Advice/Help Interest thread criticism and advice

Code:
[TABS]

[TAB=Insert Tab Title Here]Content goes here
[/TAB][TAB=Insert New Tab Title Here]Content goes here

[/TAB][/TABS]

note: [/TAB] is used to end the current tab. to start a new tab, [/TAB] must be used.

• Content goes here

eta: this can be used further with the tabs to keep everything within a set width so you don't have massive paragraphs

Code:
[centerblock=75][scroll=80%][TABS]

[/TAB][/TABS][/scroll][/centerblock]

Last edited:
Code:
[TABS]

[/TAB][/TABS]

note: [/TAB] is used to end the current tab. to start a new tab, [/TAB] must be used.

• Content goes here

eta: this can be used further with the tabs to keep everything within a set width so you don't have massive paragraphs

Code:
[centerblock=75][scroll=80%][TABS]

[/TAB][/TABS][/scroll][/centerblock]
Youre a real G, thank you

Probably just a me problem, others might be fine with it, but the inconsistencies in the text are throwing me off. Maybe go for a consistent text size and just bold the parts that are currently larger than the rest? I think that's just me being nitpicky though.

The tabs look great, and I see no issue with the content bar some minor spelling errors (though would I be right to assume your first language isn't English?). I think you've included everything that is required for an interest check, you've set out your criteria well and I wish you the best of luck in finding a partner!

In my own opinion, you tout yourself as being "Advanced literate"... buuuut the examples you give of your writing aren't really what most people would consider to be advanced literate. Now, I'm right there in the stance of literacy not equating to post length. But the common understanding in the RP world is that advanced literacy has a lot to do with post quality AND quantity. The examples give the impression of being lengthy only because they are spaced out in between every other sentence. But in reality, you're only hitting around three to five hundred (-ish) words with the longer posts. Which is semi-casual/semi-lit at best (imo). I really don't understand the grading system of these things to a definitive end. But 500 words doesn't fall under advanced lit for me.

Length aside, there isn't anything in the post itself that screams "advanced lit". It's not badly written or anything. It's just not particularly inspired to a higher bracket of literacy, is all. None of the dialogue or discriptors are wow-ing me to think, "Holy shit, this dude's writing is UP there!"
But again, this is just my own opinion. There isn't an industry standard for this or anything. lol

To be fair, I think the use of literate and advanced literate to describe writing style is kind of stupid because everyone has their variance of what that even means. And it's a vague notion at best.

In my own opinion, you tout yourself as being "Advanced literate"... buuuut the examples you give of your writing aren't really what most people would consider to be advanced literate. Now, I'm right there in the stance of literacy not equating to post length. But the common understanding in the RP world is that advanced literacy has a lot to do with post quality AND quantity. The examples give the impression of being lengthy only because they are spaced out in between every other sentence. But in reality, you're only hitting around three to five hundred (-ish) words with the longer posts. Which is semi-casual/semi-lit at best (imo). I really don't understand the grading system of these things to a definitive end. But 500 words doesn't fall under advanced lit for me.

Length aside, there isn't anything in the post itself that screams "advanced lit". It's not badly written or anything. It's just not particularly inspired to a higher bracket of literacy, is all. None of the dialogue or discriptors are wow-ing me to think, "Holy shit, this dude's writing is UP there!"
But again, this is just my own opinion. There isn't an industry standard for this or anything. lol

To be fair, I think the use of literate and advanced literate to describe writing style is kind of stupid because everyone has their variance of what that even means. And it's a vague notion at best.
I used the RP in this site as an example but it is not indicative of my actual skill. I used to write alot longer post in my hayday thus I know that I can do better when inspired.

When I find a better RP to show off I'll link to it, this is a placeholder. Thank you for your input though, I'll keep it in mind.

Vibe_Lad Vibe_Lad

You should ditch the "advanced literate" tag. It comes from a website where "literate" was strictly about length. 1000 words of drivel was "advanced literate" while 400 words of elegent, efficient prose was "casual."

Length =/= quality. There are times when 400 words is much better than 800 words. It really comes down to content. There are also different schools of writing and none are inherently better than others. Tolkien spent 1000 words describing scenes; Hemingway spent 100 when he was generous. The former is detailed realism, the second impressionist. There's no right or wrong answer, only preferences.

(Forgive me if I'm using incorrect writing terms. I'm not classically trained, so I'm using art terms instead.)

I'd suggest other words for the writing you do, as "literate" will confuse people. They'll think you mean length instead of quality.

Also don't stress over vocabulary choice and writing an "advanced" style. Writing is about imagery. George Orwell famously advised against technical, overly advanced jargon, as it detracts from your imagery. There's an underlying current of competitiveness on this website, and some use a thesaurus to "beat" other writers. Instead worry about your formatting, as it does detract from your writing. Keep them paragraphs clean my dude 👌

As far as the actual writing is concerned, it seems fine to me. It's on par with much of what you'll find on this website, so don't feel outmatched or intimidated. Personally I like what I saw.

Sorry for going off topic, but I just want to offer some words of encouragement about your writing! Hope you put together a great RP!

PS

You should add some images as well. Pictures really help interest checks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back