• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Into the Ruins - Exalted 3e IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Entering the tower, it is not what you were expecting. The room is a massive dome over two hundred feet across and high, much bigger than the tower you just entered by a sizable amount.

Evenly spaced around the dome are a series of eight doors including the one you came through, all intricately inlaid with gold and other precious metals.

In the floor are six warded summoning circles, all designed to contain whatever being that was called forth for whatever propose the caster had in mind.

Set next to one of the circles is a wooden cart loaded with incense, candles and chalk, along with other obscure materials.

Grey Stone decided that he might as well stick close to Mercy, given how she was the one who would have to exorcise Dunbar's spirit, and followed her into the tower.

Essence: 1
Personal Essence: 13/13
Peripheral Essence: 28/33
Anima: Glowing

Willpower: 6/7
Join Battle: 5
Health Levels: -0, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1,-1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -3, Incapacitated
Resolve 3, Guile 1

Attacks
Faith's Pillar (10 dice Withering, 8 dice Decisive, Withering Damage 18, Overwhelming 5, Bashing, Melee, Reaching, Smashing, Two-Handed)
Unarmed (13 dice Withering, 8 dice Decisive, Withering Damage 15, Overwhelming 1, Bashing, Brawl, Grappling, Natural)

Actions
Rush: 6
Disengage: 6

Evasion 4, Parry 4
Soak/Hardness: 4/0

Mercy gazes around the room in wonder. She gently removes her gloves and puts them in her pockets and runs a hand along the metal lines as she walked along the walkway around the room. With her memories of her past lives, the books she read on 1st and 2nd age sorcerers and their places of power, as well as her familiarity with Dynast Places of Sorcery, she thought about how this tower was arranged and which room was what and where.

Intelligence(5) + Occult(5) = 10 Dice = 5 successes

The rooms you find around the edge of the done are fairly mundane in nature; a series of living spaces and a place to sleep, a kitchen and storerooms. But the most interesting thing you come across is a very well stocked library and laboratory, still in pristine condition. This is where the old Solar did his research on magic and kept his notes on what he discovered.

Mercy's eyes widened upon finding the library. She had been on the run for some time and she missed the library. She struggled to not smile and laugh out loud when she found the room, she began to look excitedly around the library..and worked to focus on the problem at hand. She looked up at Grey Stone...

"I am not sure if I want to leave this place now...but I will do my best to focus on the task at hand."

She then went about to research the spell that bound the spirit and maybe his journal to find out the circumstances of his casting it.

Da Chonk never even thinks about touching Mercy. She has never given him permission. He takes note of her facial expressions and body language, while subtle, seem to show something of a internal struggle. At least that's the way the jungle-raised Lunar perceives it. As such, he continues on his own choice and respects her.

O Mighty Fat Cat's voice is deep like an ancient well, carrying through the night. In it, is a touch of mirth.

"When you live in a jungle, it becomes everything to you. De times when animals come across things dey cannot comprehend and things dey cannot control? Dese are causes for fear.

"So, de animal turns away to a safer place. Something dey can comprehend. Something dey got a betta chance of controlling.

"Dis tower? Dis is de place I find myself in now. And so, what else to do but wait and learn in de meantime?"

Unable to help in the tower or with the ghost, O Mighty Fat Cat draws his beloved sword and his newly-won devil caster and practices with them both (without firing the devil caster).

His practiced actions are smooth and graceful. Although at first he does not understand quite what to do with the pistol, he soon begins to work it out in his training and then he simply lets his mind and body follow.

Silent Glade looks around the library with impassive disdain. "Ah. Books. I will not be much help here; unless you can read them to me, Grey Stone?"

Mercy's eyes widened upon finding the library. She had been on the run for some time and she missed the library. She struggled to not smile and laugh out loud when she found the room, she began to look excitedly around the library..and worked to focus on the problem at hand. She looked up at Grey Stone...

"I am not sure if I want to leave this place now...but I will do my best to focus on the task at hand."

She then went about to research the spell that bound the spirit and maybe his journal to find out the circumstances of his casting it.
Silent Glade looks around the library with impassive disdain. "Ah. Books. I will not be much help here; unless you can read them to me, Grey Stone?"
Suddenly, a voice can be heard, saying, "You say the word 'books' with such disgruntlement. Books are a thing of wonder, nothing to turn your nose up at."

Turning around, you see a old man, probably in his late sixties, with a long beard and a bunch of laugh lines on his face all around his eyes. He is wearing robes of fine silk, with no sign of weapons or armor. Looking at him, you get the distinct impression that this is a ghost, but not one that is hostile towards you. Quite possibly the spirit of Dunbar himself.

He slowly walks into the room and takes a seat in one of the plush chairs. "It has been some time since there has been any Solars here. What brings you to my dusty home?"

If Silent Glade feels any surprise at being addressed by the long-dead spirit of the Manse's former owner, he conceals it well. With a very slight tilt of his head to one side, he responds: "I am a shaman. Our wisdom is passed down, mouth-to-ear, over generations. To pin those words to parchment and confine them in leather is like netting the wind, or tying a bird to a boulder. But other people have different words. You may do with yours as you choose."

The ghost of Dunbar tilts his head to one side, saying, "A shaman? There has been a fine tradition of shamans throughout all of Creation, serving their people with their knowledge for many years, so who am I to judge? To each their own, I would have to say. But still, you have not answered the question of what brings you here to what's left of my home. Are you here to lay claim to the knowledge that I have uncovered over the years? Or are you just exploring these old buildings?" He looks curious, and in no way is giving the impression of getting hostile in any way.

jaydude jaydude Purr Purr Chowlett Chowlett Rykon Rykon Sherwood Sherwood Eonivar Eonivar

Aredin steps forward with a bow, "Well, if you must know, we arrived to the manse seeking a few moments of rest and peace. As for why we're now here specifically, well your old buddy Cadence Raff can't reincarnate and his continued presence is bothering Antonia. So, I've bound Cadence to oaths of peaceful cooperation to leave once we can release whatever restraints are preventing him from returning to the cycle and making him watch over your remains. After which the plan has been performing proper death rites and cleaning up the place."

"A noble purpose, to be certain." The ghost nods as he speaks, then says, "But I think that you have overreached your capabilities with regards to my 'buddy' Cadence. The spell that binds him is one of the highest level of sorcery, one that I suspect that you lack the ability to release on your own, and with my death, I, too, have lost the ability to tap into sorcery anymore. However, with that being said, there is a way to make good on your oath to free him, and good riddance to the ill-mannered sot. I know of an artifact known as Spellbreaker that was made to undo existing spells of even the Solar Circle. The problem is that the last place that I know of it being kept is not going to be an easy recovery of the artifact."

Dunbar stands, and walks over to look at one of the books on the shelf. "The last that I have heard, Spellbreaker was interred with its last owner, a Lunar known by the name of Mor'du. He was buried in the graveyard in Rathess, the old city that was once the capitol of the Deliberative before it was moved to Meru on the Blessed Isle. This book tells of the various security steps that were made in order to protect the final resting place of that Chosen of Luna. If you use it, it will aid you in being able to gain access to the innermost chamber of the tomb of Mor'du where his physical remains are laid to rest with the various artifacts that he was known to use."

"So we're going to have to travel elsewhere to put Cadence to rest?" Grey Stone asked. "How far is Rathess from here?"

Health Levels: -0, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1,-1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -3, Incapacitated
Resolve 3, Guile 1

Attacks
Faith's Pillar (10 dice Withering, 8 dice Decisive, Withering Damage 18, Overwhelming 5, Bashing, Melee, Reaching, Smashing, Two-Handed)
Unarmed (13 dice Withering, 8 dice Decisive, Withering Damage 15, Overwhelming 1, Bashing, Brawl, Grappling, Natural)

Actions

Evasion 4, Parry 4

"You're telling us we have to go to Rathess!? On a hunch?" Eclipse rubbed his eyes in frustration for a moment. "That's almost 3000 miles away... by flight." Aredin trailed off. "That's not even accounting for whatever's settled into that place."

Aredin groaned, conflicted, "Ah, I always wanted to check the place out but on a proper expedition, not a hasty snatch and grab. You're sure this artifact is there Dunbar!?"

[For reference. An equivalent trip in our world would be DC to San Francisco in the States or Dublin to Istanbul in Europe. That's a hell of a road trip. On the plus side the Wyld hunt is going to be on the most confusing wyld goose chase.]

Last edited:
Mercy had listened to what was being said, almost being too shy to say something. She moved over and took the books that Dunbar had pointed out with the solution to their problems. Her setting sun anima symbol glowed when she bowed to him. "A thousand pardons, honored Twilight brother, I have not introduced myself, I am Merciful Fire of Emancipation...I am a trained sorceress and a scholar much like you were in life but still young in terms of my learning and skills. I appreciate you telling us about the spell and how to break it. Do you have a spell that I could learn that would enable us to travel long distances quickly? That would hasten this task immensely."

"You're telling us we have to go to Rathess!? On a hunch?" Eclipse rubbed his eyes in frustration for a moment. "That's almost 3000 miles away... by flight." Aredin trailed off. "That's not even accounting for whatever's settled into that place."

Aredin groaned, conflicted, "Ah, I always wanted to check the place out but on a proper expedition, not a hasty snatch and grab. You're sure this artifact is there Dunbar!?"

[For reference. An equivalent trip in our world would be DC to San Francisco in the States or Dublin to Istanbul in Europe. That's a hell of a road trip. On the plus side the Wyld hunt is going to be on the most confusing wyld goose chase.]
The old ghost nods. "Of course. I was there when he was laid to rest, back in the height of the First Age. He was instrumental in developing many of the common use spells that are still being used in this Age. It was quite the event, with many dignitaries arriving from across Creation and the Celestial City of Yu-Shan coming to honor him for his many gifts of knowledge that he gave out to those interested in learning. Spellbreaker will still be there, with the remains of Mor'du, waiting for the day that it is needed once more."
Mercy had listened to what was being said, almost being too shy to say something. She moved over and took the books that Dunbar had pointed out with the solution to their problems. Her setting sun anima symbol glowed when she bowed to him. "A thousand pardons, honored Twilight brother, I have not introduced myself, I am Merciful Fire of Emancipation...I am a trained sorceress and a scholar much like you were in life but still young in terms of my learning and skills. I appreciate you telling us about the spell and how to break it. Do you have a spell that I could learn that would enable us to travel long distances quickly? That would hasten this task immensely."
With a welcoming smile, he replies, "Well met, dear sister. It is good to see that the arts are still being learned by the Exalts of this Age." He then looks troubled, saying, "I can tell you a little about the magic used to trap the Sidereal that killed me, but much of what you need to know is still beyond your ability to understand. Please know that I mean no disrespect; but you are still very young in your Exaltation, and the spell I used took me decades of research and experimentation to develop. Until such time as you are capable of casting spells of the Solar Circle, it is beyond your capabilities for many years to come."

"But while I have lost most of my powers with my death, I still remember what I knew from when I was still alive. There are many spells that can be used to travel across long distances that I can teach you. It will take a little bit of time to learn, but I would be more than willing to teach you."

"But while I have lost most of my powers with my death, I still remember what I knew from when I was still alive. There are many spells that can be used to travel across long distances that I can teach you. It will take a little bit of time to learn, but I would be more than willing to teach you."
"We'd be here for roughly two weeks." Grey Stone commented, recalling what he understood about sorcery from his time in Lookshy. "Assuming we can stay that long, would everyone be okay with that?"

Resolve 3, Guile 1

Attacks

Actions

Evasion 4, Parry 4

As everyone is spending time inside the tower, Amara is sitting around outside with Da Chonk and Antonia. She finally lets out a snort, saying, "I don't know about you guys, but I'm wondering what is going on inside there. Care to come along with me? We can see what kind of trouble we are getting into."

"I know a little sorcery myself", adds Silent Glade. "I could fly there as the birds; or I and one other could travel upon a cloud."

He thinks for a moment before adding regretfully "Neither method is especially fast. I could fly there in perhaps two weeks; by cloud, twice as long."

[OOC: I'm not sure how slow; I don't have the book on my phone! Will check later]
[OOC 2: Oh, really slow]

Last edited:
As everyone is spending time inside the tower, Amara is sitting around outside with Da Chonk and Antonia. She finally lets out a snort, saying, "I don't know about you guys, but I'm wondering what is going on inside there. Care to come along with me? We can see what kind of trouble we are getting into."
Sherwood Sherwood Psychie Psychie

O Mighty Fat Cat continues his workout with blade and firearm as extensions of the body Luna gave him. His movements are as soft as a light rain until it comes time to strike, parry, or "shoot. Then he becomes a thunderstorm. His moves are like sudden blasts of lightning, happening quickly and receding just as quickly, leaving behind great change in his wake. That he is new to firearms is clear, but how else does one achieve anything besides hard work and dilligent practice?

Da Chonk does not pause in his imaginary fighting as he speaks. "You go, warrior Amara. Dese are Solar mattas afta all."

A swipe, a step, and a "shot" later, he grins. "I will join you if I am invited by those already dere. Besides, Antonia here has been a wonderful hostess nd I would not so quickly leave her to de solitude she appears to know so well." The ebony-skinned deliverer offers a friendly and appreciative nod to the wood elemental.

"Come Antonia. What would you like to talk about?"

Last edited:
Amara nods in understanding. "Don't count yourself short with my fellows, my good Lunar. I am sure that your presence would be a welcome one if you were to change your mind. That being said, I will go and investigate to see what the others are into. I'll be back with a report soon enough." With a smile, the Dawn Caste rises and carefully makes her way over to the tower that the others are in.

As she opens the door and looks in for the first time, her eyes open wide. The insides of this tower are larger than the outside! This is amazing! Truly the old Solars had powers beyond imagining! Looking around, Amara tries to spot where the rest of the Circle has gone, calling out, "Hello? Where is everyone?"

"Come Antoinia. What would you like to talk about?"
She smiles at Fat Cat, settling in to be more comfortable as she sits next to you. "My goodness. Aren't you just a dear? Well, if we are going to discuss things of my choosing, would you tell me more of Creation away from this glen? I have only traveled away from here twice to go to Yu-Shan many years ago, and even those trips were hardly grand tours. What is it like away from here?" Antonia looks at the powerful Lunar warrior with a wistful expression on her face, obviously lost in the vicarious joy of traveling from the point of view of Da Chonk.
As she opens the door and looks in for the first time, her eyes open wide. The insides of this tower are larger than the outside! This is amazing! Truly the old Solars had powers beyond imagining! Looking around, Amara tries to spot where the rest of the Circle has gone, calling out, "Hello? Where is everyone?"
When Amara calls out, the ghost of Dunbar looks up with interest. "Another visitor? How exciting! Lets see who it is!" He stands up and pokes his head out the door of the library and quickly spots the Dawn Caste. "Be careful out there! Do not walk into any of the summoning circles or you might be trapped in there until I can show your companions how to release you." He waves his hand, indicating that Amara should come and join everyone in the library. "Come, my dear, and join us. Welcome to my home. I presume you are one of the Circle of Exalts that have come here to banish Cadence from the other tower where he's bound. I am what is left of Dunbar Kirk, the previous master of this manse."

jaydude jaydude Chowlett Chowlett Rykon Rykon Eonivar Eonivar Purr Purr Sherwood Sherwood

Amara watches her feet as she walks around the circles marked on the floor to make sure that she doesn't step into one of them. Making her way to the library, she says, "I was not expecting to see any friendly ghosts here after hearing about the angry one in the other tower. So! What is the plan going forward? How do we banish our unwanted guest?" She finds an empty seat and lowers herself down into it, looking to the others for answers of what the next step is going to be.

Amara watches her feet as she walks around the circles marked on the floor to make sure that she doesn't step into one of them. Making her way to the library, she says, "I was not expecting to see any friendly ghosts here after hearing about the angry one in the other tower. So! What is the plan going forward? How do we banish our unwanted guest?" She finds an empty seat and lowers herself down into it, looking to the others for answers of what the next step is going to be.
"It would appear that more travelling is ahead of us." Grey Stone replied. "Dunbar's spirit has told us that our only means of breaking the binding on Cadence is an artifact located within the city of Rathess."

He scratched his chin, looking serious. "I know next to nothing about this place. And Aredin says that it is nearly 3,000 miles away. It would be a long journey into the unknown, but one we cannot avoid if we want to send our shade on his way."

Resolve 3, Guile 1

Attacks

Actions

Evasion 4, Parry 4

Amara blinks a few times as the information sinks in. "Rathess? Never heard of it. And that is a really long way to travel. How are we supposed to get there? Is the plan to ask Fat Cat if he'd still be our mount? Because even with as fast as he is, it will still take us a while to get there. Is this artifact really worth the effort?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back