Other interested in Native American lore?

Vata-Raven

Does anyone else on here by chance love doing research on Native American lore and mythology?

Looking for a research buddy to help bounce ideas off of. :closed eyes open smile:

I focus on the Eastern Shoshone tribe for real world research (since that's the tribe I wish to focus on), but I've encompassed the Native American lore as a whole to broaden myself on ideas for my world.

I'd definitely love to learn more about it! I am specifically interested in the Tupi culture. The Tupi were a Native American civilization that inhabited the territory that is nowadays Brazil.
Lots of their vocabulary are now part of the Portuguese language, more specifically the Brazilian Portuguese variety.
It's you again!
You replied to my sci-fi and science tread not too long ago.
I read a few of your own threads, too; seems like we have a lot of x-cross interest in our topics.

From what I understand, a lot of the Native American tribe formed from the South America/Mexico area, and from a couple of friend who are Mexican say a lot of their origin (Mexican culture) comes from China.

Oh really?? :0 That's so amazing!! Especially because it is low key hard for me to find people with similar interests in my daily life hahah ❤
Do you by chance have an interest in spy-revolved worlds?

That's an interesting perspective. I have been to Mexico before and fortunately I was able to experience a bit of their culture, and it is simply fascinating! From the music to their gastronomy and even all the mythological and scientific heritage that ancient civilizations have passed on generation through generation, it is simply so intricate and diverse :)
The Tupi tribe might be different, but from my research on the Shoshone tribe and generalized Native American culture research, Native American culture is related the Aztecs, which I do believe Mexicans are also related to.

I clicked here because I'm actually Native American. 😂 Although most of my band's history was lost.

What do you mean by Mexican culture/origin comes from China? I'm aware of the immigration and chinese involvement in Mexicali but nothing pre-dating the 1800s. Unless you mean the ancient people crossing from Asia.

As for the Aztec Mexico relation, yes many people from Central America can trace their roots back to the Aztecs just as they can the Mayans or any other Mesoamerican tribe that wasn't totally wiped out. It's just that the Aztec Empire is the one better preserved so the focus naturally is on them.

Forgot to add that millions still speak some form of Mayan and Nahuatl in Mexico.

Last edited:
Do you by chance have an interest in spy-revolved worlds?

The Tupi tribe might be different, but from my research on the Shoshone tribe and generalized Native American culture research, Native American culture is related the Aztecs, which I do believe Mexicans are also related to.
That's probably because the Shoshone is Uto-Aztecan, they are a massive Cultural and Linguistic grouping of Native Americans. The Shoshone is the Northernmost Tribe in that category and the Aztec are one of the most Southern tribes in that group. And since the Uto-Aztecan Language Family is so large and the tribes that form it ended up being less devastated by the Europeans they have a larger cultural footprint than most.

Which tribe was that?
I'm from the Pottawatomie tribe, but we're split into thirteen(?) bands, and my personal band doesn't have the most history anymore. The whole tribe has a lot, though. Just not my band.

Unless you mean the ancient people crossing from Asia.
The conversation was some time ago, but I assume they meant their ancestors immigration from China. I have not researched too heavily into Mexico's history.

I forgot to add that millions still speak some form of Mayan and Nahuatl in Mexico.
Oh, that's interesting; though, I shouldn't be surprised. The reason why I decided to research the Aztec empire alongside with the Native American stuff was because the tribe I decided to focus on, their language branched off from the Uto-Aztecan language.

Last edited:
The Shoshone is the Northernmost Tribe in that category and the Aztec are one of the most Southern tribes in that group.
You mention the regions, do you think there is a particular area of the Aztec empire I should research?

For my project, I planned on combining the today's-modern tribe member life with the fantasy elements from Aztec lore.

You mention the regions, do you think there is a particular area of the Aztec empire I should research?

For my project, I planned on combining the today's-modern tribe member life with the fantasy elements from Aztec lore.
Not particularly and the Aztec Empire was entirely in Mexico, they never had any real contact with the Northern half of the Uto Aztecan language family.

I'm from the Pottawatomie tribe, but we're split into thirteen(?) bands, and my personal band doesn't have the most history anymore. The whole tribe has a lot, though. Just not my band.
What do you mean by band? Is it like how royal families spilt due to marriage and differences?

What do you mean by band? Is it like how royal families spilt due to marriage and differences?
It's more like a familial group or Clan, like when you think of a Native American Tribe with all of the people living together in one group that's not actually the whole tribe, that would be called a Band. At least I'm pretty sure that's it. It's definitely a subdivision within a Native American Tribe.

Let me quickly post the Wikipedia article describing the Uto Aztecan language family. Uto-Aztecan languages - Wikipedia
Oh, the wonderful world of wiki. That's the page I came across when researching the general language. Though, now that I look at it, the subdivision section isn't too well oganized; some listings are for a language branch, while others is a group of people that accompany the given language.

Thanks for pointing out the Nahuan connection, I overlooked that from before.

It's more like a familial group or Clan, like when you think of a Native American Tribe with all of the people living together in one group that's not actually the whole tribe, that would be called a Band. At least I'm pretty sure that's it. It's definitely a subdivision within a Native American Tribe.
Oh! That makes sense. Thanks for explaining it to me.

Oh, the wonderful world of wiki. That's the page I came across when researching the general language. Though, now that I look at it, the subdivision section isn't too well oganized; some listings are for a language branch, while others is a group of people that accompany the given language.

Thanks for pointing out the Nahuan connection, I overlooked that from before.

Oh! That makes sense. Thanks for explaining it to me.
Yeah the wiki isn't really the best but it gives a decent overview. Uto Aztecan is much more of a Language Family than a group of people. It's best to think of it as a language family first and foremost, like Romance Languages, there isn't that big of a similarity between Romanians and the French but they both speak a Latin based Language. Not to mention the fact that Uto Aztecan is a very big language family, and a better comparison would be Indo-European, a language family that includes everything from Hindi to Welsh.

Not to mention the fact that Uto Aztecan is a very big language family, and a better comparison would be Indo-European, a language family that includes everything from Hindi to Welsh.
Oh, that's a good way of looking at it.

You're very informative, MrThe. Thank you for help and insight.

Do you have a suggestions on books (history and/research related) or do you think internet sites would be good enough?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back