Moving as silently as possible, the two of you manage to make your way around the edge of the mansion without drawing the attention of the zombies to yourselves. Looking out, you spot an unpleasant scene in front of you. The source of the glow is a large cauldron with a roaring purple flame coming from it, lighting up the night and providing a good look at the area in front of you. There are six figures wearing robes that are standing in a rough circle around the cauldron with their hands raised up in the air, chanting in some foreign language to you. At this point, you are at medium range to the group chanting around the fire, and you don't believe you have been spotted.

In addition to the six around the fire, there are about two dozen of the zombified townspeople shambling about what looks like a small cemetery, probably the plots of the deceased members of the family that calls the manor house their home.

"It would seem that we have found our culprits in this affair." Grey Stone said to Aredin in a quiet rumble. He then looked over the hooded figures, trying to gauge what they were. What was happening all seemed too much to be the work of some dark being's mortal acolytes.

Personal Essence: 13/13
Anima: Glowing

Health Levels: -0, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1,-1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -3, Incapacitated
Resolve 3, Guile 1

Attacks
Faith's Pillar (10 dice Withering, 8 dice Decisive, Withering Damage 18, Overwhelming 5, Bashing, Melee, Reaching, Smashing, Two-Handed)
Unarmed (13 dice Withering, 8 dice Decisive, Withering Damage 15, Overwhelming 1, Bashing, Brawl, Grappling, Natural)

Actions

Evasion 4, Parry 4

The source of the glow is a large cauldron with a roaring purple flame coming from it, lighting up the night and providing a good look at the area in front of you.

O Mighty Fat Cat takes one sour look at the flaming cauldron and thinks, "Dis is not me idea of a 'home-cooked meal.'" Using his little bitty wing to push a lock of Amara's hair out of his little bitty way, Fat Bat (Cat!) tries to use his bat-senses' echo-location to find anything his keen eyes and ears might miss.

Mercy, trying not to blush too much in Amara's grasp and also trying not to show that she kind of enjoyed the closeness, hung on to the larger woman's one armed grasp and struggled to focus out with her Spirit Sight to keep an eye out for any possible hidden spirits or demons.

"This is an awful lot to arrange every single night like clockwork. I'd wager they are trying to progress toward something and judging from the overflow," Aredin punctuates with a vague gesture to their surroundings, "I'll bet it leads to nothing good. So the sooner it stops the better."

The eclipse drops lower than he already was building tension in his legs before bounding back into the air above the ritual. Adorei gleamed overhead then drove down in a swing with the full weight of Aredin behind it upon one of the nearest culprits, hopefully cleaving them in twain.

Last edited:
Rykon Rykon In order for you to close into melee range with one of the six at the cauldron, you'll need to use some sort of Charm to boost your movement. You are currently at medium range to the six there, unless you want to hit one of the shambling zombies instead.

What do you wish to do?

Last edited:
Since he's not wanting to do lethal damage to the animated villagers, he's just going to rush those at the cauldron til he's in range for the attack.

As Aredin is rushing forward, sword raised up and ready to strike, the six at the cauldron don't seem to notice him until he is nearly up on them. By this point, all they have time to do is give a look of shock in the middle of their chanting before he is in a position to attack.

jaydude jaydude what is Grey Stone doing? Is he running forward with Aredin? Or is he doing something else entirely?

Farther back, the last four of our circle manage to make the final leap into the manors' back yard and toy are able to see Aredin (and maybe Grey Stone) rushing headlong at the six people around the fiery cauldron, ignoring the twenty or so zombies that are shambling about.

This puts you at medium range from the fire and the six hooded figures.

Time for Join Battle rolls!

Chowlett Chowlett Sherwood Sherwood Rykon Rykon Eonivar Eonivar Purr Purr jaydude jaydude

After Amara puts her down, Mercy pats Amara's arm in thanks, and then steps up to assess the situation while reaching back and drawing Black Wind. She could feel the cold soulsteel skyblade's eagerness to draw blood. She peered at the situation using her spirit sight making sure there were no hidden surprises.

Roll Join Battle = 5 Dice = 1 success

Essence Rating: 1
Personal Essence Pool: 10/13
Peripheral Essence Pool: 33/33
Attuned Essence: 8
Willpower: 6/6
Free Willpower from Cult (Recharges once per story): 3/3
Health Levels
Incapacitated

Natural Soak With Invulnerable Skin of Bronze (Control) invoked = 9 + Hardness 6

Active Effects: Invulnerable Skin of Bronze, Virtuous Guardian of Flame, Spirit-Detecting Glance

Leaping lightly from rooftop to yard wall and then down to the ground, Silent Glade takes advantage of the strange flickering light emanating from The Cauldron. Its unnatural light making shapes harder to read, he presses himself into the deepest patch of shadow he can find, and plans his route to the inner circle.

Blinding Battle Feint to Join Battle using Dex + Stealth. Remembering my Belt this time (+3 dice).
Hmm, not great. 1m, 1wp to reroll keeping those three 10s...
JB initiative = roll + 3 = 19 initiative

Essence Rating: 1
Personal Essence Pool: 13/13
Peripheral Essence Pool: 19/23 (/33 total)
Attuned Essence: 10
Willpower: 3/5
Free Willpower from Cult (Recharges once per story): 1/1
Health Levels
Incapacitated

Natural Soak: 5

Last edited:
Amara lets Mercy slip from her grip with a squeeze, then she reaches for her sword as she sees Aredin charging at the robed figures around the cauldron. "It looks like we have found our culprits for the curse that has afflicted this town. Lets end their torment and be done with this." With Destiny in hand, she leaps forward into the fray.

Join Battle: 9i
Health Levels
-0 [ ]
-1 [ ][ ][ ]
-2 [ ][ ][ ][ ]
-4 [ ]
I [ ]

Weapons
Destiny

Evocations of Destiny

jaydude jaydude what is Grey Stone doing? Is he running forward with Aredin? Or is he doing something else entirely?

As Aredin rushed forward to attack the cauldron, Grey Stone drew out Faith's Pillar and followed him at a slower pace, instinctively opting to hang back a little. He put it down to having an old man's sense of caution. At the same time though, he readied himself for fighting.

[Grey Stone is going to start off within Short Range of the cauldron and hooded figures. Base Join Battle Roll of 5; spending 4m Personal Essence on my Excellency to bring it up to 9.

9 starting initiative.]
Personal Essence: 9/13
Anima: Dim

Resolve 3, Guile 1

Attacks

Actions

Evasion 4, Parry 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back