• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy INTEREST CHECK: Aether: The Age of Light [1 space}

just wondering what part of the world you're from. because in my experience one person's night could be another's day. I'm from the west side of america.

Great! I'm from the UK too.

I'll make my character obsessed with reaching the Wetlands since their far-back ancestors used to live their. Perhaps they were outright rejected from Lumen so their desire to try and live in the Wetlands increased. However, after only a week, they had to leave due to being unable to continue so now they're trying to get everything they need from Alcamoth (although will not succeed in living in the Wetlands). Then in Alcamoth, perhaps they could try and refine their small healing power.

Great! I'm from the UK too.

I'll make my character obsessed with reaching the Wetlands since their far-back ancestors used to live their. Perhaps they were outright rejected from Lumen so their desire to try and live in the Wetlands increased. However, after only a week, they had to leave due to being unable to continue so now they're trying to get everything they need from Alcamoth (although will not succeed in living in the Wetlands). Then in Alcamoth, perhaps they could try and refine their small healing power.

I do need to underline this to make this super clear -

No one and I mean no one would want to actually live in the Wetlands. Trying to visit it, sure. Lots of potential rewards - but living? You'd have to be insane.

Perhaps, in his/her need to get to the Lumen, they believe if they get something from the Wetlands as an offering they'd be allowed in?

Avari Avari Is there the possibility of a someone with the "spark" ever getting better at magic on their own without formal training by the Church? If not, what's the most powerful display of magic they could perform, even if it resulted int heir death?

ok, got it
Avari Avari Is there the possibility of a someone with the "spark" ever getting better at magic on their own without formal training by the Church? If not, what's the most powerful display of magic they could perform, even if it resulted int heir death?

Most powerful?

Hmm. If someone had an unnatural talent, and had trained for a decade and was insanely strong willed...

Might be able to kill a bug with a spurt of flame maybe.

Most powerful?

Hmm. If someone had an unnatural talent, and had trained for a decade and was insanely strong willed...

Of course, the Church doesn't have a monopoly on Mages. The Lumen have their own goddess, and can take mana from the earth itself.

But it's kinda like teaching yourself brain surgery. You need someone who knows what they're doing. And the rituals are also quite complex.

Mages are powerful things. But there's sacrifices required - both for the character and the player.

Most powerful?

ok so that's just plain sad.
So, how would a trained mage who'd yet to complete the Ritual compare?
Of course, the Church doesn't have a monopoly on Mages. The Lumen have their own goddess, and can take mana from the earth itself.

But it's kinda like teaching yourself brain surgery. You need someone who knows what they're doing. And the rituals are also quite complex.
except there's no way any of our characters would know anything about how Lumens do magic let alone how to replicate it, successfully.

Are there any other sources of mana that a mage could draw from?
Mages are powerful things. But there's sacrifices required - both for the character and the player.
Yeah, I can see that.

OK more questions. Apologies for the third degree.
  1. How do mages use magic? Force of will, using wands, with incantations, using spell circles and reageants, or a combination of any?
  2. If mages need to complete the ritual to get a full charge, why don't they do it more often than monthly to stay more at their peak, or even adapt a ritual that can be done nightly to top off their power and keep it at a more constant level?
  3. Can mages band together to create magic in synergy (greater than the sum of its parts)? If so, are there specials conditions that need to be met first?
  4. Can a mage's Ritual given power be stolen?
  5. Can a mage's spark be stolen?
  6. Can either of those be simply lost?
  7. Is it possible for a mage to burn out their spark and become a regular person?
  8. Can mages ever become overloaded with magic and "explode"?
Avari Avari

OK more questions. Apologies for the third degree.
  1. How do mages use magic? Force of will, using wands, with incantations, using spell circles and reageants, or a combination of any?
  2. If mages need to complete the ritual to get a full charge, why don't they do it more often than monthly to stay more at their peak, or even adapt a ritual that can be done nightly to top off their power and keep it at a more constant level?
  3. Can mages band together to create magic in synergy (greater than the sum of its parts)? If so, are there specials conditions that need to be met first?
  4. Can a mage's Ritual given power be stolen?
  5. Can a mage's spark be stolen?
  6. Can either of those be simply lost?
  7. Is it possible for a mage to burn out their spark and become a regular person?
  8. Can mages ever become overloaded with magic and "explode"?
Avari Avari

Okay, so haven't thought about some of these so it's personal headcannon time -

1) Mages don't require any equipment to use magic, it's all hands on. It's just a case of developing their powers as they adjust to them.

2) You know how constantly charging a battery causes it to get a crap capacity over time? It's kinda like that. If you did it every night you'd probably explode. Plus the Deities are not entities that can be beckoned at whim - One might require the full moon for example, or have other stipulations.

3) I mean I don't see why not.

4) nah.

5) nah

6) nah

7) Doubtful.

8) After a ritual, Mages are... Odd things. Some might have a bit of sensory overload, or be bubbling over with energy. A supernatural high, so to speak. I've never thought about a Mage overloading, but that's probably why the very first time can in fact kill them and why the training is so important.

Okay, so haven't thought about some of these so it's personal headcannon time -

1) Mages don't require any equipment to use magic, it's all hands on. It's just a case of developing their powers as they adjust to them.

2) You know how constantly charging a battery causes it to get a crap capacity over time? It's kinda like that. If you did it every night you'd probably explode. Plus the Deities are not entities that can be beckoned at whim - One might require the full moon for example, or have other stipulations.

3) I mean I don't see why not.

4) nah.

5) nah

6) nah

7) Doubtful.

8) After a ritual, Mages are... Odd things. Some might have a bit of sensory overload, or be bubbling over with energy. A supernatural high, so to speak. I've never thought about a Mage overloading, but that's probably why the very first time can in fact kill them and why the training is so important.
ok and what about my other questions?

Alright. What if my character was a shady elf whose reason for trying to enter the Wetlands is in order to find artefacts and sell them for a fortune. The reason why she wouldn't be allowed into the forest would be because of how she's planning to misuse these ruins for monetary gain. Perhaps later on she'll change her mind on what she'll do if she manages to reach the ruins (unlikely that she'll get there).

Alright. What if my character was a shady elf whose reason for trying to enter the Wetlands is in order to find artefacts and sell them for a fortune. The reason why she wouldn't be allowed into the forest would be because of how she's planning to misuse these ruins for monetary gain. Perhaps later on she'll change her mind on what she'll do if she manages to reach the ruins (unlikely that she'll get there).

This is called character development.

And I dig it.

So just curious, are Magi still able to be warriors? Or would to much of their time be dedicated to their art to be one?

Thanks for answering my questions. I'll definitely have more as we go, but you can mark me down for a Half-elf mage with issue with authority.
Avari Avari

You're welcome! I'll have to update the lore page. Just remember we're being pretty strict on mages, since they're like 0.05% of the population. I'll just be choosing the most interested character submissions. <3

It doesn't matter what angle you approach the forest from, it rejects you instantly. The trees close ranks, forming an inpentrable barrier.
Oh, forgot to ask this. What would happen if, say, an imperial elf or half-elf were to do the same thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back