• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Into the fire (1x1 MzHyde/Gallifrog)

DIY wasn't something either Elliott or John did on daily basis, and he doubted that ether of them would be able to fix a kettle without resorting to the internet for help. He had no idea if Jay was able to do such a thing, but they knew for certain that Rinaa could, if the re-assembled blender in the kitchen was anything to go by. He nodded at Fia's comment, noting how her tone had become happier and there was no residual huskiness after her crying. The tears had mostly dried into his shirt and wouldn't be noticeable in a couple of minutes. "Well, put it this way, if the two of them don't do it, I think I will. Sure they'll be delighted to get a broken kettle off their hands." He replied, casting another look out at the horizon. "We should probably head down at some point y'know."

It wasn't surprising to Chas or Elliott that Fia had been closer to John, it was obvious from when she first showed up, and was only confirmed when they got further details about her timeline and what exactly had caused the wedge to form between her and Kay. Both men knew that John was capable of calming Fia and helping her get back to normal, they'd both witnessed it. There was no point in interrupting that process. Elliott had picked up a spare page from the coffee table and had found a pencil down the back of the couch (knowing from experience that there was nearly always a writing implement of some sort down the back of a well-loved family couch). His sketch was a bare bones drawing of two figures dancing. Even with very little detail and finesse it was recognisable as Cal and Cliff. Seeing them ritually fighting, and later dancing at the wedding yesterday had brought out the urge to draw. This sketch was only a practice and he had an idea of doing a proper one as a belated wedding gift for the two. "It's just a waiting game til they come down for the rest of us." Elliott replied.

Fia always felt slightly bad at getting her tears onto his shirt, but she couldn't help it. It was always the same with her, she'd try and hold it all in, pretending she wasn't going to cry and then the moment he held her the flood gates would just open. She was just glad that tears were clear and not of anything else like blood, as at least clear normal tears don't stain clothing. She had cried blood tears before and it wasn't fun in the slightest. She had to smirk at his comment about the fact he'd do it, something that did not surprise her in the slightest. "that is not surprising in the slightest" she told him back before nodding at his suggestion that they should head back down soon. "yeah.. I guess you're right" she agreed. She knew she'd have to see everyone else after the drama, and she was curious if Rinaa got anything as well, even if she was unsure she wanted to see the other teenager just yet. Though the earlier words from John did ring through her mind again about if anybody can bring Rinaa wout of herself again, it could be her. She just hoped he was right.

Kay glanced across from her spot as Elliott started to do a doodle of Cal and Cliff dancing but made no comment on, only thinking instead that for a quick rough sketch it was really good. She also kind of missed seeing Elliott draw. She nodded at his remark about it being a waiting game. "yeah I know..." she replied to Elliott, she just still couldn't help but ponder what was happening between the man she loved and her daughter. "sketch is looking good by the way" she commented, as she looked up at the ceiling trying to ignore the kicking that was happening in her womb.

"Well somebody has to do it, and if that comes under my duties as a parent then so be it." John smirked, knowing that now he'd put the idea out there, it had to be done. He knew it would be taken in good spirits by Elliott and it would be all the better if he could get Cal and Cliff in on it too. It would be a far better gift than a stupid houseplant or a coffee table. He stayed a few more minutes on the roof until he was sure that Fia was okay, then stood. There was no point in delaying the inevitable. They had to go back down and see what (if anything) Rinaa had found.

Elliott looked up when Kay commenting on his drawing, flipping it around so Chas could see as well. "It's really just a rough thing, a sort of practice to gt my ideas ironed out and to get their forms right. They're very distinctive and it needs to be done justice." He cursed himself mentally for leaving his sketchbook in the boat, he'd done a little work in it the night before, the most basic of figure sketches, but there was a lot more left to be done. Normally he didn't draft pieces, just sketched them in pencil and would g over them in fine line marker or pen to finish. "You've got a plan then I take it? Something for your sister?" Chas asked, to which Elliott nodded. "Yeah, a belated wedding gift I guess you could call it." "Go on." Chas encouraged, leaning forwards in his seat. "I'm intending to do a sketch of them dancing last night and also one of them fighting, it's just too aesthetically beautiful an opportunity to resist really and the shapes formed by the meeting ice and fire are amazing. In my head it's mainly black and white with only the fire, ice and their eyes in colour, but until I actually do a test run with colours I won't know how good it'll look."

Fia shook her head but was smiling, knowing that if anyone was going to do that sort of action it would indeed be John. "and it naturally will end up being you" she quipped back at him, as she looked out at the horizon. She was glad that she didn't stay downstairs on the porch and did actually come up onto the roof. It brought more privacy to her and her time with her dad, as well a quicker sense of calm. It was one reason she'd always run away up to the roof of John's apartment if she got too upset. It also meant that it created more effort for someone to follow her and check on her, creating that extra bit of time for her to be alone when she needed it. Seeing him stand up it was clear to her that he could tell she was feeling better and less glum about things so she stood up as well, dusting herself off as she was just wearing shorts and not full length jeans to protect her legs. "I'm ready to go back inside again" she said.

Kay nodded as Elliott spoke understanding where he was coming from, knowing how much extra work drawing figures in motion was. It took a lot more concentration to get it right whilst still being in proportion with everything. She decided to listen as the conversation continued thanks to Chas' question, getting those vibes that Elliott had a plan from his initial statement. "I agree with you there. For an artist it was incredibly aesthetically pleasing to watch so I can see and understand why you'd want to draw it" she agreed with him. "and I know they'd love it no matter what, but I like the idea of the colour pop rather than full colour" she said to him.

Chas also nodded his approval of Elliott's idea, knowing that if he could pull it off it would be both incredible looking and incredibly personal, the ideal gift for Cal and Cliff. "That sounds amazing Ell, I know they'll love it." "Thanks you two" Elliott smiled, he had come to trust Kay's opinions on art after seeing her own work and knew that if he was barking up the wrong tree with his colour pop idea, she would have said as much."I really think it'll give the piece something extra, but I don't want to start it only for it to be shit, so I'll probably do quite a few test sketches, you guys don't mind if I bounce sketch ideas off you?" Chas shook his head. "Not at all Ell and don't worry, I won't let on to Cal and Cliff."

John dusted off his own trousers, brushing off the debris of last years leaves then straightened up. "After you then kiddo." He gestured at the edge of the roof, letting Fia go first, then easily swinging himself down onto the porch his boots hitting the wood with a muffled thud. He entered to the room, noting that Rinaa wasn't back yet and that the focus seemed to be on a sketch Elliott was doing. Looking at it told John all he needed to know. "Your sister and Cliff I take it?" he asked rhetorically, to which Elliott nodded, passing over the sketch to John and Fia, explaining his present idea for the second time. "Sounds incredible Ell, and no, I don't mind you bouncing sketches of me, but given my lack of art knowledge, feel free to dismiss it and do what feels best to you." "Does that apply to all your advice?" Elliott asked cheekily, earning himself a swat around the head.

Rinaa came down a few minutes after Fia and John, deciding that there was little point in going down unless everybody was there. She had the guitar case over her shoulder and an empty syringe in one hand, wanting to get Cliff dispose of it properly and safely. "I've found him, or at least we think it's him. Three hits to be exact." She spoke quietly making her way to one of the medical kits in the room, bringing it over to the armchair and rooting through it until she found a plastic bag marked with a bio hazard symbol, then popped the syringe in.

Kay also smiled when Elliott thanked them both for their opinions, glad that he had learned to accept her thoughts on art, especially since he was slightly indifferent to her piece she did on AJ's wall when they first went to the diner and she did that warrior female perching on a rooftop piece. If she had thought it wouldn't work on this particular piece, she definitely would constructively said so and given him another option if she had one. But it honestly sounded like the right thing to do on such a piece. She also didn't mind him bouncing ideas off of her if he had any, she would be more than happy to help him out in any way she could. "sure you can" she said after Chas.

Fia went on ahead, making her way down from the roof, jumping down and landing on her feet on the porch. She stood a little away making sure that she wouldn't get fallen on by John when he got down before walking inside with him. She saw Elliott was sketching up rough ideas and that Chas and Kay were talking with him about it as she walked to the chair she was at earlier but stopped as she looked at the rough design idea. The present idea sounded like a great one to Fia and she let him know as such before sitting down again. She chuckled at Elliott being cheeky with John before getting the clip round the back of the head.

Kay was about to ask if everything was okay now for Fia when Rinaa came downstairs stating that she found him, or at least thinks she has. "what did you find?" she asked her as Rinaa went to properly dispose of the syringe that she used. "three hits?" Fia asked curiously, she was only expecting one hit but the mention of three hits got her curious indeed. She was weary to open her mouth but she knew what she asked couldn't be taken badly and if it did she would swear to never open her mouth around Rinaa ever again and just play mute the entire time.

Three hits was unexpected, resulting in raised eyebrows from John and Elliott. Rinaa nodded in response, pulling away the plastic covering and sealing the bag with the sticky tab underneath, making sure not to trap loads of air underneath. Sealing the syringe up was an excuse not to make eye contact with anybody, particularly Fia, but it didn't last long enough. She left the medical bag on the table, knowing she'd have need for it later. "Yep, three, which was far more than I was expecting to be honest. I'm 99% sure it's him, I don't have memories of looking at the file in detail, just glancing, but the ID shots match the sketch and what you told me."

"So what doe these tell us?"
John asked. "Unfortunately not very much. The first two hits were from the clinics. He was a drop in patient, not surprising really, as that's what the majority of cases are. The clinics are discreet and have a repuation for good work, trained professional, usually emedical students and most importantly having a 'no names, no questions' policy, they only ask about how the accident happened and where the injuries are, no personal details, aside from medical data of course. last thing you need is to fix up a punctured lung only for the patient to have an allergic reaction to peanuts afterwards. You go to them wanting to remain anonymous. He was entered as a 'J. Bacchus' both times by the medic, obviously a fake name." She smiled slightly in amusement, prompting John to lean forwards and ask. "How can you be sure it's a fake?" his tone serious, they knew nothing about this guy after all, and knowing Rinaa, if she said it was a fake she had her reasons."John Bacchus doesn't exist." Rinaa explained."He's a fictional character, a DI from the Inspector George Gently books, played by Lee Ingleby in the TV adaption. Evidently the medic has a good taste in detective shows." Her approval of the fake name was almost completely concealed, but it was there.

Fia tried to make as little eye contact with Rinaa as possible, but she also knew if she was to properly listen to the information Rinaa had on this Dean guy, then she'd have to look at her. She could also tell that Rinaa didn't want to particularly look at her in the eye either. She glanced at John when he asked what these hits could tell them before making her eyes glance back at Rinaa. She listened to the information being told, nodding as she did so finding it interesting that he used the underground medical centres a couple of times, which just confirmed to her he wasn't entirely human.

She continued to let John ask the questions that they were all probably thinking anyway. She certainly was thinking it was an unsusal choice of name to check in under, yet she remained quiet as she wanted to take in all the facts they could be told before she opened her mouth. She wanted to also make sure she didn't word anything badly again as one breakdown was more than enough for her. When Rinaa explained it was a fictional character from a book and TV adaptation, it made sense why she knew it was a fake name. "did you see what he was checked in for?" Kay asked eventually, as Fia took it all in and wondered if that meant Dean really was his real name. This guy was getting more and more intriguing as it went on. It may have been an irrelevant issue to ask but Kay figured it might give them more of a clue about the kind of bloke he was.

Fia on the other hand just wanted to know what the third hit brought up for her in her timeline. She found herself twiddling her fingers together as she listened, and instantly knowing why Kay was asking about his injuries. Just like in her timeline, Kay would always want to know everything if it involved her, as she was over protective, despite the previous lack of closeness.

Chas nodded at the explanation of the fake name, he didn't watch that particular show on a regular basis or follow it closely, but sometimes there were old episodes being re-run late at night and he'd watch them as a distraction. Out of the main detective duo (and later trio) John Bacchus was the least likeable, with biases, prejudices and a thought process that just wanted cases closed as quickly as possible. He was a flawed man and he knew it and had once planted evidence in order to get a conviction. But with the right mentor some of those worse aspects improved, but didn't go away. he wondered if there was any relationship between the character of this Dean and the fictional TV character. "Is it standard for the fake names i=used in these illegal clinics to be TV characters?"

Rinaa looked slightly surprised at the question, but answered none the less. "Yeah, it is. TV and film are sources of a large volume of unique names, both in terms of the actors and the characters they play that work well as fakes and are easily obvious as fakes when you glance at a large volume of the files. Generally there's a list of characters they work off, but some people chose their own ones. What it was in this case I cannot say." Rinaa had used the clinics herself when Jay wasn't there to patch her up and knew the system, her preferred fake name was 'Artemis Taylor' the alias she was living under currently.

At Kay's question she nodded, running a hand across her hair. "Yeah, but don't get your hopes up too much though. I only ever saw his files in passing., I didn't read them so I only saw the medical shorthand beside the ID photos and not the detailed medical report. Both times there was a suspected concussion and various minor lacerations and abrasions, suspected defensive wounds would be my guest. But those weren't why he came in, nowhere near serious enough. It was a stab wound the first time and broken ribs the second."

Neither Kay or Fia had read the book or watches the show that this fictional character was from, so it meant absolutely nothing to either of them. They let Chas ask his question and listened to the reply, finding it made sense to fictional names or celebrity names to stay under the radar. It did get them wondering if this Dean guy picked the fake name for himself or if it was done for him, even though it was a little thing and not their priority at this moment in time.

Kay looked at Rinaa as she answered her own question and hearing why he came in for her curious about what this guy could be doing or getting into to get such wounds. She hoped it was nothing too negative that warranted concern for Fia even more, and she did have to keep reminding herself that Rinaa's memory records of him would be different to Fia's. For all they knew this wasn't anything like the Dean Fia encountered, in the same way Rinaa's timleine Fia and Kay were nothing like the two in front of her now. Fia also figured that they second injury could easily come from a bike accident and not strictly down to being in a fight. "what about the third hit? What did that bring up?" Kay then asked again.

This was the question that Fia wanted asking, if only the first two were just clinic hits, then what was the third? Yet again, she just didn't want to open her mouth just yet. Maybe when she was able to get Rinaa alone she'd apologise in private to her for wording things so badly, but for now her focus on finding all the puzzle pieces she could in this timeline to figure out this Dean guy.

As Rinaa explained what she knew of his injuries, Kay wasn't the only one questioning what had caused them. John's mind jumped straight to some kind of physical fight, potentially with some kind of supernatural creature. John had been in enough fights with such creatures to know it was a credible explanation, even more credible when the fact that he wasn't fully human was taken into account. Chas remembered the context of Rinaa's timeline, there were bombing raids after all, so he didn't have to be doing anything nefarious to get such injuries, merely be in the wrong place at the wrong time. A falling lump of concrete could break ribs just as easily as a fist.

Rinaa hesitated before answering Kay's question, she'd been delaying on answering this one, knowing it wouldn't go down well. She ran her bottom lip over one of her upper fangs, not biting it enough to draw blood. "I'd ask you to keep in mind just HOW different my timeline is to yours. Things happen in mine, that don't happen in yours. This next bit will be a hard pill to swallow in the context of your reality, but it's all too common in my timeline. Wrong place, wrong time, no shelter nearby." She shrugged sadly."It's not fair, nor is targeted. This is war, there is casualties."

"This guy, whoever he is. The next time he pops up on the data base, it's..."
she took a breath then rushed it all out at once."it's because he's dead. Another body found in the rubble after a bombing raid. No ID to name him, but his face was undamaged enough that it could be circulated on all the official channels in case there was somebody to claim him. He died in the blast, cut up by the shrapnel. There was no foul play before you ask. I'm sorry." The ending words were fruitless in her mind. She couldn't change the fact that she was the bearer of bad news and so far nobody had any real connection to this guy apart from one chance meeting.

Fia eventually looked up properly when Rinaa started to hesitantly answer the question that had been on her mind this whole time, she didn't like how it made Rinaa react which meant it could only be bad news. She sat up as Rinaa took a deep breath before saying it all in a rushed manner. She didn't know what she was expecting but hearing he was dead in Rinaa's timeline was still a shock. She slowly nodded at the apology, not knowing what to say at all. She guessed the results wouldn't give them too much information and it would be different due to the timeline differences, but it was still a blow to her and she couldn't fully figure out why it was affecting her so much. Was it because she was hoping for more answers? Or was it because of anything else? She just didn't know. Yet she was so glad that her timeline wasn't a warzone like Rinaa's was. He was still very alive as far as she knew and she had to focus on that as it meant there was a chance she could find out who he was. Or what he was.

"thanks Rinaa..." Fia eventually said, taking in all the facts properly. Kay saw how the news was affe ting Fia, she could tell she was feeling conflicted due to getting decent answers and no answers all at the same time. Hearing what Rinaa said meant her other self probably never saw him, she didn't have an opportunity to meet someone in her own way and time. "so we're no more further ahead to finding out what he is" kay remarked. "sorry kiddo" she then aimed the next bit at Fia. "not anything anyone can do about it. I guess I'll just have to go old school to find out what he is when I go back to my timeline" Fia replied, her tone having an edge of defeatedness to it.

John, Chas and Elliott could see that it was bad news as soon as Rinaa hesitated. This was a different hesitance to when she'd speak of her own life in her timeline, that was a hesitance born of emotional pain. This hesitance came from somewhere else entirely. John was tempted to yell something along the lines of 'just spit it out already before we get any older' at Rinaa so they could actually get an answer. When she reminded them that her timeline was a war zone it was said with sadness, bitterness and an acceptance that came from somebody who had accepted that thins wouldn't get better.

Given her build up it wasn't a complete surprise that her next statement was that the guy was dead, but it still caught them off guard. None of them had witnessed a war zone or the cruel deaths it left in it's wake, but for Rinaa it was her life. She'd pulled bodies from the wreckage and seen lives ripped apart. It struck her on a more deeply personal level that all these people were just gone in an instant and she, the terminally ill girl stayed living. Maybe some tiny fraction of them deserved to die, but what about the rest of them? Whether this Dean fellow mean malicious intent or not, did he really deserve to die so young? Did anybody? These were the kind of questions nobody could ever answer or justify.

"Thanks for trying" Chas told Rinaa who just shrugged, knowing that all she'd done was create more questions than answers. "Yeah, it was the least I could do, even if it achieved nothing." John nodded at Fia's statement about going 'old school'. "If anything we've just got more questions, and more interested. There's no way this is going to be just dropped." Elliott told Fia, knowing that if he couldn't do something in this timepoint, he could wait until his future self was at the right timepoint to be of assiatnce. John felt the same way. "Agreed, and it looks like old school is the best way."

"I would say ask the Leah in your timeline, see what she could dig up, but she probably isn't even involved in the same shit as me anyway."
Rinaa sighed, rooting through the medical kit again and pulling out a set of alcohol wipes and setting them to one side before heading over to the kitchen and rummaging through the cupboards.

Before Rinaa said what it was she found out, Kay could tell that John particularly was getting frustrated by the long winded way of getting to the information. She also wondered if that frustration was out of wanting to know for his daughter's sake as as his own curiosity as this random mystery bloke was seeming to be completely surrounded around Fia. She too was slightly impatient for Rinaa to just spit it out so when it did come out she was relieved, shocked, and equally not surprised after the reminder of how Rinaa's timeline was.

Fia looked up at Elliott when he said there was no way they were going to drop this and they'll find the answers they all need, what she needs before turning to John who agreed with Elliott. She nodded at them both appreciating that she wasn't going to be alone through this and she would have help. She then looked at Rinaa who suggested seeking help from her Leah even if it would prove pointless deciding that even it was a fruitless endeavour she'd try it anyway. If nothing else it'd be an extra set of intelligence to help with her answers. "thanks.. I'm gonna need all the help I can get" she replied to them all realising that she never should have kept this guy a secret from her family when it all happened. "kiddo we're family, of course we're going to help you out. Even if that means you have to rely on our future selves but none of us are going to let you do this alone" Kay told Fia. "and if our future selves are anything to go by from what you have told us, you can bet your boots that John, Chas and Ell aren't gonna let you risk getting into any real harm with this guy" she added.

The others nodded in agreement with Kay's words, even Rinaa (who knew that there was nothing she could actually do to be useful, just hope that another version of Leah might know something). They had no intention of letting this slide by, if he was a threat, then that lead to the question of how he even knew of Fia in the first place and what exactly his intentions were. If he wasn't actually a threat, then finding him would prove just that and put their minds at ease. Maybe in time he could become a friend (or at the very least an ally of sorts).

"Of course we're gonna help, that's what you're hear for, you really just have to ask and we'll do whatever we can." "Which is a lot, given just what we can do between us, we'll be there for you when you want us." Elliott told her, now have one more reason to make sure he didn't die. His half sister needed help, and he did want to be there for her. "I think Kay basically said what we're all thinking, you aren't in this alone and if we're willin' to help now, then I don't see why we wouldn't be willing to help in the future." John told her, knowing that anything he said would just be re-iterating the others words.

Behind the cupboard door Rinaa just nodded and listened. She could see that this version of her extended family would make a great support group for Fia in the future, that they meant every word and would be willing to do anything in their power to help. It gave her hope that things didn't have to be so awful. Talking to the others seemed to be working when it came to solving Fia's problems, maybe it things were different in her timeline she could have done the same.

Fia looked over at each and every one of them as they all spoke to her, giving her reassurance that yes, they weren't going to let her deal with this alone. It was a huge relief to her and really helped in making a dent in that feeling of loniless that always came over her at times. If she was anywhere else she probably would have gotten up and hugged each of them but she stayed in her place on the chair. Like Elliott she really hoped that they could stop him from dying even more as she didn't want to lose her half brother. She didn't before this but she didn't even more now she had this to deal with, and on top of the vague unpleasant warning Kay had in her dream as well.

"thanks, seriously. I'm just really hoping he's an ally and not enemy right now. And if he was an ally in Rinaa's timeline I can't help but wonder what that version of me must be going through if she knows" she replied, hugging herself in the chair without even realising it. "you're best not to think that last bit Fia, trust me it won't do you any good" Kay told her. She knew if Fia kept thinking about that it would eat her up inside and really drag her down, already seeing how much she was like John in the sense of dwelling on the negatives in her life and not the positives. "we'll figure this out, that's all you need to focus on right now" she added.

"I think we're all asking the 'friend or foe' question about this guy. But the important point is that we will get answers, no matter how long it takes." Elliott remarked. Clearly the identity of this guy and the potential relationship to any other Fia was eating away at her, but he wasn't exactly sure why it was affecting Fia so much and he was uneasy with the fact that it was, he knew what it was like to be consumed from the inside out by rogue thoughts. He knew she wasn't lying about not knowing this guy before that night, he would have picked up the signs in the memory of the dream. "Well, I could theorise on what's going on in my timeline, how accurate or useful it'll be is another thing." Rinaa replied with a soft shrug.

"Well out of all of us you know it the best, and like you say what happens in your timeline has no standing or effect on what happens in any other timeline, Fia's included. And theories are all we have at this stage." "I don't think ally would be the correct word for my timeline." Rinaa told her, setting down a mortar and pestle on the table along with a bottle of water, an empty glass vial and different needle to before."He's not flagging up under any of the Downworlder/Darkworlder crews or Munroe's squad who specialise in the more paranormal stuff, so if he does work with the network it's not on a permanent basis. My understanding of it is that if he did work with any of the crews on a semi-regular basis they would have flagged his body when it was put up in both public and underground lists of the dead. Nobody claimed it, or at least they hadn't when I was in that timeline. So best guess, he's not actually involved, just a clinic drop-in which isn't unusual. And back in my timeline the other Fia didn't look or act like she was grieving anybody, ergo she doesn't know him." Rinaa refrained from saying what she was actually thinking, that it could just be because that Fia didn't want to give the impression she actually cared about her dying cousin.

"Also, John, can I borrow your lighter?" Rinaa asked, knowing that John would be the only one carrying such a thing on him and she couldn't find the any matches in Cliff's family kitchen. "Don't worry it's not for some weird self harm thing, before you ask."

Fia didn't even understand why she was feeling the way she was about this mysterious guy, she wasn't like this before the MindWalk so why was she like it now? It made no sense to her and like with Elliott it was disconcerting to her. She nodded at the words spoken by Kay and Elliott, making her feel like she had her timeline's mother and brother with her suddenly. "I know" she replied to them both with a sigh. She looked at Rinaa when she said she could have a theory, wanting to hear it even if it was a pointless one. When she said she didn't think ally would be the right word for this Dean, she rose an eyebrow wondering what she could mean by that, which she wad glad that Rinaa instantly went in to explain her reasonings for her comment. She nodded at her words and decided that if that was the case then it was of some kind of relief to her. "that's... Something.. I guess" she replied.

Kay listened and came to the theory that if this guy wasn't part of a fraction of any kind, then he had to be either working alone or he could possibly be a freelance and just worked for anyone, yet she also wondered if any of that was even a possibility in Fia's timeline. Yet the biggest question on her mind was how he came to know baout Fia. Her only theory was word got round somehow that a daughter of a phoenix was alive and kicking and he inserted himself by trying to find her for whatever reason.

Thought of Rinaa wanting a lighter for that exact purpose had indeed crossed John's mind, suicide and self harm weren't things he associated lightly with somebody, having personal experience of both, but if anybody in their group was going to self harm, his money would firmly be on Rinaa. Her narrowed his eyes slightly at the complete change of topic. Her theory was a credible one, given the available information in her timeline, though a lone wolf or solo operator wouldn't be out of the question either. "I thought you had a chronic fear of fire?" He asked, an edge of suspicion in his tone as he reached a hand into his coat pocket where he knew the lighter would be.

"I do and it's not going away any time soom." Rinaa replied. "But I need to burn something in order to make ink, and it's either I borrow a lighter off you, or I dig out an oxyacetylene torch from one of the outbuildings. Which is probably even more of a fire hazard." Getting Fia or Kay to light it on fire simply wasn't an option, she could just about dampen down her fear to work a lighter or welding gear for a short time, but phoenix fire being used in her vicinity would only result in severe flash backs. John took out the lighter but didn't pass it over to the teenager yet and wouldn't until he'd got a satisfying explanation. "Why do you need to make ink?" Chas asked, also intrigued by this rapid U-turn of events.

"I need it in order to form a tattoo bond, an Isogrii forfeit bond to be precise. Part of the process of inking one involves burning the agreement and mixing the ashes to make ink. Hence the need for a lighter."

Neither Kay or Fia even questioned why Rinaa wouldn't ask them to use their fire, Kay because she knew of her chronic fear of fire and Fia because she knew it was either her or Kay's other self that burned her badly in Rinaa's timeline. Fia did know however that Rinaa could fight that fear long enough to use a small fire due to watching her use the wielder. Both women were surprised though by the rapid subject change, even if Fia was actually in some manner thankful for the change of subject. They listened to Chas ask why she needed to make ink and then continued to listen to the answer. "a forfeit bond?" Kay asked, curiosity in her tone having never heard of it before. It seemed between everyone in their group there were so many different bonds out there, she thought it would get difficult to keep up soon.

Fia was curious to who she was making the bond with, but didn't say anything. She pulled out her phone and started going through all the photos she had taken since being on this planet just to take her mind off everything that was plaguing her mind. For once she didn't want to even turn to her violin for the outlet. She knew if she didn't take her mind off things she would go back to The House and try to find anything that could help her out in her room or in the library, which she figured would be utterly pointless in this time.

John raised an eyebrow when Rinaa gave an explanation of what she was doing. He knew the concept of a forfeit bond band in magical terms, but the fact that she specified Jay's tribe meant there was more to it. From the little Jay had said about the traditions and culture of her people, some of the rituals sounded very similar to magic, but weren't actually magic as they didn't involve the binding of souls or various energies. Bonds and debts were a major element culturally, which was why jay still placed emphasis on the fact that Chas had saved her life.

Rinaa nodded "The actual Isogrii word means something closer to 'terms and conditions with a price that must be paid if broken', one of those untranslatable words. I don't know how similar it is to the version based in magic, I'm guessing they have similar roots and origins, just different execution. But the basic outline is, an agreement has been made, a list of terms and conditions drawn up and if either party breaks it that person pays the price. The bond is can't be broken unless both parties agree and the forfeit can't be avoided either. In other words if you make one you are deadly serious about doing it. Usually the forfeit would be a some significant material objects, or in more extreme cases, a life, but my life isn't exactly worth anything these days."

John nodded in understanding, the basic principle was indeed the same as the magical version, and no doubt there were people who would work loopholes into the terms and conditions to fit their own needs. "That's almost identical to the magic version, but that still doesn't answer the question of why now." "Because somebody had to do something and sort out this mess that is my double personas and this is the only thing I could think of that would work."

Until the bond between herself and John, Kay didn't really know anything about bonds outside of fiction books. Even then she only knew vague bits and pieces from reading the phoenix book and what John had told her. This felt like new territory to her, until Rinaa gave the reply and explaining it all. It did seem similar to magical ones to her, but she knew compared to John, she knew next to nothing. Though what Rinaa explained, she did understand and nodded in response to it. She continued to listen as John asked the why now part of his question, and Rinaa answered. It seemed quite interesting timing that this would come about between herself and her wolf side after everything that kicked off earlier.

Neither Fia or Kay wanted to say anything about the timing but it went through both their minds. "well I hope it works for you" Kay commented honestly. She really did hope it would work for her, but it so saddened her that Rinaa made such a comment about her life not worth anything these days. "same, and if any of this is because of our complicated relationship I'm sorry you have to do this because of it" Fia finally said feeling like it was partially her fault as well. Her unspoken bit was along the lines of 'and your life is worth something nowadays' she just didn't have guts to say it out loud herself, despite her assuming everyone thought the same thing.

The remark by Rinaa about what her life was worth had two meanings. The first was in a business manner. As a forfeit it wasn't a particularly good one, she was going to die within a few months anyway, so dying by forfeit would practically be a a mercy. Any monetary value put to it would be minute, she had no future, just a set of dreams and hopes that would never realised. The whole point of putting a life up as forfeit was that it was something worth losing, where as in Rinaa's case, her life was almost completely gone. The second was the personal value she ascribed to it. In Rinaa's mind there was little in her life worth celebrating or even remembering. As far as she was concerned her life was just a progression of disappointments followed by a letdowns followed by a disasters. The happy moments were few and far between, and were nearly always the by-products of doing something illegally or behind her family's back and were always overshadowed by the bad times.

The fact that Rinaa used the word 'personas' as opposed to 'personalities' was the missing piece as far as Elliott was concerned. The wolf side wasn't Rinaa, it was somebody else entirely and this whole time the two had been in a strange symbiotic/parasitic relationship, each needing the other to stay alive, but in the end one would kill the other, then they themselves would die. "That's pretty drastic kiddo, hope it works out." John didn't exactly approve of the idea, but knew that Rinaa wouldn't be dissuaded from it, she had that same glint in her eyes that Elliott had when he was being a stubborn ass. Elliott on the other hand knew for certain that Jay wouldn't be happy when she found out. Both he, Chas and John suspected that it was because of Fia that Rinaa had chosen to do this. "I would say good luck, but that isn't exactly the appropriate phrase and I have no doubt you're more than capable of forming this forfeit bond, just don't do anything too stupid with it yeah? And stop talking yourself down all the time, self depreciating humour is John's thing. Your life is worth just as much as any of ours."

Rinaa resisted the urge to run her hand through her hair, knowing that it would only show how on edge she was about the whole thing. Elliott's comment did bring a ghost of a smile to her face, along with a faint hint of hope to her life in general. At Fia's comment she just smiled sadly, wondering how the other girl could be blaming herself for something that Rinaa herself had started and continued. Rinaa had always been the instigator, taking things to a whole new level. "No need to apologise, this is all on me and her" she tapped the side of her head."And besides, I should have done this a long time ago, would have saved us all a lot of shit. Now if you'll excuse me." She reached over and plucked the lighter from John's hand before gathering the rest of her supplies and heading out of the house.

Kay could tell that John didn't exactly agree with the decision that Rinaa was making, but she also knew stubbornness when she saw it in people when they decided on an idea, Rinaa was no different in this situation. She was also glad that someone told Rinaa her life was worth something, more so that it was Elliott that said it. She didn't even think about Jay would react to this whole shit show, but if she had she'd assume Jay wouldn't be happy about it, but would stand by her daughter's decision and respect it nonetheless. She saw how Rinaa reacted to Elliott telling her her life mattered just as much as everyone else's and could see that Rinaa really appreciated hearing it.

Fia just heard Rinaa out and nodded, she still felt like it wasn't for her other self none of this would be happening between them anyway, along with how easily her wolf side got under her skin. She could have just walked away or ignored the comments that came out Rinaa's mouth when things got touchy but she never did, she fell for the bait every single time and that's why she felt partly responsible for Rinaa's decision. She would have replied to her but was was too focused on doing this bond and getting it completed. When Rinaa left the room, Fia went back to looking through her photos on her phone.

John let Rinaa take the lighter, knowing that if he didn't she'd just find another way to source fire. He wouldn't put it past her to go to Cal to get the page burned, so far in the time he'd spent with Cal using her powers in the same room, Rinaa hadn't completely flipped out like she did on the ship. She had tensed up, and been shaky afterwards with the remnants of fear hormones still coursing through her body, but it seemed to be a mind over matter thing when it came to non-phoenix fire. After she left Elliott gave him and Chas a look that said "well that was weird to say the least" and John could sense the worry in his look. John nodded in reply, his answering look saying something along the lines of "even by our standards, and that's saying something."

It was Chas who broke the silence first. "I know you're thinking about it Ell, but I'll be the one to say it, you should go after her. Not to stop her, her mind is clearly made up and she's related to two incredibly stubborn people and has no doubt inherited that trait. But I think this is something that she shouldn't do alone." "Yeah, you're right." Elliott told him, he'd been considering going after Rinaa for that exact reason, but needed somebody to give him that push to do it. He turned to go out the door, then stopped, seeing that Fia has been unusually silent. "Fia, this isn't your fault, she's choosing to do this of her own free will, so don't beat yourself up over it."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back