Into the Mists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaching the bottom of the stairs, Lucan's attention is immediately drawn to the small tiff between the middle aged woman and the young man. Patting Kore on the back he smiled, "Get some food in you and feed Lexi too please." He removed the five crude copper from various pockets and handed it to the orc before looking to Reyeara, "The job's never done." He grinned removing his copper toothpick and placing it in his mouth before approaching the middle aged woman with a smile and a nod. "Good afternoon. You must be one of Sorvia's sisters. I'm Lucan, a member of the City Watch of Baldur's Gate, and this is Reyeara, my partner. What seems to be the issue here?" His voice took on a very formal and friendly, but also authoritative tone as he glanced between the two. He tapped a finger on his chin as he thought, If this is indeed one of Sorvia's sisters, which seems likely then she's an owner of this establishment. Seems this boy is meant to be delivering wine which showed up late. I wonder what delayed him - youthful folly or something worse like those wolves. He seems young to be delivering things from too far away, the winery must not be more than a short jaunt from here or else things in this place are much different from the Gate indeed. Hopefully we can resolve this quickly and garner some favor with the locals for a stronger hand when we seek out the Burgomaster.

Faria observes for a moment checking the man up and down before her eyes come to rest on the basket. 'Someone must be delivering food to the church still. I wonder who it is,' mused Faria before turning her attention to what Donovan had asked. "Actually I was just here to check up on you and the rest of the flock," says Faria as she pointedly turns to look at the empty church. "Many people have lost faith in the Morninglord's grace." It was more of a statement than a question. As she brought her hooded face back to look at Donovan there was a frown on it.

"I guess there is one thing I could use. I've been keeping an eye out for a shield, and I thought about buying something from Bildraft's... but Bildraft is.... Bildraft," says Faria knowing full well that most of the town would know about the man's outrageous prices. Every time she had visited she'd never been able to talk the man down in price, and she had seen some people thrown out by the man's young but large nephew when people got into heated arguments.

Making her way down the stairs with the others, Reyeara swept her gaze around the room, noting at least there were actually people who still lived here.

As Lexi moved to the bartop, she followed Lucan, nodding as she was introduced to the conversating pair. She watched the younger man's face, recognizing an expression of, "New day, same shit," as he listened to the woman complain and smiled slightly. She stood slightly off to the side, hands resting casually on her rapiers as she listened, "We know the Gate isn't exactly ... recognized around here, but we're still willing to help deal with problems if we can."

Kore sighed appraochingnthe bar swing his long legs over a bar stool ordering whatever the locals were eating. He didn’t want to risk what was in the sticky pot. “Hey Lexi breakfast is on Lucan what you want?” Placing down the coin he points to the ‘nice’ man behind the counter as he does so. Pulling his foot up he rest his ankle on his knee and proceeded to lace up his boots

Huh... It's curious that he's ordered a soft meal... do 'water genasi' have softer teeth? I imagine they mostly subsist on seafood, perhaps their teeth are better designed for stripping meat from various aquatic creatures? Lexi just finished jotting down that thought when Kore approached her, and she closed her book and gave him a smile. "Hey Friend, I'm actually doing alright right now, although I guess I could use something to drink. I heard Lucan tell you about your situation... anything you need to know?" Lexi gave Kore a slightly embarrassed grin. "I'm not from around here either, but I sure know a heck of a lot more than you guys. Anything I could help you out with?"

Blood of the Vine Inn:

The woman looks back at Lucan and Rey curiously when they speak up, trying to place the name but not finding any recognition. "You spoke with Sorvia?" she asks, raising an eyebrow. "Must have come up at a strange hour then, because that's typical of her. But yes, she's my sister - you may call me Alenka." She shrugs, then turns back to the young man and shoots a glare at him. "It's always the same with this one. Your name was..."

The man meanwhile is glancing absentmindedly in the direction of the bar, his eyes lighting up ever so slightly at the colorful assortment of people before his attention is called back by Alenka. He turns back to the assembled group with a sigh and a tired stare. "Eugen, ma'am. I've been delivering here for the past two months."

Alenka waves it off, paying no mind to his demeanor. "Right, right. Anyway, he's apparently one of the newer recruits at the winery we usually stock from. Their quality is unparalleled in the valley, but ever since he was delegated to our delivery it has frequently been late, for one excuse or another."

Eugen frowns in response. "Well like I keep telling you ma'am, we can't make exact estimates on how long it takes to deliver this far from the winery - especially given the condition of the roads. We've also been... short-handed." He fidgets with his tunic a bit more, his gaze momentarily shifting out the door instead. "At least I have a partner this time though I think he went off somewhere else, maybe to get supplies for the return trip..."

Alenka huffs, crossing her arms. "Then he's slacking on the job too? Either way, I can't keep cutting it close like this when most the townsfolk drink more wine than water. At least I've got a local source for ale, but practically no one drinks that stuff."

Eugen glances to the side, unperturbed; it seems to take all of his willpower not to roll his eyes. "Then maybe you should stockpile before you run out," he murmurs under his breath, before letting out a small cough. She stares at him even harder at that. "Hmph. I should get reimbursement just for your absolute disrespect," she says vehemently.

Church:

"The rest of the flock, indeed..." Donovan glances around at the chapel, candles dripping slowly around them. "I am sure there are still others true to the faith, but it is likely difficult to congregate amidst tragedy and ruin. Not to mention I have... neglected maintenance of His chapel." He sighs. "I wish I could just say it was because I am past my prime, but alas."

When Faria inquires about a shield he pauses for a second then turns to face her fully, a hint of curiosity on his old and weathered face. "A shield?" He glances her up and down, noting the various weaponry and supplies on her person. "You seem quite armed already... why would you seek more burden? Is it to protect another?"

At that he frowns a bit, clenching his holy symbol a bit more tightly. "I'm sure you've seen the attacks this building has endured over many moons. Once upon a time there were more protectors of the light, armed as such - but those armaments have been lost over the years. Especially after many of the villagers rallied for... the assault." His voice trails off and his gaze drifts off, as if reliving a distant memory. He shakes it off and sighs. "Of course... I would not refuse charity to those who would find it more useful - though I would still inquire your purpose for asking so directly of one who has so little to give."

Faria looks around the church her eyes lingering in spots that hadn't always been the way they had been before. "I know..." she says as if seeing the church through times past. She remembered even the town in brighter days, though at the time it had been just another reason to avoid drawing too much attention in town. Her thoughts wander on what Donovan has said as they wander the church room in the sat state of disrepair it held. 'Would anyone even care if this place burned to the ground? Is it just me and Donovan left here as the last followers of the Morninglord? No, there was the far away abbey I saw when I was very young.'

"I will not lie to you Father Donovan. I am more armed than you know. I am wreathed with a darkness, which is why I come here to remind me of the Morninglord's Mercy and Forgiveness. I will never walk fully in his light, and must be content to follow in his shadow, but that does not mean I cannot help the light and protect it from those who would seek to destroy it," says Faria speaking with a sudden weariness. She looks down at her rapier and feels the weight of the crossbow on her back hidden mostly by her cloak. Her scale armor that had been scavenged long ago from a body she had found in the woods suddenly feels heavy as well.

"I know just like the holiest of days... the day that is called Nevermore Night on the Winter Solstice; that it is often darkest before the dawn. Despite sixteen hours of darkness on that day we never give up hope that the next dawn is coming, and that he will see us through." Faria's eyes go back to Donovan wondering for a moment as to what the old man was thinking. 'Where is this coming from? What has changed...?'

"You are right. I think I seek to protect another, as I cannot protect myself,"
says Faria her thoughts wandering briefly to Lexi. If she could just save someone maybe she might feel the Morninglord's light for however briefly. Perhaps she should accept fate instead of hiding in the darkness. 'But it will never be that easy,' she admitted to herself knowing that despite this affirmation it would be fleeting. Something stirred among her thoughts. Something willfully forgotten, no longer content to remain silent.

"Did you think you had lost me out there in the wilds? You cannot get rid of me little girl. I lend you some of my power, and yet it is to this false god you pray."

At the sound of the insidious voice, a chill runs up Faria's spin and she suddenly feels cold. 'Go away, be silent demon. Sleep. I do not need you.' What had caused it to stir? She hadn't heard the voice in a long time. Had her escape from the second story stirred it to consciousness? She felt mentally it shift causing the other occupant to stir uncomfortably and snap out. It was about as much as Faria could do to keep a straight face with Donovan. She feels more than hears its amusement.

"I am your shadow. Stuck here to keep your little 'pet' on a leash. Do not ever forget that I can just as easily release hold."

'And don't forget that if I die you die, demon.' Faria countered. Despite the quickness of her reply, she held doubts about her statement. The mental contact and odd language shift to a language she did not know but could understand by the twisting of thoughts, words, and concepts. A knowledge not fully her own. The other presence seemed to shift around for a moment but settled down once more as if soothed once more to return to its interrupted slumber.

"So sure are you?"

The presence receded to the depths of.... where ever it went when not speaking to her. She was unsure as to what had caused its sudden interest in expressing itself. Was it the contempt it held for the message of the Morninglord? It had never commented so venomously before. 'Was it getting stronger?' She forced the thoughts from her mind as she focused back on Donovan hoping she hadn't missed anything he had been saying in the meantime. "Sorry Father, I haven't been getting enough sleep as of late I suspect," said Faria trying to pass off any momentary laspe she might have had with reality.

Lucan crosses his arms and sighs clutching the bridge of his nose between this thumb and forefinger, "Now son, I was always taught that excuses are simply testimonies of our failures. You don't seem like a failure to me, but I can see how things could head down that path if you continue to just laze your way through life. When you signed up to haul wine, you made a commitment to deliver it promptly to all your buyers. The roads may be dangerous or uneven and the hours may be daunting, but that's the job. Alenka's got a point kid, if you can't get the product here on time she should be reimbursed for some of her troubles."

He sighs again before removing his hand form his face and eyeing Eugen, sizing him up. "You seem to be a good kid with a shit job and an even worse partner to leave you to deal with an unhappy customer by yourself. So here's some advice, work your damn ass off kid. Work every day so hard that you impress the shit out of your customers. You make Alenka happy and I'm sure she'll send word back to the winery about how great you do, won't you miss?" His eyes move to Alenka and he nods to her to indicate his sincerity in expectation then he looks back to Eugen, making eye contact again, "Then, once word gets back to the bosses about how good you are, you won't be a delivery boy anymore. You'll be one of the bosses, sittin' comfortable in the winery office, sampling the wares, sending young kids to do the work. But you don't get there by workin' like this, you get me?"

Reyeara shrugged her shoulders, "I agree with some of that, Luc, but at some point there's still only so much you can manage yourself." She glanced over towards Eugen, "I know how irritating it can be when you might be putting in all your effort, but the other half just doesn't seem as invested. Makes you look bad, and at the end of the day, brings both of ya down. When there's fewer people on offer makes it even worse."

Smiling towards the younger man she gestured to try and speak to him a little away from the obviously irritated woman. "Is there any of that we can help with? Can't do much about your business being short handed, but with the condition of the roads and having a partner ... is there maybe something or someone that's making the route take longer?"

As Rey pulled Eugen off to the side, Lucan turned to speak with Alenka, "You know, he seems like he's trying his best in a bad situation. I understand that your business and profits rely on these shipments, but you should cut him some slack. If you can find a way to help him, I bet he'd work harder to get you your wine on time. In my, very extensive, experience it's always better to help friends than create enemies. You could maybe encourage the local government to improve the roads or help the boy by investing in a better cart. In return, ask him to make his deliveries in reverse - that was really common in the Gate. If he gets the wine and brings it straight here, then stops at the other destinations on the way back to the winery, it might get you your wine faster and more consistently. There's an unwritten law in the Gate, The Laden Law. It states than a merchant will always travel with more haste when their cart is fully laden than if their cart is empty. Just, something to consider, investments can have great returns." Lucan smiles at the woman.

Church:

Donovan listens carefully to Faria, noting her wandering gaze and solemn demeanor. "Regardless of whether you think you are relegated to the abyss of darkness, the light of the Morninglord will always be within reach - a goal to strive for," he says softly, seeming to recite a sermon from distant years before. "The faith is what compels us to reach to the next dawn, however far it may be both in the sky and in our mind's eye. However bleak it may seem in our moment of darkness..." He trails off, like the words still feel a bit hollow.

When she mentions protecting another and not herself, he raises an eyebrow. "You think you do? Surely you can be more attuned to your feelings, the kindness in your heart," he notes, settling into a tone of reconciliation as he might have in the past. "The Morninglord teaches us that there is a potential for selflessness in us all, a desire to kindle the light so it warms others as it does us."

He searches his mind for another verse to recite, not sure how else to console her before noticing that she appeared to be stuck within her own ruminations. A glint of faint understanding in his eyes, he glances around the room at the melting candles before Faria comes back to reality after a moment. He turns back to her and shakes his head. "It is no worry, my child. It is difficult enough to endure the demons of this world, let alone our inner ones."

He seems to think about that for a second, rubbing his calloused hands and sneaking a glance at the basket of food next to him. Suddenly he pushes himself off the pew and stands up, with some difficulty as expected of his age. "Please, tell me more of this one you wish to protect," he says, turning to face her fully. "It is not often that I entertain company, and it may you good not to remain looking inwards for once." He says the latter with a hint of uncertainty, like he knew he was being hypocritical, but he nods firmly at the statement nonetheless.

Blood of the Vine Inn:

Alenka seems surprised at Lucan's deluge of advice towards her delivery man, then flashes an amused smirks as the elf turns back to her. "Oh believe me - I'll have words either way," she quips, glancing over to Eugen who just seems to be taking it all in, at a loss for words. "I... guess I get you?" he says doubtfully, scratching the back of his head awkwardly. "Though I promise sir, I am giving it an honest effort already. There's not a lot you can do in these parts."

Pulled aside, he glances back at Alenka before looking to Rey curiously. "Oh? You... wanna help?" He considers it for a second, then shakes his head. "Not sure the boss man would like me using other people as a crutch. My 'partner'... well, he ain't really my partner. Stefano's kinda here to help me out... but more importantly, make sure I'm not doing anything too stupid. I'm sort of on a probation period, y'know?" He shrugs noncommittally. "Even with just the two of us or even by myself there usually aren't any problems, just gotta take it slow every now and then. Although..." He scratches his head again. "I've kinda gotten the sense that the wolf activity 'round these parts has picked up recently - we kept running into them on the trail. I could've sworn I heard them right until we were rolling into town."

Watching Rey and Eugen back off to the side Alenka looks at Lucan strangely as he tries to give her logistical advice. "Reverse delivery?" she asks, raising an eyebrow. "He doesn't deliver anywhere else. He's not taking trips to Krezk since that's in the complete opposite direction, and he's definitely not delivering to Vallaki and talking to all those important people. Really the only decent settlement for miles is the Vistani encampment up the river, and they have their own fancy wine stock - the perks of traveling around. As far as I'm aware, this is his only responsibility - and he's fucking it up."

She puts her hands on her hips, considering it. "As for the 'government'... the only real authority here is the Burgomeister - and he's old enough to keel over and die any day now," she says indifferently. On hearing that the scattered townsfolk around the bar seem to lay quieter than they already have been. "He's going to have to find someone else to succeed in his position, because his son sure as hell isn't fit to take that spot."

"Maybe Luis Gavonescu, the woodworker?" pipes up the third lady, having stood up from her table and refilled her cup of tea while this had all been happening. "Think his daughter is handling the business now, and he's fairly well-liked by the townsfolk from what I've heard through the grapevine."

Alenka scoffs, amused. "Maybe if he wasn't as superstitious as the old guy, Mira. He doesn't even want to step near the mansion nowadays - thinks it's haunted or cursed or something."

"Though he might not be entirely wrong," Mira replies casually, taking a sip of her tea.

Lucan frowns as he hears that this may be the only delivery for the young man, though Lucan was thinking perhaps 'boy' was more appropriate if he's only got the one delivery and can't make it on time. "If you'll excuse me a moment, I need a word with my partner. We'll get this sorted out and your wine'll be here on time. I too like prompt deliveries." Lucan gave her a grin, he had helped the gangs in the Gate organize their deliveries so they didn't have to compete for dock space or encounter each other often. It cut down on the blood shed and lined his pocket, and in his eyes there was nothing wrong with either of those things; at least Gadhelyn would be proud. He pointed a finger at Reyeara and whispered, "Hey kid, the lady says he's only got one stop to make on his route. There might be something bigger going on if he can't make ONE delivery on time." The frown of disappointment was evident in his voice as it played in Rey's head, she didn't even need to peek to know the look on his face, it was one she saw a lot in the first weeks of their partnership, but it was rarely directed at her now.

After his message, he listened to the talk of the burgomaster's condition and potential replacement. "My cohorts and I were planning on paying the man a visit today. It is unfortunate that he is unwell, I hope we do not catch him at a bad time." Lucan sighs, concerned that they may be turned away without the answers they seek, but they made a plan and he intended to stick to it. "What about you, Alenka? Or one of your sisters? The small towns and villages I traveled through before arriving at the Gate often were led by their inn keepers. It's convenient to have your finger on the pulse of the town as well as be aware of any -" He cut off for a moment, glancing around at his companions before returning his attention to Alenka, "Visitors." He finished the sentence but was worried he might have given the wrong impression about the group.

"Of course," said Faria placatingly before nodding to Donovan. 'An interesting choice of words all of a sudden.... I've already stayed to long here, I can feel it.' She gave Donovan a very brief smile. "I will strive to be better in the future."

She moved to go to leave as he stood up and asked about the one she might want to protect. Faria stopped and sighed to relieve some of the anxiety that was building up. "She's from a far away land looking for a way back home, or waiting for her master. As far as I can tell a person kept away and safe for a long time. Most would not look past her guise as a Caliban but she did not attack me..." says Faria pausing for a moment to consider if that beam she shot had actually been intended for her and it was all a ruse to get her to lower her guard. She shook the thought from her head, she could read people, and that one really was innocent. Was that why she wanted to save her? "... when we first met, and I got her to town so she wouldn't die out in the forests."

Something struck her then as she was about to leave. A question that came up because of her intended destination. "Father Donovan... why have you not visited the Burgomeister Kolyan? I have heard he is ailing... I am headed in that direction next. Isn't there possibly something you could do to relieve his.... condition?" asked Faria turning her gaze to watch Donovan very carefully. She wondered if there was a rift between the church and the Burgomeisters.

Reyeara shook her head, "No ... we're not a crutch. We're an aid. A crutch means we'd be more permanent, and aid means we're helping make things smoother without us always needing to be here."

She raised an eyebrow as he continued, "What are you on probation for? If you don't mind my asking -- sounded like you'd been at this for awhile. Or is it just a longer time until you're allowed off on your own?" She nodded as he got to the wolves, "Yeah, we encountered some ourselves last night ... managed to talk our way out of it, if you'd believe that..." her voice faded slightly as she heard Lucan's voice in her ear.

She turned slightly like she needed to cough as she replied, "He says he's on probation, partner is watcher, but has to be slow? Also wolf activity." She gave a rough cough before turning back towards Eugene, "Sorry. Spent the night on the floor, think I might've breathed in something. So how'come you have to take it slow? Cart worn down? Or are the roads really that rough?"

Receiving a response from Rey, Lucan shifted gears back to his 'investigation', "Apparently there's been wolf trouble lately. In fact my party and I encountered some on our way into town. Is that a common occurrence? Have you tried to do anything about it? Spoken with the Burgomaster? I'm not sure I can hold the boy accountable for valuing his life and safety over some wine, ma'am. But again, anything you can do to help him out would likely pay itself off in faster deliveries and less hassle." Lucan smiled, hoping he'd offered more insight into the situation than the woman already had. Though, if she knew of the danger and was still upset that the boy arrived alive and with her goods, then there may be bigger issues here and perhaps the more excitable, friendly sister, Mira, could take over the receiving of products.

Geyser took out three of the strange copper pieces he had obtained last night and slapped them on the table. Grabbing a bowl of porridge and a spoon, he tasted it, suppressing a wrinkling of the nose as he realized how dry it was. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a little bit of dirt that had been left over from the previous night. He held it out his palm and concentrated on a few herbs and spices that would make this more tolerable, and a few small leaves sprouted from the dirt. With a smile he plucked them out of the dirt and put the dirt back in his pocket, then tore the herbs into tiny pieces and sprinkled them amongst the porridge. He saw the little tiefling girl staring at him and taking notes, and he gave her a wink.

Now knowing he had an audience, Geyser concentrated on the atmosphere around him, feeling the levels of moisture in the air, focusing on his connection with nature. He then held out his palm once more, and a small ball of mist swirled around his hand for a few seconds before dispersing, indicating that it’ll be a cloudy day. He looked back at Lexi and gave her one last wink before turning to his food. Geyser took his time, eating slowly while making the occasional small talk with the barkeep, but otherwise was just waiting until the group finally decided to go out to explore the town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread