• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

(Interest Check) POKEMON -in a Pathfinder setting with Dungeons the Dragoning 40k 7th Edition system

Aurum

Exhausted
Heya!
I'm starting to dive into the beautiful world of DMing D&D, Pathfinder, LoTR, and adapting all those settings to the Dungeons the Dragoning system.

What's "Dungeons the Dragoning 40k 7th Edition", you ask?
I hope that most of you in these forums are aware, but this system was born in 4chan, made entirely by one lone user known as "Lawful Nice". It's a really cool and adaptable system using d10s for checks, and the number of dice you roll and keep is determined by the amount of points you have in the specific skills and stats you are checking.
It originally has more of a scy-fy setting with a beautiful interplanar lore, deities, races, and the like. But a friend of mine has adapted it to work incredibly well for a Pokemon adventure and honestly, I wanna try it out in written form.

Setting
The world of Pokemon is large, wild, and dangerous. Young people of any race are welcome to try their hand at becoming Pokemon trainers, but this isn't something just anyone can do. It takes years of Academy training and, once you receive your certificate, you are allowed one initial Pokemon in order to explore the world, but are handed also a bunch of rules you need to follow in order to keep being considered a Trainer in the eyes of the law. After all, Pokemon are extremely dangerous creatures, born with unbelieveable power and abilities. They only listen to those they deem worthy, and if you are considered unable to control yours, there is a chance your Trainer certificate will be taken away together with your Pokemon.
However, not all is grim! Pokemon are amazing companions, and more often than not they listen to the people who caught them. A Trainer is allowed to go on wonderful adventures with them, in order to get stronger together, and maybe, just maybe, some day, win the Pokemon League.
Not everything is about Pokemon here, though. People of all races imaginable live in this world, and although magic is slightly uncommon, adventurers are usually able to try their hand at it. What I'm saying is, imagine the world of Pathfinder you are accostumed to, take away some magical proliferance, add Pokemon and the Pokemon games' techonology, and there you have it.

The Campaign
This will be a sandbox world where you can do whatever. I expect most of you to move in groups of two or three, or even more if you'd like. There is an overarching narrative I have in mind, but I'd rather leave it a surprise. After all, you don't really need to follow it if you don't want to. I will allow almost any playable race, and will help you all with your DtheD character sheets. You can roll the dice at home or with any website you are comfortable with, and more often that not I will trust whatever you tell me, so try to be as honest as you can with what you roll. After all, part of the fun is also to see the characters struggle.
All characters will start out right after graduating from the Pokemon Academy. I will forge a list of possible inital Pokemon, and the choosing will be done in-roll. I have a map ready together with some NPCs.

The Characters
Dungeons the Dragoning has three things you need to decide when you are making a new character: Race, Exaltation, and Devotion.
-Race: As I've said before, you can choose any race you'd like, really. Unless I think it will clash with the narrative too badly, or is too much, you are allowed to do whatever you want.
-Exaltation: In DtheD, what makes a character worthy of being the protagonist of their story is their Exaltation. This is what allows them to perform feats impossible for the typical member of their race or world. Usually there are a lot to chose from, but for this homebrew all characters will have the same one: PKMN Trainer. Having this exaltation will allow them to control these incredible creatures, and give them boons when it comes to pushing them a little bit further in the middle of a duel, or hunt.
-Devotion: As with exaltation, Devotion for the playable characters will be the same: Trainer. Everyone starts with 6 devotion points, and you will have to follow some general rules regarding the use and treatment of Pokemon in order to keep yourself and your pokemon sane. If you ignore these rules in-roll, things can get ugly for your character. I will go into more detail if and when this takes off.

Now, what about the class you may be asking. Well, DtD has a special system in which the level of a class is comprised of 5 specific feats, all of which you need to have in order to gain a class level and access the next 5 specific feats. However, that will not be the case here. Classes are pretty much free to do as you please here, and you will go up a level as soon as you have bought 5 different feats and have a certain amount of Skill points allocated. Of course this doesn't mean you can do whatever the hell you like lol. I'll give you all the list of available feats, and you can look for more in the system's forums (which has a lot of really interesting homebrews), but you will have to ask me first if that's ok.

I know this seems like a lot of arbitrary rules but believe me, this works. I've been playing a session like this for like a month and it's tons of fun. I just wanna give other people the same cool experience and practice my DMing skills haha.
Let me know if this piques your interest, and don't be shy to ask me any questions. I'll leave the link to download the first two manuals later if you're interested in reading them, but keep in mind that I'm cutting a lot out in order to make the roleplaying and character building smoother for all.

Thanks!

I'm gonna have to get myself up to scratch on DtD again, but consider my hat in the ring.

starters will be the general fare? Or a wider range? Considering a type specific trainer to keep it interesting myself.

I'm gonna have to get myself up to scratch on DtD again, but consider my hat in the ring.

starters will be the general fare? Or a wider range? Considering a type specific trainer to keep it interesting myself.

There will be a list of all available starters, and each character will choose one in a specific order I've already decided (its based on some things you choose in your character sheet).
No, there won't be just the classic starters, I think it more realistic to have a wider range of mostly common Pokemon to start with. There will be many different types.

There will be a list of all available starters, and each character will choose one in a specific order I've already decided (its based on some things you choose in your character sheet).
No, there won't be just the classic starters, I think it more realistic to have a wider range of mostly common Pokemon to start with. There will be many different types.
Nifty, I'll get on it once I'm finished classes.

Hey there! I love D&D and I love pokemon so I am so undescribably interested in this. :) I'm probably going to need some help making a character but I'd love to join!

I am interested in this table top pokemon game. Though I have never played Pathdfinder, have played D&D though.

Oh cool!
Alright I'll put together a character creation thread with a more in-depth explanation of how to do it. Gimme a little time.

Bumping! We already have four people, one or two more would be great. We are starting this weekend.

I just saw this and I am VERY interested!

I was actually just daydreaming about pokemon/pathfinder at work today!

I also just left a message on Discord.

Last edited:
norway norway of course! Go right ahead to the Discord link up there and you can read the short handy guide I made to explain everything. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!

Also I may have forgotten my phone at home today so I'll check out Discord when I get there in a few hours.

It is! I was sick for a couple of days which is why the RP didn't advance much yet. You can still join if you go to our Discord!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back