• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Interest check! looking to start a "Fantasy/Nation-building" RPG!

Thanks to advice and guidance of my friendly player-base I've dressed up the actual RP thread, changing the name to "A New World", and filling in the appropriate overview and character submission form sections. Thanks a billion for alerting me to these, it would take me ages to find all the cool features if I had to do all this stage dressing AND discover it all on my own. <3

So as it exists, It seems there are safeguards in place to prevent dice-flubbing.

ON DICE FLUBBING OR ANYTHING ELSE THAT COULD BE PERCEIVED AS CHEATING, TROLLING, OR OTHER SHENANIGANS:

I am sure with the present company there is nothing to worry about, but DON'T DO IT, even if other party members are counting on a natural 20, even if you're concerned your character might die. Even if you can get away with it without me knowing, PLEASE DON'T. For two reasons, that I am only stating not because I don't trust everyone, but that I feel I must make it clear:

1) Flubbing dice rolls steals the element of fate from the game. we'll never know how the chips would have fallen if you slant the table in your favor, things may end up worse in the end, anyway.

2) It would really, really, REALLY be bad for overall game morale. My running this game as many of you already see, will be a labor of love and I hope everyone has a great time either playing or even reading along. Don't give me reasons to be sad about my game. We are all giving each other something very special by playing well with each other, and being fair. I'm counting on you.

@Beckoncall (sorry for any grammar errors. Doing this from my phone.)

The Tyren

1) Orm Black-charger. Orm is a black furred Minotaur and one of the largest of his race. In the broad strokes of the fantasy genre Orm is considered a barbarian, a warrior who when pushed enters a violent frenzy like state. The shaman of the tribe saw this in Orm when he was brought before them at a young age. The Tyren call it being "Touched by the blood." From their Orm's path was set as a fighter for his caravan.

As a young bull Orm was always raring to go. He was the first into a fight and the last to leave and given his people's poor standing in the world, there were plenty of fights to go around. No one could mistake him on the battlefield. The black bull with a broken horn, swinging a cleaver like ax that was almost the size of a human man. Armed with that and the studded leathers on his back Orm could smash into any foe he met with an ear splitting roar. That was when he was a young lad though. Time, struggle and responsibilities have mellowed him since. Orm has gained more control over the rage, as all good chargers learn in time. Keeping it tame and saving it for those that earn it.

Orm gained the respect of his people not just for martial prowess but for a calm mind and soft voice. He councils patience where others rush in and is almost fatherly to the young of his tribe. Despite some folksy wisdom Orm would be considered dim by other races. He cannot speak more than a few words of the common tongue and his people do not have a fully formed written language, instead relying on oral tradition and primitive runes. Not to mention he's never set hoof in a real city or on a ship before in his life!

2) The Tyren are a group of pastoral nomad tribes. Rather than settle down in one place too long they travel with their herds to seasonal grazing grounds. Their main animals including: Cattle, goats and sheep. Their caravans are pulled by cows (or each other in an emergency) since horses tend to fear them and are off little use what with the average Minotaur being too large to ride any traditional mounts. Despite the common opinion the Tyren are not a warlike culture as a whole. After all a Tyren must think that if he goes to war then who will look after his goats?! Sure the young bulls are loud and boisterous, looking to mark themselves out as strong fighters but they're easily kept happy with rugged ritual fights and tests of strength that rarely end in major bloodshed or injury.

In times like that the few touched by the blood are kept in check by the shaman. The wise horns considered "Touched by the moon." Thought of as eccentrics by the rest of the caravan, shamans usually keep to themselves unless they're called out for council or spiritual duties. They also act as mediators on small disputes or personal matters too small to worry the chief over.

The Tyren believe the world is full of many gods and spirits, most of whom couldn't care less about mortal shenanigans. But some are curious or kind enough to hang over a caravan. Whatever their nature it is said the shaman can commune with then (usually while smoking something strange to "open their mind") to gain their wisdom and advice. It is said this is where the shaman gain their power.

The Tyren prefer to stick to grasslands and calm mountainous areas where they can easily care for their animals. This way they can keep track of their charges and keep an eye out for any threat that isn't scared off by just the sight of them. That grim appearance has saved plenty of Tyren necks while also making them shunned by the small races. The hornless get so upset about things looking different. That racial aggression and prejudice has lead to the Tyren becoming more insular with each generation as they're pushed out of their ancestral grazing lands by sheer numbers and encroaching cities.

One last little fact. They can and do eat meat. Tyren Minotaurs have human like canine teeth that are to scale with the rest of their teeth. Unsurprisingly these "giant fangs" have given rise to plenty of stories like how they eat babies and such. They don't, unless you mean lambs. They also don't eat beef due to social taboo. Cows are kept for labour and dairy.

3) Orm is hoping to establish a new home for his people. One where they can live peacefully and not have to be constantly moving, far away from the underlords who discarded them when they did not fit their plan.

Secretly he has another dream. Orm is not very religious, caring little about the spirits and though he'd never admit it, he believes the ancient legends that say the first Minotaur was born in a land far across the great blue. Orm believes this is that land and hopes to find something to prove it like a lost Minotaur Kingdom that could bring them back to greatness.

4) Shaman - 3 (15 points)

Skilled workers - 16 (64 points)

Designated fighters - 10 (40 points)

Exotic goods (pending Gm approval)

Dark leaf: Chew when wet, smoke when dry. Easily the safest plant the shamans have ever cultivated this leaf is a lot like real world tobacco but with a bull sized kick. You won't find a brand to match this luxury item.

Bull iron - Wandering Nomads don't have easy access to blacksmiths and with most villages too scared of them to trade the Tyren found themselves facing a shortage of tools and weapons come winter. As they held up in their cave shelters one shaman found the answer. After an all night bender (though the story paints it differently) they finally had words with the spirit of the mountain. In its drunken revelry the spirit let slip how to make a new metal. So the winter forges were built. Not quite a metal, not quite an ore. Like the Tyren it falls somewhere inbetween. Denser, stronger and a damn sight heavier than regular iron. Just what a Minotaur would want! No one knows how the bulls make it but they're bringing the secret to their new home.

Last edited by a moderator:
@SpiralErrant

Approved. Very nice stuff, but I think it's obvious that due to the very small size of your faction, practically a family -- your position may be precarious, especially if you take casualties.

Shul, Your first shaman is the interpreter for the caravan. Nigh endless travel requires that somebody be able to communicate to trade and keep peace with strangers. Their magical abilities are limited (mostly cantrips, startling effects, and perhaps a charm or two when necessary to calm the locals.) This shaman is also the most prolific communicator with spirits, the altered states involved occasionally causing conflicts with more worldly protocol duties.

Bruul, Your second shaman is of a militant sort. Older and likewise calm of demeanor, when circumstances dictate this shaman aids the caravan in ending would-be fights quickly, or tipping the balance when the tide may turn. This shaman is able to wield "Force magic", Entering trances where he "Chambers" multiple blows to save for a later time when they are unleashed, sometimes all at once. Orm once saw him "punch" a mercenary from ten feet away only to see the man literally blown apart from the inside, Though Bruul insists that the man "being full of hot wind" helped the spell tremendously. He is also slowly mastering an almost lost art of Rune-Magic, taught to the caravan's ancestors by a friendly people in time long forgotten, when some humans still shared the land. The name of the art is lost to the Tyren, but it's practice has been a saving grace more than once in his people's history. The Rune magic studies the "Intent" that lay in observing a single spell he witnesses cast or scroll he can possess, and copying it. The process is time consuming, laborious, and often costly, especially considering the "Intent" of each spell can be copied only once before it must be witnessed again or another copy found... But tales of past generations tell of spells far out of the reach of normal mages being duplicated, albeit briefly, in this way. Bruul made a pretty penny and some reputation serving as the "Mascot" of a feared mercenary company when Orm was still a yearling. He came back to the Caravan though, and brought with him a little knowledge of the ways of war.

Ummush, The third shaman, is the eldest and Orm's most trusted advisor. Ummush seldom speaks unless his counsel is requested -- as to hear his counsel and ignore it raises an ire in him than he can suppress only with pain and dedication to his station. Ummush carries a set of runic plates, a miniscule runic record stamped into sheets of finest Bull Iron. Thoughout the ages, the herd has travelled far and seen much -- in a lifetime, a few lines of runes are etched that are important enough to commit to the "memories of ancestors." Consulting these plates has often yielded concrete information about serious problems that have been faced before, and even when not directly relevant interpretations of the runes can often have several helpful, even possibly prophetic findings. In some times the plates have been used to turn easy silver telling fortunes, in others it has saved the caravan from dangers so hideous the simple mind of the average Tyren could scarcely comprehend them. Ummush is venerable, and easily twice as old as any other member of the caravan still alive. He does not talk about the type of spells he might cast on the battlefield. Them that know Ummush know it is a horrible idea to even broach the subject - even when Tyren lives have been at stake. Ummush in the last decade has only spoken unbidden three times -- and twice it was to wish that his age take him before he weaves another spell in anger. In recent years he has become even more distant, watching the herd-animals unless called to camp or food.

Dark leaf is approved. Your caravan has brought a fair amount of it with them... but planting new crop may be an issue. The herd for time untold hid patches of Dark leaf all along their established routes, picking it to process and sell, there will be no such "wild stores" where you are going.

Bull Iron -- (Almost too good to allow, but considering the drawbacks you've taken on faction size I'm allowing it. I would define this as an exceptional good, but is being acquired as "very special") -- I am considering this something akin to damascus steel -- except in this case it is a "cold iron" process where unsmelted material is infused with higher densities of carbon through sheer Tyren brute force. (this is of course a secret) -- because Bull iron is "metal uncorrupted by Infernal power" (ie: A forge) the best examples of the metal are said to be able to harm certain types of creatures normal metals cannot. The Tyren are not sure this is true, but in ages past the metal was especially sought for this purpose. Tyren walk calmly enough seldom to rouse restless spirits, and if the caravan ever consorted with an infernal power, it was in as much passing as any other conversant spirit to the shamans. As a drawback, true it's advantages might be -- the untrained or uninitiated seldom appreciate it's true worth. This has made Bull Iron hard to sell at a price that is worth parting with it in recent times... many buyers only finally appreciate "Their favorite knife" or "Truest shield" long after the caravan is gone, and repeat business is seldom if ever in the cards.

PLOT POINT: Your caravan owes a tremendous debt to another Tyren Caravan (the details of this debt can be left undefined or can be fleshed out) but it is said it is rooted firstly in a marital alliance that was rebuffed, or renegged, out of some ancestor's pride. If the caravan can somehow pay or cancel this debt from across the sea (sending wealth or by some other means) one or more families of this other caravan must relocate to their "neuvo-riche" dowry-makers. The way Orm sees it, unless he finds this promised lost land of the Minotaurs, it is likely this is the only way they'll see another Tyren not born in his new land...

4) Shaman - 3 (15 points)

Skilled workers - 16 (64 points)

Designated fighters - 10 (40 points)

Exotic goods (pending Gm approval)

Dark leaf: Chew when wet, smoke when dry. Easily the safest plant the shamans have ever cultivated this leaf is a lot like real world tobacco but with a bull sized kick. You won't find a brand to match this luxury item.

Bull iron - Wandering Nomads don't have easy access to blacksmiths and with most villages too scared of them to trade the Tyren found themselves facing a shortage of tools and weapons come winter. As they held up in their cave shelters one shaman found the answer. After an all night bender (though the story paints it differently) they finally had words with the spirit of the mountain. In its drunken revelry the spirit let slip how to make a new metal. So the winter forges were built. Not quite a metal, not quite an ore. Like the Tyren it falls somewhere inbetween. Denser, stronger and a damn sight heavier than regular iron. Just what a Minotaur would want! No one knows how the bulls make it but they're bringing the secret to their new home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just as an FYI -- @Melisandre has expressed her interest in being an assistant or co-GM for this campaign! If it works out as well as I'd hope, the game will be able to move faster (or at least accommodate extra players.) Since she has very similar ideas to mine with regard to potential complexities, I think it could work out well. In any case, give warmest regards when she jumps in officially, Likewise if anyone has complexities about this (now or down the line) they can PM either of us accordingly.

Will do and cant wait. I mean I need to make it up to @Melisandre after providing her a dead RP.

P.S. My character would love to help these fellow folk crushed by the Muurdaan but I mean... I have an army of convicts (about as many as other peoples ENTIRE manpower, if not more)

General Deth Glitch]Will do and cant wait. I mean I need to make it up to [URL="https://www.rpnation.com/profile/24851-melisandre/ said:
@Melisandre[/URL] after providing her a dead RP.
P.S. My character would love to help these fellow folk crushed by the Muurdaan but I mean... I have an army of convicts (about as many as other peoples ENTIRE manpower, if not more)
Yeah, I can see so far where your sympathies and lack therof would fall -- but man, I can readily see picking up the Tyren as being a disaster in this case. Btw, you needn't respond -- but dude, those elves just GAVE water to them Tyren... Some of your countrymen are PISSED.

Beckoncall said:
Yeah, I can see so far where your sympathies and lack therof would fall -- but man, I can readily see picking up the Tyren as being a disaster in this case. Btw, you needn't respond -- but dude, those elves just GAVE water to them Tyren... Some of your countrymen are PISSED.
Maybe with a second gm I can join? You can ask Deth I would do well in this rp.

Once we see how the game is progressing post-landfall, and Melisandre's level of involvement is understood I'm considering adding new players. I'll ask Deth for a reference!

Any lady nation builders out there? Just asking. A big element of my nation builder is racial tension and bigotry, if interested it could be great not just to have stronger female characters... But exploring perhaps sexism in the fantasy genre as well. Let me know if there is interest...

I'm interested. If possible I'd like to apply with the same application as your other roleplay. If you'd like I'll bump the convo

BUMP.

Seeking leaders to grow and rule the colony! Apply here or in PM if interested!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back