• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Into the Ruins - Exalted 3e IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
The ghost of Dunbar slowly nods. "Unless you wish to either wait several years for your spellcasters to develop the power to be able to break Solar level spells or build another artifact capable of doing so, this is your only other option. I know that it is a long distance to travel, but I know spells that can allow you to be able to travel faster than traveling upon a cloud. It is a simple spell to learn, and I can teach it to you relatively quickly; shouldn't take more than a week or two. Stormwind Rider allows for travel up to 100 miles per hour for many hours at a time, but it will require more than one of you to cast it to be able to transport all of you at once."

What do you wish to do?

jaydude jaydude Sherwood Sherwood Purr Purr Eonivar Eonivar Chowlett Chowlett Rykon Rykon

Mercy turns to the others in the Library. "Well Silent Glade and I can learn the spell in a couple of weeks, between the two of us we probably can take everyone, and it would drastically reduce our travel time to this place. The other option is that we ask our Lunar friend to take us the whole way, which would be quite a journey. What are everyone's thoughts on this matter?"

Amara idly toys with her hair as she thinks. "I have no objections to taking this trip. I have nothing tying me here, other than the fellowship of the Circle. Fat Cat may wish to join us, but we won't know until we talk with him."

She ponders her next words for a moment, then says, "Given the distances we are talking about, taking some time for our sorcerers to learn that spell couldn't be a bad thing, and we can take turns using the spell and having our Lunar friend give us a ride. During this time that the two of you need to learn the spell I can spend it honing my own abilities."

What is it like away from here?" Antonia looks at the powerful Lunar warrior with a wistful expression on her face, obviously lost in the vicarious joy of traveling from the point of view of Da Chonk.
Psychie Psychie

Da Chonk carefully sheathes and holsters his weapons and gives Antonia his fullest attention. "Ahh, allow me, my woodland friend, to provide a telling of de wondas I have seen. Creation is a vast and varied realm. I have only seen a little bit, but what I have seen, I will try and share with you now. It is de least I can do for de hospitality you are showing me and my new friends!"

O Mighty Fat Cat takes a good moment to reminisce on the deliveries he has made and the beautiful sights and sounds he has experienced through the senses of many Luna-blessed animals. In his jungle home (called the Celestial Wildlands by his tribe's natives), they tell stories with skill and emotion, each a performance as much as a life lesson. Using his Presence, Fat Cat tries his best with Antonia to answer her curiosity with a "telling" worthy of his homeland.

Last edited:
Psychie Psychie

Da Chonk carefully sheathes and holsters his weapons and gives Antonia his fullest attention. "Ahh, allow me, my woodland friend, to provide a telling of de wondas I have seen. Creation is a vast and varied realm. I have only seen a little bit, but what I have seen, I will try and share with you know. It is de least I can do for de hospitality you are showing me and my new friends!"

O Mighty Fat Cat takes a good moment to reminisce on the deliveries he has made and the beautiful sights and sounds he has experienced through the senses of many Luna-blessed animals. In his jungle home (called the Celestial Wildlands by his tribe's natives), they tell stories with skill and emotion, each a performance as much as a life lesson. Using his Presence, Fat Cat tries his best with Antonia to answer her curiosity with a "telling" worthy of his homeland.
As Fat Cat talks, Antonia listens with rapt fascination as he waxes eloquent about some of the places he's been to. She gives the Lunar a dreamy smile as he talks, occasionally laughing and clapping her hands at a particularly funny description. She finally lets out a pleased sigh, saying, "You create a tapestry with words the same way a painter creates works of art on canvas. If you ever feel that a change of pace is needed in your life, consider being a storyteller. You will entrance your audience with your tales. I feel as if I have finally gone to see some of these amazing places you have talked about. Thank you."
FYI, I rolled three 10's on your roll and an 8, giving Fat Cat a total of seven successes on his oratory! The dice give plenty to you today! This also adds a Minor Tie to Antonia towards Fat Cat of Affection and Admiration.

Inside the library, the Solars of the Circle ponder their next steps. Dunbar does his best to be a gracious host, given his living impaired status. He takes some time to describe to the group the details of the wards he laid upon the area, including how to properly attune yourselves to the manse to avoid triggering any of the magical traps he put upon the place. He also describes what the hearthstone does for its bearer: the ability to detect whenever a person knowingly tells a lie. Against mortals, it grants an automatic successes in this, but against Exalted using Charms to enhance their ability to obfuscate the truth, there is a roll-off needed against their Guile + Permanent Essence vs. the bearer's Perception + Awareness. This does not tell you what the truth is, just when the person is lying deliberately. Please note that this does not detect when a person tells what they honestly believe to be truth but is in reality false. It is only for when someone is deliberately and knowingly telling a falsehood.

Purr Purr jaydude jaydude Sherwood Sherwood Chowlett Chowlett Eonivar Eonivar Rykon Rykon

When Amara hears about the hearthstone's power, she glances over at Aredin, saying, "That sounds like an ability that would come in handy for a merchant, being able to divine a lie out of the web of half-truths that are spoken daily. But we did promise to Antonia that we were not coming here to loot this place, and I would not wish to go against my word regarding that."

"Considering how fast we were able to get here on the back of Fat Cat, it may make more sense to ask for his aid in traveling faster to this Rathess place than it would to take the time to learn new spells. We still have the Wyld Hunt on our heels after us, and sitting still for that length of time would be giving them the opportunity to catch up to us before we are ready to deal with them in a decisive manner. Let us go and discuss what we've learned here with our shapeshifting friend and see what he has to say."

Mercy pages through a book of spells that Dunbar pointed out for her to look through and concluded that Amara was right. It pained her greatly that she was not yet able to cast the spell at a power great enough to transport all of them, and she was not sure if the others would want to take the time to learn or if they had the time to learn.

She sighed heavily, closed the book, and put it away downhearted. She wanted to be of service to her Solar Brothers and Sisters as well as her new Lunar friends, she was not much of a talker or a fighter, she had learned many, many things, but she wanted to be more than just a walking library for them. She looked at her Solar sister and nodded sadly. "You are right they will not leave us alone...they will follow us until the end of our days until we are able to gain the power to defeat them. I do not want them to find this place. I am not powerful enough to transport us all to Rathless using Sorcery..." One could tell she was very disappointed about this. "But we do have our Lunar friend that would be able to transport us if he will do so."

Mercy turns and bows respectfully to Dunbar, her hands together in a way that denoted respect towards an elder and wise man. "Thank you so much for allowing me to look through your library, I hope I may be able to read more and study under you in the future once we are through with our obligations. I am not sure when we will be leaving for Rathless, but if we do so soon, just in case I am not able to see you again, I want to express my gratitude for your allowing us in your house and library. Otherwise, I will be back."

Mercy follows Amara out of the library, she stops and looks back wistfully, and then moves on to the outside with Da Chonk and Antonia.

Last edited:
When Mercy makes her way out of the tower, she finds Antonia and Fat Cat sitting across from each other. While the Lunar talks, the wood spirit listens to him intently, but she manages to tear her attention away from Fat Cat to look over at Mercy as you come outside with a smile. She says, "Have you made the acquaintance of Dunbar's ghost? What did he have to say to you?"

Does everyone make their way out of the tower with Mercy?

Purr Purr Rykon Rykon Sherwood Sherwood Chowlett Chowlett jaydude jaydude Eonivar Eonivar

Aredin gave Mercy a pat on the shoulder with a consoling smile. "Where's the fun to be had if the journey is already over? What heights will you reach if you stand at the peak? Take heart, there's plenty of life left to live." He follows her out of the tower, assuming they'd make plans for the next trip very soon. Hopefully, after they had time to sleep and bathe in peace for once.

He gave Antonia a nod at her question but remains silent for a moment. Mercy was more of an authority on matters of spellcraft, better for her to recount the details.

Grey Stone would accompany Mercy and Aredin out of the tower.

Essence: 1
Personal Essence: 13/13
Peripheral Essence: 28/33
Anima: Glowing

Willpower: 6/7
Join Battle: 5
Health Levels: -0, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1,-1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -3, Incapacitated
Resolve 3, Guile 1

Attacks
Faith's Pillar (10 dice Withering, 8 dice Decisive, Withering Damage 18, Overwhelming 5, Bashing, Melee, Reaching, Smashing, Two-Handed)
Unarmed (13 dice Withering, 8 dice Decisive, Withering Damage 15, Overwhelming 1, Bashing, Brawl, Grappling, Natural)

Actions
Rush: 6
Disengage: 6

Evasion 4, Parry 4
Soak/Hardness: 4/0

Amara heads out of the tower with the others, looking over at Fat Cat and Antonia. "It turns out that there is a curse placed on the ghost of Cadence, one made with powerful Solar magic. There is no way that we can break the spell on our own, but there is an artifact tucked safely away in an ancient city called Rathess that can remove the binding on the ghost and release him as he promised to Aredin. This will require us to travel quite a distance since the old city is located far to the southeast. We now have two options available to us to get there. We can either wait for two weeks for Mercy and Glade to learn a new spell, or we can leave now and ride on your back like we did to get here."

She turns to look directly at Fat Cat, and asks, "Would you be willing to offer up your services as a transport once more? If not, we will be sitting here for some time, letting the Wyld Hunt get a chance to find us once more while we wait."

Purr Purr

Silent Glade has been standing still in Dunbar's study, looking thoughtfully out of the window over the surrounding forests. It's a peaceful place, this manse, and part of him is loathe to leave so soon. He almost doesn't notice as his circlemates leave the room, but turns and is last to leave. On the way out, he turns to Dunbar with an uncharacteristic speech.

"Thank you for your hospitality. Your manse is truly beautiful, and we apologise for any danger we may have led to you. I hope we may return and exorcise your tower, and that we may learn from you. Even me, if you can teach me without your pinned words."

He stands a moment, as if about to say more, before grunting quietly, turning and leaving to rejoin the others in the sun outside.

"Thank you for your hospitality. Your manse is truly beautiful, and we apologise for any danger we may have led to you. I hope we may return and exorcise your tower, and that we may learn from you. Even me, if you can teach me without your pinned words."
Dunbar offers up a soft smile, saying, "Thank you. It would be my pleasure to share with you my knowledge. I have waited a long time for this, to be able to pass on what I have learned to another generation of sorcerers, so if it takes your Circle some time to come back, I can wait a little longer. Travel safe, young one, and come back here before another Age comes to pass."

Outside the tower, the Circle is now reunited, and the discussion on how you wish to proceed is currently underway.

Purr Purr Sherwood Sherwood jaydude jaydude Eonivar Eonivar Chowlett Chowlett Rykon Rykon

When the circle at large is ready to focus on their impending journey, Aredin unfurls a rolled canvas map on a table before the assembled circle. "Right... so as I said this ruin is very far away. Not just from here but from most recognizable civilizations." He places a small measuring stick over both their current position and that of the city. "From where we are here in the wilderness... over to way out here in the Jungle. Under normal conditions, a trip to the blessed isle would be faster and even accounting for our circumstances it still might be safer. Da Chonk, ol' buddy, how do you feel about the airspace that far east? Ever passed through there before?"

Chowlett Chowlett jaydude jaydude Psychie Psychie Rykon Rykon Sherwood Sherwood (in case Alerts decide to bork out). =)

"Rush - Xanadu" Great journeys often are inspired by great melodies (and vice versa). This one holds that kind of power in my heart. =)

She turns to look directly at Fat Cat, and asks, "Would you be willing to offer up your services as a transport once more? If not, we will be sitting here for some time, letting the Wyld Hunt get a chance to find us once more while we wait."

O Mighty Fat Cat reaches up slowly and reaches his large arms up and over his head in a cat-like stretch. His eyes close as his mind performs a stretch of its own reaching back into times of memories past. The distance to Rathess was... no short distance at all. He remembered long miles, some dark and dangerous, others soft and smile-inspiring, and that was only in the direction of Rathess.

In a moment that turns into several, he performs the mental calculations necessary to gauge realistically just how far they were really going and what that journey was most likely to entail. Things like.... the time of year, the realms and the people involved, and the creatures both great and small between here and there; only a fool would put aside the habits and traditions of all of the living things that could serve both as boon or bane along a journey's path. O Mighty Fat Cat thought of the possible detours they might take. Where they might stop for supplies or to hunt and gather their own. When and how they should travel and when they should not. With a single vehicle, the means were limited - with a Luna-blessed Deliverer like O Mighty Fat Cat, the options were much, much greater. Some might even call them a magic all its own.

Da Chonk relaxes with a sigh of contentment. First, he addresses Amara with the ever-present courtesy he is so fond of sharing. "Dere are... benefits to learning de spells, for dey might come useful now and much, much later, no? But dere are also de benefits of leaving here and sparing our gracious hostess any trouble," he smiles broadly and kindly as he indicates Antonia the Wood Elemental. He would do the same for Dunbar Kirk had he known of his presence, but at the moment, he didn't even have any idea of who this Cadence Amara was speaking of. It could be learned later, he decides.

When the circle at large is ready to focus on their impending journey, Aredin unfurls a rolled canvas map on a table before the assembled circle. "Right... so as I said this ruin is very far away. Not just from here but from most recognizable civilizations." He places a small measuring stick over both their current position and that of the city. "From where we are here in the wilderness... over to way out here in the Jungle. Under normal conditions, a trip to the blessed isle would be faster and even accounting for our circumstances it still might be safer. Da Chonk, ol' buddy, how do you feel about the airspace that far east? Ever passed through there before?"

"Rathess..." O Mighty Fat Cat speaks the name with a quiet reverence as he looks unerringly in a southeasterly direction. "Neva have I been dis far. Once and only once, in my Deliverer duties, I found my way far to realms not so far from de jungles about Rathess. But my destiny did not take me within those mysterious secret-haunted wildlands." O Mighty Fat Cat nods to Aredin. "De jungles of Rathess. I wondered den if dey were like de jungles of my home... or if dey were something very, very different. If dis is where we must go to help Dunbar Kirk and our lovely host, Antonia, den I am open to it.

"Howeva..." he adds with a raised finger over Aredin's map as he turns to the entire Circle. His voice is firm, his dark eyes serious. "...de last journey I took all of you on was free. I am a Deliverer. De Lucky Fat Cat Express! I give only one free trip. De rest? I am paid. In advance. Starting now." He lets his words hang in silence. Then he opens his large, muscular hands. "We must come to a business agreement dat aids us both. And so..." his large lips form a peaceful grin, his large, mighty teeth shining moon-white against his beautiful ebony skin, "...I would like from each of you to teach me something new about you. Something you feel comfortable me knowing. No secrets. Just something about you dat you want to share wit me. Undastand?"

Da Chonk folds his fingers and lightly bows to everyone in the Circle. "Dis is me price. You agree? Or do we transfer currencies of another kind to seal de deal?" He briefly eyes their items and coin sacks with only the most passing of interest - instead, his attention remains on the people themselves - the real treasures - Da Chonk's friends.

Amara listens to the other Exalt with interest, wondering what his answer would be to her question about giving them a ride. When Da Chonk mentions a price, her heart sinks a bit. What will he ask for? Will it be in our power to provide? Then, he simply asks for information from them. Oh, is that all? Cheap at that price, considering that I have little to hide from those around me.

She lets out a little chuckle, saying, "I have no objections to your fee, friend Fat Cat, and let me offer up something to you that I hope you will find interesting. I was born to a poor family that sold me into servitude at a young age in order to be able to provide for me a chance at a life other than starvation and death. I was a housemaid working for the owner of a gladiator training camp, and it was there that I learned how to use a blade, albeit with two arms. There is more to the story, but I would save that for later, if you ask again for another fee for being our transporter."

She offers up a grin to the big man, and finally Amara asks, "Does that satisfy you for my fee?"

Silent Glade considers for a moment after the Lunar's curious request; then speaks after Amara.

"Your price is acceptable: here is my payment. I am a twin; my sister is a skilled wilds-woman. In our second decade, she left the village in search of untamed lands. I never saw her again. I do not know if she still lives."

Aredin raised an eyebrow. "Very interesting. I too am a twin. My brother has been aiding my uncle in dismantling demon and fae cults for a few years now. I last heard from them 5 months ago and current matters prevent me from re-establishing contact for what I expect to be a short while in the grand scheme of things." Aredin said with a shrug. "Let me know if that's not enough."

Mercy had fallen back into that silent, private shell that usually was her usual demeanor around others. Seeing her excitement in the journey and then the excitement at this place of learning was a rare joy to see with the young Twilight Caste Solar, and now the reality of having to leave and go into danger set heavily on Mercy's shoulders and bearing. And now Da Chonk wanted to know something about her in return to transport them to Rathless.

She reasoned through this in her mind. Part of her thought.. How Dare he ask for such things? Another part of her said, He just wants a reason to trust us, he does not know us. It's a long journey. This is the best payment one could for.

She adjusted her hajib some, making sure her hair and head were covered, took a deep breath and spoke when the Lunar's eyes fell upon her.

"I was born and sold as a slave when I was four to a family of Sorcerers of House Cynis on the Blessed Isle. I know nothing of my flesh and blood family in this life. My name was Jin. I attended to and assisted the daughter of a powerful Sorcerer, helped her learn the mystic arts while learning them myself. I was...used for many things, most of those things I did not realize were bad until after I exalted and set myself free." Her eyes narrowed, and flames could be seen reflected in them. "Jin is gone..that past self..that part of me..is gone. Burned away in the Merciful Fire of Emancipation."

Last edited:
Earlier, if O Mighty Fat Cat's great strong teeth had showed white in the gloom, then the whiteness of his eyes were now bright like twin full moons as he listens in awe and surprise to the words his friends are sharing with him.

Secrets? He had not asked for secrets, but what he was recieving was from a much deeper well than he was asking to drink from! He absorbs in amazement, not interrupting a single word, and as each of them finishes, the jungle Deliverer nods to each with an expression of respect and gratitude across his broad ebony face.

When crafty Aredin poses his question, O Mighty Fat Cat can only raise one muscular hand with a look of total contentment. He is not about to ask more than he hasn't has already been given. O Mighty Fat Cat was hoping for favorite fruit flavors, songs that they loved to sing or hear, or great moments from a Solars' perspective perhaps.

But this? They had pulled from deep wells indeed and the sole Lunar of the Circle feels honored with their every word. To say that he had not expected anything like this is a grand understatement. Their feelings were serious as was the Deliverer's promise to keep them all hidden inside of his heart.

But one among their number had not yet spoken.

jaydude jaydude Slowly, with trepidation and unblinking eyes, O Mighty Fat Cat turns to the one he believes to be the wisest of their group. What might Grey Stone add to this now storm-serious moment?

O Mighty Fat Cat finds himself inwardly realizing, that if Grey Stone comes off and replies something casual and free like, "Oh, I just prefer whipped cream on my pastries. That's all. Don't you?" Then the Solar will have blown Da Chonk's mind so explosively that the Lunar swears he will land upside-down in Rathess well-ahead of them all! =)

Grey Stone looked over the map as he listened to the Eclipse outline their journey. In truth, a part of him was looking forward to it, if only for the thrill of coming across another new place in Creation for the first time.

When Fat Cat requested that the others tell him about themselves, the monk let the others speak first, before he nodded his head. "You already know a bit about me from when we last talked. I am from the city of Lookshy, and a wandering sohei - a monk who roams the lands as an intermediary between mortals and spirits."

He'd already summed up what that role involved during his previous conversation with the Lunar. "Perhaps if I were to tell you a short story about one of my previous intercessions, following my Exaltation? It was in a village on the northern side of the Yellow River, where I learned that the villagers were being troubled by the god of the nearby forest..."

About half a minute later...

"...and the undead donkeys have stayed out of the forest ever since." he concluded, as matter-of-factly as he would have talked about his favourite type of tea.

Essence: 1
Personal Essence: 13/13
Peripheral Essence: 28/33
Anima: Glowing

Willpower: 6/7
Join Battle: 5
Health Levels: -0, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1,-1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -3, Incapacitated
Resolve 3, Guile 1

Attacks
Faith's Pillar (10 dice Withering, 8 dice Decisive, Withering Damage 18, Overwhelming 5, Bashing, Melee, Reaching, Smashing, Two-Handed)
Unarmed (13 dice Withering, 8 dice Decisive, Withering Damage 15, Overwhelming 1, Bashing, Brawl, Grappling, Natural)

Actions
Rush: 6
Disengage: 6

Evasion 4, Parry 4
Soak/Hardness: 4/0

Antonia says nothing, and instead of speaking, she places her hands over her face and lets out a long sigh. She finally murmurs out, "This is the new generation of Solars? May the gods have mercy!" Dropping her hands, she looks over at Da Chonk and says, "Are you sure you don't wish to stay here with me instead? You could share some more of your amazing stories with me if you did. . ." The wood spirit looks hopeful, but seems to know that there is really no reasonable way to keep you here with the promise of such an adventure on your horizon.

Mercy was enraptured with Grey Stone's short story, and after Antonia's comment she gives the wood spirit a sympathetic look.

"The world outside has changed much over the ages I am afraid, so much has been lost, so many have suffered." She kneels by the wood spirit. "While we possess the spirits and some of our memories of our predecessors, we are definitely not the Solars of the early ages..." Mercy muses a moment lost in thought. "We are something new, a new kind of Solar looking to make the world anew, better than it has been."

She looks back at Antonia. "I would love nothing more than stay here for eternity and learn from Dunbar, but my brother has an obligation now to release the spirit and cleanse this place of the darkness from that spirit, and we have to support him. In end it will make your life and Dunbar's spirit here much more peaceful. Maybe after that, we'll see."

Glade adds his voice, as something that has been troubling him rises to the surface. "We still hold this place's hearthstone, at your implied permission; but I would still not wish to leave with it without your approval. Should we return it to its pedestal?"

Antonia looks pleased at the responses of the group, and she addresses Glade's comment with, "Your concern for the hearthstone gives you credit in my eyes. You have already sworn and sealed your oath to return; I will not object if you wish to use the stone's power to aid you in your quest to recover the artifact that Dunbar has told you about. Take it with my blessing, Noble Exalt, and return. I will be here, waiting for you to come back to break the spell that locks the angry shade here."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back