Advice/Help Interest-Check For Co-Creators?

VargasLagola

~ daughter of a rifleman ~
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Hey!
I was just wondering if there's somewhere one could make like an "Interest-Check For Co-Creator"? I have this roleplay idea but I feel like I would need help creating it. Like a co-creator/co-gm kind of deal?
Thanks in advance! =)

I think you can pretty much do it here on roleplay discussion and label under the "idea" prefix, which I think is meant to indicate the sharing of a roleplay concept.

SPILL THE BEANS! WHAT'S THE IDEA?!

HOW CAN WE HELP!?!?!?

AGGHHHHH!!!! <3
Haha, I love the enthusiasm!

Basically, this is my idea:
The roleplay takes place mostly in Europe, sometime in the 1970's. (An exact year is yet to be decided.) It will start in a jail where all of the characters get to know each other and so on. (Your character can come from any part of the world.) After a while they manage to break out of the prison and on the outside they agree to start a gang. (I imagine there would be maybe around ten characters in the roleplay.) Then the roleplay will focus on bank robberies, drug trafficking, parties and other things that go in line with the criminal life-style.
Here's the thing though, I want this roleplay to have an exaggerated comedic twist to it. They're actually from the start a bunch of shit criminals who dealt with petty crimes who always got caught. Each roleplayer will have to make up a story as for why they're in the prison where they all meet. Once they've escaped, they will most often barely make it and if they ever get caught again it will be because of some stupid mistake on their part. They will become this really famous group of criminals who looks like they always know exactly what they're doing, but in reality luck is all they have.
I also want each character to be like a "specific role", for example, one trigger-happy guy who shoots even when it's unnecessary, one stoner who's sort of stupid, one guy who's always pushed to do the most dangerous stuff, one guy who's super paranoid and so on.

I really think it could turn out to be a fun roleplay! I want all the roleplay to feel like they're a part of the plotting so will be more than welcome to come with ideas. =)

Once they've escaped, they will most often barely make it and if they ever get caught again it will be because of some stupid mistake on their part. They will become this really famous group of criminals who looks like they always know exactly what they're doing, but in reality luck is all they have.

If I were you, I wouldn't try to force this part. Everything else is in the territory of what can be done with a premise and relatively cooperative players. This part, however, is the outcome of the actions throughout the RP. It's something even someone who's really into planning would hesitate to set in stone and trying to force it will likely backfire.

I'd recommend instead trying to be clear that the characters aren't supposed to be especially competent, but help out with highly exagerated comedic events to establish the tone early on. I doubt it'll be easy to seemlessly pull off, but the thing I would absolutely avoid doing is setting up that "they will barely make it" or "in reality luck is all they have" because getting either of these outcomes means that you as a GM would have to purposefully make it so if a player does put in the effort to come up with a really cool and creative idea you have to make it fail one way or another. In other words, player agency, and hence player investment in your roleplay, would be rendered pointless.

If I were you, I wouldn't try to force this part. Everything else is in the territory of what can be done with a premise and relatively cooperative players. This part, however, is the outcome of the actions throughout the RP. It's something even someone who's really into planning would hesitate to set in stone and trying to force it will likely backfire.

I'd recommend instead trying to be clear that the characters aren't supposed to be especially competent, but help out with highly exagerated comedic events to establish the tone early on. I doubt it'll be easy to seemlessly pull off, but the thing I would absolutely avoid doing is setting up that "they will barely make it" or "in reality luck is all they have" because getting either of these outcomes means that you as a GM would have to purposefully make it so if a player does put in the effort to come up with a really cool and creative idea you have to make it fail one way or another. In other words, player agency, and hence player investment in your roleplay, would be rendered pointless.
That makes a lot of sense, thank you for your input! This would be my first time being a GM so any advice is helpful! =)

An inspiration you could draw from is the video game PAYDAY2 -- there is lots of info and maps for heists and stuff for it on the web.

One way I think you can have your shenanigans without forcing it is to have a list of QUIRKS you want in the gang, and everyone picks two PERKS "talents they have or should have regardless of competance, like enforcer, mastermind, hacker, technician, etc. and after they have their perks made up or from a list, they pick from a list of quirks you have in mind.

Unfortunately I have no interest or confidence in running a roleplay on here at the moment, but I love this idea to bits and I would join in a heartbeat

An inspiration you could draw from is the video game PAYDAY2 -- there is lots of info and maps for heists and stuff for it on the web.

One way I think you can have your shenanigans without forcing it is to have a list of QUIRKS you want in the gang, and everyone picks two PERKS "talents they have or should have regardless of competance, like enforcer, mastermind, hacker, technician, etc. and after they have their perks made up or from a list, they pick from a list of quirks you have in mind.
That's some great advice, love it! Thank you! =)

Unfortunately I have no interest or confidence in running a roleplay on here at the moment, but I love this idea to bits and I would join in a heartbeat
Haha, I'll let you know if I get it going! =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back